- 1. Master Kaecilius.
- 2. That ritual will bring you only sorrow.
- 3. Hypocrite!
- 4. Challenge round, Billy.
- 5. Oh, come on, Billy, you've got
to be messing with me.
- 6. No, doctor.
- 7. Feels So Good, Chuck Mangione, 1977.
- 8. Honestly, Billy, you said
this one would be hard.
- 9. - Ha! It's 1978.
- No, Billy.
- 10. While Feels So Good
may have charted in 1978...
- 11. the album was released
in December of 1977.
- 12. No. Wikipedia says it's a nineteen...
- 13. Check again.
- 14. Where do you store
- 15. all this useless information?
- 16. Useless?
- 17. The man charted a top 10 hit
with a flugelhorn.
- 18. Status, Billy?
- 19. 1977.
- 20. - Oh, please.
- I hate you.
- 21. Oh!
- 22. Feels so good, doesn't it?
- 23. Oh, I got this, Stephen.
- 24. You've done your bit.
Go ahead. We'll close up.
- 25. What is it?
- 26. GSW.
- 27. It's amazing you kept him alive.
- 28. Apneic, failed the brain stem test...
- 29. and the apnea reflex test.
- 30. I think I found the problem,
- 31. You left a bullet in his head.
- 32. Thanks. It's impinging on the medulla.
- 33. I needed a specialist.
Nic diagnosed brain death.
- 34. Something about that
doesn't feel right to me.
- 35. We have to run.
- 36. Doctor West.
- 37. What are you doing? Hey.
- 38. Organ harvest. He's a donor.
- 39. Slow down. I did not agree to that.
- 40. I don't need you to.
We've already called brain death.
- 41. Prematurely.
We need to get him prepped
- 42. for sub-occipital craniotomy.
- 43. Not gonna let you operate
on a dead man.
- 44. What do you see?
- 45. - A bullet?
- A perfect bullet.
- 46. It's been hardened. You harden a bullet
by alloying lead with antimony.
- 47. A toxic metal. And that's leeched
directly into the cerebral spinal fluid.
- 48. Rapid onset central
nervous system shutdown.
- 49. We gotta go.
- 50. The patient's not dead, but he is dying.
- 51. Still want to harvest his organs?
- 52. - I'll assist you.
- 53. Doctor Palmer will assist me.
- 54. Thank you.
- 55. Image guidance, stat.
- 56. We don't have time for that.
- 57. You can't do it freehand.
- 58. I can and I will.
- 59. This isn't a time
for showing off, Strange.
- 60. How about 10 minutes ago
- 61. when you called
the wrong time of death?
- 62. Cranial nerves intact.
- 63. Doctor West, cover your watch.
- 64. You know, you didn't have to
humiliate him in front of everyone.
- 65. I didn't have to save his patient, either.
- 66. But I sometimes just can't help myself.
- 67. Nic is a great doctor.
- 68. You came to me.
- 69. Yeah, well, I needed a second opinion.
- 70. You had a second opinion.
- 71. What you needed was a competent one.
- 72. Well, all the more reason
- 73. why you should be
my neurosurgeon on call.
- 74. You could make such a difference.
- 75. I can't work in your butcher shop.
- 76. Hey!
- 77. I'm fusing transected spinal cords.
- 78. I'm stimulating neurogenesis
in the central nervous system.
- 79. The work I'm doing is gonna save
thousands for years to come.
- 80. In ER, you get to save
one drunk idiot with a gun.
- 81. Yeah, you're right.
- 82. In ER, we're only saving lives.
- 83. There's no fame, there's no, uh,
- 84. CNN interviews.
- 85. I guess I'll just have to stick with Nic.
- 86. Whoa, wait a minute.
- 87. You're not... You guys aren't...
- 88. What?
- 89. Sleeping together? Sorry, I thought
that was implicit in my disgust.
- 90. Explicit, actually.
- 91. No, I have a very strict rule
against dating colleagues.
- 92. Oh, really?
- 93. I call it the "Strange Policy."
- 94. Oh, well, good, I'm glad
something's named after me.
- 95. I invented a laminectomy procedure.
- 96. And yet, somehow no one seems to want
to call it the "Strange Technique."
- 97. We invented that technique.
- 98. Regardless, I'm very flattered
by your policy.
- 99. I'm talking tonight
at a Neurological Society dinner.
- 100. Come with me.
- 101. Another speaking engagement?
- 102. So romantic.
- 103. You used to love coming
to those things with me.
- 104. We had fun together.
- 105. No! You had fun.
- 106. They weren't about us,
they were about you.
- 107. Not only about me.
- 108. Stephen. Everything is about you.
- 109. Maybe we could hyphenate.
- 110. Strange-Palmer Technique.
- 111. Palmer-Strange.
- 112. Billy.
- 113. What have you got for me?
- 114. I've got a 35-year-old
Air Force Colonel...
- 115. crushed his lower spine
in some kind of experimental armor.
- 116. Mid-thoracic burst fracture.
- 117. Yeah, well, I could help...
- 118. but so could 50 other people.
- 119. Find me something worth my time.
- 120. I have a 68-year-old female
with an advanced brain stem glioma.
- 121. Yeah, you want me to screw up
my perfect record?
- 122. Definitely not.
- 123. How about a 22-year-old female...
- 124. with an electronic implant in her brain
to control schizophrenia...
- 125. struck by lightning?
- 126. Mmm. That does sound interesting.
- 127. Can you send me the...
- 128. Got it.
- 129. Hey.
- 130. It's okay. It's gonna be okay.
- 131. What did they do?
- 132. They rushed you in a chopper.
- 133. But it took a little while to find you.
- 134. The golden hours for nerve damage
went by while you were in the car.
- 135. What did they do?
- 136. 11 stainless steel pins in the bones.
- 137. Multiple torn ligaments...
- 138. severe nerve damage in both hands.
- 139. You were on the table for 11 hours.
- 140. Look at these fixators.
- 141. No one could have done better.
- 142. I could have done better.
- 143. No.
- 144. Give your body time to heal.
- 145. You've ruined me.
- 146. How long until I can take...
- 147. Doctor Strange.
- 148. Those tissues are still healing.
- 149. So, speed it up.
- 150. Pass a stent down the brachial artery
into the radial artery.
- 151. It's possible.
- 152. Experimental and expensive,
- 153. All I need is possible.
- 154. Up.
- 155. Up.
- 156. Show me your strength.
- 157. This is useless.
- 158. It's not useless, man. You can do this.
- 159. All right, answer me this,
- 160. Have you ever known anyone
with nerve damage
- 161. this severe to do this...
- 162. and actually recover?
- 163. One guy, yeah.
- 164. Factory accident, broke his back...
- 165. paralyzed, his leg wasted away.
- 166. He had pain in his shoulder,
- 167. from the wheelchair.
- 168. He came in three times a week.
- 169. Then one day he stopped coming.
- 170. I thought he was dead.
- 171. A few years later, he walked
past me on the street.
- 172. - Walked?
- Yeah, walked.
- 173. Bullshit.
Show me his file.
- 174. It'll take me a while to
pull the files from the archive.
- 175. But if it proves
your arrogant ass wrong...
- 176. Worth it.
- 177. I looked
at all your research...
- 178. I read all the papers you've sent.
- 179. It's not gonna work.
- 180. I don't think you realize...
- 181. - how severe the damages are.
- Here's the thing...
- 182. The best have tried and failed.
- 183. I understand. Here's the thing.
- 184. What you want from me
is impossible, Stephen.
- 185. Come on.
- 186. I've got my own reputation to consider.
- 187. - Etienne, wait. No.
- I can't help you.
- 188. No, no, wait!
- 189. Hey!
- 190. He won't do it.
- 191. He's a hack.
- 192. There is a new procedure in Tokyo.
- 193. They culture donor stem cells...
- 194. and then harvesting them
- 195. and then 3D printing a scaffold.
- 196. If I could get a loan together...
- 197. Stephen.
- 198. A small loan, just $200,000.
- 199. You've always spent money
as fast as you could make it...
- 200. but now you're spending money
you don't even have.
- 201. Maybe it's time to consider stopping.
- 202. No, now is exactly the time not to stop...
- 203. because, you see,
I'm not getting any better!
- 204. But this isn't medicine anymore.
- 205. This is mania.
- 206. Some things just can't be fixed.
- 207. - Life without my work...
- Is still life.
- 208. This isn't the end.
- 209. There are other things that
can give your life meaning.
- 210. Like what? Like you?
- 211. This is the part where you apologize.
- 212. This is the part where you leave.
- 213. Fine, I can't watch you
do this to yourself anymore.
- 214. Oh, too difficult for you, is it?
- 215. Yes, it is.
- 216. It breaks my heart to see you this way.
- 217. - No, don't pity me.
- I'm not pitying you.
- 218. Oh, yeah?
Then what are you doing here...
- 219. bringing cheese and wine
like we're old friends going for a picnic?
- 220. We are not friends, Christine.
- 221. We were barely lovers.
- 222. But you just love a sob story, don't you?
- 223. Is that what I am to you now?
- 224. "Poor Stephen Strange, charity case."
- 225. "He finally needs me."
- 226. Another dreg of humanity
for you to work on.
- 227. Patch him up and send him
back into the world...
- 228. heart's just humming.
- 229. You care so much, don't you?
- 230. Goodbye, Stephen.
- 231. All the way. Here we go.
- 232. Let's go! All day! All day!
- 233. Yeah! All day.
- 234. Come on, man!
Where's the competition?
- 235. Talk a lot.
- 236. Jonathan Pangborn...
- 237. C7-C8 spinal cord injury, complete.
- 238. Who are you?
- 239. Paralyzed from the mid-chest down.
- 240. Partial paralysis in both hands.
- 241. - I don't know you.
- I'm Stephen Strange.
- 242. I'm a neurosurgeon.
Was a neurosurgeon.
- 243. Actually, you know what, man,
I do know you.
- 244. I came to your office once.
You refused to see me.
- 245. I never got past your assistant.
- 246. You were untreatable.
- 247. No glory for you in that, right?
- 248. You came back from a place
there's no way back from.
- 249. I'm trying to
find my own way back.
- 250. Pangborn, are you in or you out?
- 251. All right.
- 252. I'd given up on my body.
- 253. I thought my mind's
the only thing I have left...
- 254. I should at least try to elevate that.
- 255. So, I sat with gurus...
- 256. and sacred women.
- 257. Strangers carried me to
mountaintops to see holy men.
- 258. And finally...
- 259. I found my teacher.
- 260. And my mind was elevated...
- 261. and my spirit deepened.
- 262. And somehow...
- 263. Your body healed.
- 264. Yes.
- 265. There were deeper secrets
to learn there...
- 266. but I didn't have the strength
to receive them.
- 267. I chose to settle for my miracle
and I came back home.
- 268. The place you're looking for
is called Kamar-Taj.
- 269. But the cost there is high.
- 270. How much?
- 271. I'm not talking about money.
- 272. Good luck.
- 273. Let's ball. All right, ball up!
- 274. Uh, Kamar-Taj?
- 275. You know where Kamar-Taj is?
- 276. Kamar-Taj?
- 277. Kamar-Taj.
- 278. Okay.
- 279. Look, guys, I don't have any money.
- 280. Your watch.
- 281. No, please. It's all I have left.
- 282. Your watch.
- 283. All right.
- 284. You're looking for Kamar-Taj.
- 285. Really?
- 286. Sure we got the right place?
- 287. That one looks
a little more Kamar-Tajey.
- 288. I once stood in your place.
- 289. And I, too, was disrespectful.
- 290. So, might I offer you some advice?
- 291. Forget everything you think you know.
- 292. All right.
- 293. The sanctuary of our teacher.
- 294. The Ancient One.
- 295. The Ancient One?
- 296. What's his real name?
- 297. Right.
- 298. Forget everything I think I know. Sorry.
- 299. Um, thank you for... Whoa!
- 300. Okay, that's a thing.
- 301. Thank you for...
- 302. Hello.
- 303. Oh, thank you.
- 304. And thank you.
- 305. Uh, thank you...
- 306. Ancient One, for seeing me.
- 307. You're very welcome.
- 308. The Ancient One.
- 309. Thank you, Master Mordo.
Thank you, Master Hamir.
- 310. Mr. Strange.
- 311. Uh... Doctor, actually.
- 312. Well, no, not anymore, surely.
- 313. Isn't that why you're here?
- 314. You've undergone many procedures.
- 315. - Seven, right?
- 316. It's good tea.
- 317. Yes.
- 318. Did you heal a man named Pangborn?
- 319. A paralyzed man?
- 320. In a way.
- 321. You helped him to walk again.
- 322. Yes.
- 323. How did you correct a complete
C7-C8 spinal cord injury?
- 324. Well, I didn't correct it.
- 325. He couldn't walk.
- 326. I convinced him that he could.
- 327. You're not suggesting
it was psychosomatic?
- 328. When you reattach a severed nerve...
- 329. is it you who heals it
back together or the body?
- 330. It's the cells.
- 331. The cells are only programmed...
- 332. to put themselves back together
in very specific ways.
- 333. Right.
- 334. What if I told you that
your own body could be convinced...
- 335. to put itself back together
in all sorts of ways?
- 336. You're talking about
- 337. That's bleeding edge medical tech.
- 338. Is that why you're working here?
- 339. Without a governing medical board?
- 340. Just how experimental
is your treatment?
- 341. Quite.
- 342. So, you've figured out a way...
- 343. to reprogram nerve cells to self-heal?
- 344. No, Mr. Strange.
- 345. I know how to reorient the spirit...
- 346. to better heal the body.
- 347. - The spirit to heal the body?
- That's right.
- 348. No. All right.
- 349. How do we do that?
- 350. Where do we start?
- 351. - Don't like that map?
- Oh, no.
- 352. It's really good. It's just,
I've seen it before...
- 353. in gift shops.
- 354. And what about this one?
- 355. - Acupuncture, great.
- 356. What about that one?
- 357. Showing me an MRI scan.
I do not believe this.
- 358. Each of those maps
was drawn up by someone...
- 359. who could see in part, but not the whole.
- 360. I spent my last dollar getting here,
- 361. and you're talking to me
about healing through belief?
- 362. You're a man looking at the world
through a keyhole.
- 363. You've spent your whole life
- 364. trying to widen that keyhole...
- 365. to see more, to know more.
- 366. Now, on hearing that it can be widened...
- 367. in ways you can't imagine...
- 368. you reject the possibility.
- 369. No, I reject it because
I do not believe in fairy tales...
- 370. about chakras or energy...
- 371. or the power of belief.
- 372. There is no such thing as spirit!
- 373. We are made of matter
and nothing more.
- 374. You're just another tiny,
- 375. within an indifferent universe.
- 376. You think too little of yourself.
- 377. Oh, you think
you see through me, do you?
- 378. Well, you don't.
- 379. But I see through you!
- 380. What did you just do to me?
- 381. I pushed your astral form
out of your physical form.
- 382. What's in that tea?
- 383. Psilocybin? LSD?
- 384. It's just tea...
- 385. with a little honey.
- 386. What just happened?
- 387. For a moment, you entered
the astral dimension.
- 388. The what?
- 389. A place where the soul exists
apart from the body.
- 390. Why are you doing this to me?
- 391. To show you
just how much you don't know.
- 392. Open your eye.
- 393. Oh, shit!
- 394. Oh, God! Oh, God, no!
- 395. No, no, no!
- 396. What's happening?
- 397. This isn't real!
- 398. His heart rate
is getting dangerously high.
- 399. He looks all right to me.
- 400. You think
you know how the world works?
- 401. You think that this material universe
is all there is?
- 402. What is real?
- 403. What mysteries lie beyond
the reach of your senses?
- 404. At the root of existence...
- 405. mind and matter meet.
- 406. Thoughts shape reality.
- 407. Oh!
- 408. This universe is only one
of an infinite number.
- 409. Worlds without end.
- 410. Some benevolent and life giving.
- 411. Others filled with malice and hunger.
- 412. Dark places...
- 413. where powers older than time
- 414. and waiting.
- 415. Who are you
in this vast Multiverse, Mr. Strange?
- 416. Have you seen
that before in a gift shop?
- 417. Teach me.
- 418. No.
- 419. No.
- 420. No!
- 421. No, no, no!
- 422. No!
- 423. Open the door! Please!
- 424. Thank you, Masters.
- 425. You think I was wrong to cast him out?
- 426. 5 hours later,
he's still on your doorstep.
- 427. There's a strength to him.
- 428. Stubbornness, arrogance, ambition.
- 429. I've seen it all before.
- 430. He reminds you of Kaecilius?
- 431. I cannot lead another
gifted student to power...
- 432. only to lose him to the darkness.
- 433. You didn't lose me.
- 434. I wanted the power
to defeat my enemies.
- 435. You gave me the power
to defeat my demons.
- 436. And to live within the natural law.
- 437. We never lose our demons, Mordo.
- 438. We only learn to live above them.
- 439. Kaecilius still has the stolen pages.
- 440. If he deciphers them,
he could bring ruin...
- 441. upon us all.
- 442. There may be dark days ahead.
- 443. Perhaps Kamar-Taj
could use a man like Strange.
- 444. Don't shut me out.
- 445. I haven't got anywhere else to go.
- 446. Thank you.
- 447. Bathe.
- 448. Rest.
- 449. Meditate...
- 450. if you can.
- 451. The Ancient One will send for you.
- 452. What's this? My mantra?
- 453. The Wi-Fi password.
- 454. We're not savages.
- 455. The language
of the mystic arts...
- 456. is as old as civilization.
- 457. The sorcerers of antiquity...
- 458. called the use of this language "spells."
- 459. But if that word offends
your modern sensibilities...
- 460. you can call it a "program."
- 461. The source code that shapes reality.
- 462. We harness energy...
- 463. drawn from other dimensions
of the Multiverse...
- 464. to cast spells...
- 465. to conjure shields...
- 466. and weapons...
- 467. to make magic.
- 468. But even if my fingers could do that...
- 469. my hands would just be
waving in the air.
- 470. How do I get from here to there?
- 471. How did you get
to reattach severed nerves...
- 472. and put a human spine
back together bone by bone?
- 473. Study and practice, years of it.
- 474. Hey.
- 475. Mr. Strange.
- 476. Uh, Stephen, please.
- 477. - And you are?
- 478. Wong.
- 479. Just Wong?
- 480. Like Adele?
- 481. Or Aristotle.
- 482. Drake.
- 483. Bono.
- 484. Eminem.
- 485. The Book of the Invisible Sun.
- 486. Astronomia Nova.
- 487. Codex Imperium.
- 488. Key of Solomon.
- 489. You finished all of these?
- 490. Yup.
- 491. Come with me.
- 492. All right.
- 493. This section
is for masters only...
- 494. but at my discretion, others may use it.
- 495. You should start with Maxim's Primer.
- 496. How's your Sanskrit?
- 497. I'm fluent in Google Translate.
- 498. Vedic, classical Sanskrit.
- 499. What are those?
- 500. The Ancient One's
- 501. So, they're forbidden?
- 502. No knowledge in Kamar-Taj
- 503. Only certain practices.
- 504. Those books are far too advanced
- 505. for anyone other than
the Sorcerer Supreme.
- 506. This one's got pages missing.
- 507. That's The Book of Cagliostro.
- 508. A study of time.
- 509. One of the rituals was stolen
by a former master.
- 510. The Zealot, Kaecilius.
- 511. Just after he strung up
the former librarian...
- 512. and relieved him of his head.
- 513. I am now the guardian of these books.
- 514. So if a volume from this collection
should be stolen again...
- 515. I'd know it...
- 516. and you'd be dead before
you ever left the compound.
- 517. What if it's just overdue?
- 518. Any late fees I should know about?
- 519. People used to think that I was funny.
- 520. Did they work for you?
- 521. All right. Well, it's been
lovely talking to you.
- 522. Thank you for the books...
- 523. and for the horrifying story...
- 524. and for the threat upon my life.
- 525. We will now receive the power
- 526. to destroy the one who betrayed us.
- 527. The one who betrays the world.
- 528. Mastery of the sling ring
is essential to the mystic arts.
- 529. They allow us to travel
throughout the Multiverse.
- 530. All you need to do is focus.
- 531. Visualize.
- 532. See the destination in your mind.
- 533. Look beyond the world in front of you.
- 534. Imagine every detail.
- 535. The clearer the picture,
the quicker and easier...
- 536. the gateway will come.
- 537. And stop.
- 538. I would like a moment alone
with Mr. Strange.
- 539. Of course.
- 540. My hands.
- 541. It's not about your hands.
- 542. How is this not about my hands?
- 543. Master Hamir.
- 544. Thank you, Master Hamir.
- 545. You cannot beat a river into submission.
- 546. You have to surrender to its current...
- 547. and use its power as your own.
- 548. I control it by surrendering control?
- 549. That doesn't make any sense.
- 550. Not everything does.
Not everything has to.
- 551. Your intellect has
taken you far in life...
- 552. but it will take you no further.
- 553. Surrender, Stephen.
- 554. Silence your ego...
- 555. and your power will rise.
- 556. Come with me.
- 557. Wait.
- 558. - Is this...
- 559. Beautiful.
- 560. Yeah, right, beautiful.
- 561. Freezing but beautiful.
- 562. At this temperature...
- 563. a person can last for 30 minutes...
- 564. before suffering permanent
loss of function.
- 565. Great.
- 566. But you'll likely go into shock
within the first two.
- 567. - What?
- Surrender, Stephen.
- 568. No!
- 569. How's our new recruit?
- 570. We shall see.
- 571. Any second now.
- 572. Oh, no, not again.
- 573. Maybe I should...
- 574. Stephen.
- 575. Wong.
- 576. What do you want, Strange?
- 577. Books on astral projection.
- 578. You're not ready for that.
- 579. Try me, Beyoncé.
- 580. Oh, come on. You've heard of her.
- 581. She's a huge star, right?
- 582. Do you ever laugh?
- 583. Oh, come on, just give me the book.
- 584. No.
- 585. Once, in this room,
- 586. you begged me to let you learn.
- 587. Now, I'm told
you question every lesson...
- 588. preferring to teach yourself.
- 589. Once, in this room,
you told me to open my eye.
- 590. Now, I'm being told
to blindly accept rules...
- 591. that make no sense.
- 592. Like the rule against
conjuring a gateway in the library?
- 593. Wong told on me?
- 594. You're advancing quickly
with your sorcery skills.
- 595. You need a safe space
to practice your spells.
- 596. You are now inside
the Mirror Dimension...
- 597. ever present but undetected.
- 598. The real world isn't affected
by what happens here.
- 599. We use the Mirror Dimension
to train, surveil...
- 600. and sometimes to contain threats.
- 601. You don't wanna be stuck in here
without your sling ring.
- 602. Hold on. Sorry.
What do you mean, "threats?"
- 603. Learning of an infinite Multiverse
includes learning of infinite dangers.
- 604. If I told you everything else
that you don't already know...
- 605. you'd run from here in terror.
- 606. So just how ancient is she?
- 607. No one knows the age
of the Sorcerer Supreme.
- 608. Only that she's Celtic
and never talks about her past.
- 609. You follow her, even though
you don't know?
- 610. I know she's steadfast...
- 611. but unpredictable.
- 612. Merciless, yet kind.
- 613. She made me what I am.
- 614. Trust your teacher...
- 615. and don't lose your way.
- 616. Like Kaecilius?
- 617. That's right.
- 618. You knew him.
- 619. When he first came to us...
- 620. he'd lost everyone he ever loved.
- 621. He was a grieving, broken man
searching for answers in the mystic arts.
- 622. A brilliant student,
but he was proud, headstrong.
- 623. He questioned the Ancient One,
rejected her teaching.
- 624. He left Kamar-Taj.
- 625. His disciples followed him like sheep.
- 626. Seduced by false doctrine.
- 627. And he stole the forbidden ritual, right?
- 628. Yes.
- 629. What did it do?
- 630. No more questions.
- 631. What's that?
- 632. That's a question.
- 633. This is a relic.
- 634. Some magic is too powerful to sustain...
- 635. so we imbue objects with it...
- 636. allowing them
to take the strain we cannot.
- 637. This is the staff...
- 638. of the Living Tribunal.
- 639. There are many relics.
- 640. The Wand of Watoomb.
- 641. The Vaulting Boots of Valtorr.
- 642. Really just roll off
the tongue, don't they?
- 643. - When do I get my relic?
- When you're ready.
- 644. I think I'm ready.
- 645. You're ready when the relic
decides you're ready.
- 646. For now...
- 647. conjure a weapon.
- 648. All right.
- 649. Fight!
- 650. Fight like your life depended on it.
- 651. Because one day...
- 652. it may.
- 653. Wong?
- 654. Okay.
- 655. "First, open the Eye of Agamotto."
- 656. All right.
- 657. Oh, my.
- 658. What if...
- 659. "Dormammu."
- 660. "The Dark Dimension."
- 661. Eternal life?
- 662. - What the...
- 663. Tampering with continuum probabilities
- 664. I was just doing
exactly what it said in the book.
- 665. What did the book say
- 666. about the dangers
of performing that ritual?
- 667. I don't know.
I hadn't gotten to that part yet.
- 668. Temporal manipulations
can create branches in time.
- 669. Unstable dimensional openings.
- 670. Spatial paradoxes! Time loops!
- 671. You wanna get stuck
reliving the same moment
- 672. over and over forever...
- 673. or never having existed at all?
- 674. Really should put the warnings
before the spell.
- 675. Your curiosity could have
gotten you killed.
- 676. You weren't manipulating
the space-time continuum...
- 677. you were breaking it.
- 678. We do not tamper with natural law.
- 679. We defend it.
- 680. How did you even do that?
- 681. Hmm?
- 682. Where did you learn the litany of spells
required to even understand it?
- 683. I've got a photographic memory.
- 684. That's how I got my M.D.
and Ph.D. at the same time.
- 685. What you just did...
- 686. takes more than a good memory.
- 687. You were born for the mystic arts.
- 688. And yet my hands still shake.
- 689. For now, yes.
- 690. Not forever?
- 691. We're not prophets.
- 692. When are you gonna start
telling me what we are?
- 693. While heroes like the Avengers
- 694. protect the world
from physical dangers...
- 695. we sorcerers safeguard it
against more mystical threats.
- 696. The Ancient One
is the latest in a long line
- 697. of Sorcerers Supreme...
- 698. going back thousands of years
to the father of the mystic arts...
- 699. the mighty Agamotto.
- 700. Same sorcerer who created the eye
you so recklessly borrowed.
- 701. Agamotto built three Sanctums
in places of power...
- 702. where great cities now stand.
- 703. That door leads to
the Hong Kong Sanctum.
- 704. That door to the New York Sanctum.
- 705. That one to the London Sanctum.
- 706. Together...
- 707. the Sanctums generate
a protective shield around our world.
- 708. The Sanctums
protect the world...
- 709. and we sorcerers...
- 710. protect the Sanctums.
- 711. From what?
- 712. Other dimensional beings
that threaten our universe.
- 713. Like Dormammu.
- 714. Where did you learn that name?
- 715. I just read it in
The Book of Cagliostro. Why?
- 716. Dormammu dwells
in the Dark Dimension.
- 717. Beyond time.
- 718. He is the cosmic conqueror...
- 719. the destroyer of worlds.
- 720. A being of infinite power
and endless hunger...
- 721. on a quest to invade every universe...
- 722. and bring all worlds
into his Dark Dimension.
- 723. And he hungers for Earth most of all.
- 724. The pages that Kaecilius stole.
- 725. A ritual to contact Dormammu
- 726. and draw power
from the Dark Dimension.
- 727. Uh... Okay...
- 728. Um... I'm out.
- 729. I came here
to heal my hands.
- 730. Not to fight in some mystical war.
- 731. London.
- 732. Kaecilius!
- 733. No!
- 734. Wong? Mordo?
- 735. Hello?
- 736. Hello?
- 737. Daniel, I see they made you
master of this Sanctum.
- 738. You know what that means?
- 739. That you'll die protecting it.
- 740. Stop!
- 741. How long have you been
at Kamar-Taj, Mister...
- 742. Doctor.
- 743. Mister Doctor?
- 744. It's Strange.
- 745. Maybe. Who am I to judge?
- 746. Ha!
- 747. You don't know how to use that, do you?
- 748. Uh...
- 749. What?
- 750. Oh, stop it.
- 751. I said stop it.
- 752. You cannot stop this, Mister Doctor.
- 753. I don't even know what "this" is.
- 754. It's the end...
- 755. and the beginning.
- 756. The many becoming the few
becoming the One.
- 757. If you're not gonna start making sense...
- 758. I'm just gonna to have to
put this thing back on.
- 759. Tell me, Mister Doctor...
- 760. My name is Doctor Stephen Strange.
- 761. - You are a doctor?
- 762. A scientist.
- 763. You understand the laws of nature.
- 764. All things age. All things die.
- 765. In the end, our sun burns out.
- 766. Our universe grows cold and perishes.
- 767. But the Dark Dimension...
- 768. it's a place beyond time.
- 769. That's it. I'm putting this thing back on.
- 770. This world doesn't have to die, doctor.
- 771. This world can take its rightful place
alongside so many others...
- 772. as part of the One.
- 773. The great and beautiful One.
- 774. We can all live forever.
- 775. Really?
- 776. What do you have to gain
out of this New Age dimensional utopia?
- 777. The same as you.
- 778. The same as everyone. Life. Eternal life.
- 779. People think in terms of good and evil...
- 780. when really time
is the true enemy of us all.
- 781. Time kills everything.
- 782. What about the people you killed?
- 783. Tiny.
- 784. Momentary specks within
an indifferent universe.
- 785. Yes. You see.
- 786. You see what we're doing.
- 787. The world is not what it ought to be.
- 788. Humanity longs for the eternal...
- 789. for a world beyond time,
because time is what enslaves us.
- 790. Time is an insult.
- 791. Death is an insult.
- 792. Doctor...
- 793. we don't seek to rule this world.
- 794. We seek to save it...
- 795. to hand it over to Dormammu,
who is the intent of all evolution...
- 796. the why of all existence.
- 797. The Sorcerer Supreme
- 798. What was it that brought you
to Kamar-Taj, doctor?
- 799. Was it enlightenment?
- 800. Power?
- 801. You came to be healed, as did we all.
- 802. Kamar-Taj is a place
that collects broken things.
- 803. We all come with the promise
of being healed...
- 804. and instead The Ancient One
gives us parlor tricks.
- 805. The real magic she keeps for herself.
- 806. You ever wonder
how she managed to live this long?
- 807. I saw the rituals
in The Book of Cagliostro.
- 808. So, you know.
- 809. The ritual gives me the power
- 810. to overthrow The Ancient One...
- 811. and tear her Sanctums down.
- 812. To let the Dark Dimension in.
- 813. Because what The Ancient One hoards,
- 814. Dormammu gives freely.
- 815. Life everlasting.
- 816. He's not the destroyer of worlds, doctor.
- 817. He's the savior of worlds.
- 818. No. I mean, come on.
- 819. Look at your face.
- 820. Dormammu made you a murderer.
- 821. Just how good can his kingdom be?
- 822. You think that's funny?
- 823. No, not that.
- 824. What's funny is that
you've lost your sling ring.
- 825. Sir, can I help you?
- 826. Doctor Palmer, where is she?
- 827. - Sir. We need to get...
- Where is she?
- 828. The nurse's station.
- 829. Christine!
- 830. Stephen?
- 831. Oh, my God.
- 832. Get me in an operating theater now.
- 833. Now! I haven't any time.
- 834. What happened?
- 835. I was stabbed. Cardiac tamponade.
- 836. What are you wearing?
- 837. Chest cavity is clear.
- 838. No, the blood is in the pericardial sac.
- 839. No, no, no.
- 840. Stephen?
- 841. Come on, come on.
- 842. Just a little higher.
- 843. Please be careful with the needle.
- 844. Stephen?
- 845. What am I seeing?
- 846. My astral body.
- 847. Are you dead?
- 848. No, Christine. But I am dying.
- 849. Right.
- 850. Yeah. All right.
- 851. Okay.
- 852. Oh, wow.
- 853. I've never seen a wound like this.
- 854. What were you stabbed with?
- 855. I don't know.
- 856. I'm gonna have to vanish now.
- 857. What?
- 858. Keep me alive, will you?
- 859. Huh?
- 860. Okay.
- 861. Uh-huh.
- 862. Oh, shit.
- 863. Come on, come on.
- 864. Stephen, come on.
- 865. Hit me again.
- 866. Stop doing that!
- 867. Up the voltage and hit me again.
- 868. No, your heart's beating!
- 869. Just do it!
- 870. Oh, my God.
- 871. Oh, God! Oh, God!
- 872. Are you okay?
- 873. Yeah.
- 874. Okay.
- 875. After all this time...
- 876. you just show up here...
- 877. flying out of your body.
- 878. Yeah, I know.
- 879. I missed you, too, by the way.
- 880. Ha ha.
- 881. I wrote you emails,
but you never responded.
- 882. Why would I?
- 883. Christine, I am so, so sorry.
- 884. For all of it. You were right.
- 885. I was a complete asshole.
I treated you so horribly.
- 886. And you deserved so much more.
- 887. Stop. You're clearly in shock.
- 888. What the hell is happening?
- 889. Where have you been?
- 890. Well, after Western medicine failed me...
- 891. I headed east,
and I ended up in Kathmandu.
- 892. Kathmandu?
- 893. Yeah.
- 894. Like the Bob Seger song?
- 895. 1975, Beautiful Loser, side A. Yeah.
- 896. I went to a place called Kamar-Taj...
- 897. and I talked to someone
called "The Ancient One."
- 898. Oh. So you joined a cult.
- 899. No, I didn't. No, not exactly. No.
- 900. They did teach me to tap into powers
that I never even knew existed.
- 901. Yeah. That sounds like a cult.
- 902. It's not a cult.
- 903. Well, that's what a cultist would say.
- 904. Oh, no.
- 905. Wait. Stephen, wait.
What do you think you're doing?
- 906. I'm late for a cult meeting.
- 907. This is insane.
- 908. Yeah.
- 909. - Where are you going?
- 910. Can you tell me the truth?
- 911. Well, a powerful sorcerer
- 912. who gave himself over
to an ancient entity...
- 913. can bend the very laws of physics,
tried very hard to kill me.
- 914. But I left him chained up
in Greenwich Village...
- 915. and the quickest way back there
is through a dimensional gateway...
- 916. that I opened up in the mop closet.
- 917. Okay. Don't tell me. Fine.
- 918. Really do have to go.
- 919. Yeah.
- 920. Strange!
- 921. You're okay.
- 922. A relative term. But yeah, I'm okay.
- 923. The Cloak of Levitation.
- 924. It came to you.
- 925. No minor feat.
- 926. It's a fickle thing.
- 927. - He's escaped.
- 928. Yeah.
- 929. He can fold space and matter at will.
- 930. He folds matter
outside the Mirror Dimension...
- 931. in the real world?
- 932. Yeah.
- 933. - How many more?
- 934. I stranded one in the desert.
- 935. And the other?
- 936. His body's in the hall.
- 937. Master Drumm is in the foyer.
- 938. He's been taken back to Kamar-Taj.
- 939. The London Sanctum has fallen.
- 940. Only New York and Hong Kong
- 941. to shield us from the Dark Dimension.
- 942. You defended the New York Sanctum
- 943. With its master gone, it needs another.
- 944. Master Strange.
- 945. No.
- 946. It is Doctor Strange.
- 947. Not Master Strange. Not Mister Strange.
- 948. Doctor Strange.
- 949. When I became a doctor,
I swore an oath to do no harm.
- 950. And I have just killed a man!
- 951. I'm not doing that again.
- 952. I became a doctor
to save lives, not take them.
- 953. You became a doctor
to save one life above all others.
- 954. Your own.
- 955. Still seeing through me, are you?
- 956. I see what I've always seen:
your over-inflated ego.
- 957. You want to go back to the delusion
that you can control anything...
- 958. even death...
- 959. which no one can control.
- 960. Not even the great
Doctor Stephen Strange.
- 961. Not even Dormammu?
- 962. He offers immortality.
- 963. It's our fear of death
that gives Dormammu life.
- 964. He feeds off it.
- 965. Like you feed off him?
- 966. You talk to me about controlling death?
- 967. Oh, I know how you do it.
- 968. I've seen the missing rituals
from The Book of Cagliostro.
- 969. Measure your next words
very carefully, doctor.
- 970. Because you might not like them?
- 971. Because you may not know
of what you speak.
- 972. What is he talking about?
- 973. I'm talking about her long life,
the source of her immortality.
- 974. She draws power
from the Dark Dimension
- 975. to stay alive.
- 976. That's not true.
- 977. I've seen the rituals. Worked them out.
- 978. I know how you do it.
- 979. Once they regroup...
- 980. the Zealots will be back.
- 981. You'll need reinforcements.
- 982. She's not who you think she is.
- 983. You don't have the right to say that.
- 984. You've no idea the responsibility
that rests upon her shoulders.
- 985. No, and I don't want to know.
- 986. You're a coward.
- 987. Because I'm not a killer?
- 988. These Zealots will snuff us all out...
- 989. and you can't muster the strength
to snuff them first?
- 990. What do you think I just did?
- 991. You saved your own life!
- 992. And then whined about it
like a wounded dog.
- 993. Oh, you would have done it so easily?
- 994. You've no idea the things I've done.
- 995. And the answer is yes.
- 996. Without hesitation.
- 997. Even if there's another way?
- 998. There is no other way.
- 999. You lack imagination.
- 1000. No, Stephen.
- 1001. You lack a spine.
- 1002. They're back.
- 1003. We have to end this.
- 1004. Now!
- 1005. Strange!
- 1006. Get down here and fight!
- 1007. No!
- 1008. The Mirror Dimension.
- 1009. You can't affect the real world in here.
- 1010. Who's laughing now?
- 1011. Asshole.
- 1012. I am.
- 1013. I've got his sling ring.
- 1014. They can't escape, right?
- 1015. Run!
- 1016. Their connection
to the Dark Dimension
- 1017. makes them more powerful
in the Mirror Dimension.
- 1018. They can't affect the real world,
but they can still kill us.
- 1019. This wasn't cleverness. It was suicide!
- 1020. That is hilarious.
- 1021. This was a mistake.
- 1022. Whoa.
- 1023. Oh!
- 1024. It's true.
- 1025. She does draw power
from the Dark Dimension.
- 1026. Kaecilius.
- 1027. I came to you broken...
- 1028. lost, in need.
- 1029. Trusted you to be my teacher,
and you fed me lies.
- 1030. I tried to protect you.
- 1031. - From the truth?
- From yourself.
- 1032. I have a new teacher now.
- 1033. Dormammu deceives you.
- 1034. You have no idea what he truly is.
- 1035. His eternal life is not paradise,
- 1036. Liar.
- 1037. Christine!
- 1038. Are you kidding me?
- 1039. Oh, my God.
- 1040. It's not fibrillation.
She has a stunned myocardium.
- 1041. - Neurogenic?
- 1042. Someone get the swabs.
- 1043. Nic?
- 1044. We need to relieve
the pressure on her brain.
- 1045. She's still dropping.
- 1046. We're losing her!
- 1047. We need to increase her oxygen!
- 1048. I need a crash cart!
- 1049. Her pupils have dilated!
- 1050. No reflexes.
- 1051. We're not reading any brain activity.
- 1052. What are you doing?
- 1053. Come on, you're dying!
- 1054. You have to return to your body now.
You don't have time.
- 1055. Time is relative.
- 1056. Your body hasn't even hit the floor yet.
- 1057. I've spent so many years...
- 1058. peering through time...
- 1059. looking at this exact moment.
- 1060. But I can't see past it.
- 1061. I've prevented countless,
- 1062. And after each one,
there's always another.
- 1063. And they all lead here...
- 1064. but never further.
- 1065. You think this is where you die.
- 1066. You wonder what I see in your future?
- 1067. No.
- 1068. Yes.
- 1069. I never saw your future.
- 1070. Only its possibilities.
- 1071. You have such a capacity for goodness.
- 1072. You always excelled...
- 1073. but not because you craved success...
- 1074. but because of your fear of failure.
- 1075. That's what made me a great doctor.
- 1076. It's precisely what kept you
- 1077. Arrogance and fear still keep you...
- 1078. from learning the simplest
- 1079. and most significant lesson of all.
- 1080. Which is?
- 1081. It's not about you.
- 1082. When you first came to me...
- 1083. you asked me how I was able
to heal Jonathan Pangborn.
- 1084. I didn't.
- 1085. He channels dimensional energy
directly into his own body.
- 1086. He uses magic to walk?
- 1087. Constantly.
- 1088. He had a choice...
- 1089. to return to his own life...
- 1090. or to serve something
greater than himself.
- 1091. So I could have my hands back again?
- 1092. My old life?
- 1093. You could.
- 1094. And the world would be
all the lesser for it.
- 1095. I've hated drawing power
from the Dark Dimension.
- 1096. But as you well know...
- 1097. sometimes one must break the rules...
- 1098. in order to serve the greater good.
- 1099. Mordo won't see it that way.
- 1100. Mordo's soul is rigid and unmovable...
- 1101. forged by the fires of his youth.
- 1102. He needs your flexibility...
- 1103. just as you need his strength.
- 1104. Only together do you stand a chance
of stopping Dormammu.
- 1105. I'm not ready.
- 1106. No one ever is.
- 1107. We don't get to choose our time.
- 1108. Death is what gives life meaning.
- 1109. To know your days are numbered.
- 1110. Your time is short.
- 1111. You'd think after
all this time, I'd be ready.
- 1112. But look at me.
- 1113. Stretching one moment out
into a thousand...
- 1114. just so that I can watch the snow.
- 1115. Are you okay?
- 1116. I don't understand what's happening.
- 1117. I know.
- 1118. But I have to go away now.
- 1119. You said that losing my hands
didn't have to be the end.
- 1120. That it could be a beginning.
- 1121. Yeah.
- 1122. Because there are other ways
to save lives.
- 1123. A harder way.
- 1124. A weirder way.
- 1125. Doctor Palmer to the ER, please.
- 1126. Doctor Palmer to the ER.
- 1127. I don't want you to go.
- 1128. Stop!
- 1129. Choose your weapon wisely.
- 1130. No one steps foot in this Sanctum.
- 1131. No one.
- 1132. Kaecilius.
- 1133. You're on the wrong side
of history, Wong.
- 1134. She's dead.
- 1135. You were right.
- 1136. She wasn't who I thought she was.
- 1137. She was complicated.
- 1138. Complicated?
- 1139. The Dark Dimension is volatile.
- 1140. Dangerous.
- 1141. What if it overtook her?
- 1142. She taught us it was forbidden...
- 1143. while she drew on its power
to steal centuries of life.
- 1144. She did what she thought was right.
- 1145. The bill comes due.
- 1146. Don't you see?
- 1147. Her transgressions
led the Zealots to Dormammu.
- 1148. Kaecilius was her fault!
- 1149. And here we are...
- 1150. in the consequence of her deception.
- 1151. A world on fire.
- 1152. Mordo, the London Sanctum has fallen.
- 1153. The New York one
has been attacked twice.
- 1154. You know where they're going next.
- 1155. Hong Kong.
- 1156. You told me once to fight
like my life depended on it...
- 1157. because one day, it might.
- 1158. Well, today is that day.
- 1159. I cannot defeat them alone.
- 1160. The Sanctum's already fallen.
- 1161. The Dark Dimension.
- 1162. Dormammu is coming.
- 1163. It's too late.
- 1164. Nothing can stop him.
- 1165. Not necessarily.
- 1166. No.
- 1167. The spell's working.
- 1168. We've got a second chance.
- 1169. Whoa!
- 1170. No!
- 1171. Wong.
- 1172. Breaking the laws of nature. I know.
- 1173. Well, don't stop now.
- 1174. When the Sanctum's restored,
- 1175. they'll attack it again.
- 1176. We've got to defend it.
- 1177. Come on!
- 1178. Get up, Strange.
- 1179. Get up and fight.
- 1180. We can finish this.
- 1181. You can't fight the inevitable.
- 1182. Isn't it beautiful?
- 1183. A world beyond time.
- 1184. Beyond death.
- 1185. - Beyond time...
- 1186. He's gone.
- 1187. Even Strange has left you
and surrendered to his power.
- 1188. Dormammu, I've come to bargain.
- 1189. You've come to die.
- 1190. Your world is now my world...
- 1191. like all worlds.
- 1192. Dormammu, I've come to bargain.
- 1193. You've come to die.
- 1194. Your world is now my...
- 1195. What is this?
- 1196. Illusion?
- 1197. No. This is real.
- 1198. Good.
- 1199. Dormammu, I've come to bargain.
- 1200. You've... What is happening?
- 1201. Just as you gave Kaecilius
powers from your dimension...
- 1202. I brought a little power from mine.
- 1203. This is time.
- 1204. Endless looped time.
- 1205. You dare!
- 1206. Oh...
- 1207. Dormammu, I've come to bargain.
- 1208. You cannot do this forever.
- 1209. Actually, I can.
- 1210. This is how things are now.
- 1211. You and me, trapped in this moment...
- 1212. endlessly.
- 1213. Then you will spend eternity dying.
- 1214. Yes. But everyone on Earth will live.
- 1215. But you will suffer.
- 1216. Pain's an old friend.
- 1217. Dormammu...
- 1218. I've come to bargain.
- 1219. End this!
- 1220. Dormammu... Dormammu...
- 1221. You will never win.
- 1222. No...
- 1223. but I can lose...
- 1224. again and again...
- 1225. and again...
- 1226. and again, forever.
- 1227. And that makes you my prisoner.
- 1228. No!
- 1229. Stop!
- 1230. Make this stop!
- 1231. Set me free!
- 1232. No.
- 1233. I've come to bargain.
- 1234. What do you want?
- 1235. Take your Zealots from the Earth.
- 1236. End your assault on my world.
- 1237. Never come back.
- 1238. Do it...
- 1239. and I'll break the loop.
- 1240. Get up, Strange!
- 1241. Get up and fight.
- 1242. We can finish this.
- 1243. Isn't it beautiful?
- 1244. A world beyond time.
- 1245. Beyond death.
- 1246. What have you done?
- 1247. I made a bargain.
- 1248. What is this?
- 1249. Well, it's everything you've ever wanted.
- 1250. Eternal life as part of the One.
- 1251. You're not gonna like it.
- 1252. Yeah, you know, you really should have
- 1253. stolen the whole book
because the warnings...
- 1254. The warnings come after the spells.
- 1255. Oh, that's funny.
- 1256. We did it.
- 1257. Yes.
- 1258. Yes, we did it.
- 1259. By also violating...
- 1260. the natural law.
- 1261. Look around you. It's over.
- 1262. You still think there will be
no consequences, Strange?
- 1263. No price to pay?
- 1264. We broke our rules, just like her.
- 1265. The bill comes due.
- 1266. Always!
- 1267. A reckoning.
- 1268. I will follow this path no longer.
- 1269. Yeah, okay.
- 1270. Wise choice.
- 1271. You'll wear the Eye of Agamotto...
- 1272. once you've mastered its powers.
- 1273. Until then...
- 1274. best not to walk the streets
wearing an Infinity Stone.
- 1275. A what?
- 1276. You might have a gift for the mystic arts,
- 1277. but you still have much to learn.
- 1278. Word of the Ancient One's death
will spread through the Multiverse.
- 1279. Earth has no Sorcerer Supreme
to defend it.
- 1280. We must be ready.
- 1281. We'll be ready.
- 1282. So Earth has wizards now, huh?
- 1283. Tea?
- 1284. I don't drink tea.
- 1285. What do you drink?
- 1286. Not tea.
- 1287. So, I keep a watch list...
- 1288. of individuals and beings
from other realms
- 1289. that may be a threat to this world.
- 1290. Your adopted brother, Loki,
is one of those beings.
- 1291. Worthy inclusion.
- 1292. Yeah.
- 1293. So why bring him here to New York?
- 1294. It's a bit of a long story.
- 1295. Family drama, that kind of thing.
- 1296. But we're looking for my father.
- 1297. Oh, okay. So if you found Odin...
- 1298. you'd all return to Asgard promptly?
- 1299. Oh, yes. Promptly.
- 1300. Great!
- 1301. Allow me to help you.
- 1302. Can I help you?
- 1303. They carried you into Kamar-Taj
on a stretcher.
- 1304. Look at you now, Pangborn.
- 1305. Mordo.
- 1306. So what can I do for you, man?
- 1307. I've been away
for many months now,
- 1308. and I've had a revelation.
- 1309. The true purpose of a sorcerer...
- 1310. is to twist things out of
their proper shape...
- 1311. stealing power...
- 1312. perverting nature.
- 1313. Like you.
- 1314. I've stolen nothing. This is my power.
- 1315. - Mine.
- 1316. has a purpose.
- 1317. Why are you doing this?
- 1318. Because I see, at long last,
what's wrong with the world.
- 1319. Too many sorcerers.