- 1. 'Norway, 1987.
- 2. 'A verywealthy and religious country,
far up in the Northern Hemisphere.
- 3. 'Look how much fun we have
in the streets of Oslo on a normal day.
- 4. 'And that's our king
with his cool top hat.
- 5. 'This is where I live
with my typical Norwegian family.
- 6. 'And that's my dad's Volvo
in the driveway.
- 7. 'My home country:
grey, boring, seal-clubbing,
- 8. 'and a very high suicide rate.
- 9. 'And that's me,
an average teenager, you may think,
- 10. 'but you couldn't be more wrong.
- 11. 'I am Oystein Aarseth,
- 12. 'and I was brought to this world
to create suffering, chaos and death.
- 13. 'This is my story,
and it will end badly.'
- 14. Cut him.
- 15. - What?
- Cut him.
- 16. - What?
- Get up!
- 17. - Put a scar on his face. Just do it.
- Get off!
- 18. What the fuck is wrong with you?
- 19. - What are you doing up there?
- You're such a dick.
- 20. Got the four-string crush-fucker
- 21. And on drums, give it up for
the devil's favourite demon, Manheim!
- 22. We are Mayhem!
- 23. Mum, tell her to get out of here!
- 24. - You guys suck.
- Get the fuck out of here.
- 25. - Get the fuck out of here.
- Go! Get out! Go!
- 26. Again.
- 27. 'Life was so easy back then.
- 28. 'It was all about having fun, getting
drunk, playing hard and loud music.'
- 29. - Hey!
- Oh, fuck.
- 30. 'We didn't give a shit
about anything else.'
- 31. - Hey, stop!
- That way! Oh, shit!
- 32. 'And when people told us what to do
or how to behave, we always said...'
- 33. Fuck you!
- 34. Come on.
- 35. What do you think? Do I look evil?
- 36. I like it.
- 37. - Really? Promise?
- 38. You know what happens
if you break a promise?
- 39. Satan comes after you.
- 40. I am the beast!
I am the beast incarnate!
- 41. - Hey, guys. This is Jorn.
- You can call me Metalion.
- 42. - Let's do it.
- Yeah, that's great.
- 43. Yeah. Fuck, yeah!
- 44. Get off me.
- 45. - I need a cigarette.
- Oh, oh!
- 46. 'We were world-famous all over Oslo.
- 47. 'We even had fans,
real fucking dedicated Mayhem fans.
- 48. 'And then our idiot drummer
decided to leave the band.'
- 49. Laters.
- 50. 'So we upgraded with this handsome
fellow, Jan Axel, AKA Hellhammer.'
- 51. One, two, three!
- 52. 'So now I got the best drummer
- 53. 'a mad kick-ass bass player,
- 54. 'and I came up with this new guitar sound
that would change the world forever.
- 55. 'Ladies and gentlemen,
I give you Norwegian Black Metal!
- 56. 'But we needed one more thing
to complete the band,
- 57. 'a strong front man and lead singer.
- 58. 'We searched the world,
and one day, we got a reply.'
- 59. - What the hell's that stink?
- Fuck me.
- 60. - Oh, fuck.
- 61. - Oh, fuck.
- Oh, that's fucking disgusting.
- 62. Don't you fucking puke
in my dad's car!
- 63. Watch out, man.
- 64. Fuck!
- 65. - Shit, man.
- No, no, the tape.
- 66. Don't throw out the fucking tape.
- 67. This better be good.
- 68. 'Holy shit.
We never heard anyone sing like that.
- 69. 'It was beautiful,
the perfect voice for Mayhem.'
- 70. - Suck a dick!
- Satan fucks children!
- 71. 'I had to get him.
- 72. 'Turns out he wasn't
from Transylvania at all,
- 73. 'but from Sweden,
our next-door neighbour.
- 74. 'He packed up all his shit
and headed to Norway to join my band.'
- 75. Shit. Fuck!
- 76. What the fuck?
- 77. Hey, hey, hey! Don't touch that.
- 78. 'His name was Pelle Ohlin...'
- 79. Uh...
- 80. '... but he called himself Dead.'
- 81. All right.
- 82. 'And together,
we moved into this luxurious villa
- 83. 'in the province of Kraktorp.'
- 84. Pelle, you in there?
- 85. Are we ready to rock?
- 86. 'We isolated ourselves
and focused on our dark, evil music.'
- 87. 'After a year together in the house,
we became close friends.
- 88. 'He could not hide his darkness
- 89. 'As a child, he was bullied
and beaten up so bad,
- 90. 'he actually died for a moment.
- 91. 'That moment came to define
his whole existence.
- 92. 'He devoted his life to death.'
- 93. You know, there's a way out
if you're so fucking depressed.
- 94. One shot to the head,
and it's all over, no more pain.
- 95. Come on, fucker. Get up!
- 96. 'And he hated cats more than anything.'
- 97. - Hey, there's a cat out there.
- For real?
- 98. Swear to God. Let's blow the
little fuck to pieces, huh?
- 99. Ahh! Where is it?
- 100. There he is.
There it is, the little fucker!
- 101. Still there?
- 102. Do it.
- 103. What?
- 104. Pull the trigger.
- 105. - Fuck, do you mean it?
- You said it yourself...
- 106. "One shot to the head,
and it's all over."
- 107. Come on!
- 108. Pull the fucking trigger!
- 109. Don't smile.
You'll fuck up the make-up.
- 110. - Sorry.
- This is not a joke.
- 111. - You are terror incarnate.
- I'm terror incarnate.
- 112. - The ruler of chaos and death.
- 113. Now, remember,
you have to get your poses right, too.
- 114. Aargh!
- 115. Everyone around you are disgusting,
worthless little insects.
- 116. We are the lords of chaos!
- 117. Destroyer of worlds.
- 118. No?
- 119. Fucking cool!
- 120. Hail Satan!
- 121. Metalion, Jorn, take our picture.
- 122. - Fuck, yeah.
- What do you think?
- 123. - Yeah?
- Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.
- 124. - Fucking pumas incoming.
- Oh, my God.
- 125. Jorn!
- 126. - Ann-Marit, this is Oystein.
- 127. Sorry. Uh, Euronymous.
- 128. - Are you in a band or something?
- I'm the leader of the band.
- 129. - What band?
- 130. - Never heard of you guys.
- You will.
- 131. You will.
- 132. Okay.
- 133. - Fuck, man!
- Oh, sorry, man. I'm sorry.
- 134. Die, motherfucker!
- 135. I want to fucking die.
- 136. What are you doing?
- 137. This is, like, way worse than...
- 138. - What the fuck is that?
- It's my stage clothes.
- 139. 'Dead's raw talent,
dedication and fucked-up brain
- 140. 'became a big influence on all of us,
- 141. 'and it was time to introduce
the more evil-than-ever Mayhem
- 142. 'to our local Black Metalheads
and create some chaos.'
- 143. What are you doing?
What's in the bag?
- 144. - Inhaling death.
- Oh, fucking disgusting!
- 145. Aargh! What the fuck?
Fuck! Is that real?
- 146. That's it. Yeah. Grab his hair.
- 147. All right. Let's go.
Showtime. Let's go, let's go.
- 148. Hey, good luck, guys.
- 149. How are you?
- 150. You guys are the best metal band
in the world.
- 151. - Yeah.
- Fuck, yeah!
- 152. We're not just a fucking metal band.
- 153. I'm sick of all those speed
and death metal bands,
- 154. all that Swedish shit.
- 155. All they do is celebrate life and party.
- 156. They should just call it "life metal".
- 157. We play Black Metal,
true Norwegian Black Metal, and...
- 158. Lokringer plate ready for pick-up!
- 159. You guys were very good.
- 160. The gig, it was very good.
- 161. My name is Kristian.
I'm from, uh...
- 162. I'm from Bergen.
- 163. Scorpions?
- 164. Drive carefully, darling.
- 165. 'You've reached Hell House...
- 166. - 'The Prince of Darkness, Euronymous...'
- 'And Dead the corpse.'
- 167. - 'Can't come to the phone right now.'
- 'Cos we're busy sacrificing children...'
- 168. 'To Satan. Ha-ha-ha-ha!'
- 169. 'Hi, Pelle. It's Dad...'
- 170. 'I have some good news.
- 171. 'We got the letter today, and you got
accepted to university. Congratulations!
- 172. 'Also, we're going to the summer house,
and we would love it if you'd come.'
- 173. Pelle, you lazy fuck!
- 174. Fucker.
- 175. All right.
- 176. Oh, fuck!
- 177. You jerking off again?
- 178. Fuck.
- 179. Why did...? Fuck.
- 180. How could...?
- 181. We just...
- 182. 'What's your emergency?'
- 183. - Hello?
- Pelle's gone home.
- 184. - Back to Sweden?
- No, he blew his head off.
- 185. - Did you get them?
- I got them.
- 186. Ooh.
- 187. This is the one.
This is going to make us famous.
- 188. Mayhem will be the band
with the singer who blew his head off.
- 189. Hey. We should say
I ate a piece of his brain, too.
- 190. Yeah.
- 191. I got something for you guys.
This is good.
- 192. Every member of Mayhem will wear this
at all times from now on.
- 193. - It's him.
- 194. - What do you mean, "It's him"?
- It's him. Dead.
- 195. Oh, what the fuck?
- 196. - What the fuck are you doing?
- What the fuck am I doing?
- 197. No fucking way am I wearing
that shit. It's sick.
- 198. He was our friend,
and now he's fucking dead.
- 199. - I don't have any friends, nor should you.
- This is so fucking wrong.
- 200. It's supposed to be wrong.
People are supposed to hate what we do.
- 201. People are supposed to think
we're fucked in the head.
- 202. Well, you fucking are.
- 203. You do as I say,
or you're out of my band.
- 204. - It's your band?
- 205. You're fired.
Get the fuck out of my face.
- 206. You've gone too far.
- 207. Shit, man.
Jorn, come back!
- 208. - He's coming back, right?
- 209. No. He's replaceable.
- 210. He's replaceable!
- 211. 'I had to get out
of that fucking house.
- 212. 'I couldn't deal with it.
- 213. 'It was time to move
into the next chapter of my story
- 214. 'and fulfil one of my dreams.'
- 215. Aaargh!
- 216. 'So with a little help
from my friendly father,
- 217. 'I opened my record store, Helvete,
Norwegian for "hell".'
- 218. Welcome.
- 219. 'I wanted to create a place
for me and my people,
- 220. 'a temple for evil, chaos,
and Black Metal.'
- 221. I like your new place, Euronymous.
- 222. I've been planning this for years.
- 223. This place is for us and us only,
- 224. the Inner Circle, the Black Circle.
- 225. 'I was building my own empire.
- 226. 'Everything that happened
made me immune to reality.
- 227. 'I had no more limitations.
- 228. 'I could do whatever the fuck I wanted.
Nothing could stop me.'
- 229. Why do you sell this shit?
- 230. I thought this place was true metal.
- 231. It is. I got music you can't find
anywhere else in the world,
- 232. just not on display for posers.
- 233. - So where is it?
- If you know it, you'll find it.
- 234. But a poser won't find shit.
- 235. - You want to buy it or listen to it?
- 236. I released that on my record label,
- 237. Beer!
- 238. You want a glass of milk?
- 239. - What's your name?
- Oh, it's, uh, it's Kristian, right?
- 240. Are you a...
are you a Christian, Kristian?
- 241. Not anymore.
- 242. - Not anymore?
- So what are you now?
- 243. I mean, I've changed my name to Varg.
- 244. Mm... Varg. I like Varg.
- 245. "Not anymore."
- 246. Fucking poser.
- 247. - Want some?
- Oh, no. I don't eat meat.
- 248. - No?
- 249. - Like Hitler.
- Yeah, exactly like Hitler.
- 250. I'm sorry about your singer.
- 251. So you've got, um, your own band,
- 252. your own record shop,
and your own label.
- 253. Mm... Each of these red dots
is a pen pal
- 254. who sends me demo tapes,
and I send a few in return.
- 255. South America, Central America,
- 256. Countries all over the world
make dark, evil music.
- 257. - You know why?
- 258. Things are miserable.
- 259. People are ruled by dictatorship.
- 260. Just like us here in Norway.
- 261. Like us?
- 262. - In... in Norway?
- 263. The fucking church,
- 264. they're oppressing us
with their kindness and their goodness,
- 265. brainwashing an entire population
- 266. with fake empathy
and fucked-up solidarity.
- 267. I hate them and their churches.
- 268. We should burn them down.
- 269. You get it, right?
- 270. - I mean, you're a Satanist, right?
- 271. - Fuck!
- 272. Got something for your label.
- 273. Burzum?
- 274. - Who else is in the band?
- No, it's... it's me.
- 275. It's just me.
- 276. Varg, the lone wolf. I like it.
- 277. Hail Satan! Aargh!
- 278. 'Party's over.'
- 279. 'I was stunned.
- 280. 'Just like the first time
I heard Pelle's voice.
- 281. 'Where the hell
did this poser come from,
- 282. 'and how can he be so fucking perfect?
- 283. 'This was exactly the kind of shit
I needed for my label.
- 284. 'It was true Norwegian Black Metal.'
- 285. Holy shit.
Faust, you have to listen to this.
- 286. It's a fucking masterpiece.
- 287. 'I had to talk to this fucking poser.'
- 288. Seriously evil music, man.
- 289. It's perfect for my label.
- 290. Only one fucking problem...
- 291. - Good luck.
- Hey, wait. Wait, I can get the money.
- 292. Just please, please shut up!
- 293. So what, you're rich?
- 294. My mother will pay.
- 295. 'So the poser's mother actually paid.
- 296. 'We joined forces, and together we recorded
Burzum's first ever studio recording
- 297. 'at the legendary Grieghallen Studio.'
- 298. - How you feeling?
- I'm feeling great.
- 299. Yeah, yeah?
- 300. Satan!
- 301. I'm going to fuck that one.
I'm going to fuck you so good.
- 302. I want one microphone
in the centre of the room, nothing else.
- 303. That's going to sound horrible.
- 304. - That's the whole point.
- 305. 'He had some really bad ideas,
but with a little help from me,
- 306. 'the end result was true metal,
- 307. 'metal enough for him
to become part of the Black Circle.'
- 308. You know that plumber
I was talking about?
- 309. Bad hygiene...
- 310. My next album's almost done.
The most evil music you've ever heard.
- 311. - It's my band.
- It's coming out on my label.
- 312. Cool. So are you planning any gigs?
- 313. Of course not. Concerts are
for those Swedish Life Metal bands.
- 314. Exactly!
Posers claiming to be Satanists
- 315. when all they want to do is drink beer
and have a good time.
- 316. I hate that, all those Death Metal kids
with their stupid Morbid Angel T-shirts.
- 317. They're making a trend out of something
that was meant to instil fear.
- 318. We should put them in the showers
and gas them to death.
- 319. "Gas them to death"?
- 320. - Aargh!
- Fuck off!
- 321. - You're so fucking drunk, mate.
- Hail Satan!
- 322. You should take my picture.
- 323. - Maybe.
- You should.
- 324. - I don't know.
- Faust, do it! Do it!
- 325. What the fuck is wrong with you?
- 326. Okay, okay, okay!
That's enough. That's enough.
- 327. - Go, go, go.
- 328. Whoo!
- 329. So is this where you take
all your groupies?
- 330. We don't have any fucking groupies.
- 331. You wouldn't know
what to do with them anyways.
- 332. We don't want any fucking groupies.
- 333. We're into destruction and suffering.
- 334. When people hear our music,
we want them to commit suicide.
- 335. You think we're just saying this?
- 336. I think it's all just some stupid image.
- 337. Well, that's bullshit. We're for real.
- 338. Well, I don't know. It seems like
you just copied Venom to me.
- 339. You know all that Satanist talk
was just an image, right?
- 340. - Says who?
- 341. When they say it was just an image...
that's just part of their image.
- 342. So when are you going
to take my picture?
- 343. - I never said I would.
- Why don't we go upstairs and talk about it?
- 344. Why don't we all stay?
- 345. Take off your clothes.
- 346. Are you fucking deaf?
- 347. I said take off your clothes now.
- 348. Turn the fucking volume down.
- 349. I wonder what it feels like to penetrate
a knife into a human body.
- 350. - You should find out.
- Yeah, maybe I should.
- 351. A uf wie ders eh en, gentlemen.
Please come again.
- 352. Uh, thank you.
- 353. Is this, uh... Deathlike Silence?
- 354. Deathlike Silence!
Yeah, that's us.
- 355. Thank you, Mr Postman.
It's your fucking record.
- 356. - Fucking great.
- Oh, shit.
- 357. And they printed it wrong.
- 358. It should be "Spell of Destruction"
not "Black Spell of Destruction".
- 359. No, I changed it.
- 360. Why would you do that?
- 361. Because it's better with "black".
- 362. When will I get paid?
- 363. First we sell some,
then you get paid some.
- 364. We have to let people know
the album's out, get some attention.
- 365. You have any ideas?
- 366. I thought you were the marketing genius,
but I could have some ideas.
- 367. Please feel free. Good luck!
- 368. - Hey, man, turn it up.
- 369. The fucking TV, turn it up!
- 370. 'Local police suspect
the fire was deliberate.
- 371. 'No suspects so far.'
- 372. - He did it.
- Who did what?
- 373. - Varg, the church, he did that.
- That's awesome.
- 374. - Fuck.
- That's cool.
- 375. I said we need a promotion,
and he fucking did it.
- 376. - Holy shit.
- And I told him to do it.
- 377. - Fuck, this is cool.
- I told him to do it.
- 378. - Fuck.
- It's on the fucking news.
- 379. Holy fuck.
- 380. 'The Norwegian police
are still looking for the suspect
- 381. 'responsible for
the Fantoft Church burning.
- 382. - 'The church had been built in...'
- Holy shit.
- 383. - Dude, Varg is a fucking hero.
- 384. ' Fantoft Stave Church in Bergen.'
- 385. 'He did it.
- 386. 'And he made us all look
like fucking Boy Scouts.
- 387. 'Shit!
- 388. 'He fucking did it.'
- 389. He's here now.
- 390. Hey, turn it down.
- 391. What you did was fucking cool.
- 392. I've been talking about it for years.
- 393. I'm glad you got inspired.
- 394. - Inspired?
- We finally did it.
- 395. - We did it?
- Yeah, that's right.
- 396. Now, think of all the people
who are so sad and broken up
- 397. about what happened to their dear,
holy, ancient fucking church.
- 398. Hail Satan, my lord!
- 399. Laugh now, you fake fucking Nazi.
- 400. 'After the Fantoft Church burning,
- 401. 'everything became
a fucking competition.
- 402. 'Whatever I did, Varg did
ten times bigger and better...
- 403. 'His creativity was exploding.
- 404. 'He fucked anything that moved.
- 405. 'He added another stupid name
to his list of names: Greifi Grishnackh.
- 406. 'The girls lined up for fucking.'
- 407. - Is Greifi here?
- No, he's not fucking here! Get out!
- 408. 'The world I built
was about to fall apart.
- 409. 'And how many fucking girls
can one fuck?'
- 410. 'There were churches
burning all over.
- 411. 'My future and success disappeared
behind his actions. Fuck!
- 412. 'I had to do something about it.'
- 413. I hereby appoint you...
- 414. the bass player of Mayhem.
- 415. It's an honour.
- 416. Congratulations, man.
- 417. Oystein... we should burn
one down together.
- 418. - I don't know, Kristian.
- Call me Varg.
- 419. Yeah, I'm going to... I'm out of here.
I'll see you guys later.
- 420. - You've already done it.
- Yes, but you said it yourself...
- 421. "We should burn them all down."
- 422. Hey, wait.
- 423. For what?
- 424. You know what was here...
- 425. this very piece of land, before the
Christians came and raped this country?
- 426. A sacrificial altar to Odin.
- 427. The Christians built this disgusting church
right on our ancestors' holiest site.
- 428. Fucking disrespectful, isn't it?
- 429. Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh. Ahh!
- 430. - Wait. Is that a fucking...?
- 431. Wait. Are you're just going to...?
- 432. I'm going to leave it there,
and it's going to explode.
- 433. 10, 9, 8, 7...
- 434. 6, 6, 6...
- 435. 3, 2, 1.
- 436. Fuck!
- 437. Um, um, Kristian...
I mean, Varg!
- 438. I mean, Greifi, seriously, man.
It could be a dud.
- 439. Yeah, you burn that fucking Bible.
- 440. Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho!
- 441. - Yeah. Yeah.
- Come on. Let's go. Let's go.
- 442. - Whoa!
- Go, go.
- 443. Okay...
- 444. You're a fucking maniac.
- 445. Burn, motherfucker!
- 446. All right. All right, Let's go.
- 447. '... church burnings
all over the country.
- 448. 'Can you tell us what happened
here at Revheim last night?'
- 449. 'The only thing we do know
is that the fire started
- 450. 'around 5:00am in the morning,
and it could all be a very...'
- 451. Come on, boys.
- 452. It's your favourite,
- 453. Honey, have you seen
the news? It's insane.
- 454. 'There are clear tracks of evidence of
Satanic activity at the Revheim Church.'
- 455. - Mum, I'm going out!
- Okay, honey.
- 456. I'm right here.
You don't have to be afraid.
- 457. We can do whatever you want.
- 458. I was exactly like you. Okay?
- 459. I used to go around,
carrying all those...
- 460. Not here.
- 461. Aargh!
- 462. - When will I get paid?
- Anytime now.
- 463. I need it.
I have to pay back my mum.
- 464. She'll get her money soon.
- 465. I thought we sold a lot.
- 466. Well, first we need to recoup
everything. Then you'll get paid.
- 467. The studio was expensive.
- 468. - 'It was early this morning...'
- I did it.
- 469. '... in Lillehammer when a jogger
discovered the body
- 470. 'of a 43-year-old man
who was stabbed to death...'
- 471. - That... that was you?
- 472. W-what? W-when?
- 473. Last night.
- 474. That was...
- 475. That was a really smart
fucking move, man.
- 476. Congratulations.
- 477. You'll be the new hero
of the Black Circle.
- 478. We should celebrate.
Let's burn down a fucking church, huh?
- 479. Yeah.
- 480. Yeah, let's fucking do it.
- 481. - All right.
- All right.
- 482. There you go.
- 483. Yeah!
- 484. Hey, come on.
Don't just stand there.
- 485. You're the master of this shit, right?
- 486. Fuck this shit.
- 487. That's right.
Let's get you good and wet.
- 488. Faust...
- 489. you do the honours.
- 490. For Jesus and his disciples.
- 491. Let's go.
- 492. Ha-ha!
- 493. Whoo!
- 494. Burn the fucking thing down!
- 495. - Whoa!
- Fucking piece of shit.
- 496. - Whoo!
- Yeah! Ha-ha!
- 497. Ahh!
- 498. - Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!
- Let's go! Let's go!
- 499. You're so fucking drunk, mate. Ha-ha!
- 500. - Hey!
- 501. - Nice armour.
- Congrats on the fire, guys.
- 502. There's something else
you guys should know.
- 503. This must stay within the circle.
- 504. Faust killed someone.
- 505. Shit...
- 506. Stabbed a human to death.
- 507. Shit.
- 508. Yeah, we talked about what it would
feel like to put a knife in a body.
- 509. - We did?
- 510. I said, "What the fuck?
You should try it."
- 511. And he followed my advice.
- 512. So from now on,
we have to lay low.
- 513. - Yeah.
- Yeah, sure.
- 514. Why would we do that?
- 515. Oh, you know, we've taken it
to a whole new level.
- 516. In what way?
- 517. Homicide investigation.
- 518. I'm sure they'll come after us
for all the other stuff, too.
- 519. So we're just gonna run
and hide like fucking chickens?
- 520. You just do as I fucking say, okay?
- 521. 'Everything was taken to a new level.'
- 522. 'Terror has swept across Norway...
He was stabbed to death.'
- 523. 'I could feel the cops
snooping around the store.'
- 524. 'The Norwegian police are still looking
for the suspects responsible.'
- 525. 'They had their eyes on me.
They were on to me.
- 526. 'Or was I just getting paranoid?'
- 527. 'The police are still looking...'
- 528. 'All of this
became bigger than expected.
- 529. 'Our fucked-up fantasies had turned
into an even more fucked-up reality.
- 530. 'This is not what I signed up for!
- 531. 'I wanted out, but I couldn't
find the fucking door.'
- 532. 'The police have launched
- 533. 'Fuck!
- 534. 'All this evil and dark crap
was supposed to be fun.
- 535. 'I was sick and tired
of everything going to shit...'
- 536. '... so I decided to move forward
and focus on myself and the future.'
- 537. 'The fire at the Methodist church
in Sarpsborg left one fireman dead...'
- 538. All right, let's go.
- 539. Stand still.
- 540. Lift your head more. Okay.
- 541. Move your head.
- 542. Now look at me just with your eyes.
- 543. Okay, maybe not.
- 544. Okay, move your eyes
more to the right.
- 545. There. Perfect, okay.
- 546. Don't be so serious.
- 547. - Yeah. Sorry.
- 548. That was good.
- 549. What's on your mind?
- 550. Pull the fucking trigger!
- 551. - Morning.
- 552. Aah...
- 553. You really miss him, don't you?
- 554. No.
- 555. This is it...
- 556. The biggest cathedral in all of Norway.
- 557. We'll have it on the album cover.
- 558. - Nice.
- It's from the 1100s.
- 559. And now, in 1993,
we're going to blow it up.
- 560. Wait, blow it up?
- 561. - You guys ready?
- Come on. Let's go, guys.
- 562. Varg's already
burnt down seven churches.
- 563. I don't get it.
- 564. You want to have the cathedral
on the cover,
- 565. but you don't want to blow it up.
- 566. - It's just an album cover.
- No. It's not just an album cover.
- 567. You had Fantoft on the cover of "Aske".
You even included matches.
- 568. That was a call to action.
- 569. Use the matches to burn down
a church like I did.
- 570. - Come on, Kristian...
- My name is Varg.
- 571. We're in this together.
We want the same thing.
- 572. - We do?
- 573. In that case, let's get
some fucking dynamite...
- 574. - You guys coming?
- ... and let's blow this up.
- 575. Yeah... I will wait in there.
- 576. - You do what you want.
- I don't need your blessing.
- 577. I want you and me to do this together.
- 578. - Let's go, guys!
- We need to get back in there...
- 579. The fact that Norway
is ruled by a dictatorship
- 580. and our people are brainwashed
- 581. with empathy and solidarity
by the church,
- 582. and their stupid Christianity
doesn't bother you anymore?
- 583. Of course it does. I hate that shit.
- 584. Either you do it for the cause
and you take action,
- 585. or you do it
because you want attention
- 586. and you want to be
a stupid-ass celebrity rock star.
- 587. You can't have it both ways.
- 588. Is that supposed to be his back or...?
- 589. - I think it's his ass.
- 590. He got stabbed in the ass.
- 591. All right, asshole.
- 592. All right.
- 593. - Hello?
- I'm going public.
- 594. Public? What are you talking about?
- 595. I'm going to the press.
We have to take this to the next level.
- 596. The next level is jail.
- 597. We talk about it in such a way that
our identity will be kept anonymous.
- 598. What's the point of going
to the press, then?
- 599. We have to introduce them
to the Black Circle.
- 600. They need to know what we've done
and that we intend to do more.
- 601. This is a bad idea. No.
- 602. I'm not asking
for your permission, Oystein.
- 603. Why the fuck are you calling me, then?
- 604. I don't care what you say.
I'm doing it.
- 605. It's going to affect all of us, all right?
I already have the police following me.
- 606. They're probably
outside your window now.
- 607. You're paranoid, absolutely paranoid.
- 608. I'm not fucking paranoid.
If you do this, we're fucked, Kristian.
- 609. Varg! My name is Varg!
- 610. Okay.
Just do as I fucking say, Varg.
- 611. Fuck you.
- 612. My name is Greifi Grishnackh.
- 613. Greifi Grishnackh.
- 614. Greifi. Greifi.
- 615. Ah... Ow!
- 616. Hi, I'm Finn Tender.
- 617. And this is my photographer.
- 618. Greifi Grishnackh.
- 619. Pardon?
- 620. Greifi Grishnackh.
- 621. - I'm sorry, what are you saying?
- Count. Call me The Count.
- 622. - Okay.
- Okay. Sit down.
- 623. Great.
- 624. Okay...
- 625. Er... you called me,
so what do you want?
- 626. I know who's responsible
for the recent church burnings.
- 627. And who would that be?
- 628. It's... it's a group of people.
- 629. They call themselves the Black Circle.
- 630. - How many are you?
- Well, there's six of us, and...
- 631. So you and the so-called Black Circle,
- 632. you like to burn down churches.
- 633. Isn't it obvious?
- 634. Do you know when the first church
was burned down?
- 635. Uh, Fantoft?
- 636. - Not exactly.
- The 6th of June.
- 637. The sixth month,
at 6:00 in the morning.
- 638. 666.
- 639. 666, the number of Satan.
So you're Satanists?
- 640. What are you doing? He can't take
any pictures of me, for fuck's sake!
- 641. Okay, calm down.
- 642. - No pictures, okay?
- 643. Okay, so...
And why do you do this?
- 644. Is it a protest against society or...?
- 645. Bring us back to our origins.
- 646. - Our origins?
- 647. So you believe in paganism,
and you're a Satanist,
- 648. and you're... you're also a Nazi.
- 649. That's a pretty broad belief system.
- 650. Well, you know...
these things are all connected.
- 651. That may be hard for a journalist
and normal people to comprehend.
- 652. Yes. Yes, it is.
- 653. We're going to burn down
every single church
- 654. and blow up the biggest cathedral
in all of Norway,
- 655. and we've been involved in murder, too.
- 656. Murder?
- 657. In Lillehammer last year.
- 658. The faggot.
- 659. That was you?
- 660. Well, um... I can't say.
- 661. Well...
- 662. if you can't say, you know,
I can't write, so...
- 663. - Come on. Let's go.
- Wait, are we done already?
- 664. - Wait a minute.
- Tea, anyone?
- 665. Anyone can put up
some black curtains, light candles,
- 666. and look evil and scary,
you know, with a sword,
- 667. but you haven't told me anything
you couldn't have seen on TV
- 668. or read about in the papers.
- 669. - Come on, let's go.
- Wait, wait!
- 670. I know one thing that only the one
who burned down Fantoft could know.
- 671. And what would that be?
- 672. There was a dead rabbit
on the steps of the entrance.
- 673. Okay. Okay. Let's continue.
- 674. - But I need some pictures.
- No. I...
- 675. I can't reveal my identity.
- 676. We can work around that.
Yeah. There's no problem, no.
- 677. - Tell me everything you remember.
- 678. - Just let your hair...
- 679. hang down to cover your face.
- 680. - Can we use this?
- 681. - Do you have a lighter?
- 682. - Can you burn it?
- 683. Fantastic. Great.
- 684. Yeah. Perfect.
- 685. Okay...
- 686. - Can you hold this?
- 687. And maybe you can have that.
- 688. - It looks very evil.
- 689. Maybe you can just look
with one eye, like an evil eye.
- 690. Yeah.
You can't see my face, right?
- 691. No, not at all.
- 692. What a fucking idiot.
- 693. Yes, but that fucking idiot will be
on the front page tomorrow.
- 694. 'The suspect, 19 years old,
known as The Count,
- 695. 'has revealed that
he and five other people
- 696. 'belong to an anti-establishment
Black Satanist cult...'
- 697. Fucking idiot!
- 698. 'In just a heartbeat, the Black Circle
became a fucking circus show.
- 699. 'Varg was the ringmaster,
and we were all his fucking clowns,
- 700. 'and he enjoyed every minute of it.'
- 701. Seriously?
You guys got nothing on me.
- 702. So fucking cool.
Varg's a celebrity now.
- 703. Did your father stop
paying the rent?
- 704. I'm gonna fucking kill him.
- 705. You're going to kill your father?
- 706. - That's fucking sick.
- No, Varg.
- 707. - I'm going to kill Varg.
- Oh, okay.
- 708. I'm going to use this
and paralyse that fucking idiot,
- 709. drag him to the forest,
tie him to a tree, torture him to death,
- 710. and make a fucking snuff film
out of the whole thing!
- 711. For real?
- 712. He fucked it up for all of us!
- 713. We're closed.
- 714. 'Hello. I'm trying to reach
the guitarist from Mayhem.'
- 715. - Who's this?
- My name is Jason Arnopp.
- 716. I'm calling from Kerrang! magazine
- 717. Kerrang! magazine.
- 718. Fuck you, Jan Axel.
- 719. I'm trying to get hold of Euronymous,
- 720. the, uh... the creator of true
Norwegian Black Metal.
- 721. That would be me.
- 722. It's only a matter of time
before Kristian... uh, Varg...
- 723. I mean The Count
gets released from jail.
- 724. I said it all along.
- 725. I'm not saying he didn't do anything,
just the police don't have shit on him.
- 726. 'With The Count locked up,
who's running the Black Circle for him?'
- 727. I am. I've been the leader
from the beginning with The Count.
- 728. Write this: The Count and Euronymous
share leadership of the Black Circle,
- 729. but I'm the creator
of true Norwegian Black Metal.
- 730. 'So let's talk a little about your band.
What's going on with Mayhem?'
- 731. Uh... I'm releasing Mayhem's new album,
"De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas".
- 732. D-E-M-Y. No. Yeah, "Y"...
- 733. I mean, we had a little setback when our
singer Dead blew his brains out, but...
- 734. 'Lots of rumours about photos
of his dead body
- 735. 'and necklaces
made from parts of his skull...
- 736. 'and you eating part of his brain.'
- 737. We're not normal people.
- 738. 'We're not afraid of a dead body.'
- 739. It's not every day
you get the chance to see one.'
- 740. 'Er...'
- 741. or taste it.
- 742. 'Hello?
- 743. - 'Hello? Are you still there?'
- 744. 'So what's gonna happen now
with the Black Metal scene in Norway?'
- 745. Only the man with the horns knows.
- 746. We're all his slaves anyway, right?
- 747. You there?
- 748. 'Varg was right,
the police had no evidence.
- 749. 'So they had to release him,
and he was back on the streets.
- 750. 'Norwegian Black Metal became infamous
after our feature in Kerrang! magazine.
- 751. 'Mayhem was once again
- 752. 'I looked forward to seeing him.
We had a lot to talk about.'
- 753. Can you fucking believe it?
- 754. It's weird.
Your name's all over the magazine.
- 755. Says the guy on the cover.
- 756. I'm on the cover
because I talked to the press,
- 757. and now you're taking credit for that.
- 758. - You were against that, remember?
- Yeah, I was not against it. I was just...
- 759. Fuck... You always do that.
- 760. You take credit for everything.
- 761. You think you're the
brains behind it all?
- 762. - What do you mean...?
- We all took action, everyone except you.
- 763. You did nothing.
- 764. I'm the one hounded by journalists.
- 765. I'm the one who can't show my fucking
face without being recognised.
- 766. It's worth it, isn't it?
How does it feel?
- 767. - What the hell are you talking about?
- Being a celebrity.
- 768. You should enjoy the fucking ride.
- 769. I'm going to release my music
on my own label.
- 770. - What does that mean?
- I don't need you anymore.
- 771. Okay.
If that's what you want, okay.
- 772. You'll have to find another idiot
to steal everything from.
- 773. I haven't stolen anything from you.
- 774. You're recording Mayhem's album
- 775. made from Burzum's sales,
money that belongs to me.
- 776. That money went straight back to you.
- 777. You're the bass player of Mayhem now,
- 778. I quit.
- 779. You only put me in the band
to get attention.
- 780. The album's almost finished.
- 781. It's going to be big.
World tour, everything.
- 782. Tour? I thought you were
true Norwegian Black Metal.
- 783. - I fucking invented it.
- And now you betray it!
- 784. You're a hypocrite.
- 785. We should be making true
Black Metal music for a select few.
- 786. Tours are for posers.
- 787. "Never sell out,"
that's what you said.
- 788. Saying things like
"never sell out" fucking sells.
- 789. Come on.
I made all that shit up.
- 790. Nobody gave a shit about us.
- 791. I attracted people by saying, "You
can't have this. You're not worthy."
- 792. - It was just promotion.
- No, no...
- 793. Not for me.
- 794. I believed in it, and I still do.
- 795. So do I.
- 796. But it has to make sense,
it has to sell.
- 797. Otherwise, what the fuck
are we doing here?
- 798. You can keep that.
It's a piece of chicken bone.
- 799. Chicken bone?
- 800. Fake as everything else with you.
- 801. Fuck.
- 802. 'Oystein says
he's going to kill him.'
- 803. Says he's going to paralyse him
with his Taser or something.
- 804. Says he's going to torture him to death,
- 805. film the whole thing,
make a fucking snuff movie out of it.
- 806. So how did it go?
- 807. Ah, stay out of it.
- 808. Why do you care about him so much?
- 809. I don't.
- 810. Yeah, you do.
- 811. I don't understand the strange
competition you have with this guy.
- 812. I mean, he acts like he's the real deal,
but we all know he's a fucking fake.
- 813. Yeah, that's what he says about me.
- 814. Seriously, Oystein, stay the fuck away
from him and sort your shit out.
- 815. Look, you have this dream,
- 816. You were in control.
You were a leader.
- 817. You could still be all of those things
if you wanted to.
- 818. Or are you just full of shit?
- 819. I just...
- 820. I mean, things have been really, um...
- 821. I have to, um...
- 822. "'Varg, attaching a contract
for you to sign.
- 823. "'This contract will transfer
all the rights to the music
- 824. "'and recordings of Burzum
from Deathlike Silence to you.
- 825. "'I promise I will pay back
everything I owe you.
- 826. "'Sign the contract and return it
in the prepaid envelope I enclosed,
- 827. "'and all our issues will be solved.
- 828. "'Good luck with your music
and whatever you undertake."'
- 829. Where are you going?
- 830. "'I hope the two of
us can remain friends.
- 831. "'Best regards, Oystein."'
- 832. 'Me and Varg were over.
- 833. 'And I wanted nothing to do
with him anymore. I felt relieved...
- 834. 'I hope he felt the same.'
- 835. Time to leave now, you fucking whore.
- 836. So, Faust said Oystein was going
- 837. to attack me with his Taser gun
and drag me into the forest?
- 838. Yeah. And then kill you and make
a snuff movie of the whole thing.
- 839. But I don't think he means it.
- 840. Of course not.
- 841. Ah...
- 842. Ah...
- 843. "'Good luck with your music
and whatever you undertake.
- 844. "'I hope the two of us
can remain friends.
- 845. "'Best regards."'
- 846. "Friends."
- 847. Come on.
Hey! Get up!
- 848. - What's going on?
- We're leaving.
- 849. - What? Where?
- Let's go! Now!
- 850. - Hi.
- 851. Are you sure you want to do this?
- 852. Have you seen this?
- 853. - Yeah, I've seen it.
- 854. We're gonna say we watched this
tonight at my place.
- 855. - To who?
- Don't ask questions, just drive.
- 856. Okay.
- 857. - You trust me?
- 858. - Do it.
- All right.
- 859. Hold on, hold on.
- 860. Okay. Sorry.
- 861. Okay.
- 862. Oh...
- 863. Stop. Stop moving.
- 864. Hey!
- 865. - What the hell are you doing?
- Getting gas.
- 866. All right. Do it quickly.
We got to keep going.
- 867. - I don't have any cash.
- Fucking goddamn it!
- 868. Fuck... Well, me neither,
and we can't use my credit card.
- 869. We've just got enough gas
to go back home. Let's go back.
- 870. Here, take it. I'll report it stolen.
- 871. - Now!
- 872. Oh! Fucking idiot! Fucking idiot!
- 873. You want to hang out tomorrow?
- 874. Maybe.
- 875. - We'll see.
- 876. We'll see.
- 877. - Okay.
- All right.
- 878. I'm gonna leave now.
I'll see you later. Bye.
- 879. - Let's go.
- 880. - Let's go!
- 881. - Hello?
- 'Open up!'
- 882. - Who's this?
- 'It's me, Varg.'
- 883. - What the hell are you doing here?
- I brought the contract you sent.
- 884. Why?
- 885. 'You wanted me to sign it.
And I did, so here I am.'
- 886. 'Could've just fucking mailed it.'
- 887. Yes, I could have, but I wanted this
done right away, so I came over.
- 888. - All the way from Bergen?
- 889. - In the middle of the night?
- 890. I'm here now, so why don't you
just open the fucking door?
- 891. Hey.
- 892. Nice hairdo.
- 893. You gonna let me in?
- 894. Yeah, come on.
- 895. - You signed the contract?
- 896. All we need now
is for you to sign it.
- 897. Right.
- 898. And then you and me are history.
- 899. Yep.
- 900. It's a small world, though.
- 901. What do you mean?
- 902. We're gonna bump into each other.
- 903. What are you trying to say?
- 904. Take it easy, man.
- 905. - We're cool, okay?
- 906. Like you said in your letter, friends.
- 907. Where are you going?
- 908. To get a pen to sign the contract.
- 909. You're going to get your fucking Taser!
- 910. - My what?
- Stop treating me like an idiot.
- 911. - I know what you're up to.
- No, what the hell are you talking about?
- 912. You pretend to be my friend
so you can hit me off guard?
- 913. I'm not going to let that happen,
- 914. Whoa...
Okay, what the fuck are you doing?
- 915. Why...? Why did...?
Hold on, hold on, hold on.
- 916. Oh, fuck!
- 917. Erm...
- 918. Okay, okay, okay, okay.
Okay, okay. Just wait. Just wait.
- 919. Stop talking, you piece of shit.
- 920. Just leave, okay? It's okay.
- 921. It's okay.
We just forget about all this.
- 922. - No, we can't.
- Yes. Yes, we can.
- 923. We can make a...
We can make a thing out of this.
- 924. Oh, what thing?
- 925. Just think about it for a second, okay?
- 926. We could spread a rumour
that you almost killed me.
- 927. This could make us look
really fucking evil.
- 928. Yeah. As always, you don't get it.
- 929. No, I'm serious. I'm serious.
- 930. This is genius. This is really smart.
- 931. It's fucking genius.
- 932. - I said shut the fuck up!
- 933. Okay. Um, I don't...
- 934. Okay. All right...
- 935. What are you looking for,
a knife so you can kill me
- 936. and make a snuff film
out of the whole thing?
- 937. Stop running away, you little pussy!
- 938. What's your big plan now, genius?
- 939. Come on.
- 940. There you go!
- 941. Your stupid contract is signed,
sealed and delivered.
- 942. You happy now?
- 943. Come on!
- 944. Help! He's trying to kill me.
- 945. "Help! Help!
He's trying to kill me, help!"
- 946. Open the fucking door.
- 947. Help! He's killing me.
- 948. Oh, stop. Stop it!
- 949. Yeah...
- 950. Oh... Where...?
- 951. Why did you do this?
- 952. You said you were going to kill me.
- 953. I wasn't gonna do that. I...
You know me.
- 954. You're my friend.
- 955. I just talk.
- 956. You know, I just talk.
- 957. Exactly.
You're an embarrassment.
- 958. That's all you do is talk!
- 959. - Wait...
- That's why you're gonna die.
- 960. No, no, no. No, no, no.
- 961. 'There you have it, my story.
- 962. 'I told you it was going to end badly.
- 963. 'Say cheese.'
- 964. '... was found stabbed to death.
- 965. 'The 25-year-old Oystein Aarseth,
also known as Euronymous,
- 966. 'was a musician in a Norwegian
Black Metal band Mayhem...'
- 967. 'The police have described
the murder as ruthless...'
- 968. '... the Satanic group
the Black Circle...'
- 969. Will you get the door, honey?
- 970. Who is it?
- 971. - What's going on?
- Let's go.
- 972. 'It's gonna be great. Gonna be so wild.'
- 973. We were watching...
"Die Hard 2".
- 974. Oh, yeah? What's it about?
- 975. It's about someone dying hard twice.
- 976. I'm not sure.
- 977. 'The murder investigation of
the young Norwegian Oystein Aarseth
- 978. 'took a new turn today when one
of Oystein's closest friends...'
- 979. 'Varg Vikernes,
- 980. 'better known as The Count,
was arrested this morning
- 981. 'and is now the main suspect
in the brutal murder.'
- 982. 'No, fuck!
Stop this sentimental shit. Stop!
- 983. 'There's nothing sad
about my death or my life.
- 984. 'I'm Euronymous,
founder of Mayhem,
- 985. 'the most infamous
Black Metal band in the world.
- 986. 'I had my own record store.
I had my own record label.
- 987. 'I created a whole new musical genre,
true Norwegian Black Metal.
- 988. 'And I created Mayhem.
- 989. 'What the fuck have you done lately?
- 990. 'Poser.'