- 1. It's nearly 7 o'clock,
- 2. I'm almost finished reading it.
- 3. Did I bother you?
- 4. Send this to the laundry.
- 5. The weather has gotten warmer.
- 6. What is it?
Don't feel like sleeping?
- 7. I'm thinking about rewriting it.
- 8. Close to deadlines,
I suffer from writer's block.
- 9. Rewrite it again?
- 10. I've never seen you
stressed out like this.
- 11. Take it easy.
- 12. Writing a novel shouldn't be so deadly.
- 13. We thought it was a
small gambling parlor.
- 14. They're armed when we broke in.
- 15. How many people in there are armed?
- 16. No idea.
- 17. You should've called the SWAT team.
- 18. Already did, should arrive soon.
- 19. How did you catch them?
- 20. The landlord was the whistleblower.
- 21. Freeze!
- 22. Spread your legs!
- 23. Don't even dare run!
- 24. It was the first day of spring.
- 25. If you understand seasons,
- 26. change is a cycle of reincarnations.
- 27. This spring is no different than the past.
- 28. For a married couple like them,
- 29. Their biggest problem was...
- 30. Chief died of a heart attack last night.
- 31. We heard about it last night.
- 32. We're just talking about it now.
- 33. It's so sudden and unexpected.
- 34. I knew that he was due for trouble.
- 35. Do you think so?
- 36. I didn't expect it to
be a heart attack.
- 37. Didn't you notice he
was neurotic lately?
- 38. Didn't you think so?
- 39. His life was too tedious.
- 40. When an accident occurs, his problem
is that he's unable to react.
- 41. Rumor has it he's having an affair.
- 42. His wife found out
about the other woman.
- 43. It's just hearsay.
- 44. I doubt it.
- 45. You never know.
- 46. He smoked like a chimney.
- 47. He could smoke a whole
carton in two, three days.
- 48. Matters need to be
addressed upon his death.
- 49. His pension and funeral committee...
- 50. I think that the late Chief Kao
- 51. contributed a great deal
to our hospital.
- 52. I think all of us should...
from now on...
- 53. This hospital has set
policies and measures.
- 54. No worries.
We'll do our best.
- 55. Okay... That's comforting.
- 56. Oh yeah, between you and Hsiao-chin...
- 57. Who joined this hospital first?
- 58. We started out around the same time.
- 59. After graduation, we went
around looking for jobs.
- 60. We were hired together.
- 61. Since we have no inside connections,
- 62. we've got no one else but ourselves.
- 63. I really like my job now.
- 64. It's very stable.
- 65. I had another offer with better pay.
- 66. But it had less security.
- 67. So I didn't go for it.
- 68. I've gotten used to being here.
- 69. I believe as long as I work hard,
- 70. I'll... I'll rise up with proper promotion.
- 71. Sir, the reason you're asking is...
- 72. Oh, nothing.
I'm just wondering.
- 73. Is there anything else?
- 74. No. Nothing.
- 75. Thank you, sir.
- 76. There is one thing.
- 77. Now that the chief is no longer with us,
- 78. I can't help but tell the truth.
- 79. It's about the recent
bidding for equipment.
- 80. The late Chief didn't handle the bidding.
- 81. It was actually Hsiao-chin.
- 82. How come Chief Kao never said anything?
- 83. Hsiao-chin is my good friend.
- 84. I shouldn't have said anything.
- 85. What is that suppose to mean?
- 86. You shouldn't lie even
he's a good friend.
- 87. Chief Kao already passed away.
- 88. He shouldn't be the scapegoat.
- 89. Yes... that's why I'm telling you now.
- 90. I'll investigate this matter.
- 91. Also...
- 92. pay more attention to the department.
- 93. You'll be the acting Chief.
- 94. Okay?
- 95. Yes... of course.
- 96. Thank you, sir.
- 97. Are you in need of a good whipping?
- 98. If you're so tough,
stay out like your dad.
- 99. Just stay out and
don't ever come back!
- 100. You've changed.
- 101. You've changed a lot.
- 102. I've become more and more ordinary.
- 103. How about it?
Working for my company?
- 104. Do I have what it takes?
- 105. You're asking me.
You'll do it either way.
- 106. In my mind, you've always
been smart and talented.
- 107. If not you, who else can I turn to?
- 108. That was a long time ago.
- 109. I haven't worked for years.
- 110. You've been writing all these years.
- 111. All I have to show for is this book.
- 112. I know about this book.
- 113. I also know that, I'm the
protagonist in the short story.
- 114. Hsiao-shen got a divorce.
- 115. He left his job.
- 116. He's starting his own company.
- 117. I went to his office this afternoon.
- 118. He asked me to work for him.
- 119. He even said that as talented as I am,
- 120. it's a shame for me to stay home.
- 121. It might be good to work again.
- 122. It's great when a job presents itself.
- 123. I'll soon be promoted to chief.
- 124. What about Hsiao-chin?
- 125. He's in trouble.
- 126. Big trouble.
- 127. Fucking bitch.
- 128. What the...?
You're still alive!
- 129. You're the only one that got away.
- 130. I heard it was the landlord
who called the cops.
- 131. Lao-wai wanted to set up a parlor.
- 132. He should have paid off the landlord.
- 133. He didn't even pay rent.
- 134. Of course you can't find them.
- 135. They all skipped town.
- 136. Some have returned to the south.
- 137. Ta-shun?
Ta-shun is behind bars.
- 138. Lao-wai is in maximum security prison.
- 139. You gotta lay low as well.
- 140. You can come here then.
- 141. Crowded places are the best.
- 142. Let me tell you, the most dangerous
place is also the safest place.
- 143. Don't you get it?
- 144. Dumbass!
- 145. The next beep will be 11:31 and 10 seconds.
- 146. The next beep will be 11:31 and 20 seconds.
- 147. The next beep will be...
- 148. No! Not here! You made a mistake!
- 149. Weird, the address is here correct.
- 150. A lady called to place an order.
- 151. A film production here
needs 50 bento boxes.
- 152. Does it look like we
are making a movie?
- 153. No way!
You take them out of here.
- 154. Definitely not here!
- 155. Making a movie? Whatever!
- 156. Young man, are you
looking to rent a place?
- 157. C'mon in...
I'll offer you a great deal.
- 158. I'm not looking to rent.
- 159. No? Then what are you doing here?
- 160. Checking the electricity meter?
- 161. Ever since the shooting incident,
- 162. I haven't been able to
rent out this place.
- 163. Talk about bad luck.
- 164. Every day people look
at me like I'm crazy.
- 165. Yesterday three fire
trucks showed up again,
- 166. saying this place was on fire.
- 167. This place is haunted by ghosts.
- 168. What the fuck.
- 169. It's too late.
- 170. In this world you're the
only one who cares.
- 171. I'm feeling really down.
- 172. I don't want to live anymore.
- 173. I've swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills.
- 174. I am not kidding, I don't want to live.
- 175. There's no point to be alive.
- 176. There's no meaning at all.
- 177. Thank you. So long. Good-bye.
- 178. Hey, I'm looking for Ade.
- 179. Cut the crap!
- 180. If you don't get him to answer the phone,
- 181. I'll break your arms and legs.
- 182. I don't know what to do anymore.
- 183. You know...
- 184. At first,
- 185. I could count on some
basic writing skills.
- 186. Some experiences from
my years as a student.
- 187. Even stories which are not personal,
- 188. I've heard of the stories and the people.
- 189. I jotted down lots of
details in my notebook.
- 190. It's become meaningless
to write like this.
- 191. Now I really feel
- 192. I've used up all I've got.
- 193. In the past thirty years,
- 194. I've depleted it all so quickly.
- 195. Now I can only write about married couples.
- 196. I can't think of anything else
- 197. because my world has gotten
smaller and smaller.
- 198. Do you understand?
- 199. I don't know how others
rate your novel.
- 200. When I read your novel,
- 201. it's like I can see you.
- 202. That is you in the past.
- 203. We've become young again.
- 204. Time can never take that away from us.
- 205. I've always had faith in you.
- 206. What are you thinking?
- 207. Nothing.
- 208. Doesn't Li-chung know about
our past relationship?
- 209. You've never told him about our past?
- 210. He never asked.
- 211. Then he really trusts you.
- 212. Yes.
- 213. That's not it.
- 214. What I mean is,
that's not trust.
- 215. It seems like he didn't care.
- 216. You've got me all confused.
- 217. Your wife.
What was she like?
- 218. I didn't realize that my marriage
had such a huge impact on you.
- 219. When I read about myself in
your novel, I finally knew.
- 220. It made me feel... guilty.
- 221. It's just a novel.
Don't take it seriously.
- 222. After all, it's fiction, not reality.
- 223. You don't have to drop me off.
- 224. You'd better find someone else to help.
- 225. Don't waste your time on me.
- 226. I had nothing to do with that bidding.
- 227. Listen!
- 228. I was at the personnel office yesterday.
- 229. The director has told me all about it.
- 230. What he said was just some...
- 231. Just shut up!
- 232. Listen to me...
- 233. You be careful!
- 234. To hell with it.
- 235. I resign. I'm leaving today.
- 236. They've put me under investigation.
- 237. They claimed that during the last bidding,
- 238. I purposely didn't notify Da-De Company.
- 239. I don't even know the
date for the bidding.
- 240. This is just great.
- 241. Now that the chief is
dead, we'll never know.
- 242. It must be Hsiao-hsueh.
He's up to no good.
- 243. Besides you, he's the
only one who knows.
- 244. No way.
- 245. They'll write me up for a major demerit.
- 246. Shit. Just because the chief is dead,
- 247. it doesn't make him a saint.
- 248. I'm not gonna be the scapegoat!
- 249. Are you smoking again?
- 250. Didn't you quit?
- 251. It's all right...
- 252. It's all right if you can't finish writing.
- 253. You can always continue tomorrow.
- 254. You haven't been drafted yet?
- 255. Where have you been hiding?
- 256. Everyone has come here looking for you.
- 257. Your girlfriend came by already.
- 258. Your dad sent someone
here asking about you.
- 259. How about it? Not bad, huh?
- 260. I told you it's worth your
time coming here.
- 261. My second-hand gears,
- 262. they are the best in town.
- 263. I have no money.
- 264. You can collect your money from my dad.
- 265. No way! Your dad
already made it clear.
- 266. He won't pay for any of your debt.
- 267. Hello?
- 268. He's gone to work.
May I ask who's calling?
- 269. Yes, I'm his wife.
- 270. Who is this?
- 271. Is he not home right now?
- 272. I have... urgent matters
to discuss with him.
- 273. Actually, I can discuss
them with you as well.
- 274. Yeah.
- 275. There's something to be taken care of.
- 276. Can we... can we meet?
- 277. You name a place and I'll be there.
- 278. Hello?
- 279. Hello?
- 280. It's you.
- 281. How come your study is so messy?
- 282. Is Lee Li-chung away?
- 283. I haven't seen him for
two or three days now.
- 284. He might have taken a leave of absence.
- 285. Sir, there's someone here to see you.
- 286. You piece of shit!
- 287. If you're dead you should
at least send an obituary.
- 288. How long has it been
since we last met up?
- 289. My wife hasn't come
home for three days now.
- 290. Have you asked her friends?
- 291. I don't want people to know.
- 292. I wouldn't even dare call her family.
- 293. There's not much I can do for
you unless there's kidnapping
- 294. or ransom involved.
- 295. Then I can be of assistance to you.
- 296. You should think about what's
going on with her lately.
- 297. For instance...
- 298. Besides suffering from writer's block,
- 299. there's nothing out of the ordinary.
- 300. The editor starts at 6.
- 301. Nobody is there now.
- 302. Hello, I'm...
- 303. That was the editor calling.
- 304. He said that Yu-fen had contacted him.
- 305. She's working on her
novel in a quiet place.
- 306. Maybe she wants to be
left alone for a while.
- 307. I'm very relieved.
- 308. No worries. She'll be
back in a day or two.
- 309. A while ago she really wanted a child.
- 310. It didn't happen.
- 311. She was quite frustrated.
- 312. She ended up writing all day.
- 313. I didn't oppose it.
- 314. Lately she seems a bit restless again.
- 315. Who would guess that
she would marry you?
- 316. Come to think of it, I feel ashamed.
- 317. I knew that she likes nice things
- 318. and a more comfortable life.
- 319. Finally our newly appointed
director will promote me to chief.
- 320. Maybe it will improve the situation a bit.
- 321. We'll see.
- 322. Good friends ought to keep in touch often.
- 323. Don't be like this.
- 324. You come to me when you need help.
- 325. You're home.
- 326. You could say something before leaving.
- 327. You didn't even leave a contact number.
- 328. Did you submit your novel?
- 329. I just made the deadline.
- 330. How is it? Any chance?
- 331. I'm happy that I was
able to finish writing.
- 332. I won't dare think about anything else.
- 333. We can clean up this mess finally.
- 334. While you were gone, I
didn't move your stuff.
- 335. You can leave them.
I need a few books.
- 336. No trouble. I can't stand this mess.
- 337. I'm moving out.
- 338. I've already found a place.
- 339. I think I'll move out tonight.
- 340. I need a change of scene.
- 341. I need to change my lifestyle.
- 342. I've already started working.
- 343. I no longer need to work on writing.
- 344. I'm not cut out for it anyway.
- 345. If you knew what you know now, you
would never have given it up.
- 346. It was too good a job to be given up.
- 347. You wouldn't be stuck at home writing.
- 348. What have I done wrong again?
- 349. I've gone along with all your decisions.
- 350. Take a look at this house.
- 351. Everything is set up to your liking.
- 352. Say something!
- 353. Talk to me!
- 354. What's been going on with you
these past few years?
- 355. If you knew it would end up like this,
why didn't you do something?
- 356. When we married,
you vowed to quit writing.
- 357. Who knows what's gotten into you?
- 358. First, you quit your job.
- 359. Then you locked yourself in the house.
- 360. It was driving me up the wall!
- 361. I'm telling you.
- 362. Every time I was in front of your study,
I wouldn't even dare step inside.
- 363. Do you know...
- 364. If it weren't for having a baby together,
- 365. this would have happened long ago.
- 366. I was so sick and tired of my job.
- 367. I was afraid my whole
life would pass me by.
- 368. You know, every day I
lock myself in the study,
- 369. I keep thinking about poetic lines.
- 370. They help me forget about my pain.
- 371. Forget about the baby I lost.
- 372. By now if you still don't get
it, you'll never understand.
- 373. Every time you either misunderstand me
- 374. or scold me.
- 375. Maybe I haven't been fair to you.
- 376. But...
- 377. But I know what kind of life I need.
- 378. When we got married,
- 379. I thought it would be a new beginning.
- 380. Trying to have a baby,
- 381. I thought that would be
a new beginning, too.
- 382. Trying to write a novel again,
- 383. I was hoping it would be a new beginning.
- 384. My decision to leave you,
- 385. I'm also aiming for a new beginning.
- 386. What's the point of me
telling you all this?
- 387. Do you understand?
- 388. All you know are ordinary routines.
- 389. Day in and day out it's just repetition.
- 390. I lock myself in that
little study every day.
- 391. I want to escape from
all that repetition...
- 392. Tedious repetitions.
- 393. Do you understand?
- 394. This is our biggest difference.
- 395. This is why!
- 396. A while ago when the
cops raided this place,
- 397. I saw you jump from the back balcony.
- 398. I took you to the hospital.
- 399. When I went to look for you afterwards,
- 400. you had already been discharged.
- 401. So, the bento boxes and fire trucks,
- 402. you're the one who placed the call.
- 403. Also, that young housewife.
- 404. What kind of pleasure do
you get from your pranks?
- 405. Do you find pleasure in
snapping random photos?
- 406. This is serious stuff.
- 407. I have perfect vision
according to my physical.
- 408. When I get drafted,
I'd make a good marksman.
- 409. I have a classmate
whose voice can travel.
- 410. He's become a singer now. So,
- 411. I guess I can probably become a
well-known photographer someday.
- 412. This is a darkroom.
- 413. How long have I been here?
- 414. I have no idea.
- 415. Is it daytime or nighttime?
- 416. I don't know.
- 417. I'm guessing it's daytime.
- 418. You want to bet?
- 419. You lose.
- 420. I'll bring your picture
with me to the army.
- 421. I'll write to you every day.
- 422. You'll stay with me and wait for me.
- 423. Going to Kaohsiung?
What's going on there?
- 424. NT3,000.
- 425. Take it or leave it.
- 426. NT3,000.
Take it or leave it.
- 427. NT3,000 is plenty to spend in Kaohsiung.
- 428. NT3,000 is plenty and
you'll have money left.
- 429. Cut the crap or you only get NT2,000.
- 430. Cut the crap or you only get NT2,000.
- 431. Say something!
- 432. What now? No need to snoop around!
- 433. Do you get it?
Ta-shun is no longer here.
- 434. Say something. Are you mad?
- 435. Rumor has it Ta-shun's out.
- 436. Young master, you've come home.
- 437. I'm broke.
Where else can I go?
- 438. This arrived two days ago.
- 439. Are you having some
trouble at home lately?
- 440. No. It's all right now.
- 441. Really?
- 442. I heard your wife left you.
Is that right?
- 443. No. She just needs
some peace and quiet.
- 444. She needs to concentrate on her novel.
- 445. She's a writer, a female novelist.
- 446. What does she write about?
- 447. I'm not sure.
- 448. I don't have a habit of reading novels.
- 449. Hello?
- 450. The editor just called.
- 451. The result for the best novel is out.
- 452. I won first place.
- 453. That means you can change your career.
- 454. At first I thought I was not
cut out to be a novelist.
- 455. I was thinking...
- 456. If I couldn't finish it,
I would quit.
- 457. The story is about an ordinary couple.
- 458. I added a plot with an anonymous call.
- 459. The wife character often
hears a woman's voice.
- 460. A woman's voice.
- 461. But she's never seen her in person.
- 462. I was hoping to try some new approaches.
- 463. I'm influenced by Japanese suspense novels.
- 464. It's very sincere and honest.
- 465. I let out my gut feelings...
- 466. I've seen this person.
I must have.
- 467. This person won first
place for the best novel.
- 468. She's a pretty good writer.
- 469. She writes novels.
- 470. "Notes from a Marriage".
- 471. What's it about?
- 472. It's about a married couple.
- 473. There's some tension going on.
- 474. They don't get along too well.
- 475. And then, the wife gets a
call from the other woman.
- 476. She's in pain.
Then everything changes.
- 477. The husband has no idea what's going on.
- 478. He's miserable and under a lot of stress.
- 479. He can't take it anymore
and kills his wife.
- 480. Then he commits suicide,
- 481. putting an end to this misery.
- 482. One of the jury members said,
the story is so close to life,
- 483. and yet it's intriguing.
- 484. It sends chills up to spine.
- 485. It was a total surprise.
- 486. In that case...
- 487. can you move back home now?
- 488. I just don't get it.
- 489. Our careers are on track and
we're doing well. Why is...
- 490. I've said all I have to say...
- 491. and you still don't understand.
- 492. Let's stop wasting each other's time.
- 493. I don't mean to hurt you.
- 494. You must understand.
- 495. It's just a novel.
- 496. And it's driving you crazy.
- 497. That's mad.
- 498. I'm the only one in this world who
knows what this is all about.
- 499. Novels are fiction.
They aren't real.
- 500. You just find out this novel is fiction.
- 501. But what can you do?
- 502. Okay...
- 503. They start working at 6 or 7.
- 504. There's no one at the newspaper.
- 505. Still no one answering.
- 506. Let's go.
Mind your own business.
- 507. Hello?
- 508. She's not here.
Who is this?
- 509. Who is this?
- 510. Name a place and I'll be there.
- 511. Are you busy?
- 512. What's up?
What's going on?
- 513. Have you seen these two people before?
- 514. That's my buddy.
His name is Ta-shun.
- 515. This... this is his girl.
- 516. He's dating a foreign chick.
- 517. That piece of shit.
- 518. Where did you get this picture?
- 519. Some kid just called me up.
- 520. He said I must meet him.
- 521. He claimed that this girl
has everything to do
- 522. with Yu-fen leaving me.
- 523. He said it's all written in this novel.
- 524. Novel? What novel?
- 525. This one just won first place.
- 526. I haven't read it.
- 527. No kidding.
- 528. I'm not entirely sure.
- 529. Let me read the novel
first and then we'll talk.
- 530. Go on with your business.
- 531. Have a seat.
- 532. Do you know where I can find them?
- 533. Yuan Da Hardware, Export Manager.
- 534. What are you doing?
- 535. What is this?
- 536. What? Don't you understand?
- 537. She's my little sister!
What do you want?
- 538. You'd better get your
head wired together!
- 539. You're abducting an underage girl.
- 540. She's only fourteen!
- 541. Call the cops if you dare.
- 542. You didn't tell me.
- 543. How would I know, right?
- 544. No such things.
- 545. That girl was just playing a prank.
- 546. I can find her to verify for you.
- 547. She's right here.
- 548. Long time no see.
- 549. I'm here to see her.
I need to talk to her.
- 550. Come on in.
- 551. Wait for me in the conference room.
- 552. Maybe that phone call
made me suspect you.
- 553. But that's not the point!
- 554. Don't you understand?
- 555. Novels are just novels.
- 556. Can't you separate fiction from reality?
- 557. Stop it!
- 558. How could you?
You're coming home with me!
- 559. Come home with me!
- 560. What are you doing?
- 561. Sorry, I'm late.
- 562. I got tied up on my way here.
- 563. This morning...
HR made an announcement.
- 564. The director promoted me to chief.
- 565. The director's not in.
- 566. I'll page you once he returns.
- 567. That won't be necessary.
I'll wait for him.
- 568. Lee Li-chung won't leave.
- 569. What should I do, sir?
- 570. When did you get here?
I didn't hear you.
- 571. I have news for you.
- 572. Today,
- 573. the announcement for
the new chief was released.
- 574. The director chose me.
- 575. I am now the official chief.
- 576. That's great!
You've waited so long.
- 577. This calls for a celebration.
- 578. Let's go have a drink.
- 579. Finally!
- 580. I've never seen you this happy.
- 581. Yeah.
- 582. The management finally noticed me.
- 583. The director is awfully nice to me.
- 584. I'll work ever harder from now on.
- 585. For men,
- 586. a successful career is everything.
- 587. Nothing else really matters.
- 588. My wife left me.
- 589. So what?
- 590. That won't kill me.
- 591. I'm very blessed and fortunate.
- 592. I could be left miserable and penniless.
- 593. Right?
- 594. Drink up! Drink up!
Say no more.
- 595. Sir, that guy Shen has been
shot on the crime scene.
- 596. He's been sent to the hospital.
- 597. He is in stable condition now.
- 598. Lee Li-chung's wife is also sent to ER.
- 599. She's still in shock
and hasn't recovered.
- 600. Set up a stakeout on the hospital premises.
- 601. He'll show up for sure.
- 602. Have I seen you somewhere before?
- 603. Really?
- 604. Damn it!
- 605. Are you feeling all right?