- 1. Hedgehog in The Fog
- 2. In the evenings, Hedgehog went
to Bear's house to count stars.
- 3. Perched on a log, they would sip tea
and gaze into the starry sky.
- 4. It hung over the roof,
right behind the chimney.
- 5. The stars to the right of the chimney
- 6. The stars to the left
- 7. I'll tell him:
"I've brought you raspberry jam..."
- 8. And he'll say:
"The samovar's cooled off—
- 9. We'd better put some of those...
JUNIPER TWIGS on the fire."
- 10. And then I'll tell him...
- 11. and I'll tell him... I'll...
- 12. I wonder, thought Hedgehog,
- 13. If the horse lies down to sleep,
- 14. will she suffocate in the fog?
- 15. And he started off slowly
down the hill
- 16. to get into the fog
- 17. what it was like inside there.
- 18. Hmm. I can't even see my paw!
- 19. Horse!
- 20. But the horse didn't say anything.
- 21. What a weirdo.
- 22. Hedgehog!
- 23. Hedgehog!
- 24. Hedgehog!
- 25. I'm in the river,
- 26. Let the water carry me along,
- 27. He gave a deep sigh and began
to float downstream with the current.
- 28. Hedgehog!
- 29. I'm soaked through. I'll drown soon.
- 30. Suddenly someone touched his paw.
- 31. Excuse me,
said Someone very quietly.
- 32. Who are you and
how did you end up here?
- 33. I'm Hedgehog. I fell in the river.
- 34. Then get on my back.
- 35. I'll carry you to the shore.
- 36. Thank you.
- 37. Don't mention it, said Someone.
- 38. Hedgehog! Where were you?
- 39. I called and called,
but you didn't answer!
- 40. I've already got the samovar going,
- 41. And I put our seat out
to be comfortable while we count...
- 42. And then I thought
"he'll be here soon...
- 43. and we'll sit down and have tea
- 44. with raspberry jam—"
- 45. it is raspberry jam
you brought, isn't it?
- 46. And I've got the samovar going,
- 47. And put twigs on the fire...
those twigs... those..."
- 48. Juniper twigs?
- 49. Juniper twigs,
to make the smoke smell nice!
- 50. And... and...
- 51. who else but you
would count the stars properly?"
- 52. Bear talked and talked
and Hedgehog thought:
- 53. Still, it's wonderful that
we're together again.
- 54. And Hedgehog
- 55. also thought about the horse:
- 56. How is she, there... in the fog?
- 57. The End