- 1. What?
- 2. I said you look beautiful tonight.
- 3. I can't hear you!
- 4. I said
you look beautiful tonight, baby!
- 5. Whoo!
- 6. Whoo!
- 7. I'm a little wavy. But life is good.
- 8. - Because we fucking did it!
- Did what?
- 9. I wrote and directed and premiered a movie
- 10. that knocked the audience
the fuck out tonight.
- 11. Did you see that?
- 12. - Did you see that audience?
- 13. - Baby, did you see that audience?
- 14. I said, did you see the audience?
- 15. Man, I delivered a fucking knockout punch.
- 16. The last eight minutes straight,
they were sobbing
- 17. and when the credits hit,
it was like a fucking bomb.
- 18. It's like a bomb went off.
- 19. It feels good.
- 20. I cannot believe this is real.
Baby, I can't believe this is real.
- 21. Afterwards, I talked to six critics.
Six or seven of 'em.
- 22. They was all on a nigga.
- 23. You feel me?
- 24. The white guy from Variety loved it.
The white guy from IndieWire loved it.
- 25. The white woman
from the LA Times, she really loved it.
- 26. She kept saying
that I'm the next Spike Lee,
- 27. the next Barry Jenkins,
the next John Singleton.
- 28. I just looked at her, like,
"What about William Wyler?"
- 29. You could tell, for three whole seconds,
she was like, "Was William Wyler Black?"
- 30. Sh-yeah!
- 31. And then she realized,
"Oh… shit. That's racist too."
- 32. She got flushed. Face red.
That shit had me dying.
- 33. Marie, that was hilarious.
- 34. And she kept stumbling
over her words, saying shit like,
- 35. "The movie was so emotional."
- 36. "I— Malcolm, I couldn't even
think straight. Oh, my God, Malcolm."
- 37. "Just, just, Malcolm. Malcolm."
- 38. "Oh."
- 39. Yeah, it was like a super white moment.
- 40. What was interesting, though,
- 41. was that you can tell that
because I'm Black, as the director,
- 42. and the woman
is a Black lead, stars in the film,
- 43. she's already trying to frame it
through a political lens,
- 44. when in reality, it's a film
about a girl trying to get clean.
- 45. Now, are there certain obstacles,
because she's a Black woman?
- 46. I mean, hell yeah.
- 47. Right? That's reality, too,
but it's not a film about race.
- 48. No. It's about shame, it's about guilt,
and how that shit is inescapable.
- 49. And it annoys me
that so many of these journalists
- 50. can't help but to flex
their college education.
- 51. Malcolm, you have a college education.
- 52. Yeah, but I'm not academic, baby.
I'm not elitist about my shit.
- 53. I'm not trying to make a film
for the three people
- 54. in my media studies class that I respect.
- 55. - I am a filmmaker.
- 56. - Right?
- 57. - Am I a filmmaker, baby? That's right.
- 58. And I'm going to be part of the larger
conversation about filmmaking
- 59. without always having
some white-ass writer
- 60. making it about race
'cause it's fucking convenient.
- 61. You know, I could see—
I could see the reviews now.
- 62. It goes something like this.
This is how they be writin' and shit.
- 63. "This film
is an acute study of the horrors…"
- 64. They like to use words like that.
- 65. "…the horrors of systemic racism
in this mental healthcare industry."
- 66. Instead of it being a commercial film
- 67. about a drug-addicted girl
trying to get her shit together.
- 68. I mean, these people,
these fucking people are so pedantic.
- 69. They are. I mean, we get it.
- 70. You're smart. We get it.
You're woke. We get it.
- 71. Let us, us artists,
have some fucking fun with the shit.
- 72. Let us have fun with the art.
- 73. Malcolm, you're writing
the Angela Davis biopic right now.
- 74. Yeah, but that's different.
- 75. I'm choosing to make a film
that's fundamentally political,
- 76. but not everything I do
is political because I'm Black.
- 77. Yeah, I think Angela Davis
would disagree with you.
- 78. - She— She would, huh?
- 79. For real, though, like,
if I decide to make…
- 80. a fucking LEGO movie,
it's not because I want to tell a story
- 81. about how the building blocks
of the American empire was slave labor.
- 82. I may just wanna make a LEGO movie.
- 83. - You don't wanna make a LEGO movie.
- Yeah, that's true.
- 84. But that LEGO movie was fire.
That shit was heat! Right?
- 85. And you've never gotten
a good review in your life.
- 86. Damn, baby, that's… You right, though.
- 87. And you're complaining about reviews
that haven't yet been written.
- 88. Right again.
- 89. So, stop. Makes you sound like an asshole.
- 90. Yeah.
- 91. But shit,
you know what I'm saying, though.
- 92. Yeah, but save it for another day.
- 93. Yeah.
- 94. You're complaining
about the white girl from LA Times
- 95. 'cause she gave you
a bad review that one time.
- 96. Aw, she didn't just give a bad review.
- 97. She gave a dumb-ass review.
There is a difference.
- 98. Malcolm, you won. Okay?
- 99. She's comparing you
to Spike Lee and Barry Jenkins.
- 100. But she's such a mediocre-ass writer.
- 101. Fine, you're not
the next Spike Lee or Barry Jenkins.
- 102. - Doubt she knows who William Wyler is.
- I don't know William Wyler.
- 103. - Is it ready, babe?
- 104. Here comes the mac and cheese.
- 105. - You don't know who William Wyler is?
- 106. Oh, man.
He did The Best Years of Our Lives.
- 107. Sh— Shit was heat. Ben-Hur?
- 108. He's one of the most
versatile filmmakers of all time.
- 109. I mean, Wuthering Heights.
- 110. Heads-up.
- 111. Roman Holiday.
- 112. Yeah, some classics.
- 113. It's different, though.
You don't work in film.
- 114. You're right, Malcolm, I don't.
- 115. Did you have fun tonight?
- 116. "Nice."
- 117. The entire night while I was talking to
all those sweet, smiling, rich people who,
- 118. a month ago, wouldn't give me the time
of day, I just kept looking at you.
- 119. And I think to myself, "God, you're the
most gorgeous creature on planet Earth."
- 120. And the sexiest too.
- 121. I mean, there's nobody sexier.
Even Anthony said it.
- 122. Hmm.
- 123. I mean, not in a bad way.
- 124. - In a positive way.
- 125. When I'd see you…
- 126. with your cranberry and soda…
- 127. smiling, chopping it up…
- 128. And I'd think,
"God, how fucking lucky am I?"
- 129. - I couldn't wait to get you home.
- Aww, that's so sweet.
- 130. Hold your cute little ass and kiss it.
- 131. Tell you that I love you.
- 132. I love you, Marie.
- 133. - Do you want salted or unsalted butter?
- I'll just have you.
- 134. What was that?
- 135. - What?
- That was a fake-ass smile.
- 136. - No, it wasn't.
- Swear to God, it was.
- 137. No, it wasn't. It was nothing.
- 138. Bullshit, I can fucking read you.
I know when nothing is something.
- 139. Well, maybe you can't read me.
- 140. No, I can read you.
- 141. - I haven't eaten all night.
- That's not what this is.
- 142. It's 1:00 in the morning.
Can we eat and go to sleep?
- 143. Please, Marie.
I really don't wanna fight tonight.
- 144. Neither do I.
That is why I'm making you mac and cheese.
- 145. So you are angry.
- 146. No.
- 147. - Was it the thing that Anthony said?
- 148. - The joke about you being a model?
- 149. Wouldn't take it seriously.
He's old and from a totally different era.
- 150. I didn't take it personally.
- 151. - Promise?
- 152. - Was it Taylor?
- 153. - You sure?
- 154. - I know you get weird around Taylor.
- I do not get weird around Taylor.
- 155. - You get meek.
- "Meek"? Huh, really?
- 156. - Well, you don't talk a lot.
- Well, that's different from being meek.
- 157. - I just mean—
- 158. Meek implies that I'm shy or small.
That she's the queen of fucking England.
- 159. - I didn't mean it like that. I meant—
- 160. What?
- 161. - She's a movie star.
- 162. - She's about to become a movie star.
- Don't jinx her, Malcolm.
- 163. I have nothing nice to say to Taylor,
so I don't talk to Taylor.
- 164. - It has nothing to do with being meek.
- It's just… she notices.
- 165. Really?
- 166. - Really.
- How do you know?
- 167. - 'Cause I just do.
- 168. She sees how you are with other people.
You're talkative. You're funny.
- 169. What can I say? I'm personable.
- 170. Right.
Which is what makes her insecure.
- 171. What does? Other fucking
human beings with personalities?
- 172. No. The fact that
you're not yourself and she sees it.
- 173. She'll survive.
- 174. Hmm.
- 175. So why you angry?
- 176. Marie, you're angry.
- 177. Marie, what you angry about?
- 178. Marie.
- 179. Marie?
- 180. Marie!
- 181. Marie.
- 182. Marie, talk to me.
- 183. I promise you, it's not a good idea.
Let's just talk tomorrow.
- 184. - But you're upset with me.
- It's not that big of a deal.
- 185. I can't go to bed knowing you're angry.
- 186. Malcolm, I promise you,
- 187. nothing productive
is going to be said tonight.
- 188. - How do you know?
- Because I know you.
- 189. - What does that mean?
- And I love you.
- 190. What does that mean?
- 191. It means you are literally incapable
of de-escalating a situation
- 192. unless it's work-related.
Even then, it's 50-50.
- 193. Why is it
that anytime anything good happens,
- 194. you have to find something, anything,
- 195. the most minor fucking detail
to harp on, to make ugly,
- 196. to ensure that there's no reason
to fucking celebrate.
- 197. - Really? You wanna go there?
- 198. - Okay.
- All right, then. What is it?
- 199. - Your speech, Malcolm.
- Oh, give me a break.
- 200. You're outside of your mind.
- 201. When I said you find the most minor detail
to make it ugly, I meant it.
- 202. You forgot to thank me, Malcolm.
It's not a minor detail. That's a big one.
- 203. But I've thanked you
a million times before.
- 204. You know that I'm thankful.
You know I'm appreciative.
- 205. You know I made a mistake,
so why turn it into something more?
- 206. Because it is more.
- 207. What?
- 208. It's our entire fucking
relationship in a nutshell.
- 209. - Oh, you can't be serious.
- I'm dead serious.
- 210. - You're psychotic.
- You're hyperbolic.
- 211. I'm not. It's psychotic to think
- 212. that forgetting to thank you
is symbolic of anything
- 213. other than me legitimately
forgetting to fucking thank you.
- 214. You thanked 112 fucking people tonight.
- 215. You thanked your mother, your gaffer,
your agents, your third grade teacher,
- 216. the usher at the theater when you were 12
and saw whatever the fuck.
- 217. - Didn't thank the usher.
- You know what I mean.
- 218. You don't have to be sarcastic,
petty and obnoxious about the shit.
- 219. I'm sorry. I forgot to thank you.
- 220. I am genuinely sorry,
- 221. which is why I apologized to you
a thousand times during the movie.
- 222. I felt so guilty,
I couldn't concentrate on the movie.
- 223. Huh. That's a shame.
You've only seen it 7,000 times.
- 224. Every time I'd lean over and said,
"I'm sorry," you said it was fine.
- 225. You squeezed my hand and said it was fine.
- 226. You said, "I love you.
Don't worry. It's fine."
- 227. Well, Malcolm, I changed my mind.
- 228. How can you just change your mind?
- 229. Honestly, it's pretty fucking easy.
- 230. That doesn't seem a little crazy to you?
- 231. - Nope.
- It doesn't?
- 232. - Nope.
- 233. Well, because when I was
in the theater, it didn't matter.
- 234. Wasn't that big of a deal. It was fine.
- 235. Until the after-party,
when every single person,
- 236. from your mother to Taylor,
kept coming up to me and going,
- 237. "You know, I bet you're probably
a little bit upset right now
- 238. because he forgot to thank you,
but you know how much he depends on you."
- 239. Taylor said that?
- 240. - Yeah. She told me not to read into it.
- What the hell does that mean?
- 241. Funny you should say that.
That's the exact thought I had.
- 242. - I didn't cheat on you.
- I didn't ask.
- 243. - Just saying—
- Didn't ask.
- 244. - Well, I'm just saying—
- I didn't ask.
- 245. It's not just about
you forgetting to thank me, Malcolm.
- 246. It's about how you see me.
- 247. And how you view my contribution,
not just to this relationship,
- 248. but to your work.
- 249. Specifically in a movie
you made about my life.
- 250. You know, Marie…
- 251. you are genuinely…
- 252. unstable.
- 253. I'm not kidding!
- 254. Hmm.
- 255. Mmm.
- 256. I'm actually concerned
for your mental well-being!
- 257. Hmm.
- 258. Obviously, there are certain similarities.
- 259. But Imani's not based on you.
- 260. You're fucking delusional!
- 261. In what fucking universe
is Imani's character based on you?
- 262. Really?
- 263. Are you actually yelling and belittling me
from across this house
- 264. because you are too busy
eating mac and cheese?
- 265. - What?
- 266. - I'm not.
- Don't fucking lie!
- 267. - You literally just got seconds.
- No, I didn't.
- 268. Do you know how disturbing it is
- 269. that you can compartmentalize
to such a degree
- 270. that you can abuse me
while eating mac and cheese?
- 271. - Abuse you?
- Mac and cheese I fucking made you.
- 272. - Abuse you?
- Verbally abuse me.
- 273. Thanks for the clarification.
It's kind of an important one.
- 274. But verbally abuse you? Get out of here.
- 275. If you're gonna treat me
like an insane person and call me crazy,
- 276. the least you could do is do it without
casually eating macaroni and cheese.
- 277. How does that work for you?
- 278. What does that sound like
in your fucking brain?
- 279. "What a cunt! Mmm.
This macaroni and cheese is delicious."
- 280. "What a cunt. I wonder if there's more."
- 281. "What a cunt. If I could direct
commercials for Kraft, I would."
- 282. Say whatever you want.
- 283. Get pissed off I didn't thank you, Anthony
said that joke about you being a model,
- 284. that Taylor said
whatever the fuck Taylor said—
- 285. - It was mean.
- Well, she's an actor.
- 286. All night I had to watch you two
smile and take pictures together.
- 287. - She's the lead in my film!
- I know. I don't care.
- 288. It's my job to make her feel comfortable.
- 289. - Not at my expense.
- Actually, it is.
- 290. Despite how you fucking
feel about it, it is my job.
- 291. - You'd never forget to thank her.
- Jesus Christ!
- 292. - You wouldn't.
- 'Cause she's psychotic.
- 293. No, because she would flip the fuck out
- 294. and spend the night making you pay for it
so you'd never let that shit happen again.
- 295. You're saying you're not nuts enough.
- 296. No. What I'm saying is
you spend your entire life
- 297. catering to the feelings and the whims
of literally everyone but me.
- 298. Agents, producers, crew members, actors,
- 299. fucking fictional characters
get more respect
- 300. and empathy from you than I do.
- 301. And… That's what's so odd
about this whole fucking situation,
- 302. because I get it.
Taylor is wonderful in the film.
- 303. But when you get up there
and you talk about
- 304. her ability to breathe life
into the character of Imani
- 305. without ever mentioning that if
I didn't live my life, she wouldn't exist,
- 306. it's kind of fucking weird.
- 307. Imani is not based on you.
- 308. She's a 20-year-old drug addict trying
to get clean. Just a fucking coincidence?
- 309. Obviously, you getting clean
was a part of the inspiration.
- 310. - At 20?
- 311. And you provide genuine insight into that.
- 312. What that was like.
But Imani is not based on you.
- 313. It's an amalgamation
of different things, a bunch of things.
- 314. Who?
- 315. People!
- 316. What people?
- 317. A lot of different people.
- 318. Mmm.
- 319. - Like my cousin. Rick, for one.
- 320. - A lot of different people and things.
- Your cousin.
- 321. You know what, Malcolm?
- 322. I feel like once you know someone is there
for you and once you know they love you,
- 323. you never actually think of them again.
- 324. That's not true.
- 325. It's not until you're about to lose
someone that you pay attention.
- 326. - Is that what this is?
- 327. Is what you're threatening…
- 328. if I don't apologize,
I'm going to lose you?
- 329. I'm not looking for an apology.
- 330. - What do you want? A screenplay credit?
- Don't be cruel.
- 331. I'm serious.
I know we talk for hours about work.
- 332. Is it so much of a nuisance
that you'd like compensation?
- 333. I had a draft of the script
before you ever came into my life.
- 334. It's not about credit.
I don't want fucking credit.
- 335. Well, what is it, Marie? What do you want?
- 336. The film is beautiful.
- 337. I'm proud of you.
- 338. Took forever to make and it was tough,
but I have one question.
- 339. Do you think that the movie would be
as good as it is if we weren't together?
- 340. No.
- 341. And that's all I wish you would have said.
- 342. Great.
- 343. Are we no longer fighting?
- 344. That depends.
- 345. On what?
- 346. On whether you can manage
to not say something hurtful
- 347. for the rest of the night.
- 348. I mean, I'm not that bad.
- 349. Fuck you aren't.
- 350. Can I kiss you?
- 351. No.
- 352. - Are you sure?
- 353. But I really, really wanna kiss you.
- 354. I don't care.
- 355. Just don't take me for granted.
- 356. I don't.
- 357. You did.
- 358. I'm sorry.
- 359. You can kiss me now.
- 360. I'm the only person who tells you
you're being an asshole
- 361. when you're being an asshole.
- 362. I know.
- 363. And now…
- 364. that you've made a movie
that everybody loves…
- 365. the world's gonna be kissing your ass.
- 366. - You think so?
- 367. Yep.
- 368. I heard that shit all night.
"Oh, he's so sensitive."
- 369. "He's so in tune to emotion.
- 370. "I bet he's sweet, right?"
- 371. - What did you say?
- I said, "Well, I mean, yeah."
- 372. "When he's not being
an emotional fucking terrorist."
- 373. Yes.
- 374. - Yes.
- 375. Mmm.
- 376. You think you're tough,
- 377. I am tough.
- 378. Nah, I'll eat your ass for breakfast.
You light work.
- 379. You know, life is gonna get
easier, but it's also gonna get harder.
- 380. What do you mean?
- 381. Just don't believe the hype, Malcolm.
- 382. And don't push away
the people who ground you.
- 383. - Yeah.
- 384. You're gonna
start making fake movies
- 385. about fake people with fake emotions.
- 386. Then you'll start having dinner
with the white girl from LA Times.
- 387. - Yeah. Mm-hmm.
- No! Not the white girl.
- 388. You'll be talking about
this one-take and… and that one-take,
- 389. and how the camera…
- 390. You know you do that, right?
- 391. Literally.
- 392. Next thing you know, you'll be on
your press tour for your new LEGO film.
- 393. Talk about how it's an allegory
for the failures of reconstruction.
- 394. "Well,
the original working title was…
- 395. Forty LEGOs And A Mule, but the…"
- 396. "The studio got a little, uh…"
- 397. Mm-hmm.
- 398. Malcolm, you laugh, but I can see it.
- 399. I'm serious, I can see that shit.
- 400. All your new Twitter friends
will be quote-tweeting your ass,
- 401. handclaps and shit, talkin' 'bout,
"This is what change looks like."
- 402. "Yes, king!"
- 403. - Oh, brutal.
- 404. But the rest of America will be like,
- 405. "What the fuck is this Negro doing
selling us some shit with these LEGOs?"
- 406. "I'm not seein' that shit."
- 407. Then there's
gonna be boycotts, fucking protests
- 408. because you're politicizing these LEGOs,
- 409. but thankfully, you'll have your new
white girlfriend from the LA Times.
- 410. I mean, she's gonna come ridin' in
with her SPF-50 brigade
- 411. on some real soccer mom shit…
- 412. …tweetin' at people left and right.
- 413. "Well, this is literally censorship!"
- 414. "Who is in charge here?"
- 415. "It is our moral obligation
to go and see this movie
- 416. written and directed by a real Bla…
I mean, person of color."
- 417. "We are gonna make history, okay?"
- 418. "We're going to make it
the biggest box office ever."
- 419. And the next thing you know,
- 420. you will have made
a toy company a billion dollars.
- 421. - Yes!
- 422. "Congratulations, Malcolm Elliot!
You fucking did it!"
- 423. "Here's a couple million dollars
and a fuckin' fruit basket."
- 424. "But just as a thought,
have you ever considered
- 425. doing the Angela Davis biopic,
but with LEGOs?"
- 426. You know
your white voice is crazy.
- 427. You laugh, but…
- That's funny.
- 428. You could change the world.
- 429. You should've
never given up acting, baby.
- 430. Why, Malcolm?
- 431. I always believed
if you found a character
- 432. that actually allowed you
to be yourself, you'd be astonishing.
- 433. Well, Malcolm…
- 434. unfortunately no one
can really write me except you.
- 435. Hmm. Hmm.
- 436. Marie!
- 437. Marie.
- 438. Marie!
- 439. Marie!
- 440. Marie, stop playin'.
- 441. Marie!
- 442. Shit.
- 443. Marie!
- 444. Marie, stop playin'.
- 445. Marie!
- 446. Marie!
- 447. Marie!
- 448. Shit.
- 449. Marie.
- 450. Marie!
- 451. Oh, my God!
- 452. - Where the fuck did you go?
- To pee.
- 453. - To pee— Where?
- 454. Why didn't you just use the bathroom?
- 455. Because I didn't grow up with a backyard.
- 456. - The novelty hasn't worn off yet.
- 457. You know, you are
the neediest man I have ever dated.
- 458. But at the same time, you are also
the least jealous man I have ever dated.
- 459. I mean, I could literally be hanging
on some random guy's arm
- 460. and you would never think it's sexual.
- 461. You'd just come up to me and be like,
"Hey, babe. What the hell are you doing?"
- 462. "I need your help. I can't remember
anybody's name here. Let's go."
- 463. - But whose arm are you hanging on?
- That's it. Doesn't matter.
- 464. - Is this about tonight?
- 465. Kinda.
- 466. - "Kinda"?
- 467. Mm-hmm.
- 468. I was outside smoking and you were in here
- 469. apologizing in whatever
emotionally obtuse way made sense to you.
- 470. As if a song written 50 years ago
about a different fucking girl
- 471. would somehow make me
feel better about our relationship.
- 472. Some people would say
lack of jealousy is a good thing.
- 473. - Not when it borders on indifference.
- What are you talkin' about, Marie?
- 474. Malcolm, you can encourage me
to have a life of my own,
- 475. but that's just… That's bullshit.
- 476. You don't want me to have
a life that is separate from yours
- 477. because you are too fucking needy.
- 478. Thought we were done fighting.
- 479. - Don't be sensitive. This isn't a fight.
- Yeah, right.
- 480. It's not. It's an observation.
- 481. - Tsk. Oh, you don't wanna go there.
- 482. - Trust me, you don't.
- 483. Even if you do,
you're not thinking clearly.
- 484. - I think I'm thinking clearly.
- Trust me, you're not.
- 485. - I do have a slightly masochistic streak.
- But you're not dumb.
- 486. - Oh, my God. Thank you.
- Don't be a fucking brat.
- 487. Don't patronize me
and tell me I gave up something
- 488. when you know damn well
your work is all that you have time for
- 489. and all you care about.
- 490. Oh, so you gave up a career in acting
to be an emotional fucking support dog.
- 491. - Fuck you, Malcolm!
- I get it now.
- 492. - Fuck you!
- 'Cause you're scared, you didn't want it.
- 493. You never wanted it.
- 494. - 'Cause you're scared to try and fail.
- You are ugly inside.
- 495. No, fuck you!
- 496. Marie, when I met you,
you were a fucking pilled-out disaster.
- 497. You were barely 20 years old.
- 498. Couldn't hold a conversation
without noddin' off,
- 499. or passin' out, or breaking down.
- 500. Don't act like for the last five years
you became so enlightened that I fucking…
- 501. forgot the old you.
- 502. Of course I want you to have a life.
- 503. You know why?
Because I'm terrified that if you don't,
- 504. you're gonna hang everything on mine.
- 505. And when, God forbid,
I forget to thank you at a movie premiere,
- 506. you come home, you start a fight,
and by morning you're drinking on Xannies,
- 507. trying to fuckin' cut your wrists
with a pair of fucking nail scissors.
- 508. Stupid motherf…
- 509. Malcolm, I want you to leave this room.
- 510. Oh, shut the fuck up, Marie.
You know, I get it. I really do.
- 511. You have pain and fucking
disappointment and dreams
- 512. like everybody else on planet Earth.
- 513. You're mad you didn't get
the jobs you wish you'd got.
- 514. You're embarrassed
you had to play "Skinny Girl In Alley"
- 515. and "Concerned Nurse Number Two."
- 516. Well, guess what? None of us
are proud of where we first start off.
- 517. I started off, I had to do token fuckin'
punch up on straight to VOD rom-coms,
- 518. and under-the-table rewrites on films
that didn't wanna pay writers!
- 519. But you keep working!
- 520. You keep on trying!
You work harder and harder
- 521. 'cause even if
you're not talented, which you are,
- 522. you can still get somewhere,
as long as you don't have an ego.
- 523. You don't have to be proud
of everything you do!
- 524. But you do have
to work harder than 99% of people.
- 525. You know what's bullshit?
What's a fucking cop-out, Marie?
- 526. Is you acting like my work
is so fucking suffocating
- 527. that you can't even breathe,
that you don't have any fucking space.
- 528. I mean, look around.
- 529. Look at this fucking house
the production company put us up in.
- 530. Pick a room, get to fucking work,
- 531. and stop blaming me for your
inabilities to get your shit together!
- 532. I checked you into rehab.
- 533. I went to group therapy with you.
I've been with you.
- 534. I fucking supported you
every single step of the way.
- 535. When you were depressed,
- 536. when you were on so many meds
that you couldn't fuck for half a year,
- 537. I was there for you.
- 538. When you relapsed, I was there for you.
- 539. When we lived on 38th Street
and you went out to that meeting, right?
- 540. And you went to the meeting
and you didn't come home
- 541. because you were
fucking somebody else, right?
- 542. Guess who was there for you?
- 543. This nigga right here.
- 544. So, don't go there.
- 545. Do not fucking go there because
you are not gonna win this one, Marie.
- 546. Trust me.
- 547. All right, how about
we cut the bullshit, Malcolm?
- 548. Since everybody's being honest tonight,
how about you be honest? Hmm?
- 549. About the real reason
you were there for me.
- 550. I was good fucking material.
- 551. Hmm? That's why you stuck by me.
- 552. Because I was a story.
- 553. It was a world of emotions you weren't
used to seeing so fucking close.
- 554. And because I was 20 years old and I'd
never been loved the way you loved me
- 555. or thought you loved me,
I didn't realize what I was to you.
- 556. A fucking movie. A tragedy.
- 557. One that you could continue watching
for as long as you were there for me.
- 558. And tonight, in that fucking audience,
I watched the whole shit play out.
- 559. So don't pretend like it was
a selfless fucking act, Malcolm.
- 560. It's literally the basis of your art
and it is the reason
- 561. why all these people are calling you
brilliant and brave and fearless.
- 562. "So tell us, Malcolm."
- 563. "How were you able to breathe life
into the character of Imani?"
- 564. "How were you able
to channel the voice of a young woman
- 565. so well, so authentically?"
- 566. "Hmm."
- 567. "Well, Jennifer, that's a good question.
I guess you could say I stole it."
- 568. "I ripped it off."
- 569. "Not a literal theft, a spiritual one."
- 570. You're a fucking fraud.
- 571. The reason you didn't thank me tonight
is because you already know that.
- 572. You have nothing new to say.
- 573. All you can do is fuckin' mimic.
- 574. Be a fucking parakeet, a goddamn cockatoo.
- 575. I mean, God forbid you are ever alone,
- 576. and have to dream up
another original idea.
- 577. What are you going to write, Malcolm?
- 578. Huh?
- 579. Yourself?
- 580. Give me a fucking break.
- 581. You don't have the balls.
- 582. You don't have the gravitas, the fucking
introspection to look at yourself
- 583. and your flaws and your shortcomings
- 584. and the fact that you may not be
the next Spike Lee or Barry Jenkins
- 585. because those motherfuckers
had something new to say.
- 586. Something true to themselves
and their fucking experience.
- 587. You say the film is about shame and guilt.
- 588. Correct?
- 589. Your words, not mine.
- 590. All right. Well, I have
a question for you, Malcolm.
- 591. Whose fucking shame?
- 592. Whose guilt?
- 593. What the fuck do you know
about shame and guilt?
- 594. You have two parents, no bad habits
other than being a fucking prick,
- 595. and a college education.
- 596. Your mother is a therapist.
Your father is a professor.
- 597. Your sister works for a think tank in D.C.
- 598. But out here, on these streets,
these smiling fucking rich people,
- 599. they think you know
what it's like to scrap.
- 600. Think you fucking lived it.
Give me a break.
- 601. You're more privileged than the white girl
who works for the LA Times,
- 602. who thinks she's doing a public service
by lifting up your mediocre ass.
- 603. Now you're being cruel.
- 604. Try slitting your wrists
with a pair of nail scissors.
- 605. You're not gonna wanna survive it,
because it's embarrassing.
- 606. Don't worry.
- 607. I'm not so petty I throw it out
in argument because I'm angry.
- 608. - I didn't mean it.
- Too late.
- 609. It's embarrassing and it's cruel,
- 610. and it makes me regret
sharing so much with you.
- 611. I'm keeping you…
- 612. Bullshit!
- 613. How the fuck am I keeping you from a life?
- 614. So stupid.
- 615. Fucking bullshit.
- 616. I know… I know what this is.
This is bullshit.
- 617. Fuck Malibu.
- 618. What do you mean, "mediocre"?
- 619. Were you just trying to be mean?
- 620. Is that why you said it?
- 621. Out of everything I said,
- 622. "mediocre" is what stuck with you?
- 623. I just wanna know
if you actually believe it.
- 624. Guess.
- 625. - Answer the question.
- What is the question specifically?
- 626. Do you not like the movie?
- 627. I never said that.
- 628. - So you don't like me and the movie.
- I never said that.
- 629. That's literally
what you just fucking said.
- 630. I feel like you're being a bit irrational.
- 631. I'm being irrational?
- 632. I'm being fucking irrational?
This is the biggest night of my life,
- 633. and you're trying to turn it
into the worst and I'm being irrational.
- 634. Look at you.
- 635. You're so solipsistic
that you see yourself in everything.
- 636. Even in things you had nothing to do with.
- 637. You notice the way Imani walks.
- 638. You turn to me and say,
"I wonder where you got that walk from."
- 639. I don't say shit.
I actually smile, don't I?
- 640. Keep that shit light
because I don't wanna hurt your feelings,
- 641. but you tally that shit up, Marie.
- 642. While I'm actually
doing something, creating something,
- 643. you're on the sidelines trying to justify
your motherfucking existence.
- 644. "I know that line."I said that."
"I did that."You got that from me."
- 645. Shit, even feedback from you
comes with an IOU, Marie.
- 646. You wanna play fucking dirty?
- 647. Well, let's fucking go.
- 648. You wanna hurt me, Marie.
- 649. I promise you,
I can hurt you ten times worse.
- 650. You're a fucking featherweight,
a level-one boss.
- 651. I can snap you like a twig.
- 652. Imani is based on you
as much as she is on me.
- 653. What she says to the nurse,
- 654. that's what I said to the doctor
when my dad was in the ICU.
- 655. You noticed the way
Imani walks, didn't you?
- 656. It's a good walk.
- 657. That was my ex-girlfriend, Jess.
- 658. So was the scene
on the bicycle in the rain.
- 659. It wasn't based on the trip
you and I took to Barcelona.
- 660. That's Jess and I
on the Citi Bike in Brooklyn.
- 661. The way she ties her shoes with two loops…
- 662. That was Jayla.
- 663. You weren't the first.
- 664. The joke about
how she doesn't give handjobs.
- 665. Well, that's an old played-out line
that every nigga done heard before.
- 666. The joke she makes
about how quickly she orgasms.
- 667. That was Kiki.
- 668. Kiki.
- 669. She's a dancer.
- 670. Dancer. We'll call her a dancer.
- 671. Who I met
outside of St. Louis on a road trip.
- 672. I fucked the shit out of her
in the penthouse suite of a Marriott.
- 673. Once on the bed, once in the shower.
- 674. We might've even fucked
in the closet or some shit too.
- 675. I got a Polaroid of her.
- 676. Sitting naked in a heart-shaped tub.
- 677. It's in a photo album
at home in our closet.
- 678. But you're an addict, right?
- 679. That's what makes you so unique, right?
- 680. That's what makes your contribution
so much more significant, right?
- 681. Get the entire fuck out of here.
- 682. You're not the first broken girl
I've known, fucked or dated.
- 683. I wrote my first script
in a one-bedroom apartment with Leah,
- 684. who I thought loved hour-long showers
- 685. until I found her passed out
with a fucking needle in her arm.
- 686. Two years ago,
I got an email from her sister
- 687. saying she took a whole bottle
of Tylenol to the head and passed away
- 688. and asked if I had any pictures
- 689. 'cause she was putting together
a slideshow on her behalf.
- 690. Now that I think about it,
I should've thanked her tonight.
- 691. She deserves it.
- 692. Same with Tasha.
- 693. First girl I actually loved,
I truly loved.
- 694. The first girl who truly broke my heart.
- 695. She never cheated on me.
She's got that going for her.
- 696. She found Jesus,
got married, got divorced.
- 697. She constantly DMs me
pictures of her daughter
- 698. saying she wished she had a child with me.
- 699. I send her heart emojis because I honestly
don't know how to respond to that.
- 700. Are you done?
- 701. Not even fucking close.
- 702. Why, would you like me to stop?
- 703. No, Malcolm. Keep going.
- 704. - Why?
- 705. 'Cause you like that shit?
- 706. You know how disturbed you are, Marie?
- 707. You may have gotten clean, but
you still haven't figured this part out.
- 708. Why you love being hurt,
traumatized and fucking eviscerated?
- 709. It's not normal.
- 710. It's not healthy, and it permeates
every aspect of our relationship.
- 711. The way we talk,
the way we fight, the way we fuck.
- 712. I've dated some
damaged people in my life, Marie.
- 713. But none of them wanted to be
debased and degraded like you.
- 714. And honestly, Marie…
- 715. it's nothing to be proud of.
- 716. So stop fucking smiling,
'cause you look like a clown.
- 717. Now there's some material for you.
- 718. You know what I just realized, Marie?
- 719. It's not about justifying your existence.
- 720. It's not.
- 721. It's about you
being so scared and so selfish
- 722. that you have to break me down.
- 723. Second guess everything I do.
- 724. "Am I mediocre?"
- 725. "Can I do this without her?"
- 726. "I don't know. I better ask Marie.
Maybe Marie will know the answer."
- 727. "Where's Marie?
I need Marie." That's a cut.
- 728. "Marie, where did you go?"
- 729. "Did you see that performance?
What'd you think?"
- 730. "You liked it? Yeah, me too."
- 731. God forbid I'm secure enough
in my opinion that I don't need you.
- 732. That's what this all is about.
- 733. Your whole speech about fake films.
- 734. You just need a reason to be needed
- 735. because if I don't need you, then
what the hell am I doing with you, Marie?
- 736. You want control
- 737. because you can't imagine the reason
I'm with you is because I love you.
- 738. I just love you, baby.
- 739. I don't need you.
- 740. But I love you. That there's somebody
on this planet that just loves you.
- 741. I love the way your mind works, Marie.
- 742. I do.
- 743. I love the way you see the world.
- 744. I love the way you think.
- 745. Your instincts.
- 746. And I'm so fucking grateful
- 747. because everything
that you've been through, everything…
- 748. That's what made you you.
That's what made you you.
- 749. The girl that I love,
the girl that I fuck with,
- 750. the girl that I'm up
at 2:00 a.m. In the morning
- 751. on the biggest night of my life
because she's relentless.
- 752. And crazy.
- 753. And I'm sorry, though. I'm sorry.
- 754. I apologized, you know, and…
- 755. a thousand times. I know I fucked up.
- 756. But honestly, the second we got home,
- 757. all I wanted to do
was celebrate with you, baby.
- 758. Marie, my girl, the love of my life.
- 759. You wanna know the part
of Imani that's based on you?
- 760. It's the end.
- 761. The part that makes it
such a tragedy. The part…
- 762. that she…
- 763. Where she loathes herself so much
because of all the guilt and the shame.
- 764. That she can't let the good in.
- 765. That's the part that's based on you.
- 766. Her inability to fathom
- 767. that there's someone
on this planet Earth that just loves her.
- 768. Despite her not loving herself.
- 769. That's you.
- 770. That's the part that isn't fiction.
- 771. You gonna start smoking again?
- 772. Fuck!
- 773. That fucking piece of shit!
- 774. Fuck you! Fuck you!
Fuck you! Fuck you! Fuck you!
- 775. Fucking piece of shit! Fuck you!
- 776. - What's going on?
- Fuckin' LA Times review's up.
- 777. - Oh, shit. What does it say?
- I don't know. Fucking Internet.
- 778. - Is it good?
- Hold on.
- 779. - Who sent it to you?
- No one. I found it.
- 780. - How come no one sent it?
- Marie, stop. It's loading.
- 781. All right. What's the headline?
- 782. Oh, gotta pay a fucking paywall now?
A fucking paywall? Really?
- 783. When was it posted?
- 784. Dollar-ninety-nine a fucking month.
Twenty minutes ago.
- 785. And no one sent it to you?
How come no one sent it to you?
- 786. Shit. Where's my fucking wallet?
- 787. You don't have your credit card
saved in your phone?
- 788. - No!
- 789. - Because I don't trust that shit.
- 790. - Marie, stop.
- I'm sorry. Okay. Okay.
- 791. Did what's-her-name write it?
- 792. - The white girl?
- 793. - Yeah.
- Then it's gotta be positive.
- 794. Shit, I hope so.
Where's my motherfuckin' wallet?
- 795. Did you check the bedroom?
- 796. - What?
- Check the bedroom?
- 797. - Yeah, I checked the fucking bedroom!
- Okay. Well, then did you check the bar?
- 798. I checked the fucking bar too, Marie!
Where the fuck is the…
- 799. Where the fuck is the…
Oh, I got it. I got it.
- 800. - Got it? Where was it?
- Doesn't matter.
- 801. Mmm.
- 802. Oh, shit! Where the fuck is my phone?
- 803. - Malcolm.
- Where's my phone?
- 804. - Malcolm. Malcolm?
- 805. It's right here. It's right here.
- 806. Calm down.
- 807. "Imani review."
- 808. "A cinematic tour de force
- 809. takes aim at the twin horrors
of healthcare and racism,
- 810. in Malcolm Elliot's rebellious,
jazzy directorial debut."
- 811. I fucking hate this woman.
- 812. Who wants to see that film?
- 813. "Cinematic tour de force" is all I heard.
- 814. - You didn't hear "jazzy"?
- No, I heard "jazzy," too.
- 815. "Like the opening Steadicam shot."
It's a dolly, you fucking idiot.
- 816. "Through the streets of Bed-Stuy,
we know one thing
- 817. about our slender protagonist Imani.
She marches to her own beat."
- 818. "She sets the tone,
the atmosphere, the vibe."
- 819. "She may slink and slide through
halfway houses and in-patient hospitals,
- 820. but make no mistake,
as the title suggests,
- 821. this is her film, her world, her turf.
Until it's not."
- 822. "If you can't tell
by the rhythm of my white girl words,
- 823. you are in for a Black film."
- 824. The synopsis.
Boring, boring, boring.
- 825. The only reason you know it's 2-perf 35 is
because I said it at the premier, dipshit.
- 826. "Positive…"
- 827. "Leading to a harrowing
and indelible scene
- 828. where Imani overdoses
at a Chinatown market,
- 829. and that's where Elliot's
true target becomes clear."
- 830. "This is a film about how the American
healthcare system treats women of color."
- 831. And at this precise moment,
- 832. every Negro who subscribes
to the LA Times just said,
- 833. "Then why the fuck
do I need to see this film?"
- 834. Just 'cause the film doesn't star
anybody that looks like her
- 835. doesn't mean it's political.
- 836. - What's wrong with being political?
- Political films are exhausting.
- 837. You love political films.
- 838. Not the ones the white woman
from the LA Times calls political.
- 839. I'm sure she loves Do The Right Thing.
- 840. Made at a time when politics weren't cool.
That's what made it so revolutionary.
- 841. "When Imani is placed under 5150,
- 842. a term for people
being held against their will
- 843. and being a danger
to themselves and others,
- 844. after a harrowing scene
with a pair of nail scissors, she…"
- 845. "She's placed
under the care of friendly doctor
- 846. played by… TV show fame…"
- 847. "But Elliot knows
the waters he's wading into,
- 848. and carefully, brilliantly subverts
the white savior trope."
- 849. Oh, she's on one now. This fucking stupid…
- 850. "Later, when Imani finds herself, uh…
- 851. at her ex-boyfriend's house
begging for a fix,
- 852. Elliot uses tight lenses."
It's the fucking same lens.
- 853. "Claustrophobia…"
- 854. "One begins to question his intentions
- 855. in reveling in the trauma
of his Black female heroine for so long."
- 856. "It's a scene
better implied than depicted."
- 857. "If not for the restraint
of his own picture,
- 858. then merely to separate itself
from an exhaustive history
- 859. that depicts gendered violence
against women of fucking color."
- 860. Are you fucking kidding me?
Are you kidding me, ma'am?
- 861. Are you fucking— In the next line!
Oh, shit! Oh, shit!
- 862. She says it's a "genuine masterwork."
A genuine fucking—
- 863. I can't read this fucking shit anymore.
It's too fucking moronic.
- 864. The fact that the LA Times will
hire such a fucking halfwit is beyond me.
- 865. First she says that I brilliantly
subvert the white savior trope.
- 866. She is a savior.
- 867. She's trying to save her,
- 868. so how the fuck
did I subvert it, lady? How?
- 869. You wanna know how?
It's because I'm Black!
- 870. If I was white,
she would've said I fell for the trope.
- 871. But because I'm a man,
she can question my intention
- 872. saying that I'm reveling
in the trauma of a woman.
- 873. "Better implied than depicted."
- 874. The fuck out of here! Why?
Because Taylor took her shirt off?
- 875. I'm sure she just doesn't think
that the nudity was necessary.
- 876. None of it is necessary, Marie.
- 877. None of this shit is necessary.
- 878. Movement, blocking, lighting,
fucking digital versus film.
- 879. This cut here, that cut here.
Let's pan. Two-shot.
- 880. None of this shit matters.
It's all about what you want.
- 881. But my fucking problem with her
before she even wrote this dumb-ass,
- 882. bitch-ass, pussy-ass review is
the same after readin' this cock-sucking,
- 883. motherfucking, dog-dick review.
- 884. She's not looking at the film.
The ideas in it,
- 885. the emotions, or the craft.
- 886. Cinema doesn't need
to have a fucking message.
- 887. It needs to have a heart and electricity.
- 888. Morons like this
sap the world of its mystery
- 889. because they need everything
spelled out with fucking A-B-C blocks.
- 890. And they're terrified to embrace
anything potentially dangerous
- 891. because they're trying
to predict the culture.
- 892. This fucking bobblehead shouldn't be
writing for the LA fucking Times.
- 893. She should be holding
smiling sun placards for the local news
- 894. because all she is,
is a motherfucking weatherman!
- 895. Or weatherwoman.
- 896. Whatever.
- 897. Fucking… Dorothy-ass…
- 898. Malcolm.
- 899. What?
- 900. She did call it a genuine masterwork.
- 901. I don't give a fuck!
- 902. Unlike her, at least I'm consistent.
- 903. You can't hang everything on identity.
- 904. You can't say that I brilliantly
subverted this trope 'cause I'm Black,
- 905. but I fell into this one
because I'm a fucking man!
- 906. Identities are constantly shifting.
- 907. Does the male gaze exist
if the filmmaker's gay and not straight?
- 908. And to what degree?
What if they're asexual?
- 909. What if they're transitioning
and you don't even know it?
- 910. You can only look back at things
and wonder what the fuck it all means!
- 911. I mean, why did Ben Hecht and Selznick,
two fucking Jewish men,
- 912. spend so much time on Gone With the Wind?
- 913. To this day,
- 914. no one can explain to me why the fuck
Billy Wilder made Spirit of St. Louis
- 915. and lionized
that Nazi bastard Lindbergh, huh?
- 916. Or why Ida Lupino loved film noir
and fucking violent men.
- 917. Why Ed Wood wore fucking panties?
- 918. He wore panties and made B films
about fucking space aliens.
- 919. Or Elaine May was fascinated
with emotionally stunted men.
- 920. I mean, did she see herself in them?
- 921. Did she hate them in real life, but wanted
to get to know them through the work?
- 922. The fact that Barry Jenkins isn't gay,
is that what made Moonlight so universal?
- 923. Or was being gay the reason Cukor
empathized with women more than men?
- 924. It's all a mystery is the point!
- 925. What drives a filmmaker?
What drives an artist?
- 926. I mean, why did Pontecorvo,
a fucking rich Italian Jewish man…
- 927. Why did he fucking feel such a kinship
to Algerian Muslim guerrilla fighters
- 928. that he fucking made Battle of Algiers?
- 929. A fucking classic! Tell me that!
- 930. Can you tell me that? Fucking Karen!
- 931. Can you tell me that? You can't, can you?
Because why? 'Cause nobody knows!
- 932. Who the fuck knows? Who the fuck knows?
Why did I shoot the scene the way I did?
- 933. Is it because I'm a man,
because I'm straight?
- 934. Is it because I'm desensitized to violence
- 935. or is it because I believe that
if you witness trauma onscreen,
- 936. the audience should also
feel that fucking trauma?
- 937. That is the mystery of art. Of film.
- 938. What drives someone to make something
and fucking say something.
- 939. Now, you can criticize this system,
which, like every fucking system,
- 940. is white as fuck,
- 941. and in our business,
fucking male and white as fuck!
- 942. I mean, goddamn!
- 943. I've been waiting my whole life,
I've been askin',
- 944. "Where the fuck
are all the Black filmmakers,
- 945. 'cause I'm gettin' sick and tired
of these little British boys
- 946. runnin' around here all in they feelings
trying to overcome a fucking birth defect
- 947. to save the fucking Queen from Hitler."
- 948. Just do me a fucking favor, all right?
- 949. Ban every fucking film
with a postscript, and we'll be good.
- 950. We'll be fucking great!
- 951. But to write shit like this?
To write this bullshit?
- 952. To box people in
because you don't have the love of film,
- 953. because you don't have the mind
to critique the form, medium, technique.
- 954. You don't have the words
to describe the emotions
- 955. or too much fear
that you're not gonna get clicks,
- 956. or too much fear
that the mob's gonna turn on you.
- 957. Fuck you for inhibiting
the ability for artists to dream about
- 958. what life may be like
for other fucking people.
- 959. Fuck you! Twice! With a sick cactus dick!
- 960. Even if you come up short,
even if you could do better, fuck you!
- 961. You're the reason they make this stale,
- 962. safe, stagnant turgid shit
in the first place!
- 963. You're the reason! Not me!
You're the reason!
- 964. I mean, you should be fucking bold!
You should be fucking reckless!
- 965. People should be fucking reckless!
- 966. They should be yelling
at the top of their lungs!
- 967. Hey, Karen! Hey, Al!
- 968. I hear you, and I don't give a fuck!
- 969. Because they're not gonna get any better
- 970. until they start rebelling against this
purist, moralistic, academic nonsense
- 971. in the same way Spike Lee
rebelled against the white system
- 972. when he made Do the Right Thing.
- 973. Normally, I wish death
upon someone like this.
- 974. Someone who lacks
the fucking imagination like this.
- 975. But instead, I'm gonna pray fucking hard,
- 976. the way my mama taught me,
that she gets fucking carpal tunnel,
- 977. until her hands atrophy and cramp
- 978. and she can no longer write nonsensical
fucking garbage like this anymore!
- 979. Mmm.
- 980. Oh, my God.
- 981. So this is what happens
when you get a good review?
- 982. You're fucking crazy.
- 983. I'm ser— You're delirious.
- 984. Honestly, Malcolm,
you are a true insane person.
- 985. I know. I know. I just…
I'm tired of fighting, Marie.
- 986. That was a fight
you had entirely with yourself.
- 987. You think you're the first writer
- 988. in the history of writing
to have this issue with critics?
- 989. 'Course not.
- 990. Of course not,
'cause it's all the same bullshit.
- 991. So, what, Malcolm? You wanna make movies,
- 992. and no one's allowed to say
anything bad about them?
- 993. Give me a break.
- 994. "Oh, no!
Someone attacked my movie."
- 995. Well, fuck these lazy-ass critics.
- 996. Malcolm, you are not making pottery
for a living, okay?
- 997. You are a filmmaker,
and filmmaking is the most capitalistic,
- 998. mainstream fucking art form
on the planet Earth.
- 999. No matter how many times
Taylor told E! News
- 1000. that she was a fucking communist.
- 1001. - She what?
- Or a Maoist.
- 1002. - Come on.
- It was something like that.
- 1003. She might've talked about
the redistribution of wealth,
- 1004. lack of social programs.
- 1005. - While selling a film?
- The mental healthcare industry—
- 1006. - For $15 a ticket?
- I'm just saying—
- 1007. On E! News.
- 1008. It was Entertainment Tonight.
- 1009. And you wonder
why the white girl's talking about
- 1010. the mental healthcare system
in her review.
- 1011. Because…
- 1012. Oh, she… Oh, shit, you're right.
- 1013. Right?
- 1014. Oh.
- 1015. Yep.
- 1016. I hate to break it to you, but uh…
- 1017. no one in this game is a radical.
- 1018. - Oh, Taylor's pretty radical.
- Bullshit. She likes to play one on TV.
- 1019. What do you mean?
- 1020. All of y'all are
a bunch of hookers and hoes.
- 1021. - You calling me a ho?
- Yes, I am calling you a ho.
- 1022. Fuck you.
- 1023. 'Cause you're a ho!
What? You are. That's fine.
- 1024. That's why you're hell-bent
on sounding smart,
- 1025. 'cause you're compensating
for the fact that you're a ho.
- 1026. Instead of just understanding that…
- 1027. this is just how
the world of ho-dom turns.
- 1028. You know, you got an actress
in a $2,000 dress,
- 1029. talkin' about socialism on a red carpet
- 1030. because she's too afraid
to admit that, guess what,
- 1031. she's just… she's just a fuckin' actor.
- 1032. There's no shame in that.
- 1033. And then you got
every entertainment outlet
- 1034. running with her call to arms,
her viva la revolution.
- 1035. Not because they actually care
or want to spread the message.
- 1036. But because they know that there's
nothing that sells more than disgust.
- 1037. - Hmm.
- That's what gets the clicks.
- 1038. And you dumbasses
fall for that shit every time.
- 1039. Honestly, nobody cares
what you have to say.
- 1040. They don't.
- 1041. You guys play fucking dress-up
for a living.
- 1042. This is some only-in-America, ho-ass shit.
- 1043. And all of you are guilty.
- 1044. You know? So just stay in your lane.
Keep doing your ho shit. It's fine.
- 1045. Malcolm, you got
a great review with an asterisk.
- 1046. Boo-fucking-hoo.
- 1047. I'm a ho, huh?
- 1048. Mm-hmm. Most definitely.
- 1049. - I love you.
- Don't manipulate me.
- 1050. - Okay.
- 1051. - Okay. I got a gameplan.
- 1052. I love what's happening.
- 1053. Oh, my God. And thank God. I just…
- 1054. Been wanting to do this all night.
- 1055. Here's the gameplan.
- 1056. I'm gonna go from here…
- 1057. to the bathroom.
- 1058. - Because I have to pee.
- 1059. - Okay. Is it okay?
- That's fine.
- 1060. And let's just keep it positive.
- 1061. You stay right here.
Don't move. You look beautiful.
- 1062. - Stay right here. Okay?
- 1063. - You stay right here.
- 1064. Hey.
- 1065. Oh, my God. Oh, my…
- 1066. Malcolm?
- 1067. Yeah?
- 1068. Can I ask you a question
and you promise to answer
- 1069. without making me feel like shit?
- 1070. Yeah.
- 1071. Why didn't you cast me?
- 1072. When you first wrote it,
you wrote it for me.
- 1073. So why didn't you cast me?
- 1074. So that's what this whole thing
has been about tonight?
- 1075. No.
- 1076. - Bullshit, Marie.
- It's not.
- 1077. - You're lying. Yes, it is.
- I'm not lying.
- 1078. At some point, Malcolm, this was
something that we were gonna do together.
- 1079. And I don't know when that changed.
- 1080. I don't know when, I don't know how,
I just know that I was in that audience…
- 1081. and I thought to myself, "Wow."
- 1082. "I did not mean to give all that away."
- 1083. And I don't wanna get
into all the reasons why you cast Taylor,
- 1084. but you're so good at fighting.
- 1085. You're so good at fighting.
You fought to make the movie,
- 1086. to make it the way you wanted to make it.
So why didn't you fight for me?
- 1087. Because I would have been good.
- 1088. I would have.
- 1089. Maybe even better.
- 1090. So there it is.
- 1091. - What?
- The fucking truth.
- 1092. Leave it to you to spend the entire night
burning it all to the ground
- 1093. only to reveal that in the end,
you're just jealous.
- 1094. - I'm not jealous.
- Yes, you are.
- 1095. - I'm not jealous.
- Of course you are.
- 1096. The feeling that I'm feeling right now
is deeper than that.
- 1097. It's not jealousy.
- 1098. Oh, come on. Give me a break, Marie.
- 1099. It's the fact that
I can't tell my story anymore.
- 1100. I can't articulate all the fucking chaos
that's going on in here
- 1101. because you already did.
- 1102. You already did and Taylor already did.
- 1103. I know it's not solely mine.
- 1104. I know that.
- 1105. I know it happened to both of us.
- 1106. But the difference is you were able
to take all the ugly shit
- 1107. and make it something beautiful.
- 1108. Something good.
- 1109. Something that…
- 1110. that could move people.
- 1111. But, Malcolm, I'm stuck with it.
- 1112. Yeah.
- 1113. I just wish it was something
we could have done together.
- 1114. And to be brutally honest, yes…
- 1115. I would have been better.
- 1116. Because I experienced it.
- 1117. I lived it.
- 1118. Not only would I have been better,
I would have made your film better.
- 1119. You gave up acting.
- 1120. When I got the film financed,
I asked you to audition.
- 1121. You said yes, but you were reluctant.
You have talent, but that's not enough.
- 1122. It's not enough.
You have to want it, Marie.
- 1123. - Trust me, Malcolm, I wanted this one.
- That's fuckin' bullshit.
- 1124. You didn't try, and that's
the harsh reality of all of this.
- 1125. That same instinct
that exists in Imani, in you,
- 1126. that instinct to fucking self-sabotage,
- 1127. that didn't go away.
- 1128. - I didn't try because you didn't want me.
- Now you wanna play the victim.
- 1129. Now you wanna say you felt like
I didn't want you so you didn't try.
- 1130. You are fucking intolerable.
- 1131. Fucking… You fake-ass,
fraudulent, thievin' fuckin' con man!
- 1132. You didn't want me because if you did,
you would have to share the stage.
- 1133. You wouldn't be
the sole author of this film.
- 1134. It would have a lineage that extended
beyond you and your brilliance,
- 1135. because people would ask me and I'd say,
"Yes, this shit happened to me."
- 1136. Then all of a sudden everyone would go,
"Is it him or her that's talented?"
- 1137. If that's what you have
to tell yourself, then be my guest.
- 1138. It's about ownership.
- 1139. It's about the illusion you wanna create
- 1140. that filmmaking
isn't a collaborative effort.
- 1141. It's you, and everybody else
is just following directions.
- 1142. Because if it were me…
- 1143. If it were authentic 'cause of me,
you couldn't swing your dick around!
- 1144. That's why you didn't thank me tonight.
- 1145. - That's also why you didn't cast me.
- 1146. - Yeah. Mm-hmm.
- Ain't that the word of the day?
- 1147. It's all I heard tonight.
"He's such an authentic filmmaker."
- 1148. "The movie is authentic."
"He channeled his voice authentically."
- 1149. - Know why people love that word?
- 1150. They don't know what makes something good.
- 1151. I think authenticity is key.
- 1152. Of course,
because that's all you have to offer.
- 1153. - Anyone, all they have to say.
- It's all I have to offer.
- 1154. The only word that people
that don't know shit about film
- 1155. feels like they got something to offer…
- 1156. No, I have nothing to offer.
- 1157. They can't say anything about film,
but they love to talk about authenticity.
- 1158. They don't know dick about film.
- 1159. About fucking Citizen Kane
or Best Years of Our Lives—
- 1160. No one fucking cares about that shit!
- 1161. Authenticity. Oh, shit!
They know that shit through and through.
- 1162. Authenticity does not matter,
your perspective doesn't—
- 1163. You don't fucking have any!
- 1164. Recreating reality
doesn't make something interesting.
- 1165. It's about your interpretation
- 1166. - What you feel about reality.
- You're full of shit.
- 1167. What you reveal about reality.
- 1168. Perspective, your perspective.
- 1169. Transcribing a conversation or holding
a camera up and pressing record,
- 1170. that's a fucking YouTube video.
- 1171. - That's a confession or memoir.
- 1172. - We've seen and heard it a thousand times.
- All right.
- 1173. Your experience, your life,
your fucking struggle, doesn't matter.
- 1174. You've been an addict, boring!
You overdosing, not fucking interesting.
- 1175. It's about transferring your emotions
- 1176. and all those moments
into something cinematic and moving.
- 1177. So, you know what? Good luck, Marie.
- 1178. - I hate you!
- I hate you hate too!
- 1179. - I hate you more!
- I hate you the most!
- 1180. I fucking hate you!
- 1181. Fuckin' asshole!
- 1182. Fucking mental patient.
- 1183. Marie, what are you doing?
- 1184. Put the knife down please. Marie?
- 1185. Do you remember
those antidepressants I was on?
- 1186. I'm not on them anymore.
- 1187. I'm not doing well.
I'm really, really not doing well.
- 1188. I've never been clean.
- 1189. And I don't plan on getting clean.
- 1190. I'm a piece of shit.
- 1191. I'm a liar.
- 1192. I cheated on you.
- 1193. I fucked your friends.
- 1194. I fucked your friends.
- 1195. God, I feel like I'm crazy.
- 1196. I've stolen from your mother.
- 1197. And you know what
the fucked up thing is?
- 1198. I don't even care.
- 1199. I don't mind.
- 1200. Because I deserve it.
- 1201. Tell me where the fucking pills are.
- 1202. Tell me where the pills are.
- 1203. Um…
- 1204. Mmm.
- 1205. And that, Malcolm,
is what authenticity buys you.
- 1206. Well, damn!
Why didn't you do that in the audition?
- 1207. You are, by far, the most excruciating,
difficult, stubbornly obnoxious woman
- 1208. I've ever met in my entire life.
- 1209. I go from wanting
to cut your head off one moment
- 1210. to wanting to kiss your beautiful,
stupid little face the next.
- 1211. I fucking love you.
- 1212. I love you.
- 1213. - Should we get married?
- Not in the mood.
- 1214. I feel like we're gonna
get married and divorced
- 1215. a couple times, might as well start now.
- 1216. No.
- 1217. - I'm so turned on right now.
- I'm not.
- 1218. All this madness was about you,
and that scene,
- 1219. sayin' to me
that you could do it better than Taylor
- 1220. and seed doubt in my mind that,
for the rest of my life,
- 1221. - the movie could've been better.
- 1222. - Yes. That's exactly what you doin'.
- Mm-mmm. No.
- 1223. - That's bullshit.
- It's not!
- 1224. Brilliant!
- 1225. You know what's interesting
about the white girl from LA Times
- 1226. calling out that scene in her review?
- 1227. Marie, who cares?
- 1228. I mean, I've always said,
it was my least favorite in the film.
- 1229. But my favorite in the script.
- 1230. Can we talk about this later, please?
- 1231. - I think it's important, you know?
- I beg you.
- 1232. To look back and wonder why that is.
- 1233. - Don't you?
- 1234. Not to strip you of your mystery,
you know, just out of curiosity.
- 1235. Out of pursuit of wanting to be,
I don't know, a better fucking artist.
- 1236. Oh. You are exhausting.
- 1237. You gonna be this exhausting at 70
or will you have exhausted yourself?
- 1238. That depends where you are.
- 1239. Living with the white girl
from the LA Times
- 1240. because at least I can
win an argument against her.
- 1241. But, you know. It just made me wonder,
why did I see that scene so differently?
- 1242. I don't know. How did you see the scene?
- 1243. It was less graphic.
- 1244. So what? He doesn't attack Imani?
That's what it was on the page.
- 1245. No, he attacks her. I just never thought
that you'd shoot it with her top off.
- 1246. - What's the difference?
- Her tits were out.
- 1247. - So?
- So, I just feel like you sexualized her.
- 1248. If I rolled a camera on you
right now, am I sexualizing you,
- 1249. or is this what you have on,
on a Friday night?
- 1250. My tits aren't out.
- 1251. If you were in a Chuck E. Cheese,
they'd throw your ass out.
- 1252. - It was Taylor's idea anyway.
- I'm sure it was.
- 1253. Look, it just made
everything more graphic.
- 1254. Okay? And I just thought…
- 1255. would the scene have been
a bit different if you were a woman?
- 1256. Yes, but I also would have shot
the entire movie differently
- 1257. because I wouldn't have been me,
I would've been a woman.
- 1258. I would've had
a totally different sensibility.
- 1259. But that's not how
you judge film intelligently,
- 1260. by the 600 trillion different choices
not made due to an intangible
- 1261. yet purely hypothetical
assessment of one's identity.
- 1262. But rather the choices
actually being fucking made.
- 1263. Look, I'm not defending her
as a great fuckin' thinker.
- 1264. Good. 'Cause she's an idiot.
- 1265. I'm just saying… would the movie
have been a little better
- 1266. if you had a dash of femininity?
- 1267. - Who gives a fuck?
- I do.
- 1268. - Fuck.
- I do. I do.
- 1269. I do, Malcolm,
because it just made me wonder
- 1270. if the problem
she has with you as a filmmaker
- 1271. is the same problem
I have with you as a partner.
- 1272. Well…
- 1273. All that being said and done,
Karen thinks I'm a fucking tour-de-force.
- 1274. Now you like her review?
- 1275. Fucking masterwork is
what you're looking at right now, girl.
- 1276. You're joking, but I'm not.
- 1277. That's unfortunate, because I really
can't keep arguing about this shit.
- 1278. The more I think about it,
her problem is my problem.
- 1279. - Which is what?
- That I'm with you. I haven't walked out.
- 1280. I'm not wondering
what other movies are playing.
- 1281. I got you. I'm on your side,
and then you just…
- 1282. You gotta fucking take shit too far.
- 1283. Come on.
- 1284. No, we're in a fight,
maybe the worst fight we've ever been in,
- 1285. but instead of just making your point
and saying it's not about you,
- 1286. it's an amalgamation of people,
- 1287. you gotta fucking revel in it.
You gotta twist the knife
- 1288. and put images in my head that you and I
both know will never fucking leave me.
- 1289. What?
- 1290. - Kiki.
- 1291. Kiki.
- 1292. - I was angry. What the fuck!
- From outside of St. Louis.
- 1293. - A heart-shaped bathtub?
- I was angry.
- 1294. You're a cheeseball. Ugh! Malcolm!
- 1295. Ew! Ew!
- 1296. Ugh!
- 1297. You're a fucking moron, honestly.
You could've won without all that shit.
- 1298. You could've won
with 20% of what you said,
- 1299. but you cannot help yourself.
It is just who you are.
- 1300. 'Cause if I were ever fucked
in a penthouse suite of a Marriott,
- 1301. in or around a heart-shaped bathtub,
- 1302. I would never fucking
utter a word about it aloud.
- 1303. I would never tell my friends about it,
- 1304. I would never wield it
in a fight as a weapon.
- 1305. You know why?
Because I know it would hurt me
- 1306. way more than it would hurt you.
- 1307. And it's a bummer,
Malcolm, you know?
- 1308. I really enjoyed having sex with you.
Up until about 15 minutes ago,
- 1309. it was an aspect of our relationship
that I genuinely had no complaints about.
- 1310. It was also my only remaining vice,
that and cigarettes.
- 1311. But, well, lo and behold,
you had to take shit too far…
- 1312. Come on.
- 1313. And obliterate any and all joy
there was to be found in fucking you.
- 1314. The gloves were off, okay?
We were in a fight, like…
- 1315. Oh, it didn't support your argument.
It just grossed me the fuck out.
- 1316. It made me go,
"I cannot believe I have unprotected sex
- 1317. with this nasty-ass,
grimy-dicked fuckin' brute,
- 1318. a fuckin' animal,
a fuckin' barnyard animal."
- 1319. That's what you are. A fuckin' hog.
- 1320. You are a shit-where-you-eat hog.
Hog of a human being.
- 1321. Yeah, you fuckin' think it's funny.
- 1322. - You're being dramatic.
- I'm not being dramatic.
- 1323. You think 'cause we had a common enemy
in Karen from the LA Times,
- 1324. all shit is sweet. We good now?
- 1325. Think again, motherfucker. We ain't good.
- 1326. She's my spiritual sister. I mean that.
- 1327. We're both seeking refuge
- 1328. from your assaultive,
battering ram of a fucking personality.
- 1329. Because of your limitations
as a partner, and a filmmaker,
- 1330. we are both ducking for cover.
- 1331. We may not have a lot in common,
but sis and I are in the fucking foxhole.
- 1332. Oh, you are
the last person to talk, Marie.
- 1333. You have fucked,
dated some of the wildest,
- 1334. strangest human beings
that ever walked this planet Earth.
- 1335. You have, one, no fucking standards,
which is a red flag.
- 1336. Two, no fucking type,
which is also a red flag.
- 1337. And three, no discretion.
- 1338. Which means everyone who knows you,
knows you're a red flag
- 1339. and talks about you're a red fucking flag.
- 1340. Well, Malcolm, here's the difference.
- 1341. I'm not lugging my balls around this house
bragging about the places they've been.
- 1342. I don't need to know the details.
- 1343. I don't need to know all the…
the moves and the steps
- 1344. and the places that brought you
to my doorstep. You're here.
- 1345. I loved you unconditionally. Why?
- 1346. Because I value mystery.
- 1347. The unknown. It's what supports
the tension of a relationship
- 1348. and forces us to be the best version
of ourselves. The what-if factor.
- 1349. What if there's someone
who loved him better?
- 1350. Who was smarter, nicer.
- 1351. Woke him up every day
with breakfast and a blowjob.
- 1352. What if I'm not
the best girlfriend he's ever had?
- 1353. What if he dreams of someone else?
- 1354. Better conversations,
a girl with hips and an actual ass
- 1355. instead of this string bean body?
- 1356. Look, I know a little bit about your type.
- 1357. Not so much that I'm paralyzed
with insecurity and doubt.
- 1358. So that every single day when I get up,
- 1359. and I talk to you,
and I wear this fancy fuckin' dress,
- 1360. and I hold your hand,
- 1361. I'm trying to be the best girlfriend
you have ever had.
- 1362. So, when you tell me
that who I'm up against is Kiki…
- 1363. - Here we go with the bullshit. Here we go.
- …from St. Louis,
- 1364. in a heart-shaped bathtub,
it makes me give a lot less of a fuck.
- 1365. You gotta bring up all the shit.
- 1366. I don't know where you're going,
but I'm not done.
- 1367. I'm not even fucking close to being done.
- 1368. But what it also makes me realize,
the reason you don't get jealous
- 1369. is because you don't
value that mystery, do you?
- 1370. The reason you don't value it,
- 1371. the reason why you never wonder
if you're the best fuck I've ever had,
- 1372. or the most talented person
I've ever been with,
- 1373. or the kindest, or the smartest,
- 1374. it's because it is inconceivable to you
- 1375. that there is anybody on this planet
that is more interesting than you are.
- 1376. Your lack of curiosity is merely
an extension of your narcissism,
- 1377. your megalomania,
your egotistical view of the world.
- 1378. As a result of never doubting yourself,
- 1379. you never stopped to ask yourself,
"How can I be a better partner?"
- 1380. You're good. You are set.
- 1381. The man I'm looking at right now
is as good as he's gonna get.
- 1382. You yelling at me in a bathtub
- 1383. about how you're
gonna snap me like a twig,
- 1384. is the best and worst of who
you will be in this relationship.
- 1385. And that's why you can forget
to thank me in your speech.
- 1386. Because you're not afraid that I'm gonna
come home and go…
- 1387. "You know what? You lost me tonight.
Fuck this shit. I am out."
- 1388. But if you steamroll every single person
in your midst, day in and day out,
- 1389. you are going to end up living
in a fictional fucking reality.
- 1390. Look at me.
- 1391. I'm the last person standing.
- 1392. I'm the last person to look at you and go,
"You know what? Up your fucking game."
- 1393. "If not for me, then for your work."
- 1394. Malcolm, if this is a movie,
you hold on to me for dear fucking life.
- 1395. Because that's who
we've been for one another.
- 1396. That's who you've been for me
and I've been for you from the day we met.
- 1397. From the day I overdosed in that market,
from the day you drove me to rehab.
- 1398. From the first day I read your script
- 1399. about me, about us,
about our relationship.
- 1400. About how drugs
were destroying my ability to love you
- 1401. and your ability to love me.
- 1402. All I wanted tonight
was a "thank you," Malcolm. That is it.
- 1403. That's all.
- 1404. "Thank you, Marie.
Thank you for loving me."
- 1405. "Thank you for making my life better,
for getting your life together."
- 1406. "Thank you for watching 100 cuts
and reading 100 fucking drafts."
- 1407. "Thank you for your notes,
your experience, your patience,
- 1408. your authen-fucking-ticity
you bring to this film. Thank you."
- 1409. "Thank you for being a drug addict.
Thank you for being clean."
- 1410. "Thank you for dumb shit,
like buying toilet paper and milk
- 1411. and organizing
the shit with the movers. Thank you."
- 1412. "Thank you for doing
the shit I don't wanna think about."
- 1413. "Thank you for making me coffee.
Thank you for making me smile."
- 1414. "Thank you for the good sex
and the cuddles."
- 1415. "Thank you for doing the laundry
and picking out my suit tonight
- 1416. and making my ungrateful ass
some mac and cheese
- 1417. after I forgot to fuckin' thank you."
- 1418. "Thank you for the mistakes you've made…
- 1419. for the charm you bring,
the life you bring."
- 1420. "Thank you for loving me."
- 1421. "Thank you for getting over this,
for moving forward, for being you."
- 1422. "Thank you for all the shit
I forget to thank you for…
- 1423. and thank you for looking
so goddamn sexy in that dress tonight."
- 1424. "You make me look good."
- 1425. "You make me a better person."
- 1426. "Thank you for understanding
- 1427. that I'm not always great
at expressing how I feel
- 1428. and it comes out in my work
more than in real life."
- 1429. "Thank you because…
- 1430. I know it doesn't always feel good,
so I hope you can live with that."
- 1431. "Thank you."
- 1432. "I know I'm emotionally obtuse sometimes,
- 1433. but I'm grateful
you don't hold it against me."
- 1434. "Thank you…
- 1435. for assuming the best."
- 1436. "I love you, Marie.
I'll always love you, my Marie."
- 1437. "Thank you."
- 1438. "From the bottom of my heart, thank you."
- 1439. I love you, Marie.
- 1440. I'm sorry.
- 1441. Thank you.
- 1442. You're welcome.
- 1443. Marie?
- 1444. Marie?
- 1445. Marie!
- 1446. Marie!