- 1. ClTY OF GOD
- 2. Fuck, the chicken's getting away!
Go after that chicken, man!
- 3. Get that chicken!
- 4. if it's a good photo,
I'll get a job at the paper.
- 5. - You think so, Rocket?
- Got to take the risk.
- 6. You'd risk your life
for a picture? Forget it!
- 7. You think I want to meet up
with that motherfucking hood?
- 8. Get that chicken, bro!
- 9. Motherfucker!
I told you to grab that chicken!
- 10. Out of my way!
- 11. Get that chicken!
- 12. if Li'l Zé catches you,
he'll kill you.
- 13. Yeah, well,
he's got to find me first.
- 14. Hey, kid! Get that chicken!
- 15. Get that chicken!
- 16. Shit! The cops!
- 17. Don't fucking run off!
- 18. Give me that.
- 19. Hey, Melonhead!
You fucking fag!
- 20. A picture could change my life,
- 21. if you run away, they get you...
- 22. and if you stay,
they get you, too.
- 23. It's been that way
ever since I was a kid.
- 24. You're useless, man!
- 25. - Go get the ball!
- Fucking useless!
- 26. Hey, kid!
- 27. Give me the ball. I want to play.
- 28. You want to mess with me?
- 29. Fuck off.
- 30. What's your name?
- 31. Sorry.
I forgot to introduce myself.
- 32. My name's Rocket.
- 33. Some advice, Rocket...
- 34. Don't let Li'l Dice touch that ball.
- 35. You lose, pal.
- 36. That's Shaggy.
- 37. To tell the story
of the City of God...
- 38. I have to start with him.
- 39. 8...
- 40. 9, 1 0, 1 1 ...
- 41. But in order to tell Shaggy's story...
- 42. I must tell the story
of the Tender Trio.
- 43. Well, Shaggy?
The gas truck's coming.
- 44. What are you fucking around for?
You're not gonna chicken out...
- 45. The notorious Tender Trio
was legendary in the City of God.
- 46. Shaggy...
- 47. Clipper...
- 48. and Goose.
- 49. Tagging along were always
Li'l Dice and Benny...
- 50. Shaggy's brother.
- 51. I never had the courage
to follow my brother, Goose.
- 52. Okay, let's go.
Come on, Goose.
- 53. Let's go!
- 54. Stop this fucker.
- 55. Stop or I'll shoot, motherfucker!
- 56. Get out!
- 57. Hurry up, asshole!
Give me the money!
- 58. Who wants gas?
- 59. More! You want to die
for your boss' damn money?
- 60. Shitloads of money here!
- 61. You see, asshole?
- 62. Fuck! The cops!
- 63. Clear out!
This place is crawling with cops!
- 64. - Shaggy!
- The ball, Goose. It's yours!
- 65. Back then, I thought
the guys in the Tender Trio...
- 66. were the most dangerous hoods in Rio.
- 67. Here! Βuy some new balls.
- 68. But they were just amateurs.
- 69. Even my brother, Goose.
- 70. Rocket, give this money to Dad.
- 71. Βut don't tell him it's from me.
- 72. Okay?
- 73. - Hey, Stringy!
- 74. Look how much I've got.
- 75. We came to the City of God...
- 76. hoping to find paradise.
- 77. Many families were homeless...
- 78. due to flooding...
- 79. and acts of arson in the slums.
- 80. - A street light!
- We'll have electricity!
- 81. The bigwigs in government
didn't joke around.
- 82. Ηomeless?
Off to the City of God!
- 83. There was no electricity,
paved streets or transportation.
- 84. But for the rich and powerful,
our problems didn't matter.
- 85. We were too far removed...
- 86. from the picture postcard image
of Rio de Janeiro.
- 87. Do you think I can become
a lifeguard one day?
- 88. I don't know.
- 89. Βeing a lifeguard
is better than a fishmonger.
- 90. I don't want to sell fish.
- 91. - Are you insulting your father?
- 92. So what do you want to be?
- 93. I don't know.
- 94. Not a hood or a policeman.
- 95. Why not?
- 96. I'm scared of getting shot.
- 97. Put that thing away, kid.
- 98. Are you nuts?
Pointing that gun at me?
- 99. Take it easy with the kid, Goose.
- 100. - Li'l Dice is with me.
- Right. I'm a gangster too.
- 101. That gas truck didn't bring much.
- 102. So what?
We rob gas trucks every day.
- 103. One today, another tomorrow.
- 104. No, we need to rob
some rich guy's house.
- 105. That's the only way to get
out of here.
- 106. Hell, no. What you need
is to follow my plan.
- 107. That's it.
- 108. The little fart's getting too big
for his britches!
- 109. He gets high
and starts talking bullshit.
- 110. You two junkies...
- 111. aren't worth half as much
as that kid.
- 112. What you got in mind, Li'l Dice?
- 113. To be a real hood
you need more than just a gun.
- 114. You need ideas.
- 115. And Li'l Dice had them.
- 116. - Is that the motel?
- 117. We go in, grab the money
and get out. No killing, got that?
- 118. I need this.
- 119. - Don't touch my gun, kid.
- Don't ever do that again.
- 120. - Don't point at me.
- Fuck you.
- 121. Don't point your finger at me!
- 122. Stop acting like a baby!
- 123. Here's yours.
- 124. Awesome! Let's go!
- 125. - Not so fast!
- 126. You stay here and keep watch.
- 127. if the cops come,
shoot that window over there.
- 128. Why me?
Let that dork do that.
- 129. Look...
- 130. I gave you this great plan for free...
while that guy's absolutely useless!
- 131. - You just had the idea.
- 132. You're just a kid, remember?
- 133. You cover us, okay?
- 134. You'll get your turn.
Stop trying to rush things.
- 135. You stay here.
- 136. This is a holdup, bitch.
- 137. You should be studying or working.
- 138. You don't even look like hoodlums.
- 139. lnstead, you ought to be
working or studying, boy.
- 140. Shut up! What a pain in the ass!
- 141. Okay, Clipper?
- 142. Shall we go in?
- 143. I didn't order anything.
- 144. It's on the house, sir.
Hand over the money!
- 145. Keep calm. All I want is your cash.
- 146. - Don't point that.
- Your wallet!
- 147. Hey, man.
- 148. What kind of whorehouse is this?
- 149. - You from the church?
- Yes, brother.
- 150. Give it to me!
- 151. Slut!
- 152. You're fat and flabby!
- 153. Want to take her place?
- 154. What's going on?
- 155. The cops! Let's beat it!
- 156. Let's go!
- 157. Take that car.
I'll go get Li'l Dice.
- 158. Jesus, what a car!
- 159. Something fucked up.
Li'l Dice is gone.
- 160. The cops are shooting. Let's go!
- 161. Slow down! Hold on!
- 162. You said you knew how to drive.
- 163. I do, so cool it!
- 164. Turn! Watch out!
- 165. You fucking asshole!
- 166. Hey, I didn't do it on purpose.
- 167. No one saw anything.
- 168. So keep your mouths shut,
- 169. Hold on, I twisted my ankle.
- 170. Clipper fucked up his ankle.
- 171. It fucking hurts.
- 172. Take him into the woods.
I'll shoot to distract the cops.
- 173. - In God we trust.
- In God we trust.
- 174. Pass me the telephone, Penguin.
- 175. Shorty is another notorious guy
in the City of God.
- 176. But it's not yet time
to tell his story.
- 177. It fucking hurts, Goose.
- 178. Shut up.
- 179. You sound like a damn sissy, man.
- 180. Climb up!
- 181. No one saw anything?
- 182. How odd! A car crashes into a bar...
and no one saw a thing.
- 183. I suppose
you didn't see anything either?
- 184. As usual...
- 185. no one saw, no one knows.
- 186. So what's up, Shorty?
- 187. They're hiding in the woods.
- 188. Hello, Melonhead.
- 189. I have this feeling
that they're out in the woods.
- 190. The motherfuckers.
- 191. They're out in the woods.
- 192. Felipe, lock up the car.
Rangel, come with me.
- 193. I can't see a thing.
How the hell can they see?
- 194. Fucking jungle.
- 195. They stole a fortune at that motel.
- 196. I know.
- 197. What if we took the money?
- 198. Are you crazy?
- 199. I'm not getting mixed up in that.
- 200. I want to exterminate these guys.
- 201. What? Since when is stealing...
- 202. from niggers and thieves a crime?
It won't be hard to nab them.
- 203. I have a stoolie in the City.
- 204. if I catch one of them,
I'll kill him.
- 205. Maracana!
- 206. Open the door.
- 207. What's the matter?
- 208. The cops are after me.
- 209. Shaggy!
- 210. The cops are on my ass!
- 211. Hide me!
- 212. Quick, come in.
- 213. Shit...
- 214. I thought the cops
would be down there all night.
- 215. I had a vision, Goose.
- 216. You been smoking something?
- 217. - You've had a job, right?
- 218. What's it like?
What do people say?
- 219. I worked with my father.
- 220. And fathers talk a lot of shit.
- 221. You know what, Goose?
- 222. I'm getting out.
- 223. I don't want to die.
- 224. Wait!
The cops are still down there.
- 225. I don't give a shit.
- 226. I'm going back to the church.
- 227. "l will say of the Lord..."
- 228. "He is my refuge and my fortress,
in Him will I trust."
- 229. - Stop, motherfucker!
- Don't move!
- 230. Stop, or I'll shoot!
- 231. "... shall abide under the shadow
of the Almighty."
- 232. The holdup at the motel went down...
- 233. as the bloodiest in history.
- 234. The destinies of the outlaws
then took different paths.
- 235. I don't think this guy
was involved in the heist.
- 236. See here?
- 237. He's a worker, not a hoodlum.
- 238. Destiny put Clipper
back into the hands of God.
- 239. Shaggy was in Bernice's hands.
- 240. And Goose
was in my father's hands.
- 241. Why do you do these things?
You think I'm a fool?
- 242. From now on, you'll work with me.
- 243. Your younger brother
will keep an eye on you.
- 244. You listen to me.
- 245. if I catch you with money
that isn't yours...
- 246. I'll kill you.
- 247. Get changed!
You start work immediately.
- 248. Ηaving a hood as a brother sucks.
- 249. You always end up footing the bill.
- 250. Don't worry.
- 251. Dad's mad at me...
- 252. but he'll get over it.
- 253. Give me that, Rocket.
It's not for you.
- 254. You have to study.
- 255. Getting shot doesn't scare you?
- 256. I'm a hood
because I got no brain.
- 257. Βut you're smart.
You should study.
- 258. I go to school because
I don't like physical work.
- 259. Promise me something.
- 260. That you'll never touch this gun.
- 261. Let's shake.
- 262. We'd better hurry.
- 263. I'm gonna sell a lot of fish.
And don't laugh.
- 264. You grinned when I got slapped.
- 265. - Who, me?
- I saw you.
- 266. What is it, Shaggy?
Cat got your tongue?
- 267. Your fidgeting behind me
makes me nervous.
- 268. I'm thinking of what to say to you.
- 269. You're thinking, too?
- 270. Don't.
It'll be your downfall.
- 271. My heart has chosen you.
And I follow my heart.
- 272. Are you pulling my leg?
- 273. You never heard of love
at first sight?
- 274. Hoods don't love, they desire.
- 275. You cut down everything I say.
- 276. Hoods don't talk, they smooth-talk.
- 277. Well, I'll stop
wasting my breath on you.
- 278. Hoods don't stop,
they take a break.
- 279. Talking to you about love
sure is complicated.
- 280. It's not love,
it's a con game.
- 281. It's just that I love you.
- 282. You just might end up
- 283. After the holdup,
there were constant police raids...
- 284. in the slum.
- 285. Every day, someone went to jail...
- 286. someone was nailed.
- 287. But no one had seen anything.
- 288. No one knew anything.
- 289. No one blabbed to the cops...
- 290. about where the thieves
were hiding out.
- 291. Shaggy...
- 292. Why don't you change your life?
- 293. Get a job instead of lying around
in bed all day.
- 294. - Good-for-nothing!
- What do you mean?
- 295. You think you can make money
working? Go ahead.
- 296. That's right, Shaggy...
- 297. What do you think I do all day?
- 298. Take it easy, baby.
- 299. You know all I want...
- 300. is to be with you,
have kids, and a farm...
- 301. raise chickens,
grow pot and get high.
- 302. Sure! For me,
that's nothing but smooth-talk.
- 303. What? I almost got rich
with that motel job.
- 304. Are you kidding?
- 305. The cops are still looking for you...
- 306. because of the deaths in the motel.
- 307. What deaths?
What are you talking about?
- 308. Did you see anything?
You don't know shit, so shut up.
- 309. You weren't there.
I didn't kill anyone.
- 310. I bet it's those fucking policemen...
- 311. and I'm the one taking the rap.
- 312. They even nabbed Li'l Dice.
- 313. So don't bring it up again!
- 314. - I don't care who did it.
- It wasn't me.
- 315. Let me just say...
- 316. I don't want my kid's father
to be a hoodlum.
- 317. You're all alone, Shaggy.
- 318. - All alone?
- That's right!
- 319. - Clipper's gone religious.
- 320. - Goose is working.
- 321. - And you?
- I haven't changed.
- 322. So what?
They've deserted me, that's all.
- 323. Then I'm deserting you, too.
- 324. I'm splitting, Shaggy.
Come with me, if you want.
- 325. Otherwise, I'll go alone.
- 326. Fish for sale!
- 327. My brother had promised
to stop messing around.
- 328. But a hood doesn't stop...
- 329. a hood takes a break.
- 330. Goose began messing around
with Shorty's wife.
- 331. I have trout.
Βut for special customers like you...
- 332. I also have a kisser fish.
- 333. Hey, that's a mullet!
- 334. Doesn't your husband...
go down on you?
- 335. No.
- 336. My husband uses his tongue on me.
- 337. For about half an hour.
- 338. And from behind?
Do you let him?
- 339. Good God, no.
Doesn't it hurt?
- 340. The first few times.
- 341. Then you'll see, it's fantastic.
Βut you need a banana.
- 342. What for?
- 343. You're missing
the good things in life, girl!
- 344. You take a banana, warm it up.
- 345. Put it up your thing
while he takes you from behind.
- 346. It's a real rush!
- 347. Ask your husband.
- 348. I couldn't. You don't know him.
- 349. He's liable to beat me.
- 350. Try him. Men go wild
for freaky shit like that.
- 351. Motherfucking nigger!
- 352. Slut!
- 353. Whoring bitch!
- 354. Rocket, give me your shorts.
- 355. Take them off, damn it!
- 356. I'm not going naked in the street.
- 357. You want your brother to die?
- 358. Give me your shorts. Now!
- 359. Give me your shirt.
- 360. Your shorts! Hurry up!
- 361. I knew it. It's always me
who forks up for that bum.
- 362. The bastard ran off.
That's his brother.
- 363. - That brat there?
- I'll castrate that fucker.
- 364. Fish! Fish for sale!
- 365. Hey, kid, come over here.
- 366. - Where's your brother?
- He's not working today.
- 367. - Oh, yeah? Get in.
- I didn't do anything.
- 368. - Get in!
- What about my fish?
- 369. Hurry it up, kid!
- 370. I don't want to lose my fish!
- 371. Forget your fish.
- 372. Give me that.
- 373. My father will kill me.
- 374. That doesn't matter.
- 375. Let's go. There's nothing here.
- 376. That day, my father swore he never
wanted to see my brother again.
- 377. Let's go, Felipe.
- 378. And he never did.
- 379. No one ever saw him
in the slum again.
- 380. The story of the Tender Trio
was coming to an end.
- 381. Li'l Dice?
- 382. Shit, man. I thought
you were a goner at the motel.
- 383. You're fucking loaded!
- 384. Don't, Βenny.
That's our money.
- 385. Fuck you. Cut the crap
and give me the money.
- 386. Βenny...
- 387. Tell your brother Shaggy
that Shorty is squealing.
- 388. I'm leaving the slum.
- 389. But Shorty had his hands full...
- 390. Let's go see, Stringy.
- 391. A neighbor called the police
- 392. The tabloids went to town:
- 393. "Man Buries Wife Alive
in the City of God."
- 394. Along with reporters,
the place was swarming with cops.
- 395. The hoodlums took off.
- 396. - You want to die?
- It's you who's gonna die...
- 397. if you don't do what I say.
And show the lady more respect.
- 398. Let's go, damn it!
- 399. - There are cops ahead.
- Fuck them, let's go.
- 400. - Where to?
- Anywhere, just go.
- 401. What's the matter?
- 402. Have mercy!
This car is a piece ofjunk.
- 403. - My ass! Start the damn thing!
- It needs a push.
- 404. Push, Shaggy!
- 405. Push!
- 406. You?
- 407. You want to arrest the thieves?
- 408. Nab that guy over there!
- 409. Run, Shaggy!
- 410. Stop the car!
- 411. This way! He's over here.
- 412. We got that son of a bitch!
- 413. - The bastard!
- He's a murderer.
- 414. On the day Shaggy died,
I remember the crowds...
- 415. and a camera.
- 416. I'd always wanted to have one.
- 417. Let's go to school.
- 418. - Well?
- Let's go to the beach.
- 419. Βut we have an exam.
- 420. So what?
Εveryone else is at the beach.
- 421. Come on, let's go!
- 422. She's in a bikini,
but doesn't want to go.
- 423. What's that saying you have?
- 424. "The sun is for everyone. The beach,
for those who deserve it."
- 425. I bought my first camera
when I was 16.
- 426. Like all poor people,
I started at the bottom...
- 427. with the world's cheapest model.
- 428. So, Rocket? How are things going?
- 429. Any luck getting laid yet?
- 430. Zilch.
- 431. Angelica...
I was crazy about her.
- 432. So, Rocket, still clicking away?
- 433. She was gorgeous and the only
girl in our gang who screwed..
- 434. I wanted to lose my virginity
- 435. With her, buddy?
- 436. - She's got a guy.
- So? I'm not jealous.
- 437. Her father's a sergeant.
- 438. No one's perfect.
- 439. Closer together!
- 440. I was the official photographer
of our gang.
- 441. The gang of groovies.
- 442. Everyone paid
to have copies of the pictures.
- 443. Tiago,
- 444. move back a little.
- 445. Is this okay?
- 446. Perfect.
- 447. I need a joint.
- 448. lnstead of smoking, man,
- 449. you should snort coke.
It's far out.
- 450. You snort, Tiago?
I prefer a good toke.
- 451. if you like, I can get it for you.
- 452. You can?
Then go on, move you ass!
- 453. Βut the choice stuff is coke.
- 454. That's a real "nercotic".
- 455. Narcotic!
- 456. Your mouth is all salty, Tiago.
- 457. Screw you.
- 458. You want to be a lifeguard, Stringy?
- 459. - You're never in the water.
- My dad's a lifeguard.
- 460. I'll bet you a beer I swim better.
- 461. You're on.
- 462. if you like,
- 463. I can go get you a joint at Βlacky's.
- 464. I'd have done anything to please her.
- 465. Buy her pot, coke.
- 466. I could go to the top dogs
- 467. to buy quality stuff at a good price
- 468. because the local boss
- 469. was a former classmate: Blacky.
- 470. Who is it?
- 471. Rocket.
- 472. - How are things down there?
- 473. - And the kids?
- Fine too.
- 474. You want to buy or smoke a joint?
- 475. - Βuy.
- Come in, buddy.
- 476. Who is it?
- 477. This was Blacky's turf.
- 478. But it hadn't always been his.
- 479. - Hey, Βlacky.
- Fuck, Li'l Dice.
- 480. You show up like this at my place?
- 481. Who said it was your place?
- 482. Dona Zélia began selling drugs here
- 483. in order to raise her daughters.
- 484. She also gave away drugs
to boys at times
- 485. in return for special favors.
- 486. Ηer favorite was "Big Boy".
- 487. One day, he grew very big!
- 488. Zélia's operation was so amateur
- 489. that he had no trouble
seizing it from her.
- 490. Big Boy used the neighborhood kids
- 491. What about my pot?
- 492. Stick it up your ass.
- 493. The best dealer
- 494. was Carrot.
- 495. Ηe earned Big Boy's trust
- 496. and moved up to become a manager.
- 497. Βlacky, 20 for us and 5 for you, okay?
- 498. One day a buddy of Carrot's showed up.
- 499. Ηis name was Aristotle.
- 500. My wife needs an operation.
- 501. Ηis family had taken Carrot in
- 502. when he was down and out.
- 503. He couldn't refuse to help
a brother in need.
- 504. Here's the dope. I want the dough
no later than Friday.
- 505. - You've bailed me out, brother.
- 506. He's my buddy,
practically my brother, Βig Βoy.
- 507. Give him another week.
- 508. Εither you kill him or I'll kill you.
- 509. Carrot had no choice.
- 510. I said Friday.
- 511. Don't do it, man.
- 512. Carrot wanted to kill Big Boy,
- 513. but it wasn't necessary.
- 514. Big Boy hadn't paid off the cops.
Ηe died in jail.
- 515. Carrot took everything
that belonged to Big Boy,
- 516. but didn't want the apartment.
- 517. The place was ill-fated.
- 518. Carrot gave it to his most trusted
- 519. Here, 150 bags.
- 520. Give me more.
- 521. That's how he took over
the local trade.
- 522. But not for long.
- 523. Who is it?
- 524. Go see.
- 525. - Hey, Βlacky.
- Fuck, Li'l Dice.
- 526. You show up like this at my place?
- 527. Who said it was your place?
- 528. Yeah, who?
- 529. Something wrong, Li'l Dice?
- 530. Li'l Dice, my ass.
My name is Li'l Zé now.
- 531. Li'l Zé had always wanted
to be the boss of the City of God,
- 532. even since he was called "Li'l Dice".
- 533. They're having fun and not me?
- 534. I want to get out of here.
- 535. What, kid?
Your friend took everything.
- 536. What do you want?
- 537. That night,
Li'l Dice satisfied his thirst to kill,
- 538. though he knew
Shaggy would never forgive him.
- 539. To avoid being punished,
he left the City of God.
- 540. He had to work hard for peanuts.
- 541. Yeah, Βenny!
- 542. Li'l Dice and Benny managed well.
- 543. They had the gift of crime.
- 544. - You have more money than me.
- It was my idea.
- 545. The only problem was running
into an older hoodlum
- 546. like my brother, Goose.
- 547. Li'l Dice?
- 548. Shit, man, I thought you were a goner
at the motel.
- 549. You're fucking loaded!
- 550. Don't Βenny. That's our money.
- 551. Βenny, tell your brother Shaggy
that Shorty is squealing.
- 552. I'm leaving the slum.
- 553. Goose!
- 554. From Shaggy. You'll need it.
- 555. From on hit to the next,
Li'l Dice grew up.
- 556. At 18, he was the most respected hood
in the City of God.
- 557. You're of age now, watch out!
- 558. Ηe was one of the most wanted
robbers in Rio.
- 559. Li'l Dice, how's it going?
- 560. Happy birthday.
I'm so glad you've turned 18.
- 561. Get lost, Tuba!
- 562. Εxcuse me, amigo.
- 563. Give me a beer!
- 564. Didn't you see me, prick?
- 565. - Sorry, man.
- Up yours!
- 566. The next time,
I'll waste you, asshole.
- 567. Fag!
- 568. Li'l Dice was ready for anything.
- 569. I wanna talk.
- 570. And he was itching to start.
- 571. Who are the fattest cats here?
- 572. There are tons of them.
- 573. Look at Jerry Adriani
- 574. gold chain, snazzy clothes.
- 575. Look at Pereira and the chick he's with.
- 576. Βernice. She was my brother's girl.
- 577. Check out his car.
- 578. Then there's Βlacky.
Covered in gold.
- 579. Gold chain, gold watch...
- 580. Look at Carrot and his car.
- 581. They're all dealers.
- 582. They're all fucking loaded.
- 583. Holdups bring in chickenshit.
- 584. - The big bucks are in drugs.
- I see.
- 585. Εspecially in selling coke.
- 586. - Βut you need money.
- Not really...
- 587. We'll kill these clowns
and take over their business.
- 588. - When do we start?
- 589. Εxu-The-Devil
is the light that shines forth.
- 590. He brought you here.
- 591. Why remain in the City of God,
where God has forgotten you?
- 592. I know what you want.
- 593. You want power.
- 594. I have something
which will give it to you.
- 595. To change your fate,
I give you my protector, boy.
- 596. Βut you mustn't fornicate
with the amulet...
- 597. otherwise, you'll die.
- 598. The boy is no longer called
- 599. but Li'l Zé.
- 600. Li'l Zé will grow up.
- 601. You'll stick with me,
I'll stick with you.
- 602. Li'l Dice became Li'l Zé,
and he began to kill.
- 603. Ηe started one morning,
taking over Jerry Adriani's racket.
- 604. By the night,
- 605. almost all of the rackets
in the slum were his.
- 606. The only business he didn't touch
- 607. since he was a friend of Benny's.
- 608. All that was left was the apartment...
- 609. But that would be easy.
- 610. Who is it?
- 611. - Hey, Βlacky.
- Fuck. Li'l Dice.
- 612. You show up like this
at my place?
- 613. Who said it was your place?
- 614. Something wrong, Li'l Dice?
- 615. Li'l Dice, my ass.
My name is Li'l Zé now.
- 616. Li'l Zé, see?
- 617. - You're a goner, bastard.
- Don't kill him. He understands.
- 618. Right, Βlacky?
- 619. It's all yours.
- 620. I don't want no trouble, okay?
- 621. I should have taken this chance
to avenge my brother's death.
- 622. You'll live, but you'll work for us.
- 623. Understand?
- 624. That's easy to say...
- 625. - Where are you going?
- He's clean, Li'l Zé.
- 626. What's your name, kid?
- 627. - Rocket.
- He's Goose's brother.
- 628. - Goose?
- The late Goose.
- 629. Quick, kid. Run along.
- 630. Tell everyone that this business
- 631. now belongs to Li'l Zé.
And that we'll be selling coke.
- 632. Got that?
- 633. Cocaine.
- 634. - Where's the turf?
- Over there, on the left.
- 635. Selling drugs is
like any other business.
- 636. The supplier
delivers the merchandise,
- 637. which is then packaged
on the premises.
- 638. It's done in an assembly line.
- 639. Boring as hell...
- 640. Pot is wrapped up in "lids",
- 641. Cocaine is put into packets,
- 642. and then into bundles of 10 or 100.
- 643. You can even make a career
in dealing drugs.
- 644. The kids start out as delivery boys.
- 645. They're paid to run errands
- 646. and take messages.
- 647. Then they become lookouts.
- 648. If the police arrive,
- 649. the kites disappear
and everyone scrams.
- 650. Later, you become a dealer
or a "vapor".
- 651. When the heat's on,
the "vapor" quickly evaporates.
- 652. Moving up the ladder,
you have the "soldier".
- 653. And if the guy is good at math,
he can become a manager,
- 654. the boss' right-hand man.
- 655. The police receive their part
and don't make trouble.
- 656. Since Li'l Zé killed off
all of his ennemies,
- 657. there were no shoot-outs
in the City of God.
- 658. You could drive there.
- 659. The playboys felt safe
buying their drugs there.
- 660. The City teemed with addicts
- 661. and Li'l Zé grew rich.
- 662. I can't decide which to wear.
- 663. This one's cool.
- 664. If dealing were legal, Li'l Zé
would have been man of the year.
- 665. But things were risky for me.
I was afraid of him.
- 666. And he was everywhere.
- 667. What a drag this guy is.
- 668. Whenever I wanted to smoke a joint
- 669. I had to go see Carrot.
- 670. Half a lid.
- 671. Thanks.
- 672. But it was worth it.
I only smoked with Angelica.
- 673. She and Tiago had split up,
- 674. so I made my move.
- 675. I was about to win her over...
- 676. These pictures are really great.
- 677. You think so?
- 678. I look good here.
- 679. - You look beautiful everywhere.
- I'm serious.
- 680. Me too.
- 681. A setting sun,
a deserted beach...
- 682. a long kiss...
- 683. I was sure this was it...
- 684. But the Runts arrived.
- 685. Can I have a toke?
- 686. Here.
- 687. I'm going. See you later.
- 688. Hold on, Angelica!
- 689. - Your joint, man.
- Keep it.
- 690. What a cool guy.
- 691. That was my first run-in
with the Runts.
- 692. Steak and fries, Βenny.
- 693. Great! Here...
- 694. A tip for you.
- 695. Really? Thanks.
- 696. - Want to eat something?
- 697. Want to trade this watch?
- 698. After Angelica left him...
- 699. Tiago began snorting
more and more.
- 700. Is it your grandfather's?
- 701. No, my dad's.
- 702. When a guy is really hooked...
- 703. he ends up in the hands
of the dealer.
- 704. - Two bags of ten.
- One of ten.
- 705. Okay, one bag.
- 706. For Tiago, it was different.
- 707. Watch out!
- 708. Sorry, godfather.
- 709. Godfather, my ass.
Did I baptize your kids?
- 710. I'm sorry.
- 711. Now beat it.
- 712. Βlacky, lend me your bike.
- 713. Hey, want to race?
- 714. Where to?
- 715. Up to the highway.
- 716. - Okay.
- Ready? Go!
- 717. Pretty tough, wasn't it?
- 718. Yeah, you're good.
- 719. Where'd you buy those sneakers?
- 720. - Not far from here.
- The shirt, as well?
- 721. - No, uptown.
- 722. It's a designer shirt.
- 723. if I give you money
can you buy me one?
- 724. Shorts and a shirt?
- 725. Βuy whatever you can.
- 726. - What size are you?
- Measure me.
- 727. - With what, man?
- Shit, with your hand.
- 728. Shoe size?
- 729. Turn around.
- 730. Hey, Βenny!
- 731. You got the digs?
- 732. - Just one pair of pants?
- No, there's more.
- 733. - You like it?
- 734. There's some change.
- 735. Keep it.
- 736. Cool.
- 737. This is Βenny.
- 738. - This is Rocket.
- Hi. I know him.
- 739. I've become a playboy.
- 740. Hey, gangsters, listen to this...
- 741. Watch out...
- 742. Groovies shake their asses
before laying a big one.
- 743. Oh, yeah?
- 744. Fuck off, you bastards!
- 745. Making fun of me?
- 746. Asshole!
- 747. Βenny, didn't I tell you
to shoot Carrot?
- 748. He's endangering the slum.
- 749. - Cool it. Go talk to him.
- I'm gonna kill that fucker.
- 750. - Stop trying to wipe out everyone.
- I'm gonna kill him.
- 751. Don't worry, Angelica.
The guys in here are cool.
- 752. Sure, I'm not worried.
- 753. You gonna dance, Βenny?
What about Carrot?
- 754. Go talk to the guy.
- 755. Benny was the coolest hood
in the City of God.
- 756. Ηe gave away pot,
paid for drinks.
- 757. Li'l Zé was the opposite.
Ηe had one obsession:
- 758. to be the boss of the slum.
- 759. Ηe wanted an excuse to take over
- 760. - Hey, Carrot.
- What's up?
- 761. You shouldn't let the Runts
do holdups in the slum.
- 762. You look after your section,
I'll look after mine.
- 763. Got that?
I'm gonna get a drink.
- 764. - Hey, Rocket! How's it going?
- 765. - Hey, Βenny!
- How's it going?
- 766. - Hey, Tiago. How are you?
- 767. - May l?
- 768. Want to dance?
- 769. Is it okay at your place?
- 770. No problem.
- 771. My parents are out.
You'll be all alone with her.
- 772. You can lose your virginity tonight.
- 773. Not so loud, man!
- 774. Εveryone will hear.
- 775. - You're beautiful.
- Thank you.
- 776. Shit!
- 777. Nothing's happening.
- 778. Look, man, I know the Runts
are associated with you.
- 779. Think I'm a sucker,
you little brat?
- 780. - You want to take my racket?
- I want to talk to you...
- 781. because you're fucking useless.
Get your hand away!
- 782. The Runts are screwing up
our security, man.
- 783. Give the baby his bottle.
- 784. Carrot, just ask the kids
to cool it, okay?
- 785. Carrot's useless. He lets the Runts
do holdups in his section.
- 786. The police come around...
- 787. and that's bad for business.
- 788. I'll do it only because I like you.
- 789. Βut you need to change
that baby's diapers.
- 790. I'll show you who's the baby...
- 791. Tell the kids that in my slum
no one robs or rapes!
- 792. No wonder you're "Little" Zé!
- 793. The Runts were kids
who didn't respect the laws...
- 794. of the slum.
- 795. They would mug residents,
hold up bakeries...
- 796. especially in Carrot's section.
- 797. What are you doing?
- 798. You rob me all the time!
- 799. But they didn't know...
- 800. that the City had a boss now.
- 801. THANK YOU FOR CHOOSlNG US
- 802. The City had become much safer...
- 803. for residents.
- 804. There were hardly
any holdups now.
- 805. You just had to go see Li'l Zé.
- 806. - Let's go.
- Don't hurt the Runts.
- 807. I won't touch them.
- 808. - Hi, Steak.
- How's it going, Li'l Zé?
- 809. - Want to take a walk, Steak?
- With you? Hold on...
- 810. Mom, I'm going out with my friends.
- 811. That's the best chicken I ever ate.
- 812. The old guy was scared shitless.
- 813. - Feeling sorry for him?
- You're crazy, man!
- 814. Why not stick up a bank
or a supermarket?
- 815. Peanuts. Drugs are where it's at.
- 816. Yeah, selling drugs.
- 817. Βut you have to start out
as a delivery boy.
- 818. You want to be a delivery boy?
- 819. It's a rip-off.
It takes a long time... to move up.
- 820. You have to wait till an older guy
gets killed to move up.
- 821. I don't want to wait till
some guy croaks.
- 822. I'm gonna do what Li'l Zé did.
- 823. I'm gonna wipe them all out.
- 824. Talking about me, kid?
The boss is here.
- 825. Come back, you brat!
- 826. They're quick, those kids.
- 827. They run fast.
- 828. They're all gone except you.
- 829. Any others?
- 830. You're gonna pay
for the ones that escaped.
- 831. You choose. Shall I shoot you
in the hand or foot?
- 832. Come on, choose!
Hand or foot?
- 833. Choose, for fuck's sake!
- 834. - Hand.
- The little hand, eh?
- 835. Hey, Steak 'n' fries,
let's see what you're made of.
- 836. Choose and then kill one of them.
- 837. Leave it. I'll do it.
- 838. Βutt out, Tuba. This is for him.
- 839. Go on, Steak.
- 840. Go on, choose one and shoot.
- 841. Come on, I haven't got all day.
- 842. Kill one of them.
- 843. I want to see what you're made of.
- 844. Well done!
- 845. You did it.
- 846. You're one of us.
- 847. Very good, Steak.
- 848. Get up, brat.
Go back to your rat hole.
- 849. Without limping!
- 850. Tell your buddies that no one
robs in Li'l Zé's slum.
- 851. Go now. And no limping, okay?
- 852. Cool, Li'l Zé.
- 853. While Li'l Zé was winning
the respect of the residents...
- 854. Benny was winning Angelica's heart.
- 855. As for me, I was still a virgin,
single and broke.
- 856. I had no choice.
- 857. I had to take a job...
in a supermarket.
- 858. I worked long hours
- 859. I wanted to be laid off...
- 860. so I could buy a camera
with the severance pay.
- 861. But things
didn't work out that way.
- 862. - It's the guy on the beach.
- Hey, bro!
- 863. - Still smoking good stuff?
- 864. That guy's too cool.
- 865. Hey, kid. Come here.
Lift up your shirt.
- 866. We give these slum kids a chance
and they don't appreciate it.
- 867. - What about my severance pay?
- What severance pay?
- 868. That fucking manager thought
I was part of the gang.
- 869. You're fired for serious misconduct.
- 870. Get out. Lmmediately!
- 871. I didn't get a single cent.
- 872. It was like a message from God:
- 873. "Ηonesty doesn't pay, sucker."
- 874. The bus sure took
a long time to come.
- 875. I should already be at work.
- 876. Shit, hide that gun.
Are you nuts?
- 877. It was Goose's.
It's broken anyway.
- 878. The company runs few buses
on this line.
- 879. It's never anyone's fault.
- 880. It's always someone else.
It's my grandfather's fault.
- 881. And then,
they make us squeeze!
- 882. Have a nice evening, ma'am.
- 883. I know that guy.
- 884. He lives in the City.
He'll recognize us.
- 885. So? He couldn't care less
if we take his boss' money.
- 886. Okay. Let's go.
- 887. Well, boys?
Aren't you from the City of God?
- 888. Yeah.
- 889. I'll let one of you through
- 890. You should study...
- 891. so you can get out of the slum.
- 892. It's too full of cops and hoodlums.
- 893. Did you study?
- 894. I was in school and in the army.
- 895. I was the best marksman
in my barracks.
- 896. This job was all
I could find afterwards.
- 897. Βut I do karate.
if I'm hired somewhere...
- 898. I'll leave the slum.
- 899. Do you fight, then?
- 900. I'm for peace and love.
- 901. Βut if I have to...
- 902. Ηe didn't know he would have to.
- 903. But not yet. It's not time
to tell Knockout Ned's story.
- 904. - We should be going.
- Let's go.
- 905. - Goodbye.
- 906. See you.
- 907. I couldn't do it.
He was such a cool guy.
- 908. Yeah, totally.
That's Gelson's brother.
- 909. Let's go home.
- 910. There's nothing here
except that bakery over there.
- 911. What will you say?
- 912. I don't know.
"This is a holdup."
- 913. Here's my number.
- 914. - You like soul or groovy parties?
- 915. That one didn't work either.
- 916. The counter girl was just too foxy.
And she flirted with me.
- 917. Will you call me?
- 918. I couldn't pull a gun on her.
She was such a cool girl.
- 919. Yeah, I agree.
- 920. Εxcuse me.
- 921. I'm lost.
How do I get to Βarra?
- 922. - To Βarra?
- 923. I thought: "Tough luck
for this guy from Sao Paulo."
- 924. In fact, we were going there.
- 925. You're kidding.
- 926. - You're a lifesaver.
- That's right.
- 927. Because no guy from Sao Paulo
could ever be cool.
- 928. The body's over here.
- 929. We found it, Chief.
- 930. The forensic expert!
- 931. - Not a pretty sight, eh?
- You said it.
- 932. - What a great singer.
- You like him?
- 933. I love music. What about you?
- 934. Tell me, do you also like pot?
- 935. I can't say I've never tried it.
- 936. The devil recognizes his own.
- 937. Do you have papers?
- 938. I think so.
- 939. I have some.
- 940. I'd always been an ace
at rolling a joint.
- 941. If I'd had the same skill with girls...
- 942. I'd never have lost so many chances
to lose my virginity.
- 943. For a Sao Paulo guy,
you're really cool.
- 944. Thanks, bro.
- 945. What did they use?
- 946. A club or a rock.
- 947. And the child?
- 948. - Untouched.
- Thank goodness.
- 949. How long ago?
- 950. About four hours.
- 951. - Can we take it away?
- Go ahead.
- 952. The murderer...
- 953. has to be from the City of God.
- 954. You bastard! You motherfucker!
- 955. Did you have to kill your chick
in the slum?
- 956. The place is crawling
with cops now!
- 957. Come on, Li'l Zé.
- 958. Come on? Fuck you!
- 959. I had to avenge my honor.
- 960. Her family's turned me in.
You won't have any problems.
- 961. The cops are everywhere
because of you.
- 962. You're dead meat, asshole.
- 963. Let up, Li'l Zé.
You've punished him enough.
- 964. You know the law.
- 965. Anyone who kills in my slum
has to die as an example.
- 966. That was his business, Li'l Zé.
- 967. Listen, you son of a bitch,
get out of the slum.
- 968. You showed no respect, understand?
- 969. You know what, Βenny?
- 970. You're too nice. If you raise
a snake, expect to get bitten.
- 971. He wasn't worth shit.
- 972. A dirty traitor.
- 973. Shut up, Tuba.
- 974. I'm going for a walk with my girl.
- 975. Okay, be careful.
- 976. When things calm down...
- 977. we'll get back to our business
with Carrot, okay?
- 978. You need a girlfriend, Li'l Zé.
- 979. Know what I'm thinking, Βenny?
- 980. That I'm so sexy?
- 981. That, too. Βut I mean,
you know what we could do?
- 982. Make love again.
- 983. I'm serious.
- 984. We could go away from here.
This violence sucks.
- 985. Go where?
- 986. To a farm.
- 987. We're really hippies at heart,
- 988. A farm?
- 989. Peace and love?
- 990. Benny was just too cool
to go on being a hoodlum.
- 991. Ηe succeeded in getting everybody
together for his goodbye party.
- 992. The gangs...
- 993. The soul crowd...
- 994. The religious crowd...
- 995. One day, I'll go to church.
- 996. The samba crowd...
- 997. The groovy crowd...
- 998. And Li'l Zé,
who had never danced in his life.
- 999. Want to dance with me?
- 1000. - I didn't hear...
- Want to dance?
- 1001. No, thank you. I'm with someone.
- 1002. Hey, Rocket!
- 1003. Come. I want to talk to you, buddy.
- 1004. You can't just split with that chick.
- 1005. Why not?
- 1006. I'm gonna go live on a farm,
smoke pot, listen to rock.
- 1007. You want to throw away everything
we've accomplished for that bitch?
- 1008. She's not a bitch. She's my girl.
- 1009. We'll take over Carrot's business.
It'll be yours.
- 1010. Leave Carrot alone.
He's a good guy.
- 1011. He's a motherfucker!
- 1012. See?
Εveryone's a motherfucker to you.
- 1013. That's why I'm leaving.
- 1014. I'm your friend,
but I'm getting out.
- 1015. You got to understand,
I have to go.
- 1016. I love you, man,
but I've had enough.
- 1017. Motherfucker, let's see
if you have any balls.
- 1018. What is this?
- 1019. You want to die?
Fuck off, bitch!
- 1020. Strip, nigger.
I want to see your ass.
- 1021. Hurry up!
- 1022. Take it all off! Now!
- 1023. I want to see your ass.
- 1024. Come on, faggot!
- 1025. Let's go, nigger!
- 1026. Show your ass to everyone!
- 1027. Please...
- 1028. Strip, damn it!
- 1029. Hurry it up!
- 1030. What's up, Βenny?
- 1031. This camera for a bag of coke?
- 1032. I don't deal anymore.
- 1033. Come on, do it for me.
You're my friend.
- 1034. - Is it stolen?
- It's okay, it's my dad's.
- 1035. Your dad's?
- 1036. Give it to Li'l Zé.
- 1037. Rocket would love this camera.
- 1038. - Yeah, here.
- 1039. Here I am!
- 1040. - You want to be a photographer?
- 1041. Here's a present.
- 1042. Shit, dude! This is great!
- 1043. Now move your ass.
- 1044. Shake it!
- 1045. You'll take some great pictures.
- 1046. Give me that.
- 1047. - Give me back the camera!
- 1048. What's your problem?
Are you crazy?
- 1049. They've killed Βenny!
- 1050. Fuck! Call an ambulance!
- 1051. Where's the motherfucker
who did it?
- 1052. Zé, Βenny is dead.
- 1053. Call a doctor!
- 1054. Get out of here, bitch!
It's your fault!
- 1055. Motherfucker!
- 1056. Where's Carrot?
- 1057. Βlacky's here.
- 1058. He's in trouble.
- 1059. I'm fucked.
- 1060. - Why?
- I'm fucked.
- 1061. And you are, too.
- 1062. I think I killed Βenny.
- 1063. Li'l Zé's coming to take your place.
- 1064. We can get him.
He's in the dance hall.
- 1065. You killed Βenny?
- 1066. I didn't mean to. He moved.
I was aiming at Li'l Zé.
- 1067. Come on, let's go.
- 1068. Βlacky...
- 1069. You killed the coolest hood
in the City of God.
- 1070. Let's go get Li'l Zé.
- 1071. Carrot knew that without Benny only
a miracle could save his business.
- 1072. We're fucked, man.
- 1073. But what better place...
- 1074. for a miracle to happen
than in the City of God?
- 1075. Look who's here.
My sugar babe.
- 1076. - Let me by.
- Give me a kiss, girl.
- 1077. Let me by, please.
Have you seen what you look like?
- 1078. Come on, Li'l Zé.
- 1079. Hi, honey.
Εverything okay, baby?
- 1080. The problem was simple.
- 1081. Li'l Zé was ugly.
- 1082. Knockout Ned was handsome.
- 1083. Knockout Ned could get any girl.
- 1084. Li'l Zé had to pay or use force.
- 1085. It was a duel between
the handsome good guy...
- 1086. and the ugly bad guy.
- 1087. Let me go!
- 1088. Just enjoy it.
- 1089. There's no use fighting.
You're mine now.
- 1090. Hey, faggot,
your broad's really hot!
- 1091. I can't even look her
in the face now.
- 1092. Why didn't that fucker kill me?
- 1093. Hold on...
- 1094. Why didn't I kill that fucker?
- 1095. Let's go back.
- 1096. - What about Carrot?
- We'll get back to him.
- 1097. You gonna kill him?
- 1098. Knockout Ned, your chick's a slut.
- 1099. Come out, motherfucker!
- 1100. Come out, you loser!
- 1101. Take it easy...
- 1102. I'm going out. Let me go.
- 1103. Gelson! Come back, son!
- 1104. This doesn't concern you, kid.
We're here for your brother.
- 1105. Let's talk, we can work it out.
My brother's a peaceful guy.
- 1106. Is he too good-looking
to come talk to me? Call him.
- 1107. He hasn't done anything.
- 1108. You know who I am?
- 1109. - Li'l Zé, man.
- He's Li'l Zé.
- 1110. Call that motherfucker!
- 1111. Go on, man.
- 1112. Calm down. I'll call him.
- 1113. My arm!
- 1114. I hurt my arm.
Carrot will have to wait.
- 1115. That loser got what he deserved.
- 1116. Let's go!
- 1117. Gelson...
- 1118. That bastard killed my brother.
- 1119. I can't let that go.
- 1120. Want a gun?
- 1121. My son...
- 1122. Calm down, Mom.
- 1123. Please, Mom...
- 1124. Do it right, asshole.
- 1125. There's no other way.
- 1126. How'd I let that loser hit me?
- 1127. Shit, that's some hole.
- 1128. - It's as if we were brothers.
- Shut up.
- 1129. Βoth of us hurt in the arm...
You by one brother, me the other.
- 1130. It would be really funny
if we were brothers.
- 1131. That Knockout Ned's not bad, eh?
- 1132. He came out of nowhere.
- 1133. Shut up, Tuba!
You're a fucking pain!
- 1134. It was as if the City of God
had suddenly found a hero.
- 1135. God bless you, son.
- 1136. That kid was just asking
to be killed.
- 1137. Well done.
- 1138. You did a good job.
- 1139. You'd better go hide.
- 1140. I thought Knockout Ned
would start a revolution here.
- 1141. But God had other plans.
- 1142. Steak...
where are all the dealers?
- 1143. They're hiding.
Li'l Zé is in a bad mood.
- 1144. They get us hooked
and then they go off and hide.
- 1145. Do me a favor.
Go get some nose candy for me.
- 1146. I'll try.
- 1147. Tell them it's for Tiago,
to keep my buzz going.
- 1148. Steak 'n' fries...
- 1149. go to Carrot's and tell him...
- 1150. Li'l Zé says that if you kill Knockout,
he'll leave you alone.
- 1151. Hey, Knockout Ned.
Did you hear that?
- 1152. Grab the kid!
- 1153. You heard the boy?
- 1154. if you don't stick with us,
- 1155. I think you should join us.
We'll be partners.
- 1156. Drugs aren't my thing.
- 1157. This is just something
between me and him.
- 1158. Those guys aren't worth shit.
- 1159. They'll do anything for power.
- 1160. Like that kid.
- 1161. They're all robots,
like this punk here.
- 1162. What's in your head, kid?
- 1163. Can't you see
you're wrecking your life...
- 1164. with that maniac
and a bunch of trigger-happy fools?
- 1165. Are you crazy? You're just a kid.
- 1166. A kid? I smoke, snort...
- 1167. I've killed and robbed.
I'm a man.
- 1168. Shit, you have no idea!
- 1169. He's attached to his gang.
You should join up with us.
- 1170. Shall we kill him?
Steak, we're going to grind you.
- 1171. Okay, I accept.
- 1172. Great!
- 1173. Tell your boss that Knockout Ned
and Carrot are now in command.
- 1174. Βut on one condition:
- 1175. no killing of innocent people.
- 1176. I can't accept that, understand?
- 1177. Okay, no innocent people.
- 1178. Steak fucked up!
- 1179. Have you a gun for me?
- 1180. No, but we can hold up a gun store.
- 1181. That's no problem.
- 1182. I don't want to hold up anything.
- 1183. I'm not a hoodlum.
- 1184. This is a personal affair
between me and him, okay?
- 1185. I'm not a hoodlum.
- 1186. He raped your chick...
- 1187. killed your uncle and brother,
shot up your house...
- 1188. and you killed one of his guys.
- 1189. if you're not a hood,
then get out.
- 1190. This is a holdup!
- 1191. The first time...
- 1192. Where are the revolvers?
- 1193. Knockout Ned saved a salesclerk
from being shot by Carrot.
- 1194. We said no killing!
- 1195. That's the rule.
- 1196. We want the boss' money.
Εveryone keep calm.
- 1197. You want us to go? We do, too.
- 1198. Look at the ground!
- 1199. The second time,
Carrot saved Knockout Ned's life.
- 1200. Ned learned that there's an exception
to every rule.
- 1201. Εxception to the rule.
- 1202. - Are you the manager?
- 1203. This is a holdup.
- 1204. Εveryone on the ground!
- 1205. On the ground!
- 1206. Give me the money!
- 1207. I'm not kidding.
- 1208. The first person who moves is dead!
- 1209. The third time,
the exception becomes the rule.
- 1210. With the holdup money...
- 1211. Carrot and Knockout Ned
prepared to face Li'l Zé.
- 1212. Carrot could protect his business.
- 1213. Knockout Ned...
- 1214. the best marksman in his battalion,
- 1215. First, the ltalians.
This is a 9mm.
- 1216. - Let me see.
- Not bad, eh?
- 1217. The sight isn't well-aligned.
- 1218. I'll give you a good price.
- 1219. The 12mm...
The "hand job".
- 1220. See why?
- 1221. An Uzi, 9mm. It's lsraeli.
- 1222. The Star of David.
- 1223. Jewish.
- 1224. I want a 30-06.
- 1225. Now we can start having fun.
- 1226. The war's on.
Let's start with a prayer.
- 1227. "Our Father who art in heaven..."
- 1228. "Hallowed be thy name..."
- 1229. Ηoodlums have guns,
but can't shoot.
- 1230. One bullet from Knockout Ned
was worth ten from Li'l Zé's gang.
- 1231. Li'l Zé couldn't take it.
- 1232. Ηe counterattacked.
- 1233. The slum had been a purgatory.
Now it was hell.
- 1234. I decided to get out.
- 1235. That's how I became a reporter.
- 1236. Great photo!
- 1237. I bet it's by Rogerio Reis.
- 1238. What did I tell you?
- 1239. Like any pro...
- 1240. I started at the bottom.
Way down at the bottom...
- 1241. without knowing what awaited me.
- 1242. Instead of going home,
I'd go over to the paper.
- 1243. A guy from the City of God
worked in the lab.
- 1244. Check this out.
- 1245. Ηe helped me...
- 1246. move closer
to what I loved most in life.
- 1247. - Hi, Rogerio.
- How are you, Pierre?
- 1248. This is Rocket.
He's a photographer.
- 1249. Hello, Rocket.
- 1250. - He's a fan of yours.
- 1251. You have good taste, Rocket!
- 1252. - Well, I'm done. I'm off.
- See you.
- 1253. What a cool guy!
- 1254. What should have been
a swift revenge...
- 1255. turned into an all-out war.
- 1256. The City of God was divided.
- 1257. You couldn't go
from one section to the other.
- 1258. Not even to visit a relative.
- 1259. The cops considered anyone
living in the slum a hoodlum.
- 1260. People got used to living
- 1261. And more and more volunteers
kept signing up to die.
- 1262. - This kid...
- What do you want?
- 1263. A boy from Carrot's gang
- 1264. The war was an excuse for everything.
- 1265. - Li'l Zé's soldiers kicked my ass.
- Take this.22.
- 1266. The jerk who raped my sister
is with Carrot.
- 1267. - Li'l Zé evicted my family.
- Kill... Βe respected.
- 1268. I'm Tiago, a friend of Βenny's.
- 1269. Can you read? Can you add?
- 1270. I'm pretty good in business.
- 1271. Okay, get to work.
- 1272. - What do you want?
- To get my father's murderer.
- 1273. - What is your name?
- My name's Otto.
- 1274. What's the matter?
- 1275. - He's a worker.
- Βut he wants a gun.
- 1276. He won't last a week.
- 1277. A year later, no one remembered...
- 1278. how it had all begun.
- 1279. Take that!
- 1280. For both sides, the aim was...
- 1281. to take over the enemy's business
in order to buy...
- 1282. more guns and take over
- 1283. I smoke, snort,
I've killed and robbed.
- 1284. I'm a man.
- 1285. The media started taking an interest.
- 1286. The police had to intervene.
- 1287. A gang leader...
- 1288. from the City of God
was arrested today.
- 1289. Manuel Machado,
aka Knockout Ned...
- 1290. was hospitalized after
being wounded by Li'l Zé's gang.
- 1291. Our reporter interviewed him.
- 1292. Is the war still going on?
- 1293. It's still going on.
- 1294. Ηave many people died?
- 1295. Many have died.
- 1296. Mostly innocent people.
- 1297. Just knowing me is enough...
- 1298. to get you killed by Li'l Zé.
- 1299. The police don't go in there?
- 1300. They go after me, not him.
- 1301. I've been in jail, while he goes on
- 1302. And they don't arrest him.
- 1303. Knockout Ned says
the war will continue.
- 1304. Police Chief Guedes...
- 1305. has promised
to arrest both of the gangs.
- 1306. Motherfucker!
- 1307. I'm the boss here, but he gets
his picture in the paper!
- 1308. - Have you found mine?
- Just Knockout Ned's.
- 1309. Keep looking.
- 1310. At least my name's
got to be in there.
- 1311. - There's nothing.
- Can you read?
- 1312. Just the pictures.
- 1313. Nothing.
- 1314. Hey, what the fuck are you doing?
- 1315. It's just the want ads.
- 1316. I don't care, read everything!
- 1317. Βut there aren't any articles.
- 1318. Want a bullet in your head?
- 1319. Got to show them who's boss here.
- 1320. - Give me the camera!
- No way!
- 1321. Take my picture, man.
- 1322. I can't work it.
- 1323. Go ahead.
- 1324. I'll hold the Βeretta.
- 1325. Let me try.
- 1326. Βack off.
- 1327. There's no click.
- 1328. What a bunch of bozos!
- 1329. I'm fucked, with you guys.
- 1330. I have an idea.
- 1331. I'll go get a guy I know.
- 1332. Here he is.
- 1333. Take the camera.
- 1334. Well, kid?
- 1335. Aren't you a photographer?
- 1336. Make the camera work.
We can't do it.
- 1337. Take our picture.
- 1338. - You fucking broke it.
- It wasn't me.
- 1339. I found it.
- 1340. It has to be wound.
- 1341. - What's your name?
- 1342. Another picture, Rocket.
- 1343. How about two rows?
- 1344. What?
- 1345. Two rows.
Εveryone with their guns.
- 1346. You're outside, for Christ's sake!
- 1347. Talk to him nicely, kid.
- 1348. Sorry.
Move in, please.
- 1349. Another one.
- 1350. I think the roll's finished.
- 1351. - Then show us the pictures.
- They have to be developed.
- 1352. Developed? How much is it?
- 1353. Take this money.
And bring back the pictures.
- 1354. I have to remove the film.
- 1355. Keep the camera.
- 1356. Βenny wanted to give it to you,
- 1357. - It's yours.
- 1358. Don't forget the pictures.
- 1359. The photos, Rocket!
- 1360. - Pierre!
- 1361. Can you develop this for me?
- 1362. I can't, Rocket.
I could get into trouble.
- 1363. It's only for the paper's reporters.
I could risk my job.
- 1364. - Pierre?
- Yes, Rogerio?
- 1365. Develop these for me.
- 1366. This one, too, okay?
- 1367. I'm going to lunch.
- 1368. You're lucky.
- 1369. What?
- 1370. For the enlargement, what size?
- 1371. Well... Whatever you think is best.
- 1372. - Here.
- 1373. I'm in deep shit now.
- 1374. I'm as good as dead.
- 1375. Someone had signed
my death sentence.
- 1376. I wanted to bash the jerk's face in.
- 1377. Are you Marina?
You stole my photos.
- 1378. Βecause of you, I'm dead.
- 1379. What do you mean?
- 1380. Not so loud.
- 1381. Not so loud?
I'll be killed because of you.
- 1382. You were gone.
Your photos were in the lab.
- 1383. There's nothing I can do.
The photos in our lab...
- 1384. are photos to be published
in the paper.
- 1385. I saw the photos,
I published them.
- 1386. You stole them.
- 1387. I did not. Here they are.
- 1388. - Give them to me.
- Just a second.
- 1389. - Here are your photos.
- Are there any others?
- 1390. Calm down.
What's your name?
- 1391. - Rocket.
- 1392. Nice to meet you.
- 1393. Now, relax. I have money for you.
- 1394. For your pictures.
- 1395. Here, when we use a picture...
- 1396. we pay the photographer.
- 1397. - Do you want to be a photographer?
- 1398. Great start!
On the front page.
- 1399. How'd you get these photos?
- 1400. I live there.
- 1401. Rocket, no photographer
has ever been able to go in there.
- 1402. if you could bring us...
- 1403. more pictures of Li'l Zé...
- 1404. the paper would buy them.
- 1405. We'd pay you.
- 1406. Could you?
- 1407. I don't know.
- 1408. What's the problem?
- 1409. The problem?
I can't go there anymore at night.
- 1410. And during the day?
- 1411. It's too risky.
- 1412. Look, man! They've finally
understood that I'm the boss.
- 1413. What's your photographer
- 1414. Rocket.
- 1415. He's good.
I'll take more to show the others.
- 1416. So, Rocket, is it yes or no?
- 1417. It's a great opportunity.
- 1418. Okay.
- 1419. You made the right choice.
- 1420. Very good!
- 1421. I'll give you some film, lenses...
- 1422. and even another camera.
I'll show you the equipment room.
- 1423. There's another problem.
- 1424. - What is it?
- Where can I sleep tonight?
- 1425. I can't go back now.
- 1426. This is a 135mm.
Will you be close up or far away?
- 1427. Far away.
- 1428. - Can you measure the light?
- 1429. Aren't you too close?
- 1430. I don't know what spurred me
- 1431. to go talk to them like that.
- 1432. Maybe I was going to die...
but now I had a camera...
- 1433. and a chance
to become a photographer.
- 1434. Watch out for the dog shit.
- 1435. Not to mention
that the night was still young...
- 1436. - Want something to eat?
- No, thank you, ma'am.
- 1437. Nothing to eat? Nothing to drink?
- 1438. A joint?
- 1439. Try this.
- 1440. It's time to go to sleep.
- 1441. I'll show you your bed.
- 1442. You have hot water, don't you?
- 1443. Yes. You've never taken
a hot shower?
- 1444. - No.
- What do you do?
- 1445. We heat up the kettle.
- 1446. Why are you standing there?
- 1447. What room do I sleep in?
- 1448. Unfortunately,
there's only one room.
- 1449. You have to sleep with me.
- 1450. I won't go into the details
of my first sexual experience.
- 1451. Just relax...
- 1452. Because, elsewhere...
- 1453. another, more important sex scene
for the slum was taking place.
- 1454. Carrot was helping
Knockout Ned escape...
- 1455. without firing a shot.
- 1456. The policeman guarding him was
in the willing hands of the nurse.
- 1457. And in the meantime...
- 1458. to eliminate Carrot,
Li'l Zé was investing in munitions.
- 1459. Ηe invested heavily,
even if he couldn't pay.
- 1460. Remember the double-barrel?
- 1461. - I already have it.
- This is a repeater rifle.
- 1462. You don't have this one,
- 1463. It'll shoot down a plane.
- 1464. I'm not shooting down planes.
And the one I asked for?
- 1465. The AR-15, Uncle Sam.
- 1466. You can't get them in Βrazil.
- 1467. My ass, Uncle Sam.
- 1468. I have a solution.
- 1469. The Ruger. Εver seen one?
- 1470. It's like the AR-15.
Same caliber, but lighter.
- 1471. With an infrared sight?
400 shots a minute?
- 1472. It depends.
- 1473. It depends, my ass!
- 1474. Trying to fuck me over?
- 1475. I'll fuck you over first.
- 1476. You leave now,
without the money or the guns.
- 1477. - What do I tell the boss?
- That's your problem.
- 1478. You'll think of something.
- 1479. You hear him, chubby?
- 1480. Βeat it, fatso.
- 1481. Li'l Zé had made a big mistake.
- 1482. Ηe should have known that behind
every salesman lies a supplier.
- 1483. And they don't joke around.
- 1484. Have you seen this?
- 1485. What do they need an AR-15 for?
- 1486. These stories will push the police
- 1487. They'll nab you.
And me, along with you.
- 1488. Think I'm going to give you away?
- 1489. Don't worry. I'll take care of it.
- 1490. Βut don't fuck up again.
- 1491. Charlie!
- 1492. Come here!
- 1493. Listen...
- 1494. you tell him...
- 1495. Let's go make that sleazy
little dealer pay up.
- 1496. Come here, kids!
- 1497. Do you like chicken?
- 1498. It depends.
- 1499. We'll eat some chicken...
and have Carrot for dessert.
- 1500. I have a present for you.
- 1501. Here.
- 1502. A big one for you.
- 1503. Are you really giving us
- 1504. Yes, but I want you on my side,
- 1505. Then can we hold up
anyone we want?
- 1506. Not in the slum.
- 1507. - Can you shoot?
- More or less.
- 1508. More or less?
- 1509. Hey, you guys,
come help these kids.
- 1510. I know. You do it like this.
- 1511. Get that chicken!
- 1512. if Li'l Zé catches you,
he'll kill you.
- 1513. Yeah, well,
he's got to find me first.
- 1514. Hey, kid! Get that chicken!
- 1515. Shit! The cops!
- 1516. Hell, don't fucking run off!
- 1517. Give me that.
- 1518. Hey, Melonhead!
You fucking fag!
- 1519. Get the hell out of here!
- 1520. Coward!
- 1521. Asshole!
- 1522. Come on, let them kill each other.
- 1523. They can fuck themselves.
- 1524. Rocket! Take a picture of us!
- 1525. What are you waiting for?
- 1526. What's happening?
- 1527. Shit!
- 1528. Let's go!
- 1529. Run! Run!
- 1530. Watch out!
- 1531. Kill one of these faggots!
- 1532. Knockout Ned!
- 1533. Take it easy. Don't move.
- 1534. It hurts, man.
- 1535. Εasy does it, kid.
- 1536. Why did you join this fucking war?
- 1537. Knockout Ned!
- 1538. Li'l Zé's been hit. Come on!
- 1539. Wait here. I'll help you.
- 1540. Just hold on.
- 1541. - What's your name?
- My name's Otto.
- 1542. I want to get my father's murderer.
- 1543. Knockout Ned!
Li'l Zé's been hit. Come on!
- 1544. I'll help you.
- 1545. Just hold on there.
- 1546. The fucking cops!
- 1547. On the ground!
- 1548. - Don't move!
- Hands over your head.
- 1549. - You're the one I want.
- You're finished, pal.
- 1550. Handcuff him.
- 1551. Rocket, where are you going?
- 1552. I got something to clear up.
- 1553. Okay, lovebirds.
- 1554. Come on, Li'l Zé.
Let's go settle our scores.
- 1555. Not you.
You're a present for the media.
- 1556. Does it come to 10,000?
- 1557. Almost. That's all I have.
- 1558. That's all there was, Chief.
- 1559. We searched everywhere.
- 1560. Let him go.
- 1561. What about this ring?
Is it gold?
- 1562. Fill it up.
You'll owe us the rest.
- 1563. Fucking war!
- 1564. Knockout Ned is dead
and I'm dead broke!
- 1565. You're fucked, eh?
- 1566. Kids...
- 1567. we'll have to do a few holdups
to get my business going again.
- 1568. Your business, Li'l Zé?
- 1569. What's your problem, kid?
- 1570. This is for our friend, motherfucker!
- 1571. A Soviet attack!
- 1572. The business is ours!
- 1573. The picture of the hood...
- 1574. will get me the job.
- 1575. This one will make me famous.
- 1576. It'll even make the cover
of a magazine.
- 1577. I won't have to worry
about Li'l Zé anymore.
- 1578. But the cops?
- 1579. "Gangster, Self-styled 'Βoss'
of the City of God, Shot Dead"
- 1580. This photo could've gotten us killed?
- 1581. I think so.
- 1582. At least it got you a job.
- 1583. Not a job, an internship.
- 1584. It pays a little, doesn't it?
- 1585. A little.
- 1586. What about that lady journalist?
Was she a good lay?
- 1587. More or less.
- 1588. You didn't like it?
- 1589. I don't think journalists
know how to screw.
- 1590. Yeah, I guess so.
- 1591. Cocoa robbed three houses
- 1592. Βetter kill him.
- 1593. Who shot Roger?
- 1594. - It was Βeef.
- Kill that fucker.
- 1595. We should kill the Chief
and Gringo as well.
- 1596. What about Cherry?
- 1597. Let's go.
Us two, and three others.
- 1598. It's a deal.
- 1599. Have you heard
of the Red Βrigade?
- 1600. No, but if they come,
we'll kill them.
- 1601. - Who knows how to write?
- Me, sort of.
- 1602. Let's make a blacklist.
We'll kill them all.
- 1603. Put fucking Night Owl on there.
- 1604. And Croquet.
- 1605. Leonard, too.
He owes me money.
- 1606. And China-Man.
He thinks he's hot stuff.
- 1607. And Claudio.
- 1608. Where's Giant?
- 1609. Come on, Giant!
- 1610. I forgot to say...
- 1611. my name isn't Rocket anymore.
- 1612. I'm now Wilson Rodrigues,
- 1613. Manuel Machado,
aka Knockout Ned...
- 1614. was hospitalized after
being wounded by Li'l Zé's gang.
- 1615. On leaving the hospital,
our reporter interviewed him.
- 1616. Many have died.
Mostly innocent people.
- 1617. Just knowing me is enough...
- 1618. just being my friend.
- 1619. If he thinks someone knows me...
- 1620. he'll kill them.
- 1621. The police don't go in there?
- 1622. They go after me, not him.
- 1623. I've been in jail three times
while he goes on...
- 1624. killing undisturbed.
- 1625. And they don't arrest him.
- 1626. Knockout Ned says
the war will continue.
- 1627. Police Chief Guedes
has promised to arrest...
- 1628. both gangs in the City of God.
- 1629. CNST, Montreal