- 1. I have to close the deal now.
- 2. Over and above 5,700,000,
you get 25% of the gross
- 3. until you recoup what you're owed.
- 4. No way! Then the film is amortised
including an overhead of seven per cent,
- 5. plus the 300,000
for the line producer.
- 6. Yeah, he's paid, too.
- 7. What is it?
Can't you see I'm busy?
- 8. Yeah. It's an art film, yeah.
- 9. It's cultural, along the lines of...
- 10. You'll have all the guarantees you need.
- 11. No, there's no need to worry.
- 12. He's a good director.
You've heard of him.
- 13. I don't know.
I don't know who said so.
- 14. I'm not authorised
to negotiate the rent.
- 15. Don't worry.
There's no problem.
- 16. No problem.
They'll call you, stop by...
- 17. I'll ask a few questions.
Let's try to keep this short.
- 18. So, first name and last name.
- 19. - Height?
- Six feet.
- 20. - What have you done recently?
- I was in a show.
- 21. Theatre?
- 22. - I have the three guns.
- First door on the right.
- 23. OK, you were in a play?
- 24. - Is René in?
- No, he's out.
- 25. - Where's Maité?
- Scouting the sewers.
- 26. - Good morning.
- There. Hold on two seconds.
- 27. Maité said to bring her here
from the airport.
- 28. Have her wait in Maité's office.
- 29. Here. Goodbye.
- 30. She just got off a 12-hour flight!
- 31. I don't know. It's up to you.
- 32. - Why are you here?
- Maité said...
- 33. - Said what?
- To bring her here.
- 34. Maité's out for the day!
- 35. - René has to see her.
- He's out, too.
- 36. - Maybe he's coming.
- He said he wasn't.
- 37. You're all so fucking incompetent!
- 38. I'm up to my arse in work.
Get your shit together.
- 39. Can't you get organised?
- 40. Niama Films, good morning.
- 41. Oh, you're the guy
from the warehouse.
- 42. I know something was decided,
but I can't say what.
- 43. I'm not authorised to...
- 44. Listen, Frederick.
Call the first assistant.
- 45. - Are you with Maité?
- 46. - Is that her?
- Yeah, that's Maggie.
- 47. Where's René?
- 48. No one's here for her.
It looks bad.
- 49. - What's that?
- She said she was fighting frogmen.
- 50. - You're not at René's yet?
- At René's?
- 51. - He's been waiting for an hour.
- No one told me.
- 52. I left a message on your beeper.
You didn't pick it up?
- 53. - What about our talk?
- I haven't forgotten you.
- 54. Kevin, drop her stuff at the hotel.
- 55. - I'll be right back, OK?
- 56. Is it good?
- 57. Well...
- 58. It bunches up here.
- 59. - Yeah.
- It's the right size though.
- 60. So what do we do?
- 61. We can take in the sleeves
- 62. There's not much else to do.
- 63. It's crazy. We've already cut it
and it still bunches up.
- 64. We'll do it again.
- 65. - Don't get upset.
- I'm not upset.
- 66. I need the line to be sleek.
- 67. When she walks,
it keeps bunching up.
- 68. Uh, it's not shiny enough.
- 69. There's a spray for that.
- 70. It has to be incredibly feminine.
That's the thing.
- 71. - Ah!
- 72. Can I see the masks and hoods again?
- 73. I want latex from head to toe.
- 74. This is a double-layered mask.
- 75. There are two zippers.
When you unzip the one in front...
- 76. you can see the face
- 77. with holes for the mouth and eyes.
- 78. - Yes, but I...
- Not bad, huh?
- 79. There was a simpler one.
- 80. The one I showed you last time.
- 81. This one.
- 82. With the zipper,
the mouth, the eyes...
- 83. What if it doesn't work?
- 84. Does it hug the face tight?
- 85. You can tuck it into the collar
of the catsuit.
- 86. - You want to try?
- Why not? Will you hold this?
- 87. Freaky.
- 88. How does it feel?
- 89. Not bad.
- 90. Not bad.
- 91. Excuse me. Can I borrow your salt?
- 92. - It works real well.
- Oh, yeah, yeah.
- 93. - Do you have a second?
- 94. Come on! We're waiting!
- 95. I can take my time like everyone else!
- 96. - Not now! Let's go!
- Fuck off!
- 97. We're coming down the corridor.
- 98. I read you loud and clear.
- 99. Why did you tell her that?
- 100. She's under hypnosis in the scene.
- 101. I thought it was important.
- 102. It's best to insist.
- 103. I'm not sure
she understands everything I say.
- 104. Do you think she does?
- 105. Can't you smoke outside?
This is the third time! Are you deaf?
- 106. Go smoke outside!
- 107. You find it funny? No, no.
- 108. You find this funny? Twenty-five takes
and you're still laughing?
- 109. It doesn't work.
Help me, Zoé.
- 110. Can't you put on a hood by yourself?
- 111. What's wrong with the bonnet?
- 112. We tried tons of times.
- 113. The thing is,
you have to stretch it out first.
- 114. Yeah, give it a try.
- 115. If you stretch it and pull it down fast,
then it works.
- 116. It worked before.
- 117. - But it's backwards.
- Not at all. I did it once and I got it right!
- 118. Everyone, into position!
- 119. Ever think about changing jobs?
- 120. - That take was no good for me.
- It was no good for anyone.
- 121. Come here.
- 122. The candelabra...
- 123. down here...
- 124. it wasn't too great.
- 125. Make the sign up here. Ah?
- 126. And put on the hood like I did... simply.
- 127. He's laughing.
It's no laughing matter.
- 128. Is it OK now?
- 129. Yeah, I'm done.
- 130. Concentrate.
Get back in the box.
- 131. And let's forget
this wax museum stuff.
- 132. How's it going?
Are we on schedule?
- 133. - We're way behind.
- 134. - Will we wrap on time?
- I have no idea.
- 135. - Where's the stuntwoman?
- She's in wardrobe.
- 136. - What? Go get her!
- 137. - You promised me extra help.
- I know.
- 138. - I did all the packing up!
- We'll talk later!
- 139. Not now! It's too late!
- 140. Stop barking orders at me!
- 141. We have to work
in an orderly way!
- 142. - You're just a tidiness freak!
- I certainly am!
- 143. You keep things so tidy
that your films suck!
- 144. - It's the truth!
- You're part of the team.
- 145. - Not for much longer!
- Then pack your bags!
- 146. Why should I be bossed around
by watchdogs like you?
- 147. Me, a watchdog?
- 148. You can breathe down
someone else's neck!
- 149. Don't say things now
that you'll regret later.
- 150. I just want to do my job
and fix up Laura's costume.
- 151. - You had time to do it before!
- Hands off, hands off.
- 152. It'll be fine.
- 153. Let her fix up Laura's costume.
- 154. - I'll murder that bitch.
- Keep it under control.
- 155. Listen to me!
- 156. She's always the same!
- 157. Say something. We worked.
We're entitled to your opinion.
- 158. I couldn't even hear you breathe!
- 159. - Enough's enough!
- Fuck you!
- 160. You want my opinion?
It sucks. It's shit.
- 161. It sucks!
- 162. FUCK you!
- 163. That was a barrel of laughs!
- 164. He's worse than ever.
- 165. - What's the problem?
- Hurry up!
- 166. The film's at 10:00.
- 167. Everyone left.
Can I have a lift?
- 168. Hurry, get in.
- 169. There!
- 170. Finally!
- 171. I know, we're late.
After the rushes, René had a shit fit.
- 172. - I brought Maggie, OK?
- No problem.
- 173. She's the Chinese actress.
She speaks no French.
- 174. What about Markus?
- 175. Hello. Hello.
- 176. - He's not here yet?
- 177. He'll be late.
He got in a fight with René. No.
- 178. - I bet they're still screaming away.
- 179. Roland and Maurice are here.
- 180. I'll have a whisky.
- 181. Hi there.
You're watching this?
- 182. Meet Maggie, the Chinese actress.
She speaks no French.
- 183. It's great stuff.
Don't repudiate it now.
- 184. CINEMA IS NOT MAGIC.
IT'S A TECHNIQUE AND A SCIENCE.
- 185. AND AT THE SERVICE OF A WILL.
- 186. TO FREE THEMSELVES.
- 187. Tell me what happened.
Don't brood all night!
- 188. There's nothing to tell.
- 189. It was. ... pretty heavy.
- 190. He was shooting daggers the whole time.
- 191. I tried turning on the radio,
and I thought he'd slaughter me.
- 192. He said I didn't understand him,
that I was a mere technician.
- 193. Yeah, that's what he said.
- 194. You can imagine
how well Markus took it.
- 195. I was totally livid.
- 196. I've been working with him
for 15 years now.
- 197. Can it be that lousy?
He definitely has an eye.
- 198. - No, it's fine.
- I think so, too.
- 199. He got what he wanted.
It's his film.
- 200. He's pissed because it's pretty.
- 201. He'll muck it up in the editing room.
- 202. - It's not as good as Feuillade.
- Enough of Feuillade!
- 203. Feuillade's a drag.
Unless I just don't get it.
- 204. Have you seen Les Vampires?
- 205. I saw two episodes on video.
Thank God I could fast-forward!
- 206. It's pretty flimsy stuff.
- 207. It's like serialised novels.
There's a poetry to it.
- 208. Well, serialised novels
were never my thing.
- 209. Whatever.
- 210. It's been done. Why do it again?
You know what I mean?
- 211. I told him it wasn't a good idea.
It's a trap.
- 212. - He knew that.
- No, he's just starting to realise it. I swear.
- 213. That's why he's so down.
- 214. Obviously. He feels trapped.
- 215. Let's change the subject
and have a drink.
- 216. He takes out his problems
on everyone else.
- 217. - He's always been a hypocrite.
- That's why I told him off.
- 218. He didn't like it,
but he needed to hear it.
- 219. Directors thrive on hypocrisy.
- 220. Yeah, but sometimes
they go overboard.
- 221. I went too far railing on Feuillade.
- 222. Too late now.
- 223. - So what's the Chinese girl like?
- Not bad.
- 224. I don't think she knows why she's here
or what Rene expects of her.
- 225. She shuts up and does her job.
- 226. - Does she talk about it?
- Not much.
- 227. She keeps to herself.
- 228. - Is she bored?
- I don't know.
- 229. During her costume fitting,
she seemed to get into it.
- 230. Her costume is... pretty tight.
- 231. It's like she was poured into it.
- 232. Yeah.
- 233. We were in a sex shop
for God knows how long.
- 234. It's the usual,
but no zippers at the breasts.
- 235. - There are even zippers here.
- 236. But she's pretty,
so she wears it well.
- 237. She's pretty all right.
- 238. Is she into girls?
- 239. I don't know.
I tried hitting on her.
- 240. - And?
- I didn't insist. I don't want to fuck up.
- 241. But I like her a lot.
- 242. Go for it. What's there to lose?
She seems game.
- 243. René will make my life hell.
- 244. - He's interested in her, too?
- 245. If he finds out, he'll get jealous.
He'll torment us.
- 246. You don't have to tell him.
- 247. Take her home tonight and tomorrow
on the set... mum's the word.
- 248. - I don't know if she'd want to.
- You said that...
- 249. No, Mireille.
I was talking about the costume.
- 250. - The costume?
- The costume. The tight fit, the latex.
- 251. It seemed to turn her on.
- 252. It seemed to or it did?
- 253. It did.
- 254. In fact, she asked
if she could buy it after the shoot.
- 255. - She asked you that?
- Yes, yes.
- 256. - When?
- Here. Just before dinner.
- 257. And you like her
dressed as Catwoman?
- 258. Yeah, she's great-looking.
- 259. In fact,
- 260. you want to touch her,
play with her.
- 261. She's like a plastic toy!
- 262. Watch out.
- 263. - If she asked for the costume...
- 264. - Am I that funny?
- No, go on!
- 265. - Then you should go for it.
- You think so?
- 266. Why else would she have come?
- 267. They left her stranded at the lab.
- 268. I was the only person left.
- 269. She could have gone back
to her hotel.
- 270. She's all alone in Paris.
She has no one.
- 271. If she has no one,
make the most of it.
- 272. - I think she likes me.
- And wanting the costume...
- 273. is a way of telling you
she wants you.
- 274. Stop! You're wrong about the costume!
It was cut to her size.
- 275. - That's all it means.
- Analyse the situation.
- 276. She follows you. She's in there,
surrounded by strangers.
- 277. She can't speak a word. Uh...
- 278. She's totally dependent on you.
- 279. She wants to be here. It's 1:00am.
She's shooting tomorrow.
- 280. If she wasn't "into it,"
she'd be in bed already.
- 281. Stop. Stop.
- 282. - What's more...
- 283. she takes you aside
to ask to buy her costume.
- 284. - Stop!
- It's obvious. It means, "I'm into it."
- 285. - No.
- "I'm into wearing my costume."
- 286. Stop it! You're crazy!
- 287. She's cold.
- 288. Maurice, pour me a glass.
- 289. I don't know which glass is mine.
- 290. Thank you.
- 291. - Your wife's a pain in the arse.
- What did she do?
- 292. I told her Maggie turned me on.
- 293. - Now she's throwing her into my bed!
- 294. - Just to screw things up.
- Changed your mind?
- 295. I don't know.
I drank too much.
- 296. She's screwing things up!
Look how she's smooth-talking her!
- 297. You'll keep quiet next time.
Live and learn.
- 298. Thanks, but who has to work with her
for a certain lapse of time?
- 299. I do.
- 300. - Louder, Jessica.
- 301. He'll tell René.
It'll all turn against me.
- 302. You're acting like kids.
- 303. Turn it down, Jessica.
- 304. - Good evening.
- Good evening, madam.
- 305. - Uh, Room 612, please.
- 306. - 612.
- Thank you.
- 307. - You have several messages.
- Thank you.
- 308. Here. Goodnight.
- 309. - Are you OK?
- 310. Can't we drive you to the hotel?
- 311. No, thanks. I have my car.
- 312. You sure you have a room?
- 313. I reserved it.
There's no problem.
- 314. I'll call you tomorrow.
- 315. Here's the story:
the doctor's examining him.
- 316. The tranquilisers seem to be working.
- 317. On the surface, he's calm enough.
- 318. But all the same...
- 319. If he stays here,
I'm going to need a discharge.
- 320. What's a discharge?
- 321. I need two people to vouch for him.
- 322. Or else I'll take him in.
- 323. He was rude. Wasn't he rude?
- 324. - Was he or wasn't he?
- 325. I understand very well.
But he's a very fragile person.
- 326. OK, forget it.
- 327. There.
- 328. The doctor said to take two now
and one tomorrow.
- 329. Obviously.
- 330. Oh. René. Are you OK?
- 331. We should let him get some rest.
- 332. - Yes.
- Let him rest up.
- 333. Half an hour to get a skeleton key!
- 334. Who knows what
may have happened to her?
- 335. - Excuse me.
- 336. - I can open it.
- She's always on time.
- 337. I know you can open it.
That's why we're here.
- 338. - Turn on the light, please.
- 339. Everything's OK, so I'll go.
- 340. OK, cut.
- 341. Very good. Are you OK?
- 342. - We'll do it once more.
- 343. I felt you were forcing it.
- 344. It should come across as effortless.
- 345. OK. I was too much of a pro.
- 346. I'll try to be more instinctive.
- 347. - You have to be even more supple.
- 348. A little more... what's the word?
Feline. More feline.
- 349. - What are we doing?
- We'll do it one last time.
- 350. - OK?
- 351. Positions, please!
- 352. You were supposed
to be here at 8:30.
- 353. - She overslept.
- Why didn't you call her?
- 354. I did call. She didn't answer.
I let it ring and ring!
- 355. I bet you did!
- 356. What do you know? Anyway,
she won't start shooting until 11:00.
- 357. That's not your problem!
- 358. Don't bother picking her up anymore.
- 359. Where's René?
- 360. How should I know?
Maybe this is him calling!
- 361. Here she is.
- 362. Are you ready?
- 363. - Let me take a look.
- Come see.
- 364. Yeah.
- 365. Move in closer.
- 366. I'll sit here. OK.
- 367. Let me open this.
- 368. - There. How's that?
- 369. - Ready?
- You can announce it.
- 370. Maggie Cheung. Take 1.
- 371. René is a pain in the arse!
- 372. - Has he really disappeared?
- I don't know.
- 373. Zoé says Maité can't find him.
- 374. He's not at home.
His wife doesn't know where he is.
- 375. We're screwed!
- 376. Wait. It's happened before.
- 377. Yeah, sometimes he's late,
but he never just vanishes.
- 378. He better get back soon.
Today's my last day.
- 379. Tomorrow we take Polyeucte
- 380. Did Polyeucte do well?
- 381. Yeah. It's a three-month tour.
- 382. Laure, follow me.
I can fix your costume now.
- 383. Don't iron now.
Get me the costumes from the truck.
- 384. - Where's René?
- No one knows. Maybe Maité.
- 385. But if she does,
she won't tell me.
- 386. What do we do? Just wait?
- 387. We'll try shooting without him.
If that doesn't work,
- 388. if he doesn't pop up,
we call it a day.
- 389. Shit, it's all wrinkled again.
What a pain.
- 390. Fuck! It's ripped.
- 391. It's incredibly fragile.
What did you do?
- 392. I don't know. I didn't notice.
- 393. Jesus Christ.
What do I do now?
- 394. - You really slept with Maggie?
- Says who?
- 395. Maité.
- 396. She's telling everyone
you took her home, not to the hotel...
- 397. and scored her.
- 398. Those were her words.
- 399. I don't fucking believe it!
- 400. What a bitch! That's total bullshit!
I never even touched her!
- 401. Don't tell her I told you.
- 402. Fuck that bitch.
- 403. Do you know José Murano?
- 404. Hold on. Don't move.
- 405. I did a film with him.
This material really sucks.
- 406. - Is he a good director?
- Yeah, not bad.
- 407. This isn't working.
Let me try something else.
- 408. Get undressed.
I'll stick gaffer tape inside.
- 409. He left me three messages this morning.
He must have a role for me.
- 410. Call him back for sure.
- 411. Take it! Take it!
- 412. And with this weapon,
- 413. kill the Great Vampire.
- 414. Am I disturbing you?
- 415. Actually, we're rehearsing.
- 416. Forget it. It's a wrap.
- 417. - How do you know?
- I know.
- 418. And what about my scene?
- 419. Thanks.
- 420. Thanks.
- 421. Thanks.
- 422. I don't get it. What is this?
- 423. There's no call for tomorrow.
- 424. - Are you José Murano?
- 425. - I'm sorry. I'm late.
- No problem.
- 426. - What will you have?
- 427. - What are you having?
- A beer.
- 428. Oh, yes?
Me too. A beer.
- 429. - A beer for her and another for me.
- 430. Good.
- 431. - We've never really met.
- 432. I'm happy to get to know you better.
- 433. We've never really...
- 434. spoken together.
- 435. I've seen all your films.
- 436. Excuse me for insisting so much.
- 437. It's something of an emergency.
- 438. - Do you know why?
- 439. - Oh, damn.
- No, not really.
- 440. Then I'll tell you.
René can't finish the film.
- 441. Ah.
- 442. Is that definite?
- 443. The truth is, he's had
a sort of nervous breakdown.
- 444. He's in a rest home.
- 445. No need to panic.
It's in the country.
- 446. There's a big garden.
- 447. He agreed to it.
His doctor decided.
- 448. What a disaster.
- 449. - We'll stop shooting.
- 450. I was asked to take over.
- 451. You?
- 452. It's touchy.
- 453. Can I really accept?
René is a friend.
- 454. You have a bit of foam...
- 455. Don't let it get around.
- 456. I don't understand something.
- 457. Why a Chinese girl? Do you know?
- 458. Uh...
- 459. - René said that...
- 460. Whenever Rene opens his mouth,
people stop thinking.
- 461. You saw the state he's in.
- 462. Who am I to say?
He must have had a reason.
- 463. I'm serious! Why a Chinese girl?
- 464. He said he'd seen Maggie in a film...
- 465. and it seemed self-evident.
- 466. But why?
- 467. Come on. I saw Les Vampires
30 years ago at the Cinémathéque.
- 468. Irma Vep is Paris.
She's the Paris underworld.
- 469. She's working-class Paris.
- 470. Irma Vep is street thugs and slums!
- 471. Les Vampires
isn't Fu Manchu, right?
- 472. It's not Fu Manchu.
- 473. I don't know.
- 474. I don't know anymore.
- 475. Can I have a light?
- 476. I've seen Maggie in the rushes.
She has a nice body. She's graceful.
- 477. That's totally besides the point!
- 478. I'm sure she's great.
- 479. I saw her in that Jack Chan film.
What was the title?
- 480. What a piece of crap!
- 481. She was fine.
But she's not Irma Vep!
- 482. No. I understand.
- 483. I see what you mean.
- 484. Anyway...
- 485. I told them I'm not working now.
Things are slow.
- 486. My welfare's running out.
- 487. I said... I need to think. A little.
- 488. They said to think fast.
- 489. I said OK.
- 490. But only if I could change actresses.
- 491. That Chinese girl,
she's really not for me.
- 492. You'd be much better.
- 493. Me?
- 494. Yes, you.
- 495. Are you offering me the role?
- 496. Uh, yeah.
- 497. Oh. But...
- 498. - What about Maggie?
- Maggie, Maggie...
- 499. She'll understand.
She'll go back to Hong Kong.
- 500. For me, this is really...
- 501. really difficult.
- 502. HOW is it difficult? Why?
- 503. I wouldn't want people saying...
- 504. - Saying what?
- That I plotted to steal her role.
- 505. It would be great
to play Irma Vep, but...
- 506. people talk and rumours spread fast.
- 507. THE "HOOTING OWL" CABARET
- 508. JOINTS IN PARIS.
- 509. Here's fine. Stop here.
- 510. Hi!
- 511. So we head towards Le Bourget.
- 512. We have to go to...
- 513. No. Towards the industrial park,
but we turn off before.
- 514. It's not far from Carpet Emporium...
- 515. and the Decathlon warehouses.
- 516. At the corner of Bricomarché,
- 517. where there used to be
a Family Furniture Outlet.
- 518. - You see?
- Not at all. I don't know it.
- 519. I'll tell you as we go along.
- 520. - Go towards Le Bourget.
- 521. - Could you wait five minutes?
- 522. After the screening,
we'll go to the production office.
- 523. OK. Will this take long?
- 524. No, it's what René edited.
- 525. - He did it himself?
- 526. When did he edit?
- 527. At night.
He always works that way.
- 528. I see.
- 529. Philippe-
- 530. Hi, José.
- 531. Yes. I faxed you the insurance claim.
Did you get it?
- 532. What? No, not over the phone.
- 533. I'll come and see you. Thanks.
- 534. - Where's Maggie?
- I have no idea.
- 535. - She said she'd come.
- Then she should be here.
- 536. - Kevin.
- 537. Where's Maggie?
- 538. She wasn't at the hotel.
She left no messages.
- 539. I got her a ticket for 6:00 tonight.
- 540. To be at the airport by 4:30,
she should leave her hotel at...
- 541. - Who's driving her?
- I don't know. You!
- 542. - Are you crazy? I can't!
- I sure as hell can't! No way!
- 543. I'm meeting with the insurers.
- 544. It's incredibly urgent!
- 545. Go ahead.
- 546. Her ticket is for Hong Kong?
- 547. - I even got her upgraded into first class.
- 548. She's not going to Hong Kong.
She's going to New York.
- 549. No, Los Angeles.
She's meeting Ridley Scott.
- 550. You got it all wrong. Totally.
- 551. After seeing Ridley Scott
in New York,
- 552. she's meeting her agent
in Los Angeles.
- 553. It was so obvious.
- 554. Since when?
- 555. She told me yesterday.
She spoke to Ridley Scott yesterday.
- 556. Jérome. Jérome.
- 557. The screening's about to start.
- 558. Come on.
- 559. We're starting now.
- 560. You'll have to find someone
to replace Laure.
- 561. To replace Laure?
Oh, yeah. Shit.
- 562. Are you free after the projection?
- 563. - Of course.
- I need to see you.
- 564. OK.