- 1. Fuck, the chicken's got away!
Go after that chicken, man!
- 2. Go on, for fuck's sake!
- 3. Get that chicken!
- 4. If it's a good photo,
I'll get a job at the paper.
- 5. - You think so, Rocket?
- Gotta take the risk.
- 6. You'd risk your life
for a picture? Forget it!
- 7. You think I want to meet up
with that motherfucking hood?
- 8. Get that chicken, bro!
- 9. Motherfucker! I told you
to grab that chicken!
- 10. Outta my way!
- 11. Get that chicken!
- 12. If Li'l Z' catches you,
he'll kill you.
- 13. Yeah, well,
he's gotta find me first.
- 14. Hey, kid! Get that chicken!
Get that chicken!
- 15. Shit! The cops!
- 16. Don't fucking run off!
- 17. Give me that.
- 18. Hey, Melonhead! You fucking fag!
- 19. A picture could change
my life, but...
- 20. in the City of God, if you
run away, they get you...
- 21. and if you stay, they get you too.
- They're coming for us!
- 22. It's been that way
ever since I was a kid...
- 23. You're useless, man!
- 24. - Go get the ball!
- Fucking useless!
- 25. Hey, kid!
- 26. Give me the ball, I wanna play.
- 27. - It's not yours.
- You wanna mess with me?
- 28. Fuck off.
- 29. - What's your name?
- Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself.
- 30. - My name's Rocket.
- Some advice, Rocket...
- 31. Don't let Li'l Dice
touch that ball. He sucks.
- 32. - You lose, pal.
- Go, Shaggy!
- 33. That's Shaggy.
- 34. To tell the story of the City of God,
I have to start with him.
- 35. 8, 9, 10, 11...
- 36. But in order to tell Shaggy's story, I
must tell the story of the Tender Trio.
- 37. Well, Shaggy? The gas truck's coming.
What are you fucking around for?
- 38. You're not gonna chicken out...
- 39. The notorious Tender Trio
was legendary in the City of God.
- 40. Shaggy...
- 41. Clipper...
- 42. and Goose.
- 43. Tagging along were always
Li'l Dice and Benny...
- 44. Shaggy's brother.
- 45. I never had the courage
to follow my brother, Goose.
- 46. Okay, let's go.
- 47. Come on, Goose.
- 48. Let's go!
- 49. Stop! Stop!
Stop this fucker!
- 50. Stop or I'll shoot, motherfucker!
- 51. Get out!
- 52. Hurry up, asshole!
Gimme the money!
- 53. Who wants gas?
- 54. More! You wanna die for your
boss' damn money?
- 55. Shitloads of money here!
- 56. You see, asshole?
- 57. Asshole!
- 58. Fuck! The cops!
- 59. Let's get outta here!
- 60. Clear out! The place is
crawling with cops!
- 61. - Shaggy!
- The ball, Goose, it's yours!
- 62. Back then, I thought
the guys in the Tender Trio...
- 63. were the most dangerous hoods
- 64. Here! Buy some new balls.
- 65. But they were just amateurs.
- 66. - Even my brother, Goose.
- Rocket, give this money to dad.
- 67. But don't tell him it's from me.
- 68. Okay?
- 69. - Hey, Stringy!
- 70. Look how much I've got.
- 71. We came to the City of God
hoping to find paradise.
- 72. Many families were homeless
due to flooding...
- 73. and acts of arson
in the ghettos.
- 74. - A light post!
- We'll have electricity!
- 75. The bigwigs in government
didn't joke around.
- 76. Homeless? Off to City of God!
- 77. There was no electricity,
paved streets or transportation.
- 78. But for the rich and powerful
our problems didn't matter.
- 79. We were too far removed...
- 80. from the picture postcard image
of Rio de Janeiro.
- 81. Do you think I can become
a lifeguard one day?
- 82. I don't know.
- 83. Being a lifeguard is better
than a fishmonger.
- 84. I don't want to sell fish.
- 85. - Are you insulting your father?
- 86. So what do you want to be?
- 87. I don't know.
- 88. - Not a hood or a policeman.
- Why not?
- 89. I'm scared of getting shot.
- 90. Put that thing away, kid.
Are you nuts?
- 91. Pointing that gun at me?
- 92. Take it easy with the kid, Goose.
Li'l Dice is with me.
- 93. Right, I'm a gangster too.
- 94. - That gas truck didn't bring much.
- So what?
- 95. - We rob gas trucks every day.
- One today, another tomorrow.
- 96. No, we need to rob
some rich guy's house.
- 97. That's the only
way to get outta here.
- 98. Hell, no. What you need
is to follow my plan.
- 99. That's it.
- 100. The little fart's getting
too big for his britches!
- 101. He gets high and starts
- 102. You two junkies aren't worth
half as much as that kid.
- 103. What you got in mind, Li'l Dice?
- 104. To be a real hood you need
more than just a gun. You need ideas.
- 105. And Li'l Dice had them.
- 106. - Is that the motel?
- 107. We go in, grab the money and
get out. No killing, got that?
- 108. - I need this.
- Don't touch my gun, kid.
- 109. Don't ever do that again.
- 110. - Don't point at me.
- Fuck you.
- 111. - Don't point your finger at me!
- Stop acting like a baby!
- 112. Here's yours.
- 113. - Awesome!
- Let's go!
- 114. - Not so fast!
- 115. You stay here and keep watch.
- 116. If the cops come, shoot that
window over there.
- 117. - Why me? Let that dork do that.
- 118. I gave you this great plan, for free...
While that guy's absolutely useless!
- 119. - You just had the idea.
- 120. You're just a kid, remember?
- 121. You cover us, okay?
- 122. You'll get your turn, so cool it.
Stop trying to rush things.
- 123. You stay there.
- 124. This is a hold-up, bitch.
- 125. You should be studying or working.
You don't even look like hoodlums.
- 126. Instead, you ought to be
working or studying, boy.
- 127. Shut up!
What a pain in the ass!
- 128. Okay, Clipper?
- 129. Shall we go in?
- 130. I didn't order anything.
- 131. It's on the house, sir.
Hand over the money!
- 132. Keep calm, all I want
is your cash.
- 133. - Don't point that...
- Your wallet...
- 134. Hey, man...
- 135. What kind of whorehouse is this?
- 136. - You from the church?
- Yes, brother.
- 137. Give it to me!
- 138. Slut!
- 139. You're old, fat and flabby!
- 140. Wanna take her place?
- 141. What's going on?
- 142. - The cops! Let's beat it!
- Let's go!
- 143. Take that car.
I'll go get Li'l Dice.
- 144. Jesus, what a car!
- 145. - Something fucked up. Li'l Dice's gone.
- The cops are shooting, let's go!
- 146. Slow down! Hold on...
- 147. - You said you knew how to drive.
- I do, so cool it!
- 148. Turn! Watch out!
- 149. You fucking asshole!
- 150. Hey, I didn't do it on purpose.
- 151. No one saw anything.
So keep your mouths shut, understand?
- 152. Hold on, I twisted my ankle.
- 153. Goose fucked up his ankle.
- 154. It fucking hurts.
- 155. Take him into the woods.
I'll shoot to distract the cops.
- 156. - In God we trust.
- In God we trust.
- 157. Pass me the telephone, Penguin.
- 158. Shorty is another notorious guy
in the City of God.
- 159. But it's not yet time
to tell his story.
- 160. - It fucking hurts, Goose.
- Shut up.
- 161. - Wait up...
- You sound like a damn sissy, man.
- 162. - Give me your hand! Climb up!
- No one saw anything?
- 163. How odd! A car crashes
into a bar and no one saw a thing.
- 164. I suppose you didn't see
- 165. As usual, no one saw,
no one knows.
- 166. So what's up, Shorty?
- 167. They're hiding in the woods.
- 168. - Hello, Melonhead.
- How are you doing?
- 169. I have this feeling that
they're out in the woods.
- 170. - The motherfuckers.
- They're out in the woods.
- 171. Felipe, lock up the car.
Rangel, come with me.
- 172. I can't see a thing.
How the hell can they see?
- 173. Fucking jungle.
- 174. - They stole a fortune at that motel.
- I know.
- 175. What if we took the money?
- 176. Are you crazy?
I'm not getting mixed up in that.
- 177. I want to exterminate these guys.
- 178. What? Since when is stealing from
niggers and thieves a crime?
- 179. It won't be hard to nab them.
I have a stoolie in the City.
- 180. - Did you hear those shots?
- If I catch one of them, I'll kill him.
- 181. Maracana!
- 182. Open the door.
- 183. - What's the matter?
- The cops are after me.
- 184. Shaggy!
- 185. - Shaggy!
- The cops are on my ass!
- 186. - Hide me!
- Quick, come in.
- 187. Shit... I thought the cops
would be down there all night.
- 188. I had a vision, Goose.
- 189. You been smoking something?
- 190. - You've had a job, right?
- 191. What's it like?
What do people say?
- 192. I worked with my father.
- 193. And fathers talk a lot of shit.
- 194. You know what, Goose?
I'm getting out, I don't want to die.
- 195. - This gangster's life isn't for me.
- Wait! The cops are still down there.
- 196. I don't give a shit.
- 197. I'm going back to the church.
- 198. He that dwells in the secret
place of the most High...
- 199. shall abide under the shadow of
the Almighty. I will say of the Lord...
- 200. He is my refuge and my fortress,
in Him will I trust.
- 201. Fear not the terror by night,
nor the arrow that flies by day...
- 202. nor the pestilence that walks
in darkness, nor the destruction...
- 203. - Stop, motherfucker!
- Don't move!
- 204. Stop, or I'll shoot!
- 205. shall abide under the shadow
of the Almighty.
- 206. The hold-up at the motel went down
as the bloodiest in history.
- 207. The destinies of the outlaws
then took different paths.
- 208. I don't think this guy
was involved in the heist.
- 209. See here?
- 210. - He's a worker, not a hoodlum.
- I'll make him one now.
- 211. Destiny put Clipper
back into the hands of God.
- 212. Shaggy was in Bernice's hands.
- 213. And Goose was
in my father's hands.
- 214. Why do you do these things?
You think I'm a fool?
- 215. From now on,
you'll work with me.
- 216. Your younger brother
will keep an eye on you.
- 217. You listen to me.
- 218. If I catch you with money that
isn't yours, I'll kill you.
- 219. That goes for you too. Get changed!
You start work immediately.
- 220. Having a hood as a brother sucks.
You always end up footing the bill.
- 221. Don't worry.
Dad's mad at me...
- 222. but he'll get over it.
- 223. Give me that, Rocket. It's not
for you. You have to study.
- 224. - Getting shot doesn't scare you?
- I'm a hood because I got no brain.
- 225. But you're smart.
You should study.
- 226. I go to school because
I don't like physical work.
- 227. Promise me something... That you'll
never touch this gun. Promise?
- 228. Let's shake.
- 229. We'd better hurry.
- 230. I'm gonna sell a lot of fish.
And don't laugh.
- 231. You grinned when I got slapped.
- 232. - Who, me?
- I saw you.
- 233. What is it, Shaggy?
Cat got your tongue?
- 234. Your fidgeting behind me
makes me nervous.
- 235. - I'm thinking of what to say to you.
- You're thinking, as well?
- 236. Don't. It'll be your downfall.
- 237. My heart has chosen you.
And I follow my heart.
- 238. Are you pulling my leg?
- 239. You never heard of
love at first sight?
- 240. - Hoods don't love, they desire.
- You cut down everything I say.
- 241. Hoods don't talk,
- 242. Well, I'll stop wasting
my breath on you.
- 243. Hoods don't stop,
they take a break.
- 244. Talking to you about love
sure is complicated.
- 245. It's not love,
it's a con game.
- 246. It's just that I love you.
- 247. You just might end up
- 248. After the hold-up, there were
constant police raids in the ghetto.
- 249. Every day, someone went to jail,
someone was nailed.
- 250. But no one had seen anything.
No one knew anything.
- 251. No one blabbed to the cops about
where the thieves were hiding out.
- 252. 3 MONTHS LATER
- 253. Shaggy...
- 254. Why don't you change your life?
- 255. Get a job instead of
lying around in bed all day.
- 256. - Good-for-nothing!
- What do you mean?
- 257. You think you can make money
working? Go ahead.
- 258. That's right, Shaggy...
what do you think I do all day?
- 259. Take it easy, baby... you know all
I want is to be with you, have kids...
- 260. and a farm, raise chickens,
grow pot and get high.
- 261. Sure! For me, that's
nothing but smooth-talk.
- 262. What? I almost got
rich with that motel job.
- 263. Are you kidding?
- 264. The cops are still looking for you
because of the deaths in the motel.
- 265. What deaths?
What are you talking about?
- 266. Did you see anything?
You don't know shit, so shut up.
- 267. You weren't there.
I didn't kill anyone.
- 268. I bet it's those fucking policemen,
and I'm the one taking the rap.
- 269. They even nabbed Li'l Dice.
So don't bring it up again!
- 270. - I don't care who did it.
- It wasn't me.
- 271. Let me just say... I don't want my
kid's father to be a hoodlum.
- 272. You're all alone, Shaggy.
- 273. - All alone?
- That's right!
- 274. - Clipper's gone religious.
- 275. - Goose is working.
- 276. - And you?
- I haven't changed. So what?
- 277. They've deserted me,
- 278. Then I'm deserting you too.
- 279. I'm splitting, Shaggy.
Come with me, if you want.
- 280. Otherwise, I'll go alone.
- 281. Fish for sale!
- 282. My brother had promised
to stop messing around.
- 283. But a hood doesn't stop,
a hood takes a break.
- 284. Goose began messing around
with Shorty's wife.
- 285. I have trout. But for special
customers like you...
- 286. I also have a kisser fish.
- 287. Hey, that's a mullet!
- 288. Doesn't your husband...
- 289. go down on you?
- 290. No.
- 291. Mine, before entering me,
has to use his tongue.
- 292. For about half an hour.
And from behind? Do you let him?
- 293. - Good God, no. Doesn't it hurt?
- The first few times.
- 294. Then you'll see, it's fantastic.
But you need a banana.
- 295. What for?
- 296. You're missing the good things
in life, girl!
- 297. You take a banana, warm it up...
- 298. Put it up your thing, while he
takes you from behind.
- 299. It's a real rush!
Ask your husband.
- 300. I couldn't. You don't know him.
He's liable to beat me.
- 301. Try him. Men go wild
for smut like that.
- 302. Motherfucking nigger!
- 303. Slut!
- 304. Whoring bitch!
- 305. Rocket, give me your shorts.
- 306. - Take them off, dammit!
- I'm not going naked in the street.
- 307. You want your brother to die?
Give me your shorts. Now!
- 308. Give me your shirt.
- 309. Your shorts! Hurry up!
- 310. I knew it. It's always me
who forks up for that bum.
- 311. The bastard ran off.
That's his brother.
- 312. - That brat there?
- I'll castrate that fucker.
- 313. Fish! Fish for sale!
- 314. Hey, kid, come over here.
- 315. - Where's your brother?
- He's not working today.
- 316. - Oh yeah? Get in.
- I didn't do anything.
- 317. - Get in!
- What about my fish?
- 318. - Hurry it up, kid!
- I don't want to lose my fish!
- 319. - Forget your fish.
- Sit your ass down.
- 320. - My father will kill me.
- That doesn't matter.
- 321. Let's go.
There's nothing here.
- 322. That day, my father swore he never
wanted to see my brother again.
- 323. Let's go, Felipe.
- 324. And he never did. No one ever
saw him in the ghetto again.
- 325. The story of the Tender Trio
was coming to an end.
- 326. Li'l Dice? Shit, man. I thought you
were a goner at the motel.
- 327. - You're fucking loaded!
- Don't, Benny. That's our money.
- 328. Fuck you. Cut the crap
and give me the money.
- 329. Benny... Tell your brother Shaggy
that Shorty is squealing.
- 330. - I'm leaving the ghetto.
- But Shorty had his hands full...
- 331. Let's go see, Stringy.
- 332. A neighbor called the police
- 333. The tabloids went to town:
- 334. "Man Buries Wife Alive
in the City of God"
- 335. Along with reporters, the place
was swarming with cops.
- 336. The hoodlums took off.
- 337. - You wanna die?
- It's you who's gonna die...
- 338. if you don't do what I say.
And show the lady more respect.
- 339. Let's go, dammit!
- 340. - There are cops ahead.
- Fuck them, let's go.
- 341. - Where to?
- Anywhere, just go.
- 342. - What's the matter?
- Have mercy!
- 343. - This car's a piece of junk.
- My ass! Start the damn thing!
- 344. It needs a push.
- 345. Push, Shaggy!
- 346. Push!
- 347. You?
- 348. You want to arrest the thieves?
- 349. Nab that guy over there!
- 350. Run, Shaggy!
- 351. Stop the car!
- 352. - This way! He's over here.
- We got that sonofabitch!
- 353. - The bastard!
- He's a murderer.
- 354. On the day Shaggy died
I remember the crowds...
- 355. and a camera.
- 356. I'd always wanted to have one.
- 357. Let's go to school.
- 358. - Well?
- Let's go to the beach.
- 359. But we have an exam.
- 360. So what?
- 361. Everyone else is at the beach.
- 362. Come on, let's go!
- 363. She's in a bikini,
but doesn't want to go.
- 364. What's that saying you have?
- 365. The sun is for everyone. The beach,
for those who deserve it.
- 366. - Over here!
- I bought my first camera...
- 367. when I was 16. Like all poor people,
I started at the bottom...
- 368. with the world's cheapest model.
- 369. So, Rocket?
How are things going?
- 370. Any luck getting laid yet?
- 371. Zilch.
- 372. - Angelica. I was crazy about her.
- So, Rocket, still clicking away?
- 373. She was gorgeous and the only
girl in our gang who screwed.
- 374. I wanted to lose
my virginity with her.
- 375. With her, buddy?
She's got a guy.
- 376. - So? I'm not jealous.
- Her father's a sergeant.
- 377. No one's perfect.
- 378. I was the official
photographer of our gang.
- 379. The gang of groovies. Everyone
paid to have copies of the pictures.
- 380. Thiago, move back a little.
- 381. - Is this okay?
- 382. I need a joint.
- 383. Instead of smoking, man,
you should snort coke. It's far out.
- 384. You snort, Thiago?
I prefer a good toke.
- 385. If you like,
I can get it for you.
- 386. You can? Then go on,
move your ass!
- 387. But the choice stuff is coke.
That's a real nercotic.
- 388. Narcotic!
- 389. - Your mouth is all salty, Thiago.
- Screw you.
- 390. You want to be
a lifeguard, Stringy?
- 391. - You're never in the water.
- My dad's a lifeguard.
- 392. - I'll bet you a beer I swim better.
- You're on.
- 393. If you like, I can go get you
a joint at Blacky's.
- 394. I'd have done anything
to please her...
- 395. Buy her pot, coke...
- 396. I could go to the top dogs to buy
quality stuff at a good price...
- 397. because the local boss
was a former classmate: Blacky.
- 398. - Who is it?
- 399. - How are things down there?
- 400. - And the kids?
- Fine too.
- 401. - You want to buy or smoke a joint?
- 402. Come in, buddy.
- 403. Who is it?
- 404. This was Blacky's turf.
- 405. But it hadn't always been his.
- 406. - Hey, Blacky.
- Fuck, Li'l Dice.
- 407. - You show up like this at my place?
- Who said it was your place?
- 408. Dona Zelia began selling drugs here...
- 409. when her husband died,
in order to raise her daughters.
- 410. She also gave away drugs to boys at
times in return for special favors.
- 411. Her favorite was "Big Boy".
One day, he grew very big!
- 412. Zelia's operation was so amateur that
he had no trouble seizing it from her.
- 413. Big Boy used the neighborhood
kids as dealers.
- 414. - What about my pot?
- Stick it up your ass.
- 415. The best dealer...
- 416. was Carrot.
- 417. - Can I have a sip?
- 418. He earned Big Boy's trust...
- 419. was promoted, and moved up to
become a manager.
- 420. Blacky, 20 for us and
5 for you, okay?
- 421. One day a buddy of Carrot's
- 422. - His name was Aristotle.
- My wife needs an operation.
- 423. His family had taken Carrot in
when he was down and out.
- 424. He couldn't refuse to help
a brother in need.
- 425. Here's the dope. I want
the dough no later than Friday.
- 426. - You've bailed me out, brother.
- 427. He's my buddy, practically
my brother, Big Boy.
- 428. Give him another week.
- 429. - Either you kill him, or I'll kill you.
- Carrot had no choice.
- 430. - I said Friday.
- Don't do it, man.
- 431. Carrot wanted to kill Big Boy,
but it wasn't necessary.
- 432. Big Boy hadn't paid off the cops.
He died in jail.
- 433. Carrot took everything
that belonged to Big Boy...
- 434. but didn't want the apartment...
- 435. the place was ill-fated. Carrot gave it
to his most trusted dealer...
- 436. - Here. 150 bags.
- 437. Give me more. This place
is crawling with druggies.
- 438. That's how he took over
the local trade.
- 439. But not for long...
- 440. Who is it?
- 441. Go see.
- 442. - Hey, Blacky.
- Fuck, Li'l Dice.
- 443. - You show up like this at my place?
- Who said it was your place?
- 444. Yeah, who?
- 445. - Something wrong, Li'l Dice?
- Li'l Dice, my ass.
- 446. My name is Li'l Z' now.
- 447. THE STORY OF Ll'L Z'
- 448. Li'l Z' had always wanted
to be boss of the City of God...
- 449. ever since he was little
and was called "Li'l Dice".
- 450. They're having fun,
and not me?
- 451. I want to get out of here.
- 452. What, kid? Your friend took
everything. What do you want?
- 453. That night, Li'I Dice
satisfied his thirst to kill...
- 454. though he knew Shaggy would
never forgive him.
- 455. To avoid being punished
he left the City of God.
- 456. He had to work hard for peanuts.
- 457. - Yeah, Benny!
- Li'l Dice and Benny managed well.
- 458. They had the gift of crime.
- 459. - You have more money than me.
- It was my idea.
- 460. The only problem was running into
an older hoodlum...
- 461. like my brother, Goose.
- Li'l Dice?
- 462. Shit, man. I thought
you were a goner at the motel.
- 463. You're fucking loaded!
- 464. Don't, Benny. That's our money.
- 465. Benny, tell your brother Shaggy...
- 466. that Shorty is squealing.
I'm leaving the ghetto.
- 467. Goose!
- 468. From Shaggy. You'll need it.
- 469. From one hit to the next,
Li'l Dice grew up.
- 470. At 18, he was the most
respected hood in the City of God.
- 471. You're of age now, watch out!
- 472. He was one of the most
wanted robbers in Rio.
- 473. Li'l Dice, how's it going?
- 474. Happy birthday.
I'm so glad you've turned 18...
- 475. - Get lost, Tuba!
- Excuse me, amigo...
- 476. Give me a beer!
- 477. Didn't you see me, prick?
- 478. - Sorry, man.
- Up yours!
- 479. The next time,
I'll waste you, asshole!
- 480. Fag!
- 481. Li'I Dice was ready for anything.
- 482. I wanna talk.
- 483. - And he was itching to start.
- Who are the fattest cats here?
- 484. - There are tons of them.
- Look at Jerry Adriani...
- 485. gold chain, snazzy clothes.
- 486. Look at Pereira
and the chick he's with...
- 487. - Bernice. She was my brother's girl.
- Check out his car.
- 488. Then there's Blacky.
Covered in gold.
- 489. Gold chain, gold watch...
- 490. Look at Carrot, and his car.
- 491. - They're all dealers.
- They're all fucking loaded.
- 492. Hold-ups bring in chickenshit.
- 493. - The big bucks are in drugs.
- I see.
- 494. Especially in selling coke.
- 495. - But you need money.
- Not really...
- 496. We'll kill these clowns
and take over their business.
- 497. - When do we start?
- 498. Exu-the-Devil is the light
that shines forth.
- 499. He brought you here.
- 500. Why remain in the City of God
where God has forgotten you?
- 501. I know what you want.
You want power.
- 502. I have something which will
give it to you.
- 503. To change your fate,
I give you my protector, boy.
- 504. But you mustn't fornicate
with the amulet...
- 505. otherwise...
- 506. you'll die.
- 507. The boy is no longer called
- 508. but Li'l Z'.
- 509. Li'l Z' will grow up.
- 510. You stick with me,
I'll stick with you.
- 511. Li'l Dice became Li'I Z'
and he began to kill.
- 512. He started one morning,
taking over Jerry Adriani's racket.
- 513. By that night, almost all
of the rackets in the ghetto were his.
- 514. The only business he didn't
touch was Carrot's...
- 515. since he was a friend of Benny's.
All that was left was the apartment...
- 516. But that would be easy.
- 517. Who is it?
- 518. - Hey, Blacky.
- Fuck, Li'l Dice.
- 519. - You show up like this at my place?
- Who said it was your place?
- 520. - Something wrong, Li'l Dice?
- Li'l Dice, my ass.
- 521. - My name is Li'l Z' now.
- His name's Li'l Z', see?
- 522. - You're a goner, bastard.
- Don't kill him. He understands.
- 523. Right, Blacky?
- 524. It's all yours, I don't want anything.
I don't want no trouble, okay?
- 525. I should have taken this chance
to avenge my brother's death.
- 526. You'll live, but you'll
work for us. Understand?
- 527. That's easy to say...
- 528. - Where are you going?
- He's clean, Li'l Z'.
- 529. What's your name, kid?
- 530. - Rocket.
- He's Goose's brother.
- 531. - Goose?
- The late Goose.
- 532. Quick, kid. Run along.
- 533. Tell everyone that this business
now belongs to Li'l Z'.
- 534. And that we'll be selling coke.
- 535. Cocaine.
- 536. - Where's the turf?
- Over there, on the left.
- 537. Selling drugs is like any
- 538. The supplier
delivers the merchandise...
- 539. which is then
packaged on the premises.
- 540. It's done in an assembly line.
- 541. Boring as hell...
- 542. Pot is wrapped up in "lids".
- 543. Cocaine is put into packets...
- 544. and then into bundles
of 10 or 100.
- 545. You can even make a career
in dealing drugs.
- 546. The kids start out
as delivery boys.
- 547. They're paid to run errands
and take messages.
- 548. Then they become lookouts.
If the police arrive...
- 549. the kites disappear
and everyone scrams.
- 550. Later, you become a dealer
or a "vapor".
- 551. When the heat's on, the
"vapor" quickly evaporates.
- 552. Moving up the ladder,
you have the "soldier".
- 553. And if the guy is good at math,
he can become a manager...
- 554. the boss' right-hand man.
- 555. The police receive their part
and don't make trouble.
- 556. Since Li'l Z' killed off
all of his enemies...
- 557. there were no shoot-outs in the
City of God. You could drive there...
- 558. The playboys felt safe
buying their drugs there.
- 559. The City teemed with addicts
and Li'l Z' grew rich.
- 560. - Is it okay?
- It's a deal.
- 561. - I can't decide which to wear.
- This one's cool.
- 562. If dealing were legal, Li'l Z'
would have been man of the year.
- 563. But things were risky for me.
I was afraid of him.
- 564. - And he was everywhere.
- What a drag this guy is.
- 565. Whenever I wanted to smoke a joint
I had to go see Carrot.
- 566. Half a lid. Thanks.
- 567. But it was worth it.
I only smoked with Angelica.
- 568. She and Thiago had split up,
so I made my move.
- 569. - I was about to win her over...
- These pictures are really great.
- 570. - You think so?
- I look good here.
- 571. - You look beautiful everywhere.
- I'm serious.
- 572. Me too.
- 573. A setting sun,
a deserted beach... a long kiss...
- 574. I was sure this was it...
- 575. But the Runts arrived.
- 576. Can I have a toke?
- 577. Here.
- 578. I'm going. See you later.
- 579. Hold on, Angelica.
- 580. - Your joint, man.
- Keep it.
- 581. What a cool guy.
- 582. That was my first run
in with the Runts.
- 583. - Steak and fries, Benny.
- Great! Here...
- 584. - A tip for you.
- Really? Thanks.
- 585. - Wanna eat something?
- 586. - Wanna trade this watch?
- After Angelica left him...
- 587. Thiago began snorting
more and more.
- 588. - Is it your grandfather's?
- No, my dad's.
- 589. When a guy is really hooked
he ends up in the hands of the dealer.
- 590. - Two bags of ten.
- One of ten.
- 591. - Okay, one bag.
- For Thiago, it was different.
- 592. - Watch out!
- Sorry, godfather.
- 593. Godfather, my ass.
Did I baptize your kids?
- 594. - I'm sorry.
- Now beat it.
- 595. Blacky, lend me your bike.
- 596. Hey, wanna race?
- 597. - Where to?
- Up to the highway.
- 598. - Okay.
- Ready? Go!
- 599. - Pretty tough, wasn't it?
- Yeah, you're good.
- 600. Where'd you buy those sneakers?
- 601. - Not far from here.
- The shirt, as well?
- 602. - No, uptown.
- 603. It's a designer shirt.
- 604. If I give you money
can you buy me one?
- 605. Shorts and a shirt?
- 606. Buy whatever you can.
- 607. - What size are you?
- Measure me.
- 608. - With what, man?
- Shit, with your hand.
- 609. Shoe size? Turn around.
- 610. - Hey, Benny!
- You got the digs?
- 611. - Just one pair of pants?
- No, there's more.
- 612. - You like it?
- 613. There's some change.
- 614. - Keep it.
- 615. This is Benny.
- 616. - This is Rocket.
- Hi. I know him.
- 617. I've become a playboy.
- 618. Hey, gangsters, listen to this...
- 619. Watch out...
- 620. Groovies shake their asses
before laying a big one.
- 621. Oh, yeah?
- 622. Fuck off, you bastards!
- 623. Making fun of me?
- 624. Asshole!
- 625. Benny, didn't I tell you to shoot Carrot?
He's endangering the ghetto.
- 626. - Cool it. Go talk to him.
- I'm gonna kill that fucker.
- 627. - Stop trying to wipe out everyone.
- I'm gonna kill him.
- 628. Don't worry, Angelica.
The guys in here are cool.
- 629. Sure, I'm not worried.
- 630. You gonna dance, Benny?
What about Carrot?
- 631. Go on, buddy. Go talk to the guy.
- 632. Benny was the coolest hood
in the City of God.
- 633. He gave away pot,
paid for drinks.
- 634. Li'l Z' was the opposite.
He had one obsession:
- 635. To be the boss of the ghetto.
- 636. He wanted an excuse to take over
- 637. - Hey, Carrot.
- What's up?
- 638. You shouldn't let the Runts
do hold-ups in the ghetto.
- 639. You look after your section,
I'll look after mine.
- 640. Got that? I'm gonna get a drink.
- 641. - Hey, Rocket! How's it going?
- 642. - Hey, Benny!
- How's it going?
- 643. - Hey, Thiago. How are you?
- 644. - May I?
- 645. Wanna dance?
- 646. - Is it okay at your place?
- No problem.
- 647. My parents are out.
You'll be all alone with her.
- 648. - You can lose your virginity tonight.
- Not so loud, man!
- 649. Everyone will hear.
- 650. - You're beautiful.
- Thank you.
- 651. - Shit!
- Nothing's happening.
- 652. Look, man, I know the Runts
are associated with you.
- 653. Think I'm a sucker, you little brat?
You want to take my racket?
- 654. I want to talk to you
because you're fucking useless.
- 655. Get your hand away!
- 656. The Runts are screwing up
our security, man.
- 657. Give the baby his bottle.
- 658. Carrot, just ask the kids
to cool it, okay?
- 659. Carrot's useless. He lets the Runts
do hold-ups in his section.
- 660. The police come around and
that's bad for business.
- 661. I'll do it only because
I like you.
- 662. But you need to change
that baby's diapers.
- 663. I'll show you who's the baby...
- 664. Tell the kids that in my ghetto
no one robs or rapes!
- 665. No wonder you're "Little" Z'!
- 666. The Runts were kids who didn't
respect the laws of the ghetto.
- 667. They would mug residents,
hold up bakeries...
- 668. especially in Carrot's section.
- 669. What are you doing?
- 670. - You rob me all the time!
- But they didn't know...
- 671. that the City had a boss now.
- 672. The City had become
much safer for residents.
- 673. There were hardly
any hold-ups now.
- 674. You just had to go see Li'l Z'.
- 675. - Let's go.
- Don't hurt the Runts.
- 676. I won't touch them.
- 677. - Hi, Steak.
- How's it going, Li'l Z'?
- 678. - Wanna take a walk, Steak?
- With you? Hold on...
- 679. Mom, I'm going out with
- 680. That's the best chicken
I ever ate.
- 681. - The old guy was scared shitless.
- Feeling sorry for him?
- 682. You're crazy, man!
- 683. Why not stick up
a bank or a supermarket?
- 684. - Peanuts. Drugs are where it's at.
- Yeah, selling drugs.
- 685. But you have to start out as a delivery
boy. You wanna be a delivery boy?
- 686. It's a rip off.
It takes a long time to move up.
- 687. You have to wait till an older guy
gets killed to move up.
- 688. I don't wanna wait till some guy
croaks. I'm gonna do what Li'l Z' did.
- 689. I'm gonna wipe them all out.
- 690. Talking about me, kid?
The boss is here.
- 691. Come back, you brat!
- 692. - They're quick, those kids.
- They run fast.
- 693. They're all gone except you.
- 694. You're gonna pay
for the ones that escaped.
- 695. You choose. Shall I shoot you
in the hand or foot?
- 696. Come on, choose!
- 697. Hand or foot?
- 698. Choose, for fuck's sake!
- 699. - Hand.
- The little hand, eh?
- 700. Cool.
- 701. Hey, Steak'n'fries,
let's see what you're made of.
- 702. Choose and then kill
one of them.
- 703. - Leave it. I'll do it.
- Butt out, Tuba. This is for him.
- 704. Go on, Steak.
- 705. Go on, choose one and shoot.
- 706. Come on, I haven't got all day.
- 707. Kill one of them.
- 708. Let's go, Steak.
I'm in a hurry.
- 709. I wanna see what you're made of.
- 710. Well done!
- 711. You did it.
- 712. - You're one of us. Give me five.
- Very good, Steak.
- 713. Get up, brat. Go back
to your rat hole. Without limping!
- 714. Tell your buddies that no one
robs in Li'l Z攕 ghetto.
- 715. Go now.
And no limping, okay?
- 716. Cool, Li'l Z'.
- 717. While Li'l Z' was winning
the respect of the residents...
- 718. Benny was winning
- 719. As for me, I was still
a virgin, single and broke.
- 720. I had no choice.
- 721. SUCKER'S LIFE
- 722. I had to take a job
in a supermarket.
- 723. I worked long hours for chicken feed.
I wanted to be laid off...
- 724. so I could buy a camera
with the severance pay.
- 725. But things didn't
work out that way.
- 726. - It's the guy on the beach.
- Hey, bro!
- 727. - Still smoking good stuff?
- 728. That guy's too cool.
- 729. Hey, kid. Come here.
Lift up your shirt.
- 730. We give these ghetto kids a chance
and they don't appreciate it.
- 731. - What about my severance pay?
- What severance pay?
- 732. That fucking manager thought
I was part of the gang.
- 733. You're fired for serious misconduct.
Get out. Immediately!
- 734. I didn't get a single cent.
- 735. It was like a message from God:
- 736. "Honesty doesn't pay, sucker'."
- 737. The bus sure took a long time to come.
I should already be at work.
- 738. Shit, hide that gun.
Are you nuts?
- 739. It was Goose's.
It's broken anyway.
- 740. It's not our fault, the company
runs few buses on this line.
- 741. It's never anyone's fault.
It's always someone else's.
- 742. But it's the workers who suffer.
And then, they make us squeeze!
- 743. Have a nice evening, ma'am.
- 744. I know that guy.
- 745. He lives in the City.
He'll recognize us.
- 746. So? He couldn't care less
if we take his boss' money.
- 747. Okay. Let's go.
- 748. Well, boys? Aren't you from
the City of God?
- 749. Yeah.
- 750. I'll let one of you through
- 751. You should study
so you can get out of the ghetto.
- 752. It's too full of cops and
- 753. - Did you study?
- I was in school and in the army.
- 754. I was the best marksman
in my barracks.
- 755. This job was all
I could find afterwards.
- 756. But I do karate.
If I'm hired somewhere...
- 757. I'll leave the ghetto.
- 758. - Do you fight, then?
- I'm for peace and love.
- 759. But if I have to...
- 760. He didn't know he would have to.
- 761. But not yet, it's not time
to tell Knockout Ned's story.
- 762. - We should be going.
- Let's go.
- 763. - Good bye.
- 764. See you.
- 765. I couldn't do it.
He was such a cool guy.
- 766. Yeah, totally.
That's Gerson's brother.
- 767. Let's go home.
- 768. There's nothing here
except that bakery over there.
- 769. - What will you say?
- I don't know. "This is a hold-up."
- 770. Here's my number.
- 771. - You like soul or groovy parties?
- 772. That one didn't work either.
- 773. The counter girl was just too foxy.
And she flirted with me.
- 774. Will you call me?
- 775. I couldn't pull a gun on her,
she was too sweet.
- 776. Yeah, I agree.
- 777. Excuse me. I'm lost.
How do I get to Barra?
- 778. - To Barra?
- 779. I thought: "Tough luck
for this guy from Sao Paulo."
- 780. - In fact, we were going there.
- You're kidding.
- 781. - You're a lifesaver.
- That's right.
- 782. Because no guy from Sao Paulo
could ever be cool.
- 783. - The body's over here.
- We found it, Chief.
- 784. The forensic expert!
- 785. - Not a pretty sight, eh?
- You said it.
- 786. - What a great singer.
- You like him?
- 787. - I love music. What about you?
- Tell me, do you also like pot?
- 788. I can't say I've never tried it.
- 789. The devil recognizes his own.
- 790. - Do you have papers?
- I think so.
- 791. I have some.
- 792. I'd always been an ace
at rolling a joint.
- 793. If I'd had the same skill
- 794. I'd never have lost so many chances
to lose my virginity.
- 795. - For a Sao Paulo guy you're very cool.
- Thanks, bro.
- 796. What did they use?
- 797. A club or a rock.
And the child?
- 798. - Untouched.
- Thank goodness.
- 799. - How long ago?
- About four hours.
- 800. - Can we take it away?
- Go ahead.
- 801. The murderer has to be
from the City of God.
- 802. You bastard!
- 803. Did you have to kill
your chick in the ghetto?
- 804. - The place is crawling with cops now!
- Come on, Li'l Z'.
- 805. - Come on? Fuck you!
- I had to avenge my honor.
- 806. Her family's turned me in.
You won't have any problems.
- 807. The cops are everywhere because
of you. You're dead meat, asshole.
- 808. Let up, Li'l Z'.
You've punished him enough.
- 809. You know the law.
- 810. Anyone who kills in my ghetto
has to die as an example.
- 811. That was his business, Li'l Z'.
- 812. Listen, you sonofabitch,
get outta the ghetto.
- 813. You showed no respect, understand?
- 814. You know what, Benny?
- 815. You're too nice. If you raise
a snake, expect to get bitten.
- 816. He wasn't worth shit.
- 817. - A dirty traitor.
- Shut up, Tuba.
- 818. I'm going for a walk
with my girl.
- 819. Okay, be careful.
When things calm down...
- 820. we'll get back to our business
with Carrot, okay?
- 821. You need a girlfriend, Li'l Z'.
- 822. Know what I'm thinking, Benny?
- 823. That I'm so sexy?
- 824. That too. But I mean,
you know what we could do?
- 825. - Make love again.
- I'm serious.
- 826. We could go away from here.
This violence sucks.
- 827. Go where?
- 828. To a farm.
- 829. We're really hippies at heart,
- 830. A farm?
- 831. Peace and love?
- 832. BENNY'S FAREWELL
- 833. Benny was just too cool
to go on being a hoodlum.
- 834. He succeeded in getting everybody
together for his good-bye party.
- 835. The gangs...
- 836. The soul crowd...
- 837. - The religious crowd...
- One day, I'll go to church.
- 838. The samba crowd...
- 839. The groovy crowd...
- 840. And Li'l Z', who had never
danced in his life.
- 841. Want to dance with me?
Want to dance with me?
- 842. - I didn't hear...
- Want to dance?
- 843. No, thank you, I'm with someone.
- 844. Hey, Rocket!
- 845. Come, I want to talk
to you, buddy.
- 846. - You can't just split with that chick.
- Why not?
- 847. I'm gonna go live on a farm,
smoke pot, listen to rock.
- 848. You wanna throw away everything
we've accomplished for that bitch?
- 849. She's not a bitch, she's my girl.
- 850. We'll take over Carrot's business,
it'll be yours.
- 851. - Leave Carrot alone, he's a good guy.
- He's a motherfucker!
- 852. See? Everyone's a motherfucker
to you. That's why I'm leaving.
- 853. I'm your friend,
but I'm getting out.
- 854. You got to understand,
I have to go.
- 855. I love you, man,
but I've had enough.
- 856. Motherfucker, let's see
if you have any balls.
- 857. - What is this?
- You wanna die? Fuck off, bitch!
- 858. Strip, nigger.
I wanna see your ass.
- 859. Hurry up!
Take it all off! Now!
- 860. I wanna see your ass.
Come on, faggot!
- 861. Let's go, nigger!
- 862. Show your ass to everyone!
- 863. Please...
- 864. - Strip, dammit!
- Hurry it up!
- 865. What's up, Benny?
This camera for a bag of coke?
- 866. - I don't deal anymore.
- C'mon, do it for me. You're my friend.
- 867. - Is it stolen?
- It's okay, it's my dad's.
- 868. Your dad's?
- 869. - Give it to Li'l Z'.
- Rocket would love this camera.
- 870. - Yeah, here.
- 871. Here I am!
- 872. - You wanna be a photographer?
- 873. - Here's a present.
- Shit, dude! This is great!
- 874. Now move your ass.
- 875. You'll take some great pictures.
- 876. Give me that.
- 877. - Give me back the camera!
- 878. What's your problem?
Are you crazy?
- 879. They've killed Benny!
- 880. Fuck! Call an ambulance!
Where's the motherfucker who did it?
- 881. - Z', Benny is dead.
- No! Call a doctor!
- 882. Get out of here, bitch!
It's your fault!
- 883. Motherfucker!
- 884. Where's Carrot?
- 885. Blacky's here.
- 886. He's in trouble.
- 887. I'm fucked.
- 888. - Why?
- I'm fucked.
- 889. And you are too.
I think I killed Benny.
- 890. Li'l Z' is coming
to take your place.
- 891. We can get him,
he's in the dance hall.
- 892. You killed Benny?
- 893. I didn't mean to. He moved.
I was aiming at Li'l Z'.
- 894. Come on, let's go.
- 895. Blacky...
- 896. You killed the coolest
hood in the City of God.
- 897. Let's go get Li'l Z'.
- 898. Carrot knew that without Benny only
a miracle could save his business.
- 899. We're fucked, man.
- 900. But what better place for a miracle to
happen than in the City of God?
- 901. Look who's here.
My sugar babe.
- 902. - Let me by.
- Gimme a kiss, girl.
- 903. Let me by, please.
Have you seen what you look like?
- 904. Come on, Li'l Z'.
- 905. Hi, honey.
Everything okay, baby?
- 906. The problem was simple. Li'l Z' was
ugly. Knockout Ned was handsome.
- 907. Knockout Ned could get any girl.
Li'l Z' had to pay or use force.
- 908. It was a duel between
the handsome good guy...
- 909. and the ugly bad guy.
- 910. - Let me go!
- Just enjoy it.
- 911. There's no use fighting.
You're mine now.
- 912. Hey, faggot, your broad's
- 913. I can't even look her in
the face now.
- 914. Why didn't that fucker kill me?
- 915. Hold on...
Why didn't I kill that fucker?
- 916. Let's go back.
- 917. - What about Carrot?
- We'll get back to him.
- 918. You gonna kill him?
- 919. Knockout Ned, your chick's a slut.
Come out, motherfucker!
- 920. - Come out, you loser!
- Take it easy...
- 921. I'm going out. Let me go.
- 922. Gerson! Come back, son!
- 923. This doesn't concern you, kid.
We're here for your brother.
- 924. Let's talk, we can work it out.
My brother's a peaceful guy.
- 925. Is he too good-looking
to come talk to me? Call him.
- 926. He hasn't done anything.
- 927. You know who I am?
- 928. - Li'l Z', man.
- He's Li'l Z'.
- 929. Call that motherfucker!
- 930. Go on, man.
- 931. Calm down, I'll call him.
- 932. My arm! I hurt my arm.
Carrot will have to wait.
- 933. That loser got what he deserved.
- 934. Let's go!
- 935. Gerson...
- 936. That bastard killed my brother.
- 937. I can't let that go.
- 938. - Want a gun?
- My son...
- 939. Calm down, mom.
- 940. Please, mom...
- 941. Do it right, asshole.
- 942. - There's no other way.
- How'd I let that loser hit me?
- 943. Shit, that's some hole.
- 944. - It's as if we were brothers.
- Shut up.
- 945. Both of us hurt in the arm.
You by one brother, me the other.
- 946. It would be really funny
if we were brothers.
- 947. That Knockout Ned's not bad, eh?
He came out of nowhere.
- 948. Shut up, Tuba!
You're a fucking pain!
- 949. It was as if the City of God
had suddenly found a hero.
- 950. God bless you, son.
- 951. That kid was just asking
to be killed.
- 952. Well done.
- 953. You did a good job.
- 954. You'd better go hide.
- 955. I thought Knockout Ned
would start a revolution here.
- 956. But God had other plans.
- 957. Steak,
where are all the dealers?
- 958. They're hiding.
Li'l Z' is in a bad mood.
- 959. They get us hooked and then
they go off and hide.
- 960. Do me a favor. Go get some
nose candy for me.
- 961. I'll try.
- 962. Tell them it's for Thiago,
to keep my buzz going.
- 963. Steak'n'fries,
go to Carrot's and tell him...
- 964. Li'l Z' says that if you kill
Knockout, he'll leave you alone.
- 965. Hey, Knockout Ned.
Did you hear that?
- 966. Grab the kid!
- 967. You heard the boy? If you don't
stick with us, you're dead.
- 968. I think you should join us.
We'll be partners.
- 969. Drugs aren't my thing.
- 970. This is just something
between me and him.
- 971. Those guys aren't worth shit.
- 972. They'll do anything for power.
- 973. Like that kid.
- 974. They're all robots,
like this punk here.
- 975. What's in your head, kid?
- 976. Can't you see you're
wrecking your life...
- 977. with that maniac and a bunch
of trigger-happy fools?
- 978. - Are you crazy? You're just a kid.
- A kid? I smoke, snort...
- 979. I've killed and robbed.
I'm a man.
- 980. Shit, you have no idea!
- 981. He's attached to his gang.
You should join up with us.
- 982. - Shall we kill him?
- Steak, we're going to grind you.
- 983. - Okay, I accept.
- 984. Tell your boss that Knockout Ned
and Carrot are now in command.
- 985. But on one condition:
No killing of innocent people.
- 986. I can't accept that, understand?
- 987. Okay, no innocent people.
- 988. Steak fucked up!
- 989. - Have you a gun for me?
- 990. but we can hold up
a gun store.
- 991. That's no problem.
- 992. I don't want to hold up anything.
I'm not a hoodlum.
- 993. This is a personal affair
between me and him, okay?
- 994. I'm not a hoodlum.
- 995. He raped your chick...
- 996. killed your uncle and brother,
gunned your house...
- 997. and you killed one of his guys.
- 998. If you're not a hood,
then get out.
- 999. This is a hold-up!
- 1000. - The first time...
- Where are the revolvers?
- 1001. Knockout Ned saved a salesclerk
from being shot by Carrot.
- 1002. We said no killing!
- 1003. That's the rule.
- 1004. We want the boss' money. Everyone
keep calm. Open the cash register!
- 1005. You want us to go?
We do too.
- 1006. So hurry up!
- 1007. - Look at the ground!
- The second time...
- 1008. Carrot saved
Knockout Ned's life.
- 1009. Ned learned that there's
an exception to every rule.
- 1010. Exception to the rule.
- 1011. - Are you the manager?
- 1012. This is a hold-up.
Everyone on the ground!
- 1013. On the ground!
- 1014. Give me the money!
- 1015. I'm not kidding.
- 1016. The first person who moves
- 1017. The third time, the exception
becomes the rule.
- 1018. Carrot and Knockout Ned
prepared to face Li'l Z'.
- 1019. Carrot could protect his
- 1020. Knockout Ned...
- 1021. the best marksman in his battalion,
- 1022. First, the Italians.
This is a 9 mm.
- 1023. - Let me see.
- Not bad, eh?
- 1024. - The sight isn't well-aligned.
- I'll give you a good price.
- 1025. The 12 mm, the "hand job".
- 1026. See why?
- 1027. An Uzi, 9 mm. It's Israeli.
- 1028. - The star of David.
- 1029. I want a 30-06.
- 1030. Now we can start having fun.
- 1031. The war's on.
Let's start with a prayer.
- 1032. Our Father who art in heaven
hallowed be our name...
- 1033. Our will be done...
- 1034. On earth as it is in heaven...
- 1035. Hoodlums have guns,
but can't shoot.
- 1036. One bullet from Knockout Ned
was worth ten from Li'l Z攕 gang.
- 1037. Li'l Z' couldn't take it.
- 1038. The ghetto had been a purgatory,
now it was hell.
- 1039. I decided to get out.
That's how I became a reporter.
- 1040. Great photo!
- 1041. I bet it's by Rogerio Reis.
- 1042. What did I tell you?
- 1043. Like any pro...
- 1044. I started at the bottom,
way down at the bottom.
- 1045. Without knowing what awaited me.
- 1046. Instead of going home
I'd go over to the paper.
- 1047. A guy from the City of God
worked in the lab.
- 1048. Check this out.
- 1049. He helped me move closer to
what I loved most in life.
- 1050. - Hi, Rogerio.
- How are you, Pierre?
- 1051. This is Rocket.
He's a photographer.
- 1052. Hello, Rocket.
- 1053. - He's a fan of yours.
- 1054. You have good taste, Rocket!
- 1055. - Well, I'm done. I'm off.
- See you.
- 1056. What a cool guy!
- 1057. What should have been
a swift revenge...
- 1058. turned into an all-out war.
- 1059. The City of God was divided.
- 1060. You couldn't go from one
section to the other.
- 1061. Not even to visit a relative.
- 1062. The cops considered anyone
living in the ghetto a hoodlum.
- 1063. People got used to living
- 1064. And more and more volunteers
kept signing up to die.
- 1065. This kid...
- 1066. - What do you want?
- A boy from Carrot's gang punched me.
- 1067. The war was
an excuse for everything.
- 1068. One of Li'l Z攕 soldiers
- 1069. Take this.22.
- 1070. The jerk who raped my sister is
- 1071. Li'l Z' evicted my family.
- 1072. Kill... Be respected.
- 1073. - I'm Thiago, a friend of Benny's.
- Can you read? Can you add?
- 1074. - I'm pretty good in business.
- Okay, get to work.
- 1075. - What do you want?
- To get my father's murderer.
- 1076. - What's your name?
- My name's Otto.
- 1077. What's the matter?
- 1078. - He's a worker.
- But he wants a gun.
- 1079. He won't last a week.
- 1080. A year later, no one
remembered how it had all begun.
- 1081. Take that!
- 1082. For both sides, the aim was to take
over the enemy's business in order...
- 1083. to buy more guns and take over
- 1084. I smoke, snort,
I've killed and robbed.
- 1085. I'm a man.
- 1086. The media started taking an interest.
The police had to intervene.
- 1087. A gang leader, from the City of God,
was arrested today.
- 1088. Manuel Machado,
a.k.a. Knockout Ned...
- 1089. was hospitalized after being
wounded by Li'l Z攕 gang.
- 1090. Our reporter interviewed him.
- 1091. - Is the war still going on?
- It's still going on.
- 1092. - Have many people died?
- Many have died.
- 1093. Mostly innocent people.
- 1094. Just knowing me is enough...
- 1095. to get you killed by Li'l Z'.
- 1096. - The police don't go in there?
- They go after me, not him.
- 1097. I've been in jail, while he goes
on killing undisturbed.
- 1098. And they don't arrest him.
- 1099. Knockout Ned says
the war will continue.
- 1100. Police Chief Guedes has promised
to arrest both of the gangs.
- 1101. Motherfucker!
- 1102. I'm the boss here, but he gets
his picture in the paper!
- 1103. - Have you found mine?
- Just Knockout Ned's.
- 1104. Keep looking.
- 1105. At least my name's
got to be in there.
- 1106. - There's nothing.
- Can you read?
- 1107. Just the pictures.
- 1108. Nothing.
- 1109. Hey, what the fuck are you doing?
- 1110. - It's just the want ads.
- I don't care, read everything!
- 1111. - But there aren't any articles.
- Want a bullet in your head?
- 1112. Gotta show them who's boss here.
- 1113. - Give me the camera!
- No way!
- 1114. Take my picture, man.
- 1115. I can't work it.
- 1116. Go ahead.
- 1117. - I'll hold the Beretta.
- Let me try...
- 1118. Back off...
- 1119. - There's no click.
- What a bunch of bozos!
- 1120. I'm fucked with you guys.
- 1121. I have an idea.
- 1122. I'll go get a guy I know.
- 1123. - Here he is.
- Take the camera.
- 1124. Well, kid?
- 1125. Aren't you a photographer?
Make the camerawork. We can't do it.
- 1126. Take our picture.
- 1127. - You fucking broke it.
- It wasn't me.
- 1128. I found it.
- 1129. It has to be wound.
- 1130. - What's your name?
- 1131. - Another picture, Rocket.
- How about two rows?
- 1132. - What?
- Two rows. Everyone with their guns.
- 1133. - You're outside, for Christ's sake!
- Talk to him nicely, kid.
- 1134. Sorry. Move in, please.
- 1135. Another one.
- 1136. - I think the roll's finished.
- Then show us the pictures.
- 1137. - They have to be developed.
- 1138. How much is it?
- 1139. Take this money.
And bring back the pictures.
- 1140. - I have to remove the film.
- Keep the camera.
- 1141. Benny wanted to give it to you,
didn't he? So, it's yours...
- 1142. Thanks.
- 1143. Don't forget the pictures.
The photos, Rocket!
- 1144. - Pierre!
- 1145. Can you develop this for me?
- 1146. I can't, Rocket.
I could get into trouble.
- 1147. It's only for the paper's reporters.
I could risk my job.
- 1148. - Pierre?
- Yes, Rogerio?
- 1149. Develop these for me.
This one too, okay?
- 1150. I'm going to lunch.
- 1151. You're lucky. What size?
- 1152. - What?
- For the enlargement, what size?
- 1153. Well... Whatever you think is best.
- 1154. - Here.
- 1155. I'm in deep shit now.
- 1156. I'm as good as dead.
- 1157. Someone had signed
my death sentence.
- 1158. I wanted to bash the jerk's face in.
- 1159. Are you Marina?
Because of you I'm dead.
- 1160. You stole my photos.
- 1161. Dead? Stole? What do you mean?
Not so loud.
- 1162. Not so loud?
I'll be killed because of you.
- 1163. You were gone,
your photos were in the lab.
- 1164. There's nothing I can do.
The photos in our lab...
- 1165. are photos to be published
in the paper.
- 1166. I saw the photos,
I published them.
- 1167. - You stole them.
- I did not. Here they are.
- 1168. - Give them to me.
- Just a second.
- 1169. Here are your photos.
- 1170. - Are there any others?
- Calm down. What's your name?
- 1171. - Rocket.
- 1172. Nice to meet you.
- 1173. Now, relax. I have money for you.
For your pictures.
- 1174. Here, when we use a picture
we pay the photographer.
- 1175. - Do you want to be a photographer?
- 1176. - Great start! On the front page.
- How'd you get these photos?
- 1177. - I live there.
- 1178. no photographer has ever been able
to go in there.
- 1179. If you could bring us
more pictures of Li'l Z'...
- 1180. the paper would buy them.
We'd pay you.
- 1181. Could you?
- 1182. I don't know.
- 1183. What's the problem?
- 1184. The problem? I can't go there
anymore at night.
- 1185. - And during the day?
- It's too risky.
- 1186. Look, man! They've finally
understood that I'm the boss.
- 1187. What's your
- 1188. Rocket.
- 1189. He's good. I'll take more
to show the others.
- 1190. So, Rocket, is it yes or no?
- 1191. It's a great opportunity.
- 1192. Okay.
- 1193. - You made the right choice. Very good!
- I'll give you some film, lenses...
- 1194. and even another camera.
I'll show you the equipment room.
- 1195. There's another problem.
- 1196. - What is it?
- Where can I sleep tonight?
- 1197. I can't go back now.
- 1198. This is a 135 mm.
Will you be close up or far away?
- 1199. Far away.
- 1200. - Can you measure the light?
- 1201. Aren't you too close?
- 1202. I don't know what spurred me
to go talk to them like that.
- 1203. Maybe I was going to die...
- 1204. but now I had a camera...
- 1205. and a chance to become
- 1206. Watch out for the dog shit.
- 1207. Not to mention that
the night was still young...
- 1208. - Want something to eat?
- No thank you, ma'am.
- 1209. Nothing to eat? Nothing to drink?
- 1210. Try this...
- 1211. It's time to go to sleep.
- 1212. I'll show you your bed.
- 1213. - You have hot water, don't you?
- 1214. You've never taken a hot shower?
- 1215. - No.
- What do you do?
- 1216. We heat up the kettle.
- 1217. - Why are you standing there?
- What room do I sleep in?
- 1218. Unfortunately, there's only one room.
You have to sleep with me.
- 1219. I won't go into the details
of my first sexual experience.
- 1220. Just relax...
- 1221. Because, elsewhere...
- 1222. another more important sex scene
for the ghetto was taking place.
- 1223. Carrot was helping
Knockout Ned escape...
- 1224. without firing a shot.
- 1225. The policeman guarding him was
in the willing hands of the nurse.
- 1226. And in the meantime...
- 1227. to eliminate Carrot, Li'l Z'
was investing in munitions.
- 1228. He invested heavily,
even if he couldn't pay...
- 1229. - Remember the double-barrel?
- I already have it.
- 1230. This is a repeater rifle. You don't have
this one, the Browning.
- 1231. - It'll shoot down a plane.
- I'm not shooting down planes.
- 1232. And the one I asked for?
The AR-15, Uncle Sam.
- 1233. You can't get them in Brazil.
- 1234. My ass, Uncle Sam.
- 1235. I have a solution.
- 1236. The Rugger. Ever seen one?
- 1237. It's like the AR-15.
Same caliber, but lighter.
- 1238. With an infrared sight?
400 shots a minute?
- 1239. - It depends.
- It depends, my ass!
- 1240. Trying to fuck me over?
- 1241. I'll fuck you over first.
- 1242. You leave now without the money
or the guns.
- 1243. - What do I tell the boss?
- That's your problem.
- 1244. - You'll think of something.
- You heard him, chubby? Get out.
- 1245. Beat it, fatso.
- 1246. Li'l Z' had made a big mistake.
- 1247. He should have known that behind
every salesman lies a supplier.
- 1248. And they don't joke around.
- 1249. Have you seen this?
- 1250. What do they need an AR-15 for?
- 1251. These stories will push
the police to investigate.
- 1252. They'll nab you.
And me, along with you.
- 1253. Think I'm going
to give you away?
- 1254. Don't worry,
I'll take care of it.
- 1255. But don't fuck up again.
- 1256. Charlie!
- 1257. Come here!
- 1258. Listen...
- 1259. you tell him...
- 1260. Let's go make that sleazy
little dealer pay up.
- 1261. Come here, kids!
- 1262. - Do you like chicken?
- It depends.
- 1263. We'll eat some chicken
and have Carrot for dessert.
- 1264. I have a present for you.
- 1265. Here...
- 1266. A big one for you.
- 1267. Are you really giving us
- 1268. Yes, but I want you on my side,
- 1269. Then can we hold up
anyone we want?
- 1270. Not in the ghetto.
Can you shoot?
- 1271. - More or less.
- More or less?
- 1272. Hey, you guys, come help
- 1273. I know. You do it like this.
- 1274. Get that chicken!
- 1275. C'mon, let's go.
- 1276. If Li'l Z' catches you,
he'll kill you.
- 1277. Yeah, well, he's gotta
find me first.
- 1278. Hey, kid! Get that chicken!
- 1279. Shit! The cops!
- 1280. Hell, don't fucking run off!
- 1281. Give me that.
- 1282. Hey, Melonhead! You fucking fag!
- 1283. Get the hell out of here!
- 1284. Coward!
- 1285. Asshole!
- 1286. Come on, let them kill each other.
- 1287. They can fuck themselves.
- 1288. Rocket! Take a picture of us!
- 1289. What are you waiting for?
- 1290. What's happening?
- 1291. Shit!
- 1292. Let's go!
- 1293. Run! Run!
- 1294. Watch out!
- 1295. Kill one of these faggots!
- 1296. Knockout Ned!
- 1297. Take it easy. Don't move.
- 1298. It hurts, man.
- 1299. Easy does it, kid.
- 1300. Why did you join this fucking war?
- 1301. Knockout Ned!
Li'l Z' has been hit. Come on!
- 1302. Wait here, I'll help you.
Just hold on.
- 1303. - What's your name?
- My name's Otto.
- 1304. I want to get my father's murderer.
- 1305. Knockout Ned! Li'l Z' has been hit.
- 1306. I'll help you.
Just hold on there.
- 1307. The fucking cops!
- 1308. On the ground!
- 1309. - Hands over your head.
- Don't move!
- 1310. - You're the one I want.
- You're finished, pal.
- 1311. Handcuff him.
- 1312. Rocket, where are you going?
- 1313. I got something to clear up.
- 1314. Okay, lovebirds?
- 1315. Come on, Li'l Z',
let's go settle our scores.
- 1316. Not you. You're a present
for the media.
- 1317. Does it come to 10,000?
- 1318. Almost. That's all I have.
- 1319. - That's all there was, Chief.
- We searched everywhere.
- 1320. Let him go.
- 1321. What about this ring?
Is it gold?
- 1322. Fill it up. You'll owe us
- 1323. Fucking war!
- 1324. Knockout Ned is dead
and I'm dead broke!
- 1325. You're fucked, eh?
- 1326. Kids...
- 1327. we'll have to do a few hold-ups
to get my business going again.
- 1328. - Your business, Li'l Z'?
- What's your problem, kid?
- 1329. This is for our friend,
- 1330. A Soviet attack!
- 1331. The business is ours!
- 1332. This picture of the hood
will get me the job.
- 1333. This one will make me famous.
- 1334. It'll even make the cover
of a magazine.
- 1335. I won't have to worry
about Li'l Z' anymore.
- 1336. But the cops?
- 1337. SELF-STYLED "BOSS"
- 1338. This photo could've gotten
- 1339. I think so.
- 1340. At least it got you a job.
- 1341. - Not a job, an internship.
- It pays a little, doesn't it?
- 1342. A little.
- 1343. What about that lady journalist?
Was she a good lay?
- 1344. - More or less.
- You didn't like it?
- 1345. I don't think journalists know how
- 1346. Yeah, I guess so.
- 1347. Cocoa robbed 3 houses in Barra.
- 1348. Better kill him.
- 1349. Who shot Roger?
- 1350. - It was Beef.
- Kill that fucker.
- 1351. We should kill the Chief
and Gringo as well.
- 1352. - What about Cherry?
- Let's go. Us two, and 3 others...
- 1353. It's a deal.
- 1354. Have you heard
of the Red Brigade?
- 1355. No, but if they come,
we'll kill them.
- 1356. - Who knows how to write?
- Me, sort of.
- 1357. Let's make a black list.
We'll kill them all.
- 1358. - Put fucking Nightowl on there.
- And Croquet.
- 1359. Leonard, too, he owes me money.
- 1360. And China-Man,
he thinks he's hot stuff.
- 1361. - And Claudio.
- Where's Giant?
- 1362. Come on, Giant!
- 1363. I forgot to say,
my name isn't Rocket anymore.
- 1364. I'm now Wilson Rodrigues...
- 1365. photographer.
- 1366. Manuel Machado,
a.k.a. Knockout Ned...
- 1367. was hospitalized after
being wounded by Li'l Z攕 gang.
- 1368. On leaving the hospital,
our reporter interviewed him.
- 1369. Many have died.
Mostly innocent people.
- 1370. Just knowing me is enough...
- 1371. just being my friend...
- 1372. If he thinks someone knows me,
he'll kill them.
- 1373. The police don't go in there?
- 1374. They go after me, not him.
- 1375. I've been in jail 3 times,
while he goes on...
- 1376. killing undisturbed.
- 1377. And they don't arrest him.
- 1378. Knockout Ned says
the war will continue.
- 1379. Police Chief Guedes has promised to
arrest both gangs in the City of God.
- 1380. Watch Full HD Movies & TV Shows