- 1. "The names of persons and
organizations in this movie"
- 2. "have been partially changed."
- 3. "Produced by Taka Ichise"
- 4. "Directed by Koji Shiraishi"
- 5. This video documentary is deemed
too disturbing for public viewing.
- 6. These are books written by
Masafumi Kobayashi, a journalist
- 7. who had been chronicling
supernatural phenomenon since 1995.
- 8. He gathered accounts
of strange occurrences...
- 9. in his pursuit of horrifying and
- 10. Once he'd begun using video
in his research
- 11. he was able to compile his research
on to videotapes.
- 12. That bomb shelter?
- 13. Yes. It's in there.
- 14. I saw it over there.
- 15. It running in the woods very quickly.
- 16. This is where you saw the ghost...
- 17. Was it suicide?
- 18. Yes. I saw him in the fender mirror.
- 19. This is where...
- 20. a family of five was massacred.
- 21. In April 2004...
- 22. Kobayashi finished his latest...
- 23. video documentary, "The Curse".
- 24. This has to have some connection.
- 25. But soon after that...
- 26. At night on April 12,
Kobayashi's house burned down.
- 27. Later his wife, Keiko was found dead
in the remains.
- 28. But Kobayashi wasn't found.
He was declared missing.
- 29. Masafumi Kobayashi
had mysteriously vanished.
- 30. His video, "The Curse"...
- 31. reveals a truth too astounding
for us to imagine.
- 32. "I want the truth."
- 33. "No matter how terrifying
I want the truth."
- 34. "Masafumi Kobayashi."
- 35. "November 12, 2002, Koganei, Tokyo"
- 36. "Masafumi Kobayashi,
reporter of the supernatural."
- 37. The spooky voices you mentioned...
What kind of voices were they?
- 38. It sounded like babies' voices.
- 39. Babies' voices...
- 40. "Ryoko Okui, housewife"
- 41. When did it start?
- 42. A couple of months ago.
- 43. The sound comes from over there.
- 44. Who lives next door?
- 45. A woman in her 40s and her boy,
aged between 6 and 9.
- 46. There are two of them.
- 47. They moved in about half a year ago.
- 48. That was the only time that
I saw the boy.
- 49. I haven't seen him since.
- 50. I see the mother every now and then
when she goes out.
- 51. But she doesn't greet me.
- 52. I'm a bit scared. I don't want
my girl involved, either.
- 53. Let's go to the neighbor's.
- 54. Let's go in.
- 55. What a mess...!
- 56. Hello?
- 57. Anybody home?
- 58. I happened to be in the neighborhood
doing some research and...
- 59. What kind of way is that
to talk to me?
- 60. How can you talk to me like that?
- 61. May I have a few minutes
of your time...
- 62. How can you?
- 63. My name's Kobayashi and...
- 64. Impossible.
- 65. Give me a break.
- 66. "The strange sound was recorded
on video tape."
- 67. Let's begin.
- 68. Can you tell us what the sonic
- 69. Okay.
- 70. We have the spectrographic analysis
of the sound.
- 71. It has a band of noise
all the way through it.
- 72. But here, there's a unique signal.
- 73. I'll play it back for comparison.
- 74. "The unprocessed audio signal."
- 75. This one's noise-reduced.
- 76. "The processed audio signal."
- 77. As you can hear it's like
some kind of animal sound.
- 78. I have enhanced the signal.
- 79. Listen carefully.
- 80. A cat meows sequentially
but this sound isn't like that.
- 81. What's interesting about
this sound is...
- 82. that it doesn't repeat like a cat's
meow, it ends with an inhale.
- 83. That's the characteristic of
a human baby voice.
- 84. On closer examination
- 85. it sounds like the voices of
more than 5 babies.
- 86. Several days after your visit...
- 87. they moved out of that house.
- 88. What? They moved out?
- 89. How about the strange voices?
- 90. Do you still hear the baby voices?
- 91. Not since they moved out.
- 92. So her name is Junko Ishii.
- 93. Come here, Miyajima!
- 94. Excuse us now.
- 95. They died 5 days later.
- 96. Mrs. Okui lost control of her car
when she was driving.
- 97. The car went over the divider
into the incoming traffic...
- 98. "Footage from a TV variety program,
aired on August 3, 2003"
- 99. Good evening, everybody!
- 100. Good evening.
- 101. Very good, everybody.
- 102. Let me introduce you to
- 103. Mr. Koichi Hirotsu, the psychic.
- 104. Thank you very much.
- 105. Can you tell us
how the experiment proceeds?
- 106. The first experiment deals
- 107. "Experiment 1, Clairvoyance"
- 108. In each of these containers
- 109. there's a piece of paper.
- 110. It has a drawing on it.
- 111. I want you to imagine what's drawn.
- 112. "First question"
- 113. 10 children with ESP abilities
from all over Japan.
- 114. We're about to witness their powers!
- 115. They all look kind of nervous.
- 116. Everybody, concentrate right here.
- 117. Try to envision the paper
in the container.
- 118. You'll get a vision in your head.
- 119. None of us know...
- 120. what's drawn on the paper.
- 121. One of them is starting
to draw what she sees.
- 122. "One of them is starting
to draw what she sees"
- 123. Can she really see it?
- 124. Let's open the container
- 125. and take a look at the paper.
- 126. What's on the paper?
- 127. The answer is a double circle.
- 128. But not just a double circle.
- 129. Each circle has two points
- 130. where the line is broken.
- 131. It's a complicated shape.
- 132. Did anybody get it right?
- 133. "Results"
- 134. You there...
- 135. She got it right!
- 136. Kana Yano
- 137. can you show us what you drew?
- 138. Take a good look, everybody.
- 139. It's drawn with extreme accuracy.
- 140. Even the scale is accurate.
- 141. This is incredible!
- 142. Kana Yano...
- 143. She gave correct answers to
- 144. all the questions up to 4.
- 145. "Fifth question"
- 146. Will Kana give an correct answer
to the fifth question, too?
- 147. Kana's already drawing something.
- 148. "Results"
- 149. Show us what you've got, everybody.
- 150. The answer to the question
looks like this.
- 151. It's totally different.
- 152. "It means Star in Russian"
- 153. I guess this one was difficult.
- 154. Maybe she's tired.
- 155. Next we'll make water materialize
in sealed bottles.
- 156. It's called materialization.
- 157. It is done by telekinetically
envisioning water in the bottle.
- 158. Let's do it.
- 159. "Begin experiment"
- 160. This requires intense concentration.
- 161. And now...
- 162. you're about to witness a miracle
performed by Kana!
- 163. Look, Kana's getting some water!
- 164. Can you see it?
- 165. At the bottom of the bottle...
water's gathering out of nowhere!
- 166. Of course, there's no false bottom
on the bottle, nor the table.
- 167. It's the same girl again.
- 168. What were you thinking
- 169. when you did this?
- 170. I thought about water.
- 171. When the water materialized...
- 172. did you feel something different?
- 173. Were you hot or numb?
- 174. I had a headache.
- 175. My, God!
- 176. What is this thing?
- 177. Some kind of hair?
- 178. Yes. I guess she materialized it
together with the water.
- 179. What was it that mysteriously
appeared in the bottle?
- 180. Tests done on the water
that Kana produced, have come in.
- 181. "Professor Takaaki Yuhara, DSc"
- 182. The major component is water.
- 183. We found animal plankton
which suggests that
- 184. it's fresh water from either
a river or a lake.
- 185. The hair in the water is
indeed that of an animal.
- 186. It could be human hair, but because
there's no medulla development...
- 187. it could be from a newborn baby.
- 188. "August 27, Fuchu, Tokyo"
- 189. "Kobayashi interviewed
- 190. Hello.
- 191. Thanks for coming.
- 192. She's been sleeping all day?
- 193. Since after lunch.
- 194. "Kana Yano,
the psychic who appeared on TV."
- 195. She's had a slight fever
since those TV experiments.
- 196. She's spent lots of time
in bed, resting.
- 197. We took her to the doctor but
he couldn't find anything wrong.
- 198. We're very concerned about her.
- 199. I thought the program was pushing
the children too much...
- 200. Too many experiments.
- 201. I wonder if she's exhausted
her powers on that one occasion...
- 202. "Unused footage of a TV variety show
taped on October 23"
- 203. Hello, we're the Ungirls.
- 204. We're so popular that
ants crawl up our legs in the park.
- 205. When I'm a pall-bearer
- 206. I'm so tall that
I have to hold the coffin myself.
- 207. We're the Ungirls.
- 208. We're on our way to a shrine,
a popular ghost-sighting spot.
- 209. It was deemed boring if
it was just the two of us.
- 210. So we have the actress
Marika Matsumoto here too.
- 211. Good evening. I'm Marika Matsumoto.
- 212. I heard that you have a sixth sense.
- 213. That's right.
- 214. Have you ever had any
- 215. Yes. Ever since I was a child...
- 216. For so long?
- 217. Yes. I've seen apparitions.
- 218. Are you okay, Marika?
- 219. I don't know...
The back of my neck's tingling.
- 220. You feel tingly?
- 221. I'm scared...
- 222. Maybe we shouldn't go in there?
- 223. But that's what we are here for,
so we're going in.
- 224. Here we are!
- 225. You want to go in?
- 226. It's spooky...
- 227. Guys! I feel something over
in that direction.
- 228. I feel something really strange...
- 229. This way.
- 230. We'd better stay here.
- 231. Let's all go in together.
- 232. It feels very strange...
- 233. But there's nothing here.
- 234. Maybe it's here... Yes, it is.
- 235. Can you bring the camera over here?
- 236. Only these trees are dead.
- 237. Everywhere else the trees are okay.
- 238. They're okay there, too.
- 239. Only here, they're dead.
- 240. Look at this tree. So lumpy.
- 241. Yuck...
It's dripping with something sticky.
- 242. What's this?
Is it oozing from the tree?
- 243. No! Don't touch it!
- 244. I mean it. Stay back...
- 245. Is it bad?
- 246. Shit!
- 247. What's wrong?
- 248. I heard something...
- 249. Did you hear that?
- 250. Did I? I heard nothing...
- 251. Something... It was a low voice,
like a man's.
- 252. A man's voice?
- 253. Was that you?
- 254. I've had enough of this.
- 255. There's nothing over there.
- 256. Stop the camera! Stop it!
- 257. "November 26, a live talk show,
A Night of True Horror Stories."
- 258. Wasn't that something special?
- 259. It was incredible. I was blown away.
- 260. How do you feel now, Marika?
- 261. I feel embarrassed.
- 262. So this footage was edited out?
- 263. That's right. The director arranged
for me to have a copy.
- 264. In the footage, you said you could
hear a man's voice.
- 265. It was a very low voice.
- 266. It sounded like it was calling me.
- 267. Did you see me turn
when I heard the voice?
- 268. I remember nothing
from that point on.
- 269. Nothing at all?
- 270. No.
- 271. Tonight, we have a special guest
who'll examine Marika's condition.
- 272. A person with psychic ability.
- 273. Let's welcome our guest!
- 274. Let's hear it for him!
- 275. Calm down, he's our guest.
- 276. Our guest has arrived in
an outfit that's very different.
- 277. Can you see us up on the stage?
Come this way.
- 278. We want you to use your power and
give us your impression of Marika.
- 279. Ladies and gentlemen,
this is Mitsuo Hori.
- 280. A man with unique psychic powers.
- 281. He's engaged in activities
- 282. to protect humans against
- 283. Look at the flier you were given
at the door.
- 284. It's difficult to
follow his thoughts...
- 285. Hey, let her go.
- 286. You are in big trouble!
- 287. Pigeons!
- 288. My, God! The pigeons!
- 289. The pigeons!
- 290. Show him the door.
- 291. Watch out for the pigeons!
- 292. "Midoriyama TV Studio"
- 293. "Kobayashi met the director
of the variety show."
- 294. Are you Mr. Kobayashi?
- 295. - I'm Kobayashi.
- I'm Shimbashi.
- 296. When I gave the footage to Marika,
I edited something out.
- 297. I didn't want to spook her.
- 298. This is right before
she screams and collapses.
- 299. There's something I want you to see.
- 300. "Sugishobou Publishing"
- 301. Hello.
- 302. This is Miyajima, our cameraman.
- 303. Nice to meet you.
- 304. I'm Marika Matsumoto.
It's my pleasure.
- 305. It's on the right side of you
on the video.
- 306. You can see it just briefly.
I'll pause the image for you.
- 307. Right after this.
- 308. It's here.
- 309. Oh, God...
- 310. I don't know if it's related...
- 311. What is it, Ms. Matsumoto?
- 312. Something's been bothering me lately.
- 313. Take a look at this.
- 314. The drawing?
- 315. I don't know what it is.
- 316. But I find myself drawing
these images unconsciously.
- 317. When did you start drawing
- 318. I guess...
- 319. After the video shoot at the shrine.
- 320. The shrine...
- 321. Wait!
- 322. There are so many... I can feel it!
- 323. Wait, wait...
- 324. Can you see something?
- 325. No, I can't see anything but...
- 326. There are so many of them!
- 327. I don't know what they are...
- 328. I've had enough of this.
- 329. Do you see something?
- 330. "December 4"
- 331. The slight fever she had
stopped some time ago...
- 332. But instead, she's beginning to
act strangely recently...
- 333. It's strange.
- 334. She's often talking to somebody
when there's nobody in the room.
- 335. Who is it that you talk to...
- 336. that your mother isn't able to see?
- 337. I guess it's too late for all of us.
- 338. What do you mean?
- 339. We'd better take it, too.
- 340. No!
- 341. What's wrong?
- 342. Kana...
- 343. Kana, you'd better lie down.
- 344. Excuse me...
- 345. "Footage from a variety show
aired on December 9"
- 346. Now, Maria Takagi went to
interview a psychic!
- 347. Let's watch the interview.
- 348. This psychic man
was really something.
- 349. - You saw him?
- I did.
- 350. - It's on video?
- 351. Okay, let's not watch it.
- 352. No? It's like... duh!
- 353. What kind of reaction is that?
- 354. Here's the interview with
The Super Psychic!
- 355. This is Maria Takagi.
- 356. Today, I'm here to meet with the
super psychic who lives around here.
- 357. I can't wait to find his place.
- 358. Is it true that your next door
neighbor is a super psychic?
- 359. Super psychic?
- 360. I think he's a freaking psycho.
- 361. I saw him several times
putting out the garbage...
- 362. He's a freaking psycho.
- 363. He can't be cured.
- 364. So he's a freaking psycho.
- 365. Is this it?
- 366. "Strange messages on the garbage"
- 367. Hello! Is the super psychic home?
- 368. Are you the super psychic?
- 369. Mitsuo Hori...
- 370. I can do that.
- 371. I'm psychic.
- 372. Could I interview you?
- 373. Is it alright?
- 374. I'm coming inside.
- 375. Can you see this?
We've got to show this!
- 376. The room's covered entirely
with aluminum foil!
- 377. Hundreds of fliers are
stored in these boxes.
- 378. What's written on these fliers?
- 379. What are they for?
- 380. For years, I've been receiving
- 381. Dangerous messages...
- 382. Space...
- 383. What?
- 384. - Space!
- 385. With space...
- 386. I can connect...
- 387. I can see the future...
- 388. Many bad, bad guys...
- 389. Ectoplasmic worms...
- 390. It says so here.
- 391. The worms are all over,
- 392. The super psychic's expressing
himself with body language.
- 393. Is that his expression for
the ectoplasmic worms?
- 394. "December 22"
- 395. Was anything out of the ordinary
around the time that Kana vanished?
- 396. For about a week
before she disappeared...
- 397. there was a man
who kept visiting her.
- 398. I had no idea
what he was talking about.
- 399. He was wearing a hat covered with
- 400. And also...
- 401. he had a long coat covered with
- 402. And for some reason, Kana told me...
- 403. that the man was
of no threat to her...
- 404. On the day that Kana disappeared...
- 405. We found this strange flier.
It was placed face down.
- 406. It says, "Help."
I think this is Kana's handwriting.
- 407. See what Kana drew on this?
- 408. Has she always drawn
this kind of pattern?
- 409. "Kana's parents said they'd never
seen anything like this before."
- 410. "Help."
- 411. "The worms are increasing.
If we don't deal with them..."
- 412. Hello, is Mr. Hori home?
- 413. Excuse me.
- 414. I'm a journalist
doing some research.
- 415. Can you help me with my research
into the missing girl, Kana?
- 416. Who are you?
- 417. My name is Kobayashi.
- 418. I believe we met on the talkshow
the other night.
- 419. What?
- 420. Come in!
- 421. Oh, excuse me.
- 422. What's with
the aluminum on the walls?
- 423. Why are you covered with it?
- 424. It protects me from the tingling.
- 425. Because the ectoplasmic worms
- 426. What are these ectoplasmic worms?
- 427. These horrible worms...
- 428. they are everywhere.
- 429. They eat people and they multiply.
- 430. Eat people?
- 431. Kana...
- 432. She was eaten, too.
- 433. Kana?
- 434. Mr. Hori.
- 435. You know something about her,
- 436. Where is Kana now?
- 437. I lost track of where she is...
- 438. Mr. Hori! Let go of my bag!
- 439. Stop it at once!
- 440. Kana!
- 441. This flier...
- 442. I picked it up at her house.
- 443. What do you know about
- 444. Quiet!
- 445. Blue...
- 446. A blue building..
- 447. A blue building...
- 448. Blue?
- 449. Galvanized iron sheets...
- 450. What is it?
- 451. Cars...
- 452. A parking lot?
- 453. Is he drawing a map?
- 454. The worms are coming out...
- 455. The worms?
- 456. The worms are coming out.
- 457. A young man...
- 458. A young man.
- 459. The worms took Kana away.
- 460. They took her away!
- 461. To that direction?
- 462. Wait a second, Mr. Hori.
- 463. I have a map for you.
- 464. This is where we are.
- 465. That way!
- 466. I can't read the map...
- 467. Did he say that way?
- 468. What's Kagutaba?
- 469. Kagu... What did you say?
- 470. Calm down, Mr. Hori!
- 471. Are you okay?
- 472. Calm down!
- 473. Go away!
- 474. Excuse us!
- 475. Something weird happened
to the video image...
- 476. What do you mean, "weird"?
- 477. "Kobayashi looked for Kana according
to the map of Mitsuo Hori."
- 478. Mr. Kobayashi, how about that
apartment over there?
- 479. There is a parking lot.
- 480. But they're in different positions.
- 481. That's a blue building.
- 482. But it has only two stories.
- 483. This isn't it.
- 484. This is difficult.
- 485. Hello, this is Marika Matsumoto.
- 486. I have something I want to show you.
- 487. What is it?
- 488. "December 26, Meguro, Tokyo"
- 489. I wanted to show you these loops.
- 490. When I woke up yesterday morning,
I found the yarn.
- 491. And the wool was tied into
these complicated knots.
- 492. With many loops.
- 493. I don't recall putting the yarn here
before I went to bed.
- 494. I don't remember tying the wool
in knots, either.
- 495. Something must have happened
while I was asleep.
- 496. I'm scared to fall asleep now...
- 497. I'll leave the camera plugged in.
- 498. Turn it on when you go to bed.
- 499. Okay.
- 500. "Later that night"
- 501. And you never woke up until morning?
- 502. No.
- 503. And you remember nothing after
you fell asleep initially?
- 504. No, I don't.
- 505. These loops look just like
the ones on the wool.
- 506. They do...
- 507. Very similar...
The way they are tied...
- 508. Maybe this is the same banging
noise recorded on the video.
- 509. It may be.
- 510. A girl who works for the same agency
- 511. Is that right?
- 512. How long has it been like this?
- 513. Lately...
- 514. Sorry to bother you.
- 515. What's up?
- 516. Is this for TV?
- 517. Have you been banging on the floor?
- 518. What? No, I haven't.
- 519. Did you hear a banging sound?
- 520. I've been here all day,
but I didn't hear anything.
- 521. - Didn't you?
- 522. I heard banging...
- 523. late last night, too.
- 524. Really? I didn't hear that either.
- 525. Are you sure?
- 526. Have you noticed anything
out of the ordinary recently?
- 527. Have you felt inexplicably sick?
- 528. Anything like that?
- 529. No, nothing strange has been
happening in my life.
- 530. Sorry. Did we scare you?
- 531. No, it's okay.
- 532. "January 6, 2004, Nakano, Tokyo"
- 533. I didn't know
what this was before...
- 534. But I think this is a telephone pole
- 535. 3 stories. Even the number of
- 536. It's a bluish-colored building, too.
- 537. And the room indicated is...
- 538. 2nd from the right on
the 3rd floor.
- 539. The one with garbage bags
on the veranda.
- 540. Let's go to the room.
- 541. A person named Osawa lives here.
- 542. Hello, is Mr. Osawa in?
- 543. I can hear something inside.
- 544. Excuse me.
- 545. Do you know anything about Mr. Osawa
who lives next door?
- 546. He's a man of about 25.
- 547. I barely see him.
He's often talking to himself.
- 548. He was also making the banging
sound a while ago.
- 549. Did you hear that noise?
- 550. Have you ever seen the man
with a girl of...
- 551. about 10 years of age?
- 552. No, I've never seen him
with a girl.
- 553. "January 7"
- 554. The pigeons are only on
- 555. It's strange.
- 556. Keep the camera on the room.
- 557. Definitely.
- 558. There he is.
- 559. "A few days later, Osawa vanished."
- 560. There's a strange sound on the
tape of Marika in her room.
- 561. I'll play it back.
- 562. Around here.
- 563. Did you hear that?
- 564. "We had the tape analyzed."
- 565. The original sound's here.
On the right it's processed.
- 566. You can compare them.
- 567. The noise is reduced
on this recording.
- 568. What's Kagutaba?
- 569. What do you think?
- 570. It actually sounds like...
- 571. the voice I heard at
the shrine that night.
- 572. You mean the shrine
you visited for the TV show?
- 573. Yes.
- 574. It sounds just like that voice.
- 575. The voice on the tape seems
to be saying, Kagutaba.
- 576. Kagutaba?
- 577. Does the word Kagutaba
mean anything to you?
- 578. No, I don't think so.
- 579. I've never heard of it.
- 580. "Kobayashi started to look into
the word Kagutaba."
- 581. It's this word, Kagutaba.
- 582. Yes, Kagutaba.
- 583. It's far fetched, but you could
speculate that it derives from
- 584. Kamitama, meaning god's spirit.
- 585. I see. God's spirit...
- 586. Have you ever heard a foreign word
- 587. that sounds like Kagutaba?
- 588. I can't think of any.
- 589. Is this Doctor Shioya?
- 590. I'm trying to find out about
a strange word.
- 591. The word is Kagutaba.
- 592. Kagutaba?
- 593. Yes, that's right.
- 594. Kagutaba...
- 595. I think I saw it in some book
- 596. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir.
- 597. Let's get down to business.
- 598. The book you mentioned on the phone.
- 599. Can I take a look at it?
- 600. This is an ethnological document
compiled by the Tokita county office.
- 601. I found the word Kagutaba
mentioned in this book.
- 602. There's a town called Shikamimachi
in Tokita county.
- 603. Right next to the town
- 604. there used to be a village called
- 605. It's now at the bottom of a dam.
- 606. Before the village's demise
the villagers had a strange custom.
- 607. It was called the demon ritual.
- 608. Demon ritual?
- 609. It was performed
to pacify the demon.
- 610. And according to the book...
- 611. The demon was called Kagutaba.
- 612. Does that mean that Kagutaba
is the name of a demon?
- 613. Well, it's difficult to say.
I think that it was just...
- 614. convenient for them to call
the unknown entity a demon.
- 615. This is a document that is over
200 years old.
- 616. It says Kagutaba right here.
- 617. The kanji characters for
"disaster, tool and spirit."
- 618. The 3 characters make up
the word Kagutaba.
- 619. A tool that's capable of causing
- 620. That's what it means.
- 621. A long time ago,
in Shimokage village...
- 622. there was a group of sorcerers
who migrated from the west.
- 623. They developed a type of sorcery
called "Shimokage's Way."
- 624. One of their spells was called
the "Kagutaba method."
- 625. The sorcerer performed the spell
to summon Kagutaba...
- 626. which was sent to an adversary
to put him under a deadly spell.
- 627. The document says that
that was the role of Kagutaba.
- 628. But in one incident,
when a sorcerer summoned Kagutaba...
- 629. it disobeyed the instructions of
- 630. It started to do evil things
on its own.
- 631. So the sorcerer...
performed another spell
- 632. and finally succeeded in
confining Kagutaba deep underground.
- 633. "Shimokage Village submerged with the
construction of Shikami Dam in 1978"
- 634. "The demon ritual was discontinued."
- 635. This is Shikami town hall.
- 636. I'm interested in the old rituals
- 637. at Shimokage village before it went
- 638. Okay... Hold on please.
- 639. So you want to know
about the Shimokage rituals?
- 640. Yes, I do.
- 641. We don't have it
very well documented so...
- 642. I'll introduce you to someone.
- 643. Mr. Tanimura
researches local history.
- 644. Hello, my name's Kobayashi.
- 645. Oh, hello there.
- 646. Please come in.
- 647. The ritual was never
- 648. So there's no documentation.
- 649. But the last ritual
performed in 1978 was filmed
- 650. by a film production contracted by
Mr. Ishii, the priest.
- 651. These are the 16mm films.
- 652. I pleaded with the Ishii family to
give them to me.
- 653. This is the video.
I transferred the film to video.
- 654. Shimokage village was a community
- 655. The villagers
still believe in sorcery.
- 656. Now it's becoming a fading memory
- 657. but they still place a sickle at
the door to keep away evil spirits.
- 658. Those who left the village have
a sickle above their front doors.
- 659. Interesting.
- 660. "We don't need a dam!"
- 661. Shimokage sorcerers used dogs
in their rituals.
- 662. That's why the villagers
still have dogs.
- 663. This is the Demon Shrine where
the ritual was performed.
- 664. Mr. Ishii was a priest
at this shrine.
- 665. You'll see him in a minute.
- 666. Look. That's Kagutaba.
- 667. This ritual is to pacify the demon.
- 668. Now Kagutaba is rampaging.
- 669. That's Ishii, the priest.
- 670. He is going to pacify Kagutaba.
- 671. Now the priest will bow...
- 672. One bow, four claps... and one bow.
- 673. This is a distinctive way to bow,
only done at this shrine.
- 674. Usually it's two bows,
two claps and one bow.
- 675. But this is one bow,
four claps, one bow.
- 676. There is no other place in Japan
where people bow in this manner.
- 677. But after the priest bowed...
- 678. The woman who was playing the part
of Kagutaba became delirious.
- 679. They had to stop the ritual.
- 680. The religious villagers said that
she was possessed.
- 681. Some said that
owing to the dam plan...
- 682. the ritual wouldn't be performed
again, which angered Kagutaba.
- 683. They thought it was
some kind of curse.
- 684. In the legend, Kagutaba was confined
underneath Shimokage village.
- 685. And it's the demon in the ritual.
- 686. What was it really?
- 687. Nobody knows for sure.
- 688. I would like to meet
Mr. Ishii, the priest.
- 689. Is that possible?
- 690. 7 years ago, immediately after
giving me the film...
- 691. Mr. Ishii died from an illness.
- 692. So did his wife but
their only daughter's still alive.
- 693. She was the possessed woman
in the film...
- 694. She recently moved back here
- 695. I heard that she lives with
her son in the Ishii house.
- 696. She's in the Mikaishi community,
- 697. where the Shimokage villagers
- 698. Mikaishi?
- 699. I also heard that
she's a bit eccentric.
- 700. I don't know if she'll talk to you.
- 701. "Mikaishi Village"
- 702. I think we're almost there.
- 703. What's this?
- 704. This has to have some connection.
- 705. Hello?
- 706. Hello?
- 707. Anybody home?
- 708. How can you talk to me like that!
- 709. I'm asking you!
How can you talk to me like that?
- 710. Did you see her?
- 711. I did.
- 712. A woman in her 40s and her boy,
aged between 6 and 9.
- 713. How can you just
talk to me like that?
- 714. So her name is Junko Ishii.
- 715. Kobayashi asked around.
- 716. Look, the sickle.
- 717. Hello, anybody home?
- 718. Is anybody home?
- 719. Nobody.
- 720. May I help you?
- 721. Excuse me but do you know
the Ishii house down the street?
- 722. There seems to be
- 723. Yeah, ever since
the daughter came back.
- 724. You'd best stay away from her.
- 725. For your own sake.
- 726. Excuse me.
- 727. What?
- 728. Sorry to bother you.
- 729. TV?
- 730. You know Mrs. Ishii down the street?
- 731. Ishii?
- 732. I'm a journalist doing research.
You may be able to help me.
- 733. Could you help me?
- 734. Come in.
- 735. Oh, thank you so much.
- 736. I was a good friend of Junko's
before she moved out.
- 737. She left the village to go
to nursing school in Tokyo.
- 738. Do you remember
the name of the school?
- 739. Musashino Nurse School or something.
I don't remember clearly.
- 740. How can I put this...
Has Junko always been...
- 741. mentally disturbed like she is now?
- 742. Not at all.
- 743. She was just a friendly,
- 744. Was she?
- 745. She changed after the demon ritual.
- 746. The demon ritual?
- 747. She started to act strangely.
- 748. I think the ritual caused her
to become possessed.
- 749. She told me that she'd heard
- 750. She said she had to obey his words.
- 751. She became kind of strange
- 752. I heard that people thought
it was the Kagutaba's curse.
- 753. Do you think she was...
- 754. Excuse me?
- 755. Hello?
- 756. "January 21, Musashino, Tokyo"
- 757. May I ask a few questions about
Junko Ishii, one of your graduates?
- 758. After she graduated in 1982
- 759. she got a job at an obstetric clinic
- 760. I can disclose the name of
- 761. but it closed in 2000.
- 762. May I ask you some questions
- 763. regarding somebody
you used to work with?
- 764. Sure.
- 765. Junko Ishii.
What kind of a person was she?
- 766. She was a very hardworking woman.
- 767. Quiet in a spooky sort of way.
- 768. She was the kind of woman
who only talks about work.
- 769. The clinic we used to work for...
- 770. performed abortions even into
the 22nd week of pregnancies.
- 771. It's clearly illegal.
- 772. And she was the one in charge of
disposing of the aborted embryos.
- 773. There was a rumor that
she took the embryos home.
- 774. "Did she really take the embryos?"
- 775. "If she did, for what purpose?"
- 776. "February 6"
- 777. Midori? Is she your colleague...
- 778. the one who lives directly upstairs?
- 779. Yes. Midori has...
- 780. She's dead.
- 781. The police came and told me that...
- 782. Midori... committed suicide.
- 783. She did it in the park.
- 784. She killed herself with...
- 785. a bunch of strangers.
- 786. They hanged themselves...
- 787. Do you think it was my fault?
- 788. I got so scared that
I left the apartment.
- 789. I'm sorry...
- 790. I'm sorry...
- 791. Kobayashi asked his wife to
take care of Marika.
- 792. I'm home.
- 793. Hi.
- 794. Keiko, my wife.
- 795. Nice to meet you.
- 796. It's nice of you to let me stay.
- 797. "News footage aired the same night"
- 798. 6 am today in Hironuma Park
in Nerima, Tokyo...
- 799. 7 men and women were found dead.
- 800. They were hanging
from the iron bar of the swing.
- 801. It's suspected that the strangers
got together to commit suicide.
- 802. "7 bodies hanging from the swing."
- 803. Here are the names of those
who hanged themselves.
- 804. "February 10"
- 805. Look.
- 806. This is the girl who lived
upstairs from Marika.
- 807. And look at him.
- 808. When he first moved in
he was just a pleasant, normal guy.
- 809. But about half a year ago...
It was around last summer...
- 810. He started to complain a lot to
the woman who was living next door.
- 811. They argued a lot.
- 812. Is that right?
- 813. His neighbor was a tough
- 814. But eventually she moved out.
I guess she felt scared.
- 815. The neighbor moved out?
- 816. Do you remember what kind of
arguments they used to have?
- 817. He complained about the baby
being too noisy.
- 818. A baby?
- 819. She didn't have a baby, though.
- 820. It was just her and her boy
who was 5 or 6.
- 821. Just a moment, please...
- 822. Is the woman
who used to live there...
- 823. Is this the woman?
- 824. Yes, that's her.
- 825. No mistake. It's her.
- 826. "News footage, February 12"
- 827. Next news.
- 828. Earlier today at an apartment
- 829. a businessman stabbed his wife
to death and got arrested.
- 830. Our reporter is at the murder site.
- 831. Today at 7:10 am
- 832. a man called the police
and said that he'd stabbed his wife.
- 833. The police rushed
to the apartment
- 834. and found Kimiko Yano
stabbed to death.
- 835. Also at the site was the suspect,
Teruyuki Yano, her husband.
- 836. He confessed and was arrested
on the spot.
- 837. So far he has not told the police
why he killed his wife.
- 838. Their daughter has been missing
for a few months.
- 839. Do the police know anything
about her disappearance?
- 840. They have no information on her.
- 841. Kana, the daughter disappeared
on December 19 last year.
- 842. No clues have been found.
- 843. Today, Marika's cooking for me.
- 844. It's something yummy.
- 845. It's Spaghetti al Bongole
with tomato sauce.
- 846. Here, my special pasta
and potato salad.
- 847. They look great.
- 848. And this is... my special tea.
- 849. Isn't it out of a can?
- 850. No. It's my special oolong tea.
- 851. Would you like some Tabasco?
- 852. Yes? Here it comes.
- 853. A gourmet lunch.
- 854. Marika?
- 855. Marika!
- 856. Marika, what's wrong?
- 857. Did I groan?
- 858. Yes.
- 859. You seemed to be suffering,
you groaned and...
- 860. And some things crashed into
the window at the same time.
- 861. What is it?
- 862. Are you okay?
- 863. I'm...
- 864. I'm the next one to die.
- 865. I'm going to Nagano again.
- 866. I'll talk to Junko Ishii...
- 867. and get her to talk to us.
- 868. That will help us
solve this mystery.
- 869. Hori, the psychic said
to watch out for pigeons.
- 870. Did he mean that pigeons were
a sign of imminent death?
- 871. Let's visit him tomorrow
and ask him about it.
- 872. "We visited Mr. Hori"
- 873. "to show him the Junko Ishii tape."
- 874. "February 13"
- 875. Mr. Hori.
- 876. Are you ready, Mr. Hori?
- 877. This is what we want you to watch.
- 878. It's on this tape.
- 879. I'm sorry.
- 880. I've turned it off.
- 881. Mr. Hori.
- 882. When you watched the video,
did you feel something
- 883. or did you see anything?
- 884. Mr. Hori.
- 885. Mr. Kobayashi.
- 886. Take me to the dam...
- 887. where the village was,
the one with the demon rituals.
- 888. Why do you want to go there?
- 889. I want to try to perform
the ritual myself...
- 890. and see what it does to me.
- 891. Absolutely not!
- 892. The ritual might have caused
Junko Ishii's possession.
- 893. It's too dangerous.
- 894. If the ritual is necessary,
I'll go and do it by myself.
- 895. I don't want to die...
- 896. I have to do it myself.
- 897. Please.
- 898. Okay then. Let's go to the dam.
- 899. I'll visit Mr. Hori again
- 900. and ask him to come along with us.
- 901. Mr. Hori! We need your help!
- 902. What can we do to contain
the Kagutaba curse?
- 903. Mr. Hori.
- 904. We can't do this without your help.
- 905. Kana...
- 906. The worms have eaten her...
- 907. Maybe these worms are
- 908. It's too quiet around here...
- 909. Where are the dogs now?
- 910. "We drove to the dam
where Shimokage village used to be."
- 911. "Shikami Dam"
- 912. Are you okay?
- 913. This is where we are on the map.
- 914. So the shrine must have been...
- 915. right between that point
and the shore.
- 916. Off we go.
- 917. Let me know when you get back.
- 918. Thank you so much.
- 919. We'll be back soon.
- 920. Are you okay, Marika?
- 921. You don't look good.
We should go back.
- 922. - I'm okay.
- Are you sure?
- 923. We're almost there.
- 924. It's about here.
- 925. Let's get ready.
- 926. Good.
- 927. Now, you bow in that special way.
- 928. One bow, four claps, one bow...
- 929. How do you feel?
- 930. Talk to me.
- 931. I'm better.
- 932. Are you?
- 933. I feel lighter.
- 934. Good! It worked for you.
- 935. It was good we came to do this!
- 936. It's gone...
- 937. What's wrong, Mr. Hori?
- 938. It's not good...
- 939. What's not good?
- 940. It's not good at all...
- 941. I feel so much clearer now.
- 942. Thank you so much.
- 943. Hurry back!
- 944. Oh, no, no, no!
- 945. Hurry!
- 946. Get out of there!
- 947. They'll eat you up!
- 948. Now!
- 949. Hurry!
- 950. We have to leave the mountain!
- 951. Drive away!
- 952. Let's get out of here, then.
- 953. Back to the car.
- 954. Mr. Hori.
- 955. Kana!
- 956. Wait a minute, Mr. Hori!
- 957. Take care of Marika.
- 958. No problem.
- 959. Mr. Kobayashi, wait!
- 960. Don't worry, I'll be right back.
- 961. He's okay. Let's go.
- 962. Are you sure?
- 963. To the car.
- 964. Wait a minute!
- 965. Are they going to be okay?
- 966. I'll go look for them later.
- 967. How do you feel now?
- 968. Me? I'm feeling just fine.
- 969. Let's go, then.
- 970. Mr. Hori!
- 971. Kana!
- 972. Mr. Hori, you have to stop!
- 973. Kana!
- 974. Wait a minute!
- 975. Marika?
- 976. Wait for me, Mr. Hori!
- 977. What is it?
- 978. What's wrong?
- 979. Dogs?
- 980. They've just been killed...
- 981. Are they the village dogs?
- 982. What's happening now?
- 983. What's this?
- 984. It's a magic field...
- 985. What's going on here?
- 986. More dead dogs...
- 987. Don't go in there!
- 988. Stay away!
- 989. Marika!
- 990. Are you okay, Marika?
- 991. Marika, what's wrong?
- 992. Should I pull over? Are you okay?
- 993. What's wrong? Are you okay?
- 994. Marika!
- 995. Marika!
- 996. What's going on, Mr. Hori?
- 997. What did you find there?
- 998. Marika!
- 999. Marika!
- 1000. Marika, can you hear me?
- 1001. Can you hear me?
- 1002. Marika!
- 1003. It's a shrine!
- 1004. Kana... Kana...
- 1005. Mr. Hori!
- 1006. Mr. Hori, is Kana in there?
- 1007. Marika.
- 1008. Marika!
- 1009. Marika!
- 1010. Marika!
- 1011. Kana.
- 1012. Is she in there?
- 1013. This is ancient.
- 1014. My God!
- 1015. This pattern is the same as
what Kana drew...
- 1016. What's wrong, Mr. Hori?
- 1017. Mr. Hori, are you okay?
- 1018. Mr. Hori!
- 1019. Get a grip of yourself!
- 1020. Marika!
- 1021. Come back!
- 1022. Can you hear me?
- 1023. Yes...
- 1024. Are you okay?
- 1025. Yes...
- 1026. What is this?
- 1027. "We took Marika and Mr. Hori
to a local hospital."
- 1028. "And we went back to Junko Ishii's
house in search of truth."
- 1029. Excuse me!
- 1030. Let's go in.
- 1031. Let's go and see.
- 1032. Film here.
- 1033. Let's go upstairs.
- 1034. It's Junko Ishii.
- 1035. It's her. She's hung herself.
- 1036. Look at that!
- 1037. Kagutaba masks.
- 1038. She's hung pigeons up here...
- 1039. There is a boy behind there!
- 1040. A boy?
- 1041. Behind there!
- 1042. Kana!
- 1043. It's Kana! It's her!
- 1044. Kana!
- 1045. She's cold...
- 1046. Are you okay?
- 1047. Are you hurt?
- 1048. Miyajima.
- 1049. We have to call the police now.
- 1050. "Missing girl found dead
- 1051. "The boy presumed to be Ishii's son"
- 1052. "isn't actually her child."
- 1053. Kobayashi decided to adopt the boy.
- 1054. "March 6"
- 1055. Is it good?
- 1056. Yummy?
- 1057. It's a good omelet, isn't it?
- 1058. Do you remember anything about
living with that woman?
- 1059. Marika, you look very good now.
- 1060. Yes. I've been recovering nicely.
- 1061. All those supernatural things...
- 1062. have stopped happening.
- 1063. Everything's normal now.
- 1064. Have you gone back to work?
- 1065. Yes. I'm going back to work soon.
- 1066. You have to eat it.
- 1067. Okay, let's eat everybody.
- 1068. Let's eat.
- 1069. Yummy.
- 1070. Are you sure?
- 1071. Don't hit me! Ouch...
- 1072. "March 13"
- 1073. "Hori has been committed
to an institution."
- 1074. "No visitors are allowed."
- 1075. "March 17"
- 1076. I looked around for other things
connected to Kagutaba
- 1077. after you left.
- 1078. And I found this in
my grandfather's collection.
- 1079. Here.
- 1080. It says, "Shimokage's Way,
The Kagutaba method."
- 1081. Oh, that's right.
- 1082. I guess this scroll depicts
- 1083. the ritual performed
to summon Kagutaba.
- 1084. These are the monkeys.
- 1085. And the dogs.
- 1086. They sacrificed the baby monkeys
- 1087. and offered them
to the medium to eat.
- 1088. Just like the ancient spell of
the Shimokage sorcery...
- 1089. which used baby monkeys
- 1090. Junko Ishii used
Kana Yano as a medium.
- 1091. She fed Kana the aborted babies...
- 1092. in an attempt to resurrect Kagutaba.
- 1093. It's only my speculation.
- 1094. Now that Junko Ishii's dead
- 1095. we'll never know the truth.
- 1096. I only hope that the Kagutaba curse
has been contained.
- 1097. I guess it's too late
for all of us.
- 1098. "Camera operator, Hisashi Miyajima"
- 1099. "Produced by Masafumi Kobayashi"
- 1100. 2 days after "NOROI, The Curse"
- 1101. The Kobayashi house burned down.
- 1102. Later his wife, Keiko was found dead
in the remains.
- 1103. But Kobayashi wasn't found.
He was declared missing.
- 1104. 3 days after the fire...
- 1105. Mitsuo Hori, who had escaped from
- 1106. was found dead.
- 1107. "Picture of the Dead Man."
- 1108. "Mystery of the man
who died in the duct!"
- 1109. May 19, 2004, a month later
- 1110. a package was delivered to
- 1111. There was no return address.
- 1112. The sender's name was
- 1113. There was a video camera inside.
- 1114. And inside the camera...
- 1115. a video cassette was intact.
- 1116. What's going on, Mr. Hori?
- 1117. Are you okay?
- 1118. Mr. Hori?
- 1119. You...
- 1120. You've been eaten...
- 1121. by the worms!
- 1122. Are you?
- 1123. Excuse me?
- 1124. Why don't you put that rock down?
- 1125. I can hear Kana...
Her voice comes in my head...
- 1126. - In my head... It says...
- What is it?
- 1127. Kagutaba's alive...
- 1128. It lives!
- 1129. What did you say?
- 1130. Kagutaba lives!
- 1131. But Junko Ishii's dead now.
- 1132. Kagutaba has gone now.
- 1133. You'd better go back
to the institution.
- 1134. You should go back.
- 1135. Should I call the police?
- 1136. No... Stop!
- 1137. What are you doing?
- 1138. Stop! What you're doing!
- 1139. Stop it!
- 1140. There he is!
- 1141. What do you want?
- 1142. It's him!
- 1143. He killed Kana...
- 1144. Wait, just a minute.
- 1145. The boy's a victim, too.
- 1146. Kana!
- 1147. Hold on a second!
- 1148. Calm down.
- 1149. You have to listen to me.
- 1150. Just wait a minute.
- 1151. I'll help you with
whatever you need.
- 1152. Let go of the boy, okay?
- 1153. No!
- 1154. Stop it!
- 1155. Are you okay?
- 1156. Kana!
- 1157. Keiko!
- 1158. Mr. Hori!
- 1159. Hori?
- 1160. Mr. Hori...
- 1161. Keiko?
- 1162. Keiko!
- 1163. Keiko!
- 1164. Keiko!
- 1165. Keiko!
- 1166. Keiko!
- 1167. "Masafumi Kobayashi is
still missing today."