- 1. BLOCK 2 PICTURES, INC.
- 2. in association with
- 3. PRENOM H CO., LTD.
SEOWOO FILM CO., LTD.
- 4. presents
- 5. Lai Yiu-Fai...
- 6. we could start over.
- 7. Ho Po-Wing always says,
"Let's start over,"
- 8. and it gets to me every time.
- 9. We've been together for a while
and break up often,
- 10. but whenever he says, "Let's start over,"
I find myself back with him.
- 11. So we left Hong Kong to start over.
- 12. We hit the road
and ended up in Argentina.
- 13. Where is Iguazu?
- 14. Iguazu? It's the other way.
- 15. Didn't you say you could read a map?
We're miles off!
- 16. So what's the big deal?
Turn around and find the road.
- 17. Why did we get a car?
We should've taken a bus.
- 18. This wreck is useless!
- 19. You drive!
- 20. It's better than nothing.
- 21. We're not rich.
- 22. And who wants to be stuck
in a bus for 30 hours?
- 23. That's what traveling is like!
- 24. I didn't know this would happen.
- 25. Get out and push.
- 26. When we first got here,
we had no idea where to go.
- 27. Then Po-Wing bought a lamp
and I really liked it.
- 28. We wanted to find
the waterfall on the lamp.
- 29. We found out it was at Iguazu.
- 30. We planned to see it and then go home,
but we lost our way.
- 31. Hey.
- 32. Where are you going?
- 33. I never did find out
where we were that day.
- 34. He only said
being with me was boring
- 35. and that we should take a break.
- 36. One day we might start over.
- 37. "Starting over"
means different things to him.
- 38. It's hard for Chinese people
to find work in Argentina.
- 39. After we broke up,
I came to Buenos Aires.
- 40. I became a doorman at a tango bar.
- 41. Let me go!
- 42. Welcome!
- 43. This way!
- 44. Go right on in!
- 45. Take a seat inside.
- 46. Seeing him again,
I didn't want to "start over."
- 47. I just wanted to return
to Hong Kong.
- 48. Fai, you've got a call.
- 49. They won't stop calling.
- 50. What is it?
- 51. I said stand still!
- 52. Smile!
- 53. Fuck it!
- 54. Can you hear me?
- 55. How did you get my number?
- 56. Ho Po-Wing, open the door!
- 57. Open the door!
- 58. What's up, Lai Yiu-Fai?
- 59. What's up, Ho Po-Wing?
- 60. Come in.
- 61. Why should I?
- 62. I want to talk to you.
- 63. We can talk here.
- 64. I've got something to tell you!
- 65. So talk!
- 66. What are you doing?
- 67. That's it.
- 68. You can go now.
- 69. - Go on.
- Don't push me.
- 70. I'll hit you.
- 71. Really?
- 72. Kill me if you dare!
- 73. - You little shit!
- You think you're any better?
- 74. "Welcome! This way!"
- 75. Isn't that prostitution?
- 76. Leave me alone!
- 77. You have your white trash
to take care of you!
- 78. Fuck you!
- 79. I'm broke!
You spent all the money!
- 80. I want to go back to Hong Kong,
but I don't have any money!
- 81. You think I like that job?
- 82. - Do you regret being with me?
- You bet I do!
- 83. I had no regrets till I met you.
- 84. Now my regrets could kill me!
- 85. Well?
- 86. Well?
- 87. Are you showing off?
- 88. Showing me you're well-off?
- 89. I couldn't give a shit!
- 90. Why did you ask me to come?
- 91. I just want to be with you.
- 92. I really do.
- 93. For you.
- 94. You can sell it if you don't like it.
- 95. Shit.
- 96. What is it now?
- 97. Can I have the watch back?
- 98. Let's sit in the back.
- 99. You don't want to be seen with me?
- 100. Not with your face looking like that.
- 101. So you can see!
I didn't think you'd noticed.
- 102. You didn't say anything,
so I thought you couldn't see.
- 103. You noticed that I got beaten up.
- 104. What do you want me to say?
What happened, happened.
- 105. We were friends for so long.
You could say something nice.
- 106. This happened because of you.
- 107. Don't say that.
Don't blame it on me.
- 108. I didn't ask for that watch.
- 109. But you took it.
You could've given it back.
- 110. - Then I wouldn't have gotten beat up.
- You want more?
- 111. - Should I go with you?
- Don't bother.
- 112. I'm the only one
you can bully around.
- 113. You live here?
- 114. Wait here.
- 115. Here you go.
- 116. What now?
- 117. Got a cigarette?
- 118. A light?
- 119. Don't come looking for me again.
- 120. Fai?
- 121. He moved out quite a while ago.
- 122. Don't mention it.
- 123. Lai Yiu-Fai!
- 124. Lai Yiu-Fai...
- 125. let's start over.
- 126. It's nice here.
- 127. - How long have you lived here?
- A few months.
- 128. - It's not exactly centrally located.
- It's cheap.
- 129. Of course.
- 130. Nice high ceiling.
Good view outside.
- 131. You still have that lamp?
- 132. I thought you'd have thrown it away.
- 133. Did you ever get to see the falls?
- 134. No, did you?
- 135. No.
- 136. I was waiting for you.
- 137. We'll go when I'm better.
- 138. We'll see.
- 139. Sleep here tonight.
- 140. - What about you?
- I'll take the sofa.
- 141. Could you take one more?
- 142. Please get lower.
- 143. One, two, three, smile!
- 144. Thank you.
- 145. Hey, Ho Po-Wing.
- 146. Get up and come eat.
- 147. Give me some chicken.
- 148. Am I very dirty?
- 149. The doctor said no showers.
- 150. - What are all these bites?
- Your bed has fleas.
- 151. That's what happens when it rains.
- 152. When the weather's better,
you should disinfect the bed.
- 153. I don't want to get bitten to death.
- 154. Lift your arm.
- 155. Hey, that hurts.
- 156. - Be gentle.
- You said you were dirty.
- 157. You're scrubbing too hard.
- 158. Spray over there too.
- 159. That's where you sleep.
- 160. - What?
- 161. Over there.
- 162. They're all gone.
- 163. - I'll go buy some.
- Don't bother. Go to sleep.
- 164. What are you doing?
You got your own bed.
- 165. I like this.
- 166. The sofa's too small for two.
- 167. It's not.
I think it's quite comfortable.
- 168. Why did you bite me?
- 169. I'm hungry.
- 170. You want the sofa?
- 171. What?
- 172. Then I'll take the bed.
- 173. Just go back to sleep.
- 174. If you want the bed, I'll stay here.
- 175. Be quiet, will you?
- 176. - Hey!
- Okay, I'll sleep on the bed.
- 177. Why can't you be nice?
- 178. The bed's too small.
- 179. What do you mean?
- 180. I can sleep on top of you.
- 181. We can sleep like this.
- 182. Are you gonna sleep here?
- 183. Don't be like that.
- 184. What now?
- 185. Let's sleep like this, okay?
- 186. You sleep here.
- 187. Let's sleep like this.
- 188. - Stop pawing me.
- More like the other way around!
- 189. Good night. Let's sleep.
- 190. Watch my hand. It hurts.
- 191. Notice anything different?
- 192. I'm warning you:
no more of your games.
- 193. I can't go on!
- 194. Come on!
- 195. Keep moving!
Morning exercise is good for you.
- 196. It's cold!
Let's do this tomorrow!
- 197. It's not that cold.
- 198. - You're right, it's freezing.
- So now what?
- 199. Okay, let's go back.
- 200. Fuck!
- 201. Lai Yiu-Fai...
- 202. how do you feel?
- 203. Terrible.
- 204. You're feverish.
- 205. Of course I am.
- 206. What were you thinking?
- 207. Why did you drag me out in the cold?
It was freezing.
- 208. I didn't think you were so weak
that you'd get sick.
- 209. Can you get up?
- 210. What for?
- 211. To cook something.
- 212. I'm starving!
I haven't eaten for two days!
- 213. I'm starving to death!
- 214. Are you not human or what?
- 215. You ask a sick man to cook for you?
- 216. We're rich!
- 217. Where's the ticket?
I'll claim the money!
- 218. You keep forgetting the steps.
- 219. Try it without me.
- 220. You keep forgetting the steps
you already learned.
- 221. Other way.
- 222. I got it.
- 223. You sure?
- 224. Let's try it here.
- 225. One...
- 226. two...
- 227. three...
- 228. four...
- 229. What a coincidence.
- 230. You out for a walk?
- 231. I was waiting for you, silly.
- 232. Hey, why didn't you tell me?
- 233. Tell you what?
- 234. I called you at work.
They said you'd quit.
- 235. You didn't mention it.
- 236. What's there to say?
- 237. Did you make a big exit?
- 238. I'm not saying.
- 239. Come on! I won't be able to sleep
if you don't tell me.
- 240. You can always go out
if you can't sleep.
- 241. If I don't get to sleep,
you won't either. Am I right?
- 242. - What do you mean?
- Why won't you tell me?
- 243. - Tell me!
- 244. - Tell me!
- No! You're so annoying!
- 245. You can tell it's a kitchen
by the sounds.
- 246. Listen carefully.
- 247. Some people are cooking,
some are arguing.
- 248. Others are talking on the phone
or washing dishes.
- 249. What are you doing?
- 250. Have you eaten?
- 251. I said have you eaten yet?
- 252. I'll bring something back for you.
- 253. What do you want?
- 254. Don't play games. Just tell me.
- 255. Whatever they've got.
- 256. Okay. Ciao.
- 257. This guy loves talking on the phone,
and his voice always sounds pleasant.
- 258. He must be talking
to someone he likes.
- 259. Everyone's gone.
Finish that tomorrow.
- 260. I said leave it for tomorrow.
- 261. It's okay.
I have nothing else to do.
- 262. Didn't you come here on vacation?
- 263. Yeah, but I ran out of money.
- 264. You want some?
- 265. I'm okay.
- 266. No charge.
- 267. Great.
- 268. How is it?
- 269. Real good.
- 270. Enjoy it. I'm going.
- 271. See you.
- 272. Fai, want to play mah-jongg?
- 273. No, count me out.
You guys have fun.
- 274. Missing some?
- 275. No. Just working out
how long I have to stay.
- 276. Things are pricey here.
- 277. You reading a map?
Where are you going?
- 278. I want to see the falls.
- 279. They're great.
- 280. Have you been?
- 281. - No.
- Then how do you know they're great?
- 282. Going somewhere new is fun.
You going alone?
- 283. With a friend.
- 284. I envy you.
Looks like I'm stuck here.
- 285. Where do you want to go?
- 286. I don't know. As far as I can.
- 287. Doesn't your family worry?
- 288. I'm here on my own.
They don't know where I am.
- 289. Planning to go back?
- 290. I left 'cause I wasn't happy.
- 291. I need to think things over
before I go back.
- 292. Enough about that.
Have a good time.
- 293. I can't. We're really busy.
How about tomorrow?
- 294. Movies are half price on Wednesday.
- 295. I can't take a day off!
- 296. Fai, bring me three eggs!
- 297. Hang on.
- 298. Hello?
- 299. It's for you.
- 300. Hello? That was my coworker.
- 301. We'll talk when I get back.
- 302. I've got to go. Bye.
- 303. We're busy and you're on the phone!
- 304. - What's wrong? I'm cold!
- You were looking through my things!
- 305. Why would I? Are you crazy?
- 306. My drawer's all messed up!
- 307. Look at my hands!
You think I did it with my mouth?
- 308. Do it again and I'll break your legs!
- 309. Fine! Go ahead!
- 310. Then they'll match my hands!
- 311. Think I went through your closet too?
- 312. If you do it again,
you can just get out!
- 313. You mean it?
- 314. Then help me get dressed
and I'll leave now!
- 315. - You wouldn't miss me too much?
- I'd rather sleep on the street!
- 316. It's you who would miss me!
- 317. Crazy!
- 318. Did he pick you up
or did you pick him up?
- 319. - Did you do it?
- 320. - You know what.
- 321. You know!
- 322. What do you mean?
- 323. Leave me alone.
Haven't you slept with other guys?
- 324. Okay. You don't ask me,
and I won't ask you.
- 325. Don't come over here!
I'll hit you!
- 326. - Okay, okay.
- Sleep over there!
- 327. You get so touchy sometimes.
- 328. I was just gonna ask
if there was something on your mind.
- 329. Why are you in such a bad mood?
- 330. - Get up!
- What now? What is it?
- 331. Didn't you want to sleep?
- 332. Since you're so fond of questions,
- 333. tell me who you've slept with!
- 334. I asked if you had slept with him.
Why are you asking me?
- 335. Now it's my turn.
Who have you slept with?
- 336. - You want to know?
- 337. It's already half past 3:00.
- 338. I've had so many boyfriends,
it'd take me hours to remember them all.
- 339. I don't mind. I'm not sleepy.
Take your time.
- 340. I don't want to.
- 341. - You little slut!
- Hey, hey!
- 342. Stop it! Stop it!
- 343. Get out!
- 344. You mean it?
- 345. - Yes, I mean it.
- Okay! Don't touch me!
- 346. - I can go myself.
- Get out!
- 347. I've got bruises.
You know I'm injured.
- 348. Get out!
- 349. I can't get any sleep.
- 350. Go on, freeze to death.
- 351. So, how many times?
- 352. Tell me.
- 353. How many times what?
- 354. How many times did you two do it?
- 355. If you did it, admit it.
- 356. A lot. All right?
- 357. Were there others?
- 358. Have you had the janitor downstairs?
- 359. I'm not like you.
- 360. Hey.
- 361. Will it take much longer?
- 362. This is Fai.
- 363. Is Po-Wing there?
- 364. Thank you. Bye.
- 365. It's so dark.
Why don't you turn the light on?
- 366. Where have you been?
- 367. Buying cigarettes.
- 368. Why are you so dressed up?
- 369. I don't get out often,
so I dress up when I do.
- 370. Why did you buy so many?
- 371. To save you having
to go out for them at night.
- 372. Where have you been?
- 373. For a walk. I was bored.
- 374. Want some food?
- 375. Are you really bored?
- 376. Do we have to go through this again?
- 377. If I want to go out, I'll go out.
- 378. Fine.
- 379. You always do what you like.
- 380. You taking the bed tonight?
I'll take the sofa.
- 381. I'll take the sofa.
- 382. I wasn't sure you were coming back.
- 383. Eat.
- 384. Cool it!
- 385. Stop it!
- 386. We'll play some other time.
- 387. One thing I never told Ho Po-Wing
- 388. was that I didn't want
him to recover too quickly.
- 389. Those were our happiest days.
- 390. Where's the passport you took?
- 391. I didn't.
- 392. Then why can't I find it?
- 393. No idea.
- 394. Give me back my passport.
- 395. - What do you want it for?
- None of your business!
- 396. I'm not giving it back.
- 397. - What are you looking for?
- You know very well.
- 398. Give it back!
- 399. How many times
do I have to tell you?
- 400. I'm not giving it back.
- 401. Yeah, hit me!
- 402. Hit me! Hit me!
- 403. - Hit me!
- 404. Not playing mah-jongg today?
- 405. I don't feel like it.
- 406. Wanna go for a drink?
- 407. You throwing up?
Let me help you.
- 408. Where's your place?
- 409. Want to see a movie with me?
- 410. I don't like movies.
They give me a headache.
- 411. Weirdo.
- 412. Right, I'm a weirdo.
- 413. She's pretty easy.
- 414. Then why not go out with her?
- 415. I don't like her voice.
- 416. I like women's voices
- 417. to be deep and low.
- 418. Actually, it depends.
- 419. What I mean is,
voices that make my heart beat faster.
- 420. What about you?
What kind of woman's voice do you like?
- 421. I don't really care.
- 422. You should go home
and get some sleep.
- 423. I'm listening to those guys talking.
- 424. From this far away?
- 425. I'm not sure what they're saying,
but they're gonna fight.
- 426. You have really good hearing.
- 427. It's a habit of mine.
I had eye problems when I was little.
- 428. I couldn't see well, so I listened.
- 429. My sight was corrected,
but I never lost the habit of listening.
- 430. Sometimes I think ears
are more important.
- 431. You "see" better with your ears.
- 432. You can pretend to look happy,
but your voice reveals the truth.
- 433. If you listen closely, you understand.
- 434. Really?
- 435. Just like your voice now
shows you're not happy.
- 436. So what are they saying over there?
- 437. I'll try.
- 438. Three bucks.
- 439. Chang!
- 440. - How much did we win?
- Five bucks.
- 441. Two for you.
- 442. Why do you get three?
- 443. Okay, three for you.
- 444. Chang has the liveliest voice
of all of us.
- 445. You get hot
playing soccer in the alley.
- 446. Not sure why,
but this summer's going by so fast.
- 447. A toast to friendship.
Thanks for everything.
- 448. You saved up enough?
- 449. - Yeah.
- 450. - Where are you going next?
- South to Ushuaia.
- 451. It's cold there.
- 452. They say it's the end of the world.
I'd like to see it.
- 453. You ever been there?
- 454. There's a lighthouse down there.
- 455. Heartbroken people go there...
- 456. and leave their unhappiness behind.
- 457. Do people still do that?
- 458. Maybe. I don't know.
- 459. Say something.
- 460. What?
- 461. You're my only friend here.
- 462. It'll be a souvenir.
I don't like pictures.
- 463. - I don't know what to say.
- 464. Anything from your heart.
- 465. Even something sad.
- 466. I'll take it to the end of the world.
- 467. - I'm not sad.
- Something cheerful, then.
- 468. Go ahead. I'm gonna dance.
- 469. Are you okay?
- 470. Want me to help you upstairs?
- 471. I'm all right.
- 472. You sure?
- 473. You go on now.
- 474. Good-bye, then.
- 475. Take care of yourself.
- 476. I hope we'll meet again someday.
- 477. Close your eyes.
- 478. - Why?
- Close your eyes.
- 479. - You know who you look like?
- 480. The blind swordsman.
- 481. No kidding!
- 482. Have fun.
- 483. Was it because we had become close?
- 484. When I held him, all I could hear
- 485. was my own heart beating.
- 486. Did he hear it too?
- 487. I didn't used to pick up men
in filthy public toilets.
- 488. These days I do,
'cause it's the simplest way.
- 489. I didn't think
I'd see Po-Wing there.
- 490. I've never gone back since.
- 491. I always thought
I was different from Po-Wing.
- 492. Turns out lonely people
are all the same.
- 493. Before I left Hong Kong,
I stole some money from work.
- 494. My father got me that job.
- 495. The boss was an old friend of his.
- 496. Since I got here,
I haven't stopped working.
- 497. Someday I hope to return the money,
and I want to apologize to my father.
- 498. Hello? Dad?
- 499. This is Fai.
- 500. December's very hot in Argentina.
It's my day off.
- 501. I want to send him a Christmas card,
but it turns into a long letter.
- 502. Apart from saying I'm sorry, I tell him
things he's been wanting to know.
- 503. In the end I say
- 504. I hope he treats me as a friend
- 505. and gives me a chance to start over.
- 506. To boost my income, I've started
working in a slaughterhouse.
- 507. The pay's much better,
and the hours suit me fine.
- 508. Work all night, sleep all day.
- 509. I'm back on Hong Kong time.
- 510. Hello? It's me.
- 511. What goes around comes around.
- 512. Po-Wing called soon after. His excuse
was he wanted his passport back.
- 513. I don't mind returning it,
but I don't want to see him.
- 514. I dread hearing what he always says.
- 515. I'm having trouble sleeping again.
- 516. Watching TV I realized
that Hong Kong and Argentina
- 517. are on opposite sides of the world.
- 518. I wonder how Hong Kong looks
- 519. Since I don't want
to stay in the room,
- 520. I work overtime
at the slaughterhouse.
- 521. Po-Wing's words still get to me,
but this time I won't let them.
- 522. Hello.
- 523. Yes.
No, Fai doesn't live here anymore.
- 524. He moved. Bye.
- 525. With my long hours at work,
I soon save enough to go home.
- 526. Before I leave Argentina,
I decide to try to see the falls again.
- 527. I lose my way
and wander around for a while,
- 528. but I finally reach Iguazu.
- 529. I feel very sad.
- 530. I feel like there should be
two of us standing here.
- 531. In January 1997, I finally arrive
at the end of the world.
- 532. This is the southernmost
lighthouse in South America.
- 533. Beyond this is the South Pole.
- 534. Suddenly I feel like going home.
- 535. I promised Fai
to leave his sadness here.
- 536. I don't know
what he said that night.
- 537. Maybe the recorder broke.
I can't hear anything on the tape.
- 538. Just some strange noises,
like someone sobbing.
- 539. Due to flight problems,
- 540. I return to Buenos Aires
the night before I leave for Taiwan.
- 541. I want to say good-bye to Fai,
- 542. but nobody knows where he is.
- 543. The day is beginning as I leave.
- 544. It must be night in Taipei now.
- 545. I wonder if the Liao Ning
night market has started.
- 546. Chinese leader Deng Xiao Ping died
last night in a Beijing hospital.
- 547. He was 93.
- 548. The announcement was made
by PRC Central TV early this morning.
- 549. It's afternoon
when I wake up in Taipei.
- 550. I'm back on this side of the world
on February 20,1997.
- 551. I feel like I'm waking up
from a long sleep.
- 552. Come try our meatballs.
- 553. - What'll it be?
- What's good?
- 554. Our special dumplings, sticky rice
and fried tofu are all tasty.
- 555. - What'll you have?
- I've ordered already.
- 556. One sticky rice.
- 557. Is this all on you?
- 558. He didn't even order the sticky rice.
- 559. Don't fight here!
- 560. You got a problem?
You don't have to eat here!
- 561. Is this how you treat customers?
- 562. What's your problem?
Go start trouble somewhere else!
- 563. You're crazy!
Go greet the customers.
- 564. More soup? Right away.
- 565. Please sit down.
Special dumplings and sticky rice.
- 566. - Do you have a phone?
- Over there. Come around.
- 567. I stayed in Taipei
before returning to Hong Kong.
- 568. I visited the Liao Ning night market.
It was very lively.
- 569. I didn't see Chang,
but I saw his family.
- 570. I finally understood how he could be
happy running around so free.
- 571. It's because he has a place
he can always return to.
- 572. I wonder what will happen
when I see my father.
- 573. We'll see.
- 574. I took Chang's picture because
I didn't know when I'd see him again.
- 575. What I do know is,
if I want to see him,
- 576. I know where to find him.
- 577. THE END
- 578. Leslie Cheung, Tony Leung
- 579. Executive Producer: Chan Ye-Cheng
- 580. Written and Directed by
- 581. Director of Photography:
- 582. Special Thanks to: