- 1. - Here's that 410.
- Right, Moe. Thanks.
- 2. I've been pumping pussy
since Christ was a corporal.
- 3. I've gotta tell you, the best poontang
I ever paid for was in Da Nang.
- 4. The girls were checked out daily.
- 5. And we got laid in a safe, orderly,
proficient, military manner.
- 6. Until some suckhead
writes home to Mama...
- 7. and says he dipped his wick
in the Republic of—
- 8. Well, then the shit hits the fan.
- 9. A committee of congressmen,
who, asshole to asshole...
- 10. couldn't make a beer fart
in a whirlwind...
- 11. starts telling your basic ass-in-the-grass
Marine, "No more short time."
- 12. We respond in true
Marine Corps fashion.
- 13. We salute and do an about-face...
- 14. double-time back to
the boom-boom garbage dump...
- 15. where we proceed to get
the clap, the drip, the crabs...
- 16. and generally a poor attitude
towards the female of the species.
- 17. War is hell, boy. That's a fact.
- 18. I don't like soldier boys.
- 19. Say what?
- 20. You wanna pop that puppy's can, you
don't gotta grease him so hard, jarhead.
- 21. Sounds like you're a man
- 22. What the fuck's that mean, grunt-shit?
- 23. It means be advised
that I'm mean, nasty and tired.
- 24. I eat concertina wire
and piss napalm.
- 25. I can put a round through
a flea's ass at 200 meters.
- 26. So you go hump somebody else's leg,
mutt-face, before I push yours in.
- 27. Ain't gonna be so smart with your
balls stuffed in your mouth, jarhead.
- 28. Oh, shit.
- 29. Hang on to this, boy.
I think war's just been declared.
- 30. Why don't you just sit there and bleed
a while before you taste some real pain?
- 31. Maybe first I carve me
some faggot wings.
- 32. He'll kill him.
- 33. Then again, there was
this dusky gal in Bangkok.
- 34. A real crossway breezer, I swear.
- 35. Thank you for your testimony,
- 36. Sergeant Highway.
- 37. Drunk and disorderly.
- 38. Fighting in a public establishment.
- 39. Urinating on a police vehicle.
- 40. Well, it seemed like the thing to do, sir.
- 41. Just because there's no war going on...
- 42. doesn't give you the right to start one
every time you get drunk.
- 43. I'm taking into account
your excellent military record...
- 44. and your commitment
to the security of this great nation.
- 45. But this is your last chance.
- 46. One-hundred-dollar fine. Next.
- 47. Your nightstick file for divorce, Reese?
- 48. Who do you think you are,
pissing on my squad car?
- 49. Think you can break our rules
and just walk away?
- 50. We're supposed to wet our pants over
your dress blues and colored ribbons?
- 51. Read your file sometime, hero.
Check the dates.
- 52. It's ancient history. One night,
you'll be puking blood in an alley.
- 53. You'll look up, see me.
Then we'll see.
- 54. - Keep dreaming.
- You'll pay full price.
- 55. - I don't give a serviceman's discount.
- Too bad. Your old lady does.
- 56. Just about cleaned you out.
- 57. Makes you feel good, doesn't it,
helping Uncle Sam battle dirty drawers?
- 58. Just pump the dog again, Jake,
or are you always that slack-eyed?
- 59. Looks like you could use a lift.
- 60. Suck on this. Smooth as a prom
queen's thighs, only not so risky.
- 61. Havana cured.
Got a pal in Guantanamo in Supply.
- 62. We do each other favors. I got lots
of friends. I can always use another.
- 63. - So we can do each other favors?
- Yeah, sure.
- 64. If your pencil wasn't so sharp and your
eyesight not so clear around here...
- 65. I could make your lot in military life
a lot comfier...
- 66. not to mention downright rewarding.
- 67. You get that contraband stogy
out of my face...
- 68. before I shove it so far up your ass you'll
have to set fire to your nose to light it.
- 69. Gunny Highway. Major Devin
wants to see you ASAP:
- 70. - At ease. That will be all, sergeant major.
- Aye, aye, sir.
- 71. For chrissakes, Highway, relax.
- 72. Stop being so gung ho.
- 73. That's what I am, sir.
- 74. What do you got now, about 24,
- 75. And then some, sir.
- 76. Some men in your position
would look forward to retirement.
- 77. Maybe take the wives on
a round-the-world cruise.
- 78. But that's not your way, is it?
- 79. You choose to harangue my staff
with a request for transfer to a...
- 80. Fleet Marine Force unit.
- 81. The very unit you got busted out of
some time ago...
- 82. for insubordination.
- 83. That's true. I have had my differences
with some limp dicks.
- 84. Highway!
- 85. I truly don't know whether to admire you
or resent the living hell out of you.
- 86. Either way, it doesn't matter.
You're out of here immediately.
- 87. What did I do?
- 88. Second Recon Battalion.
- 89. Second Marine Division.
You're going home.
- 90. Aye, aye, sir.
- 91. Gunny Highway.
- 92. Sir?
- 93. Be careful what you wish for.
You might just get it.
- 94. Whoa! Hut!
- 95. We're gonna bring up the last victim.
A true-blood, born in Jersey.
- 96. He's the president of punk,
the earl of funk.
- 97. Here he is, the next king of rock 'n' roll,
ladies and gentlemen, Stitch Jones!
- 98. Stitch Jones?
- 99. Whoa, whoa.
- 100. Do I mess with y'all all when
you play "Romance the Sheep"?
- 101. Bag these geeks.
Keep America beautiful.
- 102. - Put a 10-gallon bag over their head.
- Let's take care of this.
- 103. You look like the twin towers
gone cellulite. Heh-heh-heh.
- 104. I can play country western.
Give me a chance.
- 105. I know Merle Haggard,
the Beverly Hillbillies.
- 106. Come on, man. I need the money!
- 107. - How far?
- About two stops.
- 108. Shit.
- 109. You the maid?
- 110. I want the seat, but the shit
ain't worth dying over.
- 111. Hell. You know.
- 112. Liz and Dick. Lennon and McCartney,
even. Ali and Frazier.
- 113. They worked it out. So can we.
- 114. Stitch Jones is the name.
Rocking and rapping is the game.
- 115. Pleased to meet you too.
- 116. Banged up my Corvette. But I figure
it's a chance to meet regular people...
- 117. dudes like yourself.
People like my fans.
- 118. I'm a singer. Stitch Jones.
Earl of funk. Duke of cool.
- 119. - Ayatollah of rock 'n' roll-ah.
- Shut your face, hippie.
- 120. You say "hippie," man?
- 121. Ain't been no hippies for centuries.
You been freeze-dried or doing time?
- 122. Whew.
- 123. One of those would sure go down nice.
- 124. I'd buy one from you, but I don't
have my plastic. Usually my lackeys—
- 125. You can have one, if it shuts
the hole under your nose.
- 126. Ah. Thank you, my friend.
- 127. Jones.
- 128. This doesn't mean you can
blow in my ear. Torn Highway.
- 129. Yo, man, these ain't your magazines.
- 130. Somebody must have left them there.
- 131. "The Sexual Politics of Living Alone."
- 132. "The Big Commitment and You." Ah.
- 133. "Island Erotics: How to Stay Tan,
Tickly, and Tantalized...
- 134. in the Cool Waters of Jamaica."
- 135. Not bad, man.
- 136. Ahh.
- 137. "Sunday Sex with a Wednesday Lover."
- 138. Yo, man, that sounds like a song.
Check it out.
- 139. I met her on a Wednesday
She was the best
- 140. Come Sunday morning
I needed rest
- 141. 'Cause she didn't shave,
She didn't use Neet
- 142. Tried to use my face
As a bicycle seat
- 143. Word! Am I fresh?
- 144. Ahh. Ugh.
- 145. This chick's got some angry titties.
- 146. - Put your shit in, you get frostbite.
- She isn't so bad.
- 147. You wanna talk, I'll listen,
but don't try to sell Stitch Jones...
- 148. on making love or making music,
because I'm an authority. Born to screw...
- 149. and bred to sing. That's me.
Now, I've gotta out some Z's.
- 150. So if you don't mind, keep down
the chatter while I get my beauty sleep.
- 151. Groupies are fun, but you need
vitamin E. They wear you out.
- 152. - Anything else, general?
- No, I'm fine.
- 153. What are all those medals?
- 154. I'll never tell. At least
not while the sun's shining.
- 155. This babe is wack.
- 156. She doesn't know what's
12 inches long and white.
- 157. Nothing!
- 158. Hey, man, no offense.
Just working on my routine.
- 159. I'll tell you what's black and bleeding
if it don't shut its face.
- 160. Mellow, man. It's gonna be a nice day.
- 161. - Tell the driver I'll be right out.
- I'm gonna use my plastic. My treat.
- 162. Well, thanks. I'll get the tip.
- 163. Oh, uh...
- 164. My buddy's gonna take care of that.
He said to tell you:
- 165. "There's no sun shining
in the men's john."
- 166. I'm here, baby,
let's do some distance.
- 167. Son of a bitch.
- 168. Hey, crotch rot.
- 169. Gonna slurp my lifer's juice
out of my own cup?
- 170. Yeah, I guess I should have
gotten shots beforehand.
- 171. If your brain was as quick as your
mouth, you'd be a 20-star general.
- 172. If I was half as ugly as you,
I'd be a poster boy for a prophylactic.
- 173. Still a mean and nasty bastard.
- 174. Good to see you, Torn.
Back where you belong!
- 175. Take it easy. Everybody's
gonna think I'm spoken for.
- 176. Ten-hut.
- 177. Morning, sir.
- 178. Sergeant major.
- 179. Coffee, sir?
- 180. Negative.
- 181. Gunnery Sergeant Thomas Highway
reporting for duty, sir.
- 182. That operation officer's farthole is
sewed so tight he shits out of his mouth.
- 183. Academy?
- 184. Big-time football hero.
- 185. - When am I ever gonna get a break?
- 186. - Sergeant major.
- 187. Bring in Gunnery Sergeant Highway.
- 188. Been in a long time.
- 189. I've felt a little heat, sir.
- 190. Korean. Dominican in '65.
Three tours in Nam.
- 191. Hell, he's carrying so much shrapnel,
he can't pass through a metal detector.
- 192. I haven't as yet
had the privilege of combat.
- 193. I came over from Supply and Logistics.
- 194. An unappreciated field of endeavor, sir.
- 195. Quite.
- 196. My record of achievement
thus far has been exemplary...
- 197. and I fully intend for that to continue.
- 198. Sir.
- 199. I want this battalion
to be the class of the division.
- 200. I expect my non-commissioned officers
to lead by example.
- 201. Public fighting and insubordination to
civilian authority are not good standards.
- 202. - It was a minor altercation, sir.
- You make a habit of doing that.
- 203. A year ago you hit an officer.
I went to Annapolis with that man.
- 204. You try that with me and you'll drag your
butt in a sling for a month. You hear me?
- 205. Yes, sir.
- 206. I don't know what strings you pulled to get
back in this division, but I don't like it.
- 207. This is the new Marine Corps.
- 208. A new breed.
- 209. Characters like you are an anachronism.
- 210. You should be sealed in a case that reads,
"Break glass only in the event of war."
- 211. No tolerance for old-timers who think...
- 212. you know better and can
have it your way. Understand?
- 213. I understand a lot of body bags
get filled if I don't do my job, sir.
- 214. Major.
- 215. Division has assigned Highway
to our reconnaissance platoon.
- 216. Yes, recon.
- 217. My last sergeant was
an old-time combat vet too.
- 218. But he went R.O.A.D. on me.
- 219. Retired On Active Duty.
- 220. Had a few months to retirement,
figured he'd coast.
- 221. Allowed the men lapse into mediocrity.
- 222. You're close to mandatory retirement
yourself, aren't you?
- 223. That's right, major.
- 224. Well, I ask for Marines...
- 225. the division sends me relics.
- 226. The men in Recon Platoon are less than
highly motivated, to say the least.
- 227. And I want those men in shape.
- 228. I'll make life-takers and
heartbreakers out of them, sir.
- 229. Dismissed.
- 230. Is he always like that or
just trying to make a good impression?
- 231. He consults his manual
before he mounts his old lady...
- 232. to ensure he performs in an orderly—
- 233. Proficient military manner.
- 234. Chow with Helen and me tonight.
- 235. Later, we go stomp some brain cells
and tell some story.
- 236. - I'd like to, but I better get organized.
- Sure, I understand.
- 237. Oh. Excuse me, sir.
- 238. I mean, gunny. Sergeant major.
- 239. This is Gunnery Sergeant Highway.
He's been assigned to Recon Platoon.
- 240. Oh. Outstanding, welcome aboard.
Well, I gotta hightail it.
- 241. I'm late for pre-scuba school.
- 242. Lord.
- 243. His mama know he's playing Marine?
- 244. By the way, he's Lieutenant Ring,
your platoon leader.
- 245. Thanks a lot.
- 246. You didn't think you was just gonna tilt
nipple to a bunch of no-rank fuzzbutts?
- 247. - Want me to intro you to your troops?
- No, no, that's all right.
- 248. - Take my pickup.
- Hey, thanks. Where is it?
- 249. Just tell by the sign.
It says: "Sergeant major."
- 250. Is this Recon Platoon?
- 251. No speak English.
- 252. You'?
- 253. My name is Gunnery Sergeant Highway.
- 254. I've drunk more beer, pissed more blood,
banged more quiff, busted more...
- 255. than all you numb-nuts put together.
- 256. - Major Powers has put me in charge.
- We take care of ourselves.
- 257. You couldn't take care of a wet dream.
- 258. - God loves you.
- I know that.
- 259. You men do not impress me!
- 260. Recon Platoon kicks butt.
- 261. - Ow.
- If you ladies think you can slip and slide...
- 262. because your last sergeant was a pussy...
- 263. who was just marking the days,
well, queer bait...
- 264. - ... start acting like Marines right now.
- Who invited you?
- 265. I'm not doing this because I wanna
take long showers with you assholes.
- 266. And I don't wanna get my head
shot off in some faraway land...
- 267. because you don't habla.
- 268. Oorah!
- 269. 'YOu?
- 270. I think you're fine
- 271. And you got that big behind
- 272. Well, well, well, well.
- 273. I'm here to tell you all
that life as you know it has ended.
- 274. You might as well all go to town tonight.
Laugh and make fools of yourself.
- 275. Rub your pathetic little peckers up against
your honey, or stick it in a knothole.
- 276. Whatever it is, get rid of it,
because at 0600 tomorrow...
- 277. your ass is mine.
- 278. Where's your bunk?
- 279. Yo, man. Come on!
- 280. What the hell's going on?
- 281. Aah! Aah!
- 282. This is gonna mess up your karma, man.
It's gonna haunt you in your next life.
- 283. - Let's have it.
- 284. - The money from my ticket.
- No need to use violence, man.
- 285. I'm a peace lover. I was down
with the money on my luck.
- 286. Yeah. I got a little money right here.
- 287. - That's all I got.
- And the meal?
- 288. - Meal?
- Yeah, the meal.
- 289. All right.
- 290. - That's really all I got.
- And the tip.
- 291. - That's really it, man. Aah!
- You owe me.
- 292. Now, it's my will against yours.
And you will lose.
- 293. So 0600 tomorrow.
- 294. That's 6:00 in the morning for
all you people who don't habla.
- 295. Damn! He just tore off my ear.
- 296. Lucky he had a chance to escape
before I kick his ass.
- 297. Big leatherneck,
- 298. - Something's gonna have to be done.
- What are we gonna do?
- 299. - Wait till the Swede gets out of the brig.
- That's it. The Swede, man.
- 300. - He'll rip his head off and dump in it!
- Then eat it.
- 301. - I would've done that.
- Goodbye, Highway!
- 302. Swede! Swede! Swede!
- 303. Hey, baby.
- 304. I called his wife—
- 305. You fool around on the first date?
- 306. Ohm.
- 307. Damn you, boy.
Don't you know how to write or call?
- 308. I didn't wanna cause you
any sleepless nights, thinking about me.
- 309. - I'll get you a beer.
- Great. I could use one.
- 310. That's for sure.
- 311. You look great.
- 312. They don't make them
like you anymore, sweetheart.
- 313. Oh, hell. Sure they do.
- 314. But if you want a lot from a woman,
you have to give a lot.
- 315. Not this kid. It seemed marriage and
the Marine Corps weren't too compatible.
- 316. Panther piss. The best years
of my life were with a Marine.
- 317. If I was a little younger, I'd make you
eat your words and curl your toes.
- 318. Yeah, I'll bet you could.
- 319. Aggie always kept a smile
on your face.
- 320. That was pain.
- 321. Tom, she's in town.
- 322. Hmm. Well, I figured as much.
- 323. If she's looking for more alimony,
I'm so broke I couldn't get out of sight...
- 324. if it took a quarter
to go around the world.
- 325. She's cocktailing over at the Palace.
- 326. I figured she'd be married
to a general by now.
- 327. Uh...
- 328. Can I get my old room back?
- 329. - Hell, yes. Are you gonna see her?
- Hell, no. Can I run a tab?
- 330. Hell, no.
- 331. Tough woman.
- 332. And now, back from an awesomely
- 333. the earl of funk,
the duke of cool...
- 334. the ayatollah of rock 'n' roll-ah:
- 335. Stitch Jones!
- 336. Stop telling me what to do
- 337. And that goes for your mama too
- 338. Ask me and I'll tell the truth
- 339. You need to call up Dr. Ruth
- 340. Girl, you know I love you
But I ain't stupid
- 341. Said you know I love you
But I ain't stupid
- 342. Don't be illin'
- 343. I'm just chillin'
No need to make a killin'
- 344. A kiss is just as thrillin'
And I'm still willin'
- 345. So forget all about it
Baby, we can do without it
- 346. Yo, if you shout about it
Believe it, don't doubt it
- 347. Your daddy works at IBM, baby
- 348. So good for you
Good for them
- 349. Baby
Your brother says he's being nice
- 350. I don't need his free advice
- 351. Girl, you know I love you—
- 352. Okay, what will it—?
- 353. Aggie.
- 354. - What do you want?
- A beer.
- 355. - What are you doing here?
- 356. Shake it, don't break it
No need for you to fake it
- 357. I know we can make it
- 358. Girl, you know I'll turn you out
- 359. Make me scream
I need to shout
- 360. Kiss me
And you make my day
- 361. I love it when you talk that way
- 362. You even remembered the brand.
- 363. Bad whiskey, bad sex and bad men,
I never forget.
- 364. You didn't talk dirty like that
when we were married.
- 365. Heh. Always. Only you were never there
to hear it.
- 366. - Look, Tom, I'm working.
- 367. You look great.
- 368. - The lights are low.
- No, I mean it.
- 369. - I'd recognize you coming and going.
- Save the banter for your bimbos.
- 370. It's late, I'm tired, my feet hurt.
What are you doing here?
- 371. I'm back with recon.
- 372. And you just happened to wander
into the joint? Ain't life grand?
- 373. - I didn't come here to fight.
- You mean old dogs do learn new tricks?
- 374. I just come here for a beer,
and you're ragging my ass already.
- 375. Aggie, is there a problem here?
- 376. No, as a matter of fact, I'd like you
to meet one of my favorite exes.
- 377. This is Thomas Highway. This is
Roy Jennings, he owns the Palace now.
- 378. Heard all about you.
And your bullshit heroics.
- 379. Uh— Uh— Tom is just gonna leave. Heh.
- 380. Aggie, I'll take you home
after we close up...
- 381. as usual.
- 382. You sure can pick them, I'll tell you.
- 383. Hah. Look who's talking.
- 384. Ah, you know I love you
- 385. Oh, please
And I ain't crazy neither, hah!
- 386. All right.
- 387. I'm gonna play something from N.Y.C.
I want all of you to rock the house!
- 388. Why don't you get your hair cut, huh?
- 389. You're so ugly, you need to be out
at the airport sniffing luggage.
- 390. - You think you're funny?
- Tell you what:
- 391. Y'all, cross your legs,
hold your noses and fart.
- 392. - You could clear out your minds.
- Say what?
- 393. Yo, yo, yo! Tell you what.
- 394. Don't start no S-H,
won't be no I-T. We got ladies here.
- 395. Point yourselves this way, have a drink
with the nation's finest.
- 396. - All right.
- Chill out.
- 397. Hoo! Hoo!
- 398. Knock it off! I said knock it off,
- 399. Sit down, buddy!
- 400. - Why don't you lay off them?
- Why don't you stay out of this?
- 401. - It's none of your business.
- What are you, some kind of smart-mouth?
- 402. - I'm just trying to sing here.
- You get off on rousting Marines?
- 403. Leave it alone.
It doesn't concern you.
- 404. - I chew on jarheads and spit them out.
- You do?
- 405. Why don't I bend you over that table
then, and nail you in the keister?
- 406. - What are you talking about?
- That's what your persuasion is.
- 407. I'll send you home with an "I just pumped
the neighbor's cat" look on your face.
- 408. - What kind of faggot talk is that?
- You have no right to do this.
- 409. Roy, man.
He's just pulling your leg, man.
- 410. They don't mean nothing. Who'd have
the bad sense to fuck with Roy Jennings?
- 411. I mean, welcome to fantasy disco, huh?
- 412. The hell with both of you.
- 413. And you're out, Jones. Hit the road.
- 414. And you watch it, funny man.
- 415. Get your tight little butt out of here.
- 416. - I never want to see you in this place again.
- I left my beer.
- 417. - I have got a future here, damn it!
- 418. No, with Roy.
- 419. Maybe I expect better
out of an ex-wife of mine.
- 420. He's an improvement over you!
- 421. I don't believe this shit, man!
- 422. I'd have kicked Roy's ass
if I wasn't protecting you.
- 423. Redneck people love me.
So you owe me one. I saved your life.
- 424. This doesn't mean we're gonna be
swapping spit in the shower.
- 425. Fuck this jarhead sucker.
- 426. Drop your cocks and grab your socks.
- 427. Off your ass and on your feet.
- 428. Knees to the breeze in five minutes.
- 429. - It's goddamn 5:00. You said 6:00.
- So I can't tell time. So I lied.
- 430. Maybe some communist's gonna make an
appointment to pop you a new asshole.
- 431. Let's go! Move out! You're Marines
now. You improvise. You adapt.
- 432. Four minutes. Fall out.
- 433. Shit.
- 434. We move swift. We move
silent. We move deadly.
- 435. Only one shake of those wangs.
Any more than that constitutes pleasure.
- 436. - Sleep well?
- Man, this is a nightmare!
- 437. Wake me up, Mama!
- 438. - Gunny, platoon's formed for PT.
- Take your post.
- 439. The Marines are looking
for a few good men.
- 440. Unfortunately you ain't it.
- 441. We will blaze a path into battle
for others to follow.
- 442. Surrender is not in our creed.
Let's hear you say that.
- 443. Surrender is not in our creed.
- 444. Louder, or next time you get R and R,
you'll be collecting pensions.
- 445. - Surrender is not in our creed.
- 446. Surrender is not in our creed!
- 447. Oorah.
- 448. - Strip off those T-shirts.
- 449. What's he talking about?
- 450. You'll all wear the same T-shirts
or none at all.
- 451. - Shit . . ..
- He's crazy.
- 452. - What's your name, Marine?
- Lance Corporal Fragetti, gunny.
- 453. You shouldn't litter, Fag-etti.
It's ecologically unsound.
- 454. What's your name?
- 455. - Aponte.
- 456. - Profile.
- 457. - Quinones.
- 458. Collins.
- 459. All right, Colitis, Cojones...
- 460. Prophylactic, Ajax.
- 461. You boys are handsome.
- 462. You ladies look like models.
- 463. I want your hair high and tight
tomorrow morning. Everybody.
- 464. When you start looking like Marines,
you'll feel like Marines...
- 465. and pretty soon you'll act like
Marines. Right face! Forward march!
- 466. Left, your left, your left,
- 467. Left, right, left, right, left...
- 468. When my boy Swede gets out of the brig,
this sucker's dead.
- 469. - You got that right, bro!
- Right on!
- 470. Ooh-oh-oh-oh!
- 471. Ooh-oh-oh-oh!
- 472. - Whoa-ho-ho.
- Turn right!
- 473. Mama, Mama, can't you see
- 474. What the Marine Corps has done to me
- 475. What the Marine Corps has done to me
- 476. Used to drive a Chevrolet
- 477. Used to drive a Chevrolet
- 478. Now I'm marching every day
- 479. Cojones, give us a cadence.
- 480. Your girlfriend's gonna weep
when I bite that finger off.
- 481. - Give me a cadence now!
- I don't remember any.
- 482. Think fast or I'll run your ass
- 483. Do it, man! This dude is certifiable.
- 484. Model A Ford and a tank full of gas
- 485. Model A Ford and a tank full of gas
- 486. Handful of pussy and a mouthful of ass
- 487. Handful of pussy and a mouthful of ass
- 488. Yo, man, what's this sucker, lost?
- 489. What's he gonna invade, South Carolina?
- 490. All right, men, let's smoke
this sucker's ass. Come on!
- 491. Asshole.
- 492. What did they put in his Geritol?
- 493. Lieutenant.
- 494. Oh. Gunny. Good morning.
Missed you and Recon Platoon at PT.
- 495. - The men and I were getting acquainted.
- 496. I want to freelance them for a while.
To evaluate them.
- 497. There's nothing on the schedule.
You want me to join you?
- 498. You have important work here.
- 499. I am preparing a paper on tactics
and strategy for the War Club seminar.
- 500. Oh, it's fascinating stuff. Ow.
- 501. I don't know if the major told you...
- 502. but I was commanding officer
of my ROTC detachment in college.
- 503. I'll sleep better at night
- 504. Thank you.
What college did you go to?
- 505. Heartbreak Ridge.
- 506. Heartbreak Ridge?
I've never heard of that school.
- 507. Shit!
- 508. Oh, yeah, that looks nice. Real nice.
- 509. Oh, yeah.
- 510. Slick.
- 511. Smells like a Ben Gay
factory around here.
- 512. Strip off those T-shirts.
- 513. - We're all the same.
- Same as me?
- 514. - How are we supposed to know—?
- You improvise, overcome, adapt.
- 515. Now, get off those goddamned
- 516. Platoon, right face.
- 517. Forward march!
- 518. You'd get away with that with Tyler.
But this cat, he's nuts. He'll catch you.
- 519. Don't worry yourself.
- 520. Hey, man, the few, the proud,
- 521. - Oh, no!
- Man, we can't win for losing.
- 522. He must have the key to the PX.
- 523. Anybody else got a better idea?
- 524. Where's Aponte?
- 525. He's sick, man. He looked like
living proof of life after death.
- 526. Went to get checked out.
- 527. - That's right, gunny.
- 528. I want the barracks field-dayed
and squared away ASAP today.
- 529. We cleaned them just a while ago.
- 530. Yeah, gunny, you know, it's Saturday.
- 531. Well, let's have a show of hands.
- 532. How many people think the squad bay
is ready to go as is'?
- 533. - Yeah!
- There you have it. Democracy in action.
- 534. - All right.
- We'll run instead. Attention!
- 535. Right face!
- 536. Forward march!
- 537. Double time!
- 538. What the hell's going on, man?
- 539. This is the AK-47.
The preferred weapon of your enemy.
- 540. And it makes a distinctive sound
when fired. So remember it.
- 541. Let's move out.
- 542. Oh, man, that's bullshit, man.
- 543. He's shooting at us. What the fuck?
I don't need this, man.
- 544. That's wrong, man.
- 545. Yo, you all, check the way he's always
squinting his eyes.
- 546. Trying to talk all tough.
- 547. I should slap him myself
just to call his bluff.
- 548. Don't do that, man
He's just a jarhead fool
- 549. You're right.
But hold me back
- 550. In case I lose my cool
Because we're the Recon Platoon
- 551. We always gung ho
- 552. Gung ho to party
- 553. - Or watch The Late Show
- Till Highway came along
- 554. His abuse we don't need
But we'll end this bullshit
- 555. When Highway meets the Swede
- 556. - He gonna kick his ass.
- 557. - Highway, I heard you were back.
- 558. These retards couldn't fight their way
out of a shithouse.
- 559. Is that where you've been?
- 560. Me and Major Powers are building
an elite company of fighting men.
- 561. The only thing you could build
is a good case of hemorrhoids.
- 562. - What?
- You're blowing all your ammunition.
- 563. Mr. "I hate Americans" will make you
into Swiss cheese.
- 564. - Slow down your fire.
- It's not my fucking fault.
- 565. The fucking weapon
is fucking fucked up.
- 566. Nothing wrong with that rifle.
Keep it tight.
- 567. Did you wake up
with a piss-pot on your head?
- 568. - No, gunny, I wore this in your honor.
- Is that so?
- 569. This is a classic piece of issue.
- 570. You know, sands of lwo Jima, Khe Sanh.
All that old antique stuff.
- 571. A nice tribute to an aging veteran
as close to retirement as yourself.
- 572. I'm touched.
- 573. You know, a recon way of saying
welcome and, inevitably, goodbye.
- 574. And the Kevlar helmet you were issued?
- 575. That didn't by chance find its way
into a pawnshop in town, did it?
- 576. No way. That's a serious implication.
- 577. - We're responsible for these.
- That's right, you are.
- 578. So I want Kevlar on your head by 1900
or you won't have a head to wear it on.
- 579. Yes, sir, Gunny Highway,
- 580. Gunny, my weapon's jammed.
- 581. - What the—?
- Oh, shit!
- 582. Asshole.
- 583. - What the—?
- You all right?
- 584. Major Powers is gonna teach you
how to discipline your men.
- 585. If Powers ever comes to a sudden halt,
your face is gonna go halfway up his ass.
- 586. Profile won't make it back
to the barracks.
- 587. Powers is cold-blooded, man.
- 588. Left...
- 589. right...
- 590. left.
- 591. Come on, Profile.
- 592. Don't give the prick the satisfaction.
You can make it.
- 593. Recon!
- 594. What did you say, gunner sergeant?
- 595. I said, "Don't give the prick
the satisfaction," sir.
- 596. "Sensitive dialogue during
communication of the relationship—"
- 597. - Follow you home?
- Sure, why not?
- 598. Come on, guys.
Somebody see what shirt he's wearing.
- 599. It don't matter, he'll find something
to complain about anyway.
- 600. Life was a hell of a lot easier
before Frankenstein paid a visit.
- 601. How am I gonna play American Bandstand?
- 602. This macho shit is bad for my hands.
- 603. People, fall out.
- 604. I said fall out. Now!
- 605. We ain't going no place.
- 606. - All this play-war stuff is bullshit!
- 607. Gunny, this is all a question
of mind over matter.
- 608. We no longer mind
because you don't matter.
- 609. You've been voted out of office, baby.
- 610. Mr. Jones...
- 611. you fall out on that street or
I'm gonna kick your ass off this planet.
- 612. Oh, I don't think so, babe. Swede?
- 613. Swede, Swede, Swede...
- 614. Ah. Gunny, I'd like you to meet
my big friend, Swede Johanson.
- 615. Swede, say something charming
to the man.
- 616. I'm gonna rip your head off
and shit down your neck.
- 617. See, Grungy Highway, we ain't got
no use for you no more.
- 618. Hit the road, Jack.
- 619. And don't you come back
- 620. No more, no more, no more
- 621. No more, no more, no more
- 622. Stick your chin up, man.
- 623. Higher.
- 624. Christ.
- 625. Now, get your ass out on that street,
ladies, right this second!
- 626. I'll check you later, Swede. Yeah.
- 627. Sir, I'll wait outside for the MPs to come.
- 628. Negative, Johanson. You're gonna
become a Marine right now.
- 629. - Fall out.
- Yes, sir.
- 630. Good morning, men.
- 631. I thought I'd lead you
through this exercise.
- 632. Couldn't find Gunny Highway, though.
- 633. I don't know where he went.
- 634. Good Lord, what was that?
- 635. - Sir, that's an AK-47 assault weapon.
- The preferred weapon of our enemy.
- 636. It makes a very distinctive sound
when fired at us, sir.
- 637. Yes, it does, doesn't it?
- 638. - Good night, Aggie.
- Good night, Roy.
- 639. Hold up. I'll follow you home.
- 640. No, you go ahead. I've got some pains.
- 641. - Oh, I got it.
- Not tonight you don't.
- 642. "Sensual communication,
- 643. Panther piss.
- 644. Glad to know some things don't change.
You still know what a woman loves to hear.
- 645. Oh, I just happened to be
in the neighborhood.
- 646. I thought maybe you'd like to
sit down and talk.
- 647. Are you reading those magazines?
- 648. - What magazines?
- Those magazines.
- 649. Oh. Oh, those. No, I—
Somebody must have left them here.
- 650. - Who?
- 651. - He don't even know how to read.
- Quit being so stubborn.
- 652. Why don't you sit down
so we can talk?
- 653. I am not one of your troops
that can be bullied.
- 654. Jesus. Was being married
to me that bad?
- 655. Yes.
- 656. Platoon, ten-hut!
- 657. Thank you, gunny. What a fine morning
for a military exercise.
- 658. Today we will execute an ambush against
a numerically superior hostile force...
- 659. by using cover, surprise,
interlocking fields of fire...
- 660. and the natural aggressiveness
of a U.S. Marine.
- 661. Show me some poontang,
I'll show you an aggressive Marine.
- 662. We will provide Powers
and his elite fighting force...
- 663. an accessible target
to sharpen their superior skills.
- 664. This will be facilitated by
the MILES gear each team wears.
- 665. As you know,
when one of our men is shot...
- 666. these laser-sensitive vests
emit a beeping noise.
- 667. Excuse me, lieutenant, but are you
hinting that we don't fight back?
- 668. Yes, gunny. The major likes to use
the Recon Platoon as a training tool.
- 669. What happens when these men go
into combat, and they're not prepared?
- 670. They just get dead.
- 671. Well, yes, I see what you mean.
- 672. Have you talked this over
with Major Powers?
- 673. - Let's move them out, gunny.
- Are you coming with us, lieutenant?
- 674. No, gunny, I have a doctor's
appointment at 1100.
- 675. I hope it's nothing that will keep you
out of the next war.
- 676. Platoon, right face.
- 677. Sling arms.
- 678. Forward march.
- 679. - You sure Highway can run the ambush?
- He's the best with small unit tactics.
- 680. I doubt that.
- 681. Marines, today we're gonna
kick some recon ass.
- 682. Platoon, ten-hut!
- 683. Right face. Forward march! Hut.
- 684. Man, when I joined the Corps, I thought
I was gonna be jumping out of planes...
- 685. - ... and fighting the enemy.
- This is the new, modern Marines.
- 686. - We just jump out of our heads.
- Only enemy we fight is boredom.
- 687. You hear that voice? It's calling me.
- 688. Stitch Jones is gonna be a rock 'n' roll star.
- 689. Don't forget your bros
when you make it.
- 690. Front row, center seat,
and all the girls I can't eat.
- 691. - Oh, I love leftovers.
- Mm-hm. Word.
- 692. - Unsling those rifles.
- What for? We're not supposed to win.
- 693. He watches too much prime time.
- 694. What was that?
- 695. You're dead, Marine.
You tripped on four booby traps.
- 696. Now we have to send out
a search party for your testicles.
- 697. Now, where the hell's your backup?
- 698. Profile.
- 699. What good are you back there?
Without cover, I get my ass blown off.
- 700. While you pump the neighbor's dog, we get
every swinging dick in this platoon killed.
- 701. That's what we're here for.
- 702. - What?
- We're here for that.
- 703. We've ambushed Powers three times,
always here. We know what we're doing.
- 704. Shit-for-brains, who says we're gonna
ambush Major Powers right here?
- 705. Didn't you hear Lt. Ring?
- 706. Major Powers wants us to die
in a loud, grotesque, military manner.
- 707. I don't give a fuck about Major Powers.
- 708. My job is to keep you men alive.
Now, let's move on.
- 709. We'll be coming to the ambush site
over the next hill.
- 710. Roger that.
- 711. It sure does help, knowing when
and where you're gonna be hit.
- 712. Easy. Give them a few more yards,
then we'll nail the coffin shut.
- 713. Chill out, here they come, man.
- 714. Hit them now!
- 715. Now.
- 716. Cease fire!
- 717. You're in the wrong ambush site!
- 718. Cease fire!
- 719. They're in the wrong ambush site!
- 720. Go, recon! Recon!
- 721. - Too bad, suckers!
- Sergeant major!
- 722. - What?
- Turn this damn thing off.
- 723. Makes a hell of a racket,
doesn't it, sir?
- 724. This man's usurped authority,
- 725. and ignored my personal directives
for over a week. Why, lieutenant?
- 726. - I thought the training—
- You're supposed to be an officer.
- 727. Look up that word in your
platoon leader's handbook.
- 728. Who gave you permission
to deviate from the training schedule?
- 729. I needed to evaluate my men, sir.
- 730. They're not your men, you arrogant son of
a bitch. They're the U.S. Marine Corps' men.
- 731. The 2nd Division's men.
The 8th Marines Regiment's.
- 732. In other words, they're my men,
and so are you. Get it'?
- 733. The only thing I get is my ass shot off if
I have a platoon that doesn't know the job.
- 734. You'll follow my program,
no questions asked.
- 735. We go into combat tomorrow,
you'll plant half those men.
- 736. You did it on your own, didn't you?
- 737. I can't fix it if I don't know
- 738. Well, you make it easy.
- 739. Sir.
- 740. I gave the gunny permission
to freelance his— I mean...
- 741. the men, sir.
- 742. - Wait outside, Ring.
- Aye, aye, sir.
- 743. I'm gonna run you out of
the Corps, Highway.
- 744. And you know what's funny?
You're gonna do all the work.
- 745. Sooner or later, you'll disobey orders,
circumvent procedures again...
- 746. or just get drunk.
- 747. You can't help it.
You're too old, too stupid...
- 748. too prideful to change.
- 749. I'm gonna enjoy watching you fall.
- 750. Now, get out,
and send in that idiot, Ring.
- 751. He wants to see you, lieutenant.
- 752. - Sorry.
- No need to be.
- 753. Lieutenant?
- 754. Recon.
- 755. You'll let anybody in here, won't you?
- 756. Have one on the house
to ease your pain.
- 757. You wanna get drunk?
- 758. Howl at the moon?
- 759. Get us both busted back to low-ass,
no-rank, mud-rolling PFC?
- 760. I'm your man.
- 761. What are we, Chooz?
- 762. We're short-haired bastards with meat
cleavers for pricks and kerosene for blood.
- 763. Yeah. We're all of that,
that's for sure.
- 764. We're 0-1-1.
- 765. Say again?
- 766. Major Powers, one dark,
cloudy morning, said to me:
- 767. "Sergeant major, you're 0-1-1.
- 768. No wins.
- 769. One tie, Korea.
- 770. And one loss, Vietnam."
- 771. I mean, we lost the war,
but we won the battles.
- 772. I'm not gonna lose the next one
because my men aren't ready.
- 773. What are you gonna do?
- 774. Make them Marines.
- 775. Stoney Jackson.
- 776. Best goddamn platoon sergeant...
- 777. two mewling, short-pricked, piss-ant
little fuckers ever went to war with.
- 778. - Yep. Heartbreak Ridge.
- Heartbreak Ridge.
- 779. Your C.O. called.
- 780. Your battalion just went on full alert.
- 781. God bless.
- 782. - I can't find my tent.
- Where's my poncho liner?
- 783. - Goddamn it! Who's got my web gear?
- Profile, that's my canteen.
- 784. Aponte better get his cartoon face
- 785. He's gonna do time for being AWOL.
- 786. People, let's have an equipment check.
- 787. Weapon?
- 788. Keep it simple. You've got your boots on.
You're gonna walk into combat. Let's go.
- 789. - Bullshit.
- Where's Aponte?
- 790. He's sick. Must be the beef.
I ain't feeling too good myself.
- 791. - You've eaten worse.
- Only when I'm shit-faced and silly.
- 792. Let's get 90mg-
- 793. These DD 13-48 request forms
are not filled out properly.
- 794. We're going to approach this
in an orderly, proficient manner.
- 795. Yes, sir.
- 796. I want you to be sure each round of ammo
is counted and returned...
- 797. in the same way it was received.
- 798. - I'll dot the I's and cross the T's.
- Sloppiness breeds inefficiency.
- 799. Your outfit could use some cleaning up,
- 800. Sir, I want to issue my squad leader
some night vision glasses.
- 801. - I should've thought of that.
- It's not part of your T.O. & E.
- 802. I thought it—
- 803. Fill out the proper request forms
and send it through the chain of command.
- 804. Request forms?
- 805. Ten-hut.
- 806. At ease, men.
- 807. Major Malcolm Powers, sir.
Annapolis, class of '71.
- 808. How are your men doing, major?
- 809. My men are ready to fight to the death
to protect our country, sir.
- 810. Well, let's hope
that won't be necessary.
- 811. Have we ever served together?
- 812. I don't know, sir.
Sergeant Major Choozoo and I...
- 813. were in the 2nd Battalion
of the 7th in '68.
- 814. I had a rifle company
in the 1st Battalion.
- 815. We sure as hell chewed
some of the same dirt, sir.
- 816. That's for sure.
What's your assessment of this alert?
- 817. It's a clusterfuck.
- 818. Say again?
- 819. Marines are fighting men.
They shouldn't be sitting around...
- 820. filling out request forms for equipment
they should already have.
- 821. Interesting observation, gunny.
- 822. Carry on, major.
- 823. Now hear this. Now hear this.
- 824. This is it. We're going to war.
- 825. This has been an emergency
deployment readiness exercise.
- 826. We are standing down.
- 827. The alert is canceled.
- 828. Damn it.
- 829. - Maybe next time, sir.
- Gather your gear.
- 830. You heard him. We're moving out!
- 831. Hey!
- 832. Aponte.
- 833. - Oh, him.
- Where is he?
- 834. What's wrong with you?
- 835. Nobody goes over the hill on me.
- 836. If you didn't have those fucking stripes on,
I'd kick your fucking ass!
- 837. Since I'm not into violence,
I'll refrain from kicking your ass.
- 838. I'm gonna give you
a rebate on your life.
- 839. Besides, who the hell is Aponte?
- 840. He ain't heavy
and he ain't my brother.
- 841. - Gunny Highway.
- That's right. Gunny Highway.
- 842. Come on in.
- 843. - Sorry, Aponte, I had to tell him.
- Don't worry. This is my wife.
- 844. Clean that up.
- 845. Look, gunny, I filled out
all the forms there are.
- 846. But what the Corps gives you
isn't enough for the family.
- 847. - So I took a job.
- You got a job?
- 848. Yeah.
- 849. - Did you want out of the Marine Corps?
- No. No way.
- 850. Then I guess we'll have to
cut through all the red tape B.S.
- 851. - Yeah, we are.
- Knock it off, will you?
- 852. Here. Here's a special fund.
Gunnery sergeants only.
- 853. Don't worry. You can pay it back.
- 854. - Here, you better take him. Jesus Christ.
- Thank you.
- 855. - What are you smiling at, shit bird?
- I knew you were Santa Claus.
- 856. You ever pull another play like that,
the only thing that'll beat you to the brig...
- 857. is the headlights
of the ambulance you're on.
- 858. Yes, sir, Gunnery Sergeant Highway, sir!
- 859. Hey, yo, you can't leave the duke of cool!
- 860. This man has no social graces.
- 861. So...
- 862. Lureen down at the Palace
said you had the night off.
- 863. Lureen talks too much.
- 864. Can I buy you a beer?
- 865. Jesus.
- 866. You come stomping back
into my life after all this time...
- 867. with no warning whatsoever.
- 868. Interfere with me at my place of work,
damn near start a brawl.
- 869. Almost lost me the only
crummy job I could find.
- 870. Then you show up here,
expecting me to...
- 871. just smooth as silk, invite you in
for a sit-down and a smile.
- 872. It's always the same, Highway.
All balls, no brains.
- 873. - Is there something you're afraid of?
- 874. I'm afraid I'll dent that thick skull
of yours with this frying pan here.
- 875. It wouldn't be the first time for that,
now would it?
- 876. No.
- 877. Nice place you have here.
- 878. Thanks. You want a glass?
- 879. Uh-uh.
- 880. Feet still bothersome?
- 881. Well, I hawk booze
five nights a week, you know?
- 882. There ain't no senior prom
looming on my horizon.
- 883. - To the old times.
- 884. Just as long as you don't say
- 885. We had our share of those too,
- 886. I don't know. I can't think that far back.
- 887. How you feeling, babe?
- 888. Terrific. Absolutely couldn't feel better.
- 889. So...
- 890. what brings you here?
- 891. I'm back with recon, back where I belong.
- 892. So?
- 893. It's different this time.
- 894. How?
- 895. I'm coming to the end of it.
- 896. I don't know where I go from here.
I just want it to end...
- 897. as right as it was when I started.
- 898. You want some chips?
- 899. There's pretzels.
- 900. Yeah, thanks.
- 901. Fringe benefits of work.
- 902. Tell me something.
- 903. Did we mutually nurture each other?
- 904. I beg your pardon?
- 905. Did we communicate in a meaningful
way in our relationship?
- 906. Relationship?
- 907. Mm-hm.
- 908. Hell, I thought we were married.
- 909. Well, I've been thinking
about the past lately...
- 910. and I was just wondering
what went wrong.
- 911. With What?
- 912. With me...
- 913. the Corps, with us.
- 914. That is so damn much like you.
- 915. You never could see that everything just
doesn't fit so neatly into right and wrong.
- 916. What else is there?
- 917. It isn't that simple.
- 918. I went by those rooms we rented
when we were first married.
- 919. Damn, they're small.
- 920. Yeah, well, they say everything
shrinks with age.
- 921. Tell me something.
- 922. What did you want out of our marriage?
- 923. Well, we talked once
about an avocado ranch...
- 924. about buying a house
with a barbecue in the back.
- 925. But then you would volunteer for every
goddamn war that came down the pike.
- 926. Oh. Goddamn it!
- 927. - What's the matter?
- How could I be so stupid?
- 928. - What the hell are you talking about?
- You bastard.
- 929. - You changed tactics on me!
- What the fuck are you talking about?
- 930. Gave up the frontal assault,
tried to out-goddamn-flank me.
- 931. I am on to you.
I want you out of here right now!
- 932. Jesus Christ, you're not acting
very dignified for a mature woman.
- 933. Why, you old fucking Marine warhorse.
I'll show you dignified!
- 934. You get out of here! Get out of here!
Go on! Get the fuck out of here!
- 935. You better get your tail out of here
or I'll get mad!
- 936. Take that, you old fuck!
- 937. I never want to see your craggy
old face here again! You hear me?
- 938. Don't ever come back!
Ever, ever, ever! How dare you...
- 939. She's as crazy as she's always been,
- 940. - You asshole!
- 941. Fuck.
- 942. Goddamn it.
- 943. I hate you, highway!
- 944. Fuck you!
- 945. Tonight's winner is...
- 946. Miss Sarita Dwayne!
- 947. Oh!
What a gal.
- 948. Hey, yo, wait a minute, man.
That's bullshit. No.
- 949. - You're trying to rip me the hell off.
- Nobody likes a sore loser.
- 950. I'm an equal opportunity ass-kicker.
We gonna take a little vote.
- 951. All you all that voted
for Miss Banana Titties, say, "Yeah."
- 952. - No.
- 953. All y'all that voted for me,
say, "Rock the house!"
- 954. - Rock the house!
- Rock the house!
- 955. - Say, "Rock the house!"
- Rock the house!
- 956. What's up?
You all the faggot Mod Squad?
- 957. I don't play none of this jail
- 958. Yeah, right.
- 959. Don't ask for my autograph.
- 960. Yeah, you can rob me.
You can starve me...
- 961. and you can beat me, and you can
kill me. Just don't bore me.
- 962. I'm glad I could help.
I owe you dinner.
- 963. Sounds good.
- 964. Try not to make a habit of that.
- 965. Jesus Christ.
- 966. Powers will thin-slice your prick and pitch
your gonads if he finds out about this.
- 967. Sergeant major!
Who the hell are you?
- 968. Jones, sir. Second Battalion,
- 969. Christ, Highway's platoon.
Snap to, marine. Give me a hand.
- 970. - We're like brothers.
- Like my grandmother.
- 971. Yes, well, I posted his bail.
- 972. - He needs you, Aggie.
- Ha-ha. Until the next war.
- 973. Good thing we got him out.
- 974. Oh, shit.
- 975. Coffee.
- 976. Yeah, I always wanted
to check this place out.
- 977. - Look at all this history.
- Mary's served Marines from three wars.
- 978. How's he doing?
- 979. Aggie will put him back together again,
just like she always has.
- 980. Thank you, ma'am.
- 981. Highway's something else, huh?
High speed, low drag.
- 982. No one better to be with
if you're in a hot LZ.
- 983. Heartbreak Ridge.
- 984. It was the truth.
- 985. What's Heartbreak Ridge?
- 986. Now, listen. We have to understand
each other before...
- 987. we go any further.
- 988. Are we going any further?
- 989. You're going to be out of the Corps soon.
But you're gung ho, through and through.
- 990. You always will be.
- 991. And there is no room
in my future for a... Marine.
- 992. I'm not sure I like
the way you say "Marine."
- 993. I can say Marine
any damn way I choose.
- 994. I earned that right.
- 995. That's right, you did.
- 996. I lived in a rat-hole when they
brought those boys home...
- 997. in those flag-draped metal coffins.
- 998. I don't think I got a wink's sleep in '68.
Do you remember that year?
- 999. Yeah, I remember.
- 1000. I'd wake up in the morning and turn on
the TV. I'd eat dinner in front of it...
- 1001. eyes glued, hoping to catch
a glimpse of you on the news...
- 1002. and then praying that I wouldn't.
- 1003. And then I would crawl into bed and
I would wonder: Where were you?
- 1004. What were you doing? Were you alive?
And I had no way of knowing.
- 1005. I guess there's a lot of things that work
harder on a woman than being shot at.
- 1006. I swear, the not knowing was the worst.
- 1007. Oh, I'm sorry.
- 1008. That's all right, baby.
- 1009. That's all right.
- 1010. We went up and down that pile of dirt
for six days and six nights.
- 1011. Fixed bayonet, hand-to-hand.
- 1012. Fought them something fierce.
They gave back as good as they got.
- 1013. Lots of men died.
We were with the 23rd Infantry.
- 1014. We joined the Corps later. Hell,
we were even younger than you are.
- 1015. Hmm. I never heard of no Heartbreak Ridge.
- 1016. It ain't in any of the history books.
Just a little piece of war.
- 1017. Place didn't even have a name,
just a number.
- 1018. Stoney Jackson took one look
- 1019. "if this don't kill us,
it'll surely break our hearts."
- 1020. - Who's Stoney Jackson?
- Little Mary's husband.
- 1021. He was our platoon sergeant.
- 1022. He was the one who recommended Highway
for the Congressional Medal of Honor.
- 1023. Gunny Highway won the C.M.H.?
- 1024. He charged two machine gun nests by
himself. He didn't sleep for three days.
- 1025. The final human wave he held off
- 1026. When it was over...
- 1027. there was me, Stoney Jackson,
- 1028. We were the only ones still alive.
- 1029. What happened to Jackson?
- 1030. - He was killed at Khe Sanh in '68.
- Can I get you guys something to eat?
- 1031. I can fix it in no time.
- 1032. - No.
- Uh— No, thank you, ma'am.
- 1033. Excuse me, ma'am.
You don't happen to be...
- 1034. up and moving when
Gunny Highway leaves for the base?
- 1035. I pour his coffee and lay out his things.
- 1036. Platoon, ten-hut.
- 1037. Right face.
- 1038. Forward march!
- 1039. Each platoon will proceed to the objective,
which in this case is the Battalion Bear Pit.
- 1040. Whoever reaches it first
will get a 72-hour liberty.
- 1041. Sir. It'd be an honor
if you'd accompany my platoon.
- 1042. - Ugh.
- Thank you, staff sergeant.
- 1043. Get out of your seats.
- 1044. - Johanson, tighten up that harness.
- Gunny, I'm afraid of heights.
- 1045. - So am I.
- You are?
- 1046. Jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft
is not a natural act.
- 1047. So let's do it right
and enjoy the view. Come on.
- 1048. Let's move.
- 1049. We made it. We're the first platoon
to reach the Bear Pit.
- 1050. Not so quick, sir.
- 1051. Oh, darn. First Platoon.
- 1052. Major, it's Highway.
- 1053. Damn.
- 1054. Come on, men. Let's smoke them.
- 1055. First Platoon, follow me!
- 1056. Recon wins.
- 1057. Gunny, you don't know your place.
First Platoon is the victor.
- 1058. I'd say we have ourselves a dilemma, sir.
- 1059. Sergeant Major, I order you
to declare 1st Platoon the winner.
- 1060. Sir, that wouldn't be fair.
- 1061. What do you propose
to resolve this situation?
- 1062. Matchup.
- 1063. Okay, men, get them off.
- 1064. Get your shit off, let's go.
- 1065. Yeah! Yeah!
- 1066. Come on!
- 1067. Come on, shithead!
- 1068. Get them out!
- 1069. Get them out!
- 1070. Come on, you fucking dickhead!
- 1071. - I got him! I got him! I got him!
- 1072. Come on!
- 1073. We've got him! First Platoon!
- 1074. Aah!
- 1075. Recon!
- 1076. Recon! Recon!
- 1077. Sergeant major, 1st Platoon wins!
- 1078. I don't see it that way, major.
- 1079. You're out of order.
First Platoon is king of the pit.
- 1080. - How do you figure?
- Your man cheated.
- 1081. - I say he improvised.
- He cheated!
- 1082. He adapted. He overcame.
- 1083. There's only one way to settle this.
Platoon sergeants, front and center.
- 1084. Remember, sergeant,
I'm leading your platoon today.
- 1085. Old man, it's time for somebody
to put you in your place.
- 1086. Come on, major!
- 1087. Let's go, gunny!
- 1088. Man, it felt great beating
Major Powers' elite fighting unit!
- 1089. I've been bitten
by every bug known to mankind.
- 1090. No, these bumps make you look
like you got muscles.
- 1091. - I bet I have poison ivy.
- Man, you can get permanent light duty...
- 1092. for all the crud on your body.
- 1093. Your dream come true.
You won't have to do this bullshit no more.
- 1094. Fuck you.
I'm getting pretty good at this.
- 1095. Whoa!
- 1096. This man must be sick,
ladies and gentlemen.
- 1097. I'll tell you sick.
- 1098. Gunny Highway is the sickest individual
it's been my sorry pleasure to come across.
- 1099. Order today and get this record
from Recon Records. Songs like:
- 1100. - "Highway, You Sick individual."
- 1101. - "Polish My Weapon, I'll Polish Yours."
- That's my song.
- 1102. - "Bionic, Bionic Marine."
- Bionic Marine.
- 1103. - That's it.
- Do that one.
- 1104. Well, he kicked a lot of ass
- 1105. At a place called Heartbreak Ridge
- 1106. Don't fuck with Scarf ace Highway
Baddest jarhead that there is
- 1107. He's a bad psycho mother
- 1108. A leatherneck lifer
Who likes the barracks clean
- 1109. - He kicked Powers in the ass
- Webster upside the head
- 1110. If you fuck with this sick mother
Then you gonna end up dead
- 1111. He's a fire-pissing jarhead
- 1112. Salty dog don't wear nothing
But Marine Corps green
- 1113. - Ain't got time to shit or shower
- Ain't got time to smoke a cig
- 1114. I said don't fuck with Gunny Highway
Or you'll end up in the brig
- 1115. Tell you something else, man.
- 1116. Highway won the Congressional
Medal of Honor at Heartbreak Ridge.
- 1117. - Check that out. Check that out!
- 1118. I knew he was bad, but not that bad.
- 1119. Agent Powers wants statements
from each and every one of you.
- 1120. What kind of statements?
- 1121. Gunnery Sergeant Highway
used live ammunition...
- 1122. with unauthorized weapons
on the training exercise.
- 1123. Says who?
- 1124. I thought you guys
didn't like Highway.
- 1125. I heard that AK-47 fire
coming from your A.O.
- 1126. Don't you boys want to go back to the
way it was? Nobody fucking with you?
- 1127. It seems to me that no one's gonna
fuck with us the way things are now.
- 1128. There's weekend liberty
in it for all of you.
- 1129. I'll start with you.
- 1130. I got nothing to say.
- 1131. You.
- 1132. This is gonna go hard on y'all
if y'all don't cooperate.
- 1133. We ain't got nothing to say to you,
- 1134. Why don't you take your ass back
to that faggot 1st Platoon of yours...
- 1135. and don't go away mad, just go away.
- 1136. You've been told.
- 1137. Bye, Webster.
- 1138. Yeah!
- 1139. I hate social functions.
You're gonna love it.
- 1140. Your presence is requested at
the M.A.U. commander's open house.
- 1141. Full military dress.
- 1142. - Piss on that.
- You will be there, Sergeant Highway.
- 1143. Stand tall and look sharp so they can
see a hero who isn't bleeding to death.
- 1144. - Let's find the bar.
- Good idea.
- 1145. - How are you this evening? Thanks.
- How are you?
- 1146. Privileged to greet
a Medal of Honor winner.
- 1147. Thank you, sir.
- 1148. Run into any clusterfucks lately?
- 1149. No. Not lately, sir.
- 1150. Thank you for stopping by.
Enjoy the party.
- 1151. I love watching the brass snap to
attention when they see that ribbon.
- 1152. What do you do at a party like this?
Stick out your pinkie?
- 1153. Just don't unzip
and stick Old Blue out.
- 1154. Didn't J.J. Johnson do that
at a WAVE party in San Diego?
- 1155. No, that was me. J.J. mooned
the ARVN general at China Beach.
- 1156. Here, let's drink a toast to J.J.
and all the pieces of him we couldn't find.
- 1157. Funniest guy I ever met.
- 1158. One thing about a party like this,
the conversation's so adult.
- 1159. I think I'm gonna head for
the back door of this place.
- 1160. And lose all this joy?
- 1161. You won't be brokenhearted if I cut in,
- 1162. I'll get over it.
I'm gonna see what the chow's like.
- 1163. Would you like to dance?
- 1164. - Yeah. What are you doing here?
- I'm still on the mailing list.
- 1165. Hmm.
- 1166. - Yeah?
- 1167. Did I by any chance
give you that perfume?
- 1168. What's so funny?
- 1169. I was just thinking...
- 1170. this reminds me of the senior prom
and that chaperone with the ruler.
- 1171. "Agnes Anne, you keep 8 inches
- 1172. between you and that young man
you're dancing with."
- 1173. Yeah, I do remember that.
Wasn't that the...?
- 1174. The first night we ever...?
- 1175. Yes. Yes, it was.
- 1176. Agnes Anne, you were a wild creature,
I must say.
- 1177. What do your magazines say about that?
- 1178. I don't know, I haven't gotten to that part.
- 1179. - Are you still reading them?
- 1180. And what do they say about ex-wives?
- 1181. Not too much.
Just that the sex is great...
- 1182. because you don't have to establish
a relationship or be meaningful.
- 1183. - You really are trying to understand us?
- The best I can, yeah.
- 1184. Is that because you can't be a Marine
anymore and you've got no place to go?
- 1185. I shouldn't have said that. I'm sorry.
- 1186. It's all right. We've known each other
too long to run away...
- 1187. just over a little thing like
tearing each other's guts out.
- 1188. Tom, I'm sorry.
I shouldn't have said that. It just—
- 1189. It just never seems to work out
between you and me.
- 1190. - With her husband.
- I see.
- 1191. - I'm having a great time.
- It's a whole family gathering.
- 1192. I've been thinking a little bit about
that avocado ranch we talked about.
- 1193. Tom, Roy has asked me to marry him.
- 1194. What did you say?
- 1195. Your attention, please.
- 1196. The 22nd Marine Amphibious Unit's
alert status has just been upgraded.
- 1197. All officers and staff NCOs will
immediately return to their units.
- 1198. Thank you.
- 1199. What's the deal?
Is this another bullshit alert?
- 1200. We're going to war, men.
- 1201. Mother of Jesus.
- 1202. We're gonna assist in an operation
on the island of Grenada...
- 1203. to rescue American citizens there.
- 1204. The island of what?
- 1205. Grenada, a Caribbean island
also known as the Isle of Spice.
- 1206. It's 86 nautical miles
northeast of Venezuela.
- 1207. Our mission is to helocast into a small
bay on the west side of the island...
- 1208. and recon in advance of the Marines.
- 1209. I can't do that, man.
I forgot my suntan oil.
- 1210. Come on, it's time to earn your pay.
Let's move it.
- 1211. Pick it up. Let's go.
- 1212. Now hear this. Now hear this.
- 1213. Flight deck, prepare to launch helo.
Prepare to launch helo.
- 1214. Over there!
- 1215. Your glasses.
- 1216. Get ready.
- 1217. Choozoo, do you read me?
- 1218. This is Highway. Do you read me?
- 1219. I want your platoon to recon
toward the university.
- 1220. Stay low around Powers, you hear?
- 1221. See you when it's over.
- 1222. Spread out. Spread out.
- 1223. Jesus, what was that?
- 1224. - AK-47. It has a distinctive sound.
- Proceed swiftly and with caution.
- 1225. Get that 6O going around the corner.
- 1226. Cover my ass.
- 1227. Highway's crazy, man.
- 1228. They pulled out, lieutenant!
- 1229. All right, Aponte.
- 1230. Slowly.
- 1231. Damn.
- 1232. Cubans. Mm.
- 1233. Three-man recon team.
- 1234. Better spread out. I'm sure
they got buddies around here.
- 1235. Let's go.
- 1236. Spread the fuck out. Let's go.
- 1237. Okay. Go ahead.
- 1238. We forgot the hot dogs. I'll go back
to New York and get the hamburgers.
- 1239. Are you as good with engines
as your mouth?
- 1240. - Jones is the name, hot-wire's the game.
- Get on that cat.
- 1241. Get on that cat with him.
- 1242. - You set? Let's do it.
- Let's go.
- 1243. Swede. Get up there with that M-60.
- 1244. Yeah!
- 1245. I'm the ayatollah of rock 'n' roll-ah!
- 1246. Stay right there, sucker.
- 1247. Whoo!
- 1248. Stay low.
- 1249. Jesus, please forgive me.
- 1250. Come on, let's go.
- 1251. Let them know who you are
so no friendlies get hurt.
- 1252. Hello, happening hostages,
I'm Stitch Jones, Mr. Funkadelic.
- 1253. Try U.S. Marine, shithead.
- 1254. It's all clear!
- 1255. United States Marines!
- 1256. Ah!
- 1257. You've improved.
- 1258. Goddamn it, gunny!
- 1259. Uh— U.S. Marines, ma'am.
- 1260. [HOSTAGES SCREAM
- 1261. - U.S. Marines!
- Everybody all right?
- 1262. You know what they say:
A behind is a terrible thing to waste.
- 1263. Delta Company said they'd give us
surfboards and let us go down to the beach.
- 1264. One of those students kissed me
four times. I think I'm in love.
- 1265. - Was he good-looking?
- It was a girl.
- 1266. Clean your weapons,
check your ammo.
- 1267. All secured. No casualties,
no sign of enemy.
- 1268. Very good. I want some pictures
before we wrap this mission.
- 1269. We encountered heavy resistance
along the way.
- 1270. Probably local fanatics.
- 1271. Negative. Cuban regulars
with Russian rifles.
- 1272. That type of data
has already been factored in.
- 1273. - Battalion.
- Go ahead.
- 1274. Big Daddy says to get off your fat ass
and get back in the war. His words, sir.
- 1275. Says to recon that hill.
- 1276. Some flier thinks he saw some armor.
- 1277. - You're full of good news.
- You're too ugly to live forever.
- 1278. Gunny, recon that hill, but wait for Foxtrot
Company before launching any assault.
- 1279. Now, you stay in contact.
- 1280. Shall I send back data, sir,
or is that already factored in?
- 1281. Move out.
- 1282. Powers has the hots for you. Watch
your back. Could be wedding bells.
- 1283. All right, let's move out, recon.
- 1284. All right, let's go.
- 1285. Come on.
- 1286. Keep moving.
- 1287. Careful, guys.
- 1288. Shit!
- 1289. - Let's move!
- Get down. Get down!
- 1290. Get in the building!
- 1291. No!
- 1292. Move it!
- 1293. Get in the building! Go!
- 1294. Bad mistake, coming in here like this.
- 1295. - It's my fault.
- Apologize to their mothers.
- 1296. Jesus, gunny!
- 1297. Lay some steel on those targets.
- 1298. Collins, Aponte!
- 1299. Radio battalion, see if we can
get some air support.
- 1300. Yo, gunny, I think Profile's dead.
- 1301. Don't let him die, gunny.
- 1302. That's not up to me.
- 1303. Come on, stay down, everyone.
- 1304. - How you doing?
- I'm okay.
- 1305. - Doing better than Profile.
- I can still fight.
- 1306. - We gonna make it out?
- Why, got a date?
- 1307. You never know.
- 1308. Gunny, I got Profile killed.
- 1309. It was his time. When it's your time,
I don't give a damn how fast you run.
- 1310. - I could've gotten them all killed.
- But you didn't.
- 1311. Just don't make the same mistake twice.
- 1312. Right.
- 1313. I think I figured out a way to call in an air
strike if we can find where this line's cut.
- 1314. Jones!
- 1315. - That's the name, loving's the game.
- Thanks for volunteering.
- 1316. - Say what?
- Get up and find where the line's out.
- 1317. Come on, don't stand there, damn it.
- 1318. I wish I was back in New Jersey,
watching The Flintstones.
- 1319. I hate this bullshit.
- 1320. Do you know who you're shooting at?
I'm the ayatollah of rock 'n' roll-ah.
- 1321. Probably don't speak no English.
Banana-eating, bean-farting motherfuckers.
- 1322. Hello? Hello?
- 1323. - It works!
- Damn right, it works.
- 1324. Almost got my ass shot off for Ma Bell.
- 1325. Hello? Operator?
- 1326. I'd like to make an emergency
- 1327. to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
- 1328. Collect.
- 1329. What?
- 1330. Anybody got a credit card?
They won't make collect calls.
- 1331. Have no fear, Stitch is here.
I never go to combat without my plastic.
- 1332. Yes.
- 1333. It's 6-6-0...
- 1334. 5-5-8...
- 1335. O-7-1-1.
- 1336. Camp Lejeune.
- 1337. Are you for real?
- 1338. Grid 2-1-9...
- 1339. 6-3-2-1 -8—
- 1340. - Did they get it?
- I don't know. The phone went dead.
- 1341. Give me that.
- 1342. Gunny, where are you going?
- 1343. They don't see our marker,
we're in real trouble.
- 1344. You don't know
if the transmission got through.
- 1345. Well, I'll have to improvise, sir.
- 1346. Shit.
- 1347. Shit, Highway's been hit!
- 1348. What are we gonna do, sir?
- 1349. Let's go.
- 1350. Don't die, man.
- 1351. Gunny!
- 1352. Jonesuu
- 1353. Just because we're holding hands...
- 1354. doesn't mean we're gonna take warm
showers till the wee hours of the morning.
- 1355. You hear me?
- 1356. - Sucker, I thought you was dead!
- Wishful thinking.
- 1357. Well, lieutenant,
what are we waiting for'?
- 1358. All right, you devil dogs.
- 1359. - Let's take this fucking hill!
- 1360. Let's go!
- 1361. Go!
- 1362. All right, get them out of there!
- 1363. Put your hands up!
- 1364. - Bunker secure, sir!
- Thank you.
- 1365. - Corporal Jones!
- Yes, sir.
- 1366. - Move them out.
- You heard the man! Move out!
- 1367. Move it, ladies!
- 1368. Just what the hell
do you think you were doing?
- 1369. Just enjoying the view, sir.
- 1370. Well, you disobeyed a direct order.
- 1371. I told you to stay in contact
and not to take this hill without me.
- 1372. Get on your feet, Highway!
- 1373. Will all due respect, sir, you're beginning
to bore the hell out of me.
- 1374. - Who's in charge here?
- I am, sir. Major Malcolm Powers.
- 1375. Did you lead this assault?
- 1376. Lieutenant Ring and Gunnery Sergeant
Highway disobeyed a direct order.
- 1377. I told them to wait for support,
but they still charged up this hill.
- 1378. Why?
- 1379. We're paid to improvise, sir.
- 1380. I gave the order to take this hill.
- 1381. Ring, this is gonna ruin your career.
- 1382. - Are you new to the infantry, major?
- Yes, sir. Come over from Supply.
- 1383. - Were you good at that?
- Yes, sir.
- 1384. Then stick to it. You're a walking
clusterfuck as an infantry officer.
- 1385. This is a Marine amphibious unit.
- 1386. My men are hard-chargers.
- 1387. Ring and Highway took
a handful of young fire-pissers...
- 1388. exercised some personal initiative,
and kicked ass!
- 1389. - Good work, lieutenant.
- Thank you, sir.
- 1390. See that some of those students
are escorted back to Cherry Point.
- 1391. Aye, aye, sir.
- 1392. Well, you're dismissed.
- 1393. What the hell are you two sorry-assed
individuals looking at? Get out of my LZ.
- 1394. Semper Fi.
- 1395. Oorah.
- 1396. Well, Chooz, I guess we're not
0-1-1 now, huh?
- 1397. - There's my family.
- All right!
- 1398. - Got anybody here?
- No, but it's a beautiful day...
- 1399. - ... and your boy Stitch is ready to play.
- Give them hell.
- 1400. Yeah, I'm gonna do that. Definitely.
- 1401. Like I said, it's a beautiful day and
Stitch Jones is ready to play, you know?
- 1402. - Anytime, man.
- All right, big guy.
- 1403. You'll be a civilian soon.
You can let your hair long, sleep late...
- 1404. and become an asshole
rock 'n' roll star.
- 1405. Sergeant Major Choozoo
gave me re-up papers.
- 1406. And you signed them?
- 1407. Tell you the truth, gunny,
I'm a better Marine than a singer.
- 1408. You're also a lot dumber
than I thought you were.
- 1409. What about you?
- 1410. No, I've had it. No room
in this man's Corps for me now.
- 1411. Besides, they've got you.
- 1412. Michael!
- 1413. Hi, honey!
- 1414. He-hey!
- 1415. I guess all this marching bands and
parades and shit is old stuff to you?
- 1416. Tell you the truth, this is the first time.
- 1417. Well, well, well. There are my ladies.
- 1418. Well, hey, gunny...
- 1419. duty calls.
- 1420. What's happening?