- 1. I'm voting for Dukakis.
- 2. Hm...
- 3. Well...
- 4. Maybe when you have children
who need braces
- 5. and half of your husband's pay cheque
goes to the government, you'll regret that.
- 6. My husband's pay cheque?
- 7. I'm not squeezing one out till I'm 30.
- 8. Will you still be at the Yarn Barn?
That's a great place to raise children.
- 9. - That's really funny.
- I think a year of partying's enough.
- 10. - She's going to Harvard next fall.
- I haven't gotten in yet.
- 11. You think Dukakis will provide for America
till you squeeze one out?
- 12. Yeah, I do.
- 13. - When can I squeeze one out?
- Eighth grade.
- 14. Excuse me.
- 15. Donnie, you're such a dick.
- 16. Whoa, Elizabeth! A little hostile there.
- 17. Maybe YOU should be in therapy,
- 18. then Mum and Dad can pay someone to listen
to YOUR thoughts so we don't have to.
- 19. OK. Tell us why
you stopped taking your medication.
- 20. You're such a fuck-ass!
- 21. - Please.
- Did you just call me a fuck-ass?
- 22. - That's enough.
- Go suck a fuck!
- 23. - How does one suck a fuck?
- Shall I tell you?
- 24. - Please.
- Not at the dinner table.
- 25. - Stop.
- 26. What's a fuck-ass?
- 27. I took a year off to be with you.
- 28. - What?
- How did you know?
- 29. - I didn't know it was a big deal.
- It is a big deal.
- 30. I'm reading. Get out.
- 31. Where do you go at night?
- 32. - Just get out.
- Did you toilet-paper the Johnsons' house?
- 33. - Is that why you're here?
- 34. - I stopped rolling houses in the sixth grade.
- Where's my son? I don't recognise you.
- 35. Then you take the goddamn pills.
- 36. Bitch.
- 37. Our son just called me a bitch.
- 38. You're not a bitch.
- 39. You're bitchin', but you're not a bitch.
- 40. 'I want to be a president who makes sure
- 41. 'that we never again do business
with a drug-running Panamanian dictator
- 42. 'or funnel aid to the Contras
through drug dealers.
- 43. 'Values begin at the top.'
- 44. Dukakis... Son of a bitch.
- 45. 'Those are the values I want to bring
to the presidency and to the White House.'
- 46. - 'Panama is a friendly country.'
- Tell him, George.
- 47. 'I talked to the president of Panama
about their money laundering.
- 48. 'Mr Noriega was there,
but there was no evidence.
- 49. 'When the evidence was there, we indicted him.'
- 50. 'Wake up.
- 51. 'I've been watching you.'
- 52. 'Come closer.
- 53. 'Closer.'
- 54. 28 days...
- 55. six hours...
- 56. 42 minutes...
- 57. 12 seconds.
- 58. That is when the world will end.
- 59. Why?
- 60. Son?
- 61. Son? Donnie Darko?
- 62. Donnie Darko?
What the heck's going on here?
- 63. - Who is it?
- It's Eddie Darko's kid.
- 64. He's just a neighbourhood kid.
- 65. Guess he was sleep-golfing?
- 66. Watch out for that drool spot!
- 67. Are you all right, son?
- 68. So let's stay off the links at night, OK?
- 69. I'm sorry, Dr Fisher.
It... It won't happen again.
- 70. - Kids...
- Let's golf.
- 71. - No one's allowed.
- This is my house.
- 72. - I said...
- This is my house!
- 73. Wait a minute.
- 74. - Here's your brother.
- It fell in your room.
- 75. Ms Darko? I'm Bob Garland. I'm with the FAA.
- 76. - The what?
- I'm with the FAA. May we speak privately?
- 77. - In private?
- 78. - And here...
- 79. All right, we have arranged a hotel.
Get some sleep and we'll take care of this.
- 80. - Great.
- Thank you.
- 81. Kids, come on. We're going to a hotel.
- 82. They don't know where it came from.
- 83. - Where's Pop?
- He's still at work.
- 84. If it fell from the plane...
what happened to the plane?
- 85. They don't know, Samantha.
- 86. Can't we make money from this?
Can't we sue the airline?
- 87. Shut up, Sam.
- 88. Why do I have to sleep with Donnie?
- 89. When you fall asleep tonight,
- 90. - I'm gonna fart in your face.
- I'm telling Mum!
- 91. Samantha, don't go over there.
- 92. Frankie Feedler.
- 93. You remember. From high school.
- 94. Hm... Mm-hm.
- 95. He died. Remember?
- 96. Mm-hm.
- 97. On his way to the prom.
- 98. They said he was doomed.
- 99. Jesus.
- 100. They could be saying
the same thing about Donnie.
- 101. Our Donnie.
- 102. - But he dodged it.
- 103. He dodged his photograph.
- 104. Hm...
- 105. Hm.
- 106. Somebody was watching over him.
- 107. Mrs Farmer will bring you home
after practice. Bye, honey.
- 108. Donnie... good luck.
- 109. - Oh, my God! Tell me everything.
- I'm not allowed to talk about it.
- 110. - Oh, my God!
- Hi, Cherita.
- 111. - Shut up!
- Darko cheats death! Huh?
- 112. You're a celebrity! I called you
a jillion times. Where you been?
- 113. - At a hotel.
- Dad saw you at the golf course.
- 114. - You sleepwalking again, buddy?
- I don't want to talk about it.
- 115. Now that you're famous, have a smoke.
- 116. What happens if you tell Mum and Dad, Sam?
- 117. - You'll put Ariel in the garbage disposal.
- Goddamn right, I will.
- 118. - So grody.
- Hey, Cherita, you want a cigarette?
- 119. - Shut up!
- "Shut up!"
- 120. Go back to China, bitch!
- 121. Just leave her alone.
- 122. - That's some good shit, huh?
- It's a fucking cigarette.
- 123. "There would be headlines in the papers.
- 124. "The grown-up gangs who ran the betting
at the wrestling and the barrow-boys
- 125. "would hear with respect of how
Old Misery's house had been destroyed.
- 126. "It was as though this plan had been with him
all his life, pondered through the seasons,
- 127. "now, in his 15th year,
crystallised with the pain of puberty."
- 128. What is Graham Greene
trying to communicate with this passage?
- 129. Why did the children
break into Old Misery's house?
- 130. - Joanie?
- They wanted to rob him.
- 131. If you had actually read the short story,
which was a whopping 13 pages,
- 132. you'd know that the children find a great deal
of money in the mattress, but burn it.
- 133. Donnie Darko, perhaps
with your recent brush with mass destruction,
- 134. you can give us your opinion.
- 135. They say it when they flood the house,
when they tear it to shreds,
- 136. that destruction is a form of creation,
so burning the money is ironic.
- 137. They just want to see what happens
when they tear the world apart.
- 138. They want to change things.
- 139. - May we help you?
- Yeah, I just registered.
- 140. - They put me in the wrong class.
- You look like you belong here.
- 141. Um... Where do I sit?
- 142. Sit next to the boy you think is the cutest.
- 143. Quiet!
- 144. Let her choose.
- 145. Joanie, get up.
- 146. 'What people don't understand is that Dukakis
does not have the financial infrastructure...'
- 147. Well, the construction guys say
it will take about a week to fix the roof.
- 148. Airline better not fuck us
on the shingle match.
- 149. - They still don't know?
- Know what?
- 150. - Where it came from?
- Oh, no. They can't tell us.
- 151. Something about a matching serial number
that got burned.
- 152. I had to sign a form
saying I wouldn't talk to anyone about it.
- 153. So we can't tell anyone what nobody knows?
- 154. Yeah. But you tell...
What's your doctor's name?
- 155. - Dr Thurman, Dad.
- Yes. Tell Dr Thurman whatever you want.
- 156. - Dad.
- 157. - Dad!
- 158. What's that woman doing
in the middle of the damn road?
- 159. No mail today. Maybe tomorrow.
- 160. What did she say to you?
- 161. - I made a new friend.
- Real or imaginary?
- 162. - Imaginary.
- Would you like to talk about this friend?
- 163. - Frank.
- 164. - What did he say?
- He said to follow him.
- 165. - Follow him? Where?
- Into the future.
- 166. And then what happens?
- 167. And then he said... then he said
that the world was coming to an end.
- 168. Do you think the world is coming to an end?
- 169. No.
- 170. That's stupid.
- 171. 'For my entire life,
I was a victim of my own fear.'
- 172. 'Love.'
- 173. 'I was feeding fear with food.'
- 174. 'Fear.'
- 175. 'Finally, I looked in the mirror.
- 176. 'Not just in the mirror.
I looked THROUGH the mirror.
- 177. 'In that image, I saw my ego reflection.'
- 178. 'For two years, I thought it was normal
for a 10-year-old to wet the bed...'
- 179. Shh! Quiet!
- 180. 'But the solution was there all the time.'
- 181. 'I'm not afraid any more!'
- 182. 'All over America,
people have come together to join hands.
- 183. 'People who believe that human life
is absolutely too important,
- 184. 'too valuable and too precious
to be controlled by fear.
- 185. 'Pay close attention.
You could miss something.'
- 186. Hello. My name is Jim Cunningham.
And welcome to "Controlling Fear".
- 187. "... and the prince was led into a world
of strange and beautiful magic."
- 188. Wow.
- 189. "The Last Unicorn" by Samantha Darko.
- 190. - Give it back!
- "There was once a unicorn named Ariel..."
- 191. - You wrinkled it.
- It's not wrinkled, Sam.
- 192. It's 7.45. The bus should've been here
20 minutes ago.
- 193. Maybe Martha finally went nuts
and hijacked it.
- 194. There's this rule -
at 7.45, we get to go home.
- 195. There's no rule.
- 196. Cherita, you should... go home.
- 197. Yeah, if you're here
when the bus comes, we'll get in trouble.
- 198. - Shut up!
- "Shut up!"
- 199. Hey, Porky Pig... I hope you get molested.
- 200. Hey! Hey! I can't believe this!
- 201. School's closed today because it's flooded.
- 202. - No way!
- 203. Holy shit! That's the best news ever!
- 204. My God, is this ever going to stop?
- 205. Eventually, yes. But right now,
I got 12 classrooms full of water.
- 206. All coming from a busted water main.
- 207. - What else?
- What else?
- 208. Principal Cole, I'll show you what else.
- 209. That's unbelievable.
That's solid bronze, isn't it?
- 210. - Yep.
- How did this happen?
- 211. I heard a cat burglar trashed everything
and the Mongrel got his head cut off.
- 212. - Hah!
- 213. Beth's mum said the boys' locker room flooded
and they found faeces everywhere.
- 214. - What are faeces?
- Baby mice.
- 215. Hey.
- 216. Has anyone ever told you that you're sexy?
- 217. I like your boobs.
- 218. Hey.
- 219. School's cancelled.
- 220. Do you want to walk me home?
- 221. Sure.
- 222. - Don't look so freaked.
- I'm not.
- 223. Check your backpack. Those guys steal shit.
- 224. Fuck 'em!
- 225. - So, why'd you move here?
- My parents got a divorce.
- 226. My mum got a restraining order against
my stepdad. He has emotional problems.
- 227. I have those, too. What kind does he have?
- 228. He stabbed my mum four times in the chest.
- 229. Oh. Did he go to jail?
- 230. No, he fled. They still can't find him.
- 231. Mum and I had to change our names.
I thought Gretchen Ross was pretty cool.
- 232. I was in jail once. I mean...
I burned down this house.
- 233. It was abandoned, but I got held back
in school and I can't drive till I'm 21.
- 234. But I'm over all of that.
- 235. I'm... painting and stuff.
- 236. Writing. I want to be a writer.
Maybe a painter. Maybe both...
- 237. I'll write a book and draw the pictures.
- 238. Then maybe people will understand me.
I don't know, change things.
- 239. Donnie Darko - what the hell kind of name
is that? It's like a superhero or something.
- 240. What makes you think I'm not?
- 241. I should go. For physics,
Montinoff is having me write this essay -
- 242. the greatest invention
ever to benefit mankind.
- 243. It's Monnitoff.
But that's easy. Antiseptics.
- 244. Like, the whole sanitation thing.
Joseph Lister, 1895.
- 245. Before antiseptics, there was no sanitation,
especially in medicine.
- 246. You mean soap?
- 247. Well, I'm really glad
school was flooded today.
- 248. Why is that?
- 249. We'd never have had this conversation.
- 250. You're weird.
- 251. Sorry.
- 252. No, that was a compliment.
- 253. Well, look, uh...
- 254. You want to go with me?
- 255. - Where do you want to go?
- No, I mean, like, "go" with me.
- 256. - You know, like "going together".
- 257. OK. Where are you going?
- 258. I'm going home.
- 259. Stupid...
"Where are you going?"
- 260. I'd like to try something new.
- 261. Have you ever been hypnotised?
- 262. No.
- 263. When I clap twice, you will wake up.
Do you understand?
- 264. - Yes.
- So, tell me about your week.
- 265. I met a girl.
- 266. What is her name?
- 267. Gretchen.
- 268. We're going together now.
- 269. Do you still think about girls a lot?
- 270. Yeah.
- 271. - How are things going at school?
- I think about girls a lot.
- 272. I asked you about school, Donnie.
- 273. I think about fucking a lot during school.
- 274. - What else do you think about during school?
- "Married With Children".
- 275. - You think about your family?
- I just turn down the volume
- 276. and think about fucking Christina Applegate.
- 277. I asked you about your family.
- 278. No.
- 279. I don't think about fucking my family.
- 280. I'd like to hear about your friend Frank.
- 281. Sam Bylan.
- 282. Cherita Chen.
- 283. Donald Darko.
- 284. Daye Dennis.
- 285. Hey, you fuck!
- 286. Did you say I flooded the school?
- 287. - I didn't say shit.
- Yeah, well, they think I did it.
- 288. If you're innocent,
then you have nothing to worry about, right?
- 289. Fuck you! You know what I think?
- 290. I think you did it.
- 291. Beer and pussy - that's all I need.
- 292. - We gotta find ourselves a Smurfette.
- 293. Mm-hm.
Not some tight-ass Middlesex chick.
- 294. Like, this cute little blonde that'll
get down with the guys like Smurfette does.
- 295. Smurfette doesn't fuck.
- 296. That's bullshit.
Why do you think Papa Smurf made her?
- 297. Because the other Smurfs
were getting too horny.
- 298. - Not Vanity. I heard he was a homosexual.
- Then she fucks them while Vanity watches.
- 299. What about Papa Smurf?
He must get some action?
- 300. What he does, he films the gang-bang.
Later on, he beats off to the tape.
- 301. First of all, Papa Smurf
didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did.
- 302. She was sent as Gargamel's evil spy
to destroy the Smurf village,
- 303. but the overwhelming goodness
of the Smurfs transformed her.
- 304. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario,
it just couldn't happen!
- 305. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have
reproductive organs under those little pants.
- 306. That's what's so illogical
about being a Smurf.
- 307. What's the point of living
if you don't have a dick?
- 308. Donnie, why you gotta get smart on us?
- 309. Grandma Death.
- 310. Excuse me! Excuse me!
- 311. Please stay off the road, Miss Sparrow,
or I will call Social Services.
- 312. I hate that Miss Farmer.
She's such a fucking bitch!
- 313. Yeah.
- 314. - How old is Grandma Death?
- 315. She does the same thing every day.
- 316. Just walks back and forth
and back and forth to the mailbox.
- 317. Nothing ever in there.
- 318. Oh, wait, wait, wait...
- 319. She's going back to the box.
We may still have mail.
- 320. - Mail, mail, mail.
- Here it is.
- 321. This could be it. Oh...?
- 322. - Oh, no dice, Grandma. Sorry.
- Someone ought to write that bitch.
- 323. 'Authorities continued their search
- 324. 'for a suspect
in the Middlesex Ridge School vandalism.
- 325. 'The private school has asked
for donations to restore its beloved mascot,
- 326. 'known only as the Mongrel...'
- 327. It's very helpful.
There's a good turnout tonight.
- 328. What are you trying to accomplish here?
- 329. There was urine and faeces
flooded in my office.
- 330. Whatever fits.
- 331. "Whatever fits"?
- 332. In cooperation with the county police,
- 333. we have begun an active investigation
into the cause of the flooding.
- 334. And our suspects
include several of our own students...
- 335. I want to know why this filth
is being taught to our children.
- 336. Kitty, I would appreciate if you would wait...
- 337. Dr Cole, not only am I a teacher,
but I am also a parent of a Middlesex child.
- 338. Therefore I am the only person here
who transcends the parent-teacher bridge.
- 339. 'Don't worry. You got away with it.'
- 340. I have in my hand Graham Greene's
- 341. This short story is part
of my daughter's English assignment.
- 342. In this story, several children destroy
an elderly man's house from inside out.
- 343. How can you do that?
- 344. And how do they do this? They flood the house
by breaking through a water main.
- 345. 'I can do anything I want.
- 346. 'And so can you.'
- 347. And I think
that this garbage should be removed!
- 348. Excuse me. What is the real issue here?
The PTA doesn't ban books.
- 349. The PTA must acknowledge that pornography
is being taught in our curriculum!
- 350. - It's meant to be ironic.
- Excuse me. Go back to grad school.
- 351. Why did you make me flood the school?
- 352. They are in great danger.
- 353. Do you even know who Graham Greene is?
- 354. I think we have all seen "Bonanza".
- 355. Well, um... while we are on other topics...
- 356. Where do you come from?
- 357. 'Do you believe in time travel?'
- 358. Who are you talking to?
- 359. I was just taking my pills, Sam.
- 360. A storm is coming, Frank says.
- 361. A storm that will swallow the children,
- 362. And I will deliver them
from the kingdom of pain.
- 363. I'll deliver them back to their doorsteps,
send the monsters back to the underground.
- 364. I'll send them back to a place
where no one else can see them.
- 365. Except for me.
- 366. Because I am Donnie Darko.
- 367. Who is Frank?
- 368. A six-foot-tall bunny rabbit.
- 369. 'In these modern times, our attitude
and beliefs are so delicate, so fragile.'
- 370. 'I have had a Cunning Vision.
This vision has released me.'
- 371. 'It's important that our lifeline be
rejuvenated, so that we can breathe again.
- 372. 'It's time to breathe.'
- 373. 'It is time to breathe.'
- 374. 'Thank you, Jim Cunningham.'
- 375. 'So now let us begin Lifeline Exercise
Number One. Please press stop now.'
- 376. As you can see, the lifeline
is divided into two polar extremes.
- 377. Fear and love.
- 378. Fear is in the negative energy spectrum.
- 379. - Love is in the positive energy spectrum.
- No, duh.
- 380. Excuse me?
"No, duh" is a product of fear.
- 381. Now, on each card is a character dilemma
which applies to the lifeline.
- 382. Please... Take this. Thank you.
- 383. Please read each character dilemma aloud
- 384. and place an X on the lifeline
in the appropriate place.
- 385. Cherita?
- 386. "Juanita has an important math test today.
- 387. "She's known about the test
for several weeks, but has not studied.
- 388. "In order to keep from failing,
Juanita decides to cheat on the math test."
- 389. Good. Good. Very good.
- 390. Mr Darko.
- 391. "Ling Ling finds a wallet filled with money.
- 392. "She takes it to the address
on the driver's licence but keeps the money."
- 393. I'm sorry, Miss Farmer. I don't get this.
- 394. Just place an "X" in the appropriate place.
- 395. I know what to do, but you can't lump things
into two categories.
- 396. The lifeline is divided that way.
- 397. Well, life isn't that simple. I mean...
- 398. Who cares if Ling Ling keeps the money?
It has nothing to do with fear or love.
- 399. - They are the deepest human emotions.
- OK. But you're not listening to me.
- 400. There are other things to take into account,
the whole spectrum of human emotion.
- 401. You can't just lump everything
into two categories and deny everything else!
- 402. If you don't complete the assignment,
you'll get a zero.
- 403. Donald, let me preface this by saying
- 404. that your Iowa Test scores are... intimidating.
- 405. So...
- 406. Let's go over this again.
What exactly did you say to Miss Farmer?
- 407. I'll tell you. He asked me to forcibly insert
the lifeline exercise card into my anus!
- 408. Nobody cares about responsibility,
morality, family values...
- 409. Kitty... Excuse us, please.
- 410. They've suspended him
from after-school activities for six months.
- 411. Since this jet engine fiasco,
I don't know what's gotten into...
- 412. I'll say this because our daughters are
on the dance team together and I respect you,
- 413. but after witnessing your son's behaviour,
I have significant doubts about your...
- 414. Our paths through life must be righteous.
Go home and look in the mirror
- 415. and pray that your son doesn't succumb
to the path of fear.
- 416. Do you remember
that weird gym teacher, Mrs Farmer?
- 417. Yeah. OK, well, my brother told her
to shove a book up her ass today.
- 418. And then my parents
just bought him all this new shit.
- 419. Yeah, I know.
I wish a jet engine would fall on my room.
- 420. - Dr Monnitoff.
- 421. Um...
- 422. I know this is gonna
sound kind of weird, but, uh,
- 423. do you know anything about...
- 424. A wormhole
with an Einstein-Rosen bridge,
- 425. which is theoretically
a wormhole in space controlled by man.
- 426. So, according to Hawking,
a wormhole may be able to provide a short cut
- 427. for jumping
between two distant regions of space-time.
- 428. So to travel back in time, you have to have
a spaceship faster than the speed of light.
- 429. - Theoretically.
- And be able to find a wormhole.
- 430. The basic principles of time travel are there.
- 431. Your vessel and portal.
Your vessel can be anything.
- 432. - Like a DeLorean?
- Metal craft of any kind.
- 433. You know, I love that movie.
It's so... like, futuristic, you know?
- 434. Listen, um...
don't tell anybody that I gave you this.
- 435. Woman who wrote this used to teach here.
She was a nun long before that.
- 436. Then overnight
she became this entirely different person.
- 437. She up and left the church,
wrote this book...
- 438. She started teaching science,
right here at Middlesex.
- 439. "The Philosophy Of Time Travel".
- 440. Roberta Sparrow?
- 441. That's right.
- 442. Roberta Sparrow?
- 443. Roberta Sparrow.
- 444. Grandma Death.
- 445. It's called "The Philosophy Of Time Travel".
- 446. - What does philosophy have to do with it?
- Guess who wrote it.
- 447. Who?
- 448. Roberta Sparrow. Huh! She wrote a book.
- 449. - Grandma Death wrote a book.
- That's a terrible nickname.
- 450. We almost ran her down the other day.
- 451. She lives in that piece of crap house,
and you know she's loaded.
- 452. - You're right.
- She was known for her gem collection.
- 453. Kids used to go up there all the time
and try to steal stuff from her.
- 454. She became a total recluse.
- 455. Huh! I didn't know she was alive
till we damn near knocked her down.
- 456. 'She was just standing in the road, frozen.
- 457. 'I walked over to see if she was OK.'
- 458. And she whispered in my ear.
- 459. - What did she say?
- I think Frank wants me to talk to her.
- 460. He asked if I knew about time travel.
- 461. She wrote a book about it,
so that can't be a coincidence, right?
- 462. What did she say to you?
- 463. She said that every living creature
on earth dies alone.
- 464. How did that make you feel?
- 465. It reminded me of my dog Callie.
- 466. She died when I was eight
and she crawled underneath the... the porch.
- 467. To die.
- 468. To be alone.
- 469. Do you feel alone right now?
- 470. I don't know...
- 471. I'd like to believe I'm not, but I just...
- 472. I've just never seen any proof,
so I just don't debate it any more.
- 473. I could spend my whole life debating it
over and over and still wouldn't have proof,
- 474. so I just don't debate it any more.
- 475. It's absurd.
- 476. The search for God is absurd?
- 477. It is if everyone dies alone.
- 478. Does that scare you?
- 479. I don't want to be alone.
- 480. And his tapes have made me realise
- 481. that for the last 39 years,
I have been a prisoner of my own fear.
- 482. Fear.
- 483. You have got to meet this Jim Cunningham.
- 484. I can't believe he's single.
- 485. 'It has been a disappointing
night for these Super Bowl champions.'
- 486. 'You're right, Dan.
Coach Joe Gibbs is on the sidelines.
- 487. 'He's gotta be thinking, "What happened?
What went wrong tonight?"'
- 488. - 'And here's the kick.'
- 489. 'It's no good...'
- 490. - Shit, we need a quarterback.
- We need a miracle.
- 491. - We need to go for a safety.
- 'What the future holds for this MVP,
- 492. 'we'll have to wait and see.'
- 493. You guys want anything?
- 494. 'This week on "Who's The Boss?"
Samantha borrows Tony's van
- 495. 'and gets caught without a licence.'
- 496. 'Better make sure
we don't miss that one.'
- 497. 'Here we are again. Fourth down now...'
- 498. Tomorrow, we meet our partners
- 499. for the Young Inventors' Fair.
- 500. What if you could go back in time
and take those hours of pain
- 501. and replace them with something better?
- 502. - Like images?
- Yeah, a Hawaiian sunset
- 503. or the Grand Canyon.
- 504. - Things that remind you how beautiful...
- We've been going together for two weeks.
- 505. Yeah?
- 506. Well, I er... I...
- 507. You want to kiss me?
- 508. - I'm sorry, I...
- Look, Donnie, wait. I just...
- 509. - Well, I like you a lot.
- I just want it to be at a time when... it...
- 510. - When what?
- When it reminds me just...
- 511. When it reminds you
how beautiful the world can be?
- 512. Yeah.
- 513. And there's some fat guy staring at us.
- 514. I don't think telling any woman
to forcibly insert an object up her anus
- 515. is something
that should go without consequence.
- 516. I think we should buy him a moped.
- 517. I think we should get a divorce.
- 518. - You won't tell Mum, will you?
- Why would I?
- 519. - You tell Mum everything.
- No, I don't.
- 520. - Let me see it.
- No, it's not finished. It's...
- 521. OK. It's cool.
- 522. That's scary.
- 523. You think?
- 524. Thank you for seeing us at such late notice.
- 525. - We both felt we should come and discuss...
- What I think is going on with your son.
- 526. Yes.
- 527. Um... Well, he's er...
- 528. You know about his past,
and he was suspended from school
- 529. for insulting his gym teacher.
- 530. I'm not sure that's a good example.
I think he had just cause.
- 531. Rose, let me lay out
what I believe is happening here.
- 532. Donnie's aggressive behaviour...
his increased detachment from reality,
- 533. seem to stem from his inability
to cope with the forces in the world
- 534. that he perceives to be threatening.
- 535. Has he ever told you about Frank?
- 536. Frank?
- 537. Yes, the giant bunny rabbit.
- 538. The what?
- 539. I don't recall
him ever having mentioned a rabbit.
- 540. Donnie is experiencing what is
commonly called a daylight hallucination.
- 541. This is a common occurrence
among paranoid schizophrenics.
- 542. - What can we do?
- I would like to do more hypnotherapy...
- 543. and increase his medication.
- 544. Whatever will help him, really, is...
That's why we're here.
- 545. We just would like him
to experience some relief.
- 546. So if you think
that more medication will do that,
- 547. then I think we should give it a try.
- 548. It's complicated.
- 549. Yeah?
- 550. There's like a force in your brain
that just sends you someplace.
- 551. Do you go someplace familiar?
- 552. No, but each time I keep waking up
farther from my house.
- 553. Scary.
- 554. Donnie Darko.
- 555. I know.
- 556. - Good morning, you mongrels!
- Good morning.
- 557. Is that all you can muster? Good morning!
- 558. - Good morning!
- Now, that's a tiny, tiny bit better.
- 559. But I still sense some students
who are actually afraid to say "good morning".
- 560. Good morning!
- 561. Yeah, that's what I like to hear!
Too many young men and women today
- 562. are completely paralysed by their fears.
- 563. They surrender their bodies
to the temptation and destruction
- 564. of drugs, alcohol and premarital sex.
- 565. Now, I'm going to tell you a little story today.
- 566. It's a heartbreakingly sad story
about a young man
- 567. whose life was completely destroyed
by these instruments of fear,
- 568. a young man searching for love
in all the wrong places.
- 569. His name was Frank.
- 570. - We're moving through time.
- 571. Hi. My stepsister, like,
I sometimes worry that she eats too much.
- 572. - Shut up, Kim!
- I'm just trying to help.
- 573. Oh, sweetheart, please!
There's no reason to be embarrassed here.
- 574. Many times we eat because
we are afraid to face our ego reflection.
- 575. We find ourselves looking at the mirror,
rather than into and through the mirror.
- 576. When we do that,
we can finally see how beautiful we are.
- 577. - Thanks!
- Sure. Come up here. Don't be afraid.
- 578. Er, how can I find out
what I wanna be when I grow up?
- 579. Oh! That's a hard one. Well, look deep
inside of yourself, deep within your heart,
- 580. and find what makes you feel love -
pure, unconditional love - and go to that.
- 581. In your studies, in your athletics,
in your relationships, go towards love.
- 582. - Thank you.
- Come on up.
- 583. Next.
- 584. - How do I learn how to fight?
- "How do I learn how to fight?"
- 585. Son, violence is a product of fear.
Learn to truly love yourself -
- 586. TRULY love yourself -
and the world will be yours.
- 587. - OK.
- Get yourself up here!
- 588. All right!
- 589. - Good morning.
- Good morning!
- 590. Um... How much are they paying you
to be here?
- 591. Er... Excuse me?
- 592. - What's your name, son?
- 593. Well, Gerald, I think you're afraid.
- 594. Do you want us to buy your book?
Because that was the worst advice ever.
- 595. See how sad this is?
Want your sister to lose weight?
- 596. Tell her to stop eating Twinkies
and play field hockey.
- 597. No one knows what they want to be.
It takes time to find that out. Right, Jim?
- 598. And you...
- 599. Yeah, you.
- 600. Sick of some jerk shoving your head
down the toilet? Well, lift some weights
- 601. or take a karate lesson,
and next time kick him in the balls.
- 602. Son... See this? This is an anger prisoner,
a textbook example.
- 603. - Prisoner.
- Do you see the fear, people?
- 604. This boy is scared to death.
Son, it breaks my heart to say this,
- 605. but I believe you're a very troubled
and confused young man.
- 606. - You are searching in all the wrong places.
- You're right, actually.
- 607. I am pretty troubled and pretty confused.
- 608. And I'm afraid, really, really afraid.
Really afraid, but I... I...
- 609. I think you're the fucking Antichrist.
- 610. It's amazing. He thinks he's telling the truth.
Everything he says is a fucking lie.
- 611. Everything he says!
- 612. Everyone thinks he's so rad.
He's such a fucking chud...
- 613. Are you OK?
- 614. Sit down. Calm down.
- 615. You ever hear of Grandma Death?
- 616. Who?
- 617. "The Philosophy Of Time Travel".
What is this?
- 618. She wrote it.
- 619. I'm... I'm seeing stuff...
- 620. Like really messed-up stuff.
- 621. That book describes stuff I've been seeing,
and it can't just be a coincidence.
- 622. She must be in. She never leaves this house.
- 623. Maybe she's asleep.
- 624. Donnie, look.
- 625. 'Send her a letter.'
- 626. 'Each vessel travels
along a vector through space-time,
- 627. 'along its centre of gravity.'
- 628. Like a spear.
- 629. - Pardon?
- Like a spear coming out of your chest.
- 630. Um... Sure. Yeah.
- 631. In order for the vessel to travel through time,
it's got to find a portal, a wormhole or...
- 632. Could these portals...? Could these portals
just appear anywhere, any time?
- 633. I think that's highly unlikely.
- 634. - No, you're talking about an act of God.
- If God controls time, time is pre-decided.
- 635. - I'm not following you.
- Every living thing follows a set path.
- 636. And if you could see your path,
then you could see the future?
- 637. - That's a form of time travel.
- Well, you're contradicting yourself.
- 638. If we were able to see our destinies
manifest themselves visually,
- 639. then we would be given a choice
to betray our destinies.
- 640. The mere fact that this choice exists would
make all preformed destiny come to an end.
- 641. Not if you travel within God's channel.
- 642. I'm not going to be able
to continue this conversation.
- 643. - Why?
- I could lose my job.
- 644. OK.
- 645. It gives me no pleasure to deny you
one of the great writers of the 20th century.
- 646. Alas, I have not yet been elected queen
of the universe, so I must obey the rules.
- 647. So, anyone seen in this school
reading this book will be suspended.
- 648. Not to worry. Someone pre-ordered
a dozen copies at the Sarasota Mall bookstore.
- 649. In Mr Greene's absence, we will now be
reading another classic - "Watership Down".
- 650. Here, Donnie.
- 651. Pass these back.
- 652. Maybe you and Frank
can read this one together.
- 653. 'Now you know where he lives.'
- 654. And they grow
out of our... chest, solar plexus?
- 655. Just like she described,
the way they moved and they smelled.
- 656. It's like they're workers.
- 657. Assigned to each one of us.
They just... They're like liquid.
- 658. I followed it into my parents' bedroom.
- 659. What did you find?
- 660. Nothing.
- 661. So we call them IMGs.
- 662. - Infant Memory Generators.
- You buy these glasses for your infant,
- 663. and they wear them at night when they sleep.
- 664. But inside the glasses
are these slide photographs.
- 665. Each photograph is of something peaceful
or beautiful, whatever the parents want.
- 666. What effect would it have on an infant?
- 667. Well, nobody remembers their infancy.
Anybody who says they do is lying.
- 668. So, this will help develop memory
earlier in life.
- 669. Yeah.
- 670. Did you consider that infants need darkness
as part of their natural development?
- 671. No.
- 672. Yeah.
- 673. What if the parents put in pictures
of Satan or dead people?
- 674. Is that what you'd show your kids?
- 675. Er, well, I mean,
didn't your dad, like, stab your mum?
- 676. Get out.
- 677. Gretchen!
- 678. Gretchen! Gretchen.
I'm sorry about those guys.
- 679. - Two for "Evil Dead", please.
- That'll be $2.
- 680. Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?
- 681. Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
- 682. Take it off.
- 683. What happened to your eye?
- 684. Why do they call you Frank?
- 685. It is the name of my father.
- 686. And his father before me.
- 687. Frank...
- 688. when's this going to stop?
- 689. You should already know that.
- 690. Watch the movie screen.
- 691. There's something I want to show you.
- 692. Have you ever seen a portal?
- 693. Burn it to the ground.
- 694. OK. Now, girls, I want you to concentrate.
- 695. Failure is not an option.
- 696. And, Bethany, if you feel the need
to vomit up there, just swallow it.
- 697. - OK, Mum.
- Hey, you guys, good luck out there.
- 698. Now, that was really something.
- 699. Thank you, Cherita Chen, with "Autumn Angel".
- 700. Now the moment we've all been waiting for.
- 701. It is my pleasure to introduce to you
Emily Bates, Suzy Bailey,
- 702. Samantha Darko, Beth Farmer
and Joanie James.
- 703. They are Sparkle Motion.
- 704. How long was I asleep for?
- 705. Whole movie.
- 706. Well, look what the cat dragged in!
- 707. How you doing, Donnie?
- 708. Your little sister was broken-hearted
that you missed her big show last night.
- 709. - Dad?
- 710. I'm crazy.
- 711. You're not crazy.
- 712. I used to be crazy.
- 713. But you're not crazy.
- 714. - Look, you're my only son...
- I know...
- 715. No, hold it. I know
I'm not the best communicator, but...
- 716. whatever happens to you,
be honest, tell the truth,
- 717. even if they do look at you funny - they will.
- 718. But what you gotta understand, son,
- 719. is that almost all of those people
are full of shit.
- 720. They're all part
of this great big conspiracy of bullshit.
- 721. And they're scared of people like you.
- 722. Because those bullshitters know
that you're smarter than all of them.
- 723. You know what you say
to people like that? Hm?
- 724. "Fuck you."
- 725. 'The blaze was extinguished
sometime after 8.00 last night.
- 726. 'Firefighters discovered what has been
referred to as a kiddie porn dungeon.
- 727. 'Cunningham, who has become a recent
celebrity for his books, was arrested...'
- 728. - Oh, my God!
- '... while at Sarasota Heights Country Club.
- 729. 'Arson has not been ruled out
as the cause of the fire.
- 730. - 'Now a group of Cunning Vision employees...'
- Dad played golf with that guy.
- 731. '... vehemently denied the alleged link
to a child pornography publishing circuit.
- 732. 'In a vicious statement,
Connie attacked fire department officials,
- 733. 'claiming a mass conspiracy.'
- 734. I'm sorry, Karen.
This is a progressive school,
- 735. but we don't feel
your methods are appropriate.
- 736. What exactly about my methods
- 737. I am sorry that you have failed.
- 738. Now, if you'll excuse me,
I have another appointment.
- 739. You can finish out the week.
- 740. Fuck!
- 741. Good afternoon.
It's a great pleasure to announce
- 742. that the Middlesex Ridge School dance team
- 743. has been invited to perform
on "Star Search '88" in Los Angeles.
- 744. - 'I know now a terrible thing is coming.'
- 'What do you mean?'
- 745. 'The field, the field.
It's covered with blood.'
- 746. 'Blood? Don't be silly.'
- 747. 'All right. It's getting dark.
We should get back to the burrow.'
- 748. 'Back to the burrow?
It'll come there. It's all around us!'
- 749. - 'Stop it, Fiver.'
- 'We've got to leave here.'
- 750. When the other rabbits hear of Fiver's vision,
do they believe him?
- 751. Why should we care?
- 752. Because the rabbits are us, Donnie.
- 753. Why should I mourn for a rabbit?
- 754. Is the death of one species
less tragic than another?
- 755. Of course. A rabbit's not like us.
- 756. It has no history books, no photographs,
no knowledge of sorrow or regret.
- 757. I'm sorry. Don't get me wrong,
I like rabbits. They're cute and horny.
- 758. If you're cute and horny, you're happy.
You don't know why you're alive.
- 759. You just want to have sex
as many times as possible before you die.
- 760. I just don't see the point
in crying over a dead rabbit...
- 761. who never even feared death to begin with.
- 762. You're wrong. These rabbits
are the product of the author's imagination.
- 763. He cares for them, so we care for them,
otherwise we've just missed the point.
- 764. Aren't we forgetting
about the miracle of storytelling?
- 765. The deus ex machina? The god machine?
- 766. That's what saved the rabbits.
- 767. No, it was ridiculous. I'll call you back.
- 768. - Rose.
- 769. I'm sure you've heard the horrible allegations
against Jim Cunningham.
- 770. I know.
Something about a kiddie porn dungeon...
- 771. Oh, please, please! Don't use those words!
- 772. It's obviously a conspiracy
to destroy an innocent man.
- 773. I'm spearheading
the Jim Cunningham defence campaign.
- 774. Rose, I have to appear
at his arraignment tomorrow morning.
- 775. The girls have to leave for Los Angeles.
- 776. As their coach,
I was the obvious choice to chaperone them.
- 777. - But now you can't go.
- 778. Now, believe me, of all the other mothers,
I would never dream of asking you.
- 779. But none of the others are available.
- 780. I don't know, Kitty.
It's a bad weekend. Eddie's in New York.
- 781. Rose, I don't know if you realise
what an opportunity this is for our daughters!
- 782. This has been a dream of Samantha's
and all of ours for a long time.
- 783. I made her lead dancer!
- 784. Sometimes I doubt your commitment
to Sparkle Motion!
- 785. Elizabeth will be in charge.
- 786. She'll drive you to therapy.
- 787. And if you need anything,
you promise me that you will call Dr Thurman?
- 788. How does it feel to have a wacko for a son?
- 789. It feels wonderful.
- 790. Here... Sorry! Here you are!
- 791. - You guys are gonna win. I know it.
- So do I.
- 792. Here's the keys.
There's food in the fridge and do not...
- 793. Mum, go. You're gonna miss your plane.
- 794. Mum, I need...
- 795. There's nothing broken in my brain.
- 796. - I know.
- Bye, Donnie.
- 797. OK, go. Go!
- 798. Hello, Donnie.
- 799. It's Friday. Shouldn't you be off
with your friends, scaring old people?
- 800. - What's going on?
- I don't know. That's a good question.
- 801. I'm no longer your English teacher.
They fired me.
- 802. That's bullshit!
You're the only good teacher here.
- 803. Thank you.
- 804. What's "cellar door"?
- 805. This famous linguist once said that
of all the phrases in the English language,
- 806. of all the endless combinations of words
in all of history,
- 807. "cellar door" is the most beautiful.
- 808. "Cellar door."
- 809. I promise that one day
everything's gonna be better for you.
- 810. Shut up!
- 811. - 'I want to talk about your past.'
- 812. 'I want to talk about you and your parents.'
- 813. They didn't buy me
what I wanted for Christmas.
- 814. What did you want for Christmas that year?
- 815. Hungry Hungry Hippos.
- 816. How did you feel,
being denied these Hungry Hungry Hippos?
- 817. - Regret.
- What else makes you feel regret?
- 818. - That I did it again.
- You did it again?
- 819. I flooded my school
and I burned down that pervert's house.
- 820. I only have a few days left
before they catch me.
- 821. - Did Frank tell you to do these things?
- I have to obey him. He saved my life.
- 822. I have to obey him or I'll be left all alone.
- 823. And then... And then I won't be able
to figure out what this is all about.
- 824. I won't know his master plan.
- 825. Do you mean God's master plan?
- 826. Do you now believe in God?
- 827. I have the power to build a time machine.
- 828. How is that possible?
- 829. How is time travel possible, Donnie?
- 830. Time's up, Frank said.
- 831. - When is this going to happen?
- 832. What is going to happen?
- 833. - Frank is gonna kill.
- Who is he going to kill?
- 834. - Who is he going to kill?
- I can see him!
- 835. The sky's gonna open up.
- 836. If the sky suddenly opened up,
there would be no law, no rule.
- 837. There would only be you and your memories,
- 838. the choices you've made
and the people you've touched.
- 839. If this world were to end,
there would only be you and him...
- 840. and no one else.
- 841. You can stop taking your medication.
- 842. They're placebos.
Just pills made out of water.
- 843. Thank you.
- 844. Donnie...
- 845. An atheist is someone who denies altogether
the existence of God.
- 846. You're an agnostic.
- 847. An agnostic is someone...
- 848. who believes that there is
no proof of the existence of God,
- 849. but does not deny a possibility
that God exists.
- 850. Goodbye, Dr Thurman.
- 851. Hey.
- 852. I got in.
- 853. I'm going to Harvard.
- 854. Hey, we should totally throw a party.
Mum and Dad are gone.
- 855. - It's Halloween. We could get away with it.
- OK. But it has to be small.
- 856. We got eggs, water balloons
and a dozen rolls of toilet paper.
- 857. I stole four beers from my dad.
- 858. - We got a keg.
- Keg beer is for pussies.
- 859. 'Rose, this is Lilian Thurman.'
- 860. It is important that you call me
as soon as you get this message. Thank you.
- 861. You OK?
- 862. Yeah. My mum's gone.
- 863. You want to come in?
- 864. I don't know. She didn't leave a note
and the house was all messed up.
- 865. But you're OK.
- 866. Did you call the cops?
- 867. Yeah, they said I should leave the house
and that I should go to a safe place.
- 868. I'm just so scared. I keep thinking
something awful is happening and...
- 869. It's my fucking stepdad, I know it.
- 870. I guess some people are just born
with tragedy in their blood.
- 871. - Hey, have you seen Frank?
- No, they went on a beer run.
- 872. 'If you're there, please pick up.
Oh, well. Good news.
- 873. 'The girls got three and a half stars
and are in the quarter-finals.
- 874. 'Samantha was amazing. Anyway...'
- 875. We're taking the red-eye back tonight and...
- 876. - Mum, we've got to leave.
- Yeah. OK.
- 877. We should arrive 8:30 in the morning.
- 878. Um... I hope everything's...
I hope everything's all right.
- 879. I love you. Bye.
- 880. - Come with me.
- Where are we going?
- 881. - Donnie?
- Look, we gotta go.
- 882. - We've got to see Grandma Death.
- Why? About the book?
- 883. - No, it's Frank.
- 884. Time is running out! We gotta go.
- 885. Donnie, nobody's here.
Let's just forget about it.
- 886. "Cellar door."
- 887. What?
- 888. Donnie! Donnie!
- 889. Donnie!
- 890. - Why the fuck are you here?
- Oh, my God!
- 891. - You're dead!
- What do we do?
- 892. - Shit!
- Leave them alone!
- 893. Don't fucking move! Don't fucking move!
- 894. There's a car!
- 895. - Get the hell out of here!
- Come on!
- 896. Seth, a car's coming. Let's go!
- 897. I have a bigger knife now.
- 898. Fuck!
- 899. Did you call the fucking cops?
- 900. - Deus ex machina.
- What did you just say?
- 901. - What the fuck did you say?
- Our saviour.
- 902. Donnie!
- 903. Frank...
- 904. Is she dead?
- 905. What were you guys doing
in the middle of the road?
- 906. Go home!
- 907. Go and tell your parents
everything will be OK.
- 908. Go!
- 909. The storm is coming. You must hurry.
- 910. I'm going home.
- 911. 'Dear Roberta Sparrow,
I've reached the end of your book
- 912. 'and there's so many things I need to ask you.
- 913. 'Sometimes I'm afraid
of what you might tell me.
- 914. 'Sometimes I'm afraid that you'll tell me
this is not a work of fiction.
- 915. 'I can only hope that the answers
will come to me in my sleep.
- 916. 'I hope that when the world ends,
- 917. 'I can breathe a sigh of relief because
there will be so much to look forward to.'
- 918. Hey. What's going on?
- 919. Horrible accident.
My neighbour... got killed.
- 920. - What happened?
- Got smushed by a jet engine.
- 921. What was his name?
- 922. Donnie. Donnie Darko.
- 923. I feel bad for his family.
- 924. Yeah.
- 925. Did you know him?
- 926. No.