- 1. A hundred years ago,
all was right with our world.
- 2. Prosperity and peace filled our days.
- 3. The Four Nations:
- 4. Water, Earth, Fire and Air Nomads
lived amongst each other in harmony.
- 5. Great respect was afforded to all those
who could bend their natural element.
- 6. The Avatar was the only person
born amongst all the nations
- 7. who could master all four elements.
- 8. He was the only one who could
communicate with the Spirit world.
- 9. With the Spirits'guidance,
the Avatar kept balance in the world.
- 10. And then, a hundred years ago,
he just disappeared.
- 11. I'm sorry. I'm sorry!
- 12. Hey, I'm sorry.
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!
- 13. I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Hey!
It worked better that time.
- 14. I thought about Mom. Isn't that strange?
- 15. Yeah. I guess so.
- 16. Just stop doing that stuff around me.
I always get wet.
- 17. My brother and I live
in the Southern water Tribe,
- 18. which was once a big city.
Our father is off fighting in The war.
- 19. My mother was taken prisoner
and killed when I was young.
- 20. In this time of war, food is scarce.
- 21. My brother and I often
go hunting for food,
- 22. but, unfortunately, my brother
isn't the best hunter in the world.
- 23. - Tiger seal.
- Are you sure?
- 24. I did everything Dad said to do.
- 25. I watched which side of the fin tracks
are more indented.
- 26. That shows which
direction they're going.
- 27. I saw how long the drag skids are.
That shows you how fast they're going.
- 28. There's something under there.
- 29. It's a cave-in!
Move away from the cracks!
- 30. Katara, don't go near it.
This is probably some Fire Nation trick.
- 31. Just back away really slow.
- 32. Katara! Do not hit that sphere!
- 33. Uncle, look!
- 34. Is he breathing?
- 35. Did you see that light
shoot into the sky?
- 36. What's your name?
- 37. How did you get here?
How did you get in the ice?
- 38. He's exhausted.
- 39. We need to get him back to the village.
- 40. What is this thing?
- 41. It's trying to eat me!
- 42. Look. See?
- 43. How'd you get all the way out here?
- 44. I ran away from home.
- 45. We got in a storm. We were forced
under the water of the ocean.
- 46. I see.
- 47. It wasn't very smart. I was just upset.
- 48. - Thanks for saving me.
- 49. I probably should get home.
They'll all be worried.
- 50. - You're not still upset?
- Not as much as I was.
- 51. The Fire Nation is here.
- 52. - What?
- And they brought their machines.
- 53. Don't come out
till I tell you it's safe.
- 54. - Is something wrong?
- No. Please wait here.
- 55. - Hurry, now!
- Secure the area!
- 56. It can't be coincidence
that we break him out of the ice,
- 57. light shoots into the sky and now the
Fire Nation is here with their machines.
- 58. Sokka, don't.
- 59. I am Prince Zuko...
- 60. son of Fire Lord Ozai
and heir to the throne!
- 61. Bring me all your elderly!
- 62. - Papa!
- 63. Yeah?
- 64. Grandma!
- 65. Please don't... don't harm him!
- 66. Come on!
- 67. Katara, don't.
- 68. - Form a line!
- Come on!
- 69. Here.
- 70. Hey.
- 71. Grammy!
- 72. You're scaring these people.
- 73. Who are you? what's your name?
- 74. - I don't need to tell you anything.
- 75. I'm taking you to my ship.
- 76. If you don't come,
I'll burn down this village.
- 77. I'll go with you.
Don't hurt anyone.
- 78. They were looking for someone old
and they were looking for someone
- 79. With the same markings the boy had.
- 80. They dragged Mom away
the same way when we were babies.
- 81. She wouldn't have watched us being
taken away. She would have fought.
- 82. We found that boy. He's our
responsibility. We should fight.
- 83. What would you do
if they tried to take me away?
- 84. I'd kill them all.
- 85. - Why?
- Because you're my sister.
- 86. Because Dad told me
to protect you with my life.
- 87. Because I'm your responsibility.
And this boy is our responsibility.
- 88. What do you want us to do, Katara?
How are we supposed to save him?
- 89. They're on a ship.
We'd need a miracle to catch them.
- 90. I know you think everything's
going to work out, but I don't.
- 91. His bison creature thing floats.
- 92. What do you want with me?
- 93. My nephew wants me to perform
a little test on you.
- 94. - What kind of test?
- I assure you, it won't hurt.
- 95. I've performed it hundreds of times.
It only takes a few moments.
- 96. And then you're free to go.
- 97. Would you mind if I put a few things
in front of you at the table?
- 98. It will only take a moment.
- 99. That's all you want?
- 100. My name is Iroh,
and you have my word.
- 101. Grandma, I know
you're gonna try to stop us,
- 102. - but this is just something I need...
- Sit down.
- 103. I knew from the first time
We discovered you were a Bender,
- 104. that one day,
I would realize your destiny.
- 105. There hasn't been a waterbender
in the Southern water Tribe
- 106. since my friend Hama was taken away.
- 107. Today, I found out that destiny.
- 108. Did you see that boy's tattoos?
- 109. Tattoos like that haven't
been seen in over a century.
- 110. I believe they are Airbending tattoos.
- 111. How can that be?
- 112. I believe that little boy
might be the Avatar.
- 113. Once, a long time ago,
the Spirit world kept balance over us.
- 114. What is the Spirit world, Grandma?
- 115. It's not a place made up
of things you can touch.
- 116. But it exists, nonetheless.
- 117. It is filled with the most amazing forms
of dazzling creatures...
- 118. that exist in the most
exotic valleys, mountains and forests.
- 119. Each of these creatures is a Spirit.
- 120. They've watched over us
since the beginning.
- 121. They have guided us. And only
the Avatar can go speak to them.
- 122. Aren't there Spirits here?
- 123. Yes, there are some Spirits
that live hidden among us,
- 124. sure they're watching us
With great sadness...
- 125. The Fire Nation doesn't wish
to live by the Spirits.
- 126. That's why they're so frightened
by the existence of the Avatar.
- 127. - What can he do?
- With his mastery of the four elements,
- 128. he will begin to change hearts.
- 129. And it is in the heart
that all wars are won.
- 130. Now, go help this boy.
- 131. He will need you tWo.
- 132. And we all need him.
- 133. You are my prisoner...
- 134. Airbender.
- 135. I'm taking you back to the Fire Nation.
- 136. - You said...
- I apologize.
- 137. I should have explained further.
- 138. If you failed the test, as all others
did, you were free to leave.
- 139. But, as it turns out, you are
the only one in the entire world
- 140. Who could pass this test.
- 141. It is truly an honor
to be in your presence.
- 142. Don't even try to escape.
This is a warship!
- 143. Stop! There's no way you can...
- 144. Don't move! You have nowhere to run!
- 145. Halt!
- 146. Don't let him escape!
- 147. Get him!
- 148. Thanks for bringing Appa to me.
- 149. The Fire Nation is up to something.
I have to go back now.
- 150. - We'll come with you.
- I can take you back to the village.
- 151. We're going with you.
- 152. You found the Avatar.
- 153. For a moment, I had my honor back.
- 154. Your destinies are tied, Zuko.
That, you can be sure of.
- 155. Aang flew us to his home. He told us
how he left there in a storm on Appa,
- 156. and got forced into the ocean
where they almost drowned.
- 157. Aang Airbended a sphere around them,
and ice formed.
- 158. And he couldn't remember
anything after that.
- 159. Hey, Chinto! Monae! I'm back!
- 160. Hey, guys! I want you to meet someone!
- 161. This is where you live?
- 162. They must be playing some trick
- 163. Monk Gyatso is gonna try and jump out
and scare me at any moment.
- 164. He's the teacher responsible for me.
- 165. He's kind of like my father.
- 166. - Is it OK if you tell me your name?
- The monks named me Aang.
- 167. OK, guys! Enough!
- 168. Spider-rat!
They're poisonous! Get behind me.
- 169. He's a flying lemur-bat.
We keep them as pets.
- 170. Weren't they extinct a long time ago?
- 171. Extinct? No, there must be thousands
of them on this mountain.
- 172. Your friends were monks?
- 173. I know where they are right now.
They're at the prayer field!
- 174. Aang, wait! I have to talk to you!
- 175. Aang...
- 176. I think you were in that ice
for almost a hundred years.
- 177. - The Firebenders started a war.
- I left a few days ago.
- 178. Aang, the Fire Nation knew the Avatar
Would be born into the Air Nomads...
- 179. so they exterminated
all the Air Nomads.
- 180. You're Iying!
- 181. You're Iying!
- 182. This is Monk Gyatso's.
- 183. I made it for him.
- 184. No!
- 185. Katara! Stay away from him!
- 186. Katara!
- 187. Stay away from him!
- 188. Your friends were monks?
- 189. The Avatar?
- 190. Where have you been?
- 191. Aang!
- 192. You can't bring Monk Gyatso back,
- 193. but Sokka and I can be with you
as long as you need!
- 194. Don't give up! we can do this together!
- 195. Aang!
- 196. The banished prince.
- 197. Let's offer him lunch.
- 198. I wanted to thank
the great General Iroh
- 199. and young Prince Zuko
for dining with us.
- 200. As you know, the Fire Lord
has banished his son, the Prince,
- 201. and renounced his love of him, and will
not let him return to the throne
- 202. unless he finds the Avatar.
- 203. The Fire Lord believes his son
is too soft,
- 204. and by doing this,
he will become strong
- 205. and become a worthy heir
to the throne.
- 206. I commend the Fire Lord's discipline.
- 207. For example, it seems
I need to remind Prince Zuko
- 208. that, during his banishment,
he is an enemy of the Fire Nation
- 209. and is not allowed
to wear the Fire Nation uniform.
- 210. But we will let him wear it today,
- 211. like a child wearing a costume.
- 212. One day, my father will take me back
and you will bow before me.
- 213. You OK?
- 214. I'll be fine.
- 215. You know, my grandma thinks
because you're an Airbender,
- 216. that you could be the Avatar.
- 217. How much does
the Fire Nation control?
- 218. A lot of villages in the Earth Kingdom,
like around here.
- 219. They haven't been able to conquer
big cities, like Ba Sing Se,
- 220. but they're making plans, I'm sure.
- 221. So...
- 222. are you the Avatar, Aang?
- 223. What is this?
- 224. Stay hidden.
- 225. - That child is being arrested.
- For what?
- 226. He was bending tiny stones at us
from behind a tree. It really hurt.
- 227. He can bend earth?
- 228. Earthbending is forbidden
in this village.
- 229. Leave him alone.
You're not taking him anywhere.
- 230. No one is taking anybody away!
- 231. She's a bender!
- 232. Katara!
- 233. Move.
- 234. You, too.
- 235. Dad!
- 236. - This is my father.
- 237. That's the Fire Nation's plan,
suppress all other bending.
- 238. How did this happen to your village?
- 239. Fire Nation sent soldiers.
We fought them and defeated them.
- 240. Then they sent their machines,
huge machines made of metal.
- 241. There was nothing we could do.
- 242. Those who could not bend were
allowed to live in peace,
- 243. if we were imprisoned.
- 244. Earthbenders!
- 245. Why are you acting this way?
You are powerful and amazing people!
- 246. You don't need to live like this!
There is earth right beneath your feet.
- 247. The ground is an extension
of who you are!
- 248. If the Avatar had returned...
- 249. Would that mean anything to you?
- 250. The Avatar is dead.
If he was here, he would protect us.
- 251. My name is Aang...
- 252. and I am the Avatar.
- 253. I ran away, but I'm back now.
- 254. It's time for you to stop doing this!
- 255. The Avatar would have to be an
Airbender. Are you an Airbender, boy?
- 256. Leave him alone!
- 257. How is he doing that?
- 258. I don't want to hurt anyone.
- 259. All Airbenders should be dead.
Kill him! Firebenders, positions!
- 260. OK! Everybody can help us now!
- 261. Don't be afraid!
- 262. Just leave them!
- 263. Fall back!
- 264. Go! He's an Airbender!
- 265. They took away any tools
related to bending.
- 266. The Fire Nation took this scroll
from a member of your water Tribe.
- 267. A waterbending scroll.
- 268. This is rare.
My mom told me about these.
- 269. This was you when
you were born an Earthbender,
- 270. tWo lifetimes ago.
- 271. You came to our village.
- 272. Avatar Kyoshi loved games.
- 273. I do, too.
I mean, I still do.
- 274. A lot of the villages in this part
of the Earth Kingdom are occupied
- 275. by the Fire Nation,
like this village was.
- 276. They prey on the weakest towns
- 277. We should go visit
some of these towns, Aang.
- 278. - I need to tell you something.
- What is it, Aang?
- 279. I ran away before they trained me
to be the Avatar.
- 280. I don't know how
to bend the other elements.
- 281. Why did you run away?
- 282. The day they told me I was the Avatar,
they said I could never
- 283. have a normal life,
that I could never have a family.
- 284. They said it cannot work with
the responsibilities of the Avatar.
- 285. - Why can't the Avatar have a family?
- I asked that!
- 286. They said that's the sacrifice
the Avatar always has to make.
- 287. OK. So, what if we found you teachers.
Teachers to teach you bending?
- 288. Which element would you
have to learn first?
- 289. Water. Water comes
after Air in the cycle.
- 290. Air, water, Earth, Fire.
- 291. But there are really powerful benders
in the Northern water Tribe.
- 292. My dad told me about it before he left.
- 293. It's led by a princess because
her father died.
- 294. There are teachers there, but all
the way on the other side of the world.
- 295. - We can get there on Appa.
- That's what I was thinking.
- 296. And maybe we can stop
in the villages on the way,
- 297. start a change in The war
in these small villages.
- 298. - Should we try it?
- Yes, we should.
- 299. The scroll we had
was proving to be helpful.
- 300. Aang was practicing,
but for some reason,
- 301. he was having trouble
- 302. We moved from town to town
in the Earth Kingdom.
- 303. We tried to stay out of sight,
- 304. but Sokka became concerned
we were being followed.
- 305. Sire, I have good news.
- 306. As you know, I conducted a raid
on the Great Library,
- 307. - Which most said didn't exist.
- Get on with it.
- 308. I found scrolls in the library.
We are deciphering them.
- 309. But I believe they may
- 310. as to where the Ocean and Moon
Spirits live in this world.
- 311. With this information,
- 312. We could bring down
the Northern water Tribe city,
- 313. We could show the world
the true strength of fire.
- 314. I am pleased.
- 315. Well, Commander Zhao,
are the rumors true or not?
- 316. Our spies have discovered someone
claiming to be the Avatar.
- 317. They describe him as just a boy.
- 318. We should set a trap for this person.
- 319. We have many Earth Kingdom people
under our control.
- 320. I can leave soldiers
hidden in certain locations.
- 321. - And my son?
- He had his chance. He missed it.
- 322. Let's hope, for your sake,
- 323. my son doesn't find this person first
and he turns out to be the Avatar.
- 324. He would return as a hero and,
for all purposes, be your superior.
- 325. Well, I suppose it's a race, then.
- 326. We're close, Uncle.
- 327. They've been moving
farther and farther north.
- 328. We're catching them.
- 329. There are a lot of pretty girls
in this town, Zuko.
- 330. You could fall in love here.
- 331. We could settle down here,
and you could have a blessed life.
- 332. We don't have to continue this, Zuko.
- 333. I'll show you why we must, Uncle.
- 334. Hey. Hey. Little one, come here.
- 335. You look like a very smart boy.
- 336. Tell me what you know about the
Prince, the Fire Lord's son.
- 337. - He did something wrong.
- He spoke out of turn to a general,
- 338. in defense of some of his friends
- 339. Who were going to be sacrificed
in a battle.
- 340. Then Prince Zuko
Was sentenced to an Agni Kai duel,
- 341. but when he showed up,
- 342. - it was his father he was to fight.
- That's right.
- 343. He would not fight his father.
- 344. Then his father mocked him and said,
- 345. "I should bring your sister
up here to beat you. "
- 346. Then the father burnt his son...
- 347. to teach him a lesson.
- 348. We'll catch him soon, Uncle.
- 349. Then we can think
about the pretty girls.
- 350. Aang...
- 351. Try to keep your wrist bent,
like it's showing.
- 352. What's wrong?
You've really been distracted today.
- 353. I saw Sokka's maps.
We're near the Northern Air Temple.
- 354. Do you think it would be OK
if I just visited there and came back?
- 355. - I'd be back in less than a day.
- 356. He had a vision
at the Southern Air Temple prayer field.
- 357. He talked to a Dragon Spirit
Who he thinks can help us.
- 358. He thinks if he goes
to another spiritual place,
- 359. he can get back to the Spirit world.
- 360. I don't think that's a good idea.
We started a rebellion.
- 361. Try to talk him out of it.
- 362. I can't do this.
- 363. I need help.
- 364. - I guess your talk didn't work.
- He'll be back in a day.
- 365. The Fire Nation is following us. If we
make a wrong move, they'll catch him.
- 366. Who are you?
- 367. Why, it cannot be!
- 368. I've heard stories. Are you...?
- 369. My name is Aang.
- 370. I cannot believe
I've lived to see your return.
- 371. I'm an Earth villager,
but I visit these temple remains often.
- 372. The Fire Nation destroyed this temple.
They have ruined everything.
- 373. No, no, no, not everything.
- 374. You know, there's
a hidden chamber of statues
- 375. I think you, of all people, should see.
- 376. These are all the Avatars.
- 377. These are the reincarnations
of you over the years.
- 378. The Avatar Roku was your last life.
- 379. Now, how did the Airbenders know
you were the Avatar, little one?
- 380. They gave me a test.
- 381. They put 1,000 toys in front of me
and asked me to choose four.
- 382. They said I chose the same four objects
that belonged to the previous Avatars.
- 383. That's when they told me
I could have no family.
- 384. Told me I had a responsibility
to the Four Nations.
- 385. There's a ceremony
When everyone bows to me.
- 386. That's when I accept my role
as the Avatar.
- 387. But when everyone bowed...
- 388. I didn't bow back.
- 389. You seem like a nice young man.
- 390. You really do.
You will forgive me, won't you?
- 391. - For what?
- For luring you down here.
- 392. I have lived in poverty
because of your absence, Avatar.
- 393. So you will understand
my actions today.
- 394. I have lived in poverty
because of your absence, Avatar.
- 395. I have seen a vision
of the moon turning red.
- 396. The Fire Nation has stolen knowledge
of us from the Great Library.
- 397. They are planning
to misuse this knowledge.
- 398. I will stop them.
- 399. You must go
to the Northern water Tribe.
- 400. If they take that city,
more will suffer and die,
- 401. as your Airbenders have.
- 402. You must go now!
- 403. Will I stop them?
- 404. Wake up, young man!
- 405. My name is Commander Zhao.
I set this trap for you.
- 406. Don't worry, I'm not gonna kill you.
- 407. Besides, you'd just be reborn again,
- 408. and then the search would continue.
- 409. So where have you been all this time?
- 410. And how is it that you're still a boy?
- 411. I understand that when you freed
that handful of towns,
- 412. you were very impressive, but...
- 413. you only used Airbending
against my soldiers.
- 414. Now, why is that?
- 415. The Fire Lord and I have a plan
- 416. to ensure our reign
and the downfall of our enemies.
- 417. I am sending a personal message
to the Fire Lord,
- 418. informing him
that the once feared Avatar
- 419. is our prisoner
and no threat to our might.
- 420. Who are you?
- 421. Wait! Don't!
- 422. Stop!
- 423. Fools.
- 424. Close the inner gates!
The Avatar has escaped!
- 425. Lock down the gate!
- 426. Lock down all the gates!
- 427. To the main post!
- 428. This was their practice area.
- 429. Go again!
- 430. Do not kill the Avatar!
- 431. He will just be reborn again!
- 432. Why are you doing this? who are you?
- 433. Open the gates.
- 434. Let them out!
- 435. - Is it some kind of Spirit, Commander?
- Not at all.
- 436. Do it.
- 437. What is this?
- 438. And how did he escape?
- 439. I fear that your son
is not only incompetent,
- 440. but also a traitor.
- 441. Of course, I cannot prove this, sire.
- 442. You think...
- 443. my son is this person
- 444. the soldiers are calling
the Blue Spirit.
- 445. Yes.
- 446. Zhao's men were searching the coast,
looking for you.
- 447. They also searched the ship.
- 448. I told them you went
on vacation with a girl.
- 449. Where were you the past four days?
- 450. Nowhere.
- 451. We have to keep moving.
- 452. The Avatar is traveling again.
- 453. Take rest first.
- 454. It looks like you
Went through a great deal.
- 455. When you wake, we'll have tea together
before we start the engines.
- 456. Do not harm my son.
- 457. Leave him to his isolation.
- 458. You have my word, sire.
I will not harm him.
- 459. Zuko!
- 460. And what of the Avatar?
- 461. We assume he has
rejoined with his supporters.
- 462. It has been confirmed
that he's traveling north.
- 463. It is my strong belief that he is
traveling to the Northern water Tribe.
- 464. I believe the child Avatar has only
knowledge of his birth element, Air.
- 465. I believe he is trying to learn
in the discipline of water.
- 466. He's gone to seek out someone
in the Northern water Tribe,
- 467. where they have lived beyond our reach
and openly practice waterbending.
- 468. We arrived at the Northern water Tribe.
- 469. We presented ourselves
to the royal court.
- 470. My brother and the princess
became friends right away.
- 471. Aang showed them he
was the last Airbender,
- 472. and was accepted
to train with the master.
- 473. The city knew our arrival
would bring great danger.
- 474. And they prepared for war they knew
would come in the ensuing weeks.
- 475. The city was designed
to withstand any assault.
- 476. If we keep them to the courtyard
and the marketplace till night falls,
- 477. Where we have the advantage,
We will succeed.
- 478. If we let too many of them
into the city,
- 479. their sheer numbers
could overwhelm us.
- 480. As many fires in this city should be put
out as possible when the alarm sounds.
- 481. We want to minimize
their bender sources.
- 482. I must assign a guard
to be with you at all times, Princess.
- 483. Your presence is our inspiration.
- 484. I'll do it. That's me.
I'll be her guard.
- 485. Nothing will happen to her.
- 486. I had a feeling you might volunteer.
- 487. I've heard no word of my son
for quite some time.
- 488. - Do you know where he is?
- I've not heard of anything, sire.
- 489. I'm sure word of him
will come to us soon.
- 490. The Northern water Tribe benders
are given their strength
- 491. by the Moon and Ocean Spirits.
They will be difficult to defeat.
- 492. Now, if for some reason
the Spirits were not involved,
- 493. that would be different.
- 494. What have you learned
from the stolen scrolls?
- 495. We have deciphered the location
of the Moon and Ocean Spirits.
- 496. It is our destiny to have found
this information, Zhao.
- 497. Eliminate the Spirits,
- 498. take the city and we will have
thWarted the Avatar in the process.
- 499. Water is what?
- 500. The flowing element.
The element of change.
- 501. To master water,
you must release your emotions,
- 502. Wherever they may lead you.
- 503. Water teaches us acceptance.
- 504. Let your emotions flow like water.
- 505. Aang, would you like to spar?
You haven't sparred in a few days.
- 506. Now, use offense, Aang!
- 507. General Iroh, I'm glad you could
accept my invitation to join us
- 508. - On this historic event.
- Your invitation was most gracious.
- 509. You are a gifted strategist.
No one can argue that.
- 510. Your failure in the Hundred Day Siege
of Ba Sing Se won't be held against you.
- 511. Your son died in that siege, didn't he?
- 512. Yes, he did.
- 513. Again, I offer my condolences
on your nephew burning to death
- 514. in that terrible accident.
- 515. Thank you.
- 516. I've loved spending
these weeks with you, Sokka.
- 517. Me, too.
- 518. Should we see what the ocean
is doing today?
- 519. When there is some safety for all of us,
- 520. I will come visit our sister city
in the Southern water Tribe
- 521. and spend some time in your home.
- 522. That would be great.
- 523. But I warn you...
- 524. my grandmother will ask you
a lot of questions.
- 525. What might she ask me?
- 526. She'll say, "Why is your hair white,
young lady? You look very odd. "
- 527. I would say to your grandmother, my
hair is white because when I was born
- 528. I was not awake.
- 529. My mother and father could not get me
to make a sound or move.
- 530. So they prayed for days
to the Moon Spirit
- 531. and dipped me into the sacred waters.
- 532. My parents said that my hair turned
White then and life poured into me.
- 533. Wow.
- 534. You didn't tell me that.
- 535. You didn't ask me.
- 536. Only your grandmother did.
- 537. I'm sure Zhao was the one
Who ordered the attack on you.
- 538. Any problems?
- 539. We have arrived at the Northern
Water Tribe's stronghold.
- 540. They believe the boy is there.
- 541. Why do you seem upset, Uncle?
- 542. Zhao has no sacredness.
- 543. Are you sure you want to be here?
- 544. I will not be allowed to live in peace
until I bring the Avatar to my father!
- 545. Is that not clear to you?
- 546. What is this?
- 547. Yue...
- 548. the Fire Nation is here.
- 549. Now be sure to keep your uniform
closed up to your neck.
- 550. And remember, your Chi can warm you.
- 551. I know, Uncle.
- 552. Be safe.
- 553. Aang needs to ask you something.
- 554. I have to talk to the Dragon Spirit.
- 555. He can help me defeat the Fire Nation.
- 556. Is there a spiritual place
Where I can meditate?
- 557. There is a very spiritual place.
The city was built around this place.
- 558. But we must hurry.
- 559. Momo, be nice.
- 560. To get your Airbending tattoos,
- 561. you have to meditate for long
periods of time without losing focus.
- 562. Some of the great monks
can meditate for four days.
- 563. - I have to get back.
- I'll take you.
- 564. I'll stay with him.
- 565. Aang?
- 566. Aang, can you hear me?
- 567. I knew you were real.
- 568. I always knew you'd return.
- 569. Me, too.
- 570. The Fire Lord's son.
- 571. You took him from our village.
- 572. Who are you?
- 573. My name is Katara,
- 574. and I'm the only waterbender left
in the Southern water Tribe.
- 575. - Go for the children.
- 576. I'm not allowed to go home without him.
- 577. The waterbenders get power
from the moon.
- 578. They will get stronger
as the day comes to an end.
- 579. General Iroh,
I've been keeping a secret.
- 580. And what is that?
- 581. In my raid of the Great Library
earlier this year,
- 582. I found a scroll that tells
- 583. the location
of the Ocean and Moon Spirits.
- 584. To meet a Spirit would be a great honor.
- 585. Well, I hope I can give you that honor.
- 586. What happened?
- 587. What happened?
- 588. Prince Zuko's here in the city.
He took Aang again.
- 589. We'll just wait
till everyone's fighting everyone.
- 590. Then in the night, we'll slip out.
- 591. Aang, can you hear me?
- 592. I knew you were real.
- 593. I always knew you'd return.
- 594. Hello! Hello!
- 595. Please, tell me how
to beat the Fire Nation!
- 596. You are not dealing
With the loss of your people,
- 597. and your responsibility
for their deaths.
- 598. You are stopping yourself
- 599. You are angry.
- 600. You must let this go.
- 601. As the Avatar,
you are not meant to hurt others.
- 602. Use the ocean.
- 603. Show them the power of water.
- 604. Go! Do this now.
- 605. My sister Azula
was always the special one.
- 606. She was a Firebending prodigy.
- 607. My father loves her.
- 608. He can't even look at me sometimes.
- 609. He says I'm like my mother.
- 610. I advise that you
pull back your men soon.
- 611. They will be trapped in the city
When the moon's power comes out.
- 612. Do not worry about the moon's power,
- 613. Why should you not be worried
about the moon's power?
- 614. Because your brother,
Fire Lord Ozai, and I
- 615. have decided it is in our best
interests to kill the Moon Spirit.
- 616. What?
- 617. Calm down. We'll find him.
- 618. Are you OK?
Did the Spirits tell you anything?
- 619. Yes. The Dragon Spirit talked to me.
I know what to do.
- 620. Aang, we have to go.
- 621. You won't be killed by waterbenders
if you stay hidden here.
- 622. We could be friends, you know.
- 623. They're getting stronger.
- 624. This is a scroll from the Great Library.
This is our map.
- 625. Our world is going to change soon,
- 626. Right there and right there.
- 627. See where they're going!
I'll go join the fight!
- 628. They are called many names:
Yin and Yang, push and pull.
- 629. May I introduce you to the mysterious
Ocean and Moon Spirits?
- 630. Why do Spirits take the form
of such benign things?
- 631. It leaves them so vulnerable.
- 632. To teach man kindness and humility.
- 633. Commander Zhao,
- 634. there are certain things
humankind should not tamper with.
- 635. The Spirits and the Spirit world
is one of them.
- 636. What are you doing here?
- 637. Stop, Zhao.
- 638. The world will go out of balance.
Everyone will be hurt.
- 639. The Fire Nation is too powerful
- 640. to worry about children's superstitions,
- 641. Commander Zhao, don't.
- 642. We are now the gods!
- 643. No!
- 644. Man all battle stations!
- 645. You are too soft, General Iroh.
- 646. He's making fire out of nothing!
- 647. They're breaching the wall!
- 648. To the front!
- 649. As the Avatar,
you are not meant to hurt others.
- 650. You must show them
the power of water.
- 651. All is lost.
- 652. You have been anointed
by the Moon Spirit.
- 653. - He gave me life when I was a child.
- Then there is still a chance.
- 654. You can give your life
back for the Spirit's.
- 655. - Don't listen to him, he's Fire Nation.
- Nothing is ever truly lost.
- 656. - Is it mine to give back, if I choose?
- There are reasons each of us are born.
- 657. We have to find those reasons.
- 658. - This was the reason I was born.
- Yue, please.
- 659. There is no love without sacrifice.
- 660. Yue, what are you doing?
You don't know what will happen.
- 661. I believe my life force will leave my
body and return to the Moon Spirit.
- 662. And then what?
- 663. My soul will no longer exist
in this form.
- 664. Please don't do this.
There must be another way.
- 665. I can't let you do this.
I'm supposed to protect you.
- 666. My people are dying, Sokka.
- 667. Those who are in charge of others
have a responsibility.
- 668. It is time we show the Fire Nation
We believe in our beliefs
- 669. - as much as they believe in theirs.
- But Yue...
- 670. I'm scared.
Don't make me any more scared.
- 671. I will miss you more than you know.
- 672. I killed you.
- 673. Come away from him, nephew.
- 674. There are too many soldiers now.
- 675. They will never
let you take the Avatar.
- 676. We must leave immediately.
- 677. He wants to fight you
so he can capture you, Zuko.
- 678. Walk away!
- 679. Come!
- 680. You stand alone.
- 681. And that has always
been your great mistake.
- 682. Water teaches us acceptance.
- 683. Let your emotions flow like water.
- 684. Aang?
- 685. They want you to be their Avatar, Aang.
- 686. We all do.
- 687. Our forces in the Northern water Tribe
have failed to take the city.
- 688. General Zhao was killed in battle
and my brother has become a traitor.
- 689. My son's proven himself a failure.
- 690. Now, Sozin's Comet
is returning in three years.
- 691. It will give all Firebenders the ability
of the highest Firebenders,
- 692. the ability to use their own Chi
to create Fire.
- 693. That is the day we will win this war
- 694. and prove the Fire Nation's dominance.
- 695. Now you must stop the Avatar
from mastering Earth and Fire.
- 696. You must give us the time
to get to that day.
- 697. Do you accept this
unspeakably important task
- 698. I'm putting in your hands?
- 699. I do, Father.