- 1. This is our land.
- 2. A land of peace and of plenty.
- 3. A land of harmony and hope.
- 4. This is our land.
- 5. Oceania.
- 6. These are our people.
- 7. The workers, the strivers, the builders.
- 8. These are our people.
- 9. The builders of our world, struggling...
- 10. fighting, bleeding...
- 11. dying.
- 12. On the streets of our cities
and on the far-flung battlefields.
- 13. Fighting against the mutilation
of our hopes and dreams.
- 14. Who are they?
- 15. Eurasia! Eurasia!
- 16. They are the dark armies.
- 17. The dark, murdering armies of Eurasia.
- 18. In the barren deserts of Africa and India...
- 19. on the oceans of Australasia...
- 20. courage, strength, and youth are sacrificed.
- 21. Sacrificed to barbarians,
whose only honor is atrocity.
- 22. But even as we grasp at victory...
- 23. there is a cancer, an evil tumor...
- 24. growing, spreading in our midst.
- 25. Shout, shout...
- 26. shout out his name!
- 27. Goldstein!
- 28. Nothing the Party says is true.
- 29. Nothing the Party does is good.
- 30. Even the war itself isn't real.
- 31. The Party wants you to believe
we are at war...
- 32. so as to channel your aggressions
away from their rightful target...
- 33. the Party.
- 34. Big Brother is not real.
- 35. He is pure fiction, created by the Party.
- 36. The real rulers of the State...
- 37. are unknown, faceless manipulators...
- 38. who, because they are not known...
- 39. are able to wield power
without let or hindrance.
- 40. People of Oceania, you are being duped.
- 41. The Party doesn't serve the people,
it serves itself.
- 42. We are not at war with Eurasia.
- 43. Death! Death! Traitor!
- 44. You are being made into obedient...
- 45. stupid slaves of the Party.
- 46. Open your eyes.
- 47. See the evil that is happening to you.
- 48. The Party drops bombs on its own citizens.
- 49. Traitor!
- 50. It is the Party, not the Eurasians,
who are our enemies.
- 51. Rise up.
- 52. Throw off the yoke.
- 53. You have nothing to lose,
and everything to gain.
- 54. People of Oceania.
- 55. Big, Big, Big"... "
- 56. Innuendo, deleted.
- 57. Intransigence, rendered as crime.
- 58. Inversion...
- 59. Back, Day One.
- 60. Ref". Times" 14-2-84, Page 3,
Byline 2, should read:
- 61. "Miniprod Forecasts Increase
Chocolate Ration, April, 1984...
- 62. "from 20 to 25 Grams Per Week."
- 63. I confess to spreading the rumor,
on orders from Goldstein...
- 64. that the war is not really with Eurasia,
but with Eastasia.
- 65. That, for years, in fact since the days
of our glorious Revolution...
- 66. I had no faith in our future.
- 67. I forged government announcements
and falsified figures...
- 68. quoted for agricultural
and industrial production.
- 69. As a result of mental disturbance from
my experiences during the atomic wars...
- 70. I was a willing subject
of Goldstein's influence.
- 71. I was stubborn and egocentric.
- 72. When ownlife thoughts occurred to me,
I reveled in them.
- 73. I went into the proletarian zones...
- 74. I had sex with prostitutes,
I deliberately contracted syphilis.
- 75. It was at this time
that I made contact with the Resistance.
- 76. I was personally contacted
by the archtraitor, Goldstein...
- 77. and ordered to assassinate
certain Inner Party officials.
- 78. Bugger!
- 79. This I did.
- 80. My agents forged documents
and gained entry into the Ministry...
- 81. "Thought crime is death.
- 82. "Thought crime does not entail death.
- 83. "Thought crime is death.
- 84. "I have committed,
even before setting pen to paper...
- 85. "the essential crime
that contains all others in itself. "
- 86. I have spent many hours
of my free time, encouraging my agents...
- 87. to deface Party posters
and hoarding announcements.
- 88. I read and memorized Goldstein's book.
- 89. For 30 years,
I have plotted to bring down the Party.
- 90. I was sick in mind and body.
- 91. Together with my colleagues,
Aaronson and Rutherford...
- 92. I did counterfeit
important Party documents...
- 93. including ex-London permits
and travel passes.
- 94. And that by use of these documents...
- 95. my agents traveled freely
throughout Airstrip One...
- 96. encouraging insurrection
and organizing a massive counterplot...
- 97. to destroy the innermost faction
of the Oceanian leadership.
- 98. Furthermore...
- 99. I used my position of privilege
within the Inner Party...
- 100. to pervert and betray the truth at all times...
- 101. and to suggest, wherever possible,
that our traditional allies in Eastasia...
- 102. were in fact, our deadly enemies.
- 103. "April the 4th, 1984. "
- 104. In my position as Chief Factory Planner...
- 105. "I think..."
- 106. I stole military plans...
- 107. and, at vast financial profit,
sold them to the Eurasian leadership.
- 108. "... to the past...
- 109. "or to the future...
- 110. "to an age when thought is free.
- 111. "From the age of Big Brother...
- 112. "from the age of the Thought Police...
- 113. "from a dead man...
- 114. "greetings!"
- 115. 30-to-40 group, take your places, please.
- 116. Right, let's see which one of us
can touch his toes.
- 117. Right over from the hips,
brothers and sisters, please.
- 118. One, two.
- 119. Smith? 6079, Smith, W.?
- 120. Yes, you.
- 121. Bend lower.
- 122. You're not trying. Watch me.
- 123. There, brother. That's what I want.
- 124. Anyone under 45 is perfectly
capable of touching his toes.
- 125. I'm 39, and I've had four children.
- 126. We don't all have the privilege
of fighting in the front line.
- 127. Remember our boys on the Malabar Front.
- 128. Just think what they have to put up with.
- 129. Production of water-heaters
is up 1.5 percent.
- 130. Switchgear, 4.5 percent.
- 131. Electrical wiring, 10 percent.
- 132. Cigarettes, 18 percent.
- 133. Bricks, 3 percent.
- 134. Morning, Smith.
- 135. Parsons.
- 136. Heard the rumor?
- 137. No. Good news, is it?
- 138. I should say so, yes.
- 139. Choco rations going up.
- 140. Really?
- 141. Twenty-five grams next week.
- 142. Doubleplus good.
- 143. Speakwrites, 14 percent.
- 144. Vibra-aging castings, 9 percent.
- 145. By the way, Smith, I seem to have run out
of razor blades for some reason.
- 146. You wouldn't happen to have any spare,
- 147. I'm sorry, brother. I'm on the last one.
- 148. Bandages, 9 percent.
- 149. In 1983, Oceania's coal output...
- 150. reached 630 million tons.
- 151. In 1976, coal output was 605 million tons...
- 152. an increase of 4. 1 percent.
- 153. 5.3 million tractors were produced...
- 154. an increase of 17.6 percent.
- 155. 6.1 million trucks...
- 156. I wanted to ask you if you've got
any razor blades?
- 157. I've tried all over the place.
- 158. I've been using the same one for six weeks.
- 159. a staggering increase of 93.4 percent.
- 160. Did you see the prisoners
- 161. No, I was working.
But I shall see it on the screens.
- 162. You'll pick up the gin on the way?
- 163. I'll have two.
- 164. 2.9 million Airstrip One
Mark 5 submachine guns...
- 165. 3.1 million Grenville gas-operated
light machine guns...
- 166. Give me a gin.
- 167. 2.2 million.5 Victory
recoil-operated heavy machine guns...
- 168. 6 million rifle grenades...
- 169. 9 million Perry pineapple pin grenades...
- 170. and 1.4 million lightweight...
- 171. spigot-launching,
anti-tank rocket projectors.
- 172. Food production is also up...
- 173. - How's the Newspeak Committee?
- Working overtime.
- 174. butter, 2 percent, milk, 6 percent.
- 175. Plusbig waste is in adjectives.
- 176. Plusbig problem is timing the language
to scientific advance.
- 177. It's a beautiful thing,
the destruction of words.
- 178. You won't have seen the Dictionary,
10th edition yet, Smith?
- 179. It's that thick.
- 180. The 11th edition will be that thick.
- 181. So the Revolution will be complete
when the language is perfect.
- 182. The secret's to move from translation,
to direct thought, to automatic response.
- 183. No need for self-discipline.
Language coming from here, not from here.
- 184. Excuse me for intruding.
- 185. You're saying that we'll be rid of
the last vestiges of Goldsteinism...
- 186. when the language has been cleaned.
- 187. - I couldn't agree with you more, brother.
- 188. Praise be to our leader
and the Party workers!
- 189. Other munitions production figures
are as follows.
- 190. 70,000 M-20 tank destroyers...
- 191. with 76-mm cannon.
- 192. Smith. Syme.
- 193. It's encouraging to think that by 2050...
- 194. not a single person will be able
to have a conversation like this.
- 195. Except the proles?
- 196. The proletariat don't count. They're animals.
- 197. See the hanging?
- 198. Missed it, myself.
- 199. Bloody committees.
- 200. 35,000 Black Eagle 500 cc motorbicycles.
- 201. Doubleplus good, this.
- 202. You know, I don't think
there's a single piece of meat in this stew.
- 203. Looks like meat. Tastes like meat.
- 204. It isn't meat at all.
- 205. Doubleplus good.
- 206. Not like it, Smith?
- 207. Yes, it's too rich for me.
- 208. Do you mind if I"... "
- 209. Brothers and sisters,
the battle for production has been won.
- 210. Completed returns
show that the standard of living...
- 211. has risen by no less than 20 percent
over the last year.
- 212. All over Oceania there've been spontaneous
demonstrations of Party workers...
- 213. voicing their gratitude and joy!
- 214. In honor of this massive overfulfillment
of the ninth three-year plan...
- 215. it's been announced that chocolate ration
is to be increased to 25 grams per week!
- 216. "If there is hope...
- 217. "it lies in the proles.
- 218. "If they could become conscious
of their own strength...
- 219. "they would have no need to conspire.
- 220. "History does not matter to them.
- 221. "It was three years ago...
- 222. "on a dark evening.
- 223. "Easy to slip the patrols.
- 224. "And I'd gone into the proletarian areas.
- 225. "There was no one else in the street,
and no telescreens.
- 226. "She said, '$2. '
- 227. "So I went with her.
- 228. "She had a young face...
- 229. "painted very thick.
- 230. "It was really the paint that appealed to me...
- 231. "the whiteness of it, like a mask...
- 232. "and the bright red lips."
- 233. Come on.
- 234. "There were no preliminaries.
- 235. "Standing there, with the scent
of dead insects and cheap perfume...
- 236. "I went ahead and did it, just the same."
- 237. Rutherford unperson.
- 238. Substitute Ogilvy.
- 239. Ogilvy bio, details as follows:
- 240. "War hero.
- 241. "Recently killed, Malabar Front.
- 242. "Today awarded posthumous
Order of Conspicuous Merit, Second Class."
- 243. I accuse myself of sabotage...
- 244. embezzlement of Party funds...
- 245. sale of military secrets...
- 246. of being in the pay
of the Government of Eurasia...
- 247. of being a sexual pervert
and a thoughtcriminal.
- 248. I exploited my trusted position
at the Ministry of Peace...
- 249. to mislead our allies in Eastasia...
- 250. and also to corrupt youth by means
of seditious literature and drugs.
- 251. I am guilty on all counts.
- 252. I stand here...
- 253. a victim of the influence of...
- 254. "Under the spreading chestnut tree...
- 255. "I sold you...
- 256. "you sold me."
- 257. And I ask only...
- 258. for you to accept...
- 259. my love of our leader.
- 260. Can I help you?
- 261. Anything special?
- 262. I was here before.
- 263. Razor blades.
- 264. You sold me the notebook.
- 265. Yes.
- 266. Please look around.
- 267. What's this?
- 268. It's a beautiful thing.
- 269. Over 100 years old.
- 270. Cost you $4.
- 271. There's another room upstairs
that you might like to see.
- 272. But there's not much in it.
- 273. Just a few things.
- 274. My woman's dead.
- 275. I'm just trying to sell the furniture.
- 276. It's a beautiful bed...
- 277. if you can get the bugs out of it.
- 278. Interested in old prints at all?
- 279. The frame's fixed to the wall,
but I daresay I could unscrew it.
- 280. How did this escape?
- 281. I know what it is.
- 282. It's the museum in the street
outside the Palace of Justice.
- 283. "Oranges and lemons,"
say the bells of St. Clement's.
- 284. What was that?
- 285. Something old.
- 286. War is peace!
- 287. Freedom is slavery!
- 288. Ignorance is strength!
- 289. A triumph of willpower over the orgasm.
- 290. At a rally of the Anti-Sex League
in Victory Square tonight...
- 291. held to celebrate a 50-percent decrease
in civil marriages...
- 292. over 10,000 Party women
took a vow of celibacy...
- 293. and pledged themselves as vessels
for the artificial insemination...
- 294. "I hate her.
- 295. "I should kill her before she denounces me.
- 296. "I have disliked her
from the first moment of seeing her. "
- 297. Sector 43...
- 298. 929 male...
- 299. 753 female.
- 300. Sector 44...
- 301. 437 male...
- 302. 609 female.
- 303. Sector 45...
- 304. 222 male...
- 305. 220 female.
- 306. Sector 46...
- 307. - Are you hurt?
- It's nothing.
- 308. It's my arm.
- 309. I'll be all right in a second.
- 310. Brother, could you"... "
- 311. Are you all right?
- 312. It's nothing.
- 313. I only gave my wrist a bit of a bang.
- 314. Thank you, brother.
- 315. Who is she?
- 316. All I know is that she works
in the corner section...
- 317. probably on the proletarian
- 318. Mrs. Parsons? A spanner?
- 319. Under the sink, beside you.
- 320. Thank you, brother.
- 321. I wouldn't have had to bother you,
but my husband's out late.
- 322. Committees.
- 323. You know what us Parsons are like.
- 324. You're a thoughtcriminal.
- 325. They haven't been out much.
- 326. Thank you, brother.
- 327. Attention! Your attention, please!
- 328. A newsflash has this moment arrived
from the Malabar Front.
- 329. The forces of Oceania in South India
have won a glorious victory.
- 330. I am authorized to say
that the war against Eurasia...
- 331. is within measurable distance of its end.
- 332. 40,000 Eurasian soldiers
have been killed or captured.
- 333. Can you hear me?
- 334. Yes.
- 335. Do you have an ex-London permit?
- 336. Yes.
- 337. Can you get Sunday afternoon off?
- 338. Yes.
- 339. Take this.
- 340. It's quite precise. I rely on you to destroy it.
- 341. Are you sure you can come?
- 342. Yes.
- 343. On your own, brother?
- 344. No, I'm joining the Vic Mans
community hiking group.
- 345. I was held up on urgent Minrec business.
- 346. Sing to the bravest on the sturdy fortress
- 347. Sing to the soldiers on the battlefields
- 348. Sing to the airmen in the burning azure
- 349. Sing to the farmers' rising yields
- 350. We are the children, builders of the future
- 351. And we the children swear to thee
- 352. Loyal devotion, fearless devotion
- 353. And to die with dignity
- 354. Sing to the faithful...
- 355. A daring and resourceful maneuver...
- 356. under the personal direction
of B.B. himself...
- 357. ensuring the total annihilation of
the Eurasian heavy-armored divisions...
- 358. Look.
- 359. It's a dream.
- 360. I want you.
- 361. Not here.
- 362. Come back to the woods, it's safer.
- 363. Have you done this before?
- 364. Of course.
- 365. Hundreds of times.
- 366. - With Party members?
- 367. Inner Party members?
- 368. Not with those bastards.
Though there's plenty who would.
- 369. Look, I hate purity.
- 370. I hate goodness.
- 371. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere.
- 372. I want everyone corrupt.
- 373. I ought to suit you, then.
- 374. I'm corrupt to the core.
- 375. Do you like doing this?
- 376. I don't mean just me.
- 377. I adore it.
- 378. Winston?
- 379. We shall meet in the place
where there is no darkness.
- 380. Adult literacy amongst the proletariat
has risen by 56 percent.
- 381. The proletarian infant mortality rate
has dropped by 12 percent.
- 382. Incidences of leukemia, tuberculosis,
and meningitis have dropped considerably.
- 383. Improved diet has been responsible
for a dramatic decrease in rickets.
- 384. Eye diseases show a steep drop.
- 385. So, too, do deaths
from pneumonia and smallpox.
- 386. The improvement in
sewerage and drainage systems...
- 387. has resulted in better health, overall.
- 388. State rodent operatives
report a 50-percent reduction...
- 389. in the number of vermin
in the central proletarian zones.
- 390. I just want to finish by saying a few words...
- 391. about the impact
of this imminent neurological breakthrough.
- 392. When the orgasm
has been finally eradicated...
- 393. the last remaining obstacle
to the psychological acceptance...
- 394. of the principles of Ingsoc,
as applied to artsem, will be overcome.
- 395. In other words, the unorthodox tendencies
- 396. which constantly threaten
the natural erosion of the family unit...
- 397. will no longer have
the biological support of the organism.
- 398. As we all know, the biological and
social stimulation of the family leads to...
- 399. private reflection, outside Party needs...
- 400. and to the establishment
of unorthodox loyalties...
- 401. which can only lead to thoughtcrime.
- 402. The introduction of artsem, combined
with the neutralization of the orgasm...
- 403. will effectively render obsolete the family...
- 404. until it becomes impossible
- 405. Thank you.
- 406. Excuse me, brother.
- 407. You dropped your ink pencil.
- 408. Thank you, sister.
- 409. A pincer movement has developed...
- 410. involving the floating fortresses
of the Eurasian 17th Fleet...
- 411. Not much.
- 412. Not much left at all, these days.
- 413. Walls.
- 414. Police don't like us much.
- 415. That room...
- 416. how much?
- 417. $4 a week.
- 418. Traitor!
- 419. Traitor! Criminal!
- 420. Big, Big, Big...
- 421. A vast military buildup
of armored divisions...
- 422. missiles and floating fortresses,
accompanied by a fourfold increase...
- 423. in the number of
radio-controlled rocket bombs...
- 424. directed at the most
densely populated areas of Airstrip One...
- 425. It is folly...
- 426. as though deliberately,
we move one step nearer the grave.
- 427. I can't understand why
she accepted the idea...
- 428. she, who is so careful.
- 429. Hello.
- 430. Let me show you what I've brought.
- 431. Look.
- 432. What is it?
- 433. Real sugar.
- 434. Not saccharin.
- 435. And I've got a loaf of bread,
proper white bread...
- 436. and jam.
- 437. A real tin of milk.
- 438. Look.
- 439. Coffee.
- 440. Real coffee.
- 441. Inner Party. Half a kilo.
- 442. How did you manage
to get ahold of all this?
- 443. There's nothing those bastards don't have.
- 444. Aren't you pleased?
- 445. Yes.
- 446. Of course.
- 447. Real tea.
- 448. There's been a lot of tea about lately.
- 449. They've captured India or something.
- 450. I want you.
- 451. I want you, too.
- 452. Wait.
- 453. Turn around, and don't look until I tell you.
- 454. Listen to that.
- 455. How can she make a song
written by a machine sound so beautiful?
- 456. You can turn around now.
- 457. - I...
- 458. Do you like me?
- 459. More than ever.
- 460. Was there ever a time
when this seemed ordinary?
- 461. Attention! Your attention, please!
- 462. A vast military buildup
has been reported in the Sahara Desert...
- 463. sectors 17 and 18 of the war zone.
- 464. 14 heavy-tank divisions...
- 465. "There is truth, and there is untruth."
- 466. have been sighted proceeding in convoy
in a northerly direction...
- 467. "Freedom...
- 468. "is the freedom to say
two plus two equals four.
- 469. "If that is granted...
- 470. "all else follows."
- 471. That is the end of the announcement.
- 472. We'll rehab the war from a neutral zone,
remaking dust in interstate plusplan levels.
- 473. Intend ego 1980 level
in dust output by 48 percent.
- 474. Stop, end emission.
- 475. Re: "Times", 31-10-81.
- 476. Brother Tillotson wins Mini chess.
Request photo. File follows.
- 477. Attention. Your attention, please.
- 478. Will all Outer Party members
of Ways and Means Committees...
- 479. please attend their local
community centers for discussions and...
- 480. "Under the spreading chestnut tree...
- 481. "I sold you, you sold me."
- 482. The meetings begin at 20... 00 hours.
- 483. Smith?
- 484. I've been reading
your Newspeak articles in "The Times."
- 485. Yes.
- 486. You write very elegantly.
That is not my own opinion.
- 487. I was recently talking to a friend of yours,
who is an expert.
- 488. His name has slipped my memory
for a moment.
- 489. What I wanted to say was, that there were
one or two unwords, only very recent.
- 490. Have you seen the 10th edition
of the Newspeak Dictionary?
- 491. No, we're still using
the 9th edition at Minrec.
- 492. A few advance copies
have been segregated. I have one myself.
- 493. You might be interested.
- 494. Yes.
- 495. There are some plus skillful
- 496. Let me give you my address.
- 497. I'm usually at home in the evenings.
- 498. If not, my servant
will give you the dictionary.
- 499. 14,000 Victory Vampires...
- 500. 6, 700 Ingsoc cadets...
- 501. 4,600 Ingsoc sea cadets...
- 502. 12,300 Porteous piloted missiles...
- 503. 31,000 Victory fighter bombers...
- 504. 23,000 Big Brother heavy bombers.
- 505. "It has happened at last.
- 506. "The call has come.
- 507. "It seems that all my life...
- 508. "I've been waiting for it."
- 509. is to be named after
- 510. hero of the State of Oceania...
- 511. recently awarded, posthumously,
the Order of Conspicuous Gallantry...
- 512. for his action
in the recent glorious victory...
- 513. over the forces of Eastasia
on the Malabar Front, in South India.
- 514. Half the water's boiled away.
- 515. What does the clock say?
- 516. It says 21:00 hours.
- 517. What time do they cut the light
in your flats?
- 518. 23:30.
- 519. At the hostel it's 23:00.
- 520. What is it?
- 521. I don't know.
- 522. A little chunk of history
that they've forgotten to alter.
- 523. Message from 100 years ago.
- 524. "Oranges and lemons,"
say the bells of St. Clement's.
- 525. "You owe me three farthings,"
say the bells of St. Martin's."
- 526. Who taught you that? What is it?
- 527. I don't know. I just know it.
- 528. You know, the only thing to do...
- 529. is to walk out of here before it's too late...
- 530. and never see one another again.
- 531. Yes.
- 532. Our luck can't last.
- 533. You're young...
- 534. you look normal, you're innocent.
- 535. You keep clear of people like me,
and you might stay alive.
- 536. What you do, I do.
- 537. I've thought it out.
- 538. I'm good at staying alive.
- 539. When shall we meet again?
- 540. Not for several weeks. It's not safe.
- 541. Give me half an hour.
- 542. I love you.
- 543. Julia...
- 544. Do you think the Resistance is real?
- 545. No.
- 546. None of it's real.
- 547. Steamer! Dead overhead! Get down!
- 548. round the clock, plus a 153 sets
in eyes top a P.M.A. Willmer.
- 549. "Oceania is at war with Eastasia.
- 550. "Oceania has always been
at war with Eastasia.
- 551. "Eurasia is our ally.
Eurasia has always been our ally.
- 552. "Everything fades into mist.
- 553. "The past is erased, the erasure forgotten.
- 554. "A lie becomes truth
and then becomes a lie again."
- 555. What is it?
- 556. I dreamt...
- 557. about my mother.
- 558. What, darling?
- 559. It was during the wars...
- 560. before the Party.
- 561. Winston!
- 562. I couldn't help myself.
- 563. I knew what I had done...
- 564. and I couldn't help myself.
- 565. When I went back, hours later...
- 566. my mother and sister were gone.
- 567. I never saw them again.
- 568. So it's not just staying alive.
- 569. It's staying human that's important.
- 570. What counts...
- 571. is that we don't betray each other.
- 572. If you mean confessing,
we're bound to do that.
- 573. Everybody does.
- 574. You can't help it.
- 575. I don't mean confessing.
- 576. Confessing isn't betrayal.
- 577. I mean feelings.
- 578. If they can make me change my feelings...
- 579. they can stop me from loving you.
- 580. That will be real betrayal.
- 581. They can't do that.
- 582. It's the one thing they can't do.
- 583. They can torture you...
- 584. and make you say anything.
- 585. But they can't make you believe it.
- 586. They can't get inside you.
- 587. They can't get to your heart.
- 588. I'm going to see O'Brien.
- 589. I know.
- 590. Outer Party Member 53922...
- 591. Hicks, Minirec, Proletarian Affairs Section.
- 592. Outer Party Member 22315...
- 593. Howard, Miniprod, Hospital Section.
- 594. Outer Party Member 947743...
- 595. Bolgar, Minitrue, Records Section.
- 596. Outer Party Member 5739,
Brady, Minitrue, Records Section.
- 597. Outer Party Member 984213...
- 598. Devereux, Minitrue, Records Section.
- 599. Outer Party member 9106...
- 600. Dawes, Minitrue, Porno Section.
- 601. Outer Party Member 38091...
- 602. Ware, Minitrue, Porno Section.
- 603. Outer Party Member 11792...
- 604. Bigland, Minitrue, News Section.
- 605. "Items one, comma, five, comma, seven,
approved fullwise. Stop.
- 606. "Suggestion contained item six doubleplus
ridiculous verging crimethink...
- 607. "Cancel, stop. End message."
- 608. Outer Party Member 4392...
- 609. Rosenblum, Miniprod,
Light Industry Section.
- 610. Outer Party Member 66755...
- 611. Davis, Miniprod, Women's Section.
- 612. That concludes the list
of known agents of Goldstein...
- 613. actively engaged in the latest conspiracy...
- 614. Not much of this gets
to the Outer Party, I'm afraid.
- 615. To our leader.
- 616. that our eternal allies in Eurasia
are turning against us.
- 617. More nests of conspirators
and saboteurs have been uncovered...
- 618. and further arrests are expected shortly.
- 619. You can...
- 620. Yes. We are allowed that privilege.
- 621. Some more of this?
- 622. It's called wine.
- 623. There are thoughtcriminals
who maintain the Resistance is not real.
- 624. Believe me, Winston...
- 625. it is very real.
- 626. Perhaps you are not familiar
with how it operates.
- 627. I'm attentive to the news.
- 628. Indeed.
- 629. Perhaps you imagine
a huge network of conspirators...
- 630. prepared to commit
any atrocity to demoralize...
- 631. and weaken the order of our society.
- 632. The reality is infinitely more subtle.
- 633. If Goldstein himself...
- 634. fell into the hands of the Thought Police,
he could not give them a list of his agents.
- 635. Such a list does not exist.
- 636. They're not an organization
in the sense we know.
- 637. Nothing holds it together but an idea.
- 638. There is no possibility of change
in their lifetime.
- 639. In the face of the Thought Police...
- 640. they cannot act collectively.
- 641. Individually, they cheat...
- 642. forge, blackmail, corrupt children...
- 643. spread disease and prostitution...
- 644. in the name of spreading knowledge
from generation to generation.
- 645. Until...
- 646. in a thousand years...
- 647. You may find this of interest.
- 648. Thank you.
- 649. address a rally in Victory Square
at 21... 30 hours.
- 650. That is the end of the announcement.
- 651. Goodbye, brother.
- 652. They have attacked an unarmed village
with rocket bombs...
- 653. and murdered 4,000 defenseless, innocent...
- 654. and peaceful citizens of Oceania.
- 655. This is no longer war.
- 656. This is cold-blooded murder.
- 657. Until now, the war has been conducted
- 658. and bravery...
- 659. with the ideals of truth and justice,
in the best traditions of mankind...
- 660. until this moment.
- 661. Brothers and sisters...
- 662. the endless catalogue of bestial atrocities...
- 663. which will inevitably ensue
from this appalling act...
- 664. must, can, and will be terminated.
- 665. The forces of darkness
and treasonable maggots...
- 666. who collaborate with them,
must, can, and will...
- 667. be wiped from the face of the earth.
- 668. We must crush them.
- 669. We must smash them.
- 670. We must stamp them out.
- 671. We, the people of Oceania...
- 672. will not rest until a final victory
has been achieved.
- 673. Death to the eternal enemy of Oceania.
- 674. Death!
- 675. Brothers and sisters...
- 676. one week from now...
- 677. in this very square...
- 678. we shall,
as a demonstration of our resolve...
- 679. as a sure sign to those
who attempt to threaten...
- 680. our Party and our State...
- 681. we shall execute publicly...
- 682. the same number of Eastasian prisoners...
- 683. by hanging, drawing and quartering.
- 684. Big, Big, Big...
- 685. "In accordance to the principles
- 686. "it does not matter if the war is not real...
- 687. "or when it is, that victory is not possible.
- 688. "The war is not meant to be won.
It is meant to be continuous.
- 689. "The essential act of modern warfare...
- 690. "is the destruction of the produce
of human labor.
- 691. "A hierarchical society is only possible
on the basis of poverty and ignorance.
- 692. "In principle,
the war effort is always planned...
- 693. "to keep society on the brink of starvation.
- 694. "The war is waged by the ruling group
against its own subjects.
- 695. "And its object is not victory
over Eurasia or Eastasia...
- 696. "but to keep the very structure
of society intact."
- 697. Julia?
- 698. Are you awake?
- 699. There is truth, and there is untruth.
- 700. To be in a minority of one
doesn't make you mad.
- 701. Julia, my love...
- 702. I understand how.
- 703. I don't understand why.
- 704. I'm hungry.
- 705. Let's make some more coffee.
- 706. The water's cold.
- 707. There's no oil in it.
- 708. That's strange. I thought it was full.
- 709. They say that time heals all things
- 710. They say you can always forget
- 711. But the smiles and the tears
- 712. across the years
- 713. they twist my heartstrings yet.
- 714. She's beautiful.
- 715. She's a meter across the hips. Easily.
- 716. It's her style of beauty.
- 717. The future is hers.
- 718. We are the dead.
- 719. We are the dead.
- 720. You are the dead.
- 721. Remain exactly where you are.
- 722. Make no move until you are ordered.
- 723. Now they can see us.
- 724. Now we can see you.
- 725. Clasp your hands behind your heads.
- 726. Stand out in the middle of the room.
- 727. Do not touch one another.
- 728. The house is surrounded.
- 729. The house is surrounded.
- 730. I suppose we may as well say goodbye.
- 731. You may as well say goodbye.
While we're on the subject...
- 732. "Here comes a candle to light you to bed.
- 733. "Here comes a chopper
to chop off your head."
- 734. Pick that up.
- 735. Thought Police.
- 736. 6079 Smith. Open your eyes.
- 737. Parsons.
- 738. Keep away from me, Smith.
- 739. I'm an agent of Goldstein.
- 740. I didn't know it myself.
- 741. Thoughtcrime is so insidious.
- 742. It just creeps up on you.
- 743. My daughter found it out.
- 744. Very proud of her.
- 745. Very grateful I've been discovered
before it's too late.
- 746. They won't shoot me, will they, Smith?
- 747. I know I could be very useful
in a labor camp.
- 748. Room 101.
- 749. No.
- 750. Please, you don't have to take me there.
- 751. Why?
- 752. There's nothing I won't confess.
- 753. Nothing.
- 754. I've told you everything already.
- 755. What is it you want me to know?
- 756. Take him instead of me.
- 757. He's the thoughtcriminal. It's him you want.
- 758. They got you, too.
- 759. They got me a long time ago.
- 760. You knew this would happen, Winston.
- 761. Don't deceive yourself.
You've always known it.
- 762. The photos of you and the girl
will be recycled for proletarian use.
- 763. Do you know where you are, Winston?
- 764. I don't know.
- 765. I can guess.
- 766. In the Ministry of Love.
- 767. Do you know how long you've been here?
- 768. No.
- 769. Weeks?
- 770. Months?
- 771. Do you know why you're here?
- 772. Shall I tell you why we brought you here?
- 773. To cure you.
- 774. To make you sane.
- 775. That was 40.
- 776. You can see that the numbers
on this dial run up to 100.
- 777. Will you please remember
that, during our conversation?
- 778. I have it in my power
to inflict pain on you at any time...
- 779. and in whatever degree I choose.
- 780. You know perfectly well
what is the matter with you, Winston.
- 781. You've known it for years, though
you've fought against the knowledge.
- 782. You are mentally deranged.
- 783. You suffer from a defective memory.
- 784. You never tried to cure yourself of it,
because you did not choose to.
- 785. It was a small effort of will,
which you were not ready to make.
- 786. For example...
- 787. which power is Oceania at war with?
- 788. Eastasia.
- 789. Oceania is at war with Eastasia.
- 790. Eastasia.
- 791. Good.
- 792. And Oceania has always been at war
with Eastasia, has it not?
- 793. Tell me what you think you remember.
- 794. I remember...
- 795. that until only a week
before I was arrested...
- 796. we weren't at war with Eastasia at all.
- 797. It was Eurasia.
- 798. That lasted four years, I think.
- 799. Another example.
- 800. A serious delusion.
- 801. Photographs about which
you've had hallucinations...
- 802. which you believed you held in your hand.
- 803. They never existed.
- 804. Say what you were about to say, Winston.
- 805. They exist...
- 806. in memory.
- 807. I remember.
- 808. You remember.
- 809. I do not remember.
- 810. Only the disciplined mind
can see reality, Winston.
- 811. It needs an act of self-destruction...
- 812. an effort of the will.
- 813. Do you remember writing in your diary:
- 814. "Freedom is the freedom to say
two plus two equals four?"
- 815. Yes.
- 816. How many fingers am I holding up?
- 817. Four.
- 818. And if the Party says there are not four,
but five, then how many?
- 819. Five.
- 820. No.
- 821. That's no use. You're lying.
- 822. How many fingers, please?
- 823. Four. What else could I say?
- 824. Five, or anything you like.
Will you please stop it?
- 825. Stop the pain.
- 826. How can I help it?
- 827. How can I help
what I see in front of my eyes?
- 828. Two and two makes four.
- 829. Sometimes, Winston.
- 830. Sometimes they are five,
sometimes they are three.
- 831. Sometimes they are all of them at once.
- 832. Neither the past, nor the present,
nor the future...
- 833. exists in its own right.
- 834. Reality is in the human mind...
- 835. not in the individual mind...
- 836. which makes mistakes and soon perishes...
- 837. but in the mind of the Party...
- 838. which is collective and immortal.
- 839. - Again.
- 840. How many fingers, Winston?
- 841. Four.
- 842. Four, I suppose there are four.
- 843. I tried to see five.
- 844. I wish I could.
- 845. Which do you wish?
- 846. To persuade me that you can see five,
or really to see them?
- 847. Really to see them.
- 848. Again.
- 849. How many, Winston?
- 850. I don't know.
- 851. Better.
- 852. No one escapes, Winston.
There are no martyrs here.
- 853. All the confessions made here are true.
- 854. We do not destroy the heretic
because he resists us.
- 855. As long as he resists us,
we never destroy him.
- 856. We make him one of ourselves
before we kill him.
- 857. We make his brain perfect
before we blow it out.
- 858. And then...
- 859. when there is nothing left
but sorrow and love of Big Brother...
- 860. we shall lift you clean out of history.
- 861. We shall turn you into gas
and pour you into the stratosphere.
- 862. Nothing will remain of you.
- 863. Not a name in a register.
- 864. Not a memory in a living brain.
- 865. You will be annihilated in the past,
as well as in the future.
- 866. Three thousand.
- 867. This time it won't hurt you.
- 868. Before we bring this session to an end...
- 869. I want you to ask me your questions.
- 870. I want you to clear your mind.
- 871. Julia.
- 872. She betrayed you, Winston...
- 873. immediately, unreservedly.
- 874. All her rebellion, deceit,
- 875. has been turned out of her.
- 876. Does Big Brother exist?
- 877. Of course.
- 878. The same way as me?
- 879. You do not exist.
- 880. You've not asked me the question
that is uppermost in your mind.
- 881. You know what is in Room 101.
- 882. Everyone knows what's in Room 101.
- 883. Now...
- 884. fix your eyes on mine.
- 885. What country is Oceania at war with?
- 886. I don't remember.
- 887. Oceania is at war with Eastasia.
- 888. Do you remember that now?
- 889. Yes.
- 890. How many fingers am I holding up?
- 891. Five.
- 892. You see, at least, that it is possible.
- 893. You've understood the reality of the past...
- 894. and of the present.
- 895. Now for the future.
- 896. A question:
- 897. "How does one man
assert power over another?"
- 898. By making him suffer.
- 899. Exactly. Obedience is not enough.
- 900. Power is inflicting pain and humiliation.
Otherwise, you cannot be sure.
- 901. Power is tearing human minds apart...
- 902. and putting them together again
in new shapes of your own choosing.
- 903. Power is not a means, it is an end.
- 904. In our world, there will only be triumph
- 905. Everything else, we shall destroy.
- 906. The past is forbidden. Why?
- 907. Because when we can cut man
from his own past...
- 908. then we can cut him from his family,
his children, other men.
- 909. There is no loyalty,
except loyalty to the Party.
- 910. There is no love, except love of Big Brother.
- 911. All competing pleasures, we will destroy.
- 912. If you want a vision of the future, imagine...
- 913. a boot stamping on a human face forever.
- 914. You are thinking
that my face is old and tired...
- 915. that while I talk of power...
- 916. I'm unable to prevent
the decay of my own body.
- 917. But the individual is only a cell.
- 918. And the weariness of the cell
is the vigor of the organism.
- 919. - You'll fail.
- 920. It's impossible.
- 921. Hatred, the fear of life.
- 922. Why is hate less vital than love?
- 923. I don't know.
- 924. But somehow you'll fail.
- 925. Something will defeat you.
- 926. Life will defeat you.
- 927. We control life at all levels.
- 928. We create human nature.
- 929. Men are infinitely malleable.
- 930. Or perhaps you've returned to your old idea
that the proletarians will arise.
- 931. Put it out of your mind.
- 932. They are helpless animals.
- 933. Humanity is the body.
- 934. I don't care. In the end, they'll beat you.
- 935. Sooner or later, they'll tear you to pieces.
- 936. On what evidence?
- 937. Goldstein's book.
- 938. I wrote it.
Or, at least, I collaborated in writing it.
- 939. No book is individually produced,
as you know.
- 940. I just believe it.
- 941. I know you'll fail.
- 942. Something in this world...
- 943. some spirit you will never overcome"... "
- 944. What is it, this principle?
- 945. I don't know.
- 946. The spirit of man.
- 947. And do you consider yourself a man?
- 948. Yes.
- 949. If you are a man, you're the last man.
- 950. Your kind is extinct.
- 951. We are the inheritors.
- 952. Do you understand that you are alone?
- 953. You are outside history.
- 954. You unexist.
- 955. Get up.
- 956. Come here.
- 957. Look at you.
- 958. You're rotting away.
- 959. That is the last man.
- 960. If you are human, that is humanity.
- 961. It will not last forever.
- 962. You can escape from it
whenever you choose.
- 963. Everything depends on you.
- 964. You did it.
- 965. You reduced me to this.
- 966. No, Winston.
- 967. You reduced yourself to it.
- 968. When will you shoot me?
- 969. Might take a long time.
- 970. But don't give up hope.
- 971. Everyone is cured sooner or later.
- 972. And in the end...
- 973. we shall shoot you.
- 974. The law of gravity is nonsense.
- 975. No such law exists.
- 976. If I think I float...
- 977. and you think I float...
- 978. then it happens.
- 979. I love you.
- 980. You have the strength, Winston.
You have the whole Party.
- 981. You are the Party.
- 982. You're one of us, one of the chosen.
- 983. I love you.
- 984. I love you, too.
- 985. Julia, my love.
- 986. Get up.
- 987. Stand up straighter.
- 988. Look me in the face.
- 989. Tell me, Winston, and remember, no lies.
- 990. What are your true feelings
towards Big Brother?
- 991. - I hate him.
- You must love him.
- 992. It's not enough to obey him.
- 993. You must love him.
- 994. Room 101.
- 995. You asked me once, Winston,
what was in Room 101.
- 996. I told you that you knew, already.
- 997. The thing that is in Room 101...
- 998. is the worst thing in the world.
- 999. It goes beyond fear of pain or death.
- 1000. It is unendurable,
and it varies from individual to individual.
- 1001. It may be burial alive or castration...
- 1002. or many other things.
- 1003. In your case, it is rats.
- 1004. No.
- 1005. Please. What do you want me to do?
- 1006. You will do what is required of you.
- 1007. What? What is it?
- 1008. How can I do it if I don't know what it is?
- 1009. In the proletarian areas,
they will attack a baby...
- 1010. and within five minutes, strip it to the bone.
- 1011. They also attack the sick and dying.
- 1012. They show astonishing intelligence
in knowing when a human being is helpless.
- 1013. Please.
- 1014. The mask fits over your head,
leaving no exit.
- 1015. I press the first lever...
- 1016. and the rats move into
the front compartment.
- 1017. I press the second,
and the door of the cage will slide up.
- 1018. These starving brutes
will shoot at you like bullets.
- 1019. Have you ever seen a rat
leap through the air?
- 1020. They will leap onto your face
and bore straight into it.
- 1021. Sometimes they attack the eyes first.
- 1022. Sometimes they burrow through the cheeks
and devour the tongue.
- 1023. Tell me. What do you want?
- 1024. No, please.
- 1025. I love you.
- 1026. Do it to her! Do it to Julia!
- 1027. I don't care what you do to her,
but do it to her!
- 1028. Tear her my face off!
Do it to Julia, not to me!
- 1029. Do it to Julia!
- 1030. Not me!
- 1031. A vast military buildup has been reported
in the Sahara Desert...
- 1032. in Sectors 17 and 18 of the war zones.
- 1033. That is the end of the announcement.
- 1034. Brother.
- 1035. On the house.
- 1036. Thank you for coming.
- 1037. You are warned to stand by
for an important announcement at 15... 30.
- 1038. This is news of
the gravest national consequence...
- 1039. concerning the war with Eurasia.
- 1040. 15... 30.
- 1041. Are you worried about the African front?
- 1042. The news is disquieting in the extreme.
I've been worrying about it all day.
- 1043. It's not just a question of losing Africa.
- 1044. For the first time, the territory of Oceania
itself is threatened by invasion.
- 1045. It's inconceivable.
- 1046. It must have been possible
to outflank them in some way.
- 1047. I have an instinct.
- 1048. There's bad news on the way.
- 1049. I told them all about you.
- 1050. I'm only thankful they got me
before it was too late.
- 1051. Yes, I told them about you, too.
- 1052. Thoughtcrime...
- 1053. sexcrime, all your treachery.
- 1054. I have a meeting to go to.
- 1055. We must meet again.
- 1056. Yes.
- 1057. We must meet again.
- 1058. I accuse myself of the following crimes...
- 1059. I have seduced Party members
of both sexes...
- 1060. I've been to the proletarian areas...
- 1061. I deliberately contracted syphilis
in order to spread the disease...
- 1062. to my wife and other Party members.
- 1063. Together with other agents,
I have counterfeited banknotes...
- 1064. wrecked industrial machinery,
polluted the water supply...
- 1065. guided Eurasian rocket bombs
to targets on Airstrip One...
- 1066. by means of coded radio signals.
- 1067. I stand here, a victim of the influence
of Emmanuel Goldstein.
- 1068. Guilty on all counts.
- 1069. I'm glad I was caught.
I was mentally deranged.
- 1070. Now I am cured.
- 1071. I ask only for you to accept
my love of our leader.
- 1072. I ask only to be shot
while my mind is still clean.
- 1073. A glorious victory!
- 1074. A vast, strategic maneuver to outflank...
- 1075. the Eurasian Forces on the African front
has been successful.
- 1076. Perfectly coordinated, it has resulted
in the utter rout of the Eurasian Army.
- 1077. There have been nearly a million prisoners.
It has been an utter rout.
- 1078. Waiter?
- 1079. This immense victory brings the war
within measurable distance of its end.
- 1080. Wonderful news.
- 1081. I love you.