- 1. It's amazing
how physically exhausting it can be
- 2. to do nothing.
- 3. If you are unable to endure boredom,
- 4. this work is not for you.
- 5. Paris awakens unlike any other city.
- 6. Slowly.
- 7. Without the diesel grind
of Berlin or Damascus.
- 8. Or the incessant hum of Tokyo.
- 9. Popeye the Sailor probably said it best.
- 10. "I am what I am."
- 11. I'm not exceptional.
- 12. I'm just...
- 13. apart.
- 14. Consider yourself lucky
if our paths never cross.
- 15. Except...
- 16. luck isn't real.
- 17. Nor is karma, or sadly, justice.
- 18. As much as I'd like to pretend
these concepts exist...
- 19. they just don't.
- 20. One is born, lives their life.
- 21. And eventually, one dies.
- 22. In the meantime,
- 23. "Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the law."
- 24. To quote...
- 25. someone.
- 26. Can't remember who.
- 27. A hundred and forty million
human beings are born every year.
- 28. Give or take.
- 29. The worldwide population
is approximately 7.8 billion.
- 30. Every second, 1.8 people die.
- 31. While 4.2 are born
into that very same second.
- 32. Nothing I've ever done
will make any dent
- 33. in these metrics.
- 34. Skepticism is often mistaken for cynicism.
- 35. Most people refuse
to believe that the great beyond
- 36. is no more than a cold, infinite void.
- 37. But I accept it,
- 38. along with the freedom that comes
from acknowledging that truth.
- 39. I've come to realize
that the moment
- 40. when it's time to act
- 41. is not when risk is greatest.
- 42. The real problems arise
- 43. in the days, hours,
and minutes leading up to the task
- 44. and the minutes, hours, and days after.
- 45. It all comes down to preparation,
- 46. attention to detail,
- 47. redundancies,
- 48. redundancies,
- 49. and redundancies.
- 50. Leave nothing for the elves
- 51. with their tweezers,
forensic baggies, DNA kits.
- 52. And avoid being seen.
- 53. Which is impossible in the 21st century.
- 54. So, at least avoid being memorable.
- 55. Keep calm.
- 56. Keep moving.
- 57. My camo is based on
- 58. a German tourist
I saw in London a while back.
- 59. No one really wants
to interact with a German tourist.
- 60. Parisians avoid them like
the rest of the world avoids street mimes.
- 61. There are 1,500 McDonald's in France.
- 62. A good enough place
to grab ten grams of protein for a euro,
- 63. alongside the other 46 million
they serve each week.
- 64. I wish I could tell you
when he's going to show,
- 65. but according to every bit of information
I've been able to get, he's expected.
- 66. Best I can do.
- 67. Hello? Still there?
- 68. It's been five days.
- 69. I'll give it today and tomorrow.
- 70. Fair enough.
- 71. I needn't remind you,
if we don't meet our commitment...
- 72. - We?
- Yes, frankly.
- 73. We don't invoice,
we eat the expenses to date.
- 74. Just call if the next 24 hours pass...
- 75. uneventfully.
- 76. We'll go from there.
- 77. Hell...
- 78. "It's a dog-eat-dog world."
- 79. To reuse the apt cliché.
- 80. "Every man for himself."
- 81. "Kill or be killed."
- 82. "Survival of the fittest."
- 83. Isn't it all just human nature?
- 84. Of those who like to put their faith
- 85. in mankind's inherent goodness,
- 86. I have to ask,
- 87. based on what, exactly?
- 88. I used to book a lot through Airbnb.
- 89. Not anymore.
- 90. Those Superhosts love their nanny cams.
- 91. Take comfort in the fact
that 70 to 80% of wrongful convictions
- 92. are the direct result
- 93. of eyewitness testimony.
- 94. Still, it only takes
a few episodes of Dateline
- 95. to know that there are countless ways
to trip oneself up.
- 96. If you can think of a dozen,
you're a genius.
- 97. I'm no genius.
- 98. From the beginning of history,
the few have always exploited the many.
- 99. This is the cornerstone of civilization.
- 100. The blood in the mortar
that binds all bricks.
- 101. Whatever it takes,
- 102. make sure you're one of the few,
- 103. not one of the many.
- 104. On Annie Oakley jobs,
distance is the only advantage.
- 105. Everything else,
the popping sound like fireworks,
- 106. the breaking of glass,
the screams... all disadvantage.
- 107. When it comes
to bystanders getting involved,
- 108. everything becomes a blur.
- 109. Combat veterans call this "tunnel vision."
- 110. I call it "occupational good fortu"...
- 111. Fuck.
- 112. It's the idle hours
that most often lead a man to ruin.
- 113. That's not Dylan Thomas,
but it oughta be.
- 114. Somehow, jobs
that are designed to rattle a cage
- 115. are always the most tedious.
- 116. I've actually grown
to appreciate "proximity work."
- 117. Staged accidents, gradual poisonings.
- 118. Anything with a little creativity.
- 119. When was my last nice, quiet drowning?
- 120. Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer,
- 121. murdered at least 49 women
over two decades.
- 122. He couldn't spell "cat"
if you spotted him the A and the T.
- 123. But he was conscientious.
- 124. I've done my 10,000 hours.
- 125. Beyond which, I'm aided and abetted
by law enforcement fatigue.
- 126. Sheer caseload.
- 127. Ted Williams batted.344 lifetime.
- 128. I'd be batting a thousand,
- 129. except I won't take credit for watching
some mob bookkeeper
- 130. drop dead of a coronary.
- 131. The only time nicotine,
red meat, and marital stress
- 132. did the hard part for me.
- 133. Of the many lies told
by the US military-industrial complex,
- 134. my favorite is still their claim
- 135. that sleep deprivation
didn't qualify as torture.
- 136. Vigilance is essential.
- 137. Even the most disciplined mind
can become weary,
- 138. impatient,
- 139. hurried...
- 140. Sloppy.
- 141. I find music a useful distraction.
- 142. A focus tool.
- 143. Keeps the inner voice from wandering.
- 144. My process is purely logistical,
- 145. narrowly focused by design.
- 146. I'm not here to take sides.
- 147. It's not my place to formulate
- 148. any opinion.
- 149. No one who can afford me
- 150. needs to waste time
winning me to some cause.
- 151. I serve no God or country.
- 152. I fly no flag.
- 153. If I'm effective,
it's because of one simple fact.
- 154. I...
- 155. don't...
- 156. give...
- 157. a...
- 158. fuck.
- 159. At this range,
- 160. a subsonic round's drop is not an issue.
- 161. I just need a pulse rate under 60
- 162. and a measured squeeze
- 163. so vintage glass can't alter trajectory.
- 164. Stick to your plan.
- 165. Anticipate, don't improvise.
- 166. Trust no one.
- 167. Never yield an advantage.
- 168. Fight only the battle
you're paid to fight.
- 169. Forbid empathy.
- 170. Empathy is weakness.
- 171. Weakness is vulnerability.
- 172. Each and every step of the way,
- 173. "What's in it for me?"
- 174. This is what it takes.
- 175. What you must commit yourself to.
- 176. If you want to succeed.
- 177. Simple.
- 178. Fuck.
- 179. Well, this...
- 180. this is new.
- 181. W-W-J-W-B-D.
- 182. What would John Wilkes Booth do?
- 183. Nitro. Atomized nitro.
- 184. Might as well scrub my eyes
and shave my tongue.
- 185. You've done what you can do.
- 186. Calm. Breathe.
- 187. Hey.
- 188. Well, don't you have
quite a bit of miles, Mr. Unger.
- 189. Impressive.
- 190. Please enjoy.
- 191. How could this happen?
- 192. - It's unprecedented.
- It happened.
- 193. Is that what you suggest
I inform the client, "It happened"?
- 194. This is a problem.
- 195. Obviously it's a fuckin' problem
to say the least.
- 196. The window of opportunity is closed now
- 197. for who knows how long.
- 198. Jesus fucking Christ.
- 199. I'll offer to make it right
as soon as humanly possible.
- 200. I'll tell him
we'll do whatever's necessary.
- 201. You let me know the moment you...
- 202. Passport.
- 203. Hat.
- 204. Attention, passengers.
- 205. Flight 1258 departing for Santo Domingo
will be boarding here shortly.
- 206. We are offering
complimentary travel vouchers today
- 207. to those few passengers
- 208. who might be willing
to take a later scheduled flight.
- 209. So, please speak to any gate agent
if you're interested.
- 210. Thank you so much for agreeing
to give up your seat today, Mr. Bunker.
- 211. This entitles you
to a room voucher this evening
- 212. and free drink tokens
on your flight tomorrow.
- 213. You'll fly first thing in the morning,
and it is direct to Santo Domingo.
- 214. Just right over there.
- 215. - Would you like me to put it...
- No, thank you.
- 216. Thank you, sir.
- 217. - ICU four, four!
- 218. Oh no.
- 219. Shh. Please don't let her hear your voice.
- 220. She needs sleep.
- 221. They're monitoring for internal bleeding.
- 222. She just had a second transfusion,
and she's on heavy pain meds.
- 223. There were two of them.
She can describe them.
- 224. It's not like
they were disguising themselves.
- 225. One was a woman.
- 226. This wasn't a robbery.
She told me that... She...
- 227. - She might...
- Take your time.
- 228. "There are worse things
than what they did to me."
- 229. She kept telling me.
- 230. Can you imagine?
- 231. Worse things?
- 232. She told me that during the...
- 233. assault,
- 234. she stabbed a man,
- 235. ran through a fucking plate glass window,
- 236. - hid in the jungle...
- Marcus, breathe.
- 237. They left in a green car
with a light on top.
- 238. Like a fucking taxi.
- 239. Can you believe it?
- 240. Look, she knows
there are things she can and cannot say
- 241. if anyone comes asking.
- 242. All this time you've been very kind
to my sister.
- 243. She loves you.
- 244. I've learned not to pry.
- 245. - But this...
- 246. They came for you,
- 247. and they weren't about to leave a witness.
- 248. Marcus, listen very carefully.
- 249. I promise, I swear to you,
- 250. nothing like this
will ever be allowed to happen again.
- 251. She's well enough to travel,
and later today, she'll be transported
- 252. to the private hospital
in Punta Cana as arranged.
- 253. No. You mustn't try...
- 254. Are you all right?
- 255. Let me see you.
- 256. I was so afraid.
Afraid I might say something.
- 257. But I didn't.
- 258. No matter what they said,
- 259. no matter what he did,
- 260. I didn't tell them anything.
- 261. Not about you.
- 262. Nothing.
- 263. You'd have been proud.
- 264. - I was strong.
- I know you were.
- 265. How... How bad is it?
- 266. I'll see soon enough, huh?
- 267. I told myself,
- 268. "If I don't make it,
- 269. if I don't survive,
- 270. I'll never see him again."
- 271. I couldn't bear that.
- 272. So, I made up my mind.
- 273. Get some rest now.
- 274. Okay.
- 275. Would you rather send this overnight?
- 276. So, for that rate,
this would be delivered two days from now,
- 277. end of business, Mr... Madison.
- 278. I blame you, Leo,
for having to bring work home.
- 279. Stick to the plan.
- 280. Anticipate, don't improvise.
- 281. Trust no one.
- 282. Never yield an advantage.
- 283. Fight only the battle
you're paid to fight.
- 284. - Disculpa. I'm late.
- Forbid empathy.
- 285. Empathy is weakness.
- 286. Weakness is vulnerability.
- 287. Each and every step of the way,
- 288. "What's in it for me?"
- 289. This is what it takes.
- 290. What you must commit yourself to...
- 291. if you want to succeed.
- 292. Simple.
- 293. Oh shit, man.
- 294. I just started.
Alguna moneda es lo único que tengo.
- 295. I'll show you, okay?
- 296. Take it, man.
- 297. There's a rubber in there too...
what's mine is yours.
- 298. Take the wallet if you want.
- 299. What else? Hmm? Want my radio?
- 300. Tell me about your big fare, Leo,
three days ago.
- 301. What?
- 302. Three days? Hey.
- 303. Wait, wait. Don't!
Okay, I... I'll tell you. Um...
- 304. Uh...
- 305. The freak and the lady, right?
- 306. From the... From the private airport,
- 307. I picked them up around noon.
I remember, it was right before lunch.
- 308. I'd been waiting around.
There was nothing. Slow day, slow week.
- 309. I was about to split when one
of those little jets came in, so I stayed.
- 310. And they come, two crazy-looking güeros.
And the lady? Like a Q-tip.
- 311. And the dude with her?
- 312. Should've kept him on a leash.
He was a scary motherfucker.
- 313. Walk me through your time with them
to the very best of your recollection.
- 314. No problem. I drove them. That's all.
- 315. "Round trip" was what they said,
then they told me north on Highway 1,
- 316. then deep into the damn jungle,
- 317. They showed me on Google. I drove them.
- 318. They wouldn't take no for an answer.
- 319. We go to a private property,
and I was supposed to wait.
- 320. They were gone... an hour, maybe.
- 321. Take this next exit.
- 322. All I know is that I was starving
- 323. and I didn't care
how much the meter was ticking.
- 324. I was going to leave them.
I'm not allowed to, but I almost did.
- 325. Pull up in here.
- 326. They came back after sunset.
- 327. The guy's leg
was all bloody and fucked up.
- 328. They wanted me to take 'em back
to the airport, so I did.
- 329. That was the end of it.
- 330. May I?
- 331. Want one?
- 332. Ask me anything. Anything.
- 333. I don't know who they are.
Don't wanna know who you are either.
- 334. Con todo respeto.
- 335. So, how about I get out
and I leave the keys? I'll walk back...
- 336. And...
- 337. you're all set, Mr. Cunningham.
- 338. Have a pleasant trip.
- 339. New Orleans.
- 340. Lovely, humid New Orleans.
- 341. A thousand restaurants, one menu.
- 342. Where good old Professor Hodges
convinced me to quit studying law
- 343. and try skirting it.
- 344. There are more
than 50,000 storage facilities in the US.
- 345. I have units in six.
- 346. I like to imagine,
once the automatic payments have dried up,
- 347. the episode of Storage Wars
where they cut the lock on one of mine
- 348. and get a look inside.
- 349. Dolores.
- 350. Miss me?
- 351. CCTV and a 1980s deadlatch lock.
- 352. Outmoded solutions
to real security problems.
- 353. Yo!
- 354. Thank you so much, man.
- 355. You're a lifesaver.
- 356. One, one thousand.
- 357. Two, one thousand.
- 358. Three, one thousand.
- 359. Four, one thousand.
- 360. Five, one thousand.
- 361. Six, one thousand.
- 362. Seven, one thousand.
- 363. - Can't wait for it.
- No, I know.
- 364. Everything good?
- 365. Everything's good.
Just the one today?
- 366. - Just the one.
- Oh my goodness.
- 367. - Have a good one.
- See ya.
- 368. Hello, Dolores.
- 369. Hello. How...
- 370. Oh.
- 371. Oh my God!
- 372. Oh my God. Oh my God.
- 373. Oh my God. Oh my God.
- 374. - Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.
- Stop saying that.
- 375. - What is it, Dolores?
- I'm sorry, sir.
- 376. I said I need email ti...
- 377. Good God.
- 378. What could you possibly be thinking,
- 379. This is very unlike you, my friend.
Care to explain yourself?
- 380. 'Cause I can't conceive
of anything I have to offer
- 381. that could remotely be worth
the exposure you're risking right now.
- 382. Go ahead.
- 383. Whatever he says.
- 384. Insanity.
- 385. There's no other word for this. Insanity.
- 386. Surely you can't be angry with me.
- 387. I'm so sorry.
I... I... I opened the outer door.
- 388. - Dolores.
- The FedEx...
- 389. I'm the one who's sorry.
- 390. I sincerely apologize.
- 391. There's clearly been
some sort of misunderstanding.
- 392. I'd like to ask you to take a breath.
- 393. Think for a minute.
- 394. This'll be resolved in a moment, darlin'.
I promise you.
- 395. Once he realizes the folly of his actions.
- 396. You went home?
- 397. How could you have,
realizing my hands were...
- 398. You had to have known that I'd have no say
in the matter going forward.
- 399. - And still, you went home?
- Who were they?
- 400. Who were they?
- 401. First of all, who cares?
- 402. I barely glanced at the invoice, which,
- 403. if I may say,
is very much beside the point.
- 404. The consequences,
when someone's wide of the mark,
- 405. are automatic.
- 406. However regrettable, they're
an obligation to client and calling.
- 407. I was forced to make amends
to a very angry, very powerful man.
- 408. Never in my wildest imagination
did I think you'd actually go home.
- 409. Not in a million years.
- 410. The fuck? That's just juvenile.
- 411. Though it's not too late.
- 412. Even now,
this entire debacle can be salvaged.
- 413. But only if you disappear,
- 414. which is what I assumed
you've already done.
- 415. You've got more money
than you could ever spend,
- 416. thanks, in no small part, to me,
- 417. so why aren't you already
on the other side of the globe,
- 418. under any number of aliases, spending it?
- 419. You don't believe me,
don't feel you can trust me.
- 420. Fine. I suppose I brought that on myself.
- 421. But after all these years,
having built this from the ground up,
- 422. I thought we had a relationship.
- 423. It's all here somewhere.
- 424. I know you have backups, Eddie.
- 425. On me, everyone, the whole shebang.
- 426. 'Cause you'd never put it on the Cloud
- 427. any more than you'd trust it
outside this office.
- 428. There's nothing like that.
- 429. Everything I dealt with
was on those two laptops.
- 430. And now, it's not.
- 431. Who do you think
you're trying to intimidate?
- 432. You're not gonna. There's no upside.
- 433. The only logical choice for you
- 434. is to turn around right now,
walk out that door,
- 435. go embrace your next life.
- 436. I wish you well.
- 437. You'll drown slowly,
then I'll dispose of you.
- 438. So while a few fragments
of your side-hustle
- 439. may be left to puzzle over...
- 440. since you'll have completely vanished,
- 441. the trail ends where it began.
- 442. Unless...
- 443. I need that information, Edward.
- 444. And you are running outta time.
- 445. Fuck...
- 446. you...
- 447. Three nine-gauge nails.
Early middle-aged nonsmoker.
- 448. About 180 pounds.
- 449. Should last six, seven minutes.
- 450. Shit.
- 451. Stick to the plan.
- 452. Anticipate, don't improvise.
- 453. Fight only the battle
you're paid to fight.
- 454. Trust no one.
- 455. I'd beg
if I thought it would do any good.
- 456. I have the names you're looking for.
I know who they were.
- 457. But... before I give them to you,
I want something in return...
- 458. I know what you're capable of,
how you can...
- 459. make things seem.
- 460. I'll give you those names,
- 461. but promise me you won't leave things
looking the wrong way.
- 462. Please.
- 463. I can't just disappear.
- 464. My children need my life insur...
- 465. Forbid empathy.
- 466. I guess I am begging.
- 467. Empathy is weakness.
- 468. Weakness is vulnerability.
- 469. Each and every step of the way,
- 470. ask yourself, "What's in it for me?"
- 471. This is what it takes.
- 472. What you must commit yourself to
- 473. if you want to succeed.
- 474. Simple.
- 475. Need any help getting rid of that body?
- 476. I'm not a bad person.
- 477. I'm not.
- 478. Start date
of your employment in Paris
- 479. was November 28, so go to N.
- 480. Under N, in numerical order, find 1128.
- 481. One, one, two, eight.
- 482. You'll recognize the address.
- 483. Because of...
- 484. what happened,
- 485. there's an addendum on the back.
- 486. Should be two wire transfer
- 487. for the subcontractors
you're interested in.
- 488. They're filed under an account number.
What's the number?
- 489. - Two, three, one...
- 490. Numerically, again.
- 491. Claybourne?
- 492. The client.
- 493. Cleanup, without fail,
- 494. To say the least.
- 495. If you don't want a puzzle solved,
- 496. remove a piece or two.
- 497. Scatter the rest.
- 498. What's the expression?
- 499. Measure twice, cut once.
- 500. Even I have to remind myself...
- 501. the only life path...
- 502. is the one behind you.
- 503. All right.
And she's all yours, Mr. Kincaid.
- 504. In 600 feet,
your destination will be on the left.
- 505. Ah. The Sunshine State.
- 506. Where else can you find
so many like-minded individuals...
- 507. Yeah.
- 508. outside a penitentiary.
- 509. - Hope they're not planning a sleepover.
- Come on.
- 510. First things first...
- 511. Get that money!
- 512. We gonna make some money tonight, baby!
- 513. Maybe a mandatory 30-day waiting period
- 514. for creatine's not a bad idea.
- 515. So, here you are.
- 516. Vigilant.
- 517. Narrowly focused.
- 518. How's "I don't give a fuck" going?
- 519. Bye, man.
- 520. Diva, down!
- 521. Diva! Come on.
- 522. This'll have to be a best guess,
- 523. based on the average pit bull
weighing 45 to 55 pounds.
- 524. She actually looks bigger
- 525. up close.
- 526. Caution. Contains diphenhydramine.
- 527. Do not take
if you're allergic to diphenhydramine.
- 528. Contact your veterinarian
- 529. if you experience vomiting,
diarrhea, or excessive fur loss.
- 530. Diva!
- 531. Diva!
- 532. Diva!
- 533. Diva!
- 534. The Old South is on the move,
- 535. yet filled with warmth and grace.
- 536. Meet the music of America.
- 537. It's the way
to our Atlantic sun and beaches.
- 538. And our Caribbean island destinations.
- 539. Today we're back
in Arley Hall and Gardens in Cheshire.
- 540. And if you are a garden lover,
prepare to be very excited
- 541. because this is one of
the oldest country gardens...
- 542. Stick to your plan.
- 543. Anticipate, don't improvise.
- 544. is one
of the oldest in the country.
- 545. Trust no one.
- 546. Fight only the battle
you're paid to fight.
- 547. You picked the wrong house, motherfucker.
- 548. Is that the "Dominican Republican"?
- 549. It is you, isn't it?
- 550. You know, most peop...
- 551. This is what it takes.
- 552. What you must commit yourself to...
- 553. if you want to succeed.
- 554. Simple.
- 555. Welcome, Mr. Grant.
- 556. We'll let you know
as soon as your flight begins boarding.
- 557. Homeward bound, I hope.
- 558. Not just yet.
- 559. Attention all passengers
on Flight 182
- 560. with nonstop service to LaGuardia.
- 561. We are now inviting
those passengers with small children
- 562. and anyone who requires
special assistance to begin pre...
- 563. Stone's throw from the city
that never sleeps.
- 564. Barely off the beaten path.
- 565. What are you doing?
- 566. Living amongst the "normies."
- 567. On behalf of Enterprise,
Mr. Malone, have a safe driving day.
- 568. For an active practitioner,
bedroom community adjacent.
- 569. Unusual choice.
- 570. Leo told me she looked like a Q-tip.
- 571. He wasn't far off.
- 572. The wind,
from the west northwest
- 573. at 20 miles an hour.
- 574. Light snow or snow flurries
and continued cold through tomorrow.
- 575. The high today, 28. The low tonight, 15.
- 576. The high tomorrow, 25. West to northwest...
- 577. All right.
- 578. It's common knowledge
when a female is found slain,
- 579. the prime suspect
is always the husband or boyfriend.
- 580. Especially if she hasn't been
- 581. Well, maybe not common knowledge.
- 582. - I don't know if I think it's art, but...
- 583. Wait, wait, wait...
- 584. I've been so good for so long.
- 585. I'm suddenly regretting
not having Häagen-Dazs with every meal.
- 586. - May I bring a menu?
- No menu. Thank you, Carl.
- 587. You won't mind if I have a drink.
A flight of whiskeys, please.
- 588. And my bottle, while you're at it.
- 589. My pleasure.
- 590. By a drink, I mean, of course, many.
- 591. Tell me Hodges is dead, at least.
Give me that.
- 592. Tell me he went horribly.
- 593. Help yourself.
- 594. The chef sends out
anything he imagines I might like.
- 595. This is, uh, his signature dish.
- 596. You won't find better, even in the city.
- 597. You would be very impolite
to refuse to join in my last supper.
- 598. Afraid it's tainted?
- 599. I'm assuming you've also paid a visit
to a certain overadrenalized Floridian.
- 600. No loss there.
- 601. - Here we are.
- Oh, that was quick.
- 602. May I describe the selection?
- 603. You know, by the time you're finished,
they'd all be gone.
- 604. Cheers.
- 605. You won't imbibe either?
- 606. Christ.
- 607. For what it's worth,
- 608. I would never have involved
your female friend.
- 609. What happened to her, I had no part in.
- 610. I objected to his methods,
and I told him so.
- 611. But you've seen for yourself how...
- 612. receptive...
- 613. You... you get a name, you get an address.
- 614. It's nothing personal.
- 615. We've all had to work
through the occasional civilian
- 616. who's stood between eyes and the prize.
- 617. When I started,
I was surprised at what I was capable of.
- 618. How easy it was.
- 619. Shockingly.
- 620. Yet, I assured myself
there were some things I would never do.
- 621. Money was motivation.
- 622. Which...
- 623. once there was enough,
could be used to buy another life.
- 624. Another lie we told ourselves.
- 625. When, for example, was the last time
you bothered to ask yourself
- 626. why someone in your sights
was so thoroughly despised?
- 627. Less you know, the better.
- 628. "One man's cruelty
is another man's pragmatism."
- 629. That old chestnut.
- 630. A hunter goes into the woods,
- 631. and he sees this grizzly.
- 632. Biggest he's ever seen.
- 633. He raises his rifle, and he fires.
- 634. The bear falls, the hunter rushes forward,
- 635. and to his surprise,
there's nothing there.
- 636. There's no bear,
there's no broken twigs, there's no blood.
- 637. And then suddenly,
- 638. the grizzly throws this massive arm
around his shoulders and explains,
- 639. "You took your shot."
- 640. "You missed,
- 641. so either I feast, or,
- 642. and the choice is yours,
- 643. I sodomize you."
- 644. Naturally, the hunter chooses life.
- 645. The next day,
the hunter returns to the woods
- 646. with a much bigger gun,
and he spots the bear again.
- 647. And he aims. He fires. The bear falls.
- 648. The hunter charges.
- 649. No sign of the bear,
until the bear is standing beside him,
- 650. saying, "You know the deal."
- 651. Indignity ensues.
- 652. The following day,
the hunter treks back to the wood.
- 653. This time with a bazooka.
- 654. He sees the bear,
lines him up in his crosshairs, fires.
- 655. The recoil from the bazooka
throws him backwards.
- 656. And he looks up as the smoke's clearing,
- 657. and there's the bear standing above him,
- 658. And the bear squints.
- 659. "You're not really out here
for the hunting, are you?"
- 660. This could've been a hit-and-run,
carjacking, me falling on the ice.
- 661. And yet, here you are.
- 662. If I screamed right now,
I'd still end up dead.
- 663. You would make it out.
- 664. Most likely.
- 665. But not clean, you wouldn't.
- 666. Why take this risk?
- 667. Desperate for conversation.
- 668. I'm flattered, but no.
- 669. You're here
because you couldn't help yourself.
- 670. You expected to sit across from me
and feel nothing but reassured.
- 671. Like that recent day
when you shouldered your weapon
- 672. and somehow...
- 673. missed.
- 674. How's it possible?
- 675. Having prepared myself
for this moment for so long,
- 676. I have failed to believe
that it would ever arrive.
- 677. How are we?
- 678. We're done. You can take everything.
- 679. Excellent.
- 680. They wouldn't happen to have any ice cream
back there, would they, Carl?
- 681. Oh. Were you interested
in a dessert menu?
- 682. No. No, it's all right.
- 683. Stick to the plan...
- 684. Anticipate, don't improvise.
- 685. Trust no...
- 686. Are we there yet?
- 687. A little further?
- 688. Far be it from me,
but maybe down by the river?
- 689. Wow.
- 690. Last minutes spent knowing
they're last minutes.
- 691. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
- 692. Who, come to think of it,
at this moment, is you.
- 693. You'll remember our conversation.
- 694. You will.
- 695. When your time does arrive.
- 696. It won't be your life flashing
before your eyes, it'll be mine.
- 697. I suppose it'll be the closest
I can hope to come to haunting you.
- 698. Help a girl out, won't you?
- 699. Trust no one.
- 700. This is what it takes...
- 701. if you want to succeed.
- 702. Risky, this one.
- 703. Considering how police
tend to match their effort
- 704. in direct proportion
to the victim's net worth.
- 705. Fuck it.
- 706. The thing about real wealth,
the more you've got,
- 707. the harder it is
to fade into the wallpaper.
- 708. Of course, vanity plates don't help.
- 709. You've arrived
at your destination.
- 710. I don't think this guy's Mossad.
- 711. I know he ain't Mensa.
- 712. Good luck with the Wordle.
- 713. Leave no loose ends,
nothing to dangle.
- 714. Sayonara, North America.
- 715. If I might get your initials
here and here.
- 716. Dotting that I and crossing that T.
- 717. Perfect.
- 718. Your business with us
is officially closed,
- 719. with everything transferred
to your Caribbean account.
- 720. I do hope we can be of service again
in the near future, Mr. Jefferson.
- 721. May I mention,
- 722. our wealth management advisors
would be more than happy to discuss
- 723. our select investment opportunities.
- 724. Interesting.
- 725. Hey. Hey, guys. Not here.
- 726. Guys, keep it moving. Thank you.
- 727. Here you go.
- 728. Browning. Smith & Wesson. Colt.
- 729. You don't see what you want,
I can always get it.
- 730. What's your pleasure, my man?380?
- 731. Good enough for James Bond.
- 732. How about this right here?
- 733. There's the Desert Eagle,
- 734. if you're looking
for something relatively portable
- 735. that can lay down an elk.
- 736. My man knows his way around
a Glock subcompact.
- 737. Brings his own potato.
- 738. Yeehaw, man.
- 739. I like you, slim.
Next gun is half off.
- 740. This is plenty.
- 741. - Want ammo?
- No, thank you.
- 742. No ammo.
- 743. Welcome, Mr. Hartley.
- 744. First time with us, I see.
- 745. Have an excellent workout.
- 746. Brand new.
- 747. Man, I'm sorry.
- 748. Eh.
- 749. That's not insanity.
- 750. What's insane is driving 90 miles
each way to work.
- 751. Right.
- 752. Then going, "This is fucked up.
I hate this. I don't want to do this."
- 753. Then getting in the car the very next day,
driving 90 miles each way to work.
- 754. You're absolutely right.
- 755. I told you.
You don't listen to me.
- 756. You ask, "Yo, Clay.
What about this Bitcoin deal?"
- 757. "Clay, what's a short sell?"
- 758. And I tell you,
and you love that shit.
- 759. - But this... You're not listening.
- I'm listening.
- 760. - So what are we doing?
- Come on. Let's go.
- 761. Oh.
- 762. Let's go to work.
- 763. It's like if you said,
"Let's do laddered intervals."
- 764. And I went, "Huh?"
- 765. "Ladders? I don't wanna do that."
- 766. Who needs a Trojan horse
when you've got Postmates?
- 767. 'Cause everything's airtight
- 768. till the billionaire wants
- 769. They came for you,
and they weren't about to leave a witness.
- 770. I was so afraid,
afraid I might say something.
- 771. I don't know who they are.
- 772. Don't wanna know who you are either.
- 773. Consequences, when someone's
wide of the mark, are automatic.
- 774. - I guess I am begging.
- You picked the wrong house.
- 775. When you shouldered
your weapon, and somehow...
- 776. missed.
- 777. Once I see his eyes,
- 778. I'll have a pretty good idea
how this is gonna go.
- 779. There must be
some applicable tax burden offset.
- 780. And I simply expect to see
heaven and earth moving.
- 781. He— Hey!
- 782. I'm not going to be disappointed in you.
- 783. I'll be disappointed in me
and everyone involved
- 784. for not having replaced you soon...
- 785. Who the fu...
- 786. How did you...
- 787. Okay.
- 788. Uh... Uh...
- 789. I...
- 790. I'll call you back, Marvin.
- 791. Uh... Uh...
- 792. Gotta call back, Marv.
- 793. I'm fucking hanging up.
- 794. I...
- 795. So nobody gets crazy.
- 796. I didn't notice the, uh...
- 797. I'm all ears.
- 798. Secure building, eh?
Christmas bonuses'll be light this year.
- 799. I, uh...
- 800. I don't keep cash here.
- 801. But I can have some delivered. No?
- 802. Okay, well, what is it exactly
I can do for you?
- 803. I came to show you how easily
one might get to you, Mr. Claybourne.
- 804. And to ask, do you and I have a problem?
- 805. Do we... What? A problem?
- 806. No, of course not.
- 807. Am I supposed to know who you are?
- 808. Because my memory for names
and faces isn't what it used to be.
- 809. All right.
- 810. There's an address.
- 811. It's 3 Rue du Grev...
- 812. I'm still not...
- 813. Oh.
- 814. Oh.
- 815. Wait.
- 816. You.
- 817. I didn't realize.
- 818. Please hear me out.
- 819. To answer your question,
we have no problem.
- 820. I harbor no ill will
about anything that may have happened.
- 821. Or not happened.
- 822. Let me make that crystal clear.
- 823. Right after the, uh... incident,
I received a phone call.
- 824. I was told that things had gone sideways.
- 825. My response was, "Nobody's perfect."
- 826. Now, I did, I admit, inquire as to what
is normally done in these circumstances.
- 827. And they... he, the lawyer fella, Hedges,
- 828. suggested that in this very rare case,
- 829. I might wish to arrange for insurance
to prevent any blowback.
- 830. I remember thinking,
- 831. "Now, why in the world
is this liability mine?"
- 832. I mean, you have to please understand
- 833. I was very new to this kind of thing.
- 834. I bled a little ink, so yeah.
Selfishly, I didn't want any blowback.
- 835. And so, eventually,
we agreed that for an additional 150k
- 836. the trail could be scrubbed.
- 837. That was literally all I was told.
"Cleanup on aisle three."
- 838. His words, not mine.
- 839. And so, I made sure
there was enough in escrow
- 840. and never thought about it again.
- 841. Until...
- 842. What I'm trying to say here,
and I can't express this strongly enough,
- 843. I have no issue with you.
- 844. Zero.
- 845. As far as I'm concerned,
- 846. we're good.
- 847. I'm curious.
- 848. I break into your home
- 849. in the middle of the night
with a silenced pistol,
- 850. and you have no idea why I might be here?
- 851. If I have to come back,
- 852. maybe a radioactive speck
on the lip of your favorite coffee mug.
- 853. A slow death, mind you,
from painful facial necrosis.
- 854. Or a tragic misstep
into your penthouse elevator shaft.
- 855. But I promise,
- 856. I'll find something fitting.
- 857. The need to feel secure.
- 858. It's a slippery slope.
- 859. Fate is a placebo.
- 860. The only life path...
- 861. the one behind you.
- 862. If, in the brief time we're all given,
- 863. you can't accept this,
- 864. well, maybe you're not one of the few.
- 865. Maybe you're just like me.
- 866. One of the many.