- 1. Yes, yes. How's it looking?
- 2. Oh, my God!
- 3. It is here, bruv.
- 4. This is insane.
- 5. I can't believe
this is actually happening. Yes.
- 6. - What's it saying?
- Oh, bruv, it's beautiful.
- 7. Dude, how many months
of selling underwear did you have to do
- 8. to afford the new wheel? Be honest.
- 9. I just know this means
you'll be at the gaming cafe less.
- 10. Yeah, bruv, I'm bored of the cafe.
- 11. Yo, I'm 99% sure
that I've beaten every single person
- 12. that's ever stepped foot in the cafe.
- 13. Also, for your information,
- 14. it only took me a month
of saving up at the knickers store
- 15. to afford the new wheel.
- 16. Not months, plural. Month, singular.
- 17. Moment of truth.
- 18. Oh, she's perfect.
- 19. This is so much better than my old setup.
- 20. I'm sorry, I'm unstoppable now.
- 21. All right, Big Dog.
I'm looking at Rory right now
- 22. and he says to meet in the lobby.
- 23. Race Le Mans. Yeah?
- 24. Fine. I'll play Rory.
- 25. - Jann.
- But tell him to bring his own coffin.
- 26. Jann.
- 27. Hey. Sorry, Dad.
- 28. We're headed to the field.
- 29. You wanna get outside
and kick it around a bit?
- 30. Get some air? It'll do you good.
- 31. No, I'm okay.
- 32. Sooner or later you're gonna have
to leave this room, right?
- 33. Dad! Come on, let's go!
- 34. You could learn from your younger brother.
- 35. If you'd practice football half as much
as you play this damn game—
- 36. I don't like football, Dad.
We've been over this.
- 37. 'Sup, man, you still there?
- 38. Yeah.
- 39. Jeez, your dad's not into your lifestyle,
- 40. God, yeah, no shit.
- 41. Bruv, I'm just gonna do
a quick custom job.
- 42. Where'd you go?
- 43. Janny.
- 44. Janny, where'd you go?
- 45. Sorry, I'm just adjusting the rear wing.
- 46. Giving it more downforce. More rake.
- 47. Janny, Rory's waiting.
- 48. Sorry, this car is ridiculous.
- 49. At this point this is actually a waste
of my time, but you know what?
- 50. Go on, I'll play Rory. Why not?
- 51. - The anticipation is killing me, bruv.
- I'm loading him into the Le Mans race.
- 52. Okay.
- 53. - Ready.
- Go, Speed Racer.
- 54. Let's go.
- 55. Hi. Good to see you again.
- 56. How may I help you, sir?
- 57. I'm Danny Moore with Marketing.
I have a meeting with Motorsports.
- 58. - Yes. Perfect. Here is your pass, sir.
- Thank you so much.
- 59. Well, thank you again for having me.
- 60. This is Yamauchi Kazunori,
- 61. creator of Gran Turismo,
- 62. a racing game so accurate...
- 63. it's inspired a love of driving
in 80 million players.
- 64. The realism, the physics,
- 65. the fidelity of the cars.
- 66. And recreated
the world's most famous racetracks
- 67. with meticulous attention to detail.
- 68. They test these cars over and over again.
- 69. All of this comes together
- 70. to give the player
the most realistic driving experience.
- 71. So when I came to Nissan...
- 72. my job was...
- 73. to call people who defaulted
on their car payments.
- 74. Most of them said,
"Go ahead, take it. I don't want it."
- 75. They'd rather be on their phones
in the back of an Uber
- 76. than driving themselves.
- 77. Car buyers today don't dream
of the open road.
- 78. They don't associate their cars
- 79. But Gran Turismo players do.
- 80. This is an untapped demographic of buyers
- 81. that we should be reaching.
- 82. And how do you suggest we do that?
- 83. By creating a contest
- 84. that offers the best video game players
in the world a chance
- 85. to compete in professional racing.
- 86. If we can take one driver
- 87. from the virtual world,
from behind their console,
- 88. and put them into a race car, onto a track
and turn them into a champion...
- 89. Nissan will reignite the dream to drive
- 90. in 80 million others.
- 91. Thank you.
- 92. Mr. Moore.
- 93. You left these upstairs.
- 94. You really believe
one of these players could compete.
- 95. I do. Absolutely, yeah.
- 96. I've played the game
and it's remarkable, actually.
- 97. You understand if we put them in our cars
and somebody was hurt,
- 98. we would all be responsible.
- 99. Yes, I understand. Yes. Yeah.
- 100. The board has agreed to move forward
with your program under one condition.
- 101. You find a certified chief engineer
to ensure that it's safe.
- 102. There can be no mistakes.
- 103. Absolutely. Of course.
- 104. I wish you luck.
- 105. Thank you.
- 106. Holy shit.
- 107. Yeah, of course I understand.
It is. It's a very steep learning curve.
- 108. But with the right instructor,
you know, like you...
- 109. Yeah.
- 110. Yeah, I do.
- 111. Thank you again for your time.
- 112. Holy shit.
- 113. Jack Salter.
- 114. Jack.
- 115. Jack!
- 116. Salter!
- 117. Got a visitor. Make it quick.
- 118. Capa wants that fixed yesterday.
- 119. It's a contest.
- 120. The fastest SIM racers in the world...
- 121. get to compete in a camp.
- 122. And the winner gets to race
for Team Nissan.
- 123. Wow. What do you get out of this?
You get a bigger office or something?
- 124. I wish.
- 125. It's insane. It's not gonna work.
It's far too dangerous.
- 126. Why?
- 127. You really think
that you're gonna put some kid
- 128. who's been playing a game in his bedroom
- 129. into a 200-mile-an-hour rocket?
- 130. It'll tear him to pieces.
- 131. These players have clocked more track time
- 132. than you have in your entire career.
- 133. On, what do you call it, a console?
- 134. You know that if you get in a wreck
out here, you can't hit reset, right?
- 135. How many guys you go to
before you went to me?
- 136. - A few.
- Yeah. "A few."
- 137. A lot.
- 138. But nobody
with your particular experience.
- 139. Oh, God. Come on, man.
- 140. I haven't been chief engineer in 15 years.
- 141. These kids, they're outsiders too.
- 142. I know it's unprecedented,
but so was a kid from Iowa racing Le Mans.
- 143. Yeah. Look how that turned out.
- 144. Don't you wanna take racing back
from these pricks
- 145. who think they can just buy it?
- 146. I'm talking about a chance
to compete again.
- 147. Don't you want one last shot?
- 148. I think
those days are in my rearview, friend.
- 149. Then what are you doing here?
- 150. Somewhere out there, there's a kid
- 151. who's faster than all these assholes...
- 152. that's just never gotten a chance
to show the world what they're capable of.
- 153. I'm gonna find them!
- 154. Yeah, cool.
- 155. Here we go.
- 156. Oh, yum, get excited.
- 157. Lentil salad. My favorite.
- 158. - No sarcasm at the table, please.
- No having fun at the table, please.
- 159. You're a dedicated athlete.
Diet matters. Yeah? Eat up.
- 160. You're starting on the wing tomorrow.
Plenty of eyes on you.
- 161. Sorry. I'm sorry.
- 162. When I go pro,
I'll eat at a steakhouse every night.
- 163. You'll be there too, Jann.
- 164. You could be our waiter.
- 165. Very funny.
- 166. But I'm not gonna be a waiter.
I've got plans.
- 167. Says the dude who sells stockings
at the department store.
- 168. - Coby.
- Coby, that's enough.
- 169. - On a roll tonight.
- 170. Have you thought at all
about going back to university?
- 171. Mum, we've been over this so many times.
- 172. Motorsports Engineering is a step
in that direction.
- 173. And I told you, at university,
they didn't let us drive the cars.
- 174. Not again about the race cars.
- 175. Didn't you say
"Always do something you love"?
- 176. Yes. Yes. I did,
but I meant within the realm of reality.
- 177. I played grassroots football for years
before my first professional contract.
- 178. Well, I can start at the bottom.
Work in the pits. Do car maintenance.
- 179. Yeah, but that's not our world, son.
- 180. - You know what racing cars cost?
- It's what I love.
- 181. It's what I'm good at.
- 182. These lentils are quite nice.
- 183. I'm not hungry.
- 184. Throughout my life,
I've invested in talent
- 185. that guarantees me
a front-row seat to greatness,
- 186. and this is what we endeavor towards
- 187. To be elite.
- 188. No? Nicky, my boy,
last year we had a rough start.
- 189. But this year,
- 190. everything from the cars to the team
will be best in class.
- 191. This year will be our greatest.
- 192. Hear, hear.
- 193. This season is going to be great,
but it comes down to dedication.
- 194. Talent.
- 195. So no messing around. I'll demand
as much from you as I do of myself,
- 196. so make sure you keep up or you're gone.
- 197. Nick, you looked good out there today.
- 198. You have something to say?
- 199. You're not carrying enough speed
into turn four.
- 200. You know that, right? You're braking early
and you should push it.
- 201. Oh, you're giving me advice right now?
- 202. You're a good driver, Nick.
- 203. I don't know how many times
you need to hear that.
- 204. But you get a little emotional.
And when you get emotional—
- 205. You're a mechanic.
- 206. If I want driving advice,
I'll talk to my team leader.
- 207. Not some flamed-out has-been
who couldn't back it up 50 years ago.
- 208. Hello, you've reached the voicemail
of Danny Moore. Leave a message.
- 209. Tell Nissan I'll do it.
- 210. I'm not spending another minute
with this pretentious clown show.
- 211. I'll teach your gamer kids how to drive.
- 212. They just gotta prove to me
that they can do it.
- 213. If I feel like it's unsafe,
I'm gonna walk.
- 214. Not gonna have blood on my hands.
- 215. How we doing, gamers?
- 216. My favorite sound in the world.
Sound of clicking. How we doing, brother?
- 217. Nice, nice, nice, nice, nice.
- 218. Excuse me.
- 219. - Can I get your help here, please?
- Yes. Of course you can.
- 220. Hey.
- 221. You are joking.
- 222. Bruv, you gotta see this.
- 223. Dude, I've only got a minute. What's up?
- 224. Dude.
- 225. - What is this?
- I saw this message on the screen.
- 226. It says that the account
that was last logged in on this console
- 227. got one of the fastest lap times
in the UK.
- 228. Dude, it was your account.
- 229. - Wait, this is a joke.
- No. It's a contest.
- 230. Press play, dude.
- 231. If you're one of the very, very few people
getting this message,
- 232. it means that you set
the fastest lap time in Gran Turismo.
- 233. There's a virtual race happening tomorrow.
- 234. Win it and a once-in-a-lifetime
opportunity awaits you.
- 235. We've created an academy
- 236. to take the best SIM racers in the world
- 237. and train them to race real race cars.
- 238. We want to prove to the whole world
that the impossible dream can happen.
- 239. Dude, this is real?
- 240. It's as real as a ten-car pileup
on the M4. Bad example.
- 241. You need to practice now.
- 242. - Why don't you follow the race line?
- Just experimenting.
- 243. See, the other drivers,
they follow that line.
- 244. So if I go wide like this,
- 245. sometimes I beat them.
- 246. Like that.
- 247. And if it doesn't work, I just reset.
- 248. Night-night, son.
- 249. Night, Dad.
- 250. If you're getting this message,
it means that you're one
- 251. of the best Gran Turismo players
in the world right now.
- 252. What?
- 253. Looking at porn?
- 254. - No. I'm not.
- 255. Come on.
We're throwing a party at the pier.
- 256. Dude, you took the keys?
- 257. Coby, you're on your last strike.
Mum will kill you if you get in trouble.
- 258. That's why we're using your window.
- 259. Sorry, man. I've gotta practice.
- 260. I heard Audrey will be there.
- 261. Come on.
- 262. Coby, give me the keys.
- 263. Nope.
- 264. Let me drive.
- 265. I'm a better driver, bruv.
- 266. This is bullshit, Coby.
I can't believe I'm letting you drive.
- 267. I can't believe I invited you.
Get in, Jann.
- 268. You better not screw up Dad's car.
- 269. Drop the clutch.
I thought you could drive.
- 270. Cheers, bruv.
- 271. Simulate me, Janny!
- 272. Hey.
- 273. Hey.
- 274. You having fun over here?
- 275. Yeah, I was coming over in a sec.
- 276. Yeah?
- 277. We were just talking about traveling.
- 278. - Oh, really?
- 279. I don't know, do you ever just...
- 280. wanna pack a bag
and leave here and never look back?
- 281. All the time.
- 282. - Yeah?
- 283. Me too.
- 284. You know, if there was one place
in the world that I could go,
- 285. I think it would be New York.
- 286. Why?
- 287. I've heard they have good pizza.
- 288. Yes. I've heard that too.
- 289. - Yeah?
- 290. What about you?
- 291. This is stressful.
- 292. Gun to your head, what's one place
you wanna go before you die?
- 293. Tokyo. Done.
- 294. - Okay. Tokyo.
- 295. Is that because of the guy
who created your game?
- 296. Yes, but technically it's not a game.
- 297. I mean,
technically it's a racing simulator.
- 298. Right. Okay.
- 299. Sorry.
- 300. What is it about racing
that you love so much?
- 301. Well...
- 302. Sometimes when I'm driving,
- 303. I can be going so fast,
- 304. and everything else is moving so slow,
- 305. and it's like the rest of the world
just falls away.
- 306. It's just you and the car...
- 307. and that's it.
- 308. It's kind of magic.
- 309. Magic.
- 310. Put out the fire!
- 311. Put it out!
- 312. - I should probably get going.
- 313. My train leaves early.
- 314. I bet Brighton is better than here.
- 315. Yes. It is.
- 316. DM me sometime, Jann.
I'll be watching for you.
- 317. Good luck with the simulating.
- 318. - Bye.
- Thank you. Bye.
- 319. Audrey, let's go!
- 320. Oh, come on!
- 321. You drive slower
than my grandmother! Let's go!
- 322. Yeah, well, there's a reason
that I'm driving.
- 323. I'm the sober one. Chill.
- 324. Let's see if these guys got a beer for me.
- 325. Hey!
- 326. You got more beers there?
- 327. Are you still thirsty, mate? I got you!
- 328. Couple o' pints on me!
- 329. You are kidding me.
- 330. Oh, sit down. Stop.
- 331. I'm done. Like, finished!
- 332. The uni captain will pull my scholarship—
- 333. Yo, shut up, shut up.
- 334. Shush, shush, shush.
- 335. All right, belts on. Get your belt on.
- 336. My football career's over.
- 337. What are we gonna do?
- 338. We'll spend the night in jail
if they catch us now.
- 339. Jail?
- 340. No, what? No, we can't.
- 341. Shut up!
- 342. They're pulling them over, not us.
- 343. I'm not missing my race tomorrow.
- 344. What the bloody hell are you doing?
- 345. Oh, Jesus Christ!
- 346. - I'm gonna puke.
- Yo, don't puke in my dad's car.
- 347. Jann!
- 348. Be chill, be chill, be chill.
- 349. Have they gone?
- 350. Yes, we're not going to jail!
- 351. Bollocks. Oh, man.
He'll know I was drinking if you drove.
- 352. - He could tell my coach.
- He's not telling him nothing.
- 353. He wants you on the team
more than you wanna be on the team.
- 354. Okay, say I'm the better driver
and I'll take the blame.
- 355. Say I'm the better driver
and I'll take the blame. Say it.
- 356. - Say I'm the better driver. Say it.
- You're the better driver.
- 357. We couple the lead engine
with the cars, yeah?
- 358. - Yes.
- Connect the rod.
- 359. The pneumatics.
- 360. Yep.
- 361. Release.
- 362. What's up? You in a hurry?
You got someplace to be?
- 363. - Sorry. No.
- Yeah. Bring that up.
- 364. Dad, obviously I'm happy to pay
- 365. for the damage to the mirror
and the paintwork and stuff,
- 366. but I was just wondering how many
of these sessions I have to do. You know?
- 367. You think that's why you're here?
- 368. Is it not?
- 369. You're not here
because you broke the mirror on the car,
- 370. or because you took it without asking me.
- 371. Then why am I here?
- 372. Because this is where you end up
when you don't have a plan.
- 373. I'm sorry, wait.
- 374. Am I here because I play Gran Turismo?
- 375. You think you're gonna play
stupid video games about cars
- 376. and you're gonna become a race car driver?
- 377. Either you go back to school
and find something achievable,
- 378. or you can join me here now.
- 379. But there's no future in racing.
- 380. I'm done.
- 381. Pick up, pick up.
- 382. - I'm coming.
- Dude, the race starts in two minutes.
- 383. I need you to sign me in.
- 384. I have signed you in, but it's
a rolling start. I can't control it.
- 385. If I'm not there when the lights go green,
start the race.
- 386. No. What? That's illegal, I can't do that.
- 387. - It's gotta be you that drives.
- If I don't get this, I'm done.
- 388. We are moments away from the start
of the European qualifying race.
- 389. Come on, come on, come on.
Bruv, it's starting. It's starting!
- 390. Best of luck to all you gamers out there.
- 391. Go, go, go!
- 392. Three, two, one...
- 393. And we're off!
- 394. - Can you catch up?
- I think so.
- 395. - Persol, how many am I up against?
- It is you against the 19 best in Europe.
- 396. Okay, bro, you're in 17th position,
but you got ten laps to come back.
- 397. We need a win
to go to GT Academy. Come on.
- 398. Loosey-goosey, baby. Loosey-goosey.
- 399. He's boxing you out.
You gotta do something.
- 400. Time's running out.
- 401. I'm taking the outside.
There's no time to dance.
- 402. Yes, Jann. That's my boy.
- 403. Two seconds back from the next car.
- 404. This is it. Last lap, you gotta go.
- 405. Come on, Jann!
- 406. - Okay, second position just spun out.
- Oh, shit!
- 407. I'm six seconds behind the leader.
- 408. Final turn now.
- 409. Come on, Jann.
- 410. Push it!
- 411. Yes. Yes. Yes.
- 412. That's him, that's him. There he is.
- 413. You'll let him walk out
without knowing who's operating this camp?
- 414. He's only off to Northampton.
- 415. He's off to race cars. Do you have
any idea how dangerous that is?
- 416. Dad, I'm sorry, you're the one that said,
"Go and do something real."
- 417. Now I am, and it's too dangerous.
Make up your mind.
- 418. Look, this has never
been done before, Jann.
- 419. It's a gimmick.
You've barely driven a real car.
- 420. Dad, I've raced thousands of hours.
- 421. But it's not the same, son.
- 422. Real drivers,
they're professional athletes. Not like—
- 423. Dad, do you remember this day?
- 424. You took this of me when I was 5.
- 425. All I've wanted to do since then
is be a racer.
- 426. I am doing it.
- 427. Whether you believe in me or not.
- 428. Welcome to the GT Academy.
- 429. Hi.
- 430. The ten of you...
- 431. hailing from eight different countries,
- 432. are the best SIM racers
- 433. in the world.
- 434. You've overcome incredible odds
to be here.
- 435. Now you stand on this track...
- 436. with enormous opportunity.
- 437. The winner will earn a seat
- 438. on Team Nissan...
- 439. and a place in racing history.
- 440. Now, please meet our chief engineer,
- 441. the man who's gonna teach you all
how to do it, Jack Salter.
- 442. Dude's a fricking legend.
- 443. So all these folks behind me are...
- 444. keen on y'all proving
you can do the impossible.
- 445. I'm here to prove that you can't.
- 446. Hi. What's your name?
- 447. Jann Mardenborough.
- 448. Jann. Wow, you're tall.
- 449. You fit in a race car?
- 450. I don't know.
- 451. I guess in the game I do.
- 452. This is not a game.
- 453. Racing.
- 454. It takes strength,
it takes tremendous will,
- 455. intelligence, sensitivity.
- 456. There's only a handful of people
in the entire world
- 457. who can do it at the level
that you're gonna be asked to do it.
- 458. When you're in a race,
the g-forces will be twice
- 459. what an astronaut experiences
- 460. And it's under these conditions
that you're gonna be forced
- 461. to make split-second decisions
that could cost you your life.
- 462. Or worse...
- 463. you could kill someone else.
- 464. These are incredible stakes.
- 465. And if you're not willing to risk it,
- 466. I want you to walk away.
- 467. There's absolutely no shame.
- 468. 'Cause if you stay, I'm gonna push you
harder than you have ever been pushed,
- 469. and I am gonna prove
that you don't have what it takes.
- 470. Because to take one look at any of you,
- 471. I can already tell that you don't.
- 472. Welcome.
- 473. Great pep talk, Churchill.
- 474. I think they got the point.
- 475. Look.
- 476. This was my dream.
- 477. To take SIM racers,
- 478. put them into real cars,
- 479. and have them race
against professional drivers.
- 480. Now is your chance
to turn dreams into reality.
- 481. Let's go!
- 482. This is the first time
you've been in a race car,
- 483. as opposed to sitting
in front of a computer screen.
- 484. There's a lot of similarities
when it comes to throttle, braking.
- 485. How to take turns, how to use brakes,
- 486. find your line on the track.
- 487. I think this is the chance
we've all been looking for,
- 488. to become what we wanted to.
- 489. You never know how high you can achieve.
- 490. - Dreams can come true.
- All right, Jann.
- 491. - Jann?
- 492. And just remember this whole thing
is about press readiness, okay?
- 493. When did you know
that you wanted to be a racer?
- 494. Well, I liked cars since I was a kid.
- 495. Go, go, go. Come on.
- 496. You're going
to compete in different exercises
- 497. so that we can determine whose SIM skills
translate to driving a real car.
- 498. I wasn't prepared for just how physical
- 499. the demands of the car were gonna be.
- 500. - What do you think about your competitors?
- They're great.
- 501. How about Matty?
- 502. To each his own. He's obviously
very confident. Good for him.
- 503. What do you think about Jann?
- 504. Jann is the same as any other driver
on the track. Just another car to pass.
- 505. Matty with the answers.
- 506. Better strap in too, man.
We're about to go fast.
- 507. Let's see it.
- 508. We're gamers.
- 509. We're competitive people.
- 510. Let's go, keep it clean. Come on!
- 511. Oh, God.
- 512. This entire thing is
a marketing extravaganza.
- 513. Get in the chopper.
Let us get a few shots.
- 514. - Doing what?
- Follow the kids around the track,
- 515. make some notes,
act like an engineer, look cool.
- 516. There's no way I would evaluate
race car drivers from a helicopter.
- 517. It's the dumbest thing
I have ever heard in my whole life.
- 518. I'm not getting in that thing.
- 519. Looking good, Matty.
You're looking good on the straight there.
- 520. Nice line.
- 521. Come on, you gotta go. Punch it!
- 522. I will be your judge. I will be your jury.
- 523. All right, come on, you gamer kids.
- 524. This must be a new experience for you.
- 525. Last time you stretched your legs
- 526. was to go get another packet
of Hot Pockets from the freezer.
- 527. You get tired, you get sloppy.
- 528. You get sloppy, you get hurt.
- 529. Then you lose races!
- 530. I heard your trainer Jack can be
a little hard on the team.
- 531. I mean, he means it well.
- 532. He's tough, but it's like tough love.
- 533. I need you to be faster than this.
- 534. Don't think, just react.
- 535. You're gonna be hot in the car.
You're gonna be tired. Focus!
- 536. Jack thinks we just suck.
- 537. Grabbed a bunch of cones back there.
- 538. And I will decide who is eliminated.
- 539. Close that gap. Let's close that gap.
- 540. No, no, no, no!
- 541. No!
- 542. Jesus Christ.
- 543. Sorry about the car.
- 544. Good luck.
- 545. We'll cut you down to five.
- 546. Those five will compete in a final race.
- 547. Bye!
- 548. Keep going! Keep going!
- 549. If your name's below the red line
at the end of this, you're out.
- 550. You're ruining my enjoyment
of these chips.
- 551. Hello.
- 552. I didn't think it was gonna be
so physically demanding.
- 553. You puked on my lawn.
- 554. Goodbye, Henry.
- 555. No, no, no. Come on, come on!
- 556. Goodbye, Chloe.
- 557. I wasn't into sports and I didn't know
that we had so much working out.
- 558. Klaus.
- 559. Can I have a word?
- 560. Good effort, son.
Here's a cap and a shirt for you.
- 561. See that car? That'll take you home.
- 562. Bye, Klaus.
- 563. What's your biggest fear?
- 564. I guess going home
and proving everybody right.
- 565. You know, that...
- 566. that this, it was impossible
and this wasn't meant to be.
- 567. Passing is the art of conviction.
- 568. You're coming into turn 15.
- 569. It's got a late apex. The exit tightens.
- 570. You gotta find your moment to pass.
- 571. Come on. What you got? What you got?
- 572. Come on, there's a gap. Go, go, go.
- 573. Wait for the window.
- 574. Come on, turn it! Go! Go, go, go, go!
- 575. Not today.
- 576. - Brake! Brake!
- I'm trying!
- 577. Good night.
- 578. You okay?
- 579. Jesus Christ.
- 580. I braked.
- 581. Jesus.
- 582. But I braked. I braked, I braked.
- 583. - I'm so sorry.
- You can't be afraid in the car.
- 584. I wasn't afraid. I braked.
I don't know what happened.
- 585. Gotta commit!
- 586. You okay? You okay?
- 587. It work in your game?
- 588. Are you okay? Are you okay?
- 589. Dude, you crashed a car with Jack inside.
- 590. That was insane.
- 591. Terrifying.
- 592. Listen, you gotta commit.
- 593. You know if you don't commit
in the turn, it's our lives on the line.
- 594. Uncanny.
- 595. I don't know if I was more scared
of the crash or of Jack.
- 596. - You actually got a bit lucky.
- Yeah, I think I did.
- 597. Clearly, I mean, you haven't been
behind the wheel before, have you?
- 598. No, I don't think any of us have.
- 599. The whole point is
to find someone who hasn't.
- 600. Well, I think
the point is to win. Isn't it?
- 601. Is there a problem?
- 602. I don't know. Is there?
- 603. I'm in first place, baby.
- 604. - He's humble too.
- 605. But you heard Jack.
- 606. I mean, there's no shame
in going home, right?
- 607. - Yeah, did you hear that?
- That's exactly what I heard.
- 608. If you're not gonna commit to a pass...
- 609. If you, in the moment,
you decide, "I'm not gonna go"...
- 610. I mean, you gotta fall back,
you gotta brake early...
- 611. I tried. The brakes didn't respond.
- 612. Excuse me?
- 613. I tried to brake and the brakes didn't—
- 614. Brakes not working?
- 615. That's not what I said.
But I felt like they were glazed.
- 616. Oh, they were glazed. Yeah.
They were glazed.
- 617. How do you know?
How do you know something like that?
- 618. 'Cause I've been driving
these cars for years.
- 619. In a video game.
- 620. We're in real life now, okay?
- 621. This is reality.
- 622. If you're not gonna commit,
- 623. if you're not gonna have conviction
on that track...
- 624. you make mistakes like that,
- 625. next time we might not be so lucky.
- 626. That's it. Get out.
- 627. Why do you think we're here?
Because we know how these cars work.
- 628. I know what I'm talking about.
I'm not afraid.
- 629. Come on, man.
- 630. Been doing this for 25 years.
- 631. I know when someone's afraid.
- 632. Best-case scenario, that guy doesn't win.
- 633. And that's what we got here.
- 634. There's no shame in that. It's okay.
- 635. It's a small percentage of the population
that can do this, all right?
- 636. I get it.
- 637. But it's time to quit.
- 638. If those brakes don't turn out
to be glazed,
- 639. you're going home anyways.
- 640. He was right. The brakes are glazed.
- 641. Hey.
- 642. How'd you know that about the car?
- 643. I've spent hours setting up cars in GT.
- 644. You know, I know you think
it's just a simulator, but it's good.
- 645. Tomorrow's your shot.
- 646. Marcel's out.
- 647. You're in the final five.
- 648. Final race in the morning.
- 649. Yes!
- 650. Do you hear this?
- 651. Yeah.
- 652. Dude.
- 653. - Jann.
- 654. What the hell is that?
- 655. It's Kenny G.
- 656. Who's Kenny G?
- 657. Dude, we have a huge race tomorrow.
It's just chilling me out.
- 658. I'll turn it down.
- 659. Sorry.
- 660. Dude.
- 661. All right. This is it.
- 662. This is what it's all been leading to.
- 663. This is not a game.
- 664. This is a race.
- 665. All your weeks here at the GT Academy
have led to this,
- 666. and I've imparted to you
everything I know about racing.
- 667. Now it's time for you
to show me what you've got
- 668. and what kind of competitors you are.
- 669. There will be a winner.
- 670. And there will be...
- 671. losers.
- 672. Good luck.
- 673. It's a...
- 674. It's a family thing.
It's the team my dad used to play for.
- 675. It's just a game.
- 676. Course is green. Track is all clear.
- 677. All cars on the grid.
Safety vehicles released to the track.
- 678. You're playing a game. It's just a game.
- 679. When in doubt, throttle out.
- 680. You got this.
- 681. These cars are heavy and fast.
- 682. Control those vehicles.
- 683. Yes!
- 684. No!
- 685. Yes. Yes!
- 686. Completed lap 2.
- 687. Three laps to go.
- 688. Those are nice splits.
- 689. Try harder, Jann.
- 690. Damn it!
- 691. Yes.
- 692. Oh, there you are. Okay.
- 693. This is it. Final lap.
- 694. Come on, Jann.
- 695. Commit.
- 696. Commit!
- 697. Okay, you came to drive, Stretch!
- 698. No.
- 699. No!
- 700. No! No.
- 701. Come on, Jann.
- 702. Come on, Matty. Do it, baby. Come on.
- 703. Yes. Come on.
- 704. - Matty took it.
- No, wait, wait, wait.
- 705. No, no, no, hang on, hang on.
- 706. We gotta watch that back.
Can I get playback?
- 707. Guys.
- 708. Was that me that—?
- 709. Did I win? Who had that?
- 710. Mate, who won?
- 711. I don't know. I don't know.
- 712. Rewind a little.
- 713. Zoom in there.
- 714. No. Mardenborough won.
- 715. - Announce it.
- Hold on. Hold on.
- 716. Jack. Jack.
- 717. Is this really what we want?
- 718. Just look at this from
a high-level marketing perspective, okay?
- 719. Does Jann give us the best shot?
- 720. I don't know what that means. He won.
- 721. By a thousandth of a second.
- 722. Yeah, that's the difference
between winning and losing. Jann won.
- 723. Jann...
- 724. Look, he stumbles in front of the camera.
He's not press-ready. He's not confident.
- 725. The whole idea of this thing, Jack,
- 726. it hangs on one
of these two kids' shoulders.
- 727. Matty's a millionth of a second behind.
I mean, who cares?
- 728. He is ultimately our best pick
when you take him out into the world.
- 729. - Who won?
- 730. Yep. Copy that.
- 731. The winner is...
- 732. - You are the winner.
- 733. Way to go, Jann!
- 734. Well, and so it begins.
- 735. - Hello, sweetheart.
- 736. I kind of won GT Academy.
- 737. Really? That's amazing. I'm happy for you.
- 738. Yeah, it was amazing.
- 739. It was incredible.
You would have loved it.
- 740. - I wish you were here.
- I wish I was there too.
- 741. Where's Dad? I wanna tell him.
- 742. He's just left for Coby's game.
- 743. But I'll let him know.
- 744. I'm really proud of you.
- 745. Yeah. It's mental.
- 746. Yeah, they're taking me
on a Learjet to Vienna tomorrow.
- 747. I'll be watching.
- 748. And I love you.
- 749. I love you back.
- 750. A little bit of bubbly.
- 751. First time on a private jet.
Here, have a glass.
- 752. - Sweet. Thanks.
- Ah, sorry.
- 753. Champagne is for the podium only.
- 754. We'll take a couple beers.
Thank you very much.
- 755. That's fair. Let's save it for a win.
- 756. Nissan has agreed to fund you
through the Dubai enduro,
- 757. under the condition
you get your racing license.
- 758. So we'll start in the European series.
- 759. Yes.
- 760. You've gotta finish fourth place or better
in just one race of the series
- 761. to get your FIA license.
- 762. When you get that license,
Nissan will give you a contract.
- 763. You're not gonna be racing against gamers.
- 764. These guys are
legit professional athletes.
- 765. You don't have
the strength and the stamina
- 766. to compete at this level at this point,
but we'll get into all that.
- 767. For this one, though,
you gotta prove that you belong.
- 768. And nobody's gonna welcome you
into this world.
- 769. The other drivers, your pit crew,
- 770. nobody wants you there.
- 771. If you have any feedback about anything,
- 772. you're gonna tell me.
- 773. 'Cause the mechanics are going
to hate you.
- 774. Okay.
- 775. I'm gonna get some sleep
'cause I can't stand flying.
- 776. Get some rest.
- 777. He's fun.
- 778. Seriously...
- 779. Jack was a great racer.
- 780. I mean, possibly...
- 781. could have been one of the best Americans
of his generation, actually.
- 782. He quit.
- 783. Why?
- 784. Well, that's between you and him.
- 785. Yes.
- 786. Welcome to Vienna, Jann.
- 787. Welcome to Spielberg in Austria.
- 788. This one's got a bit of everything.
- 789. Heavy braking zones
but also a lot of fast sections.
- 790. I'll be on comms the whole time.
- 791. You'll be fine. Stay with me.
- 792. Good news. No one thinks we can do this,
so low expectations.
- 793. Hey.
- 794. You got this.
- 795. - Blankets off.
- 796. Comms check.
- 797. Yeah, got you.
- 798. All right, it's a rolling start.
Let's get those tires nice and warm.
- 799. They're trying to generate as much heat
in the tires as they possibly can.
- 800. I don't know exactly how much bandwidth
you have for this right now,
- 801. but I feel like we should talk
- 802. about some of the players
on the field today.
- 803. First of all, my favorite is the guy
in the gold lamé monstrosity over there.
- 804. That's Team Capa.
- 805. The guy in the white Audi
with the rainbows on it, that's Schulin.
- 806. He's gonna be the other bully
on the track today.
- 807. I think the thing you have to remember—
- 808. This is a first, a world first,
so we're already winning.
- 809. You gotta have nerves of steel
coming down into turn one,
- 810. as we approach the start line.
- 811. Okay, Jann, when that light turns green,
it's go time.
- 812. Green, green! Go, go, go!
- 813. All right, come on,
keep your nose in it. Let's do this.
- 814. Whoa, welcoming committee.
- 815. - On your left!
- What the—? Shit.
- 816. You're all right.
You're all right. Just breathe.
- 817. - Just breathe.
- Okay, come on, Jann.
- 818. Focus, focus, focus.
- 819. Let's go.
- 820. Heading into turn one,
they're tipping on 300 kilometers an hour.
- 821. Get out from behind him.
- 822. Take the inside! You'll be fine.
- 823. Cars explode all the time.
This is normal. Stay focused.
- 824. It's a disaster for the red Ferrari.
- 825. He's not used to this kind of stuff,
so he needs to focus.
- 826. Jack, how am I doing for fuel?
- 827. All right, low fuel.
Next time around, come in to gas up.
- 828. First pit stop
for Jann Mardenborough and Nissan.
- 829. Let's go, go, go!
- 830. Come on, come on!
- 831. It's much easier with a joystick,
- 832. Noob!
- 833. Hey, hey! Listen to me!
- 834. Keep it together out there, all right?
- 835. Breathe! I don't want you to oversteer!
- 836. I want you to keep it together!
- 837. That was pretty textbook
from the Nissan pit crew.
- 838. You've got a good run on him.
Pass him on the right.
- 839. Watch out for Nismo, coming up behind you!
- 840. No! You let him take the inside!
- 841. Shit! Damn gamer!
- 842. That's a great job
from Jann Mardenborough.
- 843. Hey. That was actually pretty great.
- 844. You're coming up on Capa.
He's right ahead.
- 845. Fourth place! All we gotta do is hold
and we got that license.
- 846. Where do you think you're going, amateur?
- 847. All right, watch out for Capa.
He's coming on your outside.
- 848. This guy plays dirty. Watch out for that.
- 849. I'm gonna nerf you, gamer.
- 850. Four back. Three back.
- 851. Goddamn it.
- 852. So it's a P-27 over the line
for Jann Mardenborough.
- 853. Possible naivete through the final...
- 854. Well, at least you finished.
I didn't even think you'd do that.
- 855. Noob.
- 856. It's an okay start.
- 857. There's still six more events this season,
so we'll qualify, all right?
- 858. So how are we feeling?
- 859. Are you still happy about
the choice we made?
- 860. Gotta give him some time.
- 861. All right. It's on you.
- 862. I'm sorry, man.
- 863. It's okay. First race. First race.
- 864. Yeah.
- 865. Crazy out there, isn't it?
- 866. It's insane.
- 867. All right, well...
- 868. We're gonna focus on strength,
we're gonna focus on endurance.
- 869. You're gonna feel better,
you're gonna feel stronger with each race.
- 870. Jack. Jack, hello? Is this working?
- 871. Jack! Hello? Jack! Hello.
- 872. Jack? Are you—?
Shit. I think my radio's broken.
- 873. Hello, Jack? Someone answer me!
- 874. I got a good feeling about this one.
- 875. You got this.
- 876. Another disappointing finish
- 877. Come on. Run, run, run!
- 878. Look alive, look alive!
Hey, watch the gravel trap.
- 879. Nicholas, Nicholas! Nicholas!
What's your take on SIM racers?
- 880. I'm worried, you know? They make it
less safe for the real drivers.
- 881. Do you think a SIM racer can ever win?
- 882. You won't see them on a podium.
- 883. Okay, that's enough for now.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
- 884. Come on.
Let us through, let us through.
- 885. Hey. Hey.
Don't worry about him, all right?
- 886. He's not a better driver than you.
- 887. He's got a bigger allowance.
- 888. Shit!
- 889. Whoa, don't let him take that line.
- 890. - Come on, he's pushing you wide.
- 891. Do it!
- 892. Whoopsie.
- 893. Shit!
- 894. The Dubai Autodrome, here in the UAE.
- 895. Is the car functioning all right?
- 896. Jann, is the car functioning okay?
- 897. Fine! The car's okay.
- 898. It's functioning, yes.
- 899. Okay. Okay, get back in the fight, then.
- 900. This is the last chance you have
to qualify for your license.
- 901. We have to finish at least fourth.
- 902. You're still in this race.
- 903. Take a deep breath.
- 904. Focus.
- 905. I know you can do this, Jann.
- 906. Capa and Schulin are up ahead.
- 907. You're gaining back.
- 908. He's threading the needle
between Capa and Schulin.
- 909. You back for more?
- 910. Jack, what is he doing?
- 911. Easy. Don't lose that line.
Don't lose that line.
- 912. Jack, they're boxing me in.
- 913. Well, then do something about it.
- 914. Hits the brakes, goes down to third!
- 915. What the—?
- 916. See you. Bye!
- 917. That's what I'm talking about!
- 918. Aw, shit!
- 919. Watch your six.
- 920. Oh, my God, he's gaining way
too much speed. What is he doing?
- 921. Shit! Capa's tire just shattered
- 922. Okay, pit now. Pit. Yellow's out.
- 923. Hey, you all right?
- 924. - Can you see through this thing?
- 925. Are you okay? Come this way, please.
- 926. Let's get you checked. How do you feel?
- 927. The safety team arriving...
- 928. It is all clear for Nick Capa.
He's absolutely furious.
- 929. Stay calm, all right?
- 930. - Ready to go!
- All right. Green. Go!
- 931. Stay ahead of Schulin!
- 932. Racing once again.
And we're right into the final lap.
- 933. You gotta hold Schulin off.
- 934. You're in fourth place,
but you gotta play defense.
- 935. Do not let him get under you
in these turns.
- 936. This is it. Last turn and final straight.
- 937. - Drop the hammer!
- Roger that.
- 938. Will the German get the better
of the young rookie?
- 939. Watch that checkered flag!
- 940. - Yes!
- 941. - Fuck!
- 942. Whoa, fourth!
- 943. That's your FIA license, kid.
- 944. Yes! Yes!
- 945. Yeah, baby!
- 946. Dude, what is your problem?
- 947. It's part of the game. It's called racing.
- 948. Are you for real? You almost killed me!
You almost killed me!
- 949. Do that again and watch what happens.
Try that shit again. I'm serious.
- 950. You almost killed me and yourself!
- 951. I'm serious!
- 952. Hey! Hey! You came in fourth!
- 953. You came in fourth!
- 954. - FIA license, baby!
- You got your license!
- 955. You did it! You did it! Forget that guy.
- 956. You broke your cherry!
- 957. You got your license!
- 958. Hey.
- 959. Got you a beer.
- 960. Thank you.
- 961. - So.
- 962. You were pretty damn good today.
- 963. - Don't sound so surprised.
- I am surprised.
- 964. I'm very surprised.
- 965. You got instincts. That can't be taught.
- 966. Did you feel it when you were out there?
- 967. That thing where time slows down,
- 968. and you feel like the car's on rails.
- 969. You feel like you can't make a mistake.
- 970. Feels like nothing and everything
at the same time.
- 971. Jesus, I miss that so much.
- 972. That's the only thing
I miss about being in the car.
- 973. Now I only get it when I, you know, listen
to early Black Sabbath or something.
- 974. Just, like, the bullshit fades away.
- 975. That's what you're listening to
on this thing?
- 976. - Black Sabbath?
- 977. You know, they make these
that hold more than eight songs.
- 978. I'm nostalgic, what do you want?
- 979. Hey, what are you gonna do
with that big ol' signing bonus?
- 980. I don't know.
- 981. I'll probably put it towards a flat.
- 982. You're such a nerd.
- 983. Why don't you take a bunch of it
and blow it on a first-class ticket
- 984. for that girl you're obsessed with
and fly her out here
- 985. to be there
for the signing event with you.
- 986. I don't have a girl.
- 987. You don't have a girl?
Who's the girl that you're looking at,
- 988. like, hundreds of pictures
on your phone all day long?
- 989. Who's that girl?
- 990. - You rookie.
- 991. Danny told me
you were an incredible driver.
- 992. Yeah?
- 993. Yeah. What was your favorite track?
- 994. Le Mans. Hands down.
- 995. - Really?
- 996. - Why?
- It's a perfect track.
- 997. Nowhere tests you like that.
- 998. You podium at Le Mans
and you live forever.
- 999. - You become immortal.
- Did you?
- 1000. No. I did not. I am still mortal.
- 1001. But I did race it. Once.
- 1002. What happened?
- 1003. You're the racer from today, right?
- 1004. Can we get your autograph?
- 1005. Yeah, sure.
- 1006. - You were amazing, by the way.
- Thank you so much.
- 1007. Can I get a selfie as well?
- 1008. - For sure.
- 1009. Jann. This is a surprise.
- 1010. You know, I was just watching
your story on Insta.
- 1011. Oh, really?
- 1012. Well, that's crazy.
- 1013. I was wondering how many times
I'd have to like them
- 1014. before you'd call me.
- 1015. Fifty, sixty times?
- 1016. Yeah, sorry.
I should have called sooner, but—
- 1017. It's okay. You've been busy.
- 1018. I was thinking about
that night that you left and...
- 1019. Yeah?
- 1020. I wish we'd got more time, you know?
- 1021. Jann, we have all the time in the world.
- 1022. Where do you wanna go?
- 1023. How is everybody?
- 1024. It's an absolute honor to meet you, sir.
- 1025. It took me a decade to prove
that Gran Turismo could work.
- 1026. This young man has proven it
in just one year.
- 1027. Jann.
- 1028. By signing this contract
- 1029. as a professional driver,
- 1030. you're showing not only gamers...
- 1031. but any kid who had a dream...
- 1032. that anything is possible.
- 1033. Welcome to Team Nissan.
- 1034. This way!
- 1035. - Jann-san. This way, please.
- Jann-san, please! Look this way.
- 1036. Thank you so much. Thank you, thank you.
- 1037. - Hey.
- 1038. Hey.
- 1039. Man of the hour.
- 1040. - Yeah, you came.
- Thanks for bringing me here.
- 1041. Do you have any time to enjoy Tokyo?
And what sights would you like to see?
- 1042. Yeah, I would like to see more of Tokyo.
I would love to.
- 1043. Guys, thank you so much. I think we've had
more than enough questions for now.
- 1044. Now get out while you can, guys, go.
- 1045. Quick, make a run for it. Enjoy the city.
- 1046. You and me dreamed of this in Wales,
- 1047. it's real.
- 1048. We manifested this.
- 1049. Yeah, maybe we did.
- 1050. Oh, cool.
- 1051. What are you looking at?
- 1052. Might buy a gift for a friend.
- 1053. Sake?
- 1054. After you.
- 1055. Or we could order something else.
- 1056. What is there?
- 1057. Champagne, maybe?
Celebrate your big signing?
- 1058. Champagne's for the podium.
- 1059. - Oh, okay.
- 1060. Noted, Mr. Big Shot.
- 1061. Thank you so much.
- 1062. Thank you.
- 1063. That's amazing.
- 1064. Man, that is amazing. That is so good.
- 1065. More, more, more.
- 1066. Most challenging circuit in the world.
So hard to remember.
- 1067. It is the most feared circuit
on planet Earth.
- 1068. It is, of course,
the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
- 1069. Why don't you check out
those numbers over there, all right?
- 1070. Hey.
- 1071. Hey.
- 1072. It's time.
- 1073. Yeah.
- 1074. You okay?
- 1075. Yeah.
- 1076. Here.
- 1077. What is this, my birthday?
- 1078. It's just, I don't know, something I saw.
- 1079. Open it later.
- 1080. Have a good one, mate.
- 1081. It's been an impressive start
to the season
- 1082. for the young lad from Wales,
- 1083. who just a month ago
placed fourth at Dubai Autodrome.
- 1084. He looks so young.
- 1085. Yeah, the Nordschleife is
the most challenging circuit
- 1086. and it's gonna be the biggest challenge
of Jann's career so far.
- 1087. All clear. Drop the car.
- 1088. You hear me in there?
- 1089. Loud and clear.
- 1090. Looking good, Jann. Smooth is fast.
- 1091. Smooth is fast.
- 1092. Very nice! Schulin down.
- 1093. Showing fantastic pace
from Jann Mardenborough
- 1094. as he's working his way up
through the field.
- 1095. Pit for fuel when you come around.
- 1096. Copy.
- 1097. What the hell?
- 1098. Yes! Yes! Yes!
- 1099. Was that his car?
- 1100. Oh, no!
- 1101. That is a terrifying accident
for Jann Mardenborough,
- 1102. and all we can do at this moment
is hope he's okay.
- 1103. We aren't sure of his condition.
May be still in the car.
- 1104. But we hope
that he and the spectators are okay.
- 1105. It's a horrible accident.
- 1106. Hey, wait!
- 1107. Stop, stop!
- 1108. Oh, no. Oh, Jann.
- 1109. My baby.
- 1110. I don't know how we're gonna
explain this to Nissan.
- 1111. There's got to be an investigation.
- 1112. That's what
you're thinking about right now?
- 1113. They could shut us down over this.
- 1114. - Okay. Somebody died.
- I understand.
- 1115. Hey.
- 1116. No, whoa, whoa.
- 1117. Hey. Come on.
You need to rest, you need to rest.
- 1118. I'm okay.
- 1119. What happened?
- 1120. It's not your fault, okay?
- 1121. It was a freak accident.
- 1122. Was someone hurt?
- 1123. A spectator.
- 1124. Did they die?
- 1125. It was an accident.
It is certainly not on you.
- 1126. It is on me.
- 1127. I should've pitted you sooner.
- 1128. - Oh, my God.
- 1129. You know why they call
that section Flugplatz?
- 1130. It means "airfield."
- 1131. Cars lift off there.
- 1132. With that headwind, it was like a sail.
It was a freak accident, Jann.
- 1133. Come on.
- 1134. I shouldn't have been there.
- 1135. Someone's dead
because racing is dangerous.
- 1136. - I was driving.
- Jann, you can't be blamed for this.
- 1137. Can you go? Can you go? I'm done.
- 1138. Jann, listen to me, okay?
- 1139. Get out!
- 1140. I'd like to start
by saying everybody at Nissan
- 1141. would like to extend their deepest
condolences to the family of the deceased.
- 1142. This was a tragic accident,
- 1143. and our hearts go out to them.
- 1144. Do you want me to come down there?
- 1145. I can.
- 1146. That's okay.
I'm not much fun at the moment.
- 1147. What about your family?
Have you spoken to them?
- 1148. We are, of course,
cooperating with the investigation,
- 1149. and we will provide racing officials
and the DMSB
- 1150. with any information that would help
prevent this from happening again.
- 1151. He should have never been on that track.
- 1152. And you should have stayed
where you belong.
- 1153. Under the hood.
- 1154. The hospital said
you were discharged with no injuries.
- 1155. Please let us come and see you.
- 1156. I'm not sure if I can do this.
- 1157. But, sweetheart,
you know it wasn't your fault, right?
- 1158. This could've happened to anybody.
- 1159. Yeah, but it happened to me.
- 1160. Do you wanna speak to your dad? Or Coby?
- 1161. What, so they can just say
they were right?
- 1162. He just wants to know you're okay.
- 1163. So do I, my baby.
- 1164. Let's go.
- 1165. You had asked me
what happened at Le Mans.
- 1166. I was in a wreck.
- 1167. It was a beautiful day.
- 1168. It was getting late in that first day,
- 1169. and I was coming out
of the Tertre Rouge corner.
- 1170. I was coming up on a Ford.
- 1171. As I passed him, I saw his car twitch.
- 1172. It was like a shiver.
- 1173. And then he lost control.
- 1174. Car flipped three times
before it hit the barrier.
- 1175. Caught on fire like that.
Medics came, pulled me out.
- 1176. My gloves were on fire,
but everything else...
- 1177. not a scratch.
- 1178. But that Ford was in a thousand pieces.
- 1179. Tony, the driver,
he died on the way to the hospital.
- 1180. They said it wasn't my fault.
- 1181. I never got behind the wheel
of a race car ever again.
- 1182. I lost my nerve.
- 1183. More than that, I lost the chance
to find out how good I could have been.
- 1184. I quit.
- 1185. I've had to live with that...
- 1186. my whole life.
- 1187. You wanna walk away...
- 1188. nobody would blame you.
- 1189. Most people would.
- 1190. I got a feeling you're not most people.
- 1191. I think you could be the best.
- 1192. But if you wanna prove it,
if you wanna be a driver,
- 1193. then you gotta get back on that track
and you gotta do it right now.
- 1194. Because if you don't, you never will.
- 1195. That crash is not gonna define
who you are.
- 1196. But how you respond to it...
- 1197. will.
- 1198. Finish your lap.
- 1199. All right, nice and easy.
- 1200. - Just hold the line.
- 1201. Give it a little speed.
Let's have some fun.
- 1202. You're okay.
- 1203. What's next?
- 1204. The racing commission has finally
come to their decision.
- 1205. Good news is they've cleared you.
- 1206. Yeah, it's great news.
What's the bad news?
- 1207. You looked at your phone lately?
- 1208. No.
- 1209. Capa and some of the other boys
have taken to Twitter
- 1210. to demand we have our license revoked.
- 1211. They even started
an anti-SIM driver campaign.
- 1212. Several of the other teams have jumped
on the bandwagon
- 1213. and are independently
launching cases against us.
- 1214. Gotta be kidding me.
- 1215. Could that work?
- 1216. Let's face it, it doesn't make it easy
for our sponsor to keep carrying us.
- 1217. Nissan is considering shutting us down.
- 1218. So...
- 1219. We gotta prove to them, we gotta prove
to everyone, that we belong.
- 1220. How?
- 1221. By placing on the podium at Le Mans
with a team of SIM drivers.
- 1222. I'm sorry. You're serious?
- 1223. Le Mans. You...
- 1224. - Podium at Le Mans.
- 1225. I mean, first thing is,
we'd need two other drivers.
- 1226. Matty and Antonio, they've both
been racing the lower circuits
- 1227. since GT Academy.
I mean, they can do it.
- 1228. I believe in you, Jann.
- 1229. You've driven this
a thousand times before in the game.
- 1230. You can do this in your sleep.
- 1231. You've done some amazing things, kid.
- 1232. But Le Mans is...
- 1233. It's a different animal.
- 1234. It's the most physically demanding,
- 1235. technically challenging race
in the entire world.
- 1236. It's dangerous.
- 1237. It tests you.
- 1238. I couldn't do it.
- 1239. But I know that you can.
- 1240. Do you know that you can?
- 1241. Let's be immortal.
- 1242. We in?
- 1243. Are you ready for it, Jann?
It's the big time, baby.
- 1244. - Yo.
- How's it going?
- 1245. Been watching the tour.
- 1246. You look good, Stretch.
- 1247. I don't feel so bad
for losing to you anymore.
- 1248. Hey, man, look.
- 1249. That wreck? It wasn't your fault.
- 1250. We got your back.
- 1251. I appreciate that.
- 1252. - Thank you, man.
- Yeah, bro.
- 1253. - Hey, guys.
- Are you boys ready for this?
- 1254. This car...
- 1255. it's a lot lighter, a lot faster
than the GT-Rs you've been driving.
- 1256. It's quicker in the corners,
- 1257. it requires more finesse, all right?
- 1258. You gotta get the feel
or you'll lock up, you'll spin out.
- 1259. Ah, whatever. You're gonna be fine.
- 1260. With millions tuning in,
it's the 24 Hours of Le Mans,
- 1261. the greatest race in the world.
- 1262. Are you ready? I'm excited.
- 1263. Good to see you, sir. How are you?
- 1264. Ready.
- 1265. Noobie.
- 1266. Thank you for coming.
- 1267. I...
- 1268. I didn't support you properly.
- 1269. I was trying to protect you. You know?
- 1270. So many fathers, so many parents...
- 1271. they have these kids
with these big, crazy dreams, you know?
- 1272. And that damn PlayStation thing,
I just don't understand that shit, Jann.
- 1273. I mean...
- 1274. But, hey,
- 1275. you did this.
- 1276. I'm so goddamn proud of you.
- 1277. I did this for you.
- 1278. I'm proud of you.
- 1279. I've got your back, my boy.
- 1280. Just to go over it again,
it's a 24-hour race.
- 1281. We start at 3 in the afternoon, daytime.
- 1282. We race all night into the next day.
- 1283. Race ends at 3.
- 1284. We start with three-hour shifts
instead of the normal four.
- 1285. Three, six, nine.
- 1286. No driver in Le Mans can race
more than 14 hours.
- 1287. I just wanna say something.
- 1288. When he came to me and said
he was gonna start this GT Academy,
- 1289. I thought all of you were completely nuts.
- 1290. But you made me a believer.
- 1291. Let's go show the world.
- 1292. - These guys were in the Academy with Jann.
- Right. Hi.
- 1293. - Hey, guys. This is Audrey.
- 1294. - Hi!
- 1295. - Hi. Nice to meet you. I'm Leah.
- 1296. Ladies and gentlemen, please rise
for the French national anthem.
- 1297. The French army has just arrived
- 1298. to deliver the flag which will be used
to give the start of the Le Mans 24 Hours.
- 1299. Gentlemen, start your engines.
- 1300. Let's go.
- 1301. One of the world's most iconic races,
the Le Mans 24,
- 1302. stands just moments away
at the Circuit de la Sarthe.
- 1303. And, Chenny, so many great stories
the length and breadth of this field,
- 1304. but for me the one that's taking
my focus right now
- 1305. is the incredible story at Nissan.
- 1306. Is the last chance the SIM racers get
in professional motorsport?
- 1307. There's an awful lot of pressure
on their shoulders.
- 1308. Nobody wins this thing
on the first lap, okay?
- 1309. You make your day, survive the night,
you live to fight tomorrow.
- 1310. Good luck.
- 1311. As the cars now leave the grid
for the formation lap
- 1312. here at the Circuit de la Sarthe,
- 1313. we are just moments away
from the start of this iconic race.
- 1314. We're underway already and, listen,
you've gotta be smart going into turn one.
- 1315. The tires are still cold.
Contact! Contact in the back!
- 1316. We've seen the BMW and the Aston Martin—
- 1317. Okay, here we go.
- 1318. Mulsanne Straight.
- 1319. You could hit a high of 340 kph here.
- 1320. You gotta build in enough time
to brake before chicane one.
- 1321. Yes, yes. Okay.
I've done this a thousand times.
- 1322. Well, not in reality.
- 1323. Watch your speed.
- 1324. Into the first chicane,
around the outside,
- 1325. and it's a lovely move put on there
by Jann Mardenborough.
- 1326. Watch those GT3s.
You're way faster than them.
- 1327. I see Schulin.
- 1328. Come on, Jann! Stay on him!
- 1329. On your left!
Ferrari's too slow. Watch out!
- 1330. No, no, no. No!
- 1331. He gets tapped by the Ferrari!
Schulin up in the air!
- 1332. Is he okay?
- 1333. What's he saying? Was it Jann?
- 1334. Schulin! Get out, get out, get out!
- 1335. Schulin climbs out of the car.
- 1336. Making his way out, and that's good
to see from the fire marshals.
- 1337. Safety car's out on the track.
- 1338. Stay focused.
- 1339. All right, they're pulling him out.
He seems all right. He seems all right.
- 1340. After that impact,
it's a miracle the car is in one piece
- 1341. and the driver could walk away.
- 1342. Get behind that safety car.
- 1343. Okay, keep your head in, all right? Focus.
- 1344. All right, safety's out, race back on.
Let's go, let's go!
- 1345. Come on!
- 1346. Come on, you hear me?
- 1347. Hey, buddy? Hey. Hey, Jann?
- 1348. Hey, stay with me.
Stay with me, okay? Stay with me.
- 1349. Look, safety's left, okay?
We gotta make up some time.
- 1350. Jann.
- 1351. Jann, talk to me, pal.
- 1352. Jann. Hey, hey, hey.
- 1353. Hey, Jann.
- 1354. Is it a car problem
or is it a head issue, Will?
- 1355. It would be early for anything
to be wrong with that car,
- 1356. which has shown good pace.
- 1357. Bitch.
- 1358. Shit.
- 1359. Jack!
- 1360. We need to bring him in.
- 1361. Then do something.
- 1362. Just get his head back in this game.
- 1363. Dude.
- 1364. Dude, what the hell? Turn it off.
- 1365. Turn it off!
- 1366. Now! Turn it off!
- 1367. Okay, let me just—
Oh, God, I don't know how to—
- 1368. I told you,
I don't how to work these things.
- 1369. Shit, Jack, turn it off now!
- 1370. Shit.
- 1371. Off.
- 1372. You mad, bro?
- 1373. Fucking yes!
- 1374. Yes, I'm mad!
- 1375. Yeah!
- 1376. Well, get mad! It's about time!
- 1377. Come on! Get in the fight!
- 1378. I know you're scared.
- 1379. I've been scared.
- 1380. Whether you like it or not,
you are in this race.
- 1381. So you take all that Kenny G anger
and you unleash it!
- 1382. You hear me?
- 1383. Yes, sir.
- 1384. All right.
- 1385. Go get 'em!
- 1386. It's like he suddenly remembered
he was a racing driver.
- 1387. Absolutely phenomenal display
by the debutante here in that Nissan.
- 1388. All right, all right.
- 1389. All right, coming up on Lotus.
Three seconds ahead.
- 1390. Let's make up some ground.
- 1391. You have the same power on the straight,
- 1392. but if you get in the corner,
you'll be able to pass him, all right?
- 1393. Okay, copy. Let me concentrate, old man.
- 1394. Yeah, all right. Roger that. Copy.
- 1395. Yes! Yes!
- 1396. Beautiful stuff from Jann Mardenborough
and from this Nissan team.
- 1397. Yes!
- 1398. All right.
- 1399. Now we only got 150 laps to go.
- 1400. He pulled that first stint back,
and Jann Mardenborough into the pits
- 1401. for the first driver change for Nissan.
- 1402. Fast out there, man. Let's go, Matty!
- 1403. Let's go, let's go, let's go!
- 1404. Adiós!
- 1405. As the sun goes down,
it's a whole new ballgame.
- 1406. Don't rush it.
- 1407. I'm gonna take the inside line, Jack.
- 1408. - Yeah! Yes!
- Yo, son!
- 1409. Yes!
- 1410. - Maybe you boys can actually drive.
- You know we can drive.
- 1411. Oh, yeah, jury's still out.
- 1412. You're in P-9.
- 1413. Get tires ready. Here we go.
Let's go, let's go, let's go.
- 1414. All leaders are on full wets.
- 1415. Jann's doing great, isn't he?
- 1416. - Do you think so?
- You joking? Mate, he's razing it!
- 1417. I can't believe it. He's doing amazing.
- 1418. Nice and softly, nice and smooth.
- 1419. Hey, boys!
- 1420. - How are you boys doing?
- Hey, man.
- 1421. - Jann, how you feeling?
- I feel good.
- 1422. - Yeah?
- 1423. Rest up.
- 1424. First light at Circuit de la Sarthe
at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- 1425. Here you are, Audrey. Got you a coffee.
- 1426. - Thanks.
- No worries.
- 1427. How's it looking?
- 1428. In fourth, but Antonio is losing ground.
- 1429. Not a lot of time left.
- 1430. Yeah,
Antonio Cruz clearly struggling there.
- 1431. - Hey.
- 1432. Antonio's cramping up.
We're gonna pit him early.
- 1433. You ready to bring this home?
- 1434. Let's go.
- 1435. How we looking?
- 1436. He's fallen back to fifth.
- 1437. All right, let's go, let's go, let's go.
- 1438. Get him in and get him out!
- 1439. You. Check the radiator.
- 1440. Come on, let's go!
- 1441. Son, take a seat.
- 1442. Change those tires!
Come on, we're losing time!
- 1443. Guys, what's going on?
- 1444. - I dropped it!
- Oh, my God, what is happening?
- 1445. Felix! What are you doing?
- 1446. - Guys!
- Felix, come on! Where's the spare?
- 1447. Damn it, we just lost our position.
What is happening?
- 1448. - Where's the spare? Where's the spare?
- Are you shitting me?
- 1449. Oh, my God.
- 1450. Come on!
- 1451. Look at that, it's Jack Salter
who comes to the rescue.
- 1452. - Always carry a spare.
- Sorry, sir.
- 1453. How much did that hurt us?
- 1454. We're running ninth, but...
- 1455. You're on great pace.
- 1456. Why don't you follow the race line?
- 1457. You see, the other guys,
they follow that line.
- 1458. So if I go wide like this,
- 1459. sometimes I beat them.
- 1460. Like that.
- 1461. Jack, do you remember where this
whole GT Academy idea thing comes from?
- 1462. Yeah, I'm listening.
- 1463. The whole point of this thing was
to show that GT drivers can drive.
- 1464. Okay? I know this track. I know the lines.
- 1465. The line is not optimal.
Let me drive it my way.
- 1466. - Now, wait a minute. The car won't hold.
- Wait, what's he saying?
- 1467. Yes, it will, Jack, okay?
- 1468. I need you to trust me.
- 1469. Do you trust me?
- 1470. - Please go back to the box.
- What's happening?
- 1471. - Jann! Listen.
- Get him out of here!
- 1472. Just finish the race.
- 1473. There's too much at stake.
It's too big of a risk.
- 1474. - You cannot be here. Let's go.
- All right!
- 1475. Danny, I didn't come here to finish.
- 1476. Sir, this is your last warning.
- 1477. I've got this, Danny.
- 1478. - Don't push me, pal.
- 1479. You know what, fuck it.
- 1480. Follow your line, Jann.
- 1481. Come on.
- 1482. - Holy shit!
- Yeah, Jann! Let's go!
- 1483. That's six.
- 1484. Five.
- 1485. Four.
- 1486. Come on, baby. Come on!
- 1487. It's like he's got a cheat mode engaged.
- 1488. He does. It's a new lap record!
- 1489. Holy shit!
- 1490. That's a new lap record for us!
- 1491. No, no, no.
That's a new lap record, full stop.
- 1492. Mardenborough is on a flyer.
- 1493. And we're just shy of 24 hours completed.
We find ourselves now on the final lap.
- 1494. You're P-4.
You're six seconds behind Capa.
- 1495. You're only four seconds out
from standing on that podium.
- 1496. - All right, you see him?
- Yes, I see him.
- 1497. Defend your position.
- 1498. Defend the podium.
- 1499. Buckle up.
- 1500. Don't try it, kid.
- 1501. Last turn, then straight to the finish.
- 1502. Come on, do your thing. Commit.
- 1503. Commit!
- 1504. Come on, punch it! Come on!
- 1505. Here they come!
Within sight of the grandstands as well.
- 1506. This is absolutely phenomenal.
- 1507. - It is far from over, this race.
- Come on!
- 1508. - He's gonna do it!
- Come on! Come on!
- 1509. Yes! Yes!
- 1510. It's Mardenborough! Mardenborough!
- 1511. That is a phenomenal finish
to this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans!
- 1512. - I cannot believe it.
- I am speechless.
- 1513. Holy shit!
- 1514. You did it!
- 1515. Holy shit!
- 1516. Yes!
- 1517. Listen, I will run your pit any day, noob.
- 1518. There you are.
- 1519. You're not just a SIM racer anymore.
You're one of the best in the world.
e best in the world.