- 1. Yes, Salvatore. Salvatore De Vita.
- 2. What do you meanyou don't know him?
- 3. Yes, that's it. I'm his mother.
- 4. I'm calling from Sicily,
the whole blessed day.
- 5. I see, not there.
- 6. Then please, can you tell me...
- 7. 656-220-56.
- 8. Thank you. Good-bye.
- 9. Mama, it's useless to call.
- 10. He's a busy man, could be anywhere.
- 11. He won't remember anymore.
- 12. Come on, let it go.
- 13. He hasn't been here in 30 years.
- 14. You know how he is.
- 15. He'll remember.
- 16. I'm sure he'll remember. I
know him better than you.
- 17. If he finds out laterwe didn't
tell him, he'll be angry.
- 18. I'd like to talk to Mr. Salvatore De Vita.
- 19. I'm his mother.
- 20. Salvatore...
- 21. what time is it?
- 22. Very late.
- 23. I'm sorry. There was no wayto let you know.
- 24. Go back to sleep.
- 25. Your mother called.
- 26. She took me for someone else.
- 27. What'd you tell her?
- 28. I played along.I didn't
want to disappoint her.
- 29. We had a long talk.
- 30. She said you haven'tvisited
her in 30 years.
- 31. When she wants to see
you, she comes to Rome.
- 32. She called just to say that?
- 33. No.
- 34. She said someone's
died... someone named Alfredo.
- 35. The funeral is tomorrow.
- 36. Who is he, a relative?
- 37. No. Go to sleep.
- 38. The boy will be my
death.How can I say Mass?
- 39. Lord God, we ask you to be pleasedwith the sacrifice
we offer youwith humble and contrite head.
- 40. Cleanse...
- 41. Cleanse...
- 42. Toto!
- 43. Cleanse me from my sin.
- 44. Better late than never.
- 45. How often must I say it? Without
the bell, I lose my place.
- 46. Always sleeping. What do
you do at night, eat?
- 47. Father, at my housewe
don't even eat at noon.
- 48. The veterinarian says so.
That's why I'm tired.
- 49. I know why you're
tired. Don't think I don't.
- 50. Now run along home. I've something to do.
- 51. Can I come?- No, you cannot.
- 52. Yes, yes!- Toto, out!
- 53. I want to! I want to!
- 54. Alfredo.
- 55. Alfredo!
- 56. Yes!
- 57. You can start.
- 58. Here we go again.
- 59. The frame!
- 60. Pepe, one day we'll have it all.
- 61. We'll go away together...
- 62. live the easy life...
- 63. where no one knows us.
- 64. Forget it.
- 65. You don't love me anymore.
- 66. Neved.
- 67. One pair, two pairs!
- 68. 100 lire! Real nylon!
- 69. You mustn't come here.
- 70. I told you and told you... like
talking to a wall.
- 71. If the film catches fire...
- 72. little as you are, you'll go up... boom!
- 73. "And turn into a chunk of charcoal."
- 74. Like to wag your tongue, eh?
- 75. One day, I'll cut it off.
- 76. Like that.
- 77. Can I have it?
- 78. Come on, can I have it?
- 79. Well, can I?- No!
- 80. Deaf as a post!
- 81. I have to splice it
backbefore I return the film.
- 82. What a pest you are!
- 83. Why didn't you splice thesewhen
you gave the films back?
- 84. Sometimes I can't findthe right
place, so they stay here.
- 85. Anyway, they kiss too much.
- 86. Then I can have them.
- 87. No. Now look, come here.
- 88. Before I kick your fanny,
I'll make you a deal.
- 89. All those are yours... a present.
- 90. Thanks.
- 91. But one, you keep out of here, and
two, they stay with me. Got it?
- 92. All right.
- 93. Right. Then we agree.Now scram.
- 94. What kind of a deal is that?
- 95. If they're mine, how come you keep them?
- 96. Don't come back, or I'll thrash you!
- 97. "Shoot first, think later."
- 98. "This is no job for
weaklings, traitorous dog."
- 99. "Hey, you! Dirty swine,
hands off that gold!"
- 100. "Blackhearted pig, stay away from me...
- 101. or I'll smash your face in."
- 102. Mama, the war's over, but...
why doesn't Papa come back?
- 103. He'll come back, you'll
see.One of these days.
- 104. I don't remember him.
- 105. Where's Russia?
- 106. It takes years to get
thereand years to come back.
- 107. Go to bed. It's late.
- 108. You can hoodwink your mother, but not me!
- 109. Get your diplomaand join the police!
- 110. Good-for-nothing! Get in there and study!
- 111. Well? How much is 5 times 5?
- 112. 30.
- 113. Silence!
- 114. Table of 5's, dimwit.
- 115. 1times 5 is 5...
- 116. 2 times 5 is 10...
- 117. 3 times 5 is 15...
- 118. 4 times 5 is 20...
- 119. 5 times 5?
- 120. 40.
- 121. Silence!
- 122. Boccia...
- 123. 25.
- 124. Learn your tables, or
you'll never get a job.
- 125. For the last time...
- 126. what is 5 times 5?
- 127. Christmas!
- 128. I paid to get in. I'm seeing the movie.
- 129. Get down from there, you devil.
- 130. Go back to your seat.
- 131. Worse than rabbits. They're
all over the place.
- 132. Little monsters.
- 133. I'm off to Oregon.
- 134. Wait for me at my ranch.
- 135. Wait for a dead man?
- 136. A star-studded cast...
- 137. featuring John Wayne...
- 138. Claire Trevor...
- 139. Hello, everyone!
- 140. Can't I say hello?- Double feature today.
- 141. So? I'm here to sleep.
- 142. What's your smoke?- Americans.
- 143. Cut the news, Alfredo!
- 144. The men and womenwho fought in secret...
- 145. brave guerrillas, reunited in Rome...
- 146. for the first Resistance Rally.
- 147. What does it say?
- 148. I'm illiterate.
- 149. You, too?
- 150. Twelve hours of blood and sweat...
- 151. to bring home barely
enoughto keep from starving.
- 152. Yet their nets...
- 153. when they pulled them up, were full.
- 154. I knew it!
- 155. Twenty years I've gone to
moviesand never saw a kiss.
- 156. And when will we?
- 157. Kiss my ass!
- 158. Don Vincenzo.- You and you, to work.
- 159. What about me?
- 160. Go get a job from Stalin.
- 161. His day will come, even here. You watch.
- 162. I always get left out.
- 163. Good movie. The kid really acted well.
- 164. Too bad he was so unlucky.
- 165. What a jackass to buy that boat.
- 166. Idiot, you didn't get it at all.
- 167. Right, boys, you work from dawn to dusk.
- 168. And don't ask how much it pays.
- 169. Mama.
- 170. I waited all day.You got milk?
- 171. No.
- 172. The money?
- 173. Stolen.
- 174. You spent it on movies?
- 175. Movies, always movies!
- 176. Signora Maria, wait.
- 177. Leave him alone. Go easy.
- 178. And you, why do you tell lies?
- 179. You know you got in free.
- 180. Tell your mother.
- 181. Maybe he lost the money inside.
- 182. How much?- 50 lire.
- 183. What'd you find tonight, under the seats?
- 184. A comb.
- 185. Two shoe lifts.
- 186. Can of tobacco... And?
- 187. 50 lire.
- 188. See?
- 189. Thank you, Alfredo.
- 190. Goodbye.- Bye.
- 191. See you.
- 192. I understood right away.
- 193. The square is mine! It's my square!
- 194. It's midnight. Midnight!
- 195. Out! Shooll have to close the square.
- 196. Hard on the feet, eh, Father?
- 197. Going, it's all downhilland
all the saints help out.
- 198. But coming back, the saints just watch.
- 199. If that's God's will.
- 200. See you tonight.
- 201. What's wrong?
- 202. Your foot this time.
- 203. Always something. What can we do?
- 204. Alfredo, did you know my father?
- 205. What a question. And how I knew him.
- 206. Tall, thin, jolly, with a
nice moustache like me.
- 207. Always smiling.A lot like Clark Gable.
- 208. Now that I'm olderand go to fifth grade...
- 209. I don't say I shouldcome in the booth...
- 210. but can't weat least be friends?
- 211. "I choose my friends for looks,
my enemies for intelligence."
- 212. You're too foxy to be my friend.
- 213. I always tell my children...
- 214. "Be careful how youchoose your friends."
- 215. You haven't got any children.
- 216. When I do, I'll tell them.
- 217. Don't cry, don't cry.it's all right.
- 218. The fire's out.it's over. I'm here.
- 219. What happened?
- 220. Monster!
- 221. Your little sistercould've burned to death.
- 222. And all your fault!
- 223. I told you not to keep your
filmunder the bed by the fire pan.
- 224. Even the photographs burned!
- 225. Nearly set fire to the house.
- 226. You and your stupid movies!
- 227. Aren't you ashamed at your
ageto play with a boy?
- 228. Why look at me? What did I do?
- 229. Who gave him the film?
- 230. Don't do it again. He goes crazy. Crazy!
- 231. All I hear is movies, Alfredo.
- 232. Alfredo, movies!
- 233. Swear you won't let him in again. Swear it!
- 234. You have my word.
- 235. God grant me this.
- 236. Send your father hometo whip you!
- 237. Papa won't come back, and I know why.
- 238. He's dead.
- 239. That's not true.
- 240. You'll see, he'll come back.
- 241. They smoke like chimneys.
- 242. No. Go buy a ticket.
- 243. No!
- 244. What was that?
- 245. I'll make mincemeat of you!
You'll reckon with me!
- 246. Signora Anna!
- 247. Alfredo.
- 248. Don't blame me. Your wifetold
me to bring your lunch.
- 249. I told my motheryou
didn't give me the film.
- 250. It wasn't your fault.
- 251. I thought it was a jokeabout
film catching fire.
- 252. I just wanted to tell you.Now I'll go.
- 253. Toto, come here.
- 254. Come on, come sit down.
- 255. Now listen. I got intothis
business at age ten.
- 256. Back then, we didn't havefancy machines.
- 257. Movies were silent.
- 258. You turned the projector by hand...
- 259. with a crank.
- 260. The whole livelong day!
- 261. And it was hard, that damn crank.
- 262. If you got tiredand slowed down a bit...
- 263. like a shot, whoom, everything burned.
- 264. So why not teach me?
- 265. Now that there's no
crankand it's dead easy.
- 266. Because I don't want to.
- 267. It's no kind ofjob for you.
- 268. You're like a slave...
- 269. and always alone.
- 270. You see a film 100 times.You've
nothing else to do.
- 271. You talk to Garbo and Tyrone Powerlike a
- 272. You work like a burro.
- 273. Even holidays... Easter, Christmas.
- 274. You only get Good Friday off.
- 275. And if they hadn'tstuck
Christ on a cross...
- 276. we'd even work then.
- 277. So why don't you change jobs?
- 278. Because I'm a nitwit.
- 279. Who else around herecould run a projector?
- 280. Nobody. It takesan imbecile like me.
- 281. And I never had any luck.
- 282. So! Want to be a stick-in-the-mudlike me?
How about it?
- 283. Attaboy, Toto.
- 284. I only tell youfor your own good.
- 285. Cooped up here. Suffocate in
summer, freeze to death in winter.
- 286. Breathing fumes.
- 287. And you earn chicken feed.
- 288. Don't you likeanything about it?
- 289. Oh, it grows on you.
- 290. Sometimes you listen...
- 291. and the house is full of people...
- 292. giggling and laughing.
- 293. Then you're happy too.
- 294. It makes you feel goodto hear them.
- 295. Like you're the onewho made them laugh...
- 296. who made them forgettheir troubles.
- 297. That part I like.
- 298. I might as well speak Greek!
What're you up to?
- 299. Pretend to listen, then play the clown!
- 300. Your mother's right! You're a scatterbrain!
- 301. How'd the rascal do it?
He learned by watching.
- 302. I'm telling the managernot to let you in!
- 303. And I'll see Father Adelfio!
No more altar boy! Finished!
- 304. Alfredo!
- 305. Up yours!
- 306. I got it! I wonll won the football lottery!
- 307. The Neapolitan won the lottery!
- 308. Hey, Ciccio from Napleswon the lottery!
- 309. Always the northernerswho hit it lucky.
- 310. The square is mine! All mine!
- 311. Hold still! Horseflies bothering you?
- 312. You got a lice factory up here.
- 313. Beat it.
- 314. What're you after? A smack?
- 315. Get out of here.
- 316. A merchant owns two stores.
- 317. In one, he sells fruit.
- 318. Be seated.
- 319. Professor...
- 320. the auditors taking the examfor
the grade school diploma.
- 321. Silence!
- 322. Rotten little stinker.
- 323. Toto, help me.- Silence!
- 324. I can't do this damn thing.
- 325. Toto!
- 326. O.K.
- 327. Francesco Messana...
- 328. you're under arrest.
- 329. Good riddance!
- 330. Kiss my ass! Pencil pusher!
- 331. Right here is whereit can catch fire.
- 332. If it does, cut here and here, or
the whole reel will burn. Got it?
- 333. Yes. Alfredo.
- 334. Never. We'll neverhave that here.
- 335. Which side is the gelatin on?
- 336. It tastes good.
- 337. Shipping invoice for the film.
Always keep them.
- 338. I will, Alfredo.
- 339. Don't ever forget.
- 340. This is for you.Today you
load the reels yourself.
- 341. It's so highl-Now you can run it alone.
- 342. Hold it.
- 343. What a build!- My turn!
- 344. Say good-bye to Peppino. He's
leaving for Germany.
- 345. Why don't you say good-bye?
- 346. My father says he's a communist.
- 347. God keep you, Mama.
- 348. Will he really find workin Germany?
- 349. You never know. Like playing the lottery...
- 350. you live on hope.
- 351. Screw this country!
- 352. Go work in Germany, you and your Stalin.
- 353. Good-bye, Mama.
- 354. Good-bye, Peppino! Come back soon!
- 355. We'll see you.
- 356. Good-bye!
- 357. Lucky thing Germanyis closer than Russia.
- 358. After six years, the
return of spring fashion.
- 359. Fresh and breezy...
- 360. unlike the pompous stylesof wartime.
- 361. I'll make mincemeat of you!
- 362. "You'll reckon with me!"
- 363. Another sad page...
- 364. in the tragedyof our men in Russia.
- 365. The Defense Ministry...
- 366. has released a new listof Italian dead...
- 367. until now considered missing.
- 368. The names will be postedby local military
- 369. Families concernedwill be notified.
- 370. However, we don't knowwhere he's buried.
- 371. Here's the pension form. Sign it, please.
- 372. Out! Go home! We can't have another show!
- 373. It's late. Be reasonable.
We can't show it again!
- 374. Some peoplesat through it twice!
- 375. We've been waiting for an hour!
- 376. Tomorrow we'll have another movie.
- 377. Awestern. Word of Honor! Go home to bed.
- 378. They'll wreck the Paradiso!
All hell will break loose!
- 379. Alfredo, let us in!
- 380. What can I do?
- 381. I've been waiting for3 hours!
- 382. "A mob doesn't think.
- 383. It has a mind of its own."
- 384. Spencer Tracy said that in "Fury."
- 385. Well, what do you say?
- 386. Shall we let the poor devilssee their film?
- 387. Fantastic. But how?
- 388. "If you have no faith in me,
have faith in what you see."
- 389. Now get your fanny off that stool.
- 390. Get ready.
- 391. Abracadabra...
- 392. and we pass through walls.
- 393. Go look out the window.
- 394. Alfredo, it's beautiful.
- 395. Over there! It's the movie!
- 396. Bravo, Alfredo.
- 397. Thank you, Alfredo!
- 398. What's going on?
- 399. It's a movie!
- 400. To hell with you.
- 401. There's no sound!
- 402. Shall we make them happy?
- 403. Want to go down?
- 404. Go on.
- 405. Look.- Good Lord.
- 406. And Nunzio, half price.
- 407. Have to buy tickets, folks.
- 408. Red uced rates.
- 409. Up yours! The squarebelongs to everyone!
- 410. Oh, no!
- 411. The square is mine! Don'tjoke about that!
It makes me mad!
- 412. Alfredo!
- 413. Alfredo! No! Alfredo!
- 414. Alfredo, Alfredo.Help! Help!
- 415. Alfredo, Alfredo!
- 416. Help!
- 417. Poor Alfredo. What a shame.
- 418. All burned!
- 419. It all burned down!
- 420. What do we do now?
- 421. We have no more entertainment. Nothing.
- 422. Where'II we get the moneyto rebuild?
- 423. Take a look at Ciccio. So
spiffy, you'd hardly know him.
- 424. Who has that kind of money?
- 425. The new Cinema Paradiso!
- 426. Come in, come in.
- 427. This theater is for you!
- 428. He's just a boy. What about labor laws?
- 429. I got the licensethrough connections.
- 430. Don't ask mehow their minds work.
- 431. Officially, I'm the projectionist,
but the money goes to Toto.
- 432. Stay on your toes, Toto. No sleeping.
- 433. We've had enough disasters.
- 434. Do what poor Alfredo taught
you. And God bless you.
- 435. Thank you, Father.
- 436. What is this, a funeral? Life goes on!
- 437. Get a load of that!
- 438. Our Father...
- 439. My God, they're kissing!
- 440. I won't watch pornography.
- 441. Three cheers for Ciccio!
- 442. Any room for mein this new paradise?
- 443. Alfredo!
- 444. Bring him home after you close.
- 445. I'm going, Alfredo.
- 446. It's great you came.
- 447. How're things at school?
- 448. Fine, but now that I'm working...
- 449. maybe I won't go anymore.
- 450. No. No, Toto.
- 451. Don't do that.
- 452. You'll end upwith egg on your face.
- 453. Why? What does that mean?
- 454. It means...
- 455. that this isn't your real work.
- 456. Right novvthe Paradiso needs you...
- 457. and you need the Paradiso...
- 458. but it's a stopgap.
- 459. One day you'll go on... to other things.
- 460. Things...
- 461. that are more important.
- 462. Definitely more important.
- 463. I know. Now that I've lost my sight...
- 464. I see better.
- 465. Things I never saw before.
- 466. All thanks to you, who saved my life.
- 467. I won't forget it.
- 468. And don't look like that.
- 469. I'm not senile yet. Want proof?
- 470. Yes. Well, let's see.
- 471. For example...
- 472. right now, the film's out of focus.
- 473. Go check.
- 474. You're right, it's out of focus.
- 475. How'd you know?
- 476. Too hard to explain.
- 477. What's the idea? Watch the screen. Animals,
- 478. Look, don't touch.
- 479. I told you... It doesn't catch fire.
- 480. Progress always comes too late.
- 481. Workers of the world...
- 482. She's new.
- 483. Not bad.
- 484. Approachable.
- 485. Father's the bank manager. Pride, pomp and
- 486. Jerks off with his shirt,
not to get his hand dirty.
- 487. Go, man, go!
- 488. Excuse me.- Yes?
- 489. You dropped this.
- 490. Oh, thanks.
- 491. I didn't even notice.
- 492. My name's Salvatore. What's yours?
- 493. Elena.My name's Elena.
- 494. I wanted to tell you, well, the
other day at the station...
- 495. The small projector? Your footage?
- 496. What do you see?
- 497. Slaughterhouse workerskilling a heifer.
- 498. Blood all over the floor, like a lake.
- 499. Over the lake comesanother heifer...
- 500. about to die.
- 501. Why'd you stop? What do we see?
- 502. Nothing. We don't see anything.
It's all fuzzy.
- 503. A woman.
- 504. It's a woman.
- 505. Yes, a girl I sawat the station.
- 506. What's she like?
- 507. She's very nice.
- 508. My age, slim, long hair, brown.
- 509. Big eyes, very blue, honest and direct.
- 510. A little beauty markon her lip.
- 511. Very small.You only see it up close.
- 512. When she smiles, you
feel like... I don't know.
- 513. Love.
- 514. Love.
- 515. I know how it is... The
blue-eyed ones are the worst.
- 516. No matter what you do, they'll
never be your friends.
- 517. Nothing for it.
- 518. The bigger the man, the deeper his imprint.
- 519. And if he loves, he suffers, knowing it's a
- 520. That's nice, what you just said.
- 521. Butsad.
- 522. I didn't say it. It was John Waynein
"The Shepherd of the Hills."
- 523. You old pirate.
- 524. Hello, Elena.- Hello.
- 525. Why're you running?
- 526. Because_.
- 527. I wanted to tell you...
- 528. you remember when we...
- 529. Nice day, isn't it?
- 530. Yes, really nice.
- 531. Excuse me, I have to go. Bye.
- 532. What a jerk. What a jerk!
- 533. "Nice day, isn't it?"
- 534. Of all the assholes!
- 535. I told you so.
- 536. You thought I was joking.
- 537. But take it from me, the
blue-eyed ones are the worst.
- 538. But why? There must be a wayto make her
- 539. Don't even try. With feelings,
there's nothing to understand...
- 540. and no way to explain.
- 541. Oh, you made the world!
- 542. With due respect to the Lord...
- 543. who made the world in 2, 3 days...
- 544. I'd have taken a bit longer...
- 545. but in all modesty, I
would've done it better.
- 546. Like I said... you always have an answer.
- 547. Just for you, Toto, I'll tell you a story.
- 548. Let's sit down a minute.
- 549. Misery of miseries.
- 550. Once...
- 551. a king gave a feast...
- 552. for the loveliest princessesin the realm.
- 553. Now, a soldierwho was standing guard...
- 554. saw the king's daughter go by.
- 555. She was the most beautiful of all...
- 556. and he instantly fell in love.
- 557. But what is a simple soldier...
- 558. next to the daughter of a king?
- 559. Well, at last he succeededin meeting her...
- 560. and he told her he could
no longerlive without her.
- 561. The princess was so takenby
the depth of his feeling...
- 562. that she said to the soldier...
- 563. "If you can wait..."
- 564. for 100 days and 100
nightsunder my balcony...
- 565. "at the end of it, I shall be yours."
- 566. With that, the soldier
wentand waited one day...
- 567. two days, then ten, then twenty.
- 568. Each eveningthe princess looked out...
- 569. and he never moved!
- 570. In rain, in wind, in snow,
he was always there.
- 571. Birds shat on his head, bees stung him...
- 572. but he didn't budge.
- 573. At the end...
- 574. of 90 days...
- 575. he had become...
- 576. all dry, all white.
- 577. Tears streamed from his eyes.
- 578. He couldn't hold them back.
- 579. He didn't even havethe strength to sleep.
- 580. And all that time, the
princess watched him.
- 581. At long last, it was the 99th night...
- 582. and the soldier stood up, took his chair...
- 583. and left.
- 584. What? At the end?
- 585. At the very end.
- 586. And don't ask what it means.I don't know.
- 587. If you understand it, you tell me.
- 588. Only one print?
- 589. You knowl need two.One for the Paradiso...
- 590. one for the next town.
- 591. You promised. I put up
posters, made commitments!
- 592. If you screw me, watch out!
- 593. One print for two theaters!
- 594. You'll pay for this!
- 595. I'm from Naples, and you
will see it and die!
- 596. We see the crib. The child's asleep.
- 597. "Do something!"
- 598. The lawyer told me. Now I know.
- 599. "The lawyer told me. Now I know."
- 600. And everyone must know.
Yes, everyone must know.
- 601. "Everyone must know."
- 602. You believe me?
- 603. "You believe me?"
- 604. Yes, I believe you.
- 605. "Yes, I believe you."
- 606. Our own home. How I've dreamed of it.
- 607. "Our own home."- "How
I've dreamed of it."
- 608. Tonino!
- 609. Mama.
- 610. Mama!
- 611. The End.
- 612. I don't like it. I don't like it.
- 613. I cut the end creditsto go faster.
- 614. Hurry back with part
one.I'll show a newsreel.
- 615. I'll call the police. Take him.
- 616. Just a minute. Just a minute!
- 617. Give me part two.Here's part one.
- 618. Hurry, the house is packed.
- 619. Come on, slowpoke. Get her rolling!
- 620. Bunch of animals. Quiet!
- 621. Come on, Toto, they'll explode!
- 622. It's been a half hour!
- 623. What can I do?
- 624. Where is that son of a jackass?
I'll be ruined.
- 625. Calm down, calm down.
- 626. I'll have you know, just
to see this movie...
- 627. I left my wife homesick in bed...
- 628. and I haven't seen a thing.
- 629. If it's not here in ten minutes,
give us back our money.
- 630. Me and everyone here!
- 631. Or with this, I'll wreck the place!
- 632. Calm down! Calm down and let me talk.
- 633. Tell you what. I'll show
part one another time.
- 634. Quiet, quiet!
- 635. I've seen the whole
movie.I'll tell you the plot.
- 636. Alfredo, what is it?
- 637. I can't. The Host is on the altar.
- 638. Father, I need you urgently...
- 639. because I have doubts...
- 640. terrible doubtstormenting my soul.
- 641. Your soul.
- 642. Father, I've sinned.
- 643. Do that after.- But who...
- 644. Stay there. Don't move.
- 645. Just act normal. It's Salvatore.
- 646. How'd you get here?
- 647. Alfredo, that'sa terrible thing to say.
- 648. I know.
- 649. But take the miracleof
the loaves and fishes.
- 650. What about it?
- 651. I always wonder... how is it possible?
- 652. I had to talk to you.
- 653. You're beautiful, Elena.
- 654. That's what I wanted to tell you.
- 655. When we meet, I can't say anything right...
- 656. because you give me the shivers.
- 657. I don't know what others doin these cases.
- 658. It's my first time.
- 659. But I'm in love with you.
- 660. Father, I have sinned.
- 661. I absolve you, in the name of the Father...
- 662. Son and Holy Ghost.
- 663. Go in peace.
- 664. When you laugh, you're even prettier.
- 665. Salvatore, you're very sweet,
and I like you very much...
- 666. but I don't love you.
- 667. I don't care. I'll wait.
- 668. What?
- 669. For you to fall in love with me.
- 670. Now listen.
- 671. Every night after work, I'll
come stand outside yourhouse.
- 672. And I'll wait. Every night.
- 673. When you change your
mind, open your window.
- 674. That's all.I'll understand.
- 675. You understand now?
- 676. Yes, finally, I see the light.
- 677. Next time, don't talk heresy.
- 678. You survived the theater fire,
- 679. but from the Eternal
Fire... that is, Eternal Fire...
- 680. H0 one can save you.
- 681. Fifteen seconds to the new year!
- 682. 14,13,12
- 683. 11, 10, 9, s...
- 684. Salvatore.
- 685. Oh, great. Never been driven, he said.
- 686. How'II we get home?
- 687. Stop!
- 688. Oh, God, it's my father.
- 689. Hello, Mr. Mendola.
- 690. Hello.- Hello.
- 691. Play at an open-air theater.
- 692. Standing room only!
- 693. Come on in. The showjust started.
- 694. Have your tickets ready.
- 695. Salvatore, my love.
- 696. A whole summer with my
family, far from you,
- 697. my days here go on forever.
- 698. I see your name everywherein a
book, a crossword puzzle...
- 699. a newspaper.
- 700. You're always before my eyes.
- 701. Today, alas, I have bad news.
- 702. In October we move to Palermo,
where I'll go to university.
- 703. So we won't see each otherevery day.
- 704. But don't worry, whenever I can get away...
- 705. I'll come to youat the Paradiso.
- 706. I'm blind!
- 707. By God's might, by man's running! Rise up!
- 708. When will this rotten summer end?
- 709. In a film, it'd already be over.
- 710. Fade-out: Cut to
storm. Wouldn't that be great?
- 711. Tell them I am Odyssey!
- 712. Elena... But when?
- 713. Today.
- 714. You can't imagine the excusesl
made up to come here.
- 715. I'm doing my military service in Rome.
I leave Fnday
- 716. I'll come to say good-byeat the Paradiso.
- 717. I'll arrive Thursday, by 5 p.m. Bus.
- 718. Maybe the army made a
mistake. Anyway, Rome is beautiful.
- 719. Load the reels for tomorrow,
ready for the new man.
- 720. Hey, cheer up.
- 721. I'll wait for you. Don't worry.
- 722. The job'II still be here.
- 723. I'll wait, you hear?
- 724. Don't look so gloomy.
- 725. Come on! Hup!
- 726. Radioman Di Vita, 3rd
Battalion, 9th Company, sir!
- 727. Transferred her father? No way!
And no one knows where?
- 728. Screw you if you won't tell me!
Asshole son of a bitch!
- 729. You're thinner.
- 730. Put you through it, eh?
- 731. They tell me you never go out...
- 732. and you never talk to anybody.
- 733. Why?
- 734. You know how it is.
- 735. Sooner or later the time comes...
- 736. whether you talk or don't talk...
- 737. it's the same thing.
- 738. So you might as well shut up.
- 739. It's hot here.
- 740. Take me to the sea.
- 741. At a party, a lieutenantpinches
this girl's ass.
- 742. She turns around. It's
the colonel's daughter.
- 743. Terrified, the lieutenant says...
- 744. "If your heart is as hardas what
I just felt, I'm a dead man."
- 745. You haven't seen her?
- 746. No.
- 747. And no one knows where she is.
- 748. Probably that's how it was meant to be.
- 749. We, each of us, havea star to follow.
- 750. Get out of here.
- 751. This land is cursed.
- 752. Living here day by day...
- 753. you think it'sthe center of the world.
- 754. You believe nothingwill ever change.
- 755. Then you leave... a year, two years.
- 756. When you come back, everything's changed.
- 757. The thread's broken.
- 758. What you came to find isn't there.
- 759. What was yours is gone.
- 760. You have to go awayfor a long time...
- 761. many years...
- 762. before you can come
backand find your people.
- 763. The land where you were born.
- 764. But now, no. It's not possible.
- 765. Right nowyou're blinder than I am.
- 766. Who said that? Gary Cooper? James Stewart?
- 767. No, Toto.
- 768. Nobody said it.
- 769. This time it's all me.
- 770. Life isn't like in the movies.
- 771. Life...
- 772. is much harder.
- 773. Get out of here.
- 774. Go back to Rome. You're young...
- 775. the world is yours.
- 776. And I'm old.
- 777. I don't want to hear youtalk anymore.
- 778. I want to hear talk about you.
- 779. Don't come back.
- 780. Don't think about us.
- 781. Don't look back. Don't write.
- 782. Don't give in to nostalgia. Forget us all.
- 783. If you do and you come
back, don't come see me.
- 784. I won't let you in my house. Understand?
- 785. Thank you.
- 786. For everything you've done for me.
- 787. Whatever you end up doing, love it.
- 788. The way you lovedthe projection booth...
- 789. when you were a little squirt.
- 790. He's left. Toto! Good-bye!
- 791. Got here too late, what a shame.
- 792. It's Toto. I knew it.
- 793. See how nice the house is?
- 794. We had it all redone, all thanks to you.
- 795. I have a surprise for you. Come.
- 796. Are you tired?
- 797. You have time to restbefore the funeral.
- 798. No, Mama, it's only an hour by plane.
- 799. Don't tell me thatafter all these years.
- 800. Come. I put everything in here.
All your things.
- 801. He must be glad you came, Toto.
- 802. He always talked about you. Always.
- 803. Right up to the end.
- 804. He really... He really loved you.
- 805. He left something for you.
- 806. Before you leave...
- 807. come see me.
- 808. How have you been?
- 809. When did you close it down?
- 810. Six years ago in May. Nobody came anymore.
- 811. You know better than I, Mr. Di
Vita... the economy, TV, videos.
- 812. The old movie businessis just a memory.
- 813. The city bought the sitefor a parking lot.
- 814. They're demolishing it Saturday.
It's too bad.
- 815. What's this "Mr. Di Vita"?
- 816. You used to order me around.
- 817. Now that you're a big shot, it's a little
- 818. But, if you insist, Toto.
- 819. Excuse me.
- 820. Who would've believed it... little Toto.
- 821. This is... what he left for you.
- 822. He never asked to see me?
- 823. No, never.
- 824. Once your mother said to him...
- 825. that if he wanted it, you'd surely come.
- 826. He was furious. He said, "No."
- 827. Toto must never come backto Giancaldo!"
- 828. He didn't say it to be mean.
- 829. He was a good man.
- 830. Who knows what was goingthrough his head.
- 831. Towards the end, he said strange things.
- 832. A moment beforehe closed his eyes...
- 833. he told your mothershe
mustn't let you know.
- 834. What're you thinking?
- 835. Just that I've always
beenafraid to come back.
- 836. And now, after all these years,
I thought I was stronger...
- 837. that I'd forgottena lot of things.
- 838. But in fact...
- 839. I find I'm right backwhere I was...
- 840. as if I'd never been away.
- 841. Yet when I look around, I
don't recognize anyone.
- 842. And you, Mama...
- 843. I deserted you.
- 844. Ran out on you like a bandit...
- 845. without any explanation.
- 846. I never asked for any.
- 847. You don't have to explain to me.
- 848. I always thought it was goodwhat you did.
Why harp on it?
- 849. You were right to leave.
- 850. You did what you wanted to do.
- 851. When I call you, a different
woman always answers.
- 852. But I never heardin any of their voices...
- 853. that they really loved you.
- 854. I would've known.
- 855. All the same, I'd have liked...
- 856. to see you settled...
- 857. loving someone.
- 858. But your life is there.
- 859. Here there are only ghosts.
- 860. Let go, Toto.
- 861. It's my square. It's mine.
- 862. Check the leader. Roll when you're ready.
- 863. Right. And I liked your film. Terrific.
- 864. Thanks.