- 1. BLOCK 2 PICTURES
- 2. AND
- 3. Starring
- 4. Special Appearance by
- 5. In the year 2046,
a vast rail network spans the globe.
- 6. A mysterious train leaves for 2046
every once in a while.
- 7. Every passenger going to 2046
has the same intention.
- 8. They want to recapture lost memories.
- 9. Because nothing ever changes in 2046.
- 10. Nobody really knows if that's true,
- 11. because nobody's ever come back.
- 12. Except me.
- 13. 998.
- 14. 997.
- 15. If someone wants to leave 2046,
- 16. how long will it take?
- 17. Some people get away fairly easily.
- 18. Others find that it takes them
- 19. I forget how long I've been on this train.
- 20. I'm starting to feel very lonely.
- 21. As I recall, many have gone to 2046.
- 22. You're the first to come back.
- 23. May I ask why you left 2046?
- 24. Whenever anyone asked why I left 2046,
- 25. I gave them some vague answer.
- 26. Before...
- 27. when people had secrets
they didn't want to share,
- 28. they'd climb a mountain.
- 29. They'd find a tree
and carve a hole in it...
- 30. and whisper the secret into the hole...
- 31. then cover it over with mud.
- 32. That way,
nobody else would ever discover it.
- 33. I once fell in love with someone.
- 34. After a while, she wasn't there.
- 35. I went to 2046.
- 36. I thought she might be
waiting for me there.
- 37. But I couldn't find her.
- 38. I can't stop wondering
if she loved me or not.
- 39. But I never found out.
- 40. Maybe her answer was like a secret...
- 41. that no one else would ever know.
- 42. ALL MEMORIES ARE TRACES OF TEARS.
- 43. Didn't you promise not to come back?
- 44. I came to see you.
- 45. Why?
- 46. I have no prospects here
- 47. so I'll see how things are in Hong Kong.
- 48. When are you leaving?
- 49. The ship sails in two days.
- 50. Why are you telling me?
- 51. I thought we might go together.
- 52. You know nothing about my past, do you?
- 53. If you'd rather not tell me, I don't mind.
- 54. If you win, I'll join you.
- 55. She found an indirect way of rejecting me.
- 56. As I recall, that was the very last time
we saw each other.
- 57. Right after that, I left Singapore.
- 58. I got back to Hong Kong
at the end of 1966.
- 59. It was the time of the riots.
- 60. I wasn't sure how long I'd be staying.
- 61. So I took a room in a small hotel
in Wan Chai.
- 62. I wrote columns for the newspapers.
- 63. They paid ten dollars per thousand words.
- 64. It was pretty tough at first.
- 65. As long as I could make ends meet,
- 66. it made no difference
what kind of stuff I wrote.
- 67. "Diary of the Bazooka Hero."
- 68. The new star at Club Luk Kwok is Fei Fei!
- 69. A knockout beauty with amazing bazookas!
- 70. A smash hit with tit lovers!
- 71. Hang on. Of course I'm exaggerating.
I can't say her tits are fake, can I?
- 72. I soon got used to this kind of life.
- 73. I became an expert ladies' man.
- 74. Lots of one-night-stands.
- 75. But nothing lasts forever anyway.
- 76. DECEMBER 24, 1966
- 77. Is that really true?
- 78. Why would I lie to you?
- 79. You really know me?
- 80. Weren't you in a show in Singapore in '64?
- 81. Yes.
- 82. You're Lulu.
- 83. I was then.
- 84. Not anymore.
- 85. What's your name now?
- 86. Why should I tell you?
- 87. On Christmas Eve, 1966,
- 88. I ran into a friend from Singapore
in a nightclub.
- 89. We'd been rather close.
- 90. But that night,
she'd apparently forgotten me.
- 91. Have we really met before?
- 92. How could you forget?
- 93. You said I looked
like your late boyfriend.
- 94. You taught me the cha-cha.
- 95. Go on.
- 96. You were always dragging me to the casino.
- 97. You'd hit a losing streak.
You owed a fortune.
- 98. My friends and I
paid for your passage to Hong Kong.
- 99. You talked a lot
about your late boyfriend...
- 100. a Chinese Filipino from a rich family.
- 101. You planned to marry him,
but he died young.
- 102. You said he was the love of your life.
- 103. I shouldn't call up sad memories
at this time of year.
- 104. But do you remember that Christmas night?
- 105. We went drinking.
- 106. We talked a lot.
- 107. Was she just pretending
she'd forgotten me?
- 108. I took her back to her hotel.
She was dead to the world.
- 109. She'd had too much to drink.
- 110. So I left quickly.
- 111. On my way out,
I noticed a very familiar number.
- 112. If I hadn't run into her that night,
I wouldn't have seen that number.
- 113. And I wouldn't have written 2046.
- 114. Can I help you?
- 115. Is Miss Lulu in?
- 116. Lulu? There's no Miss Lulu here.
- 117. There was a Mimi, but she's moved out.
- 118. But I was here two days ago.
Do you know where she's gone?
- 119. No! What do you want with her?
- 120. Nothing really.
- 121. I have her key. I wanted to return it.
- 122. You can give it to me.
- 123. Thanks.
- 124. You want to rent the room?
- 125. I'm just back from abroad.
- 126. I don't have my own place yet.
- 127. If the room's vacant, I could take a look.
- 128. This is just a small hotel,
- 129. but our residents are all decent people.
- 130. What's your line of work?
- 131. I write for newspapers.
- 132. Great! A fellow artist!
- 133. I haven't always done this.
- 134. - I used to be an artist too.
- 135. I took singing lessons in Harbin.
- 136. Back then, I was a tenor.
- 137. It'll be a pleasure to have you here.
- 138. - When will you move in?
- As soon as possible.
- 139. But you can't.
- 140. Room 2046 has to be renovated.
2047 is vacant.
- 141. Take a look at it.
- 142. Never mind.
- 143. I'll come back when it's ready.
- 144. Why that particular room?
- 145. Maybe it's the number.
- 146. It has some significance for you?
- 147. I'm joking.
- 148. Tell you what.
- 149. Take a quick look at 2047.
- 150. If it's okay, you can move in.
- 151. Then switch to 2046 when it's ready.
- 152. How about it?
- 153. Can I see the room?
- 154. Of course! Please.
- 155. Once I moved in...
- 156. I found out what had happened
the night before.
- 157. Lulu was stabbed by a jealous boyfriend...
- 158. a drummer from the club.
- 159. She'd really liked him
- 160. and compared him
with a bird that could never land.
- 161. For all these years...
- 162. Lulu has been looking
for her legless bird.
- 163. Most of her affairs ended badly,
but she didn't mind sad endings.
- 164. No matter what happened,
- 165. at least she was always the leading lady.
- 166. Good!
- 167. Sure!
- 168. Go!
- 169. Let's go!
- 170. Let's go!
- 171. I'll go with you!
- 172. Good. I'll go with you!
- 173. Sure!
- 174. I understand!
- 175. You know what I mean?
I know. I understand.
- 176. I sot it!
- 177. Can I go?
- 178. I can go!
- 179. Sure!
- 180. I understand!
- 181. Got it!
- 182. It didn't take long
to finish re-decorating 2046.
- 183. But by then, I was used to 2047.
- 184. Sure!
- 185. I started hearing a strange voice
through the wall.
- 186. I thought someone had moved in.
- 187. But it was the daughter
of the hotel owner, Mr. Wang.
- 188. Definitely!
- 189. I'm definitely going!
- 190. Okay, let's go!
- 191. I had no idea what she was saying.
- 192. The bellhop told me it was Japanese.
- 193. It seems she had a Japanese boyfriend.
- 194. Tell the driver 220 Granville Road.
- 195. - Ga... ran... wai.
- 220 Granville Road.
- 196. Turn from Humphreys Avenue.
- 197. - Near Kimberley Road.
- Can you say again?
- 198. - Don't turn down Salisbury Road.
- Slowly, please.
- 199. I'll draw you a map.
- 200. That's my pen!
- 201. I'll repeat it once more.
- 202. Turn from Humphreys Avenue.
- 203. Near Kimberley Road.
- 204. But don't turn down Salisbury Road.
- 205. Understand?
- 206. I'll draw you a map.
- 207. Granville Road.
- 208. Turn from Humphreys Avenue.
- 209. Don't turn down Salisbury Road.
- 210. Remember, don't turn down Salisbury Road.
- 211. His company in Japan
had sent him to Hong Kong.
- 212. When he got here,
he checked into this hotel.
- 213. The world is full of men!
- 214. Why do you have to choose a Japanese?
- 215. Get rid of him!
- 216. I will never meet him!
- 217. You want my blessing?
- 218. Not while I'm alive!
- 219. It had been going on for ages.
- 220. Mr. Wang's family suffered
under the Japanese in the war,
- 221. so they had to break up.
- 222. Can you tell me what you feel?
- 223. Do you love me...
- 224. or not?
- 225. I'm scared to hear your answer.
- 226. But I have to ask anyway.
- 227. Come away with me.
- 228. Goodbye.
- 229. The man finally went back to Japan.
- 230. That's when Miss Wang
began talking to herself.
- 231. Hey, ask your boss to turn it down a bit!
- 232. Mr. Chow, you'd better ask him yourself.
- 233. Mr. Chow.
- 234. Hasn't he left already?
- 235. Why is he back?
- 236. I will not see him!
- 237. If you won't give him up, get out!
- 238. Go away with him!
- 239. I assumed that Mr. Wang played it so loud
because he loved opera.
- 240. Actually he didn't want anyone
to overhear the family argument.
- 241. Come back for me
when you're a little older.
- 242. I said wait till you grow up.
- 243. I like it.
- 244. Mr. Wang thought about very little
besides his two daughters.
- 245. The older one was crazy
about her Japanese man.
- 246. The younger one
was precocious for her age.
- 247. She kept coming into my room for drinks.
- 248. Then she ran off with some man,
- 249. another drummer from a club band, I heard.
- 250. After she left,
her older sister got into trouble too.
- 251. Hey, have a word with your boss for me.
- 252. I'm a bit late with the rent.
- 253. Anyway, he has my deposit.
- 254. Mr. Chow, tell him yourself.
- 255. He's in a foul mood these days.
- 256. What's eating him?
- 257. First, one daughter ran away.
- 258. Now the other one's in the hospital.
- 259. - That's why he's so angry.
- Why is she in the hospital?
- 260. He wouldn't say. He was quite strange.
- 261. Steer clear of him.
- 262. So, that's it?
- 263. Anyhow, give him my invitation.
It's my father's birthday banquet.
- 264. He can deduct his gift
from the rent I owe.
- 265. On May 22, 1967,
they imposed a curfew in Hong Kong.
- 266. Homemade bombs caused panic.
- 267. The economy stopped dead.
- 268. I stopped going out.
- 269. Some thought I was a reformed character.
- 270. Actually, I was writing —
- 271. a story called 2046...
- 272. all about men and women looking for love,
- 273. risking everything
to get to a place called 2046.
- 274. What's that?
- 275. Let's go to 2046.
- 276. I made it as bizarre and erotic
as possible without crossing the line.
- 277. The readers liked it.
- 278. Some didn't take
to the science fiction angle.
- 279. But all 2046 meant to me
was the number of a hotel room.
- 280. I made up the whole thing,
- 281. but some of my own experiences
found their way into it.
- 282. People I ran into
in the normal course of things
- 283. turned up in my stories.
- 284. I felt more and more at ease
in my fictional World.
- 285. Around that time,
Mr. Wang's music got loud again.
- 286. More trouble with his two daughters.
- 287. But also, because of the bad state
of the economy,
- 288. a lot of the rooms were empty.
- 289. Then in September, the rioting ended.
- 290. Life went back to normal.
- 291. Soon someone moved into 2046.
- 292. Have you nearly finished?
- 293. It's too early in the day for that!
- 294. Some of us are trying to sleep!
- 295. Peeking?
- 296. The woman next door is quite a dish!
What are my chances?
- 297. You're out of your head.
- 298. A father-to-be
shouldn't have that on his mind.
- 299. Now that she's pregnant,
my wife won't let me touch her.
- 300. Put in a good word for me.
- 301. Come on.
- 302. Okay.
- 303. How much?
- 304. How much have you got?
- 305. $100.
- 306. Wait for my call.
- 307. Mr. Chow! Mr. Chow!
- 308. Mr. Chow, a call for you!
- 309. Bright and early, huh?
- 310. She's not up yet.
- 311. Why come over?
- 312. I told you. It has to be arranged.
- 313. She's not some streetwalker.
- 314. A fellow artist like you.
- 315. Show her a little respect, will you?
- 316. Yes, I'll tell you right away.
- 317. Miss Bai, your key.
- 318. You're back, Miss Bai.
- 319. Who is it?
- 320. - Who are you looking for?
- Mr. Chow suggested I come by.
- 321. You're back, Mr. Chow.
- 322. Did you win on the dogs?
- 323. - I lost!
- I won a little.
- 324. Hey.
- 325. Looking for me?
- 326. I think you know this person.
- 327. What are doing in that room?
- 328. You said you'd arrange it! I paid you!
- 329. When did I say it was this room?
- 330. - I said that room.
- I said this one.
- 331. Your girl's in that room.
- 332. How embarrassing! Please excuse him.
- 333. I told you the room on the left!
- 334. - I said I wanted that one!
- Shut up!
- 335. Who is it?
- 336. Oh, you again.
- 337. I just wanted to apologize for last night.
- 338. Forget it.
- 339. Go away.
- 340. Ping, my editor, was out of line.
- 341. But he's not really so bad.
- 342. Just a bit stingy. Never pays his way.
- 343. Always says he's broke
when the check arrives.
- 344. So I thought I'd play a trick on him.
- 345. At my expense? Didn't you go a bit far?
- 346. He only fell for it
because you're so beautiful.
- 347. You're quite a flirt.
- 348. Just stating a fact.
- 349. A small token of apology.
- 350. Please accept it.
- 351. I don't want it.
- 352. You're still cross, aren't you?
- 353. - Please accept it.
- 354. - Come on.
- 355. It's just a small token. Accept it.
- 356. Don't make fun of me. I mean what I say.
- 357. Now get out.
- 358. That's good. Let it all out.
- 359. How can I make you feel better?
Slap me again.
- 360. Think I wouldn't dare?
- 361. Come closer.
- 362. Bastard.
- 363. Don't be so petty.
- 364. That's enough.
- 365. I'm gracious enough
not to slap you again.
- 366. That doesn't mean you can take advantage.
- 367. This time, I'll let you save face.
- 368. If there's ever a next time,
I'll be less polite.
- 369. It won't happen again.
- 370. My face is still numb.
- 371. - Accept it.
- 372. They're just a token of my regard.
- 373. I chose them myself.
- 374. See if you like them.
- 375. If you don't, just throw them away.
- 376. There.
- 377. Good.
- 378. I'll leave now.
- 379. Calm down.
- 380. It's none of your business
who I dated last night.
- 381. Who?
- 382. Dabao.
- 383. Which Dabao?
- 384. The fat one or the skinny one?
- 385. From Shanghai or from Shandong?
- 386. The trouble is,
I know so many men named Dabao.
- 387. How should I know which one you mean?
- 388. Yes, I did.
- 389. What are you going to do about it?
- 390. Fine.
- 391. I'll be waiting.
- 392. Let me just say.
- 393. Get out!
- 394. You think I'll stand for this?
- 395. It's either her or me.
- 396. You'd better choose.
- 397. Now get out!
- 398. DECEMBER 24, 1967
- 399. You're back early.
- 400. It's Christmas.
- 401. Shouldn't you be having dinner
with your boyfriend?
- 402. What boyfriend?
- 403. Then let's have supper.
- 404. Come on.
- 405. You have so many girlfriends.
You need company?
- 406. Go out with them.
- 407. They all want to be with me,
but I can't choose.
- 408. The fairest thing is to see none of them.
- 409. Come on. No point
in staying cooped up in your room.
- 410. I'm not in a good mood tonight.
- 411. I might get drunk and slap you again.
- 412. That's okay.
- 413. I'm used to it.
- 414. If slapping me makes you happy,
take that as my Christmas present.
- 415. Come on.
- 416. Come with me.
- 417. Let go of me.
- 418. I didn't expect
to spend Christmas like this.
- 419. What were you expecting?
- 420. We'd made plans.
- 421. He was taking me to Singapore.
- 422. He says it's warm there at Christmas.
- 423. So I didn't even pack winter clothes.
- 424. What I'm wearing now is for summer.
- 425. Have you been to Singapore?
- 426. I worked there for several years.
- 427. What kind of work?
- 428. On a newspaper.
- 429. Is it fun there?
- 430. It's okay.
- 431. Tell me more.
- 432. I won't be going.
- 433. So I'll just have to imagine it.
- 434. What do you want to know?
- 435. How's the climate?
- 436. Pretty warm...
- 437. all year round.
- 438. Sometimes you can't
tell what season it is.
- 439. The food stalls are great.
- 440. Ping and I ate there after work.
- 441. We'd eat and drink till dawn.
- 442. Our landlord was a funny man.
- 443. Short and fat, and he always wore a skirt.
- 444. What the Malays call a sarong.
- 445. But when you're away from home...
- 446. it sometimes gets boring.
- 447. That was a dull meal.
- 448. Another drink somewhere else?
- 449. You really like to drink.
- 450. It makes things easy.
- 451. When I'm drunk, I have no worries.
- 452. Won't your girlfriends
be missing you tonight?
- 453. They're not stuck to me.
They see other men too.
- 454. We just have fun together.
- 455. They still need to make a living.
- 456. I don't get it.
- 457. Where does all that fun get you?
- 458. If you find the right person,
why waste time on anyone else?
- 459. If I find the right person.
- 460. A man like me has nothing much
except free time.
- 461. That's why I need company.
- 462. So people are just time killers to you?
- 463. I wouldn't say that.
- 464. Other people can borrow my time too.
- 465. And this evening?
- 466. Are you borrowing me,
or am I borrowing you?
- 467. No difference.
- 468. Maybe I borrowed you earlier
and now you're borrowing me.
- 469. Ridiculous.
- 470. Don't get me wrong.
- 471. I don't intend to take advantage of you.
- 472. If that was what I wanted,
I had plenty of options.
- 473. I just want us to be drinking pals.
- 474. Is that okay?
- 475. It's hard. But I'll give it a try.
- 476. Okay.
- 477. Let's try.
- 478. - Where to?
- Let's drink.
- 479. Mr. Chow, you seem happy tonight.
- 480. I certainly am.
My friends are buying me dinner.
- 481. This way, please.
- 482. Ping. Is it someone's birthday?
- 483. Better than that.
Chow has a new girlfriend.
- 484. Definitely worth celebrating.
- 485. Mr. Chow, what would you like
to eat tonight?
- 486. Something expensive.
- 487. - Snake?
- Yes, snake would be good.
- 488. Snake isn't cheap. Can you afford it?
- 489. Sure you'll win the bet?
- 490. Shut up. Don't mind him.
- 491. - What'll it be, Mr. Chow?
- 492. And a lamb casserole too.
- 493. And bring Hoi's whiskey.
- 494. Yes. Good.
- 495. Can't let this go to waste.
- 496. Where's your girl, Chow?
- 497. It's already 2:00 a.m. Is she coming?
- 498. She can't be coming.
- 499. I don't think she's coming.
- 500. It's all your fault.
- 501. It's because of you that this happened.
- 502. Why blame me?
- 503. You brought this on yourself.
- 504. You said she was gentle and obedient.
- 505. Now we know the truth.
- 506. I said she was sometimes obedient
and sometimes gentle.
- 507. But she's full of surprises.
That's part of the fun.
- 508. - So, what next?
- Yes, what now?
- 509. Whatever you feel like doing.
- 510. And then what happened?
- 511. Tell me.
- 512. How are you going to thank me?
- 513. Pervert.
- 514. Open up.
- 515. - Who is it?
- Open the door.
- 516. It's late.
- 517. You played a fine joke on me tonight.
- 518. I finished work late,
- 519. too late to get there.
- 520. So I didn't come.
- 521. Where is your mustache?
- 522. That's your fault too.
- 523. How could I know you'd stand me up?
- 524. I thought I'd win a few hundred.
- 525. Instead I lost my mustache.
- 526. This is all your fault.
- 527. You deserved it.
- 528. Who pushed you into the bet?
- 529. I'll tell you something.
- 530. Ping asked me not to show up.
- 531. Anyhow,
I wasn't that fond of the mustache.
- 532. You look younger now.
- 533. Don't you like it?
- 534. You're making fun of me.
- 535. You tricked me.
- 536. I'll get you for this.
- 537. How will you make it up to me?
- 538. At least give me a kiss.
- 539. You bit me.
- 540. Come and get me.
- 541. You're in for it when I catch you.
- 542. Don't touch me there.
- 543. Bastard. You've bruised me.
- 544. Think you were any better?
- 545. Look, I'm bleeding.
- 546. Maybe it's because winter's coming.
- 547. See what happens when I eat lamb?
- 548. Brings out the beast in me.
- 549. - What?
- Don't move.
- 550. What are you doing?
- 551. - Shaving you.
- 552. Who knows where that razor's been?
- 553. It could bring me bad luck.
- 554. Let's go for round two.
- 555. No way.
- 556. Why are you dressed?
- 557. I'm going back to my room.
- 558. I'm exhausted.
- 559. This is all I have
- 560. aside from loose change for the bus.
- 561. Here's $200.
- 562. Please take it.
- 563. I don't want it.
- 564. I wasn't selling.
- 565. That's not how I meant it.
- 566. I want to pay for your torn dress.
- 567. Please take it.
- 568. I see.
- 569. You're afraid I'll cling to you.
Is that it?
- 570. Fine.
- 571. I'll take ten dollars.
- 572. Think of it as a discount rate.
- 573. If you ever want to come over again,
- 574. I'll charge the same.
- 575. I'm going back to my room.
- 576. Come here.
- 577. Not tonight.
- 578. Why not?
- 579. Not in the mood?
- 580. Can't take the strain tonight.
- 581. Anyhow, I'm a bit short of cash.
- 582. Never mind. You can owe me.
- 583. I don't like being in debt.
- 584. The reception's at 6:00.
Dinner's at 8:00.
- 585. I don't mind if you can't make it.
Just send your gift.
- 586. No more than you do.
- 587. You hold banquets all year round.
- 588. I've had four birthday invitations
from you this year.
- 589. I'll send over
some more invitation cards later.
- 590. Think of people with money.
- 591. Write in their names
and send them invitations.
- 592. Okay, that's settled.
- 593. Mr. Chow, holding another banquet?
- 594. You know that we have birthdays
in different calendars.
- 595. Another of mine has come around.
- 596. No doubt.
- 597. - Here's one for your boss.
- All right.
- 598. Tell him that, since we're so close,
- 599. he can deduct his gift
from the rent I owe.
- 600. - Make sure he gets it.
- 601. It's late. What's so urgent?
- 602. I just got back from Macau.
- 603. Chow asked me to bring you a present.
- 604. You two went to Macau?
- 605. Yes, we had some days off.
So we went to the casino.
- 606. Oh, it's beautiful.
- 607. He says he found some money in his pocket.
- 608. So before losing it all at the tables,
- 609. he bought you a present.
- 610. Where is he?
- 611. Not back yet. You know what he's like.
- 612. Extravagant at the start of the month
and broke well before the end.
- 613. He made several thousand
hosting that party.
- 614. So now he's really enjoying himself.
- 615. Is he there alone?
- 616. Of course not. There's a gang of them.
- 617. He likes company.
- 618. Was he always like this?
- 619. Let's not talk about him.
Let's have a drink.
- 620. But I should warn you.
- 621. I know you like Chow a lot.
- 622. Don't waste your time on him.
- 623. He's not serious.
- 624. Guess who.
- 625. There's only one possibility.
- 626. Let me have a bite first.
- 627. What are you doing here?
- 628. What am I doing here?
- 629. What do you think?
- 630. I thought I was pretty wild,
- 631. but you're much wilder.
- 632. Pay up.
- 633. I haven't seen you for ages.
- 634. I've been busy.
- 635. Liar.
- 636. Tell me the truth.
- 637. I am.
- 638. Who was that woman the other day?
- 639. What woman?
- 640. Don't pretend.
- 641. I saw her leaving your room.
- 642. Who is she?
- 643. - A friend.
- A friend?
- 644. What was she doing in your room?
- 645. Don't be nosy, all right?
- 646. Go back to your room.
- 647. I have work to do.
- 648. I won't.
- 649. I'm sleeping here tonight.
- 650. An overnight stay is expensive.
- 651. No problem.
- 652. Name your price.
- 653. I'd pay anything to be with you,
- 654. Retail is fine.
- 655. Wholesale is out of the question.
- 656. Why?
- 657. I just don't like it.
- 658. Could you make an exception for me?
- 659. No.
- 660. You treat all women like this?
- 661. Except one.
- 662. - Who?
- My mother.
- 663. I'm serious.
- 664. I don't mind you having other women.
- 665. But I won't be treated the same as them.
- 666. I don't care if you love me or not.
- 667. I'll love you anyway.
- 668. Since we got together,
I haven't brought other men back.
- 669. I hoped you'd think the same way.
- 670. Will you promise me that?
- 671. No.
- 672. I see.
- 673. Then we're through.
- 674. I'll never bother you.
- 675. And I don't ever want you
in my room again.
- 676. Here. Ten dollars.
- 677. Tonight, I'm paying.
- 678. Thank you.
- 679. If you're ever in the mood,
feel free to come over.
- 680. I'll charge you the same.
- 681. Having fun?
- 682. What do you care?
- 683. You were rather loud last night.
- 684. I meant to be.
- 685. You bring back women.
Why shouldn't I have men?
- 686. I want to see if you really don't mind.
- 687. I won't go.
Why don't you come here instead?
- 688. Forget it. Don't come!
- 689. After Bai Ling moved out,
she started dating Dabao.
- 690. And I saw other women too.
- 691. If our paths ever crossed,
we'd pretend not to see each other.
- 692. Rather pathetic, I know.
- 693. But it was better for us
to end it this way.
- 694. I've never seen her since.
- 695. But sometimes...
- 696. she pops up in my stories.
- 697. Your change. Please check it.
- 698. Thank you.
- 699. Are you going out later?
- 700. Why?
- 701. Could you mail this letter for me?
- 702. Sure.
- 703. Then Miss Wang came back.
- 704. I knew it from the familiar sound
coming through the wall.
- 705. Please take me with you.
- 706. Good.
- 707. What are you doing?
- 708. Wasn't I clear?
- 709. Don't contact that Japanese man.
- 710. Why are you writing to him in secret?
- 711. Aren't you ashamed?
- 712. Return his letter.
- 713. No?
- 714. What are you reading?
- 715. A martial-arts novel.
- 716. You like them?
- 717. If your friend wants
to send you more letters
- 718. and you don't want your dad to know,
- 719. tell him to send them to my room.
- 720. I'll pass them on to you.
- 721. She looked happier
when she came back this time.
- 722. We talked more often.
- 723. Mr. Chow, another letter for you.
- 724. Another one.
- 725. Those Japanese girls get so carried away.
- 726. Let's see each other again.
- 727. Then, if you still think
we shouldn't be together...
- 728. tell me so frankly.
- 729. That day, six years ago...
- 730. a rainbow appeared in my heart.
- 731. It is still there,
like a flame burning inside me.
- 732. But what are your real feelings for me?
- 733. Are they like a rainbow after the rain?
- 734. Or...
- 735. did that rainbow fade away long ago?
- 736. I'm waiting for your answer.
- 737. Why do you write all that stuff about sex?
- 738. So I won't starve.
- 739. Don't you worry about your reputation?
- 740. Maybe I'm not such a nice guy.
- 741. Why not try writing something else?
- 742. Who'd read it?
- 743. How about a martial-arts novel?
- 744. People love them.
- 745. That's too hard.
- 746. I tried co-writing one with someone once.
- 747. We locked ourselves away for months.
- 748. Just got sore heads.
- 749. Those were good times.
- 750. I like writing too.
- 751. It's hard to make a living by writing.
- 752. I just do it for fun.
- 753. I'll show you some of my stuff.
- 754. Please do.
- 755. Here you are. Read this first.
- 756. Wow, you're prolific.
- 757. When you've read it,
tell me what you think.
- 758. Don't forget to give it back.
- 759. Of course.
- 760. Have you read my story yet?
- 761. I have.
- 762. What did you think?
- 763. I think you should never
write another word.
- 764. Why not?
- 765. You're so good,
you could put me out of work.
- 766. The Spider Sage
thrusts out his right fist.
- 767. Two chopsticks take off like rockets.
- 768. They land with explosive force.
- 769. Kaboom. The mountain splits apart.
- 770. Slow down. I can't keep up.
- 771. Come on, they're waiting for it.
- 772. All right, all right.
- 773. Caught up?
- 774. Go on.
- 775. Where was I?
- 776. "The mountain splits apart."
- 777. Right. The mountain splits apart,
- 778. smashing Iron Abacus to the ground.
- 779. Iron Abacus?
- 780. Isn't he dead?
- 781. Is he?
- 782. Then make it Iron Head.
- 783. Where did Iron Head come from
all of a sudden?
- 784. Hey, anything goes in martial-arts novels.
- 785. Why don't you get some rest?
I'll finish it for you.
- 786. Okay.
- 787. It felt like having an assistant.
- 788. When I was late with my copy,
I asked her to ghostwrite it for me.
- 789. She was just a girl,
- 790. but she could write as raunchily
as the best of us.
- 791. We got along very well.
- 792. That was my happiest summer ever.
- 793. But it didn't last.
- 794. I encouraged her
to stand up to her father,
- 795. but she didn't dare.
- 796. She wanted to pay her own way.
- 797. So I got her a job
in the cloakroom at a club.
- 798. Thanks.
- 799. She told her father...
- 800. she was going out with me.
- 801. Sometimes I found an excuse
to pick her up after work.
- 802. You're here late.
- 803. If you're ready to go,
I have a taxi waiting.
- 804. I can give you a lift back.
- 805. No, thanks.
- 806. Then I won't wait.
- 807. Feelings can creep up on you unawares.
- 808. I knew that, but did she?
- 809. She was always asking
- 810. if there was anything at all
that never changed.
- 811. I could see what was on her mind.
- 812. I promised to write a story for her
based on my observations,
- 813. something to show her
what her boyfriend was thinking.
- 814. Kind of a joke.
- 815. We thought of calling it 2047.
- 816. But maybe I was being too oblique.
- 817. I'd begun to feel that it wasn't
about her boyfriend at all.
- 818. Rather, it was more about me.
- 819. So I began imagining myself
as a Japanese man...
- 820. On a train headed for 2046...
- 821. falling for an android
with delayed reactions.
- 822. If someone wants to leave 2046,
how long will it take?
- 823. No one can say.
- 824. Some people get away fairly easily.
- 825. Others find that it takes them
- 826. It takes great strength,
and it can hurt terribly.
- 827. He forgets how long
he's been on this train.
- 828. He starts to feel very lonely.
- 829. It's rather boring at first,
- 830. but you gradually get used to it.
- 831. We have a range of cabin attendants.
- 832. They can satisfy your every need.
- 833. They will serve you devotedly,
like an intimate friend.
- 834. But you must never fall in love with them.
- 835. Who'd ever fall for an android?
- 836. Who can say?
- 837. Events can creep up on you
without you even noticing.
- 838. It happens all the time.
- 839. Paragraph 201 in the passengers' guide...
- 840. warns that Zone 1224-1225
is especially cold.
- 841. The train won't be able
to generate enough heat.
- 842. Passengers are advised to hug each other
to keep warm.
- 843. Since he's the only passenger,
- 844. he hugs his android cabin attendant.
- 845. He wonders if it's her mechanism
or just his imagination...
- 846. but he senses some responsive warmth
in her artificial body.
- 847. That hurts.
- 848. Why do you want to leave 2046?
- 849. Do you know...
- 850. what people did in the old days when they
had secrets they didn't want to share?
- 851. They'd climb a mountain...
- 852. find a tree...
- 853. carve a hole in it,
- 854. whisper the secret into the hole...
- 855. and cover it up with mud.
- 856. That way,
- 857. nobody else would ever learn the secret.
- 858. I'll be your tree.
- 859. Tell me, and nobody else will ever know.
- 860. I always...
- 861. I always...
- 862. I always...
- 863. Very funny. I always...
- 864. I always...
- 865. Whenever anyone asked why he left 2046...
- 866. I always...
- 867. he gave them some vague answer.
- 868. I always...
- 869. He once fell in love with someone.
- 870. He couldn't stop wondering
whether she loved him or not.
- 871. He found an android
that looked just like her.
- 872. He thought the android
might give him the answer.
- 873. 10 HOURS LATER
- 874. I have a secret to tell you.
- 875. Leave with me.
- 876. I have a secret to tell you.
- 877. Leave with me.
- 878. He kept on asking...
- 879. but she never answered.
- 880. He began dreaming up excuses
for her silence.
- 881. Do you know the Buddhist canon?
- 882. The five signs of decay
in celestial beings?
- 883. The five signs of decay
in celestial beings.
- 884. It's all about the gods
and how they go through this process too.
- 885. Our cabin attendants
are superbly designed...
- 886. but there's one problem.
- 887. After they've served
on so many long journeys,
- 888. fatigue begins to set in.
- 889. They might want to laugh,
- 890. but the smile would be slow to come.
- 891. They might want to cry,
- 892. but the tears
wouldn't well up till next day.
- 893. This one is failing fast.
- 894. I think you'd better give up.
- 895. He grew desperate.
- 896. He felt like giving up.
- 897. But he was soon trying again.
- 898. I have a secret to tell you.
- 899. Will you leave with me?
- 900. I have a secret to tell you.
- 901. Will you leave with me?
- 902. Do you know what people
did in the old days
- 903. when they had secrets?
- 904. They'd climb a mountain, find a tree...
- 905. carve a hole in it...
- 906. 990...
- 907. 991...
- 908. 992,
- 909. 993...
- 910. 994,
- 911. 995...
- 912. He slowly began to doubt himself.
- 913. The reason she didn't answer...
- 914. was not simply that
her reactions were delayed.
- 915. It's simply that she didn't love him.
- 916. So at last he got it.
- 917. It's entirely beyond his control.
- 918. The only thing left for him...
- 919. was to give up.
- 920. DECEMBER 24, 1968
- 921. Why did you invite me
to Christmas dinner?
- 922. You know how much I'll lose in tips
by not working?
- 923. Wouldn't it be awful to be alone tonight?
- 924. I need company.
- 925. That means me?
- 926. Your boyfriend hasn't written in a while.
- 927. I told him not to.
- 928. Anyway, it's hopeless.
- 929. No point waiting for me.
- 930. Why is it hopeless? Go and look for him.
- 931. If you don't, it really will be hopeless.
- 932. My dad will never give his consent.
- 933. If you were him,
what would you be doing tonight?
- 934. Why don't you ask him?
- 935. Have you got his phone number?
- 936. Hello?
- 937. I can't hear you.
- 938. Can you speak louder?
- 939. I'm already shouting!
- 940. I felt like Santa Claus that night.
- 941. I took her to the newspaper office
- 942. and let her make a long-distance call
to her boyfriend.
- 943. I was happy to see her so happy.
- 944. In fact, Zone 1224-1225
- 945. meant Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- 946. On the night before Christmas,
- 947. many people need a bit more warmth
- 948. That night, I didn't get that.
- 949. Maybe that was for the best.
- 950. 10 HOURS LATER
- 951. I realized that the reason
the android didn't answer
- 952. had nothing to do
with her mechanism wearing out,
- 953. nor that she didn't like him.
- 954. More likely,
she already loved someone else.
- 955. Soon after that, she went to Japan.
- 956. I gave her a copy of my story 2047.
- 957. I hope she read it.
- 958. 100 HOURS LATER
- 959. 1,000 HOURS LATER
- 960. Love is all a matter of timing.
- 961. It's no good meeting the right person
too soon or too late.
- 962. If I'd lived in another time or place...
- 963. My story might have had
a very different ending.
- 964. I have something to tell you.
- 965. Yes?
- 966. I'll be away for a couple of days.
- 967. Please pay this month's rent
to my daughter.
- 968. She's back?
- 969. Not Jing-Wen.
I mean pay my younger girl, Jie-Wen.
- 970. So your worries are over.
Going on holiday?
- 971. No, I have to go to Japan.
- 972. But you hate the Japanese.
Why go to Japan?
- 973. Jing-Wen is getting married.
- 974. Congratulations.
- 975. I wasn't sure whether to go or not.
- 976. Now I've decided.
I just want her to be happy.
- 977. When do you leave?
Can you help me choose a present?
- 978. No need for that.
- 979. She wanted me to ask you something.
- 980. What is it?
- 981. She read your story 2047.
She likes it a lot.
- 982. But she finds the ending too sad.
- 983. She wonders if you could change it.
- 984. I'll see.
- 985. 1 HOUR LATER
- 986. 10 HOURS LATER
- 987. 100 HOURS LATER
- 988. Taxi!
- 989. I'd also like the story
to have a happy ending,
- 990. but I don't know how to write it.
- 991. Some years back,
I had a happy ending in my grasp...
- 992. but I let it slip away.
- 993. Don't turn your back on me!
- 994. - Has he been here?
- What's it to you?
- 995. While I was depressed,
I ran into Lulu again.
- 996. She hadn't changed —
still intensely jealous.
- 997. You think he's yours?
I thought you knew him.
- 998. That's the way he is.
- 999. We've just been amusing ourselves.
- 1000. So control yourself, Missy.
- 1001. Watching her taught me something.
- 1002. When you don't take no for an answer,
- 1003. there is still a chance
you'll get what you want.
- 1004. 18 MONTHS LATER
- 1005. Hello. Is Mr. Chow there?
- 1006. I know I have no right to ask...
- 1007. but they say I need a guarantor.
- 1008. The man who recruits girls
for the nightclub says he knows you.
- 1009. Can you talk to him for me?
- 1010. No problem.
- 1011. I know the man you mean.
- 1012. I'll see him in a day or two.
- 1013. Why did you choose Singapore?
- 1014. I don't want to stay here any longer.
- 1015. I've been thinking about it for some time.
- 1016. I want to take a look at the place.
- 1017. Don't drink too much.
- 1018. You don't look well.
- 1019. Don't worry. It won't kill me.
- 1020. You know what?
- 1021. I came by here at Christmas.
- 1022. I thought I might run into you.
- 1023. Why didn't you call me first?
- 1024. I don't know.
- 1025. I came on impulse.
- 1026. I don't know why.
- 1027. That night,
I suddenly missed you so much.
- 1028. We're drinking pals.
- 1029. Of course you'd miss me.
- 1030. You're right.
- 1031. We're drinking pals.
- 1032. Let's go.
- 1033. - Waiter.
- 1034. - The check.
- 1035. Where are you staying?
- 1036. I rent a apartment, a rather small place.
- 1037. But it's not too bad.
- 1038. I'll see you back.
- 1039. No, thanks.
- 1040. I've just moved in. It's a mess.
- 1041. I'll invite you over once it's cleaned up.
- 1042. I'll go first.
- 1043. Seeing how much Bai Ling had changed,
- 1044. I was suddenly overcome
by a feeling of grief.
- 1045. Indeed, last Christmas,
I wasn't in Hong Kong.
- 1046. DECEMBER 24, 1969
- 1047. Have you seen Miss Su?
- 1048. Miss Su? Not for some time.
- 1049. Any idea where she might be?
- 1050. Probably back in Phnom Penh.
- 1051. I didn't want to spend Christmas 1969
in Hong Kong,
- 1052. so I visited Singapore
and went back to the casino.
- 1053. I waited for several days,
but Black Spider never turned up.
- 1054. No one knew where she was.
- 1055. Some thought
she'd gone back to Phnom Penh.
- 1056. Others thought she was dead.
- 1057. Ping and I
began working in Singapore in 1963...
- 1058. when my life lost most of its meaning.
- 1059. I started gambling every day.
- 1060. Those were hard times for me.
- 1061. Only one person came to my rescue,
a professional gambler.
- 1062. Some said she was a cheat.
- 1063. She always wore black.
They called her Black Spider.
- 1064. She kept her black glove on
365 days of the year.
- 1065. Nobody knew why for sure.
- 1066. Had her hand been chopped off
- 1067. Did the glove cover up a fake hand?
- 1068. Nobody really knew.
- 1069. Why do you wear that black glove?
- 1070. It's a habit.
- 1071. You're not from here.
- 1072. I'm from Phnom Penh.
- 1073. What a coincidence.
I was just in Cambodia.
- 1074. The place is in chaos.
What were you doing there?
- 1075. The newspaper sent me.
- 1076. You're a journalist?
- 1077. Not anymore.
- 1078. Why's that?
- 1079. They made some changes,
and now I'm a consultant —
- 1080. on half-pay, with next to nothing to do.
- 1081. So why are you spending your time
in the casino?
- 1082. I tried to win enough
to pay my way back to Hong Kong.
- 1083. You lost a lot?
- 1084. A few thousand dollars.
- 1085. You should never set foot in a casino
in a bad mood.
- 1086. You won't win.
- 1087. I didn't expect to win.
- 1088. I just hoped to get back my stake.
- 1089. If you have anything left...
- 1090. I can help you.
- 1091. On one condition.
- 1092. When you've got your money back,
you stop gambling.
- 1093. Why are you helping me?
- 1094. I take a commission.
- 1095. Ten percent of whatever I win for you.
- 1096. Think it over.
- 1097. What good to her
was her tiny commission on my winnings?
- 1098. After that, we went back to the casino
night after night.
- 1099. We'd eat at the stall
next to the railway station.
- 1100. She won back all the money I'd lost.
- 1101. Thank you.
- 1102. Don't thank me. It's yours.
- 1103. If you need me again tomorrow,
- 1104. I'll be waiting here after dinner.
- 1105. I still don't know your name.
- 1106. My family name is Su.
My full name is Su Li-Zhen.
- 1107. A few years ago,
I fell in love with another man's wife.
- 1108. Her name was also Su Li-Zhen.
- 1109. It was because of her
that I moved to Singapore.
- 1110. I never dreamed
I'd meet another Su Li-Zhen.
- 1111. I told her a lot
about the other Su Li-Zhen.
- 1112. At first, we kept it secret,
- 1113. but gossip soon spread.
- 1114. Later we moved into a hotel.
- 1115. We had Room 2046.
- 1116. When I think back,
the whole thing was like a dream.
- 1117. You loved her deeply?
- 1118. It's history.
- 1119. Let's change the subject.
- 1120. You, what did you do before?
- 1121. You want to know about me?
- 1122. Come on, we'll play high-low.
- 1123. If you win, I'll tell you everything.
- 1124. It struck me that her past was like
the hand she always kept gloved —
- 1125. a mystery with no solution.
- 1126. Of all the men I've known,
you've been the best to me.
- 1127. I'm already missing you.
- 1128. Why won't you come with me?
- 1129. Didn't you...
- 1130. promise not to ask?
- 1131. Hold me.
- 1132. It may be years before we meet again.
- 1133. That night, we saw each other
for the last time.
- 1134. I told her...
- 1135. Take care.
- 1136. Maybe one day you'll escape your past.
- 1137. If you do, look for me.
- 1138. Now it strikes me that what I told her
was actually meant for myself.
- 1139. In love, you can't bring on a substitute.
- 1140. I was looking for what I'd felt
with the other Su Li-Zhen.
- 1141. I didn't realize that myself...
- 1142. but I'm sure she did.
- 1143. WHEN THE PEONY BLOOMS,
- 1144. SHE STANDS TALL AND THEN GOES AWAY.
- 1145. DOES SHE MEAN NO OR YES?
- 1146. All for me? You want to get me drunk?
- 1147. I know you're a good drinker.
- 1148. Let's drink —
- 1149. as much as we can.
- 1150. If there's any left over,
- 1151. finish it next time you're here.
- 1152. There's one small thing
I have to ask of you.
- 1153. Here's some money. Please take it.
- 1154. What for?
- 1155. I know you borrowed money from a friend
for my plane ticket.
- 1156. Pay him back.
- 1157. If there's any left, pay my rent for me.
- 1158. Where did you get so much money?
- 1159. An old customer.
- 1160. He's always been fond of me.
- 1161. He treats me well.
- 1162. But he's too old for me,
so I never paid him much attention.
- 1163. I ran into him yesterday
while I was shopping.
- 1164. He insisted on buying me dinner.
- 1165. I needed money, so I went.
- 1166. After dinner, I told him I needed money.
- 1167. He said I could have as much as I wanted.
- 1168. I told him I needed $5,000.
- 1169. At first,
I planned to save it for Singapore.
- 1170. But I'm using it now.
- 1171. Don't be silly.
- 1172. You're still young.
You have great prospects.
- 1173. I borrowed the money from my friends.
- 1174. They don't need it back yet.
- 1175. Keep this for yourself.
- 1176. Pay me back later. There's no rush.
- 1177. Why are you so kind to me?
- 1178. Perhaps it's fate.
- 1179. Too bad it didn't last.
- 1180. I wish it could have gone on longer.
- 1181. Don't be like this.
- 1182. Let me buy you dinner tonight.
- 1183. - Waiter, the check.
- 1184. No, let me.
- 1185. You're too kind.
- 1186. You've spent enough time and money
on me already.
- 1187. I don't want to owe you too much.
- 1188. I need to make a phone call.
- 1189. Please settle the check. I'll be outside.
- 1190. Will you come in?
- 1191. No, thanks.
- 1192. Get some rest.
- 1193. I'll see you to the airport tomorrow.
- 1194. Please don't.
- 1195. I'll be terribly sad if you're there.
- 1196. Take good care of yourself.
- 1197. Why can't it be like it was before?
- 1198. Please don't go.
- 1199. Stay with me tonight.
- 1200. Let me borrow you.
- 1201. Do you remember?
- 1202. You once asked me
if there was anything I wouldn't lend.
- 1203. I've given it a lot of thought.
- 1204. And now I know.
- 1205. There is one thing...
- 1206. I'll never lend to anyone.
- 1207. As I recall, that was the very last time
we saw each other.
- 1208. I haven't seen her since that night.
- 1209. Why can't it be like it was before?
- 1210. HE DIDN'T TURN BACK.
- 1211. IT WAS AS IF HE'D BOARDED
- 1212. THROUGH THE UNFATHOMABLE NIGHT.
- 1213. Everyone who goes to 2046
has the same intention.
- 1214. They want to recapture lost memories.
- 1215. Because in 2046, nothing ever changes.
- 1216. But nobody really knows
if that's true or not...
- 1217. because nobody has ever come back.
- 1218. Written, directed and produced by
- 1219. Executive Producers
CHAN YE CHENG, REN ZHONGLUN
- 1220. Producers
REN ZHONGLUN, ZHU YONGDE
- 1221. Co-producers
JACKY PANG YEE WAH, ZHUO WU
- 1222. Associate Producers
ZHONG ZHENG, FU WEN XIA, LI XIAO JUN
- 1223. Co-production by
- 1224. Production Design by
- 1225. Cinematography by CHRISTOPHER DOYLE
LAI YIU FAI, KWAN PUN LEUNG
- 1226. Original Music by
- 1227. Edited by WILLIAM CHANG SUK PING
- 1228. Cast
- 1229. WANG SHAN, SIU PING LAM
KONG TAO HOI, CHEUNG YUI LING
- 1230. NG TING YIP, MIAO FEI LIN
CHING SIU LUNG, HONG WAH
- 1231. Hong Kong has overcome many challenges
to arrive at the current situation.
- 1232. Many buildings have been destroyed...
- 1233. Hong Kong is going through
an economic stagnation...
- 1234. Last night, the government announced
that it will be electing...