- 1. I want to be a light,
but it feels so dark.
- 2. It's like...
- 3. I have a heavy heart
and this burden on my back.
- 4. There's something in me
that makes me want to cry...
- 5. and I don't even know what it is.
- 6. America and the world mourns,
- 7. as the biggest school shooting
in U.S. history
- 8. took place today at Columbine High School.
- 9. According to reports,
- 10. two gunmen came in shooting, and began
working their way through the school.
- 11. What police and everyone else
are looking for now is a reason
- 12. for the violence
that tore this quiet school
- 13. and suburban neighborhood apart
just weeks before graduation.
- 14. Rach, it's okay.
- 15. Just try and get some sleep.
- 16. Are they getting a divorce?
- 17. Mom? Can you pay for my car insurance?
- 18. - You said you would.
- 19. Yeah, I don't know yet.
- 20. It's really expensive, Bethanie.
- 21. Unbelievable. This is so lame.
- 22. Oh, you know what? I picked up
some extra houses to clean,
- 23. so I'm gonna need your help
with the kids tomorrow.
- 24. I'm not their mother.
- 25. Okay, guys, now that your dad
doesn't live here anymore,
- 26. we're not going to have
as much as we used to.
- 27. So each morning, we're going
to pray for what we need. Okay?
- 28. Okay.
- 29. Dear Jesus, thank you
for these precious children.
- 30. You tell us to come to you
for the things that we need.
- 31. So, Lord, I pray for gas money
to get to work.
- 32. I pray for cute clothes for school.
- 33. And car insurance for Bethanie.
- 34. And lots of stuffed animals.
- 35. Amen.
- 36. Congratulations!
- 37. - I saw you got the lead!
- Thank you! I did!
- 38. Congrats!
- 39. Thanks, man, I appreciate it.
I'm excited, honestly.
- 40. - It only took me three years, so...
- 41. This just proves that no one notices me.
- 42. Everybody treats me like I'm 14.
- 43. So you didn't get the lead
in the school play.
- 44. Who cares? You're just a sophomore.
- 45. Uh, Alex was a sophomore when
he got his first lead role.
- 46. - It's true.
- I know. He doesn't even know my name.
- 47. And Mrs. Diaz said she's gonna
let him write the play next year.
- 48. Well... I know Alex a little.
- 49. I mean, he was the only boy in
my dance class when we were kids.
- 50. He's pretty hot. Mm-hmm.
- 51. - For a drama guy.
- Not exactly my type.
- 52. We both love acting.
- 53. He would be perfect for me.
- 54. I could see that.
- 55. I just want a real boyfriend.
- 56. You know, guys never think of me that way.
- 57. Well, let's change that.
- 58. I'll get him to notice you.
- 59. But first, you have
to stop wearing these hats
- 60. that you've been wearing
since the fourth grade.
- 61. - Look at me.
- Thank you.
- 62. He probably wouldn't like me anyway, so...
- 63. Don't say that.
- 64. Now, just let me work my magic,
- 65. and I'll see if I can arrange
for something this weekend.
- 66. You're the best, Maddy.
- 67. - Don't call me that.
- 68. Stop it! I hate it! God!
- 69. Now, I'm gonna do the best that I can do,
- 70. but I need you to make sure that he
doesn't just see you as a friend,
- 71. - if you know what I mean.
- Got it.
- 72. Totally.
- 73. - Don't ever do that in front of him.
- I was kidding.
- 74. - Ever.
- That was bad.
- 75. Come on, the guys are already there.
- 76. Unless your mom has a crystal ball,
no one's gonna find out.
- 77. Yoo-hoo. Yoo-hoo.
- 78. - We've got liquid courage.
- 79. Come on.
- 80. Rachel.
- 81. I can hear them from my room.
- 82. You know Mom's gonna bust you.
- 83. Well, don't say anything.
- 84. I'm not gonna lie for you again.
- 85. Come on, Dana.
- 86. Don't be such a goody-goody.
- 87. This night could be huge for me.
- 88. Fine.
- 89. Thanks. I owe you one. Seriously.
- 90. - Rachel!
- It's gonna be kind of weird
- 91. hanging out with drama guys.
- 92. Ca-caw! Ca-caw!
- 93. Well, that's what he asked me to do.
- 94. I think it's kind of cool.
- 95. Thank you.
- 96. Welcome, ladies.
- 97. The pool is open exclusively
- 98. - for our personal guests.
- Don't get too nutty,
- 99. 'cause we're not technically
supposed to be here.
- 100. Well, this is Celine,
and this is Gabby, and Rachel.
- 101. Alex, you two
should get to know each other.
- 102. Have we met before?
- 103. I think she tried out for the play.
- 104. - Villager number four.
- That's it, yeah.
- 105. Well, come on in. The water's warm, and...
- 106. - we have drinks.
- So do we.
- 107. I think I'm gonna go check on Gabby
before she pukes in the pool.
- 108. - We'll miss you.
- But, hey, you should show Rachel
- 109. your ballet moves from the fourth grade.
- 110. You know, that's tempting.
- 111. I just might.
- 112. I'm not like my friends.
- 113. What do you mean?
- 114. I can't really be fake.
- 115. And they are?
- 116. No.
- 117. No, I didn't mean it like that.
- 118. We've been best friends
since elementary school.
- 119. It's just...
- 120. I mean, look at them.
- 121. All the guys want them.
- 122. But I want the guy I want
to want what I am and...
- 123. not the fake version of what I think
- 124. I want to think that they want
to think that I am.
- 125. Interesting.
- 126. I'm not a social plastic person.
- 127. Just wanted to get that out there.
- 128. That's cool. What is it?
- 129. I don't know, really.
- 130. Sometimes I just draw what I feel.
- 131. You're an artist?
- 132. I'm all right.
- 133. I actually write more than I draw.
- 134. Oh, I act what I write.
- 135. You know, people like us,
we have stories to tell.
- 136. You know, and acting, it...
- 137. really brings those words to life
so people can really feel it, you know?
- 138. Yeah.
- 139. That's why all the world's a stage...
- 140. And all the men and women merely players.
- 141. They have their exits and their entrances.
- 142. You like Shakespeare?
- 143. Yeah. Course.
- 144. I want to write plays, too.
- 145. Well, I can help you out,
you know, show you what I know.
- 146. - My process.
- That'd be cool.
- 147. I can take a look at your
writing, too, if you want.
- 148. I connect through writing.
- 149. Words are the window to the heart.
- 150. Yeah.
- 151. You're, like. Deep.
- 152. Are you spiritual or something?
- 153. No.
- 154. Not... no, not really.
- 155. Really? 'Cause, you know...
- 156. I'm a spiritual guy myself.
- 157. You know, I like to take in the energy
around me for my art.
- 158. Yeah. Guess I'm like that, too.
- 159. Mm.
- 160. Hey, you guys are too dry! Come in!
- 161. No, we're good.
- 162. Come on! Come on!
- 163. Well... if that's what you want.
- 164. You know, I want what you want.
- 165. But just in case you wanted to know,
- 166. I want you to want
to come in the pool. Just...
- 167. wanted to get that out there.
- 168. Girl, come here!
- 169. - Oh!
- 170. Bye.
- 171. Rachel Joy.
- 172. I prayed over pillows tonight.
Where have you been?
- 173. Out with the girls.
- 174. Why is your hair all wet?
- 175. We went swimming.
- 176. What if something had happened?
- 177. I need to know where my children are.
- 178. Sorry, Mom.
- 179. You smell like smoke.
- 180. And... booze.
- 181. Are you buzzing?
- 182. Mom, nobody says that.
- 183. Oh. Okay, well, you're grounded
till you go to your Aunt Bea's.
- 184. What? Mom, that's, like, the whole summer!
- 185. Exactly. This kind of behavior
will not be tolerated
- 186. - under this roof.
- I told you.
- 187. Shut up, Dana.
- 188. Rachel, we're gonna have a long
chat about this in the morning.
- 189. You're better than this, Rachel Joy.
- 190. I can't even control them.
- 191. Larry went from no kids
to five kids overnight.
- 192. He's still getting used to everything.
- 193. I'm so scared that he's gonna regret it.
- 194. - Beth, don't say that.
- I think it'll be good
- 195. for Rachel to get away
from her friends for a bit.
- 196. I'll be. Sometimes I don't know
what I'm gonna do with that girl.
- 197. Being at the farm with her cousins
is gonna be good for her.
- 198. We have been looking all over for you.
- 199. Here I am.
- 200. Rach...
- 201. you're kind of different this summer.
- 202. I just wanted to be alone.
- 203. For four hours?
- 204. Rachel...
- 205. what's really going on?
- 206. I just want to help.
- 207. Well, you can't.
- 208. You would never understand.
Your family's perfect.
- 209. No, we're not.
- 210. I'm sorry.
- 211. It wasn't supposed to be like that.
- 212. Sometimes I don't know who I am.
- 213. It's not like I'm trying
to do the wrong thing.
- 214. I just can't help it.
- 215. I used to try so hard
to get it all together,
- 216. but... none of that worked.
- 217. I had to let God in.
- 218. I've done the whole church thing.
- 219. I know about Jesus.
- 220. I know it sounds crazy,
and it's really hard
- 221. to explain, but... it's about
truly living a life for Jesus.
- 222. And when you do that, you'll
have this sense of peace.
- 223. I don't know.
- 224. That's just what worked for me.
- 225. Rachel, life can be really hard,
but listen to me,
- 226. God does not waste anything,
not even the bad things.
- 227. Lord, I'm sorry for everything
that I've done.
- 228. Jesus, I ask, forgive me,
- 229. and I ask you to come into my life.
- 230. Father, use me to be a light to the world.
- 231. Rach, why do you always draw
the same flower?
- 232. Why, are you mad
I haven't drawn it for you yet?
- 233. I actually am, thank you.
- 234. Rachel, I know you've been thinking about
a lot of things, and sometimes it helps
- 235. to just write down your thoughts,
so I wanted to give you this.
- 236. Thanks, Aunt Bea.
- 237. - You're welcome.
- Love it.
- 238. God, I'm sorry I ever doubted you.
- 239. I'm sorry I didn't trust you.
- 240. You know what you're doing,
and you know what's best for me.
- 241. From now on,
- 242. I put all of my faith
and all of my trust in you.
- 243. Hey, Austin.
- 244. Oh. Uh, hey, Rachel.
- 245. - What a retard.
- 246. Rachel's got a new... ba-ba-ba-boyfriend.
- 247. Not exactly, Sean.
- 248. - Ooh...
- Are you jealous, Dylan?
- 249. No.
- 250. First day of school sucks.
- 251. Hey.
- 252. - At least the guys have a tan.
- 253. Hey, look at these fly girls!
- 254. - Brian Riggs!
- What's up?
- 255. - Hey! How's football going?
- 256. - We're gonna rock this year.
- Well, we'll finally
- 257. have something to cheer for, then.
- 258. Ha-ha-ha.
- 259. Oh, uh, dude, Shep's parents are gone
all semester, so we're gonna have
- 260. mad ragers, like, every weekend.
- 261. You guys got to come.
- 262. - Oh, we'll be there.
- Let us know when.
- 263. Yeah, most def.
- 264. Hey, uh, this is K.J.
- 265. Uh, he just came from California.
- 266. Plays linebacker. K.J.,
this is Gabby and Madison.
- 267. - Hey.
- What's up?
- 268. - Welcome to Columbine.
- Good to meet you.
- 269. Let's bounce.
- 270. See you around.
- 271. See what I mean? Guys don't even see me.
- 272. Hey, we're working on it.
- 273. Have you talked to Alex yet?
- 274. No. But I have drama class
with him sixth period.
- 275. Good. This is the time to strike.
- 276. - You've got to stay on his radar.
- 277. Okay. But I'm not going to be fake.
- 278. Girl, you couldn't be fake if you tried.
- 279. Dude, you sound like a hyena.
- 280. - He looks like a hyena.
- Yeah, seriously, you sound like an idiot.
- 281. Let's go! Come on! Get him!
- 282. Yo! It's time for dork bowling!
- 283. Come on!
- 284. Oh!
- 285. Strike!
- 286. Yes!
- 287. I'll kill you, Riggs.
- 288. - Oh, I'm so scared.
- 289. Don't look at me.
- 290. You got something on your back, yo!
- 291. Dude, every time, every time.
- 292. I hate those guys.
- 293. Just another day at Columbine.
- 294. Why does it always have
to be so cliquey here?
- 295. I thought it was gonna be
different this year.
- 296. One of Hitler's central themes in his writing
is that it was a Nazi's responsibility
- 297. to aid evolution by exterminating
less evolved people groups.
- 298. In his opinion, that was those
who had different-colored skin,
- 299. were religious or were handicapped.
- 300. Hitler thought natural selection
should be actively aided.
- 301. Come on, dude.
- 302. You're never gonna change
what's happening in there.
- 303. That's just the way the world is.
- 304. Well, I want to change the world.
- 305. Okay. Good luck. What's your plan?
- 306. Don't know yet.
- 307. Do you ever feel like
you can't see your future?
- 308. You know, feel like...
- 309. like it might be your last year?
- 310. No.
- 311. Super morbid.
- 312. It's not, though.
- 313. It's more like...
- 314. something big's gonna happen.
- 315. Like a chain reaction.
- 316. Not sure what that means,
but I'm here for you.
- 317. I never made it to class.
- 318. Of course you didn't.
- 319. Alex Dickerson?
- 320. - Really?
- 321. If I work the radar.
- 322. Am I gonna lose you
as my prom date already?
- 323. I thought that was only
if we couldn't find anyone.
- 324. Yeah, well, neither of us have
in three years.
- 325. You'll find someone.
- 326. Welcome to Advanced Drama.
- 327. In this class, you will get
the privilege of creating,
- 328. producing and performing the spring play.
- 329. Mr. Alex Dickerson here
will be our playwright.
- 330. I've got something for you. Hold on.
- 331. You know when you meet someone,
and in, like,
- 332. the first few minutes
they're, like, a soul mate?
- 333. No.
- 334. Alex is like that.
- 335. He gets me.
- 336. It's like he was made for me.
- 337. Miss Scott, is there something
that you'd like to share
- 338. - with all of us?
- No, not really.
- 339. Very nice, Miss Scott.
- 340. But this isn't art class.
- 341. Uh, theater is one of the six classic
art forms, so I'd argue that...
- 342. this is art class.
- 343. Brownnoser.
- 344. Well, I stand corrected, Mr. Dickerson.
- 345. Okay, all of you underclassmen will be
paired with a senior mentor. And...
- 346. these papers I just handed you
are your pairings.
- 347. I know.
- 348. Okay, so, is he still, like, your mentor
- 349. - or whatever you call it?
- 350. Hey, spazzes. One of you
had better won the lottery.
- 351. Alex and Rachel are going to be doing
- 352. - drama geek stuff together.
- Oh, this is so perfect.
- 353. Okay, he told me that he's gonna be at Shep's
party tomorrow, we have to be there.
- 354. Okay.
- 355. - Okay! Party!
- 356. Um, can you go get us
some drinks or something?
- 357. - Who is that?
- I can't remember his name,
- 358. and I feel like it would be
way too awkward to ask now.
- 359. Celine...
- 360. - you have to be careful. Like, what...
- I'm fine.
- 361. - What if he...
- Seriously, I'm fine.
- 362. Okay.
- 363. Now go do whatever it is you do.
- 364. That whole non-fake thing.
- 365. - You can do this.
- 366. Hey, mentor.
- 367. Hey.
- 368. Did you have something to do
with us getting paired up?
- 369. Must have been the theater gods.
- 370. They might have known that I
missed seeing you this summer.
- 371. Yeah, I... got grounded
for most of it, so...
- 372. You know, there's a lot
going on behind those eyes.
- 373. You should try out
for the female lead in my play.
- 374. I'd need a good mentor to help
me prepare for the audition.
- 375. Bummer. You're out of luck there.
- 376. Alex?
- 377. - Hey! How are you?
- Hi. Good. How are you?
- 378. I'm great.
- 379. - I heard you're writing a play?
- 380. I'll see you in class.
- 381. Yeah.
- 382. See you Monday.
- 383. - How are you?
- I'm doing well. How are you?
- 384. - I'm great.
- So, like, what was your inspiration?
- 385. - Hey, Larry.
- Hey, Rachel.
- 386. You know, that old Acura's
getting pretty lonely.
- 387. I don't want to talk right now.
- 388. You sure? You should think
about letting me use it.
- 389. I just got home from work... I don't
want to have to think about anything.
- 390. - Hey, honey.
- Hi, honey.
- 391. Are you tired from...
- 392. filing debit and credit reports?
- 393. And punching the calculator?
- 394. - I am, actually.
- Oh. Exhausted.
- 395. - Mom, when's Dad coming to get us?
- I don't know.
- 396. Uh, he was supposed
to be here an hour ago.
- 397. Son, do you have to play
that thing right here?
- 398. Son?
- 399. I am not your son.
- 400. You know, and there's
a logical reason to this,
- 401. if you let me drive the car, I could
drive myself to work, and Mom
- 402. - wouldn't have to.
- 403. - Right?
- make her stop.
- 404. Rachel, he's not used to all this.
- 405. You're gonna have to give him
some time to decompress.
- 406. Why don't you help me with dinner?
- 407. Queens hate to cook, Mom.
Come on, Larry, please?
- 408. The car needs a new catalytic converter,
and foreign parts are expensive.
- 409. You could even teach me
how to drive my car.
- 410. No, it's my car, and I said no.
- 411. He said no, Rachel.
- 412. For now.
- 413. Come on, Larry.
- 414. I need my chariot.
- 415. - Not gonna happen.
- 416. But I at least need a smile
before I let go.
- 417. Mm-hmm. Come on.
- 418. More than that.
- 419. Get those pearly whites out there.
- 420. My work here is done.
- 421. Thank you.
- 422. Oh.
- 423. Yeah?
- 424. Okay.
- 425. Bye.
- 426. Your dad has to work, so he
can't have you this weekend.
- 427. But he wants you to know
- 428. that he loves you and he misses you...
- 429. He will talk to you soon.
- 430. Thank you.
- 431. If the lady doesn't get
anything, she can't stay.
- 432. I don't want crazy people in here.
- 433. Can you go ask her to leave?
- 434. You want me to?
- 435. I'm busy.
- 436. Hey.
- 437. Hey.
- 438. I'm gonna have to ask you to leave.
- 439. Excuse me.
- 440. Uh, my friend here would like a...
- 441. A coffee.
- 442. A French press.
- 443. And... a bagel.
- 444. With cream cheese.
- 445. Perfect.
- 446. Thank you very much.
- 447. Okay.
- 448. May I?
- 449. - Thank you.
- Oh, you're welcome.
- 450. So, where are you from?
- 451. She paid.
- 452. - That would be wonderful. It's not far.
- Oh, good.
- 453. "Not far" is on my way.
- 454. - I couldn't impose.
- Oh, no, you're not.
- 455. It's not a problem.
- 456. I don't understand why having
a walk with God is so hard for me.
- 457. I'm so weak.
- 458. At school, with friends, at work.
- 459. Today it was like I let a wonderful flame
- 460. pass by me and into the hands of another.
- 461. Those gloves have become
the gloves of conviction to me.
- 462. I'm not going to miss another opportunity.
- 463. From now on, when I have
those little nudges inside,
- 464. I'm going to listen.
- 465. Remember, living for Jesus
- 466. is not always easy, but it's always right.
- 467. Hey, thanks for coming to Break Thru.
- 468. See you here next week,
same time, same place.
- 469. Don't forget, we have pizza in the back.
- 470. - Yeah!
- Pizza! Sweet!
- 471. You're the best, Amy.
- 472. See you at cell group on Wednesday?
- 473. - Yeah, absolutely.
- Okay. Bye.
- 474. Bye.
- 475. Have you seen him before?
- 476. No. But he's not exactly the type
you'd want to take home to Mom, so...
- 477. - Let's go.
- I'll be right back.
- 478. Okay. Hurry. I want to go.
- 479. Hi.
- 480. I'm Rachel.
- 481. Uh...
- 482. Hey.
- 483. Uh, see you.
- 484. Um... I just wanted to
welcome you to Break Thru.
- 485. Hey.
- 486. You never told me your name.
- 487. What are you doing here?
- 488. Kind of rude for you
to just walk off like that.
- 489. I don't... really like church.
- 490. Why'd you come?
- 491. For the food.
- 492. Look, you should probably
go get in your daddy's car
- 493. - and go home.
- I don't have my own car.
- 494. Or my own dad at home.
- 495. I walked.
- 496. Fine. I'll walk you back, then.
- 497. This really isn't a place
for a girl like you.
- 498. - What does that mean?
- It means
- 499. you don't really fit in around here.
- 500. I don't care. Hey...
- 501. Can I help you?
- 502. No. Okay? I don't...
- 503. I don't need some dumb little
sister I got to look out for.
- 504. I've never had a big brother before.
- 505. Come on, you must need something.
- 506. You're not just gonna get rid of me.
- 507. I'm not leaving until you
tell me something you need.
- 508. Shh. Okay?
- 509. That's not helping.
- 510. What are you doing?
- 511. What does it look like?
- 512. Would you please just go?
- 513. I don't need a dumb big brother.
- 514. I'll buy it for you.
- 515. I just got my paycheck.
What else do you need?
- 516. You don't have to do this.
- 517. Okay? I can take care of myself.
- 518. I'm not so sure.
- 519. You can't even buy your own food.
- 520. It's not for me.
- 521. So, who's the food for?
- 522. My mom.
- 523. What's her deal?
- 524. Hm. She's really sick.
- 525. It's... it's her own fault, though.
- 526. She's barely eating anymore.
- 527. Oh.
- 528. She used to like pizza.
- 529. So, where do you live?
- 530. Oh, she lost the apartment
a few weeks ago,
- 531. so I've just been sleeping wherever.
- 532. Are you gonna be okay?
- 533. Yeah, I'll be fine.
- 534. We have our cell group
at the church on Wednesday.
- 535. What's that? Is it,
like, prison or something?
- 536. Yeah, that's totally confusing.
- 537. It's just a group of friends.
- 538. We hang out,
and we're there for each other.
- 539. - Yeah, that's cool.
- I want you to come.
- 540. No. That's-that's not for me.
- 541. If you don't, I'll come find you.
- 542. Rach!
- 543. Where have you been?
I've been waiting for forever.
- 544. Oh, crap! That's my sister.
- 545. Got to go.
- 546. Wednesday. Don't forget.
- 547. Hey.
- 548. Nathan Ballard.
- 549. Good to meet you, Nate.
- 550. Seriously, what have you been doing?
- 551. Are you seriously copying
- 552. He's got a 2.0.
- 553. - Hey.
- 554. Alert. Thrift store shopper.
- 555. Ew. Who would wear that?
- 556. Nothing wrong with vintage.
- 557. I guess.
- 558. You okay, Celine?
- 559. Yeah, I'm fine.
- 560. Is there anything
I can pray for you about?
- 561. I will be so glad when you get
over this whole Jesus freak phase.
- 562. Oh, definitely don't do that with Alex.
- 563. I think he likes my spiritual side.
- 564. Trust me, it is a really big turnoff.
- 565. I'd get rid of all the fat,
- 566. stupid, ignorant,
- 567. rich, worthless people of this world.
- 568. Yeah.
- 569. No one is worthy of this planet.
- 570. Only me and who I choose.
- 571. Everyone should be sent out into space,
- 572. and only the people I say
should be left behind.
- 573. Yo!
- 574. Look at these fartknockers!
- 575. What's up, four-eyes?
- 576. Hey, yeah, help your buddy out, guys.
- 577. Good teamwork.
- 578. Yo, give me some.
- 579. Boom! Whoo!
- 580. If only this was Columbine.
- 581. Bam!
- 582. Maybe it could be.
- 583. You're sick, man.
- 584. You're the one who brought it up.
- 585. I wasn't serious.
- 586. Hey. Hey, guys.
- 587. Let's get started, okay?
- 588. I'll be right back.
- 589. Hey.
- 590. I'm right here.
- 591. - You scared me.
- Now you know how it feels.
- 592. What are you doing?
- 593. Oh, I'm just making sure my dumb little
sister doesn't walk these streets by herself.
- 594. I brought some food for you to take home.
- 595. Or wherever.
- 596. Thanks.
- 597. You want to come inside?
- 598. No.
- 599. I-I don't.
- 600. I'll go play in traffic if you don't.
- 601. It's been such a stressful week.
- 602. I've got this huge test
coming up in physics.
- 603. And I hate physics.
- 604. Okay, well, we will pray for that.
- 605. I know it's your first time, but...
- 606. if you want to share
about how your week has been...
- 607. - Yes, he does.
- No, I don't.
- 608. It's okay.
- 609. Um...
- 610. well...
- 611. my week kind of...
- 612. sucked.
- 613. It's... well, my dad's in jail,
- 614. and, uh...
- 615. my mom, sh... uh, she's a...
she's a heroin addict,
- 616. so she's... she's not eating anymore.
- 617. You know, it's, like...
- 618. She's staying in this house
that's full of junkies,
- 619. so I've been living in an alley
near here the past couple weeks.
- 620. And, uh...
- 621. it's just really hard to get a job,
- 622. you know, without an address.
- 623. Are you okay?
- 624. Where are you going?
- 625. What was I supposed to say?
- 626. - That's exactly what you should have said.
- 627. I'm not like them. And I'm...
definitely not like you.
- 628. How do you know?
- 629. You haven't even bothered
to get to know any of them.
- 630. Listen...
- 631. I get it.
- 632. - You've had it rough.
- Hey, Nate.
- 633. It's Nathan.
- 634. Nathan.
- 635. Sorry. Um...
- 636. it's not much, but...
- 637. if you want, um, you could stay
at my place until you figure things out.
- 638. We got a couch in the basement.
- 639. If that doesn't work, um, I think...
some of the other guys
- 640. are checking with their parents, too.
- 641. Thanks, man.
- 642. That's...
- 643. You can call me Nate.
- 644. It's cool.
- 645. Tony.
- 646. - Eric?
- Why are you still at home?
- 647. You're three minutes late.
- 648. Oh, man. I slept in.
- 649. You slept in again? What,
you don't own an alarm clock?
- 650. I'm running late. So what?
Ride the bus, Eric.
- 651. I'm not gonna ride the bus
with those idiots!
- 652. Look, man, I'm not
your personal taxi service.
- 653. If you're not here
in five minutes, you're dead.
- 654. I know where you sleep.
- 655. - Hey, yo, R.J.!
- 656. - Got a date to prom yet?
- 657. He never asked me.
- 658. What?
- 659. - Want to bet on that?
- Shut up.
- 660. Mm!
- 661. Sorry, R.J., this is Dave.
- 662. Just moved here from the Springs.
- 663. - Hey.
- 664. You like it here so far?
- 665. It's all right.
- 666. I don't really know many people yet.
- 667. Why'd you move?
- 668. Parents separated.
- 669. I've been through that.
- 670. Mom took us up here
and we moved in with my aunt.
- 671. Well, they're not divorced yet.
- 672. Maybe there's some hope.
- 673. Maybe.
- 674. Hey, I got to run,
but if you ever want to talk,
- 675. let me know.
- 676. All right.
- 677. Thanks.
- 678. I'm going to meet with my mentor.
- 679. - Ooh, zee mentor.
- The mentor.
- 680. Ow! Ow!
- 681. Get that part!
- 682. I just lost my date to prom.
- 683. I've never been in here all alone.
- 684. Well, I figure if we practice in here,
- 685. then when you audition,
it won't be such a big deal.
- 686. You'll be comfortable with the space.
- 687. Good idea.
- 688. Even though all the world's my stage.
- 689. And Alex and Rachel merely players.
- 690. They have their exits and their entrances.
- 691. Oh, bravo.
- 692. You know, that's a poem read
by a depressed guy about death.
- 693. Or life.
- 694. Depending on how you look at it.
- 695. Step on up here, my muse. This...
- 696. is where it all begins.
- 697. You are so full of it, Jason!
- 698. I'm done. I'm never talking to you again!
- 699. I know you can do better.
- 700. I just don't really believe you yet.
- 701. It's okay. Just close your eyes, okay?
- 702. And imagine how she feels.
- 703. Okay, the passion.
- 704. The anger.
- 705. The attraction.
- 706. - I'm going to play practice.
- 707. Honey, that's every night this week.
- 708. Mom, you know how important this is to me.
- 709. Yes, I know, but don't be late.
- 710. You have homework to get done.
- 711. And I expect you to stay up as late
- 712. - as you need to to get it done!
- 713. You know, my... my parents,
they weren't really there for me.
- 714. My dad just up and left when I was a kid.
- 715. My mom was left with nothing.
- 716. I haven't talked to him in years.
- 717. It leaves a hole inside, doesn't it?
- 718. Yeah.
- 719. - Whoa...
- Oh, wow.
- 720. Madison didn't tell me
you were that good at ballet.
- 721. - I have many secret talents.
- 722. I'm about to fail this geometry test.
- 723. Thank God I'm an artist.
- 724. You need a mentor?
- 725. Oh, only if it's you.
- 726. You're welcome.
- 727. I take complete credit for this.
- 728. - You look so cute together!
- What happened?
- 729. Tell me!
- 730. - I'll see you guys.
- See you.
- 731. - Hey, you.
- 732. How's the play going?
- 733. So good.
- 734. I think this senior guy likes me,
- 735. and we totally connect in so many ways.
- 736. Well, it better not be in every way.
- 737. Don't worry, he's great.
- 738. Hey!
- 739. - Hey, don't read that!
- I want to be in the mind
- 740. of Rachel Joy, to know
everything about you.
- 741. I've pretty much told you.
- 742. "Oh, God, give me strength.
- 743. "Help me choose a path
we both know is right.
- 744. The path that leads to you."
- 745. What's that all about?
- 746. Just some stuff I wrote a while ago.
- 747. Wouldn't just call it "stuff."
- 748. That's really good.
- 749. Don't you think it's weird
how similar our families are?
- 750. Yeah.
- 751. Yeah, we're like...
- 752. I think we were meant to find each other.
- 753. We both know the same pain.
- 754. Yeah.
- 755. But it's okay, you know,
'cause pain, it...
- 756. it gives us an energy that
we can channel for our art.
- 757. I mean, sometimes you need
the darkness to bring the light.
- 758. Yeah.
- 759. Now, use the pain!
- 760. You are so full of it, Jason. I'm done.
- 761. I'm never talking to you again.
- 762. Well, that's just it.
- 763. We can't be done.
- 764. I love you.
- 765. Was that acting, or was it real?
- 766. Well, aren't they the same?
- 767. You were brilliant.
- 768. My acting or the kiss?
- 769. You're ready.
- 770. I'm Rachel Joy Scott,
and I'm auditioning for the role of Andi
- 771. in "The Chance of Possibility."
- 772. Thank you, God.
- 773. Yes!
- 774. Hey.
- 775. So?
- 776. Yeah, I got the lead role!
- 777. - Oh!
- Congratulations, girl!
- 778. The drama queen finally has her crown.
- 779. Hey, I heard Alex is gonna
rewrite the play for you.
- 780. How'd you know?
- 781. He told me... how great you were.
- 782. He kissed me, too.
- 783. - Oh!
- Oh, my God!
- 784. You got the part and the boy.
- 785. Everything you wanted.
Your life is complete.
- 786. It's nice to be wanted for once.
- 787. - Yeah.
- 788. - Thanks.
- 789. - You're a great friend.
- Don't get all mushy on me.
- 790. - It's not a big deal.
- It is a big deal.
- 791. - It's, like, her first one.
- So cute.
- 792. - Maybe we'll go to prom together.
- 793. Easy, tiger, let's see if we can
make it past Christmas first.
- 794. I hate this school.
- 795. Yeah... me, too.
- 796. We'll get our revenge.
- 797. Kick natural selection up a few notches.
- 798. This is Jesus's blood shed for you.
- 799. Do this in remembrance of him.
- 800. This is Christ's body.
- 801. Do this in remembrance of him.
- 802. This is Jesus's blood shed for you.
- 803. Do this in...
- 804. - Hey.
- 805. Did you get the job?
- 806. Yeah.
- 807. I mean, I mean, I finally had an address
I could put on that application.
- 808. Thanks.
- 809. For everything.
I don't... know where I'd be.
- 810. Hey, it's what little sisters do.
- 811. You want to come sit?
- 812. Oh, I'm staying with Clay's family
till I save up for first month's rent.
- 813. That's awesome.
- 814. I meant to ask you...
what's with the dog tags?
- 815. Oh.
- 816. These are my grandfather's.
- 817. He fought in World War II.
- 818. Were you close to your grandpa?
- 819. Yeah.
- 820. I... I mean, I lived
with him until he died.
- 821. He pretty much raised me as a kid.
- 822. Wow.
- 823. I love it.
- 824. Super vintage.
- 825. So, I got you something.
- 826. Yeah... close your eyes.
- 827. Huh.
- 828. Merry Christmas.
- 829. Uh, what is it?
- 830. It's a journal.
- 831. So you can write down your thoughts
or poems or songs or whatever.
- 832. And then any time you have a thought
or we want to tell each other something,
- 833. you just put it in there
and we can trade it back and forth.
- 834. All right.
- 835. It's cool.
- 836. Uh...
- 837. how's the play going?
- 838. So good.
- 839. - Yeah?
- 840. When do I get to meet Alex?
- 841. I don't know.
- 842. Sometime.
- 843. Uh, why don't you just
invite him to cell group?
- 844. I don't know if it's his thing.
- 845. Well, it wasn't my thing, either.
- 846. Uh, hey, you... thanks for this.
- 847. It's... cool. I mean, most people
wouldn't give a freak like me a journal.
- 848. I'm glad you like it.
- 849. I'm gonna draw a lot of pictures.
- 850. Good.
- 851. - Thank you, guys.
- 852. - Did you make a wish?
- I bet she forgot.
- 853. Yes, of course.
- 854. Happy birthday.
- 855. Well, this box isn't
big enough for an Acura.
- 856. Exactly.
- 857. But it is big enough for the key.
- 858. - Oh, my... Thank you!
- You're welcome.
- 859. Thanks, Mom!
- 860. Now, your mom and I can trust you,
right... not to do something
- 861. stupid or illegal with the car?
- 862. Yes.
- 863. We just want you to be safe.
- 864. Pinky promise.
- 865. That doesn't even mean anything.
- 866. Yes, it does.
- 867. Thank you.
- 868. You're welcome.
- 869. You know, prom's coming up.
- 870. Oh, yeah, it is.
- 871. What, in like two months?
- 872. More like a month.
- 873. Hmm.
- 874. So where do you think,
like, we are right now?
- 875. - In the woods?
- 876. Like... like, in our relationship,
like, where do you think we are?
- 877. Oh.
- 878. Well, I don't know, I mean,
I feel like what we have is so good,
- 879. I-I don't want to mess it up
by putting a title on it, you know?
- 880. Yeah.
- 881. No, I like it, too.
- 882. Just... sometimes it's kind of nice
to know if something's official.
- 883. Hmm.
- 884. Yeah, I just...
- 885. I just don't think you can always
define things with words, you know?
- 886. I feel like what we have
is so much stronger
- 887. than human constructs like language.
- 888. Yeah.
- 889. I think we should just
let it be what it is.
- 890. And what's that?
- 891. A heart connection.
- 892. But are we, like, exclusive?
- 893. I mean, I know I am.
- 894. No, I... I can't imagine connecting
with anyone like we have.
- 895. I think I'm ready to take it
to the next level.
- 896. A toast.
- 897. To the famous actors.
- 898. That was so awesome you invited
those kids to Break Thru.
- 899. Yeah, they're good kids.
- 900. Saw them on the streets every day.
- 901. You would've done the same thing.
- 902. I wish you had your own phone line.
- 903. Pray I won't drink this weekend.
- 904. I don't know how to describe it.
- 905. I feel numb.
- 906. Distant from God.
- 907. I don't know why.
- 908. I have nothing to complain about.
- 909. Everything's going great.
- 910. I wish you could tell me
what's going on with you,
- 911. 'cause I want to try to make it better.
- 912. I'm gonna do a lot of praying for you
this week, 'cause, uh, I think you need it.
- 913. My passion has sunk to a new low.
- 914. I want more.
- 915. I ask for a bigger desire
of it, but it's like I'm stuck.
- 916. I want to tap into something higher.
- 917. I hope you understand what I'm saying,
- 918. 'cause I don't know how else to say it.
- 919. You know, we seek
for answers in a world of lies.
- 920. Just don't believe
the lies Satan will tell you.
- 921. You feel like God's not watching.
- 922. But you're number one in his sight,
'cause believe me,
- 923. when you're stuck and you feel
like you can't go any further,
- 924. he still believes in you.
- 925. Sorry, I got to go to bed now.
- 926. Pain, pain, go away.
- 927. Come again another day.
- 928. Because of you, I'm led astray.
- 929. I'm sorry, but it wasn't mine.
- 930. Either way, it's not exactly legal to
drive around minors who are drinking.
- 931. We trusted you.
- 932. Mom, I wasn't drinking.
- 933. Maybe you should just quit the play.
- 934. Mom, you can't do that.
- 935. We're a few days away, and that's
not fair to everybody involved.
- 936. You come in smelling like smoke.
- 937. Dana says you're not even
going to Break Thru anymore.
- 938. What's going on?
- 939. I'm fine.
- 940. I don't like you going to these parties.
- 941. That's where people are
that need light the most.
- 942. I'm trying to make an impact.
- 943. I think they're impacting you
more than you're impacting them.
- 944. I'm gonna take away your keys until
your mom says you can have them back.
- 945. Are you serious?
- 946. Guys, I didn't do anything.
- 947. Don't forget to recycle.
- 948. Hey, stranger.
- 949. Hey.
- 950. I... miss seeing you around.
- 951. I know. I'm sorry.
- 952. Just been really busy
with the play and stuff.
- 953. - Yeah.
- But, hey, opening night's this week.
- 954. Are you gonna come?
- 955. I wouldn't miss it.
- 956. And I got you an Easter present.
- 957. Easter?
- 958. - Is that not a thing?
- 959. But I'll take it.
- 960. Nate...
- 961. are you sure?
- 962. If it weren't for you and my grandpa,
- 963. I don't know where I'd be.
- 964. You accepted me for who I am, and...
- 965. I want you... I want you to have them.
- 966. So sweet.
- 967. I love it.
- 968. Really.
- 969. What's up with the hemp necklace?
- 970. It's not really your style.
- 971. Alex gave it to me.
- 972. Yeah, why don't you bring him around?
- 973. I just don't know where I stand
with him right now exactly.
- 974. What does he say?
- 975. Just that we're gonna finish the play,
and then we'll figure things out.
- 976. I mean, is he kissing you
while he figures things out?
- 977. Sort of.
- 978. "Sort of"?
- 979. But most of it's for the play.
- 980. Well, is he a Christian?
- 981. He's really spiritual.
- 982. I thought you said you wanted
a Christian boyfriend.
- 983. He really respects my faith.
- 984. He just believes in a lot
of things right now.
- 985. I don't know why you
mess around with that guy.
- 986. You know, out of all people,
I didn't think you would judge him.
- 987. I'm-I'm not judging. I'm just...
- 988. Uh, Rachel, I think you're being stupid.
- 989. You know, I thought I could
talk to you about this.
- 990. Well, you can.
- 991. For the first time,
someone really wants me.
- 992. He makes me feel like I am somebody.
- 993. Rach, I think you really
deserve someone better.
- 994. He is better.
- 995. Places, everyone.
- 996. What if we lived in a world
with endless possibilities?
- 997. But is that even possible?
- 998. - Gosh, Andi, don't be so impossible.
- I'm not!
- 999. I'm full of possibilities.
- 1000. I don't know what you want me to say.
- 1001. Why not give possibility a chance? Right?
- 1002. Is there still a chance
we can give this a possibility?
- 1003. You are so full of it, Jason! I'm done!
- 1004. I'm never talking to you again!
- 1005. But that's just it.
- 1006. We can't be done.
- 1007. I love you.
- 1008. Aw...
- 1009. - Awesome.
- Thank you, Austin.
- 1010. That means a lot.
- 1011. Hey, I'm gonna go, but you did awesome.
- 1012. Bye.
- 1013. Hey.
- 1014. Hey, Rach.
- 1015. Uh...
- 1016. - Mm.
- 1017. You...
- 1018. yeah, you were real good, you know?
- 1019. Some of those lines
were a little weird, though.
- 1020. - Thank you.
- Who's the critic?
- 1021. Nice suit.
- 1022. You must be Alex.
- 1023. Um, Alex, this is Nathan.
- 1024. Alex wrote the play.
- 1025. So, what'd you think?
- 1026. I liked everything about it... except you.
- 1027. Let's get out of here, Rach.
We're going to Shep's.
- 1028. Bye, Nate.
- 1029. Hey.
- 1030. You better take care of her.
- 1031. I think Rachel can take care of herself.
- 1032. I don't know what she needs you for.
- 1033. Nate, stop it!
- 1034. What are you doing?
- 1035. He's like a white hat alumni,
and he can't even dress himself.
- 1036. I'm so sorry. I...
I've never seen him like that.
- 1037. I'm not gonna let any negative
energy intrude tonight.
- 1038. It's time to celebrate.
- 1039. Let's party, guys!
- 1040. Now that the play's over, I really
want to figure things out with Alex.
- 1041. What's there to figure out?
You guys are a thing.
- 1042. It doesn't totally feel like it.
- 1043. You missed a button.
- 1044. Celine, I...
- 1045. I worry about you
with always having a new...
- 1046. What?
- 1047. Leave me alone. I'm just having fun.
- 1048. You should have some fun, too.
- 1049. Okay.
- 1050. Oh, hey-hey, look who we have here.
- 1051. You know, Madison might have been
the best ballet dancer in the fourth grade,
- 1052. but Rachel is by far the best actress
- 1053. - in the school.
- Alex, you're such a spaz.
- 1054. We produced a hit play!
- 1055. You look ravishing tonight.
- 1056. Part of me is glad the play's over.
- 1057. It's loud. Do you want to...
go somewhere we can be alone?
- 1058. - I can't do this.
- It's okay. Just trust me.
- 1059. There's dog food in here.
- 1060. We can go somewhere else.
- 1061. No. That's not what I'm saying.
- 1062. Well, I thought you wanted
to take it to the next level.
- 1063. No, not like this.
- 1064. I meant a commitment.
- 1065. I don't even know what we are.
- 1066. You don't?
- 1067. After all that we've felt together?
- 1068. I mean...
- 1069. just...
- 1070. be in the moment
and go with those feelings.
- 1071. Trust me, I... I want what you want.
- 1072. I'm not so sure.
- 1073. - I need some space.
- 1074. Have you seen Alex?
- 1075. I thought he was with you.
- 1076. No, we were making out...
- 1077. TMI, girl.
- 1078. I think you should just chill.
- 1079. No, I have to find him
before things get weird.
- 1080. Madison?
- 1081. - Rach...
- 1082. - It just happened.
- How could you do that?
- 1083. You were being kind of high-maintenance.
- 1084. I just wanted to explain...
- 1085. why I left and...
- 1086. what I believe in and...
- 1087. I don't really respond
to limitations, Rachel.
- 1088. I told you that this Jesus
freak thing would be an issue.
- 1089. Wait, are you...? Are you, like, a...
- 1090. serious Christian?
- 1091. What, you didn't know that?
- 1092. Looks like you needed a better boyfriend.
- 1093. He wasn't my boyfriend.
- 1094. Then you needed a better mentor.
- 1095. You don't like me much, do you?
- 1096. People like you are just
intolerant, self-righteous hypocrites.
- 1097. That's a pretty intolerant stereotype
to put on millions of Christians.
- 1098. God's just some outdated
- 1099. How can you really believe in some being
up in the sky that you can't even see?
- 1100. Sometimes you have to see with your heart.
- 1101. Is this when you try and convert me?
- 1102. I'm not like that.
- 1103. I just want to live my life for Jesus
- 1104. and let people take
whatever they want from that.
- 1105. That's cool.
- 1106. You sound more like
a Buddhist than a Christian.
- 1107. Maybe you should get to know one.
- 1108. It's second period.
- 1109. Where's Celine going?
- 1110. I don't know.
- 1111. She's a big girl.
- 1112. Who cares?
- 1113. I care.
- 1114. What do you want?
- 1115. Why aren't you at school?
- 1116. Just didn't feel like it.
- 1117. What are you... my parole officer?
- 1118. No.
- 1119. Celine, I just wanted to talk.
- 1120. Who is that?
- 1121. Look, now's not the best time, okay?
- 1122. I'll call you later.
- 1123. Celine... I am sick of ignoring it all
and pretending like
- 1124. everything's okay with you.
- 1125. Oh, please, Little Miss Perfect.
- 1126. How could you possibly understand?
- 1127. I know what it's like to be in pain.
- 1128. You don't know anything.
- 1129. You think you make a difference here?
- 1130. Well, you don't.
- 1131. Celine, I'm not trying to fix anything.
- 1132. You change nothing.
- 1133. Nate, I wish you were here right now.
- 1134. I wish I could be numb to the pain,
- 1135. instead of numb to God
and you and everyone else.
- 1136. I feel like I'm fading away.
- 1137. Like I'm beyond repair.
- 1138. I don't even want
to live through the night.
- 1139. Things are coming at me
- 1140. from all different directions,
and they can't be blocked.
- 1141. There's nothing you can say or do to help.
- 1142. I know that's hard to hear.
- 1143. I put this face on as a strong
Christian to everyone but you.
- 1144. But I'm not like that on the inside.
- 1145. I'm just not as strong as you.
- 1146. Words don't seem to help anymore.
- 1147. Maybe we shouldn't write.
- 1148. I'm worthless.
- 1149. I make no difference.
- 1150. No one notices.
- 1151. No one understands.
- 1152. No one cares.
- 1153. Not even God.
- 1154. I'm drowning in my own wake of despair.
- 1155. Choking, my hands
are wrapped around my neck.
- 1156. I'm dying.
- 1157. Quickly my soul leaves.
- 1158. It isn't suicide.
- 1159. I consider it homicide.
- 1160. The world you have created
has led to my death.
- 1161. Hey.
- 1162. Hey, no, I'm-I'm so sorry.
- 1163. I don't... I don't know
what's gotten into me lately.
- 1164. You know, and I... I did not mean
to lose it on that guy, just, I... I was
- 1165. really just trying to look out for you.
- 1166. No, no... You were right.
- 1167. I should've listened to you.
- 1168. Are you okay?
- 1169. You kind of saved my life today.
- 1170. I did?
- 1171. Yeah.
- 1172. I wasn't in a good place,
and I just wanted it all to end.
- 1173. And I thought it was the only way out.
- 1174. But then I saw your dog tags.
- 1175. And I was like, "If-if I die,
he's gonna think it's all his fault."
- 1176. And I didn't want you going through life
thinking it had been all your fault.
- 1177. 'Cause that fight we had.
- 1178. Okay, you...
- 1179. I'm-I'm glad you're here.
- 1180. Me, too.
- 1181. If you need to talk, you know,
you can... you can talk to me.
- 1182. I miss my big brother.
- 1183. Do you want to go inside? I mean,
- 1184. everyone's gonna be
really excited to see you.
- 1185. - Okay.
- 1186. Dear Heavenly Father, Lord,
we just thank you right now.
- 1187. God, we just ask for your...
- 1188. for your strength over Rachel, Lord.
- 1189. We just want her to feel
your presence, Lord,
- 1190. and experience some peace.
- 1191. God, I just thank you for loving her...
- 1192. I am not going to apologize
- 1193. for speaking the name of Jesus.
- 1194. And I'm not going to hide the light
that God has put in me.
- 1195. If I have to sacrifice everything...
- 1196. I will.
- 1197. I will take it.
- 1198. I lost most of my friends at school.
- 1199. That's kind of weird.
- 1200. She's spending time
with Jesus or whatever.
- 1201. What does that even mean?
- 1202. Now that I've begun to walk
my talk, they make fun of me.
- 1203. But you know what?
- 1204. It's all worth it to me.
- 1205. So, how's everything else going with you?
- 1206. You know, being betrayed
by your best friend sucks.
- 1207. But the worst part was that he
didn't know I was a Christian.
- 1208. Rach, you just got to be you.
- 1209. I know.
- 1210. I wasn't being real.
- 1211. I'm not gonna let that happen again.
- 1212. Check this out.
- 1213. Okay.
- 1214. So, you're not gonna be a...
- 1215. beer-chuggin', pot-trippin',
cigar-puffin', drug-dealin' Christian?
- 1216. - No, I'm a God-lovin'...
- 1217. Satan-slammin', Jesus-freakin',
- 1218. Warrior for Christ.
- 1219. Oh, that's-that's tight.
- 1220. Well, people aren't gonna
accept us for our faith.
- 1221. But it's okay.
- 1222. We have to love and serve them anyways.
- 1223. And I'm talking compassion, forgiveness.
- 1224. I mean, if we don't,
what's gonna attract them to God?
- 1225. So...
- 1226. what about Madison?
- 1227. Well, maybe not her.
- 1228. Come on, Rach!
- 1229. Oh, the angry ex is coming over.
- 1230. Madison, can we talk?
- 1231. What for?
- 1232. Oh, my gosh.
Would you look at her clothes?
- 1233. Talk about your thrift store special.
- 1234. Like, someone else's B.O. is in that.
- 1235. Madison, when can we talk?
- 1236. I don't see any real reason to, Rachel.
- 1237. It is what it is.
- 1238. I can't help what happened, so...
- 1239. just... go, all right?
- 1240. Hey. I'm Rachel.
- 1241. Wow.
- 1242. Is that vintage?
- 1243. Looks great on you.
- 1244. It's a little too pastel for my taste.
- 1245. Hi. I'm Celine.
- 1246. Reagan.
- 1247. Hey, Rach, look, about the other day,
- 1248. it's just my mom and her drunk boyfriend.
- 1249. They're all messed up.
- 1250. I just didn't want anyone to know.
- 1251. Celine, I wouldn't tell anybody.
- 1252. I just worry about you.
- 1253. Why? I'm, like, the most perfect kid.
- 1254. You know, my mom would
totally let you stay with us.
- 1255. We should probably stop ignoring her.
- 1256. It's gonna be like Oklahoma City,
the L.A. riots and World War II
- 1257. - all mixed into one.
- 1258. Like a video game.
- 1259. I-I want to leave a lasting
impression on this stupid world.
- 1260. - Start a chain reaction.
- 1261. - Boom!
- 1262. I've always been drawn to hands.
- 1263. I think it's because it's
the way that we touch people.
- 1264. Compassion is the greatest form
of love that humans have to offer.
- 1265. I have this theory that if one person
- 1266. can go out of their way
to show compassion,
- 1267. it could start a chain reaction.
- 1268. How do you know that trust and beauty
- 1269. and compassion won't make the
world a better place to be in?
- 1270. Tomorrow's not a promise...
- 1271. but it's a chance.
- 1272. You just might start a chain reaction.
- 1273. And what's behind all of this is my faith.
- 1274. I'm a Christian.
- 1275. And... I'm not trying to be weird,
- 1276. or convert anybody or anything like that.
- 1277. I just wanted to be real with you guys
and let you know who I am.
- 1278. Jesus gave his life for me...
- 1279. and I'll give my life to him.
- 1280. Just wanted to get that out there.
- 1281. Thank you, Rachel.
- 1282. Okay, up next...
- 1283. we have Eric and Dylan.
- 1284. Let's watch their video
on how they would change the world.
- 1285. Those bullies are always picking on me,
- 1286. and I don't like it.
- 1287. - Can you help?
- Yeah. You know we...
- 1288. can't have weapons on school grounds.
- 1289. But if you can get them away,
we'll take them out.
- 1290. For $2,000, we'll get rid of them.
- 1291. Permanently.
- 1292. Do we have to watch this?
- 1293. No, we don't.
- 1294. Okay, I think we've seen enough.
- 1295. That... would make the world
a better place.
- 1296. Yo. It's... it's Rachel, right?
- 1297. Yeah. We've only been
in class together all semester.
- 1298. I know. I'm bad with names.
- 1299. Hey, I didn't know you were a Christian.
- 1300. Now you do.
- 1301. Now everybody does.
- 1302. Was it too much?
- 1303. No. That was dope.
- 1304. I've been a Christian for a while now.
- 1305. Just started going to FCA, though.
- 1306. I had no idea.
- 1307. It took me a little while
to find my place around here,
- 1308. being the new guy and all,
but... I'm all good now.
- 1309. I've been here my whole life,
and I'm still working on it.
- 1310. But what you said
back there was really cool.
- 1311. You inspired me.
- 1312. Hey.
- 1313. Look out for my friend Austin
when I'm not around.
- 1314. All right.
- 1315. Got it.
- 1316. Later, Rachel.
- 1317. - Later.
- 1318. I remembered.
- 1319. What's your problem?
- 1320. - What?
- I know you did that.
- 1321. - Did what?
- I didn't stop your stupid Jesus speech.
- 1322. - You think you're better than us?
- No. No,
- 1323. - I'm not better than anybody.
- Oh, I know you're not.
- 1324. I got to get to class.
- 1325. You're just like all the others.
- 1326. Compassion. Yeah, that'll work.
- 1327. So, you gonna go?
- 1328. Hey, R.J.
- 1329. So, has, uh...
- 1330. Alex begged you to take him back yet?
- 1331. No. He's into Madison's aura now.
- 1332. Well, good, because...
- 1333. Look, we always said that
if we never find anyone else,
- 1334. then... we would go.
- 1335. I'd be honored.
- 1336. - Yeah?
- 1337. - May I have this dance, mademoiselle?
- Yes, you may.
- 1338. Bethanie!
- 1339. - Oh! Thanks for coming.
- I wouldn't miss
- 1340. - helping you get ready for prom.
- 1341. Look at that dress!
- 1342. - Oh, it's perfect!
- Let's get you ready.
- 1343. So, I hear you and Kevin
are writing next year's play.
- 1344. Yeah.
- 1345. Mrs. Diaz asked us.
- 1346. You'll do great.
- 1347. Let me know if you need any help.
- 1348. Technically, I'm still your mentor.
- 1349. Always the generous one.
- 1350. Oh, look.
- 1351. They're playing our song.
- 1352. We don't have a song.
- 1353. I know.
- 1354. I wish we would have, though.
- 1355. This one would have been a good one.
- 1356. Hey.
- 1357. I wish it didn't go down like that.
- 1358. You know, I... I never meant
to be drawn to her energy.
- 1359. I couldn't help it.
- 1360. Well, it hurt.
- 1361. A lot.
- 1362. I'm trying to forgive you.
- 1363. I don't know, I...
- 1364. I think we just view life differently.
- 1365. Yeah.
- 1366. Although we can agree on one thing.
- 1367. All the world's a stage.
- 1368. And the men and women merely players.
- 1369. They have their entrances...
- 1370. and their exits.
- 1371. Bye, Alex.
- 1372. Let's get out of here.
- 1373. - All right.
- Hey, Maddy?
- 1374. I miss you.
- 1375. Hey, C. Having fun?
- 1376. How can you stand talking to her?
- 1377. I would have made
a voodoo doll or something.
- 1378. I don't know.
- 1379. It's... it's hard.
- 1380. But...
- 1381. I think forgiveness is one of those things
- 1382. that can change the world.
- 1383. Always trying to change the world.
- 1384. I'm so tired, Rachel.
- 1385. Of all of this.
- 1386. Of my life.
- 1387. I don't even know why I'm here.
- 1388. Well... usually, you come to these things
- 1389. to make out with guys, so...
- 1390. I just want something like you have.
- 1391. You can handle the pain.
- 1392. Come over next week,
when we don't have, like,
- 1393. people dancing around us...
- 1394. and we'll talk.
- 1395. We'll talk all about it.
- 1396. Yeah.
- 1397. I can't believe I'm saying this.
- 1398. But maybe I'll even do
that whole breakdown,
- 1399. breakout, break dancing that you do.
- 1400. - Break Thru?
- Yeah. Whatever.
- 1401. Why can't I see my future?
- 1402. I can't picture myself going to college...
- 1403. getting married.
- 1404. Any of it.
- 1405. Nate...
- 1406. if God loves me so much,
- 1407. why does he put me through so much pain?
- 1408. I mean...
- 1409. I don't know.
- 1410. Life's gonna be hard sometimes.
- 1411. But...
- 1412. he's there.
- 1413. You know?
- 1414. And, uh...
- 1415. as hard as that is to grasp...
- 1416. he's in control.
- 1417. Hey, Austin.
- 1418. - How's it going?
- Going to chemistry.
- 1419. You want to do something this weekend?
- 1420. Uh, with who?
- 1421. With me. We can go, like,
- 1422. - see a movie or something Friday.
- 1423. we go on a-a real date?
- 1424. Yeah. Sure.
- 1425. Have you ever been on one?
- 1426. Oh, yeah. Lots of them.
- 1427. I didn't know you were such a player.
- 1428. With my mom.
- 1429. Got it.
- 1430. Well, sorry I'm not your mom.
- 1431. You're prettier.
- 1432. You are a player!
- 1433. See you Friday, Austin.
- 1434. Yes!
- 1435. Yo, at least a nine.
- 1436. I hear you, bro.
Yeah, I see you. I see you.
- 1437. Got that 2.0, baby!
- 1438. Yo.
- 1439. Look, I mean, you keep throwing,
you keep hitting like you do, bro...
- 1440. Hey, man, just trying to be more like you.
- 1441. Just make it... make it do
what it do, bro.
- 1442. Hey-hey-hey, hold up. Is it...
- 1443. - Andrew?
- 1444. Right. Austin.
- 1445. I suck with names.
- 1446. Give it here, man.
- 1447. Yeah.
- 1448. Check this freak out.
- 1449. Yo, you got a problem?
- 1450. - Let's bounce.
- Come with?
- 1451. Sure.
- 1452. Are you sure about this?
- 1453. - Yeah, I'm sure.
- All right.
- 1454. - Here, buddy.
- 1455. When the bombs blow up,
it's gonna be awesome.
- 1456. Boom!
- 1457. The library will fall on the cafeteria,
and when they all run out,
- 1458. we'll be waiting outside to take 'em out.
- 1459. Time for a kick start!
- 1460. Finally, we are gonna make things right.
- 1461. We'll be heroes.
- 1462. Heil Hitler.
- 1463. I can hear 'em now.
- 1464. If... only we would
have reached them sooner,
- 1465. or-or found this tape!
- 1466. Oh, if only we would
have searched their rooms.
- 1467. If only we would have asked
the right questions!
- 1468. Too late.
- 1469. Am I the only one who sees?
- 1470. Am I the only one who craves your glory?
- 1471. All I want is for someone to walk
with me through these halls of tragedy.
- 1472. There's something in me
that makes me want to cry...
- 1473. and I don't even know what it is.
- 1474. Good morning.
- 1475. It's Tuesday, April the 20th, 1999.
- 1476. We have a clear, sunny spring morning
in the Denver metro.
- 1477. On this day 110 years ago,
- 1478. Adolf Hitler was born.
- 1479. - Creepy.
- Also on this day in hist...
- 1480. Rachel! You're going to be late.
- 1481. - Love you, Mom. Bye.
- 1482. Craig! Come on, let's go!
- 1483. I love you, too.
- 1484. Come on!
- 1485. I'm coming.
- 1486. Finally. How's your hair?
- 1487. Perfect.
- 1488. No spots.
- 1489. Now we have to park
across the street again.
- 1490. Sorry.
- 1491. Why do you wear this anyway?
- 1492. - Those white hats are bullies.
- Well, I'm not one.
- 1493. I know. I just don't want
people to think you are.
- 1494. - It's just what the team wears.
- Hey. Well, think about it.
- 1495. Is that what you want to be known for?
- 1496. Later, lame-o.
- 1497. Dylan, give me the list.
- 1498. - Hey, Rachel.
- 1499. Hey, um... do you think
we could talk at lunch?
- 1500. Is it your parents again?
- 1501. Yeah. Yeah, let's talk outside.
- 1502. No one will bother us out there.
- 1503. Cool. Thanks.
- 1504. - Yeah.
- See you.
- 1505. And I want a cute dress.
- 1506. Oh, I need to get my nails redone.
- 1507. - These are already chipped.
- I'll go with you.
- 1508. - You want to go after school?
- 1509. Read this. Okay?
- 1510. Yeah. Okay.
- 1511. What is this?
- 1512. I have no idea?
- 1513. Rachel, that's amazing.
- 1514. What is it?
- 1515. Just something I was inspired to draw.
- 1516. It's not finished.
- 1517. It's my tears.
- 1518. 13 tears.
- 1519. Why 13?
- 1520. I don't know yet.
- 1521. Rachel, I see a bright future
ahead for you.
- 1522. I'm gonna make a difference in the world.
- 1523. Somehow.
- 1524. Rachel...
- 1525. I have no doubt you will.
- 1526. Hold on. Hey, Rach.
- 1527. Hey.
- 1528. I, uh...
- 1529. read your letter.
- 1530. Good.
- 1531. Uh...
- 1532. we're going to lunch.
- 1533. Want to come? It's just me and Gabby.
- 1534. Thanks, but I already told Dave
Rogers I'd eat with him, so...
- 1535. - Do you even know him?
- 1536. No, not really, but...
- 1537. he says he needs to talk, so...
- 1538. - Okay.
- 1539. But hey, uh, tomorrow, maybe?
- 1540. - Yeah.
- Meet at lunch?
- 1541. - Totally. Okay.
- 1542. - Tomorrow?
- 1543. - Okay.
- See ya.
- 1544. - Bye.
- 1545. Hey.
- 1546. Hey. How are you?
- 1547. I'm good. You ready?
- 1548. Yeah.
- 1549. They're going through with the divorce.
- 1550. It just sucks.
- 1551. Well, you know.
- 1552. Yeah.
- 1553. It's been ten years,
and it's still tough on me.
- 1554. Look who it is.
- 1555. It's past the time.
- 1556. It should have went off already.
- 1557. Plan B.
- 1558. How'd you get through it?
- 1559. - I don't know.
- 1560. There's no easy answer.
- 1561. But I don't think that God
- 1562. Not even the bad stuff.
- 1563. - Is this some kind of prank?
- Go! Go!
- 1564. Well, Rachel...
- 1565. where's your God now?
- 1566. What would Jesus do?
- 1567. Do you still believe in God?
- 1568. You know I do.
- 1569. Then go be with him.
- 1570. Here at Columbine High School,
- 1571. eyewitnesses say that
two gunmen came in shooting
- 1572. and began working their way
through the school.
- 1573. At first, many students
dismissed it as a prank,
- 1574. until teachers raced ahead to classrooms,
yelling for students to run.
- 1575. And then he came into the cafeteria,
- 1576. and you could hear, like,
- 1577. bombs and shotguns going off.
- 1578. And then he came into the library...
- 1579. and he was gonna kill us
if we were of color,
- 1580. and... if we had a hat.
- 1581. People were getting shot all around me.
- 1582. 12 students and one teacher were killed,
- 1583. and more than 25 seriously injured
- 1584. before the two teenage shooters
took their own lives.
- 1585. To the people of the community
- 1586. I can only say tonight that the prayers
of the American people are with you.
- 1587. I'm sorry, Rach.
- 1588. I just wish those weren't
my last words to you.
- 1589. If I... if I had that moment again,
I would have told you I love you.
- 1590. I don't know why they killed her.
- 1591. Rachel never judged.
- 1592. She was what a Christian ought to be.
- 1593. Hey, Rach.
- 1594. It's me, Maddy.
- 1595. I miss you.
- 1596. And I just wanted you to know that
you taught me about forgiveness.
- 1597. I love you.
- 1598. I think you'd find it really ironic
- 1599. that I'm meeting with Amy,
that cell chick leader.
- 1600. Thank you for never giving up on me.
- 1601. What, uh...
- 1602. what happened to her...
- 1603. I haven't lived the best life.
- 1604. And, uh, people always
saw me as a problem,
- 1605. and I... I prayed that...
- 1606. God would send me somebody to love me,
- 1607. to make me feel wanted.
- 1608. I just thank God for sending me an angel.
- 1609. She was, and, uh...
- 1610. she made me feel special when I
didn't even know what that was.
- 1611. And, uh...
- 1612. she...
- 1613. I know you're in Heaven, Rachel, and...
- 1614. I want you to know that I will love you
- 1615. until I see you there one day.
- 1616. These hands belong to Rachel Joy Scott...
- 1617. And will someday touch
millions of people's hearts.