- 1. Distributed by OFFICE KITANO
and NIPPON HERALD
- 2. BANDAI VISUAL, TV TOKYO,
- 3. and OFFICE KITANO present
- 4. TAKESHI KITANO - VOLUME 7
- 5. Produced by MASAYUKI MORI
- 6. Starring BEAT TAKESHI
- 7. and KAYOKO KISHIMOTO
- 8. Music by JOE HISAISHI
- 9. Written, Directed and Edited by
- 10. DROP DEAD!
- 11. Det. Horibe, were you and Nishi
classmates in junior high?
- 12. In senior high, too.
- 13. And your wives are friends, too?
- 14. That's right.
Do you remember, Nishi?
- 15. At the amusement park.
- 16. We picked them up, didn't we?
- 17. Nishi got the pretty one
- 18. and I got the dog.
- 19. What are you laughing at?
- 20. Hey, stop the car.
- 21. Go get some bean cakes.
- 22. Yes, sir.
- 23. How is your wife?
- 24. It's been two years, hasn't it?
- 25. My wife is healthy as hell,
but it must be tough for you.
- 26. Been to the hospital lately?
- 27. The stakeouts near the hospital.
Go see her.
- 28. Go on.
We don't have much to do today.
- 29. - How much?
- I,200 yen.
- 30. - For bean cakes?
- Yes, just the bean cakes.
- 31. Idiot! There's too much
for the 3 of us! You pay for it.
- 32. But...
- 33. These are the wrong ones.
- 34. - Were there any chestnut ones?
- 35. Not the hot spring kind!
- 36. It's straight to the amusement park
with no sleep for me tomorrow.
- 37. I spoil my daughter.
- 38. Smart place to park!
I can't even get out!
- 39. I'll go check.
- 40. Don't play ball here, you idiots!
- 41. Sorry!
- 42. Well?
- 43. No way he'd come here.
- 44. He won't come back to his apartment
after that massacre.
- 45. What's the chief thinking of?
- 46. I know.
- 47. Is that how you dress
for a stakeout?
- 48. You're not on a date.
- 49. Nishi's going to the hospital.
Can you stay on?
- 50. Well, I have a date...
- 51. Screw you!
- 52. How is Nishi's wife?
- 53. Not too good, I hear.
- 54. Is it cancer?
- 55. Watch what you say.
- 56. First their daughter died...
- 57. She was only 4 or 5, wasn't she?
- 58. That was a bigger shock
than her illness.
- 59. I visited his wife a while back.
- 60. She didn't say a word.
- 61. I'm glad my wife is so healthy.
- 62. Must be hard on Nishi.
- 63. Daughter dies, wife gets sick,
and he's a damn cop.
- 64. So busy he can't even visit her.
- 65. I'll stay on.
- 66. Not you, Tanaka.
You're a family man.
- 67. Come on, stay on for 3 hours.
- 68. No, I can't.
- 69. OK, I'll stay. You can go.
- 70. Can I get a lift?
- 71. How's your wife?
- 72. I'll go visit her some time.
- 73. Hello. It's me.
- 74. I'm not coming home tonight.
- 75. I know that.
- 76. What can I do? It's my job.
- 77. Let me talk to Michi.
- 78. Michi, it's daddy.
- 79. I'm at work.
- 80. The amusement park? Another time.
- 81. What? You drew a picture?
Where did you draw it?
- 82. You shouldn't do that.
- 83. Yes, it's very pretty.
- 84. - Drive me to Shibuya.
- I can't.
- 85. My date's waiting for me there.
- 86. No. I have to wait for him.
- 87. I'll go by cab then.
- 88. Is Nishi's wife really dying?
- 89. Dammit! Don't say that.
It's bad luck.
- 90. - Leukemia, right?
- Why don't you shut up?
- 91. Excuse me.
- 92. The doctor wants to speak to you.
- 93. Modern medicine
can't work miracles.
- 94. We've done all we can.
- 95. I think it would be better
to take her home.
- 96. The child's death was a real blow.
- 97. She'll be better off at home
than in the hospital.
- 98. Excuse me. Could you call Mr Nishi?
- 99. Just a moment.
- 100. Mr Nishi, someone to see you.
- 101. Det. Horibe's been shot.
- 102. Even when they're married,
- 103. people just think about themselves.
- 104. When I came home,
- 105. my wife and child
couldn't even look at me.
- 106. The light wasn't even on.
- 107. They just said goodbye.
- 108. Now that I'm a wreck
- 109. they leave me just like that.
- 110. Actually, it may be better this way.
- 111. But I've got nothing to do.
- 112. My mom says I should
take up a hobby or something.
- 113. Haiku.
- 114. She wanted me to join
a poetry group.
- 115. Give me a break.
- 116. Work is all I've ever known.
- 117. Since I live by the seaside,
- 118. maybe I should try painting.
- 119. But I've never painted anything.
- 120. I wouldn't know where to start.
- 121. And the materials don't come cheap.
- 122. Don't get me wrong.
It's not your fault.
- 123. Maybe I'll buy a beret.
- 124. Don't worry.
- 125. You're very kind.
- 126. After all, my husband
died in the line of duty.
- 127. Because of the recession,
good jobs are hard to come by,
- 128. but I'm helping out at a deli.
- 129. The hardest part is...
- 130. when my son tells me
he misses his dad.
- 131. It's so sad...
- 132. But I'm sure he'll understand soon.
- 133. We'll be OK.
- 134. I have to get back to work.
- 135. I've decided...
- 136. to get married.
- 137. Who to?
- 138. I really wasn't serious about her,
- 139. but when I was injured,
she visited me every day.
- 140. I was touched by that.
- 141. Can you answer that?
- 142. Excuse me.
- 143. Kudo speaking.
- 144. The other day,
- 145. I went to see Mr Horibe.
- 146. He seemed so lonely.
- 147. They were
such a close-knit family...
- 148. but his wife and child left him.
- 149. You know,
you really shouldn't feel guilty...
- 150. Tanaka's death
isn't your fault either.
- 151. He died in the line of duty.
- 152. It's nobody's fault.
- 153. This way, please.
- 154. Shut up!
- 155. - Yes, sir?
- Shut up!
- 156. Hey, Nishi.
- 157. The boss is mad. You haven't paid
the interest this month.
- 158. You better pay up!
- 159. You know what we yakuza are like!
- 160. After all, you were a cop.
- 161. Without the badge,
he's just an ordinary guy.
- 162. He's less than that - he's a bum.
- 163. How's your wife?
- 164. Here are her usual pills.
- 165. But I don't think
they'll do her much good.
- 166. Don't think about it too much.
- 167. When you're with her,
talk to her as much as possible.
- 168. You could even take her on a trip.
- 169. If anything happens, call me.
- 170. Here's a shirt for you.
- 171. It might be too big for you,
but you can have it.
- 172. Please try to be more careful.
- 173. Hello.
- 174. It's Horibe...
- 175. He attempted suicide.
- 176. Luckily his landlord found him.
- 177. I think he'll make it,
- 178. but he took
- 179. a lot of sleeping pills.
- 180. Are his wife and daughter there?
- 181. He's asleep now.
- 182. He should be OK
in a couple of days.
- 183. Shall we go?
- 184. - Let me out here.
- I'll take you home.
- 185. It's OK. I'll get out.
- 186. Stop the car.
- 187. What sort of a detective
was Mr Nishi?
- 188. He was a great cop.
- 189. Decorated lots of times.
- 190. He and Mr Horibe were a great team.
- 191. Whenever Mr Horibe got too rough,
Mr Nishi would stop him.
- 192. You haven't even paid back your debt
and you want another 4 million!
- 193. Why should we lend it to you?
You can't even pay the interest.
- 194. You poked my guy's eye out.
Who's going to pay for that?
- 195. - Is that a loan, too?
- Forget it!
- 196. If he can't pay us back,
he can work for us.
- 197. What do you have in mind?
- 198. He could be my bodyguard.
- 199. Great idea!
- 200. He keeps shooting
when the other guy's gun
- 201. is empty.
- 202. But when Mr Nishi really lost it,
he was more frightening.
- 203. Like that time...
- 204. when he emptied his gun
into a corpse.
- 205. Hello.
- 206. How are you?
- 207. Doing all right.
- 208. Watch out, asshole!
- 209. I had the right of way!
- 210. On narrow roads,
big cars should yield!
- 211. - Are you crazy?
- 212. - Driving such a tiny car!
- What's it to you?
- 213. - Fix it yourself.
- Mind your business!
- 214. - Want some more?
- 215. Well?
- 216. I'm sorry.
- 217. Are you done?
- 218. - What's going on?
- He's in a coffee shop.
- 219. He has a gun and with all
these people, we can't do a thing.
- 220. How's Horibe?
- 221. Don't know yet.
He's at the hospital.
- 222. He got hit in the belly.
- 223. What are you doing?
- 224. Can you sell me that light?
- 225. You mean the police light?
- 226. What do you want it for?
- 227. I'm thinking of robbing a bank.
- 228. Sounds great!
- 229. Take it. You can have it.
- 230. Good luck.
- 231. Do some work,
you glue-sniffing bum!
- 232. You want 500,000 for this?
- 233. No, not this one.
- 234. The other one.
- 235. What other one?
- 236. This one.
- 237. But it's a taxi cab!
- 238. It's mine.
- 239. How come?
- 240. - It belongs to me.
- You didn't steal it?
- 241. No, it's mine.
- 242. - How old are you?
- 243. You can't get a cab license at 20!
- 244. I'll call the cops!
- 245. The fender's a bit dented,
but you can have it for 200,000.
- 246. This car is hot.
- 247. How about 50, 000?
- 248. What happened at the bar?
- 249. Like I said, the waiter apologized
- 250. for spilling soy sauce on my jacket.
- 251. And gave you 100,000 yen!
- 252. It was an Armani suit and...
- 253. Armani? You're kidding!
- 254. Genuine Armani.
- 255. And?
- 256. And I needed
some money for the taxi and...
- 257. For the taxi?
- 258. 100,000 yen for the taxi! Where to?
- 259. Oita, on the southern isle.
- 260. Don't bullshit me.
- 261. Do you take us for fools?
- 262. - He offered it to me.
- That's extortion!
- 263. Not at all.
- 264. Cut the crap!
- 265. I'll throw this in, too.
- 266. Hi!
- 267. Can I help you?
- 268. You're just a yakuza loan shark!
- 269. An expert at dirty tricks.
- 270. You borrow money off me
and call me a loan shark!
- 271. Well, aren't you? You don't
respect the terms of the contract.
- 272. Your interest rate's outrageous.
You can wait a while!
- 273. You've been saying that
for months, you bastard!
- 274. We're running a business!
- 275. You can't get blood from a stone.
- 276. Want a bullet in your head?
- 277. I dare you, you two-bit punk!
- 278. What do you want, boy?
- 279. Good luck with the bank robbery.
- 280. Miss...
- 281. I found it there. How much?
- 282. You can have it. It's junk.
- 283. Junk, huh? ls the rest junk, too?
- 284. - What are you doing?
- Salvaging junk.
- 285. What do you mean "junk"?
- 286. Isn't this junk?
- 287. It's merchandise, asshole!
- 288. Hey, I recognize you!
- 289. Hey! I've been hit!
- 290. Hey, wait!
- 291. Stupid cop, wait!
- 292. I'm a hit-and-run victim!
- 293. You waste of public money!
- 294. I should've sold it for 200,000.
- 295. Wake up!
- 296. 8 of hearts.
- 297. 4 of clubs.
- 298. Queen of diamonds.
- 299. 10 of hearts.
- 300. Ace of diamonds.
- 301. Queen of clubs.
- 302. Crunchy chocolate!
- 303. Good bye.
- 304. Thank you very much.
- 305. Why don't you keep it?
- 306. I'm sure he wants you to.
- 307. Mr Nishi was really worried
- 308. Good bye.
- 309. I can't believe it!
He paid back all his debts!
- 310. Did he rob a bank?
- 311. No, he wouldn't do that!
- 312. Right. He's not like you!
- 313. To make a fortune,
I'd play the stock market.
- 314. - Extort companies?
- Don't use that word!
- 315. The boss is a legit businessman.
- 316. A businessman packing a piece!
- 317. Nobody home.
- 318. Did you ask the neighbors?
- 319. Go ask them, you fool!
- 320. More! A bit more!
- 321. More, I said!
- 322. Look.
- 323. What a big bell!
- 324. Look at the size of it!
- 325. It goes "gong" when you hit it.
- 326. You can't hit it now.
- 327. But you'll hear it this evening.
- 328. Well, it's time to go home now.
- 329. All this free time is tough.
- 330. I paint pictures to kill time,
- 331. but I'm only an amateur.
- 332. I can't find anything to paint.
- 333. Hasn't Mr Nishi been in touch?
- 334. Not recently.
- 335. But he sent me
some art materials a while ago.
- 336. I didn't know what to say.
- 337. With his wife sick,
he must be very busy.
- 338. To be honest...
- 339. I don't think
his wife has long to live.
- 340. But in a way,
he's better off than me.
- 341. What are you giving them water for?
- 342. Those flowers are dead.
- 343. Hey, it's no use
watering dead flowers!
- 344. Did you get ditched by a guy
and lose your mind?
- 345. I'll be right back.
- 346. Boss says you forgot the interest.
- 347. Go on, shoot me, punk.
- 348. Go on.
- 349. Open your mouth.
- 350. Next time, I'll kill you.
- 351. There! Italian-style cooking.
- 352. Step on it!
- 353. Go on!
- 354. No. Forward!
- 355. Forward!
- 356. Why did you want to see the snow?
- 357. It's freezing cold.
- 358. You're going to catch a cold.
- 359. My hand hurts.
- 360. Can't you hold it?
- 361. Go over there.
- 362. Don't worry. I'll keep watch.
- 363. Just you?
- 364. Don't you want one
with your husband?
- 365. Ready?
- 366. Smile.
- 367. Cheese!
- 368. A souvenir for you.
Enjoy your stay.
- 369. Excuse me.
- 370. There's someone to see you.
- 371. What do you want?
- 372. The boss is here. Come with me.
- 373. - Where are we going?
- You'll find out.
- 374. Come with me.
- 375. Sorry about your eye.
- 376. How much money do you have left?
- 377. Why don't you hand the rest over
- 378. After prison
you'll get it back with interest.
- 379. I warned you.
- 380. Shove him in and close the door.
- 381. I saw them...
- 382. the yakuza corpses...
- 383. Can you wait a moment?
- 384. Just a moment.
- 385. I could never live like that.
- 386. Thank you.
- 387. Thank you for everything.
- 388. Nishi's wife:
- 389. Junkyard owner:
- 390. Yakuza hitman: HAKURYU
- 391. His widow: YUKO DAIKE
- 392. KEN'ICHI YAJIMA
- 393. Produced by MASAYUKI MORI
- 394. Lighting Director:
- 395. Art Director: NORIHIRO ISODA
- 396. Written and Directed by