- 1. The film is based on
"The lunar trilogy"
by Jerzy Zulawski
- 2. You will see a film
made ten years ago;
- 3. a shred of a film;
- 4. a two and a half hour story,
one-fifth of which is missing.
- 5. That one-fifth dating back
- 6. when the film was annihilated,
will never be recreated.
- 7. In place of the missing scenes
- 8. you will hear a voice which will
briefly explain what was to be.
- 9. We are bringing
"On the Silver Globe"
- 10. to an end in the year 1987.
- 11. It fell from the clouds...
- 12. From on high...
- 13. They were close...
- 14. They hunted...
- 15. They found in the morning...
- 16. It fluttered... Beautiful...
- 17. He travelled for two days...
- 18. Across the snow... Tired...
- 19. He thought: For them...
- 20. For sure.
- 21. What is it?
- 22. He says they saw it fall...
- 23. They couldn't have seen...
- 24. Maybe they saw a star...
- 25. It is an ancient object.
It couldn't have fallen now.
- 26. It could in the past...
- 27. Everybody saw it...
Two days ago...
- 28. At night...
- 29. They found it in the morning...
Only for us...
- 30. It is fifty, sixty years old.
- 31. It's a Small Transmission
- 32. The way it burned indicates
Titanium Beta or the like.
- 33. It used to take off from a pad
on six propulsion nozzles.
- 34. I guess they did not even
teach you about it.
- 35. Why did it fall right now?
- 36. It might have roved to lock in on
a target station,
- 37. but not for fifty years.
- 38. If they are telling the truth.
- 39. They usually don't lie.
- 40. One of the older rigs
should crack it.
- 41. If the brain has not burned up,
- 42. it should tell us where it
comes from and why.
- 43. Tell her not to enter.
- 44. This place is packed with
- 45. It will all run wild.
- 46. Unless she is coming
to see you.
- 47. She is not coming to see you,
she is coming to take you.
- 48. You don't understand.
She is mine.
- 49. No, it's you are theirs.
- 50. Go, dress up warm.
It's freezing outside.
- 51. Later...
- 52. What happens if you run out
of all the chemicals?
- 53. Freedom perhaps.
- 54. They could have killed us
and taken the chemicals,
- 55. or could have stolen them
while we were asleep.
- 56. But they haven't.
We are the ones who give,
- 57. who do not need to take.
- 58. Alien like a tree.
- 59. We must be explored
- 60. Poisoned, approached, swept.
- 61. Are we the last of those
who retain power,
- 62. or the first of those
who are defenceless?
- 63. Under the hatchway into which
two astronauts enter
- 64. there is a laboratory.
- 65. A huge room filled
- 66. listening to the sounds
from outer space.
- 67. Only one of the oldest
- 68. which has remained idle
- 69. can read out what is inside
- 70. which the astronauts got
from a rider.
- 71. It is a diary, or rather a series
of semitransparent plates
- 72. featuring scenes as if
taken with a camera.
- 73. The opening plates show
the flight of a spacecraft -
- 74. the pilots lose control
over the spacecraft
- 75. which crashes in the mountains.
- 76. Only a small fragment of this
- 77. I can see!
- 78. The astronauts clamber out
of the battered cockpit.
- 79. They are amidst mountains and
the atmosphere is unbreathable.
- 80. They leave the dead body
- 81. of the flight commander
O'Tamor near the cockpit.
- 82. They wheel out land rovers
- 83. from their rocket and they
- 84. One of the astronauts, Thomas,
- 85. The other rocket following
- 86. crashes in the mountains
- 87. Were those who died in it, the
Remogners, pursuers or friends?
- 88. This planet is an ideal
image of Earth.
- 89. That is why it has been chosen
for the beginning of new life.
- 90. But the land rovers heading
for the sea
- 91. run across a huge heap of debris
- 92. reminiscent of some
- 93. as if a civilization existed
here in the past.
- 94. While they are near the ruins,
- 95. Thomas's temperature goes up
and he becomes delirious.
- 96. He's seeing phantoms:
The dead astronauts,
- 97. O'Tamor and the Remogners are
- 98. coming to capture him.
- 99. O'Tamor defends him.
The Remogners want to chain him.
- 100. Come on!
- 101. O'Tamor was right.
We can breathe.
- 102. We shall live...
- 103. Wait!
- 104. Do you remember a man being born?
- 105. The father endows him with
seeds of every possibility.
- 106. What every man nurtures in him
- 107. will watch it grow in him
and bring him fruits.
- 108. If it is vegetal, he will be a plant;
- 109. if it is sensual,
he will be an animal;
- 110. if it is rational,
his being will become divine;
- 111. finally if it is intellectual,
- 112. he will be an angel or
the son of man.
- 113. Maybe the time is to say that
the Republic is in real danger,
- 114. that we are cowards who have
to defend courage,
- 115. sex, consciousness,
carnal beauty, quest of love.
- 116. Winning that may become a heroic
destiny after all.
- 117. But to utter these words is
to demonstrate how sad we are,
- 118. because the strongest believers
- 119. have spent their years on
talking about fear,
- 120. impotence, stupidity, ugliness,
self-love and apathy...
- 121. although we have thus attempted
- 122. to take an austere view
of this reality
- 123. may depend on a decent life,
- 124. our work,
- 125. our honor
- 126. which permits us to express
- 127. than what we ourselves
- 128. It was...
- 129. I did not hear your answers.
- 130. I don't believe that any
signal could penetrate
- 131. the radiation belt enveloping
- 132. While falling,
they flashed across a plain.
- 133. - Don't pull!
- The wave returned and we caught it.
- 134. They stood over me...
- 135. O'Tamor was walking dead...
To take me along...
- 136. Maybe what gets reflected
- 137. is not only an
- 138. but also bions making up
the image of the dead...
- 139. - Don't pull!
- You are delirious!
- 140. I know that whatever
- 141. must carry at least a grain of truth
- 142. just because you are capable
of saying it.
- 143. Put him down!
- 144. Don't forget what we escaped,
- 145. just to repeat with impunity
what we believe in.
- 146. Don't forget.
- 147. Whatever you say is the truth,
- 148. unless you say it...
- 149. to impose your will upon us.
- 150. I don't believe in anything.
- 151. If you say it,
you look into yourself.
- 152. You are not blind.
- 153. That is why you are
here with us running away.
- 154. Yes, you are dying, brother.
- 155. After all, there is truth
in everything I say,
- 156. if I am capable of expressing it.
- 157. Freedom exists and is lying
- 158. It turns away from the
lust of darkness
- 159. to lean towards the lust
- 160. It embraces light with its
- 161. And darkness strives to capture
the light of freedom,
- 162. but it cannot do that,
- 163. because it is centered on
its own lust...
- 164. and turns to darkness again.
- 165. The wind rises.
The night is falling.
- 166. The drizzle turns
into a downpour
- 167. and the downpour escalates
into a hurricane.
- 168. Thomas is dying.
- 169. Before he dies, Martha implores
to be left alone with him.
- 170. She loves him.
She clings to him.
- 171. She protects him with her body.
- 172. The nearby river is rising
and breaks its banks.
- 173. It's a flood.
- 174. Martha!
- 175. We have to be moving.
We cannot survive here.
- 176. No chance, until we reach the
seashore where we were to land.
- 177. Come on.
- 178. No, no!
- 179. You are sick.
You'll have to be carried.
- 180. Turn it off, I am telling you,
turn it off, you silly.
- 181. The sea!
- 182. I see the sea!
- 183. George,
- 184. Thomas is growing up faster
than he would on Earth.
- 185. At the age of six months,
he is of the height
of a one year old baby.
- 186. George, can it be that we will die
out and he will be left alone?
- 187. Listen, Martha,
- 188. it is a rainy season.
It will keep raining.
- 189. Six months of waiting
is a long time,
- 190. you may perish, we may perish,
- 191. and then...
- 192. Martha, am I right?
- 193. Martha, am I right?
- 194. Yes.
- 195. I've taken the cameras of
Martha and Peter.
- 196. They no longer bother to record
what is happening to us.
- 197. I have fused their memories
into one, mine.
- 198. I erase irrelevant pieces.
I keep the gist.
- 199. Only this recording makes
sense to me.
- 200. I must be careful.
- 201. It costs them so much.
- 202. It costs me so little.
- 203. Nothing at all.
- 204. I don't demand anything.
I don't believe in anything.
- 205. I believe only in perfect freedom,
- 206. Peter says that long,
- 207. I could be a monk,
- 208. because I am not yet a man,
but I am already old.
- 209. If one is to forget why we
- 210. one is like this.
- 211. For it is not us that are lost
in contemplation of the world.
- 212. It is the world that is lost
in our contemplation.
- 213. Oh, Earth!
- 214. You don't wish to learn
with me, Tom?
- 215. I can breathe without this.
- 216. What is Earth really like?
- 217. What is it, old man?
- 218. Earth is what I feel for you.
- 219. You are alive.
My father died.
- 220. Martha, talk to me,
- 221. Martha, say something!
- 222. Yes.
- 223. Martha, keep silent.
- 224. Martha, laugh.
- 225. Martha, cry.
- 226. Martha, dance,
- 227. dance!
- 228. Martha, dance,
- 229. dance!
- 230. You can think only if
- 231. There is no thought
- 232. Only the one who has faith
- 233. Thus one must want to know faith.
- 234. You can believe only if you
- 235. Only the one can believe who
has roots of his own.
- 236. Thus one must want to know
- 237. You can have your roots
only if you act.
- 238. The one who acts has roots.
- 239. Thus one must want to know action.
- 240. Here, everything is as
- 241. The same chaos,
the same absence of truth.
- 242. - The same lie.
- You love her.
- 243. To love is to want to be absorbed
entirely by somebody.
- 244. To love is to feel entirely
responsible for somebody.
- 245. You can also take lasciviously,
- 246. In that case,
this word carries no meaning.
- 247. It turns into evil and hate.
- 248. But we have arrived here
in order not to hate anybody.
- 249. How can you be so happy here,
- 250. - you who have nothing here.
- I have you.
- 251. You have us,
you have what we have,
- 252. which means nothing.
- 253. George,
- 254. you don't even defend yourself.
- 255. Oh Earth!
- 256. Peter!
- 257. Peter!
- 258. Peter!
- 259. I found him here.
- 260. One day when the Angel of Death
came to Solomon
- 261. he looked at one of his
- 262. "Who is that?" the courtier asked.
- 263. "The Angel of Death",
- 264. "It seems he has looked at me.
- 265. So tell the wind to take me from
here and carry me to India".
- 266. And Solomon did it.
- 267. Then the Angel of Death said:
- 268. "I was looking at him for such
a long time, because I wondered.
- 269. For I ordered him to deliver
his soul from India.
- 270. Meanwhile he is here at your side,
in your court.
- 271. It is true!"
- 272. I will have your baby.
- 273. It will be my last baby.
- 274. Say nothing for a while.
- 275. I want to be at peace with
myself this time.
- 276. Help me.
- 277. So far you haven't let me paint you.
Can I do it now?
- 278. You could have killed him.
- 279. The moment he wanted to be with
me alone for the first time.
- 280. A girl...
- 281. I see them...
- 282. All...
- 283. Yes, like everything...
- 284. Not exactly...
- 285. I did not understand, either.
- 286. But it's dark here.
- 287. You are back.
- 288. And the Mother?
- 289. Mother is dead? Will you die too?
- 290. Yes.
- 291. - Like Mother?
- 292. yes.
- 293. Still, I will say it.
- 294. I, a free man,
- 295. an unimpassioned man,
- 296. I am wounded,
wounded like an animal.
- 297. I suffer like an animal,
- 298. What I brought along with
me was chaos.
- 299. Any order, any cheerfulness,
clarity, tranquility have gone.
- 300. As if with her death a nightmare
has come without dreaming,
- 301. a dream without wake,
a wake without sense.
- 302. I was taught that the eye
of the world
- 303. which is watching me
- 304. is the same eye with which
I am watching the world.
- 305. This eye is neither cheerful
- 306. neither feeling nor expectant.
- 307. It is indifferent like water.
- 308. I will stay with it for
as long as I can.
- 309. I will go to the mountains,
- 310. looking for metal ores which
they will use.
- 311. I will be thinking.
- 312. I'll be thinking.
- 313. I will feel melted in you,
- 314. oh rock,
- 315. oh grass...
- 316. I will feel.
- 317. I will feel in me your
- 318. Complete cool.
- 319. I am nobody.
- 320. I have despised the belligerents.
- 321. Now I,
I myself deserve contempt,
- 322. because I am fighting
- 323. There is suffering, but there is no
subject of suffering.
- 324. There is action, but there is no
subject of action.
- 325. There is solace, but there is no
man to reach it.
- 326. There is a road, but there is no
one to follow it.
- 327. You are back again, Old Man.
- 328. Please,
- 329. - go on dancing.
- You are back again!
- 330. I am Ada, Martha's last daughter.
- 331. Why would you never die?
- 332. Why would you not die?
- 333. Why would you not understand what
you yourself have given to us?
- 334. Why are you not in what exists?
- 335. Why are you elsewhere,
where nothing exists?
- 336. Nothing!
- 337. And then fertile mother
- 338. begot a thunder with the Moon
- 339. And she indulged in pleasure to
have him stronger than Thomas.
- 340. And so she returned swept by
the flood and begot fishes,
- 341. and animals in forests...
- 342. And Peter gave us places to settle
and reason and the bow...
- 343. Being here you told us always
- 344. Why don't you ever say anything?
- 345. Oh Earth!
- 346. Earth!
- 347. The Old Man said:
- 348. Oh! Earth!
- 349. I want to record myself
- 350. No, no!
- 351. Come you,
who are poised motionless,
- 352. but who are getting closer
to me every hour.
- 353. She feels the fire.
- 354. She serves the fire.
- 355. She gives herself to me,
- 356. because I control the fire...
- 357. I am consecrated to you,
who have arrived.
- 358. I could marry him.
They are afraid of me and him,
- 359. because I play Martha,
and you and the rain.
- 360. Love me.
- 361. I love everything.
- 362. Say something!
- 363. Say something!
- 364. Say something!
- 365. I curse you
- 366. in the name of the Old Man.
- 367. Say something!
- 368. - Say something!
- Kill. Kill him.
- 369. The Old Man is praying
- 370. Something he wanted to draw,
for he has forgotten writing.
- 371. Maybe evil?
- 372. Evil.
- 373. Forgive me.
- 374. Don't look at me in this picture,
- 375. in this garb,
in this degradation.
- 376. You would not look for me,
- 377. had you not found me!
- 378. Record it carefully,
- 379. for you are recording
- 380. Did you feel the same fear
on Earth, George?
- 381. - That's the source of the advent?
- 382. - Will you go back there?
- Nobody returns nowhere,
- 383. I told you many times.
- 384. You do not have to say the
truth to the end.
- 385. You are the Old Man.
But tell me how you know all that?
- 386. Because eternity
- 387. is the state of simultaneous
possession of everything, Ada.
- 388. I am Thomas II,
the son of Old Thomas.
- 389. Thomas the third.
- 390. I don't understand when you
speak like this.
- 391. Nobody understands you,
not even Ada.
- 392. We are afraid to see your
face for too long.
- 393. I cannot oppose you,
Thomas the third.
- 394. This place is ever more stuffy,
impatient and wistful.
- 395. Because you are the Old Man.
- 396. Bless me, Old Man.
- 397. How?
- 398. Old Thomas was sluggish.
- 399. He did not try to enlarge
the country where we live.
- 400. He did not want to know
what is beyond and beyond,
- 401. as if he was afraid...
- 402. Tomorrow the sea will be quiet
- 403. and we are crossing to the
- 404. There, on the other side,
something is looming on bright days.
- 405. What if there is no other side?
- 406. There must be.
- 407. You are right.
- 408. It is I who always forget
that I know everything,
- 409. but I don't understand anything.
- 410. - Do you want to see Martha?
- I don't need to.
- 411. I believe
- 412. that mother Martha
had created all parts of the world,
- 413. and we must explore them,
because they are for us.
- 414. What are you doing here, Ada?
- 415. Be angry with me, Old Man.
- 416. Child, child,
you are not listening to me.
- 417. I know, I know.
You cannot say everything.
- 418. You will go back there.
- 419. Stop raving.
- 420. - You are my daughter.
- We all are your children
- 421. and you showed us what is good
and what is bad.
- 422. Tell me why we were expelled
- 423. I,
- 424. I am beautiful.
- 425. I, I am young.
- 426. I can do what nobody can do.
- 427. May the blessing of the humans
be with you.
- 428. Give it.
- 429. Enough.
- 430. Only the shreds of memory
- 431. On the other side,
- 432. we found it.
- 433. There are huge settlements,
- 434. a city like a beehive...
- 435. Everybody perished.
- 436. Monsters...
- 437. They have wings...
- 438. One central eye...
- 439. They are flying, flying after me...
- 440. To destroy,
- 441. destroy the humans...
- 442. They are carrying death...
- 443. Master, Master!
- 444. Master.
- 445. It's the wind?
- 446. Master... Master...
- 447. I am better than you
- 448. and that is why I will be
able to play you.
- 449. Earth,
- 450. Earth,
- 451. Earth, Earth.
- 452. Oh Earth! Oh Earth!
- 453. People, rejoice!
- 454. The Old Man is leaving.
- 455. People!
- 456. Is it allowed to take one's
own daughter to bed?
- 457. If a brother takes the property
of his brother,
- 458. should his hand be cut off?
- 459. Should the dead be given food
every day, or only on holiday?
- 460. Is the birth of a baby a holiday,
even if the baby is blind?
- 461. I don't know,
- 462. I don't know.
- 463. - Don't I know anything!
- No, she is not ill.
- 464. She is the victory of desire
- 465. And the sick one, the sick one
is the one who is playing.
- 466. The actor is sick, because he is
looking for you in himself.
- 467. And he is ugly,
although he can see and feel.
- 468. So he will not be loved.
So he wrings his face
- 469. and he is like a bad mirror
- 470. The actor is the victory
- 471. over the beauty of the world.
- 472. Do you hear?
- 473. Do you hear? Do you hear?
- 474. They are flying,
- 475. flying, flying,
- 476. coming!
- 477. Come,
- 478. you bloodthirsty God!
- 479. Alone, in his bizarre suit of
- 480. George has reached the rocket
which crashed in the mountains
- 481. O'Tamor's body is still lying there,
as if nothing has happened.
- 482. With his last effort,
George finds the container
- 483. in which he will put the report
that he has recorded
- 484. on what happened to him,
to them, to the people here.
- 485. He will aim the mini-rocket
- 486. Before he blasts it off,
- 487. before he deposits in it the
last memory plate,
- 488. he is recording his face on it.
- 489. In the tunnel where the two
astronauts have watched
- 490. the screens flicker out,
and silence sets in.
- 491. "It must be dispatched to
the Old Earth"
- 492. the senior astronaut says.
- 493. He glances at the junior one
who is sitting tense,
- 494. "Let's go back to them, home,"
says the junior one,
- 495. "let us rejoice with them, dance,
celebrate that we are alive".
- 496. "Why are you crying?",
- 497. "Because I don't know who I am".
- 498. He silently opens the hatchway
above their heads.
- 499. Wind sneaks into
the tunnel passage
- 500. and a girl sneaks in with
- 501. She is the same girl
who died with Thomas
- 502. the second on the seashore.
- 503. So she is not the same, but she
is always resembling herself.
- 504. Following her into the
tunnel come warriors,
- 505. stringing their bows.
- 506. Many years after,
a new spacecraft is arriving
- 507. at the same spot where
George's rocket crashed.
- 508. It is more advanced and it
is landing softly.
- 509. One man, Mark gets off
- 510. He speaks to the microphones
- 511. lens mounted on the rocket's
- 512. "All is as in the retrieved
memo package. "
- 513. He glances at George's
- 514. "They are beautiful, he says,
- 515. "a little funny, old-fashioned.
- 516. I am coming down to a rendezvous
with people. "
- 517. There is a crackling noise
in his headphones.
- 518. "How am I doing?", Mark replies,
"I am fine.
- 519. Not to be with you, believe
that you do not exist? Good idea!
- 520. May it not hurt. Kisses for Aza".
- 521. He breaks off the connection.
- 522. Mark is descending from
- 523. At the mountains' feet,
- 524. where breathing is possible
a crowd is swarming.
- 525. They are monks,
- 526. for generations gazing at
- 527. where George has gone and where
from Mark is descending now.
- 528. They have been waiting
- 529. because the prophecy says that
in due time a new,
- 530. young God will come,
- 531. the one who will liberate
the people from the terror
- 532. of the hideous evil big birds
called the Sherns,
- 533. the inconceivable
and cruel monsters
- 534. which flew from across the sea
and turned the people into slaves.
- 535. "Come on, I am not a Savior"
- Mark laughs-
- 536. "I am human like you."
- 537. The father superior
- 538. "Because you want it this way".
- 539. It is not the faith of
these downgraded people
that enraptures Mark,
- 540. but the uprising which breaks
out at the news of his arrival.
- 541. The Sherns' army
- 542. are half-human creatures which
the Sherns beget with women.
- 543. They are called Morques.
- 544. They are beastly, strong
- 545. They put up stiff resistance.
- 546. The last of the battles
takes places on the seashore
- 547. where a human settlement
is huddled under the ground
- 548. and where the high-priest
- 549. Where is the high-priest?
Where is Malahuda?
- 550. We come to pay tribute...
In the lead of the uprising...
- 551. - And check... If this is the victor...
- 552. if, if...
- 553. Grab him, bind him up,
- 554. I should have killed you.
- 555. They mustn't see you
- 556. Hurry!
- 557. We shall find the high traitor who
has not come to meet half way.
- 558. The father of your fiancee,
- 559. whom you will fall in love with,
because she is your destiny.
- 560. - Begone!
- Then we will see who was right,
- 561. the one who for centuries
had waited in the mountains,
- 562. or the one who had humbled
himself and served!
- 563. Get out!
- 564. Nor did I realize what I was
or what I could learn with ease.
- 565. What remained was the ease
- 566. of using
my own intelligence
- 567. which was searching out an
- 568. while I was still an adolescent.
- 569. The most stupid thing is to fail to
understand one's own charm.
- 570. - Who are you?
- We are actors, sir, saints.
- 571. We must not take part in battles
nor die with people...
- 572. nor cross the thresholds.
We serve, sir.
- 573. You are human.
- 574. It's good.
I can play you.
- 575. Why are you crying, child?
- 576. Our underground state, sir...
- 577. where we have gathered for
centuries to celebrate
the promise of your coming.
- 578. Sects were established here
of suicides and flagellants...
- 579. poets and iconoclasts...
Here the monks wrote prophesies.
- 580. Up there was the abyss of darkness,
so dark as the soul of man...
- 581. For the soul of man accepts the Shern,
justifies his actions...
- 582. talks to him as if it was
- 583. This is your church, sir...
- 584. Sir, they are moving out!
- 585. But they are ridiculous.
- 586. Defenceless.
- 587. A defenceless is strong,
- 588. good is bad,
beautiful - in worms.
- 589. Is that all, the end?
- 590. The Shern Aviya has not
been caught, sir.
- 591. Now reinforcements will fly
from across the sea.
- 592. Mark visits the high-priest
- 593. who hands over power and tells
him about his daughter lhezal
- 594. consecrated to the victor
and the cult of the Old Man.
- 595. The young warrior Yeret is in
love with lhezal.
- 596. "It was me who talked to
- 597. begging them to reduce the
size of tribute.
- 598. I bargained for human lives
- 599. and I tried hard to grasp
the meaning of lawlessness,
- 600. the absurdity of their way
of life" says Malahuda.
- 601. He is tired. " The faith is coming
to an end" - he says -
- 602. "since you have come.
Now reality is beginning".
- 603. I am alone.
- 604. A prince in the middle of an icy
room built in icy space.
- 605. I carry my own space in me.
- 606. I am carrying it to an absurd
country at an absurd time.
- 607. As if the entire world,
the big one and the one inside me
- 608. merged into a hateful vision
of their bodies
- 609. looking for
meaning in one another,
- 610. the meaning which the bodies
- 611. Do not look there, sir.
- 612. The Sherns caught children.
They did to them...
- 613. Their mothers said
- 614. that the Sherns wanted to see
a demon inside a human being,
- 615. - to see how the soul leaves the body...
- And you put up with that?
- 616. There is no way to understand
- 617. The Morques say that their nearness
is poetic nearness.
- 618. But it stinks here!
- 619. Don't laugh, sir.
- 620. The Sherns have each an eye
in the centre
- 621. of their foreheads and they
speak with that eye.
- 622. Keeping silent, they speak,
- 623. they say that this is
- 624. We are defective,
- 625. We cannot direct the evil
- 626. - nor the force.
- They are killing you.
- 627. Perfunctorily.
- 628. You won't understand
why they let some live,
- 629. while exterminating others.
- 630. - Didn't you negotiate with them?
- They don't negotiate, sir.
- 631. Until they realized that they
could take women,
- 632. they had swarmed this place.
At that time they still could fly.
- 633. Now they are lying around,
- 634. They play with that eye
of theirs. We can feel it.
- 635. Across the thickest walls
we feel anxiety.
- 636. - Then we see everything.
- 637. Nothing! Nothing!
- 638. Nothing, sir. There is a sect
of scientist who claim
- 639. that they are not there,
- 640. that they are only
a reflection of ourselves
- 641. called out from the dark.
- 642. They are what?
- 643. I don't know.
- 644. - Do you believe them?
- No, sir.
- 645. And do you believe in me?
- 646. Who are you?
- 647. A man.
- 648. Hours of lead.
- 649. Nights of lead.
- 650. Lead in the heart.
The heartache turned into lead.
- 651. Thoughts of lead, of nothing, of lead.
- 652. The lead cancer eating my body,
fluid as an amoeba.
- 653. An amoeba in my selfishness,
- 654. in its right to search out the
places of greater delight.
- 655. She's playing a woman sir,
the one you had left to come here.
- 656. What?
- 657. You did leave her, sir.
- 658. - The one you had left to come here.
- How do you know?
- 659. It's in the prophecy.
- 660. - Don't remember!
- 661. The high-priest's daughter, sir.
She is asking you not to return.
- 662. - Where?
- To Earth, sir.
- 663. Fear the signs of fornication,
the signs of decay,
- 664. the rotten signs of blindness on
the fallen body of a woman...
- 665. Don't fear what is, because there
is only what you do not feel.
- 666. It is terrible to be caught in the
hands of the living God!
- 667. Aza!
- 668. - And thus I shall be called, sir.
- 669. Aza!
- 670. I want to go up the mountain
and be left alone,
- 671. without you.
- 672. I knew you would come.
- 673. If you are an intelligent being,
as they say, you are curious.
- 674. You think: Who is that man?
Where is he from?
- 675. I saved your life.
I did not denounce you.
- 676. They would have beaten you
dead and I would not have
- 677. Maybe you will talk to
- 678. After all I will comprehend
who you are.
- 679. I hear.
- 680. I am trying to understand.
- 681. You are me. I am you.
- 682. Everything is identical.
- 683. Even when I think I am talking
to myself, I am talking to you.
- 684. Even when I think I am talking
to God, I am talking to you.
- 685. You are the gateway,
you are the tunnel way,
- 686. you are the light of the
- 687. This is bullshit.
- 688. How? How?
- 689. What with?
- 690. What is this? I don't know this notion.
I don't know this.
- 691. I don't comprehend this.
- 692. That we are brothers...
that we together...
- 693. You have changed the track
- 694. You've been only a step away.
I have been...
- 695. Now I see only flashes...
- 696. You say... No...
- 697. Light...
- 698. Why do you repeat...
- 699. why death.
- 700. Why resurrection.
- 701. Come back!
- 702. You are the survival,
because you are not closed,
- 703. because you resolve in
your power the time
- 704. and the air and the contradiction
that we are, the animals.
- 705. I am an animal among
the animals. A wolf in the forest.
- 706. The one who has devoured all
is the only one.
- 707. Only he endures.
Those he has devoured are meagre.
- 708. One must bleed them
- 709. to get the nightmare
off the chest
- 710. and to have cold return to
the realm of cold.
- 711. Excellent, excellent.
- 712. How do you know?
Why do you repeat her name?
- 713. Aza!
- 714. Aza!
- 715. What does she hold against me?
That she had succumbed to me,
- 716. while I have never entirely
succumbed to her?
- 717. When am I entire?
- 718. I, in whom an eternal battle
of darkness fights.
- 719. You, come here!
- 720. Aviy!
- 721. Oh Martha! People!
- 722. The Victor!
- 723. Keep on talking to me...
- 724. damn you!
- 725. Leave it!
- 726. - Chain him. I will talk to him!
- Were you alone in a Shern's company?
- 727. - She caught him.
- Maybe the signs will appear on her!
- 728. - Enough! I give the orders here!
- Sir, the law says that such woman...
- 729. I am the law here.
- 730. I take her in my care.
She is mine.
- 731. I didn't know what bliss is.
- 732. I don't know how it is not to
take responsibility for oneself.
- 733. Everything here is yours,
sir, you liberate.
- 734. How do you feel facing the
- 735. I shall serve him with all
might until doom.
- 736. The Victor is unjust...
- 737. You are standing over the
- 738. Let the good be good,
- 739. even suffering...
- 740. Yes, yes, yes.
- 741. I am tired,
- 742. - Hush!
- 743. Listen.
- 744. You've taken me.
I am yours.
- 745. I would be consecrated to you
even if you did not come.
- 746. Then everybody would take me.
- 747. I would be a woman of the temple
- 748. and the children that I would bear
would be killed.
- 749. I accept everything you do.
I am you.
- 750. I am what you are.
- 751. - Do you love Yeret?
- I love you. Nobody.
- 752. I came here out of the frailty
of the heart.
- 753. I was betrayed by a woman I loved,
the only one for whom...
- 754. for whom nothing seem to
- 755. Such is the power others
have over us.
- 756. What have I?
Who have I... What am I?
- 757. One blow with a knife was
enough for a dark balloon
to break loose
- 758. and begin to drift away
and the traveller
- 759. who thus far has built for him
a cocoon out of air alone,
- 760. saw the dark of the night
and began to scream:
- 761. I am in the prison of my
- 762. in the hell of the one who
- 763. I can afford to love you
and that woman.
- 764. Be.
- 765. Don't think!
- 766. It will not hurt me!
- 767. And yet I am alive!
- 768. You must not tell anybody
what happened here.
- 769. Yes.
- 770. - I was mindless.
- If you wish, sir.
- 771. - I am weak.
- 772. I am a man...
- 773. from Earth.
- 774. I am the one who has taken
you inside me.
- 775. You are of two minds, sir.
- 776. You have not finished your work,
and you hesitate whether to go back.
- 777. I know who you want to
talk to, sir.
- 778. My father,
to have him off your way
- 779. and to Shern Swiny because
he opposes you.
- 780. Do you feel disgraced?
- 781. I love you, sir,
as nobody ever will.
- 782. one who has arrived from There,
from the depth of faith.
- 783. From beyond life, from beyond
death and resurrection:
- 784. The Old Man. From today the
absence of this faith
- 785. will be punished with all
- 786. Worthless are those who
do not believe... The faithful...
- 787. Now either a retaliation
by the Sherns...
- 788. or our fire across the sea...
- 789. May the white Shern hands never
take our women away.
- 790. To arms, you faithful!
- 791. To the troops of Yeret!
To the troops!
- 792. I am sure that you understand...
- 793. Yesterday was the night,
the heat of battle.
Today it is different.
- 794. I have come to ask you...
- 795. They are getting ready to
cross the sea.
- 796. However cruel and inhuman
- 797. there must be some truth in you,
- 798. I'd like to talk to you...
They tell me about your crimes.
- 799. I don't know...
- 800. Tell me
- 801. if we reflect the transformation of
the visible into the invisible?
- 802. I believed that any extremes of
faith and illusion
- 803. were equally unjustified
- 804. and that in the depth of everybody,
there is goodness.
- 805. Everything is truth.
- 806. There is a grain of truth
in everything what exists...
- 807. I am to do what I like...
- 808. You are saying it with
- 809. I can feel your hatred,
- 810. Across the sea, the city
is beautiful, sweet and rich.
- 811. I am not asking you about it.
I am asking you this:
- 812. You said that everything
has a name,
- 813. an ulterior principle.
What is the answer.
- 814. Where is the place
- 815. where everything unites
and becomes one. Does it become?
- 816. Keep on talking.
- 817. I don't understand a word.
I feel fear. Chaos. Darkness.
- 818. I can hear. It's the motion of water.
No, of the night,
- 819. no, it's the motion of the motion,
the motion of the will.
- 820. What do you want to say?
- 821. Irrationality. Slavery.
- 822. A kind of ritual human murders
as the objective?
- 823. Cruelty as a virtue?
Inertia of the totality.
- 824. Then why do you spit on me?
- 825. You give me nothing but contempt
- 826. and contempt
can take you nowhere.
- 827. I can hear...
its power over me is infinite.
- 828. Whose power?
- 829. You are an animal.
- 830. - You are an animal and yourself.
- So you talk!
- 831. No, it's you hear...
- 832. - So why are you talking?
- Because you give me food.
- 833. So, do you want to live?
- 834. I don't know. What do you think?
Am I alive?
- 835. You are an animal...
So you are alive...
- 836. Is it only the animal in you
that is alive?
- 837. What about that which lives
through the animal?
- 838. I, I don't understand.
- 839. You are an animal and so am I.
- 840. I am consistent.
You are not.
- 841. I am a reflection of what
is in you.
- 842. You are not a reflection
of what is in me.
- 843. I want to know one thing only.
Earth, the planet you come from.
- 844. - What is it?
- A Star, you see? A star.
- 845. I forgot.
- 846. Their conceit, rush to death,
- 847. my death,
for I see myself in them.
- 848. The image of her in the ecstasy
of love... impaled on him,
- 849. screaming. You say... within.
To get inside.
- 850. To exerete. The same.
Infinity is within.
- 851. I don't love.
Loving is inward...
- 852. Not a person, not things,
- 853. By loving everything, you are everything
and you are unconcerned.
- 854. You come in contact with the
existence of truth,
- 855. with the name of animality
without which you would not be...
- 856. Oh, I see. Beyond words.
- 857. they signify nothing.
- 858. I yearn for this pain...
- 859. Now I feel melted.
- 860. Water! I feel your non-human
transparence. Total cool...
- 861. I am a nobody.
- 862. I have always been a nobody.
- 863. I hated and despised the
- 864. Now I, I am the most despicable.
- 865. Because I have come to terms
- 866. I will not change anything
in the world.
- 867. My illusion is not even a ripple on
the world's cool, metallic surface.
- 868. I can see...
It is an ocean.
- 869. You are showing its beauty to me.
- 870. Speak slower,
- 871. speak slower!
- 872. It is opening.
- 873. Slower. I am in the doorway.
- 874. Slower, it hurts.
- 875. So much beauty it hurts.
- 876. I was taught to be intelligent,
- 877. to conquer...
I have no feelings.
- 878. Who? How?
- 879. What am I to do?
- 880. Unbind myself...
These irons break your wings...
- 881. Worms are eating your skin...
You are beautiful... You are divine...
- 882. I love you. Master...
I want to vanish in your wisdom.
- 883. He wants to take you!
- 884. It's God!
- 885. You hear something which does
not exist at all...
- 886. He doesn't say anything you
- 887. - I can hear this!
- This God is in you, God!
- 888. How... How do you know this?
- 889. I am playing it... I know it.
- 890. I can feel birth and death,
truth and untruth of everything.
- 891. She lied and committed adultery
there for months.
- 892. You are only beginning to
learn about others.
- 893. You are only beginning to perceive...
- 894. The only important things is
what you demand from yourself.
- 895. You are too wise for me.
- 896. He is speaking to you...
- 897. I can feel it from the anxiety
- 898. He is laughing at you...
He is saying...
- 899. saying that you have never
taken and you will not take
- 900. because you are dry and dead...
and you are not alive at all,
- 901. because you are an object
created by objects,
- 902. and you don't know the name
nor the meaning...
- 903. Neither you know anything
- 904. - a blind man... a weakling.
- No... no!
- 905. Take him!
- 906. I've been learning...
- 907. for many years. You know, victor,
- 908. constrained by my duties
- 909. on sleepless
and doubt-ridden nights
- 910. I thought that as I would be
going and learning,
- 911. I would turn inside out my
whole life like a glove.
- 912. Oh... Oh...!
- 913. Look!
- 914. I always thought there were
- 915. As if playing this what we play
- 916. did not give me any satisfaction.
Now I have it.
- 917. - Tell me how...! What am I to do?
- You know well,
- 918. certainly you do,
if you took my daughter
- 919. and made her a woman.
- 920. The Sherns.
What do you know?
- 921. You cannot beat the Shern in you.
- 922. Victor, you have probably
experienced it yourself.
- 923. If you could not beat one,
- 924. how are you going to beat
- 925. As you see, I am playing
- 926. and making room for you.
- 927. You are to act.
- 928. The hope will return when
you are gone.
- 929. - What is hope?
- Hope is...
- 930. the faith in materializing
the form with oneself.
- 931. Groping in the dark.
- 932. I am yearning.
- 933. Everything endures.
- 934. I increasingly think about
closing my eyes
- 935. and abstaining from everything.
- 936. I, an eunuch in the landscape
- 937. Sir, we'll cross the sea.
- 938. I gave you gunpowder, ammunition.
You can go by yourselves.
- 939. But sir,
it is you who they worship,
- 940. in whom they believe,
for whom they are waiting.
- 941. - I'll give her back to you.
- You need a woman, sir.
- 942. Why does a Shern carry in him
the riddle of chaotic behaviour.
- 943. Why does evil act selectively and
why is its methodicalness absurd?
- 944. Although it is only what
I can think,
- 945. understand or utter,
the most absurd,
- 946. the most cruel thing I can afford.
- 947. What about courage?
- 948. We come to inquire about your
- 949. The designs are laid down in
- 950. It's long-past knowledge.
Why are you asking?
- 951. Sir, you must appear before
the people in all ceremony.
- 952. The unclear rumor has spread in the
town that the sea did not come apart
- 953. when you looked at it.
Sir, it's necessary to levy taxes.
- 954. We need metal,
- 955. saltpetre,
- 956. manpower.
- 957. You have decided, sir.
- 958. People of low faith.
Can it be otherwise?
- 959. Am I not right, gentle?
- 960. You have all knowledge, sir.
- 961. World!
- 962. What have I done not to
- 963. - Are you satisfied?
- Sir, we are absorbing you.
- 964. You are in us like marrow
in the bones,
- 965. - What did you say?
- Like the cause in existence.
- 966. Nothing, nothing, sir.
You let us rejoice.
- 967. They are playing... That at first
the Shern out of vanity
- 968. created the world which
seemed ideal for him.
- 969. But when he looked up,
- 970. he saw the light which he did
not create himself.
- 971. Then he returned to his homeland.
And then his masculine creative power
- 972. turned into the feminine
- 973. Oh, sir, how hard I am trying!
- 974. Gentle Malahuda, her father,
- 975. is seen hanging around
town at nights. He derides you,
- 976. - undermines the faith of the people.
- What does he say?
- 977. That peace will return only
after you are gone...
- 978. I did not come to bring peace,
- 979. - Gentle Rhoda...
- 980. A scholar, sir.
- 981. He improved the weaving plant,
invented the fuel for the flame,
- 982. - measured the length of the roads...
- What does he say?
- 983. He claims there is no Earth,
there has never been the Old Man,
- 984. that everything is silent and empty.
- 985. And that only we exist and
the Sherns who are like animals.
- 986. So where do I come from,
in his opinion?
- 987. He says you are like a worm, sir,
- 988. - that you came up to the surface...
- So why did I come?
- 989. You did not come,
- 990. you were expelled.
- 991. - Where is Yeret?
- Yeret is leading the parade.
- 992. The Morques we have caught will be
slaughtered in your honour, sir.
- 993. You did not tell me that you
have caught somebody.
- 994. - Not somebody, sir, something.
- You don't instruct me, fool.
- 995. Nobody will be killed here
without my consent.
- 996. Well, yours is all knowledge, sir.
- 997. Indeed you are a man.
I recognize your anger.
- 998. I am being carried by the
river of love.
- 999. It may be disgrace, betrayal and pain,
- 1000. but it encompasses good
- 1001. It is good, if it is love.
- 1002. But... after all, the only thought
which sets the thoughts in motion,
- 1003. the only fidelity
which gives a form
- 1004. to something which is the chaos
of churning biology,
- 1005. it's fidelity to the
- 1006. Only it gives the feeling that
the emptiness of this chaos
- 1007. can be spanned with the braces
of one's own making.
- 1008. Certainly... but everything
is of my own making
and so is the understanding
- 1009. that everything is everything,
that it is a well without
echo and bottom.
- 1010. Did you like me?
- 1011. Sir, stand on her.
Give her dignity back.
- 1012. They will kill me!
- 1013. Leave me alone!
- 1014. What?
- 1015. Morques,
- 1016. I don't believe you descend
from your fathers alone...
- 1017. You must have something human
in you after your mothers.
- 1018. I am appealing to what
is human in you.
- 1019. Morques, your lives will be
spared, if you join us,
- 1020. if you go with us.
- 1021. Morques!
- 1022. Mother, mother...
- 1023. chains...
- 1024. child... mother.
- 1025. Kill nothing, you - nothing.
- 1026. Oh Shern.
- 1027. Everything - pain.
Sleep - pain.
- 1028. Day - pain. Fear.
- 1029. Quiet, Shern. I - Shern.
- 1030. When the Shern sings.
I - animal.
- 1031. You - less. You - death.
- 1032. I - the bow. Trees. Grass.
- 1033. I - see - Morque.
You - fear. I - the run.
- 1034. Alone. I go.
- 1035. I far. You near.
You fear - pain.
- 1036. Weight. You - voice.
I - silence.
- 1037. We - go away, perish, float.
- 1038. You - Shern. Let him sing.
- 1039. I see the earth, grass, forest.
- 1040. I feel the warm air over
- 1041. The flight of two grey birds which
I associate with death...
- 1042. It means... I feel fear?
- 1043. Unbind Aviya!
- 1044. Lhezal has just asked to
bring him here.
- 1045. What?
- 1046. Whoever will know the world,
will find a corpse.
- 1047. And who finds a corpse,
- 1048. will have the world not
worthy of him.
- 1049. Elem wants to burn them in pyres.
- 1050. He is right, sir.
- 1051. They already are nothing.
- 1052. A Shern's touch burns
out their sex.
- 1053. When they still speak,
they speak about the delight as great
- 1054. as to be hideous, sir.
The Shern touches in them
- 1055. what is their essence,
- 1056. darkness itself
and he opens it even more,
- 1057. fills it up, clears up.
- 1058. You sound as if you yourself...
- 1059. I know nothing, nothing.
- 1060. What do you want?
- 1061. What am I to do?
How am I to defend myself?
- 1062. I didn't know that there can
be a love so great.
- 1063. On Earth things are different.
- 1064. - Is there day and night?
- 1065. - White and black?
- 1066. - Love and hate?
- There is no killing on Earth.
- 1067. There is killing when there
- 1068. No.
- 1069. What do you feel?
- 1070. Joy and the power of
- 1071. You teach me something which
I did not know.
- 1072. I feel love.
- 1073. But now only my body is
- 1074. The pain that I feel is
- 1075. I can touch it. I also can,
- 1076. oh, new art, tell myself;
turn your thoughts away from her.
- 1077. May she not be present so that
you don't suffer.
- 1078. Thus, through my pain-swollen
- 1079. the soul is shaping up smoothly,
- 1080. and, I would say,
- 1081. The soul does not suffer.
- 1082. I recognize unconcern in it,
like in a warm river.
- 1083. My soul and I identify.
- 1084. She was beautiful and famous?
- 1085. Yes.
- 1086. You never loved her.
- 1087. What is this for?
- 1088. For your going tomorrow.
- 1089. To pay homage to what is and not
to reject anything of what is not.
- 1090. The tangibility of evil
which we see around.
- 1091. The submission to the narrow
- 1092. of one's own sensual passion.
- 1093. The belief in the importance
of those who wield power over us
- 1094. means the creation of evil,
calling evil from the dark,
- 1095. transforming onself into
a killer gland which believes
that everything is its property.
- 1096. Why are you concerned with
a woman, sir?
- 1097. Holiness enters a man as he gains
histeric purity of the visitation.
- 1098. - Visitation of what?
- The Shern,
- 1099. sir.
- 1100. What if the Shern is evil,
while I am God for you.
- 1101. What is greater and more tranquil
- 1102. There will be great heat after
a long night.
- 1103. - It's time to move, victor.
- Guard her, remember, preserve.
- 1104. You feel it?
- 1105. Feel it?
- 1106. Those who have not showed
- 1107. treacherous women...
- 1108. Those who have hidden their
sons from the expedition
- 1109. and those who have not
paid the taxes... I remember you.
- 1110. - What is your name?
- Sevim, sir.
- 1111. - What were you?
- A priest.
- 1112. Will you serve?
- 1113. Against whom, sir?
- 1114. The sea is tranquil and a gentle
breeze is propelling the ships.
- 1115. Before they reach their goal,
they come across a floating tree
- 1116. trunk on which Actor and
scholar Rhoda are drifting,
- 1117. because they have been expelled
for their lack of faith.
- 1118. Scholar is looking at
Mark with contempt.
- 1119. "You do not exist at all"
- he exclaims.
- 1120. - "You have not come at all".
- 1121. "If I die, go in the mountains
and find my rocket.
- 1122. Get in, seal the hatch
and press one button.
- 1123. The red one. "
- 1124. - "Rely on me, sir".
- 1125. - "I will transmit you".
- 1126. "My oxygen helmet
- 1127. is in the monastery of
Expectant Brethren at the
feet of the mountains" - Mark says.
- 1128. "You are sly" - Rhoda replies.
- 1129. "You are leaving me in the
middle of the sea,
- 1130. while you talk about the
- 1131. - "Yes" Mark answers.
"Our odds are the same".
- 1132. Mark!
- 1133. Mark!
- 1134. Do you hear me?
- 1135. Aza!
- 1136. The next step,
- 1137. the next doorstep which I will have
to occupy with all of me
- 1138. is death?
- 1139. - Speak.
- Still nothing.
- 1140. What if I didn't want to ask
you about it?
- 1141. When her truth speaks,
her darkness speaks.
- 1142. And clear is only that which is
being formulated against itself.
- 1143. - Speak.
- Still nothing.
- 1144. What if I didn't want to ask
you about it?
- 1145. There.
- 1146. I must know.
- 1147. There, there...
- 1148. Here,
- 1149. - not there. Here.
- There. I must see.
- 1150. Ultimately, every reduction
- 1151. is the fascism of the soul.
- 1152. It is shrinking instead
- 1153. just as if everything
- 1154. to the judgement that while
living, man does nothing.
- 1155. And only a cripple
- 1156. or a dead man creates.
- 1157. "Master Jack",
- 1158. the porters says, standing at
attention before him.
- 1159. Dressed in the same garb
- 1160. members of the audience are
sitting in a huge dilapidated hall.
- 1161. They are leaning,
their eyes riveted to Aza
- 1162. who is standing and singing in
one brightly-lit end of the hall.
- 1163. The hall acoustics is fine.
- 1164. Aza is singing what the actors
- 1165. About themselves, about their
divine self-love. I, Me, I.
- 1166. Jack shuts his eyes,
- 1167. takes a few steps back,
stumbles and runs out.
- 1168. - What is going on with you?
- A mistake.
- 1169. That quack gave me some
- 1170. No news from Mark?
- 1171. We sent him there to make
our love stronger.
- 1172. - Yes.
- 1173. - Now is ever. Now. Here. Ever!
- Love, love, we make love.
- 1174. In a few months
- 1175. your girlishness, beauty and
youth have disappeared.
- 1176. You have grown old and your
face scares me.
- 1177. For any push to the end brings
matter to the self-explosion,
- 1178. as if beyond a certain barrier
there was a pulp
- 1179. with death at the bottom.
- 1180. Again you are one of many.
- 1181. You are taking part in
- 1182. You exist through your
- 1183. But you don't know that it is not
you who sets the price,
- 1184. the value in this market,
- 1185. that the hand which
fumbles inside you
- 1186. and which cruelly turns your
glands inside out,
- 1187. is the hand of the very principle
of the market,
- 1188. the murderous hand or eye
- 1189. which finds the pleasure
in seeing how the actors,
- 1190. lustful like dogs, are wearing out.
- 1191. Ceiling-high metal office
- 1192. cabinets are standing in
rows in an aisle.
- 1193. The drawers,
- 1194. hundreds of identical drawers
are filled with electron tubes
- 1195. similar to old radio-set valves.
- 1196. All tubes are the same.
Mark bends down over them.
- 1197. The Sherns swoop down on him.
Mark is firing his weapon.
- 1198. A still shining eye creeps
out to the floor from the head
- 1199. of a killed Shern and Mark repeats
silently after its final glint:
- 1200. "That is all".
- 1201. Thousands of Shern eyes,
- 1202. thousands of Shern brains are
laying in the drawers, waiting.
- 1203. Mark looks at the murals
on the temple walls.
- 1204. They are rotten and time-mellowed,
- 1205. they depict Sherns in thrones,
- 1206. holy Sherns gazing up at
- 1207. supreme Shern and still higher
into the clouds, with adoration.
- 1208. Mark's lips silently articulate
- 1209. "Home". "Home".
- 1210. Aza,
- 1211. are you crazy?
- 1212. I am crazy! I am crazy!
- 1213. You see,
- 1214. you can arrive at a state
in which you must admit,
- 1215. submit, let your guts out,
- 1216. as if recognizing that this
is just inside,
- 1217. and that the sight of your entrails
means giving up the secret,
- 1218. exposing and discarding your ego...
- 1219. without remainder.
- 1220. You,
- 1221. and if not you, then who?
- 1222. I?
- 1223. We are pleased with your
- 1224. but you had gone so many and you
are coming back so few!
- 1225. War, diseases.
- 1226. We were told by Yeret,
who you sent in advance,
- 1227. that you have done all
in the human power,
- 1228. the human power and nothing
- 1229. - Where is Yeret?
- But he is at your side.
- 1230. We sent him back with reinforcements,
as you demanded.
- 1231. Don't you remember?
- 1232. - I was sick.
- So we heard.
- 1233. What for?
- 1234. For the lack of faith,
- 1235. The faith does not call for
the gift of grace,
- 1236. - but life alone does.
- Why did we retreat, sir?
- 1237. We should have held out to
the end for man, to the end.
- 1238. It is said:
- 1239. Who comes to know oneself,
comes to know God.
- 1240. I already know who I am.
- 1241. And you, brother?
- 1242. Secret killings have been rife
since your left, sir.
- 1243. People are in panic.
You have retreated.
- 1244. - Their anger will be terrible.
- Where is lhezal?
- 1245. Lhezal!
- 1246. Lhezal!
- 1247. Get up! Get up!
- 1248. You are the only man
without a secret.
- 1249. You speak about it,
but you don't believe.
- 1250. You are like an animal
following a scent.
- 1251. Still the same.
- 1252. You are an actress playing
the value of the feeling,
- 1253. its transience.
- 1254. You are a biology
- 1255. speculating about the
mystery through your belly
- 1256. into which you lead the heat which
you in turn take to be yourself.
- 1257. Because we are sinful and dead.
We call from the depth.
- 1258. Let us creep to the grace of
- 1259. melt in your goodness
- 1260. and experience your mercy
in order to attain resurrection
- 1261. together with you,
- 1262. mystery, because we are
small and dead.
- 1263. Lhezal!
- 1264. Why are you hiding?
- 1265. I missed you so much!
- 1266. I waited.
- 1267. I knew that only my fidelity
mattered... my chastity...
- 1268. - and our mutual attachment.
- Why don't you let me touch you?
- 1269. - Your words are so indistinct.
- Maybe we are sick, sir...
- 1270. sick of evil and passivity.
- 1271. Maybe we live momentarily like an ulcer.
And you want to rearrange our destiny.
- 1272. Maybe I am a disease turning
towards the new...
- 1273. - unfamiliar freshness.
- I don't understand you!
- 1274. Sweet are my embraces,
- 1275. My, they are nothing compared
with the delight which the
whole body can feel...
- 1276. if it wants, if it is in rapport
with the feelings.
- 1277. I am a body, sir!
- 1278. Splitting.
- 1279. The idea of splitting.
Self-consciousness in splitting.
- 1280. There is duality of nature here
and duality of life.
- 1281. The thought of duality is part
of my nature.
- 1282. It's the contradiction between
form and desire...
- 1283. Between the answer and the
language of darkness.
- 1284. Hence I am God.
- 1285. - I am God.
- Come, sir.
- 1286. Sir!
- 1287. Sir,
- 1288. your spacecraft. Sir.
- 1289. The Expectant Brethren saw it rise
on a column of fire...
- 1290. I don't want to see any more.
I want to know.
- 1291. I want to be there.
- 1292. You - here. There - nothing.
- 1293. Nothing is there.
- 1294. Everything is here.
- 1295. You may die.
- 1296. I beg you.
- 1297. I am not afraid of dying.
- 1298. The sea!
- 1299. We must change their cruel laws,
expel the priests,
- 1300. give an equal share to the people,
destroy false hopes.
- 1301. - They will not agree.
- Then we alone will do it.
- 1302. The guns.
- 1303. Against whom?
- 1304. The city,
- 1305. the city.
- 1306. Oh, they are right, sir.
- 1307. Blessed be him who was
before he became.
- 1308. And you shall become
those who are passing by.
- 1309. The Shern Aviy sits above
- 1310. He is watching, curious
- 1311. and jeers: "Hail, brother".
- 1312. "Without that eye which
somebody had programmed for you,
- 1313. which perhaps you yourselves
- 1314. when you still could think"
- says Mark.
- 1315. The Shern answers:
And who has programmed you? ".
- 1316. "Who am I?"- Asks Mark.
- 1317. The Shern churns some dirt in
his claws against the wooden cross
- 1318. and replies: "You are this".
- 1319. "Will I ever emerge from
this darkness"- asks Marek.
- 1320. "It does hurt, brother,
doesn't it? "- answers Aviy.
- 1321. Jack fires at him.
The Shern drops down on the sand,
- 1322. revolving more and more slowly,
- 1323. like a dying spring toy.
He keeps repeating:
- 1324. "Love, love, love."
- 1325. Force, my force, you have left me!
- 1326. Who?
- 1327. What?
- 1328. Why?
- 1329. Welcome...
- 1330. grace.
- 1331. How much can one accept?
- 1332. How great is the mercy
to be felt?
- 1333. How much can you afford not to
change into a Shern yourself.
- 1334. In a casino, astronauts are playing
roulette and at baccarat.
- 1335. Jack is passing by listening
to shreds of conversations.
- 1336. Somebody says: "He was not to blame.
- 1337. He was an animal among animals,
a wolf in the forest".
- 1338. Somebody else reacts: "Soul has its
abode not in the brain,
- 1339. but in the form. "
A third voice:
- 1340. "The Angel symbolizes the
- 1341. from the visible into the invisible
which we are accomplishing. "
- 1342. Television screens along one side
of the hall flick to life,
- 1343. showing the pictures
registered by the camera
mounted on Mark's rocket.
- 1344. The camera apparently is stimulated
to action by an outside motion
or human body warmth;
- 1345. the scholar Rhoda and the Actor are
crawling towards the rocket,
- 1346. sharing an oxygen helmet.
- 1347. Jack is shouting to them,
but they don't hear.
- 1348. Scurrying by George's
- 1349. the Actor and Rhoda enter
- 1350. The casino manager grabs
Jack by the arm, saying:
- 1351. "Master,
- 1352. they are looking for you.
- 1353. The conspiracy of Gnostics...
Those, who know, should..."
- 1354. At one end of the baccarat
table lhezal is seated,
- 1355. wearing Aza's dress.
- 1356. She is laughing provocatively,
looking at Jack.
- 1357. She is surrounded by admirers.
- 1358. The face of Jack's assistant
appears on the screens.
- 1359. Master, we have a signal.
- 1360. Keep talking.
- 1361. Where's Marek?
- 1362. Who sent you?
- 1363. We can see you.
- 1364. There is white, round-shaped
light over you.
- 1365. There is the eye which can see us.
- 1366. Speak to the eye...
- 1367. We are going to Earth's interior
- 1368. where resides the truth
- 1369. and the happiness of man
- 1370. and the explanation of all
- 1371. Because we are right since ever...
- 1372. Right. Right. Right...
- 1373. - He's gone mad.
- No, he is performing.
- 1374. Master, we can bring them
over to us.
- 1375. They are close enough,
- 1376. master.
- 1377. Let them fly.
- 1378. Where to, master?
- 1379. To Old Earth.
- 1380. Jack turns his back to
- 1381. Very slowly he is sinking
to his knees
- 1382. and bending down to the ground.
- 1383. It's the heart stroke.
Jack is dying.
- 1384. The astronauts rush to help.
- 1385. They are pounding his chest
with fists. Nothing doing.
- 1386. From the corner of the hall,
master Jack is watching his death.
- 1387. The astronauts are struggling
to revive his body
- 1388. and nobody pays attention when
he is walking out the casino.
- 1389. It is dark outside.
- 1390. There are bonfires far out
in the steppe.
- 1391. Over the bonfires the tribe
is sitting. The same tribe.
- 1392. There is Rider there and there
is a girl with eyes in her palms,
- 1393. so very much like lhezal.
Jack is coming up to her.
- 1394. She rises to her feet
and opens her arms.
- 1395. The camera moves into the
darkness of her body.
- 1396. Her even heart-beat
- 1397. A moment later,
- 1398. the hoof-beats of a horse
- 1399. The final shot of this film
- 1400. recorded in the screenplay
was the following:
- 1401. 428. Long shot. 3 metres.
- 1402. In the dawning light:
- 1403. A horse without a rider
galloping across the steppe.
- 1404. Under the decision of the
vice-minister of culture
- 1405. undersecretary of state for
- 1406. the shooting of the film
"On the Silver Globe"
- 1407. was broken off in the spring
- 1408. At that time the film crew
were staying on the Baltic seacoast
- 1409. and the entire suite
of decorations and costumes
- 1410. needed to complete
a 2-year-old production
- 1411. had been finally created and awaited
the film crew in Wroclaw,
- 1412. Lower Silesia,
in the Masuria Lake District
and in the Caucasus Mountains.
- 1413. All these decorations,
costumes and props were destroyed.
- 1414. Film studio workers, wardrobe
specialist and art designers
- 1415. have preserved for many
years in warehouses
- 1416. and their private apartments
- 1417. whatever they managed to
salvage from the destruction.
- 1418. I'm finishing this film
thinking about them.
- 1419. Meanwhile the small drama
of this film
- 1420. and the grand and hopefully
dignified drama of our life
- 1421. will continue to intertwine
- 1422. in a common mosaic of successful
flights and crash landings.
- 1423. My name is Andrzej Zulawski,
- 1424. the director of the film
"On the Silver Globe".