- 1. Johnson!
- 2. Yes, sir!
- 3. - Honeycutt!
- 4. - Melvin!
- 5. Oh, man. Is that
what I think it is?
- 6. All right, you cheese dicks,
welcome to the Nam. Follow me!
- 7. I'll be dipped in shit!
- 8. New meat! You dudes
gonna love the Nam.
- 9. For fucking ever.
- 10. 365 and a wake-up.
- 11. Oh, Lord!
- 12. Xin loi, buddy.
- 13. Get him up here.
- 14. Sky Six, Ripper
Six, radio check. Over.
- 15. Watch it below!
- 16. Morehouse,
drop back to slack.
- 17. Who's on
- 18. Eagle, Eagle, Ripper Six.
Pos rep follows.
- 19. I, Shackle, Lima, Whiskey,
Alpha, Whiskey, Foxtrot.
- 20. Warren, move Sanderson
out on flank.
- 21. - Say, Huffmeister!
- 22. - You got a smoke?
- No, I'm out of those!
- 23. Xin loi, man.
- 24. Bravo Two-Six.
- 25. What's the delay up on point?
- 26. You having compass
trouble again, Wolfe?
- 27. Come higher.
- 28. Shit.
- 29. - Get up.
- Get up.
- 30. Get a move on, boy.
- 31. Boy, what you waiting for?
- 32. Ain't gonna bite you.
- 33. That's a good gook.
- 34. Good and dead.
- 35. Cherry. Yo! Cherry!
- 36. Two-five-two actual. Move it out. Six says
we're jamming them up back there. Over.
- 37. Tell that dipshit
to get fucked.
- 38. This is Two-Five, be advised.
We're moving out shortly. Out.
- 39. What the hell's the
matter with you, Taylor?
- 40. You are one simple
son of a bitch.
- 41. I'm sorry, Sergeant.
- 42. Get that other cherry up here.
- 43. - And the Doc.
- Gardner! Doc! Up!
- 44. Gardner and the Doc, to the front!
To the front!
- 45. Gardner, up.
- 46. Gardner, get your ass up
the hill, you fat fuck!
- 47. Hurry up, bubble-butt!
- 48. Pos rep follows.
- 49. I, Shackle, Lima, Whiskey,
- 50. Alpha, Whiskey, Foxtrot,
- 51. Foxtrot, Echo, Whiskey, Shackle.
- 52. You all right?
- 53. Ants. I got ants
all over my neck.
- 54. You got some fucking red ants.
- 55. Bites are killers.
- 56. Black ants are the worst.
- 57. Hurry up, lard-ass.
- 58. - Better lose some weight.
- Better hustle up, bacon.
- 59. I'm so tired!
- 60. Just a little.
- 61. Don't drink too much.
- 62. Look, I don't want you drinking any more.
- 63. I don't want you cramping up.
- 64. You're humping too
much stuff, troop.
- 65. You don't need half this shit.
- 66. I'll haul it for you,
- 67. but next time you check
with me first, all right?
- 68. Okay. Thanks, Sarge.
- 69. - All right, you okay?
- 70. Two-Two, this is Six.
- 71. I understand you have a bird
inbound at your pos at this time.
- 72. Bravo Six, Bravo
Six, be advised.
- 73. Resupply helo is inbound
at this time. Over.
- 74. Come on, you people! Get ready.
Get that ammo off now!
- 75. Move it!
- 76. It ain't D-E-R-E, it's D-E-A-R.
- 77. And Sarah ain't got no two "R's, King.
Damn, you dumb!
- 78. It don't make no difference.
She know what I mean.
- 79. She don't read too good nohow.
- 80. Look at this shit!
- 81. Man, why don't you let me have that
turkey loaf for this pork shit, man?
- 82. Just today. I can't eat
this shit, Harold!
- 83. What you been smoking, Junior?
- 84. I hope you don't get that laundry gig.
I hope Manny get it.
- 85. 'Cause your ass need to
hump, hump, and hump.
- 86. Hey, white boy, what you waiting for?
That hole ain't gonna dig itself.
- 87. Come on, boy. Get your dick
skin on that thing! Dig!
- 88. We ain't got all day! Dig! Dig!
- 89. Somebody once wrote,
- 90. "Hell is the impossibility
- 91. That's what this place feels like.
- 92. I hate it already, and it's only been
a week. Some goddamn week, Grandma.
- 93. The hardest thing I think I've ever done
is go on point. Three times this week.
- 94. I don't even know
what I'm doing.
- 95. A gook could be standing three feet in
front of me, and I wouldn't know it.
- 96. I'm so tired.
- 97. We get up at 5:00
a.m., hump all day,
- 98. camp around 4:00 or 5:00,
dig a foxhole, eat.
- 99. Then put out an all-night ambush or a
three-man listening post in the jungle.
- 100. It's scary, 'cause nobody tells me
how to do anything 'cause I'm new.
- 101. Nobody cares about the new guys. They
don't even want to know your name.
- 102. The unwritten rule is a new
guy's life isn't worth as much
- 103. 'cause he hasn't put
his time in yet.
- 104. And they say if you're gonna
get killed in the Nam,
- 105. it's better to get it
in the first few weeks.
- 106. The logic being you
don't suffer that much.
- 107. If you're lucky, you get to
stay in the perimeter at night,
- 108. and then you pull a
three-hour guard shift.
- 109. So, maybe you sleep three,
four hours a night,
- 110. but you don't really sleep.
- 111. I don't think I can keep
this up for a year, Grandma.
- 112. I think I made a big
mistake coming here.
- 113. We've got beaucoup movement.
- 114. The third battalion just got
hit 15 klicks north of here.
- 115. Charlie had claymores
strung up in the trees.
- 116. Blew a whole fucking platoon to pieces.
- 117. Yeah, I got two
lieutenants and a captain.
- 118. Jesus.
- 119. All right, Sergeant, who
do you want on ambush?
- 120. Elias, you take your squad out.
- 121. Warren, you stay in,
- 122. but I need Tex and
Junior from your squad.
- 123. Roger that.
- 124. Okay, move out in
- 125. I thought it was
O'Neill's turn tonight.
- 126. No, no, no, no, no, no.
Tubbs and Morehouse are short.
- 127. Fu Sheng's going on
an R&R tomorrow,
- 128. and you want to send
them out on an ambush?
- 129. You got the fresh meat, buddy.
- 130. They don't know shit, Barnes,
- 131. and chances are we're
gonna run into something.
- 132. Think about it.
- 133. That's just great, Bob,
and what do you want me to do?
- 134. Send one of my guys
out to get zapped
- 135. so some lame-ass just in from the
world can get his beauty sleep? No.
- 136. Hey, O'Neill, take a break.
- 137. You don't have to be a prick every
day of your life, you know.
- 138. Elias, get your men ready.
- 139. Guy's in three years, he thinks he's
Jesus fucking Christ or something.
- 140. O'Neill, your short-timers
stay in, but you go out.
- 141. I need veterans out there.
- 142. Sergeant Barnes.
- 143. Sergeant.
- 144. I think, in front of the men, it's
necessary for me to give the orders.
- 145. Yes, sir.
- 146. Shit, looks like
it's gonna rain.
- 147. Man, it's gonna piss
on us all night.
- 148. Gonna put a serious case of crotch rot
on that your ugly face of yours, Junior.
- 149. Goddamn, man. You break
your ass for the white man.
- 150. No justice, right?
- 151. What's O'Neill got, a nose up
the lieutenant's ass already?
- 152. How come we always
get fucking ambush?
- 153. 'Cause it's politics,
- 154. Hey, Chris, did I show you
a picture of Lucy Jean?
- 155. No, you didn't.
- 156. She's the one for me, all
right, that Lucy Jean.
- 157. - And she's waiting for me, too.
- Yeah, she's real pretty.
- 158. You're a lucky guy, Gardner.
- 159. - Hey, you got a picture of your girl?
- 160. I guess that leaves some unlucky
girl back at home, don't it?
- 161. Tuck this in.
- 162. Shitcan this.
- 163. Don't need this. Turn around.
- 164. Come on.
- 165. Tex, you got Junior and
Taylor here on your position.
- 166. God damn it, Elias,
don't mess with my pig.
- 167. I ain't getting greased
on this bush tonight,
- 168. so you keep this sorry
cheese-dick off my ass.
- 169. You got Taylor.
- 170. Gardner, you're with me.
- 171. Look, case anything happens to
you, you get lost or separated,
- 172. - Don't yell out, okay?
- 173. - Just sit tight, and we'll get to you.
- All right.
- 174. Yo! Saddle up!
- 175. Lock and load!
- 176. Of course, Mom and Dad
didn't want me to come here.
- 177. They wanted me to
be just like them,
- 178. respectable, hard-working,
a little house, a family.
- 179. They drove me crazy with their
goddamn world, Grandma.
- 180. You know Mom.
- 181. I guess, I mean, I've always
been sheltered and special.
- 182. I just want to be anonymous,
like everybody else.
- 183. Do my share for my country.
- 184. Live up to what Grandpa did in the
first war, and Dad did in the second.
- 185. Well, here I am,
anonymous, all right.
- 186. With guys nobody
really cares about.
- 187. They come from the end of
the line, most of them,
- 188. small towns you never heard of.
- 189. Pulaski, Tennessee.
- 190. Pork Bend, Utah.
- 191. Two years high
school's about it.
- 192. Maybe if they're lucky, a job
waiting for them back in a factory
- 193. But most of them got nothing.
- 194. They're poor. They're
- 195. Yet they're fighting for our
society and our freedom.
- 196. It's weird, isn't it? They're the
bottom of the barrel, and they know it.
- 197. Maybe that's why they
call themselves grunts,
- 198. 'cause a grunt can take
it, can take anything.
- 199. They're the best I've ever seen, Grandma.
The heart and soul.
- 200. Hey, Taylor.
- 201. Hey, cheese-dick, you're up.
- 202. - What?
- You're up.
- 203. You sure you know how to
work the claymores, dude?
- 204. Yeah. I'm sure.
- 205. Flick the safety off and bang
on that sucker three times.
- 206. Three times. I got it.
- 207. And don't catch any "Z's on me,
buddy, or I'll sling your sorry ass.
- 208. - You hear me?
- 209. Maybe I finally found
it, way down here in the mud.
- 210. Maybe from down here I
can start up again.
- 211. Be something I can be proud
of without having to fake it,
- 212. be a fake human being.
- 213. Maybe I can see something I don't yet see
or learn something I don't yet know.
- 214. I miss you.
- 215. I miss you very much.
- 216. Tell Mom I miss her, too. Chris.
- 217. Junior.
- 218. Junior.
- 219. Hey.
- 220. All right, motherfucker!
- 221. It's your shift, man!
- 222. Okay?
- 223. Here, take this.
- 224. Blow the fucking claymorel
- 225. Take the safety off! Goddamn it.
- 226. - Drop it!
- Take the safety off, boy!
- 227. Feed me, Junior! Get
over here and feed me!
- 228. Bravo
Two, Bravo Two, we...
- 229. My fucking arm! My fucking arm!
- 230. - Jesus fucking Christ! My arm!
- Easy, Tex! Easy, boy!
- 231. I'm getting you medicine.
- 232. Doc, over here.
- 233. - Be right there!
- Oh, shit.
- 234. I'm hit!
- 235. - Doc, he's hit, too.
- Taylor's hit!
- 236. - Taylor's hit!
- Oh, shit.
- 237. Doc.
- 238. How bad is it, Doc?
- 239. That dumb fuck didn't
blow his claymorel
- 240. Just relax,
man, it's a scratch.
- 241. Hold this on here.
- 242. Don't lie to me, Doc!
How bad is it?
- 243. He let them walk right up on us. He
was sleeping on his goddamn shift!
- 244. No, I did not.
- 245. Big Harold, you keep an eye on him.
You don't let him go into shock.
- 246. Shut up! Shut up and take the pain!
Take the pain!
- 247. Redleg, Redleg, Bravo Six.
I have NDPs at this time. Over.
- 248. Hey, little guy,
you're gonna be okay.
- 249. Okay? Don't worry.
- 250. Big Harold.
- 251. Do you know if... If
you're gonna die?
- 252. Do you feel like everything's
just gonna be fine?
- 253. Don't give me that morbid bullshit.
We're about to get out of here.
- 254. They gonna give you
three hot meals a day,
- 255. white sheets.
- 256. Them pretty white nurses,
- 257. they gonna give you blowjobs
if you pay them enough.
- 258. I heard all about
them white bitches.
- 259. Don't baby-talk him, man!
- 260. The cocksucker fell asleep. He let them
walk right up on us and he don't do shit!
- 261. Just shut up, Junior.
- 262. You relax, okay, man?
- 263. Okay.
- 264. It's not so bad,
- 265. dying.
- 266. How long is...
- 267. How long is...
- 268. Come on, bird's on the way, man.
Hang in there! You're gonna make it!
- 269. Come on, Gardner, hang in there!
You're gonna make it.
- 270. Come on! Don't quit!
- 271. Come on, Gardner! Help me!
Don't give up!
- 272. Y'all take a good look
at this lump of shit.
- 273. Remember what it looks like.
- 274. You fuck up in a firefight
- 275. and I goddamn guarantee you
a trip out of the bush
- 276. in a body bag!
- 277. Out here, assholes, you keep your
shit wired tight at all times!
- 278. And that goes for
- 279. You don't sleep on
no fucking ambush!
- 280. And the next son of a bitch I
catch copping "Z's in the bush,
- 281. I'm personally gonna take an
interest in seeing him suffer.
- 282. I shit you not.
- 283. Doc, tag him and bag him.
- 284. I didn't fall asleep, Sergeant.
- 285. - It was Junior.
- Shut your face, chicken shit.
- 286. You in big trouble, boy.
- 287. Excuses are like
- 288. everybody got one.
- 289. Knock it off!
- 290. We got two men need
- 291. Police up your extra
ammo and frags.
- 292. Don't leave nothing
for the dinks.
- 293. Junior,
- 294. Tony,
- 295. carry Gardner.
- 296. The man would be alive if he had a
few more days to learn something.
- 297. Hey, Taylor.
What's in the breeze?
- 298. - Okay, got light duty. Three days' worth.
- No shit!
- 299. - Yeah.
- Well, too bad we in base camp anyway.
- 300. - What you got, beers?
- 301. Just stole me some
from the Top's supply.
- 302. Shit, he been stealing
it from us anyway.
- 303. Hey, Taylor! What, are you back?
- 304. Yeah, it looks like it.
- 305. Hey, King, where'd you
get those beers, boy?
- 306. - I found it.
- Oh, you found it.
- 307. You going on report, son, now.
- 308. Yeah, both of you come with me.
I got a little job for you.
- 309. Good
- 310. Motherfucker!
- 311. This is the bright
sound in the a.m.
- 312. Motherfucker!
- 313. I'm too short for
this shit, man.
- 314. They always fucking with us!
- 315. Politics, man. Fucking politics.
- 316. That O'Neill, he's got his nose so far
up Top's ass, he's gotta be Pinocchio.
- 317. Thirty-nine and a wake-up, a pause for
the cause, and I'm a gone motherfucker!
- 318. - Back to the world!
- I hear you, man.
- 319. - Broke 100 the other day.
- No shit.
- 320. Ninety-two left to go.
- 321. April 17, heroes, man.
Home to California.
- 322. I'll be sitting outside, checking
out the babes on the beach.
- 323. The surfing's gonna be good.
- 324. March, man, in Tennessee.
Sniff the pines.
- 325. Sniff that cross-mounted
pussy down by the river.
- 326. Hot damn!
- 327. Hey, Taylor, how
long you got left?
- 328. - Three hundred and what?
- 329. Three hundred and
- 330. Xin loi, my boy!
- 331. I can't even remember
when I was 332, man.
- 332. You gotta, like, count
backwards or something.
- 333. You know, like, you
got 40 days in.
- 334. I mean, think positive, dude.
- 335. Hey, Taylor. How in the
fuck you get here anyway?
- 336. - Why, you look educated.
- I volunteered for it.
- 337. You did what?
- 338. I volunteered. I dropped
out of college,
- 339. and told them I wanted the
infantry, combat, and Vietnam.
- 340. You volunteered
for this shit, man?
- 341. You believe that?
- 342. You's a crazy fucker,
giving up college.
- 343. It didn't make much sense. I
wasn't learning anything.
- 344. I figured why should just
the poor kids go off to war
- 345. and the rich kids always
get away with it?
- 346. Oh, I see. What we got
here is a crusader.
- 347. Sounds like it.
- 348. Shit.
- 349. You gotta be rich in the first
place to think like that.
- 350. Everybody know
- 351. the poor always being
fucked over by the rich.
- 352. Always have, always will.
- 353. I tell you what, if you be cool, I
introduce you around to some of the heads.
- 354. What are the heads?
- 355. Later, man.
- 356. What's up, brother?
- 357. Your highness has arrived.
- 358. Hey, what's happening?
- 359. Man, I thought you
was hanging 10 in Cambodia.
- 360. Come on, man.
- 361. How's it going?
- 362. What you doing in the
- 363. Well, this here ain't Taylor.
- 364. Taylor been shot. This man here is Chris.
He been resurrected.
- 365. You lame, Taylor?
- 366. - Am I what?
- Are you lame or something?
- 367. Go ahead, old man. Smoke it.
- 368. Give it here.
- 369. This shit's in the wind, troop.
- 370. Hey, man, what's happening, brother?
- 371. You're gonna do that pot,
you better do it right.
- 372. You're weird, man.
- 373. You're a child, Lerner. Rhah
don't waste time on you.
- 374. - First time?
- 375. Then the worm has definitely
turned for you, man.
- 376. Feel good?
- 377. Yeah, it feels good.
- 378. I got no pain in my neck now.
- 379. Feeling good, it's good enough.
- 380. Put your mouth on this.
- 381. Man, where the hell
is everybody, man?
- 382. They're getting
high, that's what.
- 383. Bunch of hopheads. They think
they're something special, man.
- 384. Listen to that.
That's a bad jam.
- 385. Redneck noise, dude.
That's all it is.
- 386. Make about as much
sense as you do.
- 387. All them chucks be rapping
about how they losing they ho,
- 388. saying how they ain't
got no bread for beer.
- 389. Fuck that honky shit. Ought to
give me some Motown jams, dig it?
- 390. Man, what are you
talking shit for, man?
- 391. - Hey, Junior, you ever smoke any shit?
- That's right, dude.
- 392. You see, y'all be trying
to keep the black man down
- 393. and string him out on that shit.
- 394. But the time be coming, my man, when
the black man throw that yoke off.
- 395. Simple. Free your mind,
your ass will follow.
- 396. Yeah, I can dig it, man.
- 397. You smoke that shit, everything kind
of gets weird. You know what I mean?
- 398. You hear that story about the gooks
putting chemicals in the grass,
- 399. so we don't fight, so
we become pacifists?
- 400. Hey, but don't you worry, Bunny,
'cause you's a killer anyway, man.
- 401. Yeah, but I still like a piece
of pussy once in a while.
- 402. Ain't nothing like a piece of
pussy except maybe the Indy 500.
- 403. Only way you get some pussy, man, is
a bitch dies and wills it to you,
- 404. and then, maybe.
- 405. How's it going, Bunny?
- 406. L.T., check it out.
- 407. You like that?
- 408. Terrific.
- 409. I'll send it home.
- 410. Hey, Junior.
- 411. - Lieutenant.
- Hello, sir.
- 412. Hey, Rodriguez, that's quite
a shrine you got there.
- 413. Thank you, sir.
- 414. - You need anything?
- No, sir.
- 415. around this flyboy's neck on
the floor of the hot, hothouse, okay?
- 416. Now wait a minute. This guy is
easily three, four times my size.
- 417. - Come on, man.
- No. No.
- 418. 'Cause I got him in the
O'Neill death grip.
- 419. He didn't know whether to shit
or go blind, for Christ's sake.
- 420. - Hey, what do you say there, L.T.?
- How you doing there, Red?
- 421. Not good. Not good.
- 422. This cocksucker's got
every card in the deck.
- 423. Full house.
- 424. Look like you're doing all
right there, Sergeant.
- 425. Yeah, and I ain't
even cheating yet.
- 426. Hey, Lieutenant, some
- 427. Thanks, Sandy.
- 428. Play, Lieutenant?
- 429. No. Wouldn't want to
get raped by you guys.
- 430. Why's that, Lieutenant? What
you saving up to be, Jewish?
- 431. Jewish.
- 432. I gotta run.
- 433. I'll catch you men later.
Enjoy yourselves tonight.
- 434. News
is up in five...
- 435. Well, that is one
- 436. What do you say there, Bob?
- 437. A guy like that make it?
Yes or no?
- 438. I have to tell you, that's
precisely what I saw.
- 439. I mean, sometimes I just
look at a guy, and I know.
- 440. This fella's not gonna make it.
- 441. Just no fucking way.
- 442. - Yeah!
- I'm going now.
- 443. Come on, now!
- 444. I want some, now.
- 445. 'Cause I tell a joke or two
- 446. Although I might be
laughing loud and hearty
- 447. Deep inside I'm blue
- 448. So take a good look at my face
- 449. You'll see my smile
looks out of place
- 450. If you look closer,
it's easy to trace
- 451. The tracks of my tears...
- 452. Yeah!
- 453. Oh, yeah!
- 454. I need you
- 455. Need you
- 456. New Year's Day, 1968.
- 457. Just another day, staying alive.
- 458. There's been a lot of movement
near the Cambodian border.
- 459. Regiments of NVA moving across.
- 460. A lot of little
- 461. We drop a lot of bombs,
- 462. then we walk through the jungle
like ghosts in a landscape.
- 463. Bunker
- 464. Where?
- 465. Bravo
Two, Bravo Two-Five.
- 466. We got beaucoup bunkers up here.
- 467. Two-five-two, roger.
Bunkers at point.
- 468. Two actuals on the way.
I'm out. Over.
- 469. Bravo Six, Bravo Six, Bravo Two.
- 470. Be advised. There is a
bunker complex up front.
- 471. Turning right
on our way down. Over.
- 472. See you next week.
- 473. Bravo Two. This is Alpha.
Be advised. We're at the tunnels...
- 474. - I got swiped three times in my first week.
- ... and one man down at this time. Over.
- 475. Taylor, get your ass up on
that flank about 50 meters.
- 476. Washington, you cover this side.
- 477. - Yes, sir.
- Get off your ass, Harold.
- 478. Bummer.
- 479. Christ. Look at that, will you?
The teapot's still boiling.
- 480. Man, they were just here.
- 481. Man, this is spooky, Sandy.
Let's get out of here.
- 482. Watch it. Watch it!
- 483. Look what we got, Sal.
We got maps.
- 484. We got S-2 stuff.
- 485. Man, this is gook stuff!
Let's get out of here!
- 486. No, Sal. This is important.
This is important.
- 487. Let's leave. Let's go.
- 488. Booby trap! Get down!
- 489. Medic!
- 490. Holy...
- 491. God damn it.
- 492. We got...
- 493. We got two men down, sir.
There was an explosion.
- 494. This... We need help, sir.
- 495. Move your ass out of here! Let's go.
One round would get all you guys out.
- 496. Rodriguez, move it!
Junior, let's go!
- 497. - Lieutenant.
- 498. Tell Six we need engineers. This
pos is crawling with traps.
- 499. They're on their way.
- 500. The NVA out of here have been spotted in
the village half a klick down the river.
- 501. - Now Six says we gotta get there ASAP:
- 502. Also, leave four of your men
here and a medic, okay?
- 503. - All right.
- Move it out.
- 504. Pull the flanks in!
- 505. - Hey, where's Manny?
- 506. - Yo, Manny!
- Hey, Washington.
- 507. Manny!
- 508. - Hey, Manny!
- 509. - Washington!
- Yo, Manny.
- 510. Manny, where you at?
- 511. We had to get to
the village before dark.
- 512. So we left Elias with some men to keep
looking and to wait for the engineers.
- 513. But it was King who found him,
about 1,000 yards downriver,
- 514. not far from the village.
- 515. It was the end of the mystery.
- 516. The motherfuckers.
- 517. The village, which had
stood for maybe 1,000 years,
- 518. didn't know we were
coming that day.
- 519. If they had, they
would have run.
- 520. Barnes was at the
eye of our rage.
- 521. And through him,
our Captain Ahab.
- 522. He would set things right again.
- 523. That day, we loved him.
- 524. There he goes, Sarge.
- 525. - Check him out.
- Yeah. You got it, Sarge.
- 526. Tubbs and Ebenhock, let's go.
- 527. Get that stupid
look off your face!
- 528. Hey, piggy, piggy. Hey, pig
- 529. Don't leave a hooch.
Spread out on the right!
- 530. Okay, watch your back!
- 531. Let's go!
- 532. What do you got here, huh?
- 533. Let's go! Move it! Go!
- 534. Get over there. Move it!
- 535. Come on! Let's go!
- 536. Let's go, Junior. Bring them in.
- 537. We have some people down here.
- 538. Get out of there, you fuckheads!
- 539. Come on!
- 540. Put them in the pig pen.
- 541. Give me your Willy Pete.
- 542. Shut up! Get back!
- 543. Fire in the hole!
- 544. Shut up! I said shut up!
- 545. Get them out of here.
- 546. Fuck. We got one.
- 547. Get the fuck out of the hole!
- 548. Get the fuck out of there. Let's go!
Come on, motherfucker!
- 549. Be cool. Be cool. They're scared, man.
- 550. They're scared, huh?
What about me, man?
- 551. What about me? I'm sick
of this fucking shit.
- 552. Come on, motherfucker, move!
- 553. Watch this, fucker!
- 554. Fuckers don't want us here, man.
- 555. Who the fuck do you think
they're fighting for, huh?
- 556. Yeah, one more!
- 557. Hey! Hey!
- 558. Well, well. What have we here?
- 559. One, two, three, four MAG 58
Czechoslovakian machine guns.
- 560. We got two, four...
- 561. Barnes, they got enough rice here
to feed a whole fucking regiment.
- 562. Sergeant Warren, you bring
that honcho over here.
- 563. Tubbs, get over here.
Junior, burn it.
- 564. What the fuck's the matter with you?
I wasn't gonna hurt you.
- 565. Look like I was gonna
fucking hurt you?
- 566. Why didn't you listen to me, huh? Why?
Why didn't you fucking listen to me?
- 567. Fucking stupid? You stupid asshole.
Get the fuck up here!
- 568. Come here, motherfucker.
What are you smiling at?
- 569. - Why the fuck didn't you listen to me?
- Do him, man. Do him!
- 570. What are you smiling at, huh? You
want something to smile at, huh?
- 571. You want something to
smile at, motherfucker?
- 572. Dance, motherfucker!
- 573. Do him, man! Do him!
- 574. Dance, motherfucker!
- 575. Dance! Dance!
- 576. Dance!
- 577. One-legged motherfucker!
- 578. Come on, man. Let's go, man.
- 579. Fucking pussy, man.
He's laughing at you.
- 580. That's the way the gook laughs.
- 581. Yeah, sure you are.
- 582. You're real sorry, ain't you?
- 583. You're just crying your little hearts
out about Sandy and Sal and Manny.
- 584. Forget about it, Bunny, huh?
- 585. What do you say?
- 586. Holy shit! You see that
fucking head come apart, man?
- 587. I never seen brains
like that before, man.
- 588. I bet you the old bitch runs
the whole fucking show, man.
- 589. She probably cut Manny's throat.
- 590. She'd probably cut my balls
off if she had the chance.
- 591. Bunny, we leave now. Nobody
saw a fucking thing!
- 592. - You understand me, Taylor?
- Fucking woman, man.
- 593. Not a fucking thing.
- 594. Come on, man, let's fucking do her, man.
Let's do this whole fucking village!
- 595. Look at the scars on
this gook honcho, Sarge.
- 596. Get out of here, Tubbs.
- 597. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
- 598. Where'd he get these wounds?
- 599. - Says he was hit in a bombing raid.
- He's a dink for sure.
- 600. Ask him why those
weapons are here.
- 601. Says they had no choice.
- 602. Says the NVA killed the old
honcho when he said no.
- 603. Now he says all the
rice is theirs.
- 604. Oh, bullshit, Lerner.
- 605. Who the hell was the gook
we nailed on the riverbank?
- 606. He doesn't know. He says that the NVA
ain't been around in a couple of months.
- 607. Look, maybe he was a scout
or something, Sarge.
- 608. Yeah, sure, a scout.
- 609. What about the fucking rice and
the weapons? Who are they for?
- 610. That cocksucker knows what I'm saying!
He understands. Don't you, pop?
- 611. - Goddamn right he does.
- You bet.
- 612. Damn it! He's lying through his teeth.
- 613. Waste the fucker,
then see who talks.
- 614. The boy doesn't fucking
- 615. He swears he doesn't
- 616. He hates the NVA, but
they come when they want,
- 617. - and they just take the...
- What's the bitch saying?
- 618. I don't know. She's going on
about Why'd we kill the pigs,
- 619. they're farmers, they got to make a living.
All that kind of shit.
- 620. Jesus!
- 621. Enough! Shut the fuck up!
- 622. You tell him he starts talking,
or I'm gonna waste more of them.
- 623. Tell him, Lerner!
- 624. Hey, Sarge, let us
in on this, all right?
- 625. Let's go for it! Let's do
the whole fucking village!
- 626. Come on, Sarge! What the
fuck are we waiting for?
- 627. Let's do them, all right?
- 628. This is his daughter, right?
- 629. You lie! No, you lie! You VC!
- 630. Barnes!
- 631. Barnes!
- 632. What the fuck do you
think you're doing?
- 633. Stay out of this, Elias.
This ain't your show.
- 634. You ain't a firing squad,
you piece of shit.
- 635. - Get him!
- Get up, Barnes!
- 636. Elias! No, no, no!
- 637. Chief! Chief, tear
his fucking head off!
- 638. Get him! Get him!
- 639. Tear him apart!
- 640. Come on, Elias!
- 641. Send him to hell!
Send him to hell, Elias!
- 642. Come on, boys, break it up now!
- 643. Break it up!
- 644. Break it up!
- 645. Come on, Elias, chill!
- 646. You're dead, Elias! I swear
to fucking God, you're dead!
- 647. You're going to do time!
- 648. This shit won't wash,
you fucking puke!
- 649. Break it up! Shut up!
- 650. Break it up! Listen up!
- 651. The captain says to torch this place!
You hear that?
- 652. Torch this place!
- 653. Blow the weapons in place! Round up
all suspected VC and shake it up!
- 654. We ain't got much light left.
- 655. Lieutenant, why the fuck
didn't you do something?
- 656. What are you talking about?
- 657. You know what the fuck
I'm talking about!
- 658. No, I don't. I don't know what the
fuck you're talking about, Elias.
- 659. All right, move it out! Let's go! You
heard the Lieutenant! Move it out!
- 660. Taylor, let's go,
for Christ's sake!
- 661. Move it out! Police up the
weapons and let's go!
- 662. Come on, Harold. It's cool.
- 663. Fire in the hole!
- 664. Fire in the hole!
- 665. Hey, come on.
- 666. Fucker. You fucker,
get out of here!
- 667. Get the fuck off!
- 668. Don't do it! Don't do it!
- 669. You fucker! What is this, huh?
- 670. What are you, a
- 671. What the fuck is your problem, Taylor?
She's a fucking dink.
- 672. She's a fucking
human being, man!
- 673. - Fuck you!
- Go fuck a cherry, Taylor.
- 674. Fucking animal! All of you,
you're fucking animals!
- 675. Fucking lame fuck!
- 676. You don't belong in the Nam, man.
This ain't your place at all.
- 677. You don't fucking get
it, do you, man?
- 678. You just don't fucking get it.
- 679. It's okay.
- 680. Get out of there!
- 681. Fuck you, too, man.
- 682. Come on, guys. Police up your
dicks and let's get out of here.
- 683. - I didn't see anything, sir.
- I did.
- 684. That dink was reported to me as
NVA by Sergeant Barnes, sir.
- 685. My report, sir, will include Lieutenant
Wolfe as being witness to the shooting.
- 686. All right, Elias.
- 687. - Staff Sergeant Barnes?
- 688. I want a full report from you on
this when we get back to the CP.
- 689. You got it, Dai-'Uy, and I can throw in
plenty of eyewitnesses if you want, sir.
- 690. Not now, god damn it! Not now.
- 691. We'll get into this when we
get back to the base camp.
- 692. And I can promise you something.
- 693. If I find out there was an illegal
killing, there will be a court-martial.
- 694. Right now I need every man in the
field, and you two will ceasefire.
- 695. Staff Sergeant Barnes,
Sergeant Elias, you hear me?
- 696. - Yes, sir.
- Yes, sir.
- 697. Now, we're going back into that
NVA bunker complex tomorrow.
- 698. This time from the East.
- 699. You people get some rest
- 700. and be back up here at the
CP at 1900 for a briefing.
- 701. - Yes, sir.
- Yes, sir.
- 702. Come on, man.
- 703. You think these chucks give
a fuck about you and me?
- 704. It could just as well have been you,
Harold, you got in Barnes' way.
- 705. And that Bunny, that
- 706. I mean, he scares me, man.
He just scares me.
- 707. Look, you bloods are getting
too hung up on all this shit.
- 708. These gooks are a lot
smarter than you think.
- 709. You know, Barnes
knows his shit, man.
- 710. They was NVA, every
last one of them.
- 711. Now, he's taken us this far, right?
He'll take us the rest of the way.
- 712. I don't know.
- 713. I mean, a Christian don't go around a
village, cutting off heads and shit.
- 714. This shit is really getting out of hand,
man. It's going way out of control.
- 715. It seems to me that you don't
seem to know the difference,
- 716. the way you shoot up
that shit all the time.
- 717. I don't know, brothers,
- 718. but I'm hurting real bad inside.
- 719. Don't worry about it, Sergeant. Elias
won't be able to prove a thing.
- 720. - I mean, he's a troublemaker, but...
- Elias is a water-walker,
- 721. like them politicians in Washington
trying to fight this war
- 722. with one hand tied
around their balls.
- 723. Ain't no need or time for
a courtroom out here.
- 724. Come on, let's go.
- 725. - Sarge.
- Thanks, Bun.
- 726. How'd it go there, Bob?
- 727. Yeah. Atta way, Sarge.
Fucking Elias, man.
- 728. He's a fucking rat,
that's what he is.
- 729. He's gonna get everybody in
this platoon in deep shit.
- 730. Somebody ought to frag his ass.
- 731. So, what do you think there, Bob?
Gonna be an investigation or what?
- 732. Bob?
- 733. O'Neill, man,
you worry too much.
- 734. Sarge will take care of it.
- 735. It's a beautiful night.
- 736. Yeah. I love
this place at night,
- 737. the stars.
- 738. There's no right
or wrong in them.
- 739. They're just there.
- 740. That's a nice way of putting it.
- 741. Barnes has got it in
for you, doesn't he?
- 742. Barnes believes in
what he's doing.
- 743. And you? Do you believe?
- 744. In '65, yeah.
- 745. Now,
- 746. no.
- 747. What happened today is
just the beginning.
- 748. We're gonna lose this war.
- 749. Come on. You really think so?
- 750. Us?
- 751. We been kicking other
people's asses for so long,
- 752. I figure it's time
we got ours kicked.
- 753. Day by day, I struggle to maintain
not only my strength but my sanity.
- 754. It's all a blur. I have
no energy to write.
- 755. I don't know what's right
and what's wrong any more.
- 756. The morale of the men is low.
- 757. A civil war in the platoon.
- 758. Half the men with Elias,
half with Barnes.
- 759. There's a lot of
suspicion and hate.
- 760. I can't believe we're fighting each
other when we should be fighting them.
- 761. Counting days and the six
inches in front of my face.
- 762. Not much else.
- 763. Hope things are well, Grandma.
- 764. Tell Mom and Dad I...
- 765. Well, just tell them. Chris.
- 766. Hey, big boy. I know you thought you
had that laundry gig all laid out.
- 767. Hell, I got to paint myself white just
to get me one of them fucking jobs.
- 768. It's all right. I got my
request in for a circumcision.
- 769. I'm gonna get my big ass
out of this fucker.
- 770. You gonna become a rabbi?
- 771. What you gonna do
with that little flap, boy?
- 772. Leech.
- 773. All right! Move it out!
- 774. Don't drink that, asshole.
You're gonna get malaria.
- 775. Yeah, I hope so.
- 776. Let's go.
- 777. Doc! Up here! Lerner's hit!
- 778. Sergeant Warren's hit!
- 779. What the fuck's going on?
- 780. They got RPGs man, it's an ambush! They
were just fucking waiting for us here!
- 781. - Who's on point?
- Lerner and Warren!
- 782. Taylor, where you going?
- 783. Dig! Dig! Down!
- 784. God damn it, you assholes!
Get some firepower up there!
- 785. Right!
- 786. Watch out! Rockets!
- 787. Where the fuck's Lerner?
- 788. He's over there, by the log!
- 789. Fire mission. Grid. 6-4-9-4-0-2.
- 790. Direction. 6-1-0...
- 791. Adjust fire, over.
- 792. Lieutenant, they're gonna get
in tight under the ARTY!
- 793. I spotted a cut over there.
- 794. Let me get some men and roll up that flank.
I can work right up on them.
- 795. Get me Barnes. Look, Elias, I don't know.
We got four down up there.
- 796. What do you want me to do?
- 797. Where the fuck is Red platoon?
- 798. Tell those assholes
to get up here!
- 799. Elias, what the fuck are
you doing back here?
- 800. Listen to me, Barnes,
there's holes back here.
- 801. Third platoon's coming up here.
- 802. Dinks get men in these holes, they
got us caught in a crossfire.
- 803. We'll shoot each other to shit.
- 804. Sounds pretty far-out
to me, Elias.
- 805. I've seen it happen,
la Drang in '66.
- 806. They cut us to fucking pieces!
- 807. I need three men!
- 808. Then you got them. Take off.
- 809. You keep pouring off
that cover fire.
- 810. I don't wanna be stuck out there
with my ass hanging in the breeze.
- 811. You don't tell me how
to run my war, Elias!
- 812. Now, you go crying and rat fucking
the brigade on your own time!
- 813. But out here, you belong to me!
- 814. You're an asshole, Barnes!
- 815. Sergeant, get that
asshole O'Neill up here.
- 816. Two Charlie, this is Two!
Be advised move...
- 817. Stay down!
- 818. Stay down!
- 819. - Ammo!
- 820. Be right back!
- 821. Sarge! Short round!
- 822. Medic!
- 823. - God!
- 824. Satchel charge!
- 825. Doc!
- 826. - Doc, help me out!
- 827. Jesus!
- 828. - You okay?
- Don't leave me, man.
- 829. - All right.
- Don't leave me.
- 830. Hey, Gator, you're
gonna be okay, man.
- 831. Don't leave me, man.
- 832. - You'll be okay.
- Here you go, man.
- 833. Hang in there.
- 834. - Drop your rucks.
- Just hang in there.
- 835. Taylor, you're coming with us.
- 836. Please, don't go.
- 837. - You're gonna be okay.
- Come on!
- 838. Doc! Take care of him, man.
- 839. Redleg, Redleg,
Ripper Bravo Two actual.
- 840. Adjustment follows. Grid.
- 841. You ignorant asshole!
- 842. What the fuck
coordinates you giving?
- 843. You wasted a lot of people up there
with your fucked-up fire mission!
- 844. You know that? You know that?
- 845. Shit!
- 846. Redleg. Redleg.
Ripper Bravo Two.
- 847. Check your fire!
Check your fire!
- 848. They're coming.
- 849. Stagger yourself across this line.
Shoot anything that moves.
- 850. - They'll be coming from over there.
- 851. Any one of them gets through,
we are truly fucked.
- 852. Where the hell are you going?
- 853. Down by the river,
about 100 meters,
- 854. in case they try to flank us.
- 855. Third platoon's coming up to
our rear, so watch for them.
- 856. Hey. Can I go with you?
- 857. No. I move faster alone.
- 858. Come here.
- 859. Let's let arty do a little
bit of the work here.
- 860. We tell everybody to
pull back to the church.
- 861. We link up with third platoon.
You got that?
- 862. What about Elias? If we
pull back, he'll be cutoff.
- 863. You just haul ass,
- 864. I'll get him.
- 865. - I got two of them fuckers, man.
- I got one!
- 866. Ho Chi Minh sucks dead dick!
- 867. Crawford!
- 868. Oh, man!
- 869. - Kiss my ass. I never thought I'd get hit.
- It's a lung, babe.
- 870. You got two of them fuckers.
- 871. Where's Elias?
- 872. Sarge, there's a bunch of
gooks came through there.
- 873. We got three of them fuckers.
- 874. Hey, didn't you hear the arty shift?
We're pulling back.
- 875. Now, get your wounded man and get
the fuck back to the church.
- 876. Get going-
- 877. - But Elias is still out there, Sarge.
- Taylor, I'll get him!
- 878. You get Crawford in now, before I
article 15 both your asses. Move!
- 879. Move it.
- 880. - All right, men. He's coming.
- Hold him down.
- 881. Medic, where the fuck are you?
- 882. Drag him there.
- 883. It's gonna be all right
in a minute, brother.
- 884. Taylor, where you going?
- 885. Elias is dead. Fall
back with the platoon.
- 886. - Get going.
- He's dead?
- 887. Yeah. Yeah, he's back
there about 100 meters.
- 888. - You saw him? Where?
- He's dead.
- 889. And there's gooks all over the
goddamn place. Get moving.
- 890. Okay. Let's go, let's go!
- 891. Let's go. Move it! Move it!
Okay, let's go!
- 892. You okay, Harold?
You're on the next one.
- 893. You're okay, bud.
- 894. Fuck!
- 895. - They got Elias!
- 896. Back down! Back down there!
- 897. Snake one-niner, fly four,
there's still one on the deck down there.
- 898. Bring in the gunships, over.
- 899. Hold your armor! Guns! Guns!
Pull off! Pull off!
- 900. We're trying to come
around my side.
- 901. He killed him.
- 902. I know that he killed him. I saw
his eyes when he came back in.
- 903. How do you know the
dinks didn't get him?
- 904. You got no proof, man.
- 905. Proof's in the eyes, man.
When you know, you know.
- 906. You were there, Rhah, and I
know what you were thinking.
- 907. I say we frag that
- 908. I go with that. An
eye for an eye.
- 909. I say let Military Justice
do the job on him.
- 910. Come on. Fuck the Military Justice!
Are you joking me?
- 911. Whose story you think
they're gonna believe?
- 912. O'Neill's? Bunny's? Wolfe's?
- 913. Shit, man, you try that
- 914. and Barnes will shove it right back
up your ass with a candle on it.
- 915. Well, then what do you
suggest we do, huh?
- 916. I suggest you all
watch your own asses,
- 917. because Barnes gonna be
coming down on all of them.
- 918. You just gonna
forget about Elias
- 919. and all the good times we
done had right in here?
- 920. Shit. You're trying to cure the
headache by cutting off the head.
- 921. Elias didn't ask you to
fight his battles for him.
- 922. If there's a heaven, and
God I hope there is,
- 923. I know he's sitting up there
drunk as a fucking monkey
- 924. and smoking shit,
- 925. 'cause he done left
his pains down here.
- 926. You're wrong, man.
- 927. Any way you cut it, Barnes
is a fucking murderer.
- 928. Right on.
- 929. Taylor, I remember when
you first came in here
- 930. telling me how much you
admired the bastard.
- 931. I was wrong.
- 932. Wrong? You ain't never
been right... about nothing!
- 933. And dig this, you assholes,
and dig it good...
- 934. Barnes been shot seven
times and he ain't dead.
- 935. Does that mean
anything to you, huh?
- 936. Barnes ain't meant to die.
- 937. The only thing that can
kill Barnes is Barnes.
- 938. Talking about killing?
- 939. Y'all experts?
- 940. Y'all know about killing?
- 941. I'd like to hear
about it, potheads.
- 942. Why do you smoke this shit?
So as to escape from reality?
- 943. Me, I don't need this shit.
- 944. I am reality.
- 945. There's the way it ought to be.
- 946. And there's the way it is.
- 947. Elias was full of shit.
- 948. Elias was a crusader.
- 949. Now, I got no fight
- 950. with any man who
does what he's told,
- 951. but when he don't, the
machine breaks down.
- 952. And when the machine breaks
down, we break down.
- 953. And I ain't gonna allow that
- 954. in any of you.
- 955. Not one.
- 956. Y'all love Elias.
- 957. Oh, you wanna kick ass.
- 958. Yeah.
- 959. Well, here I am, all
by my lonesome,
- 960. and ain't nobody gonna know.
- 961. Six of you boys against me.
- 962. Kill me.
- 963. I shit on all of you.
- 964. You motherfucker!
- 965. Give it to him! Whoop his ass.
- 966. Yes, man.
- 967. - Come on, man! Go.
- Get him!
- 968. - Oh, fuck, come on.
- Get him, Chris. Come on.
- 969. Come on, boy! Come on!
- 970. Easy, Barnes. Don't do it, man.
- 971. You'll go dinky
down in LBJ, man.
- 972. Ten years for killing
an enlisted man.
- 973. Ten years, you'll climb
the fucking walls, man.
- 974. Don't do it.
- 975. Death?
- 976. What do you all
know about death?
- 977. They sent us back
into the valley the next day
- 978. about 2,000 meters from Cambodia
- 979. into a battalion perimeter.
- 980. It felt like we were returning
to the scene of a crime.
- 981. Alpha Company had been hit hard the
day before by a sizable force,
- 982. and Charlie Company had
been probed that night.
- 983. There were other battalions in the valley.
We weren't the only ones.
- 984. But we knew we were gonna be
the bait to lure them out.
- 985. Somewhere out there was the
entire 141st NVA regiment.
- 986. Caught those motherfuckers
trying to pull some shit
- 987. on Charlie Company last night.
- 988. They found maps on them, man.
- 989. Got a friend at battalion,
- 990. says they had every fucking
foxhole here fixed on it.
- 991. Distances, tree-lines, our
- 992. This is bad, man. I
got bad vibes here.
- 993. I also heard we're in
fucking Cambodia right now.
- 994. Cambodia? Man, you kidding me.
- 995. You wanted to see me, sir?
- 996. Yeah, Ramucci. Looks like
you got Elias' squad now.
- 997. Squad, sir?
- 998. I didn't know we were still referring
to this platoon in terms of squads.
- 999. All right, look.
- 1000. I want you to take those two
holes right there and there.
- 1001. You're tying it off with Barnes
up here, King down there.
- 1002. Yeah.
- 1003. Begging your pardon, sir.
- 1004. My two holes are far enough apart
you can run a regiment through them
- 1005. and never see them.
- 1006. I have five live
bodies left, sir.
- 1007. Look, I don't wanna hear
your problems, Ramucci.
- 1008. You'll get new men any day.
- 1009. Meantime, you make do like
everybody else. Okay?
- 1010. - I didn't ask for this job.
- I don't want to hear it.
- 1011. - Oh, you don't wanna hear it?
- Yeah, that's right.
- 1012. I don't wanna hear it, 'cause to tell
the truth, I don't give a shit, okay?
- 1013. - I just don't give a flying fuck any more.
- 1014. I'm glad I ain't
going with them.
- 1015. Somewhere out there is the
beast and he hungry tonight.
- 1016. What a fucking bummer.
- 1017. Ten days and a wake-up, and I'm
still dealing with this shit.
- 1018. What's the matter with you, man?
- 1019. How come you ain't
- 1020. What about your folks?
- 1021. That grandma you was
telling me about?
- 1022. Girl?
- 1023. You got a mother and father, don't you?
There must be somebody.
- 1024. Nah, there's nobody.
- 1025. You been smoking too much
of this shit, troop.
- 1026. Gotta control that.
Bring a man down.
- 1027. I remember when you first
come out here, to the bush.
- 1028. You was green as a...
- 1029. Did you ever get caught in a mistake
that you just can't get out of, King?
- 1030. There's a way out
of anything, man.
- 1031. Just keep your pecker
hard and your powder dry,
- 1032. and the world will turn.
- 1033. How many days you short?
- 1034. Nah, it's not just me.
- 1035. It's the way the whole thing works.
People like Elias get wasted.
- 1036. People like Barnes just go on making
up the rules any way they want.
- 1037. So what do we do? Sit in
the middle and suck on it.
- 1038. We just don't add up
to dry shit, King.
- 1039. Whoever said we did, man?
- 1040. All you got to do is
make it out of here,
- 1041. and it's all gravy.
- 1042. Every day, the rest
of your life, gravy.
- 1043. Oh, shit, superlifer.
- 1044. Hey, King, collect up your shit.
Your orders just come through.
- 1045. Now look, man. Don't
fuck with me.
- 1046. What do you need, a written
invitation, for Christ's sake?
- 1047. Cocksucker! Oh, wow!
- 1048. The lifers have made a mistake.
- 1049. They cut me some slack, Taylor.
- 1050. Look, you get your
freight to Rodriguez.
- 1051. You got 10 minutes to make the last
fucking chopper out of here, man,
- 1052. 'cause if you're not
on it, I'm gonna be.
- 1053. Taylor, Francis is coming up.
- 1054. That's great, King. I'm
happy for you, man.
- 1055. - You take it on home for me, okay?
- 1056. You got my address.
- 1057. You know where you can get a
hold of me anytime, right?
- 1058. I gotta beat it, man. I don't
want to miss that chopper.
- 1059. - You okay?
- Yeah, I'm okay.
- 1060. Remember now, take it easy. Don't
think too much. Don't you be no fool.
- 1061. Remember, ain't no such thing as a
coward out here. Don't mean nothing.
- 1062. My man.
- 1063. I'll walk you out, man.
- 1064. Take it easy, King.
- 1065. I'm gonna take it any way
I can get it, brother.
- 1066. I hear you. Later.
- 1067. I'm pretty fucked up, Sarge!
- 1068. Oh, man! Don't touch that.
- 1069. I got to get on a chopper, man.
- 1070. So what's the problem?
- 1071. Says he can't walk.
- 1072. Shit.
- 1073. Martin, get your boots on.
- 1074. And the next time I catch you spraying
skeeter repellent on your fucking feet,
- 1075. I'm gonna court-martial
your nigger ass.
- 1076. Well, then court-martial
- 1077. Bust my ass. Send me
to fucking Long Binh!
- 1078. You do your fucking worst!
- 1079. You white folks have got your
last klick out of Junior!
- 1080. - O'Neill, get me that centipede.
- 1081. Yeah, that long, hairy,
red and black bastard
- 1082. I found in the ammo crate.
- 1083. I'm gonna put it in this boy's
crotch, see if he can walk.
- 1084. I remember now.
- 1085. Hey. Now hold up, man!
- 1086. You just hold up and
wait, all right?
- 1087. Fuck it! I'll walk!
I'll fucking walk, man!
- 1088. Fucking pussy, man. Hey, Sarge,
I got to have him in my hole?
- 1089. Yeah.
- 1090. Bob, I'd like to speak
to you a minute.
- 1091. I can't take it no more.
- 1092. - I'd like to speak to you, Bob.
- Yeah, what is it?
- 1093. Bob, I got Elias' R&R. It's
coming up in three days, here.
- 1094. I was thinking about going
to Hawaii, maybe see Patsy.
- 1095. Hey, Bob, come on, I never asked
you for a fucking thing over here.
- 1096. You know, I was thinking maybe...
Well, to be honest with you,
- 1097. I was hoping you'd put me on that
chopper with King out of here.
- 1098. What do you say, chief-a-rooney?
- 1099. I can't do that for you, Red.
- 1100. We need every swinging dick in
the field, and you know that.
- 1101. Hey, Bob, come on. You can
talk to me, for Christ's sake.
- 1102. All I'm asking for is
three fucking days, here.
- 1103. I am talking to you, Red,
and I'm telling you "no."
- 1104. So get back in your foxhole.
- 1105. Bob, I got a bad feeling
on this one, all right?
- 1106. I mean, I got a bad feeling.
- 1107. I don't think I'm gonna
make it out of here.
- 1108. You understand what
I'm saying to you?
- 1109. Everybody got to
die sometime, Red.
- 1110. Oh, shit.
- 1111. Goodbye, motherfuckers!
- 1112. Where's that fucking ambush?
- 1113. They ain't even waiting till later.
It's fucking coming now, man.
- 1114. Right fucking now.
- 1115. You know, Junior, some of
the things we done, man...
- 1116. I don't feel like we
done something wrong.
- 1117. But sometimes, man,
- 1118. I get this bad feeling.
- 1119. I told the Padre the truth, man.
I like it here.
- 1120. You get to do what you want.
Nobody fucks with you.
- 1121. The only worry you got is dying.
- 1122. And if that happens, you
won't know about it anyway.
- 1123. So what the fuck, man.
- 1124. Shit, I got to be in
this hole with you, man?
- 1125. I just know I
shouldn't have come.
- 1126. Don't you worry, Junior.
- 1127. You're hanging with Audie
Murphy here, my man.
- 1128. Bravo Three, Bravo Three, Bravo Six,
send me a grid. Send me a grid. Over.
- 1129. Can't, sir. Pinned down.
They're in the fucking trees.
- 1130. Okay, Three Alpha,
now calm down, son.
- 1131. I'll get you a fire mission ASAP.
Smoke will be first.
- 1132. Lieutenant's dead.
Radioman looks dead, sir.
- 1133. I don't know where
the map is, Captain!
- 1134. They're all around us,
sir, hundreds of them!
- 1135. I can hear them talking gook.
- 1136. Okay, Three Alpha. Now spot that
smoke, and tell me where to shift.
- 1137. Just calm down, son. Hang in there.
We'll get you out.
- 1138. Just tell me where the rounds hit.
- 1139. Three Alpha Six. How
about those rounds, son?
- 1140. Can you adjust fire? Over.
- 1141. Three Alpha Six.
- 1142. If you can't talk, son, just
key your handset twice. Over.
- 1143. Shit.
- 1144. Trip flare! Rodriguez's hole!
- 1145. RPG!
- 1146. Doc, Doc!
- 1147. Taylor, Francis.
- 1148. Over here, man.
- 1149. What the fuck's going on? Rodriguez's
hole just got nailed, man!
- 1150. Gooks, man. We got gooks
in the fucking perimeter.
- 1151. Oh, shit! That's it.
- 1152. They got through Alpha Company.
- 1153. Anything behind you don't identify
itself, fucking blow it away, okay?
- 1154. Fuck! Two, air strike's coming in.
They're gonna be laying snake and nape.
- 1155. Don't get out of your fucking hole.
Stay right here, man.
- 1156. Fuck.
- 1157. They're probing us.
- 1158. They're gonna be going up and down this
line all night trying to get through.
- 1159. All right. Stay here. Stay cool.
I'll be right back.
- 1160. Whiskey, Foxtrot,
Foxtrot, Echo, Whiskey. Over.
- 1161. Who is it?
- 1162. Don't shoot! Don't shoot!
- 1163. It's the ambush. Over here, man.
- 1164. Fuck it up.
- 1165. Shit. Quiet.
- 1166. They're all over the place.
Hundreds of them, moving this way!
- 1167. They wiped us out, man!
We didn't have a chance!
- 1168. - Where's the CP?
- Back there.
- 1169. You guys, get out of here!
They're right on my ass!
- 1170. They ain't stopping for shit!
- 1171. Hey, Taylor, man, let's didi.
- 1172. You go.
- 1173. There!
- 1174. No. Hold it. Hold it.
- 1175. Out of the hole! Fast!
- 1176. Get out of the fucking hole!
They're gonna blow it!
- 1177. Let's go! Let's go! Francis,
move your fucking ass!
- 1178. They're gonna fucking...
- 1179. - Follow me.
- 1180. Die, you motherfuckers!
- 1181. Get back!
- 1182. It's fucking beautiful!
- 1183. - Let's fucking do it!
- Where are you going?
- 1184. - All right!
- Now come on, motherfuckers!
- 1185. Come on. You can do
better than that!
- 1186. They just keep coming, man!
Fuck this shit!
- 1187. Get back here, you gutless shit!
- 1188. All right. Get me Bravo.
- 1189. Charlie Company reports
hand-to-hand on perimeter, sir.
- 1190. Three holes are down.
They need help.
- 1191. Okay. Get two squads from Alpha
down there right away. Go. Go.
- 1192. Where's that goddamn air strike?
- 1193. Hey, stupid, where
the fuck you going?
- 1194. Eagle Six...
- 1195. Son of a bitch.
- 1196. Can't you get anybody?
- 1197. Damn it! Negative contact!
Can't raise Barnes.
- 1198. Two Bravo, Two Charlie, nothing.
- 1199. Get me Six!
- 1200. Bravo Six! Bravo Six! Oh, God!
- 1201. Get him in!
- 1202. They're coming through all over!
I can't do anything!
- 1203. Where's Barnes?
- 1204. Shit, he's dead! I think
they're all dead.
- 1205. Doc, he's dead. Six, LT, Six.
- 1206. Captain. Captain, we've been overrun.
We're pulling back! Over.
- 1207. God damn it, Lieutenant. Where
are you gonna pull back to?
- 1208. They're all over the perimeter.
- 1209. Now you be advised. You will hold
in place, and you will fight.
- 1210. That means you, Lieutenant.
Bravo Six out.
- 1211. Be advised. We've got zips
in the wire down here.
- 1212. Roger your last, Bravo Six.
Can't run it any closer.
- 1213. We're hot to trot and packing snake
and nape but we're bingo on fuel.
- 1214. For the record, it's my call.
- 1215. Dump everything you've
got left on my pos.
- 1216. I say again, expend all
remaining in my perimeter.
- 1217. It's a lovely fucking war.
Bravo Six out.
- 1218. Roger your last, Bravo Six.
We copy. It's your call.
- 1219. Get them in their holes down there.
Hang tough, Bravo Six.
- 1220. We're coming cocked
- 1221. Barnes!
- 1222. Barnes!
- 1223. No!
- 1224. Get me a medic.
- 1225. Go on, boy!
- 1226. Do it.
- 1227. We got men wounded and
live gooks at 3 o'clock.
- 1228. Look down here.
Check them out.
- 1229. Come on, Elmo. Move
your flea-bitten ass!
- 1230. Hey, you okay? You all right?
- 1231. Can you walk, huh?
- 1232. Hey, Doc, we need a medic up here.
Come on, Elmo.
- 1233. Come on, Doc, we
got wounded here.
- 1234. Yeah. That must have
been some fucking fight.
- 1235. You alone here, man?
- 1236. Yeah.
- 1237. The bunch of fucking
faggots, they all left me.
- 1238. 122 wounded and still counting.
- 1239. Estimate 500 Victor Charlie KIA.
- 1240. 122 and still counting. Over.
- 1241. - Hey, Taylor, that you?
- Hey, Francis.
- 1242. - Hey, man, how you doing?
- I'm okay. How you doing?
- 1243. Fine, man. Just fine.
Hey, dig it.
- 1244. We two timers, man. We're
gonna get out of here, boy.
- 1245. I'm gonna see you in the hospital.
We gonna get high, high. Yes, sir.
- 1246. Sergeant O'Neill.
- 1247. - How you doing?
- Well, I'm just fine, sir.
- 1248. Well, that's good. 'Cause
you got second platoon.
- 1249. Yes, sir.
- 1250. - You ready?
- You bet.
- 1251. I think
now, looking back,
- 1252. we did not fight the enemy.
We fought ourselves.
- 1253. And the enemy was in us.
- 1254. The war is over for me now,
- 1255. but it will always be
there the rest of my days
- 1256. as I'm sure Elias will be,
- 1257. fighting with Barnes for what Rhah
called possession of my soul.
- 1258. There are times since,
- 1259. I've felt like the child
born of those two fathers.
- 1260. But, be that as it may,
- 1261. those of us who did make it
- 1262. have an obligation
to build again,
- 1263. to teach to others what we know,
- 1264. and to try with what's
left of our lives
- 1265. to find a goodness and
meaning to this life.