- 1. Camera test.
- 2. That's it.
- 3. The world is so fucked up.
- 4. Systematic oppression.
- 5. Income inequality.
- 6. The other stuff.
- 7. And there's only one thing
that I can do about it,
- 8. while… while being paid,
and being the center of attention.
- 9. I'm bored.
- 10. Hi.
- 11. Welcome to, uh, whatever this is.
- 12. Um, I've been working
for the last couple months,
- 13. um, testing this camera,
and testing lights, and writing,
- 14. and I've decided to, uh,
try to make a new special.
- 15. For real.
- 16. Um, it's not gonna be a normal special
- 17. because there's no audience,
and there's no crew.
- 18. It's just me and my camera,
- 19. and you and your screen.
- 20. Uh, the way that… that our Lord intended.
- 21. Um…
- 22. And the whole special
will be… will be filmed in this, uh, room.
- 23. And instead of being filmed
- 24. in a single night, it will be filmed in
- 25. uh, however long it takes to finish.
- 26. I hope you, uh, enjoy it.
- 27. I… I hope this special
can maybe do for you
- 28. what it's done for me
these last couple months,
- 29. which is, uh, to distract me from wanting
- 30. to put a bullet into my head with a gun.
- 31. So…
- 32. Yeah, thank you.
- 33. And a warning.
- 34. Um, I can already sort of tell
that this special is going to be
- 35. a little all over the place,
- 36. so don't expect
incredibly smooth transiti...
- 37. Hey, kids.
- 38. Today, we're gonna learn about the world.
- 39. Hey, everyone.
Look who stopped by to say hello.
- 40. It's Socko.
- 41. Hey!
- 42. Where you been, Socko?
- 43. I've been where I always am
when you're not wearing me on your hand.
- 44. In a frightening,
liminal space between states of being.
- 45. Not quite dead, not quite alive.
- 46. It's similar to a constant state
of sleep paralysis.
- 47. Socko, we were just talking
about the world and how it works.
- 48. Boy, that sounds complicated.
- 49. Do you have anything you'd want
to teach us about the world?
- 50. I wouldn't say anything that you probably
haven't already said yourself.
- 51. I don't know about that, Socko.
- 52. How about you give it a try?
- 53. All right.
- 54. Really?
- 55. That's pretty intense.
- 56. No shit.
- 57. What can I do to help?
- 58. Read a book or something. I don't know.
- 59. Just don't burden me
with the responsibility of educating you.
- 60. It's incredibly exhausting.
- 61. I'm sorry, Socko.
- 62. I was just trying
to become a better person.
- 63. Why do you rich fucking white people
- 64. insist on seeing
every socio-political conflict
- 65. through the myopic lens
of your own self-actualization?
- 66. This isn't about you.
- 67. So either get with it,
or get out of the fucking way.
- 68. Watch your mouth, buddy.
Remember who's on whose hand here.
- 69. But that's what I...
Have you not been fucking listening?
- 70. - We are entrenched in...
- All right.
- 71. - Wait! No, please!
- I don't want to go back.
- 72. I can't go… I can't go back.
- 73. Please. Please.
- 74. I'm sorry.
- 75. Are you gonna behave yourself?
- 76. Yes.
- 77. Yes, what?
- 78. - Yes, sir.
- Look at me.
- 79. Yes, sir.
- 80. That's better.
- 81. No!
- 82. Hello, my name is Bo Burnham.
- 83. And I am a former comedian,
- 84. turned social brand consultant.
- 85. It's a very exciting time to be a,
- 86. It's also a bit of a scary time
because customers expect a lot more
- 87. from their brands
than they did in the past.
- 88. During this incredibly necessary
- 89. and overdue social reckoning
that we're having in our culture,
- 90. it is no longer acceptable for brands
to stay out of the conversation.
- 91. Consumers want to know, "Are you willing
to use your brand awareness
- 92. to effect positive social change?"
- 93. Which will create more brand awareness.
- 94. The question I ask the brands I work with
is, is, is, is, is, is, is, is, is, is…
- 95. "Are you gonna be
on the right side of history?"
- 96. The question isn't,
"What are you selling?"
- 97. Or… or "What service are you providing?"
- 98. The question is, "What do you stand for?"
- 99. Who are you, Bagel Bites?
- 100. All these big companies, they're so scared
- 101. of all this social change, and I come in
and I put their fears to rest.
- 102. You know, I tell them, "Just be honest."
- 103. "Tell your customers
that… that JPMorgan is against racism."
- 104. In theory.
- 105. The question is no longer,
- 106. "Do you want to buy Wheat Thins?"
- 107. The question is now,
- 108. "Will you support Wheat Thins
in the fight against Lyme disease?"
- 109. There's no sugarcoating it. The world is…
- 110. Fucked up.
- 111. And you've got a choice as a brand.
- 112. Hide and bury your head in the sand
and hope it fixes itself,
- 113. or you can roll up your sleeves
and get to work,
- 114. and sell Butterfingers.
- 115. Here's a question for you guys. Um…
- 116. Is it… is it necessary?
- 117. Is it necessary
that every single person on this planet
- 118. um, expresses every single opinion
that they have
- 119. on every single thing that occurs
- 120. all at the same time?
- 121. Is that… is that necessary?
- 122. Um…
- 123. Or to ask in a slightly different way,
- 124. um, can… can anyone
- 125. shut the fuck up?
- 126. Can… can anyone,
- 127. any… any…
- 128. Any one, any single one,
- 129. can any one…
- 130. …shut the fuck up about anything...
- 131. About any… any single thing?
- 132. Can any single person
- 133. shut the fuck up about any single thing
- 134. for an hour?
- 135. You know, is that… is that possible?
- 136. And I know you're thinking,
- 137. "You're not shutting
the fuck up right now,"
- 138. and that's true, but…
- 139. Hey, everybody.
- 140. Um, I thought I'd do a reaction video
to the song that you just saw me perform.
- 141. Thought that might be fun.
- 142. Um, so I got my laptop all set up.
So I'm ready to go, and let's go.
- 143. I like this song.
- 144. Um, so the idea with this song
was basically that there's so many songs
- 145. in the past about…
about working-class jobs,
- 146. but not a lot about the labor exploitation
of the modern world,
- 147. so that was the idea here.
- 148. My beard is a little shorter in this video
'cause I filmed it a couple weeks ago.
- 149. I think it holds up.
The song, not the beard.
- 150. And then you cut.
I think it's funny to cut right on...
- 151. …do a reaction video
to the song that you just saw me perform.
- 152. - Thought that might be fun.
- 153. Um, so I got my…
- 154. Because this video played after that.
- 155. Right. So, and now… Right.
- 156. Okay, so I'll just keep reacting.
- 157. So, this is me reacting to the song.
- 158. Um…
- 159. What I'm doing is I'm explaining
what the song means.
- 160. Um, and what it's about.
I'm being a little pretentious.
- 161. It's, uh… it's an instinct I have
where I need everything that I write
- 162. to have some deeper meaning or something.
- 163. But it's a stupid song,
and, uh, it doesn't really mean anything,
- 164. and, uh, it's… it's pretty unlikable
that I… that I feel this need,
- 165. this desperate need,
to be seen as intelligent.
- 166. And the video's ending here,
as you can see,
- 167. and look, I'm very confused.
See, I'm very, very confused.
- 168. 'Cause I'm staring at myself,
I don't know what I'm looking at,
- 169. and I'm starting to catch up now,
and realizing what's going on.
- 170. And, uh, yeah, now I'm deciding to react
- 171. to the reaction to the video.
- 172. So here, um, I'm reacting
to my own reacting,
- 173. and I'm criticizing my initial reaction
for… for being pretentious,
- 174. which is… which is honestly,
it's a… it's a defense mechanism.
- 175. I'm… I'm so worried
that criticism will be levied against me
- 176. that I levy it against myself
before anyone else can.
- 177. And I think that, "Oh, if I'm self-aware
about being a douchebag",
- 178. "it'll somehow make me less
of a douchebag." But it… but it doesn't.
- 179. Um, self-awareness does not absolve
anybody of anything.
- 180. Am I balding?
This is really, really disturbing.
- 181. I don't like looking at myself like this,
and I want… I want this to stop.
- 182. Okay, I want this to stop.
I'm… I'm stopping this.
- 183. So, yeah,
that was, uh, my reaction to the song,
- 184. and I hope you enjoyed it.
- 185. I don't know about you guys,
- 186. but, um, you know,
I've been thinking recently that…
- 187. That you know, maybe, um, allowing
- 188. giant digital media corporations to
- 189. exploit the neurochemical drama
- 190. of our children for profit…
- 191. You know, maybe that was, uh…
- 192. A bad call
- 193. by us.
- 194. Maybe…
- 195. Maybe the… the flattening of the entire
subjective human experience
- 196. into a… lifeless exchange of value
- 197. that benefits nobody,
- 198. except for, um, you know,
- 199. a handful of bug-eyed salamanders
in Silicon Valley…
- 200. Maybe that as a… as a way of life forever…
- 201. Maybe that's, um, not good.
- 202. I'm…
- 203. Horny.
- 204. Sexting
- 205. Hey, everybody.
- 206. Um, I just wanted to make
a really quick video to say thank you.
- 207. Thank you for watching my content.
- 208. As you guys know,
- 209. I work really hard
to try to bring you guys
- 210. high-quality content
that I think you'll enjoy.
- 211. So the fact that you are enjoying it,
means everything to me.
- 212. So thank you, and also keep watching,
- 213. 'cause there's a lot more content
where that came from.
- 214. All right, guys, see you later.
- 215. I took a big fucking breath.
- 216. One more.
- 217. Or not burn it. Is burning it bad?
What should I do with it?
- 218. Sh...
- 219. So, um…
- 220. I've been working on this special now
for six months.
- 221. And… the whole time
I've had a… a goal in mind,
- 222. which is I wanted to finish this thing
- 223. before I turned 30.
- 224. Um, because the idea of… of turning 30,
- 225. while still in this fucking room,
- 226. working on this thing alone,
- 227. um, that just seemed…
- 228. I just… I just wanted to avoid that.
- 229. So…
- 230. And you might be thinking, "Well,
that's fine. You know, look at you."
- 231. "You radiate such youth."
- 232. "You must not be turning 30 for years."
- 233. And that's very, uh, nice of you to say.
- 234. But the truth is
- 235. um, I turn 30
- 236. in less than a minute.
- 237. So I'm just gonna sit here and enjoy
- 238. uh, my twenties,
- 239. and then get back to work.
- 240. Yay.
- 241. Ah.
- 242. Yeah, I was born in 1990.
- 243. God… God damn it.
- 244. Oh fuck.
- 245. Oh yeah? Well, your fucking phones
are poisoning your minds. Okay?
- 246. So when you develop
a dissociative mental disorder
- 247. in your late twenties,
don't come crawling back to me.
- 248. Okay.
- 249. Check that one.
- 250. We'll do one more.
- 251. I just wanna say for the record, um,
that I do not want to kill myself, okay?
- 252. I don't wanna kill myself,
and I'm not going to kill myself.
- 253. Um, and if you're out there and you're
struggling with suicidal thoughts
- 254. and you want to kill yourself,
- 255. I just want to tell you don't.
- 256. Okay? Can you not, please?
- 257. Just don't. All right?
- 258. Fucking quit it with the...
- 259. But really, don't kill yourself.
You don't want to, because…
- 260. There are people that love you…
- 261. That's not true necessarily,
- 262. but there could be people
that love you in the future,
- 263. and just don't.
- 264. I've had people close to me
- 265. and I'll be honest with you,
didn't love it.
- 266. Didn't love that.
- 267. So just don't.
- 268. But if I could kill myself for a year…
- 269. If I can... I'd do it today.
- 270. If I could kill myself today and be dead
- 271. until like 18 months from now,
- 272. um, I would do it, but alas…
- 273. …when you kill yourself,
you're dead forever,
- 274. and we shouldn't be dead forever yet.
- 275. So let's not. Right?
- 276. Come on, guys.
- 277. What's up, boys. Welcome to the stream.
- 278. Um, I'm gonna be doing
some live play today
- 279. for the first time in a while.
- 280. Uh, you guys have been wanting that,
so we're gonna do...
- 281. This is the title, Inside.
- 282. I've got a lot of requests
for this game in chat.
- 283. It's some indie developer.
I'm not really sure.
- 284. I'm going in totally cold on this.
- 285. Um, JB, thank you for the three months.
My dude, much appreciated.
- 286. Um… Okay.
- 287. That looks pretty good, graphics-wise.
I mean, I know it's a cinematic, but…
- 288. So we're gonna be trying
to do live plays every day this week,
- 289. so tune in for that.
- 290. I would be gifting 30 subs
at the end of the week.
- 291. Um, day 50, 250… All right,
so this dude's been in here for a while.
- 292. So is this like an escape the room?
- 293. Or…
- 294. Okay.
- 295. So I can cry.
- 296. So he's… he's not happy
about being in this room.
- 297. I like the music.
The music is actually nice on this.
- 298. Controls are actually pretty smooth.
So you're in this like 2D set up, right?
- 299. Like, I can't control the camera.
- 300. Um…
- 301. I'll give it... I guess I'll cry again.
- 302. He's...
- 303. So is the dude big, or is the room small?
- 304. That's what I'm confused about.
- 305. Chat's saying, try the door.
Yeah, well, okay.
- 306. I mean, I don't think
it's gonna be that simple, but I will.
- 307. Yeah, there ya go.
- 308. Um, okay,
Well, I think he'll probably cry again.
- 309. It's tough, dude.
- 310. It's tough. He's been in here a while.
- 311. Um, see, I don't like that.
- 312. I don't know why they feel the need
to give the hint so quick.
- 313. I just wish they'd let me…
let me explore a little bit.
- 314. Wha… I'm holding the flashlight
like a… like a cop.
- 315. Why is he doing that?
- 316. Ah.
- 317. All right. Okay. So…
- 318. All right.
- 319. Okay, he seems a little happier now.
- 320. I don't know.
- 321. I'll cry, I guess, again.
- 322. Okay, I'm not sure
what I'm supposed to be do...
- 323. Oh! Nice.
- 324. Okay, yeah.
- 325. Yeah, great. Um…
- 326. All right, I'm into this.
- 327. Yeah, it's giving me
sort of like Death Stranding vibes,
- 328. you know,
'cause it's, like, it's fucking boring,
- 329. but that's, like, the point, I think.
- 330. Dante, thank you for the four months.
- 331. How we feeling out there tonight?
- 332. Yeah.
- 333. I am not feeling good.
- 334. So, um, my…
- 335. Uh, my current mental health is… is…
- 336. Rapidly approaching, um, an ATL,
- 337. which is, um, that's an "all-time low,"
- 338. not… not Atlanta.
- 339. And…
- 340. You know, I feel okay when I'm asleep.
Like when I'm asleep, I feel all right,
- 341. but it's basically
from the moment I wake up,
- 342. I, uh, I just get this...
- 343. Yeah, so, um…
- 344. Yeah. Not…
- 345. Not doing great.
- 346. You know,
- 347. it wasn't always like this.
- 348. Oh.
- 349. I've been freaking out for a long time,
- 350. thinking I'm never gonna finish
this special and be working on it forever.
- 351. And recently, I've been feeling like,
- 352. "Oh, man, maybe I am
getting close to done with this."
- 353. "Maybe I'm gonna finish it after all."
And that has made me completely freak out
- 354. because if I finish this special,
- 355. that means that I have to,
um, not work on it anymore.
- 356. And that means
I have to just live my life,
- 357. and so I'm not gonna do that,
and I'm gonna not finish the special.
- 358. I'm gonna work on it forever, I think.
- 359. So, yeah, I'm gonna work on this forever,
- 360. and I'm never gonna release it.
I'm not talking to anybody now.
- 361. I'm just talking to myself.
- 362. So, yeah, who fucking cares?
- 363. Fuck you, and goodbye,
and let's keep going.
- 364. Man, you guys are a great crowd.
- 365. Give it up for yourselves for coming out,
by the way, tonight. Give it up.
- 366. Supporting live comedy
in these weird times.
- 367. Um, it's crazy. Um…
- 368. These are some pretty crazy times,
but it's nice during these crazy times
- 369. that we can get together. We can laugh.
- 370. You know? Um…
- 371. I've learned something
over this last year,
- 372. which is pretty funny.
- 373. Um, I've learned that
- 374. real-world human-to-human
tactile contact will kill you,
- 375. and that all human interaction,
- 376. whether it be social, political,
spiritual, sexual, or interpersonal
- 377. should be contained
in the much more safe, much more real
- 378. interior digital space.
- 379. That the outside world,
- 380. the non-digital world,
- 381. is merely a theatrical space
in which one stages and records content
- 382. for the much more real,
much more vital digital space.
- 383. One should only engage
with the outside world
- 384. as one engages with a coal mine.
- 385. Suit up, gather what is needed,
and return to the surface.
- 386. Um…
- 387. And is it just me, or do pirates need
to take a little bit better care
- 388. of their fuckin' maps?
- 389. You know, when I find a pirate's map,
- 390. it's… it's always tea-stained,
and the edges are burnt,
- 391. and it's like if you're a pirate,
all right, and you're gonna
- 392. make this map and expect me
to carry it around the globe
- 393. as I search for your treasure,
- 394. then laminate it.
- 395. I can't really, uh,
play the guitar very well,
- 396. um, or sing, so…
- 397. You know, apologies.
- 398. So, I...
- 399. Jesus.
- 400. So I've been working
on this, uh, special for…
- 401. A year now.
- 402. It...
- 403. Fucking…
- 404. So I've been working on this special
for, um, a year now,
- 405. which is, um, a lot longer
- 406. than I anticipated working on it.
- 407. When I started…
- 408. So I've been working on...
- 409. I fucking…
- 410. I can't. I fucking…
- 411. Fucking…
- 412. I am…
- 413. Not…
- 414. Um, well.
- 415. Thank you, guys. Thank you very much.
- 416. Thank you.
- 417. You guys have been incredible. Thank you.
- 418. I couldn't have done this
without you guys.
- 419. I couldn't, really. I…
- 420. This last year has been…
- 421. You know, there have been times
- 422. But just knowing you're here,
- 423. you know, feeling you here with me.
- 424. Um…
- 425. Yeah, thank you.
- 426. You know, I hate to ask because, uh,
- 427. you've given me so much.
- 428. But…
- 429. I need you to do one more thing for me.
- 430. Can you do that?
- 431. You want to hear a funny story?
- 432. So, uh,
- 433. five years ago, I quit
- 434. performing live comedy,
- 435. because I was beginning to have, uh,
severe panic attacks while on stage,
- 436. which is not a great place to have them.
- 437. So, I… I quit.
- 438. And I didn't perform for five years,
and I spent that time…
- 439. Trying to improve myself mentally.
- 440. And you know what?
- 441. I did!
- 442. I got better.
- 443. I got so much better, in fact,
- 444. that in January of
- 445. 2020,
- 446. I thought, "You know what, I should…"
- 447. "Start performing again."
- 448. "I've been hiding from the world,
- 449. and I need to…
- 450. "Reenter."
- 451. And then…
- 452. The funniest thing happened.
- 453. Get up. Get up.
- 454. I'm talking to you, get the fuck up!
- 455. Hi.
- 456. Welcome to, uh, whatever this is, um…
- 457. I think...
- 458. I think I'm… I'm done.
- 459. Um, possible… uh, ending song
- 460. that is not finished yet.
- 461. Test.
- 462. Take one.
- 463. ⇒ Sub By SRJ