- 1. "We are the master race.
Slaves must work for us.
- 2. "When no longer needed, they can die.
They need no medical attention.
- 3. "Let them use contraceptive methods
and abort as often as possible.
- 4. "Education is dangerous. An educated
person is a potential enemy.
- 5. "Let them practise their religion
only as a diversion.
- 6. "They should receive only enough
food to keep them alive".
- 7. Speech to the California Institute of
Technology by scientist James Donner.
- 8. "The develope world does not identify
with the hungry of India or Brazil.
- 9. "We see them as a different species,
and, in fact, they are.
- 10. "In the next 100 years, we will find
appropriate ways of dealing ith them.
- 11. "They are simply animals.
They constitute a malignant disease.
- 12. "The rich and strong
nations will devour the poor and weak".
- 13. Just watch me now...
- 14. I'm not afraid... not afraid of them.
- 15. They'll be punished!
- 16. My son has died and my daughter.
- 17. lgnacio, it's late. Go to sleep.
- 18. My three children are dead.
My little Pascual...
- 19. Now I'm alone...
- 20. Paulina, you bring bad luck.
- 21. Our children have all died.
- 22. I'm not unlucky.
- 23. I told you not to go there,
not to trust them.
- 24. Now I'll die alone.
- 25. Don't talk like that...
go to sleep.
- 26. Why did you listen to them?
- 27. Leave me alone. Stop it.
- 28. Just look at you, you drunkard...
- 29. With the participation of the
peasants of Kaata.
- 30. Script and montage by
- 31. Produced by
- 32. Directed by Jorge Sanjinés.
- 33. Paulina, why be angry with me?
- 34. We can go and bury the little dolls
up on our mountain.
- 35. Don't be angry with me.
- 36. Come on, let's go.
- 37. Good morning... good morning.
- 38. We went to look for you, my lord.
- 39. Perhaps the Superintendent
knows about it.
- 40. He's got a strange look in his eyes.
- 41. Let's have a meeting
and discuss what to do.
- 42. You're the head of the community.
Can't you go?
- 43. I'll go down to the town
and talk to them.
- 44. Then we'll find out.
- 45. Run. Go on, escape!
- 46. Don't run! They'll kill you!
- 47. They've killed him.
- 48. I'm sorry, my friend.
I didn't mean to.
- 49. Stupid indian!
- 50. Indian? What do you know about me?
- 51. I'm not an indian, damn it!
- 52. Ignacio, how are you, brother?
- 53. Not very well.
- 54. What happened?
- 55. What've they done to him, Paulina?
- 56. Bring him inside.
- 57. Careful, brother.
- 58. How long has he been like this?
- 59. Yesterday afternoon...
- 60. coming back from the fields.
- 61. Paulina, we must take him to hospital.
- 62. But we haven't any money.
- 63. Who did this? Where?
- 64. The Police shot him, Sixto.
- 65. They always bring them too late.
- 66. We'll have to operate.
- 67. - Are there any relatives?
- Yes, doctor. They're outside.
- 68. Bring them in.
- 69. The doctor would like to see you.
- 70. - Are you related to the patient?
- He's my brother, doctor.
- 71. - Is she his wife?
- Yes, doctor.
- 72. His condition is very serious.
Why leave it so late?
- 73. They've come a very long way.
A day's journey.
- 74. We need blood before we can operate.
- 75. You can give it yourselves.
- 76. And we have to pay for this medicine?
- 77. It s not compatible.
- 78. The patient's blood is not compatible
either with his wife or with you.
- 79. You must find a donor.
- 80. or else buy the blood.
- 81. We should have made an offering
to the earth first.
- 82. There are no soothsayers here.
- 83. They've forgotten the gods in the city.
- 84. What shall we do now, Sixto?
- 85. The blood costs 350 pesos.
- 86. And I only earn 200 a month.
- 87. We could sell these silver ornaments.
- 88. We need much more than we'd
get for them.
- 89. Tell me what happened to him.
- 90. I'm his brother, I should know.
- 91. Well, I'll tell you.
- 92. We had three children
and were very happy.
- 93. Ignacio worked hard.
- 94. We were loved and respected.
- 95. The children were healthy.
- 96. They helped tend the sheep.
- 97. Then the epidemic came
and all three died.
- 98. That was when Ignacio was elected
leader of the community.
- 99. Who could have imagined such a
tragedy as hanging over us?
- 100. There was a big feast.
- 101. Paulina, this leaf is you.
- 102. Let's see what's in store for you.
- 103. - It's all right.
- Is it? That's good.
- 104. You lead a good life, Paulina.
- 105. Now let the leaves tell us...
- 106. if more children will come.
- 107. Mother Coca...
- 108. tell us about the children.
- 109. This leaf is Paulina.
- 110. This is for children.
- 111. Something's blocked inside her.
- 112. It stops children.
- 113. Take a seat, Grandfather.
- 114. Good day, Grandfather, how are you?
- 115. Your child honours you.
- 116. Please chew this coca with me.
- 117. Please accept this coca.
- 118. May the gods bless this house.
- 119. We are upset by what
the soothsayer told us.
- 120. How is it possible for a young woman
to have no more children?
- 121. Is something wrong with Paulina?
- 122. Now we have to decide what should be done.
- 123. Perhaps some enemy
has put a spell on Paulina.
- 124. We have no enemies.
- 125. I think they should go and make
an offering to the gods.
- 126. They must go up to the shrine...
- 127. and Paulina must offer food
to the mountain.
- 128. I don't think it's that at all.
- 129. I think the evil was brought to our
community by the gringos.
- 130. Gringos bring disaster!
- 131. - Please, come here.
- 132. Can you sell us some eggs?
- 133. Thank you.
- 134. - Sell us all of them.
- I can't sell them all.
- 135. Why not sell all of them?
- 136. We'll give you a good price...
- 137. No, it's not a question of price.
- 138. We'll pay you well.
- 139. You are Paulina.
- 140. - Paulina Yanahuaya?
- 141. You know who we are, don't you?
- 142. Why won't you sell us the eggs?
- 143. We need them for our centre.
Please sell them to us, Paulina.
- 144. I can't sell them, Sir.
- 145. I'm taking them to market.
Other people need them too.
- 146. If you sell them to us now,
you don't have to go to market.
- 147. How are you, Sixto?
- 148. Just a minute, compadre.
- 149. I'm in a hurry, comadre.
- 150. How've you been? We haven't seen you
for ages! Anything wrong?
- 151. Yes, something terrible has happened.
- 152. - Table Six want a different meal...
- Why didn't they order properly?
- 153. One moment, compadre.
- 154. - No... I'm not eating...
- Madam told me to...
- 155. Aren't you hungry? Go on, eat it up.
- 156. You were saying... a calamity?
- 157. My brother arrived from our village.
He's very badly wounded.
- 158. The ice has arrived. See to it.
- 159. There's no doctor up there...
- 160. We've taken him to the hospital...
- 161. but lnacio is very badly wounded.
- 162. Paulina brought him all this way
and now they have to operate.
- 163. We need money to buy blood.
- 164. Ah, money... always money.
Where am I goin to get money from?
- 165. I have to pay for the ice, the meat...
- 166. if you'd asked me a week ago...
- 167. The people from Muyupampa also
lost many children in the epidemic.
- 168. What kind of sickness is it
that takes away our little ones?
- 169. How long is it since your
niece had a child?
- 170. A year and a half ago.
- 171. She wants another one.
- 172. Where did she have her last child?
- 173. In the maternity centre
run by the foreigners.
- 174. These gringo gentlemen have come
to help your communit.
- 175. So please co-operate with them
and listen to them.
- 176. I'm asking you as the government
representative in this community.
- 177. Our centre has been going
for a year and a half...
- 178. They want you and your wives to
go to the centre for treatment.
- 179. We of the Peace Corps have come...
- 180. through many sacrifices of our own...
- 181. so that you can develop.
- 182. Now, we have some clothes here.
- 183. Presents for the children of
- 184. These clothes have been given...
- 185. by the children of the foreigners...
- 186. who live in La Paz.
- 187. We brought them so that
- 188. can have clothes like these too.
- 189. Get up, all of you.
- 190. Come on, into a line.
- 191. Hurry up, hurry up.
- 192. They're second-hand
but they look new.
- 193. Come now, move along.
- 194. - Well, my friend... happy?
- Yes, happy.
- 195. Pachamama, earth mother...
- 196. May this sacred cup and
our song to fertility...
- 197. help us overcome this evil.
- 198. Oh, mountain gods, please make
lgnacio's wife and all our women...
- 199. able to bear children again.
- 200. Pachamama, mountain gods...
- 201. Help our race live on.
- 202. Hey, Jean, Come!
- 203. What do you want?
- 204. Look! They returned the clothes!
- 205. Shit!
- 206. Just the injection, doctor...
- 207. Here you are, doctor.
- 208. - Haven't they brought the medicine yet?
- Not yet, doctor.
- 209. If we don't operate...
- 210. She doesn't speak Spanish, doctor.
- 211. Does anyone here speak Quechua?
- 212. Yes, doctor. This little boy
is from Cataví. He speaks Quechua.
- 213. Liittle boy, ask her when her
brother-in-law is bringing the medicine.
- 214. If he doesn't get them soon...
- 215. her husband will die.
- 216. We need the blood urgently.
She must ask him to hurry.
- 217. - Have you got them?
- No, doctor.
- 218. I tried everything.
But I could only raise 20 pesos.
- 219. 20 pesos? But we can't do
anything with 20 pesos.
- 220. What can we do, doctor? Help us.
- 221. Please help us.
- 222. What can we do?
- 223. Perhaps we can get something...
- 224. I'll give you a card for Dr. Millán.
- 225. I'll phone him. Perhaps we'll get
some blood from his clinic.
- 226. You'll have to hurry...
- 227. Hurry up!
- 228. Ignacio, have you lost your tongue
- 229. Even the llamas say "baa"
as they go past.
- 230. What do you want me for, Sir?
- 231. Have you been to the maternity centre?
- 232. I'm on my way back from there.
- 233. It's about time, you got to know it.
- 234. The gringos say that
you're not helping them at all...
- 235. I want nothing to do with them.
- 236. I must go now, Sir.
- 237. Goodbye, lgnacio.
- 238. Where can we find Ignacio,
the village leader?
- 239. What's he doing up there?
- 240. He's filling himself with light.
- 241. Señora, there's a man
waiting to see the doctor.
- 242. You know he's not in.
- 243. He wants to speak to you.
- 244. Well, tell him to wait then.
- 245. The Señora says you've to wait...
- 246. My husband is out at a lunch.
- 247. It's urgent, Señora. Dr. Moreno needs
blood for my brother.
- 248. He's given me a note.
- 249. Ah yes, Dr. Moreno did call.
- 250. But my husband didn't leave me
- 251. Where can I find him, Señora?
I need blood for my brother.
- 252. Well, I'll take you,
but you'll have to wait.
- 253. Go round and get in the back, please.
- 254. I shouldn't have brought you really...
- 255. Don't come in. Wait in the car.
- 256. May the demons and evil spirits,
which are afflicting us, disappear.
- 257. May our troubles fade away
like this smoke.
- 258. May our offering be pleasing
to the mountain gods.
- 259. Martina Sapaza died this afternoon...
- 260. in the gringos' maternity centre.
- 261. Something very evil is
happening in that centre.
- 262. The people in Muyu told us that
their women can no longer conceive.
- 263. The same evil afflicts all the
communities round here.
- 264. We will do whatever
the coca leaves tell us.
- 265. Mother Coca, explain to us
what is happening.
- 266. You never deceive us.
- 267. Now, let's see...
- 268. The leaves of the women and
children are always turned over.
- 269. And the leaves of the gringos...
- 270. are always next to death.
- 271. The leaves say clearly...
- 272. The gringos are sowing death...
- 273. in the bellies of our women.
- 274. We know what you're doing here.
- 275. Hey, why are you doing this to us?
- 276. You are sowing death in the
bellies of our women.
- 277. They seem to know everything!
- 278. Silence, gringo!
I will speak first.
- 279. You bring evil upon us.
- 280. No, no. You don't understand.
Let me explain.
- 281. Tell them! We only sterilized
women with too many children!
- 282. It's because of you that our
women don't have children.
- 283. We will do to you
what you do to us.
- 284. You can't do that...
- 285. My work is scientific...
- 286. My embassy will punish you.
- 287. Minister of Health...
- 288. Chairman of the
Technical Assistance Board...
- 289. Ladies and Gentlemen.
- 290. I take great pleasure in
offering this banquet...
- 291. in honour of the four
illustrious health experts...
- 292. who have come to our
country to assist us.
- 293. Doctors... Donald Pinkus...
- 294. Robert Jones... and
- 295. Our country needs international
co-operation and finance.
- 296. Fortunately, we receive the kind of
generous and construtive help...
- 297. which plans our development
and contributes to it.
- 298. Clearly we have not kept
pace with progress.
- 299. We must understand the reasons
for this and not feel inferior...
- 300. - Let me in. I must see someone.
- No, you can't.
- 301. - You can't go in there!
- Let me go.
- 302. These paladins of science...
- 303. whose only concern is
to transmit knowledge...
- 304. show us that we must replace...
- 305. our feathered medicine men...
- 306. with men of science.
- 307. In our country...
- 308. we also have those kind of men.
- 309. - What do you want, boy?
- I want to speak to Dr. Millán.
- 310. Can't you see he's busy?
- 311. What does that man want?
- 312. He's the one Dr. Rivas phoned about.
- 313. It'll soon be too late.
- 314. - Wait till I'm finished.
- I can't wait any longer, doctor.
- 315. Excuse me...
- 316. As we march along the long
and glorious road...
- 317. which leads the Free World