- 1. "Even if you lead me,
this land is unknown."
- 2. "The devil is probably leading,
going round and round in circles"
- 3. Pushkin
- 4. it lasts a long, long time...
sticking to a lie
- 5. because it gives you a hold.
- 6. The unadmitted truth is that
you can't face up to the fact
- 7. that it's all over.
- 8. I always lied to myself that
it wasn't all over.
- 9. That's there's something still to come.
Not now, but soon, later.
- 10. Interestingly enough, when I saw
that there was no continuation,
- 11. I got cold feet and said,
"it can't be like this",
- 12. or something like that.
- 13. I said, "I think
it's instinct or something".
- 14. It won't work out.
I'll start to build from within, as if...
- 15. it's frightening how much the body
can take and so...
- 16. Bodies recognise each other,
souls have gone. It's over.
- 17. How much has happened
when it has to end.
- 18. Yet it still works.
- 19. Well, it needs.
Routine things come back to...
- 20. How long you can...
- 21. But what can you do but dream?
- 22. - That.
- 23. And in your imagination,
in the end, what will happen...
- 24. What will happen...
The doorbell rings!
- 25. So what happens,
if I open the door?
- 26. I realised, I can't handle it
because there must be a distance.
- 27. That's how I handle it.
- 28. That might be too much.
- 29. I've dreamt, so many times
- 30. about one more encounter.
- 31. What would it be like
after 14 years?
- 32. But then, I can't bear to see her hair,
- 33. that had once been black,
- 34. I don't want to see realities.
Then, no future.
- 35. Is there really no one
you think can do it?
- 36. Can't anyone manage it?
- 37. No.
- 38. - Are you sure?
- 39. I always thought that
I was the only one that this happened to.
- 40. I've always lived
in someone else's flat.
- 41. I've always lived
in someone else's flat.
- 42. I've never had any connection
to things or furniture.
- 43. It's always been someone else's
and, therefore, easy to leave behind.
- 44. But I've got used to that,
I wouldn't know
- 45. what it's like
to own something.
- 46. I don't even know
if I'd love you, then.
- 47. Now I think I do love you.
- 48. It's also possible that I don't.
So that's what I think of you.
- 49. You know...
- 50. Even if you weren't going
back to the room,
- 51. it's still good to have.
- 52. But if you ask a friend,
- 53. or you have to meet some place,
would you come with me?
- 54. Would you still be here with me?
- 55. If I don't see you for two days,
would you come on the third?
- 56. Now I have this obsession
- 57. with giving it a try,
to see what it's like,
- 58. having a solid...
you know, a base.
- 59. Something that's mine,
that no one can turf me out of.
- 60. Where they can't turf me out
because it's all mine.
- 61. Maybe I'd be a different person.
- 62. Perhaps I'd brush my hair
just for myself.
- 63. Perhaps I'd feel good.
- 64. Perhaps it'd be good
to get up in the morning.
- 65. Perhaps it wouldn't annoy me when
the alarm goes off at six in the morning,
- 66. because I'd be making coffee
in my own kitchen.
- 67. And perhaps I'd be glad to see you
come home at six in the evening.
- 68. Or perhaps not, and I'd say,
"Now, why did you come here?"
- 69. "Today I'm waiting for..."
- 70. "... somebody."
- 71. So, the way you talk,
and I'm not teasing
- 72. is all the same.
Everything you say
- 73. tells me that I don't need a flat,
don't need anything else.
- 74. Somehow, in spite of the will.
- 75. - You don't need anything?
- No, nothing.
- 76. - So what do you need?
- 77. Not even me?
- 78. I need you.
- 79. I am your mother,
- 80. who has worked long and hard
to give you the opportunity to...
- 81. And who's spent her life whoring about.
- 82. - Doing what?
- You heard me
- 83. Doing what? I can't be hearing right.
- 84. - Just shut up and get out.
- I won't.
- 85. We've been thieving...
- 86. - Don't you touch me!
- Hit me and I'll kill you!
- 87. - Me?
- 88. - That I'd like to see!
- You will.
- 89. You will.
- 90. - I've had enough of your hysteria.
- Hysteria? I'm saying...
- 91. Hysteria!
- 92. To tell some swine of a man
that he's not living off me!
- 93. And if I have to ask you,
my son, for money,
- 94. because I'm getting old
and am unable to earn anymore.
- 95. You have enough.
- 96. What are you going to do with it?
- 97. What are you going to spend it on?
Booze, sluts, good-for-nothing friends.
- 98. That's what you think.
- 99. Listen, I don't give a shit
that there's not enough.
- 100. - Take your hands off me!
- Listen to what I'm saying.
- 101. I've more right to this flat
than you have.
- 102. Besides, you'll soon be six feet under
and then it'll be mine.
- 103. You can do what you like then,
but for now, what I say goes.
- 104. - He's moving in.
- He is not moving in.
- 105. - It's just for a week.
- No, not for a week. Not even for a day.
- 106. - I don't want to discuss it.
- Neither do I, I'm sorry.
- 107. You won't get your way here.
- 108. If you'd ever done anything,
then you'd have the right...
- 109. Show me one thing in here
that you bought.
- 110. That you've given to me.
In all of your 30 years. One thing.
- 111. What have you given me?
Rubbish and filth. And shame.
- 112. - And what have you done?
- I won't be wasting away, that's for sure.
- 113. I still have feelings, ambitions,
and ideas, if you must know.
- 114. - What ambitions?
- I'm still working!
- 115. - To maintain this place!
- You're a dried-up old hag!
- 116. Say what you like.
I won't let you get to me.
- 117. I won't rot away the way
you want me to.
- 118. How long do you want to stay?
- 119. For as long as I live, love.
- 120. - It can't come fast enough.
- What, my death?
- 121. - Yes.
- 122. - So, you want your mother dead...
- Don't try that again!
- 123. I've had enough of you.
I'm going to kill you.
- 124. You lay another finger on me
and I'll kill you.
- 125. Have you got that?
- 126. Agreed. All right?
- 127. You'd kill me?
- 128. Kill me!
- 129. - Is this good for you?
- 130. Well, then?
- 131. And you let her?
- 132. - Always complaining.
- 133. Always complaining.
- 134. Who? Your mother?
- 135. It's true. She does always complain.
- 136. She has money, though.
You know that.
- 137. I know.
- 138. She could easily have given you some.
- 139. You don't know her.
- 140. I know her a bit better than you.
- 141. Forgive me for saying this,
- 142. but as long as she's alive,
you won't leave here.
- 143. And you won't be able
to start a new life.
- 144. You're so easily taken in.
- 145. All she has to do is turn on the tears
and you fall for it.
- 146. Don't take her seriously.
- 147. Not when she starts to blub.
- 148. She's never happier
than when you're desperate
- 149. and begging her forgiveness,
on bended knee.
- 150. When you confess to her and feel guilty
for being a bad boy.
- 151. She does that to all of us.
- 152. All the same,
you're her son.
- 153. Aren't you a good little nurse!
- 154. - I'm not a nurse now.
- I know that.
- 155. I'm sorry you don't believe me.
- 156. - Look, I've never hurt you, have I?
- What makes you say that?
- 157. Because I feel sorry for you.
- 158. Because I thought that...
- 159. it's all the same to me.
- 160. But you could start afresh
and now is the right time.
- 161. At his age, a man
- 162. ought to be looking out for his mother,
- 163. not coming here begging for money.
- 164. And then there's the way he talks to me.
- 165. Even a stranger would find it hard to take.
- 166. It's just not good enough
- 167. that you're ill for days,
after his visits.
- 168. When the two of us are together,
- 169. everything is nice and calm.
- 170. And that's what you need.
- 171. It's not right, the way he treats you.
- 172. And you should be glad
you were able to say no.
- 173. It's for his own good.
It's better this way.
- 174. He'll realise that,
if he ever comes to his senses.
- 175. Have you seen what
this maggot has done to you?
- 176. I worry about you. I'm afraid
that it will be the death of you.
- 177. Now he's smuggled
this teacher in here
- 178. and you don't even know
who he is. Ridiculous, isn't it?
- 179. Can you hold it?
- 180. It'll be better soon.
- 181. They grow and grow,
and before you know it, they're 30,
- 182. They grow and grow,
and before you know it, they're 30,
- 183. and yet they still behave
like little children,
- 184. as if they had
no responsibility to anyone.
- 185. It's true, too.
- 186. It was hard for us,
getting through the fights,
- 187. surviving, making a life for ourselves,
- 188. making progress.
- 189. Getting letters from abroad,
- 190. losing touch, ending up alone.
- 191. But
- 192. where you can turn to
- 193. It's a battle.
- 194. And you must fight, alone,
to the bitter end.
- 195. I can't shout,
"What have you done to me?"
- 196. And look
- 197. at the outcome!
- 198. And
- 199. that's why you get so tired.
- 200. Because that's
- 201. the narrow path.
- 202. And you say that'll only lead to ruin.
- 203. But it'll be shorter.
- 204. And will it always be harder?
- 205. How can that be?
- 206. We are a generation
that cannot relax.
- 207. But why?
- 208. Why do they think that they can
keep burdening us like that?
- 209. The reliable generation.
- 210. We can stand up straight!
- 211. There's no answer, is there?
- 212. Well, all I can say to that is
- 213. if you're able to speak so clearly
and openly about your problems,
- 214. about what you feel and think,
- 215. then you, yourself,
are really very strong!
- 216. A weak person couldn't say
the things you've said.
- 217. Look, I know I'm strong.
- 218. But you see, it doesn't
always work. In some cases...
- 219. I don't mind that it all came out.
- 220. Sometimes, you need to cry.
- 221. They say it's good for you.
Steadies the nerves.
- 222. I once read, somewhere,
- 223. that life would be that much easier
if we just had a little weep every day.
- 224. You should talk to him,
for your own sake.
- 225. That guy's up to something.
- 226. Crazy or not,
no matter how old she is, Hédi is still...
- 227. a woman!
- 228. So, should I ask him
what he's playing at, or what?
- 229. No. Have a talk with Hédi
and then with Tibor too.
- 230. I could be wrong.
- 231. Everyone lies to me here.
- 232. I've been here too long.
- 233. Trust me, they have
a lot to say about me.
- 234. And after all
- 235. you are...
- 236. A man.
- 237. Exactly.
- 238. Yes.
- 239. Anyone who listens to Hédi
for three-quarters of an hour
- 240. has good reason to lose it.
- 241. - Aren't you listening to me?
- I said I'd talk to him, really.
- 242. - To who?
- That's my opinion.
- 243. - To who?
- To that guy.
- 244. Tibor. That's his name.
- 245. - You don't even know his name.
- I do. Tibor.
- 246. - Don't you care who's here?
- Be serious!
- 247. Hang out with him,
here in the flat, too.
- 248. Don't just stay in one room.
Make it your home.
- 249. Try to be present, and get to know
the people you're living with.
- 250. So much depends on them!
- 251. All right!
- 252. Close your eye.
You've got something in it.
- 253. But...
- 254. I got it and I'm very grateful,
but when you gave it...
- 255. But...
- 256. When I asked for it, I was certain
- 257. that I'd be able to give it back
in a short space of time.
- 258. Unfortunately, however,
I'm not now able to do that.
- 259. So, you shouldn't make accusations.
I'm not that type.
- 260. I'm going to give you
your money back, believe me.
- 261. I'll do everything I can to give it back.
- 262. What can I say?
I'll put my all into it.
- 263. I can't give you
any guarantee because...
- 264. Well, it just so happens that...
- 265. What came up was that my life
could turn out to be very different.
- 266. So believe me,
I will give it back.
- 267. For God's sake,
I don't know what to say.
- 268. I don't have the money to pay you back,
right now, but I will.
- 269. You see, when I asked for a loan,
I really did believe
- 270. that my situation would soon be
- 271. I believed, I believed...
Don't be upset.
- 272. So when I asked for a loan,
I thought I'd be able to cover it.
- 273. In theory, I couldn't.
- 274. In practice, I felt I could.
- 275. I'll give it back, believe me
I don't know what...
- 276. What to do.
- 277. Don't do that!
Please, don't do that!
- 278. You'll put me in an awkward position.
- 279. I'll give the money back.
- 280. Trust me.
Just give me a deadline.
- 281. I just thought that with you
not having been here that long...
- 282. Well, I don't know.
- 283. If you've got problems,
- 284. I think the best thing to do
is talk them over with me.
- 285. She trusts me,
when it comes to things like that.
- 286. Push it out!
- 287. That's it.
There's a bit over there.
- 288. Thanks.
- 289. Perhaps, if...
- 290. if it happens that...
- 291. I need anything,
then I'll ask you.
- 292. You can talk to her.
- 293. She's nice, Hédi.
- 294. We'll see. I may not need it
- 295. Yes, of course.
- 296. You've come a long way...
- 297. and I never thought
that I could still find someone.
- 298. I swear!
- 299. So many strange things
are happening to me, right now.
- 300. First, you know, for a long time
- 301. it was the two of us living here,
my son and I.
- 302. Then it just so happened
that we had to take Anna in.
- 303. She helps me.
I have to have these shots.
- 304. Then there was her lover.
- 305. And I was so pleased
- 306. because
- 307. it's horrible sitting here, at night,
waiting for my son to come home.
- 308. I was alone.
- 309. I began to feel afraid
in the house.
- 310. I was glad to have company.
- 311. All I had to do was go out
and there they were.
- 312. It really put me at ease.
- 313. I don't know how to say this,
but for a while now
- 314. I've not been able to read them.
- 315. It's as though
there's nothing behind the eyes.
- 316. And then, all of a sudden...
Maybe it's my imagination, I don't know.
- 317. I began to feel as if
they were looking at me differently.
- 318. As though their every word was a lie.
- 319. I don't know how to put it.
- 320. Somehow,
things are no longer the same.
- 321. It's strange.
- 322. It's not so much that they're cold.
- 323. I don't know whether
I'm just being hypersensitive
- 324. or whether
it's just my imagination,
- 325. because I always complicate things.
Maybe it's because I'm...
- 326. I'm afraid.
- 327. I'm really afraid these days.
- 328. I don't know if you know Anna
or talked more with her.
- 329. But why have I suddenly
become afraid of them?
- 330. I don't dare say it out loud,
- 331. but I'm starting
to be afraid of my own son.
- 332. He's so stubborn,
- 333. He looks at me as though I'm
a complete stranger, an enemy.
- 334. Well, this is madness.
- 335. - You don't think your own son...
- I don't. No, no.
- 336. who's really nice, anyway...
- 337. I can't imagine how,
all of a sudden,
- 338. it all comes out.
I don't mean it. Or do I?
- 339. How can a thought like that
even cross my mind?
- 340. What is it that I'm afraid of?
- 341. - No, no, no.
- Of course not.
- 342. He's a really nice guy.
It's just that he has his...
- 343. - Well, I didn't mean that, just...
- I know.
- 344. You mustn't think such things.
- 345. Let's drink some champagne
and then afterwards...
- 346. - it's a birthday, isn't it?
- A celebration. And now I'm crying.
- 347. - Cheers.
- 348. Excuse me.
- 349. Now why did he rush off?
- 350. János, why did you run off?
- 351. Go to bed.
- 352. I don't want to.
Can't you see that, you fool?
- 353. - Come and sit beside me.
- I won't sit down.
- 354. - Come on over here. Sit here.
- No, no, no. Go to bed.
- 355. Get up and go to bed.
- 356. Come and sit beside me, silly.
- 357. Don't do that.
- 358. Off to bed with you.
- 359. Come here, you idiot!
- 360. You know your mother.
- 361. She's a wonderful lady.
- 362. If only once I could get her to stroke me
the way she stroked you...
- 363. Go to bed!
- 364. - Why should I?
- Because I'm fed up with you.
- 365. Look, what do you want?
Leave me alone!
- 366. Believe me,
- 367. if she would only once touch me
the way she touches you,
- 368. the way she strokes your head,
- 369. - then I'd be a happy man.
- Off to bed with you.
- 370. I won't go. Leave me alone.
- 371. Believe me,
- 372. I'm an old man.
- 373. Go to bed.
- 374. Get up and go to bed, OK?
- 375. I love your mother!
- 376. Off to bed!
- 377. Are you crazy?
- 378. Come here,
for God's sake!
- 379. Off to bed with you.
- 380. I have something to tell you.
- 381. I've loved few people, in my life.
- 382. People I've understood.
- 383. Your mother is one of them
and I understand why I've loved her.
- 384. And you.
- 385. Now off you go.
That's it, you're going to bed.
- 386. I don't want to, you pig.
- 387. Go to bed!
- 388. There's your hat.
- 389. Go away, you brute. You beast, you!
- 390. Off to bed with you.
- 391. I've had enough of you.
- 392. You stay here.
- 393. You stupid idiot.
- 394. You're crazy.
- 395. Are you going to bed?
- 396. No!
- 397. Can I have one?
- 398. Up until now,
I've always lived my life...
- 399. in a somewhat humiliating fashion.
- 400. I'm inhibited. Very inhibited.
- 401. And I felt that...
- 402. I don't know, I don't know.
- 403. Everything I've done so far...
- 404. I've always been ashamed
- 405. I felt that...
- 406. How shall I put it?
- 407. People have expected more of me
than I've been capable of.
- 408. And I don't know if I'm up to it.
- 409. It's a terrible conflict...
- 410. because I feel that...
- 411. I'm not capable.
- 412. Yet I know what is expected of me.
- 413. Giving something.
- 414. And I'm afraid of not
being able to give.
- 415. I'd like to produce something.
- 416. In school the kids sit there...
- 417. and I'm...
- 418. embarrassed because
I don't know what to do.
- 419. I'm already old,
to another generation,
- 420. but I have to give them
some kind of belief,
- 421. that they somehow...
That they can go on.
- 422. That they should believe
what I say.
- 423. That they should believe
it's all worth doing.
- 424. That...
- 425. they must live.
- 426. You have to have a reason to go on.
- 427. I don't know why
you have to go on,
- 428. because you don't
have to go on, because...
- 429. We keep moving,
one step at a time...
- 430. towards catastrophe.
- 431. Everything must end.
But you have to live.
- 432. You have to love something,
but I don't know what,
- 433. because I don't love anything.
- 434. But you have to go
in some direction.
- 435. And I suppose it'd be good if...
- 436. I found someone...
- 437. that I could live happily with.
- 438. "Happily". What a stupid fucking word.
- 439. I need someone
- 440. who'd accept all my nonsense,
all my idiosyncrasies,
- 441. who...
- 442. Who'd be able to live with me
- 443. and accept my drinking
and being brought home drunk.
- 444. Who'd put me to bed.
- 445. Who'd put up with that?
It'd have to be a man, I think.
- 446. No doubt no such person exists.
- 447. I am...
- 448. in fact...
- 449. an unfortunate man.
- 450. Maybe that's not true.
- 451. Maybe it's not true that I'm unfortunate.
- 452. But...
- 453. one thing...
- 454. that I am clinging to...
- 455. is the one thing that I've found.
- 456. I have a dream and an idea.
- 457. Why can't I make it happen?
- 458. Why?
- 459. I went to bed with the teacher.
- 460. Never, in my whole life,
has it been so good with anyone.
- 461. What do you say to that?
- 462. That's news to me...
- 463. but I'm glad.
- 464. Good.
- 465. - I thought you'd be angry.
- Did you? Why? Why?
- 466. Well, he lives here.
- 467. - But why should I be angry?
- Order in the house.
- 468. You brought one boyfriend here.
- 469. Now the other one's here.
Cosy, isn't it?
- 470. Well, more than comfortable.
- 471. - Very well, then.
- You don't mind?
- 472. - About what?
- The situation.
- 473. - That's your business, isn't it?
- That's fine, then.
- 474. So, did it go well?
- 475. Yes. I didn't give it any thought.
- 476. Really, none at all.
It never entered my mind.
- 477. He's been hanging around.
- 478. This is when something
can be done.
- 479. - What do you have in mind?
- I don't know.
- 480. Killing someone, perhaps?
- 481. The teacher bites.
- 482. Really bites.
- 483. He has huge teeth, you know,
- 484. beautiful hairy hands
and big flat fingers.
- 485. Have a look at them
next time you see him.
- 486. But don't laugh.
- 487. Disgusting, disgusting.
Like an animal.
- 488. I'd never have believed
I could have enjoyed it.
- 489. But I did.
- 490. You know what I'm like.
I always like it
- 491. when someone's nice to me,
strokes me or shows me affection.
- 492. At least I thought it was good for me.
- 493. Like an animal.
- 494. But the thought that this could be good...
- 495. Were we too noisy,
- 496. I hope we didn't wake you up.
- 497. That's good.
- 498. Very interesting.
- 499. I feel great.
- 500. Better than I've ever felt before.
- 501. Yet...
- 502. he's quite horrendous.
- 503. The teacher, I mean.
- 504. And now...
- 505. Well, yes.
- 506. Yes, what?
- 507. Things are beginning to take shape
at my place.
- 508. Don't worry,
it won't be like this.
- 509. I won't turn the house
into a brothel.
- 510. After all, I didn't want any of this.
It's not my fault.
- 511. It just turned out this way.
This is how it was.
- 512. That dress really suits you.
- 513. You've got lovely hair.
- 514. A life lived on instinct.
- 515. Actually,
- 516. if I'm to go into this,
there are to be no sinners.
- 517. No victims.
We follow our instincts.
- 518. It's nobody's fault, is it?
That's just human nature.
- 519. Why is anyone ever held to account
- 520. These laws...
- 521. are either imprinted on us or they're not.
- 522. Who is the sinner?
Does sin even exist?
- 523. We have situations,
we have nerves,
- 524. we have desires,
we have bodies.
- 525. Isn't that so?
- 526. Did Anna go to bed with him?
- 527. I think so.
But is it that interesting?
- 528. Situations can be tempting.
- 529. I don't think
it has to be taken seriously.
- 530. They say we should be
- 531. How many times do you want to shout
- 532. No sense.
- 533. In German,
es war nicht so gemeint.
- 534. "Not meant to be".
- 535. It won't go one step further.
- 536. So what does Anna
- 537. Just to flirt a bit, I think.
- 538. Female instinct.
- 539. It's not meant to be taken that seriously.
- 540. So she wants to drag you
out of the depths,
- 541. out of indifference,
to have something new...
- 542. something refreshing.
- 543. And so it will be!
- 544. - Now you've gone all sad.
- 545. I've never seen you like this.
- 546. It worries me a bit.
Have I been indiscreet?
- 547. Or said something
that was news to you?
- 548. Now you've made me feel
- 549. Perhaps it confused me a bit,
- 550. my comfortable indifference...
- 551. that's been established here.
- 552. But perhaps it didn't.
- 553. Well, it didn't.
- 554. So, I'm on the point
of telling you...
- 555. your relationship with Hédi
- 556. it will only work...
- 557. if, somehow, you can have
some influence on Anna.
- 558. No, really. Honestly.
- 559. No.
- 560. I'm not having you on.
Things between us have got stale.
- 561. That's putting it mildly.
- 562. Still, you're young.
- 563. That is...
- 564. if you can be nice to her and...
- 565. provided that doesn't cause you
- 566. I'm sure your relationship
with Hédi can be sorted out.
- 567. That everything
can be clearer,
- 568. if Anna's power,
- 569. which I find immoral,
- 570. can, somehow, be brought to bear on it.
- 571. So, I really don't know.
- 572. I don't know.
- 573. You understand, don't you?
- 574. I'd like to tell you again,
- 575. that the sexual relationship
you've developed with Anna...
- 576. Well, I warned you, from the start,
that I wouldn't tolerate
- 577. that kind of thing
in the house.
- 578. You may have money problems
- 579. and there I can say
I'm ready to help,
- 580. but one thing you must do,
if you want to stay here,
- 581. is make up your mind.
- 582. I can't have you dilly-dallying.
- 583. In this house,
what I say goes.
- 584. I want you to be fully
aware of that.
- 585. - Hédi, dear.
- 586. A moment, please.
- 587. You're right,
and the reason for it all is...
- 588. Well, I've been drinking
a bit more than I should.
- 589. I promised that I'd get help.
And all I ask of you
- 590. - is that you be a bit patient.
- All right.
- 591. And do a little thinking.
- 592. Why does it have
to be this way?
- 593. Why?
- 594. I wish that I also had
- 595. a son with a future.
- 596. So that I could relax.
- 597. Start doing something.
- 598. it'll go well, once you start.
All you have to do is start.
- 599. I'm so tired now, son.
- 600. You've got nothing to say.
- 601. You're not listening.
All I ever hear from you is
- 602. "Give me money"!
- 603. That's not much.
- 604. Not much at all.
- 605. What do I do?
Tell me, what can I do?
- 606. I speak.
I speak like a deaf person.
- 607. - You're not listening.
- Get out!
- 608. I can talk to you all I like.
- 609. All right.
- 610. I'm sorry, that's not
how I wanted it.
- 611. I'd only like you
to talk to her.
- 612. Tell her
- 613. I need the money.
- 614. Tell her to give me some.
- 615. Have you asked her?
- 616. Yes I have. And more than once.
But she wouldn't give me any.
- 617. That's why
I'm asking you, see?
- 618. Tell her
- 619. it's really important.
- 620. She didn't give you any?
- 621. No.
- 622. I'm sorry.
- 623. I don't want to lecture you, but...
- 624. I'm not surprised she didn't.
- 625. There's a normal way
of living together,
- 626. and you're just not up to it.
- 627. Try to change somehow,
try to live normally.
- 628. Cleverly. Thoughtfully.
Care about people,
- 629. listen to their problems,
and then things will be fine.
- 630. Take my advice
and treat your mother differently.
- 631. Show her some understanding.
- 632. Treat her like a mother
and show her some love.
- 633. Your mother is
an exceptionally nice woman.
- 634. I don't see how she can be nice
to everyone else but not to her son.
- 635. Examine your own faults.
- 636. Stop whining about
how she won't give you money.
- 637. Why should she? Just for you
to go to the pub and drink it all away.
- 638. If you needed it
for something to do with yourself,
- 639. then she'd give it to you.
- 640. I'm sorry but that's all I have to say.
- 641. Try and live a normal life,
like an honest man.
- 642. - ... You can talk, you swine.
- You idiot, what do you want?
- 643. - You can talk...
- What's wrong? Are you mad?
- 644. - You can talk! You little shit!
- You must be mad.
- 645. Don't start again.
You're mad, you are!
- 646. - Let go of me, you pig!
- You dirty sod.
- 647. Who are you calling a sod,
- 648. I'm trying to make a real man out of you!
- 649. Give me the jewellery!
- 650. - What jewellery?
- Give me the jewellery!
- 651. - What jewellery, you idiot?
- I saw you take it.
- 652. I didn't take any jewellery,
I'm not a thief.
- 653. Give me the jewellery!
- 654. - I don't have any jewellery!
- But I saw you!
- 655. But I don't have any jewellery.
- 656. I'll beat the living daylights out of you!
- 657. Look, I'm no thief
and I haven't taken anything!
- 658. Where is it?
- 659. - I didn't steal it.
- Where is it?
- 660. - I needed money.
- Where is it?
- 661. I told you I needed money,
I pawned it.
- 662. I'll redeem it.
It'll go back to your mother.
- 663. Where's the ticket?
- 664. All you're good for is fighting
and using your fists.
- 665. This is why she won't give you the money.
You're too much.
- 666. Where's the ticket?
- 667. - I don't have it.
- Where's the ticket?
- 668. I wanted to redeem it.
Are you too thick to understand?
- 669. Just... let me look at it?
Where is it?
- 670. Here, now look at it.
- 671. I didn't steal it.
I pawned it. I'll redeem it.
- 672. What I meant to ask you,
last time, was...
- 673. how have you been surviving
up until now.
- 674. How did you get lucky?
- 675. How did you succeed?
- 676. Up until now,
I've always seen this as a transition.
- 677. And then there's life.
- 678. But you can't always show it.
- 679. But you can always wait.
- 680. And then it really goes on.
- 681. Then...
- 682. it's not so important.
- 683. It just goes on,
after a while.
- 684. Sometimes
- 685. a couple of pills will do the trick.
- 686. I thought you had
a special trick.
- 687. A trick?
- 688. Now, I never thought of that.
- 689. Perhaps I have.
- 690. You're not afraid of me,
- 691. Of you?
- 692. Give me your hand.
- 693. I'm not afraid of you.
- 694. When I listen to
the cleanness of those notes,
- 695. I feel as though I could beat someone's
to a pulp, just like that.
- 696. I feel it mostly then...
- 697. That's being stupid.
- 698. But I can't always bear it.
- 699. Just give him a good going-over,
if you want to fight someone.
- 700. I have enough. Fighting...
- 701. bores me.
- 702. But I thought that with this...
- 703. other field, with the notes...
- 704. My eyes get dazzled,
so I can't...
- 705. Perhaps I can only trust my ears.
- 706. There's this opera called L'Orfeo.
- 707. It starts with
- 708. Then Orpheus shouts out three times.
- 709. Speaking.
- 710. Because he can't sing then.
Because it hurts him too much.
- 711. You're in the opposite situation.
- 712. Do you think that way?
- 713. - Putting an end to it all.
- It ended a long time ago.
- 714. If I were to grab you by the throat,
do you think
- 715. that it would also affect me?
- 716. Does it hurt you that much?
- 717. Don't you see my face?
- 718. Doesn't it tell you anything?
- 719. No?
- 720. I know it does!
- 721. Disgusting worm!
- 722. Well, it'd be a great help...
- 723. if you'd leave now...
- 724. if you leave the room...
- 725. I'm not going.
- 726. I don't want to.
- 727. - Get out!
- I won't!
- 728. Get out.
- 729. Don't send me out.
- 730. - Get out.
- I won't.
- 731. I love you.
I said that because I love you.
- 732. - Fuck off.
- I won't get out.
- 733. Easy...
- 734. We're getting out.
- 735. We're getting out.
- 736. I'll take you away from here.
- 737. With what?
- 738. What's that?
- 739. I'll sell it.
- 740. I don't believe it.
- 741. - I don't believe it!
- What don't you believe?
- 742. I don't believe it!
- 743. I can't sleep.
- 744. Haven't done for a couple of days now.
- 745. Can you?
- 746. I don't know how to put this,
- 747. so that you don't misunderstand me,
- 748. but...
- 749. I saw Anna
- 750. in János's room...
- 751. But, anyway, that's beside the point.
- 752. Anyway...
- 753. he was showing her
a piece of paper...
- 754. and...
- 755. it was a pawn ticket...
- 756. which...
- 757. Tibor...
- 758. He stole a bracelet from you.
- 759. Hédi...
- 760. Who are we living with?
- 761. What kind of people...?
- 762. Are we even alive?
- 763. Do you get it?
- 764. I don't.
- 765. I don't understand it.
- 766. No.
- 767. Where is any of this leading to?
- 768. The first time you set foot
on the school premises,
- 769. let the gentleness of Jesus
cover your face.
- 770. Call the children unto you
- 771. and stroke their heads.
- 772. If you see one in rags,
- 773. with sorrow written on their face,
- 774. feel compassion for those who start to
suffer from such a young age.
- 775. Clasp them to you
and kiss them.
- 776. Are you not at all interested?
- 777. Me? No. Not in the least.
- 778. I've not been thinking about that.
I've been thinking how
- 779. János is a really nice guy
and nobody's fool.
- 780. You think that only an idiot
would want to marry me?
- 781. - At the very least.
- I'm sorry.
- 782. I said at the very least!
- 783. So, what have you been doing with me
up until now, you bastard?
- 784. - Good question.
- A question.
- 785. Then answer it.
- 786. Was it because of this godforsaken hole?
- 787. For the money?
- 788. - Well...
- Come on!
- 789. You're nowhere...
- 790. just nowhere.
- 791. I can't find the words
to tell you.
- 792. Where have I been up until now?
- 793. Haven't I been anywhere,
up until now?
- 794. Absolutely nowhere.
- 795. So why were you here?
- 796. It suited you to take advantage.
- 797. I must have been somewhere,
otherwise, why were you here?
- 798. If I wasn't anywhere,
then why aren't you on the street?
- 799. Why didn't you leave?
Why didn't you rush off?
- 800. Why have you been sat around here
for the last two years?
- 801. I've got a splitting headache.
- 802. You'd better leave me.
- 803. You're not sending me
away from here again.
- 804. I'll give you such a whack,
you'll never have another headache.
- 805. You lousy sod!
- 806. I call the shots around here,
and I decide
- 807. who leaves,
when and where...
- 808. - I was just asking.
- I'm not alone.
- 809. I'm telling you, for your own good,
that I'm not alone.
- 810. From now on, you can't just
do as you please with me.
- 811. If you want to avoid getting into a fight.
- 812. Just talk to Hédi about that.
- 813. I want to talk to you,
even though it'd be better not to.
- 814. I'll just give you the facts,
then you clear the hell out,
- 815. especially after everything
I've just said.
- 816. You pimp.
- 817. That was quite accurate, wasn't it?
- 818. The last of the pimps.
- 819. Somehow I always thought...
- 820. All right...
- 821. Now you're pulling a face again,
- 822. but don't you go thinking that you've won.
- 823. I don't think anything.
- 824. All right, I don't want to talk
to you about anything.
- 825. Especially after all this.
- 826. After this, you'll be given orders.
- 827. For your own good,
I suggest that you carry them out.
- 828. Otherwise, you're out on your ear,
- 829. - My God!
- All right?
- 830. - It's flat.
- Just do as you're told.
- 831. Don't touch me!
- 832. - Stop this!
- Just go. I'm asking you nicely!
- 833. - I won't go.
- I don't want to have to shout.
- 834. Just listen to me: calm down
and pull yourself together.
- 835. Get out of here!
- 836. I've been a good maid here
and I will be too.
- 837. First you brought your first lover here,
then your second,
- 838. and, finally, the third.
I've had enough.
- 839. Don't take it out on my son.
Let's be having you.
- 840. I'm stronger than you,
for God's sake.
- 841. - That's what you think.
- Just calm down!
- 842. - Aren't you going?
- Do you want to fight?
- 843. I won't go!
- 844. I'm no match for you!
- 845. I don't want to fight,
for God's sake!
- 846. - Then just go and have done.
- I won't go!
- 847. You're going, do you hear.
Now, off with you!
- 848. No need for that.
- 849. You bitch!
- 850. Don't come near me.
- 851. I'm telling you nicely.
- 852. Don't provoke me.
I have my limits.
- 853. Don't provoke me!
- 854. - Please talk to János.
- What, me talk to János?
- 855. That would be best.
- 856. All right, calm down.
- 857. There were a couple of sluts here.
- 858. They've gone and now you're off, too.
- 859. You can't offend me
no matter how hard you try.
- 860. I'm not trying to, it's you who said it.
But that's nothing new.
- 861. - Are you all right?
- None of your business.
- 862. Because if you're not,
just say and I'll go.
- 863. - Go, go.
- Not now.
- 864. I have a phone,
I can call for help if I have to.
- 865. - It's up to you.
- But just go.
- 866. Enough. Enough!
- 867. - I'm not going.
- Why not?
- 868. - Because I want to live here.
- Why provoke further still?
- 869. I'm not being provocative.
- 870. You have to get it into your head
that I have to leave.
- 871. Yes, it's my home.
- 872. - I'm in charge here, see?
- All right, you're in charge.
- 873. Because the relationship
we had is over.
- 874. There's a new set-up now,
in case you weren't aware.
- 875. - That's what I said, too.
- That's why you're leaving.
- 876. So, be a good girl and go.
- 877. Are you starting again?
- 878. - Don't touch that piano!
- Stop, damn it!
- 879. Stop it! Stop it!
- 880. What more do you want?
- 881. Why don't you just leave?
- 882. - Because I don't want to.
- But you will.
- 883. - Stop it!
- Off you go.
- 884. Because you know why?
I'll kill you, otherwise. Now, out!
- 885. Oh, you'd like to,
but you'll never succeed.
- 886. Get out, you bitch!
- 887. This is complete madness.
- 888. I never knew you were
- 889. Obviously not strong enough, since I
haven't been able to kick you out.
- 890. And you won't set foot in here ever again,
even if you are a bit stronger than I am.
- 891. You won't succeed.
- 892. No matter how violent.
- 893. You stink!
- 894. Oh, God...
- 895. - it's impossible.
- 896. I'm sure.
- 897. I think it's possible.
- 898. Everyone creates peace and quiet
in their own image,
- 899. believing it to be good for them.
- 900. There's only one kind of peace.
- 901. If there are two kinds,
then one of them isn't peace.
- 902. When we spoke of peace before,
it was always your version of peace.
- 903. What I want to ask is
- 904. whether you see there being
any chance of...
- 905. Nothing.
- 906. No chance at all.
- 907. What would you do
in my place?
- 908. No advice?
- 909. - You trust me? So you asked?
- 910. You don't need ideas.
- 911. You don't need any advice.
- 912. Still, I wondered if you had any,
'cause I don't.
- 913. Trust me.
- 914. Trust me!
- 915. One thing's for sure:
- 916. Tibor's got to be reported
to the police.
- 917. For theft.
- 918. Your interfering in a marriage
makes no sense,
- 919. but I wouldn't give your son
and his wife a penny.
- 920. Am I interfering?
- 921. In what?
- 922. I'd just like to say...
- 923. if you really trust me,
- 924. just tell me everything.
- 925. Your financial affairs,
what you spend and why,
- 926. how much you want to spend,
how you want to spend it,
- 927. and why you want to give
- 928. It'll make things easier for you
and it'll be a help.
- 929. Your talking
and giving me advice on what to do.
- 930. That's it.
- 931. That's normal, isn't it?
- 932. Yes.
- 933. I think so, too.
- 934. Nervous?
- 935. Yes.
- 936. Yes.
- 937. Thank you for all your help.
- 938. Yes.
- 939. Who would've thought
- 940. that someone who was, seemingly,
a friend, an intellectual,
- 941. a teacher, could do such a thing?
- 942. It has come as quite a surprise.
- 943. If we...
- 944. lose our trust
- 945. then would this still continue to be life
as we know it?
- 946. One can't live that way.
- 947. Actually my son found out,
- 948. but he wanted to see
the outcome, see what happened,
- 949. so he found out about
the pawnshop and the rest.
- 950. He took the pawn ticket from him,
- 951. so, he saw him in the act
and had proof
- 952. that he had pawned it
under his own name.
- 953. You can imagine!
- 954. In addition to your moral outrage,
- 955. there's the value too.
And the memories.
- 956. And this is a piece
of which I have cherished memories,
- 957. and it's quite valuable, too.
- 958. It's gold. Braided gold.
- 959. There are one or two diamonds
set in it, too.
- 960. They're handmade, beautiful.
- 961. Yes.
- 962. Yes, yes.
- 963. Yes.
- 964. Yes. Well...
- 965. Thank you very much.
That's all I wanted to report.
- 966. Me, too.
Goodbye. Thank you.
- 967. I am guilty,
- 968. but I was expecting them
to be more understanding.
- 969. In particular,
I wouldn't have expected them
- 970. to betray me to you,
- 971. and to try and ruin
the relationship between us.
- 972. But that's how it happened,
which is why I am sad.
- 973. You were, perhaps, the only one
- 974. who has been patient with me,
from beginning to end.
- 975. So now, I'd like to apologise
for everything that has happened.
- 976. It's a private affair.
- 977. That's what they say.
- 978. That's what they tell me. Sort it out.
It's a private affair.
- 979. That is, indeed, true.
I always forget that.
- 980. How you survive
is a private affair.
- 981. No more.
- 982. That's all.
- 983. As Hamlet says,
"The rest is silence."
- 984. it's up to you.
- 985. It's up to you.
- 986. When my hair
was long and brown,
- 987. I asked my mother
- 988. If I would be happy,
and she replied, in tears,
- 989. "Be as humble as I am."
- 990. "Let my love be enough."
- 991. "Fate has a thousand ways."
- 992. "And what will be will be"
- 993. When my hair was
long and brown
- 994. I asked my mother
- 995. If I would be happy
- 996. And she replied, in tears
- 997. "Be as humble as I am
Let my love be enough"
- 998. "The future I can't see,
and what will be, will be"
- 999. "Whatever will be, will be"
- 1000. On my very first date
- 1001. A fine young lad came up to me
- 1002. "Will you love me forever?"
- 1003. And here is the lie he told me,
- 1004. "Whatever will, be will be,
the future I can't see"
- 1005. "Fate has a thousand ways,
and what will be will be,"
- 1006. "Whatever will be, will be"
- 1007. Two years we were happy
- 1008. Then he went so faraway
- 1009. Will he be back or not?
- 1010. All his letters said, was,
- 1011. "Whatever will be, will be,
the future I can't see"
- 1012. "Fate has a thousand ways,
and what will, be will be,"
- 1013. "Whatever will be, will be"
- 1014. Now I've a child of my own
- 1015. With hair as brown as my own, asking,
- 1016. "Will I be happy?"
And l smile, in tears, saying,
- 1017. "Be as humble as me,
be satisfied my love"
- 1018. "The future I can't see
and what will be, will be"
- 1019. "And what will be, will be,"
- 1020. "Whatever will be, will be"