- 1. Okay, here we go.
- 2. Ready, push!
- 3. Yes! That's the last one!
- 4. I don't believe it.
- 5. It really was possible.
- 6. Together, we turned an
entire forest into a farm.
- 7. Yeah, I think it took more than three years.
- 8. If only all this land were ours.
- 9. That's one thing a slave can't have.
- 10. We worked hard. We're nearly there.
- 11. Yeah. The other day, Pater told me something.
- 12. We'll be able to buy our freedom with the
next harvest from this cleared land.
- 13. We'll get some change back, too.
- 14. I see.
- 15. Einar, what are you going to do
once you're a free man?
- 16. I don't know. Even if I went back to my homeland,
there's no family waiting for me.
- 17. And besides...
- 18. You're worried about Arnheid.
- 19. Yeah, I feel awkward about it.
- 20. If only Arnheid could be free, too.
- 21. Then I'd feel better.
- 22. The master has no intention
of letting her go.
- 23. What about you, Thorfinn?
- 24. Will you go back to Iceland?
- 25. Yeah. I think so. Probably.
- 26. Seriously? You don't seem sure
about your plans.
- 27. Neither do you.
- 28. Good grief. It's strange, isn't it?
- 29. Freedom's just around the corner,
and we're acting like this.
- 30. There is something I'd like to try to do.
- 31. Really? What is it?
- 32. Well, there's a lot I'm still not sure about.
- 33. What do you think, Einar?
- 34. Would it be possible to rid the
world of war and slavery?
- 35. Well... that would be like a dream.
- 36. Ah, you've finally felled the last tree.
- 37. Well done, both of you.
- 38. Master!
- 39. Well? Do you think you'll be able
to till the soil in time for planting?
- 40. Yes, probably, if we hurry.
- 41. I see, I see. All right.
Then I'll give you a little discount.
- 42. Once you're done sowing the seeds,
the two of you will be free.
- 43. You've worked hard, Thorfinn, Einar.
- 44. What? You don't seem that happy.
- 45. Huh? What?
- 46. No! Wait, no!
- 47. All right!
- 48. Thorfinn, we finally did it!
- 49. Y-Yeah!
- 50. Wait, sorry. Don't celebrate yet.
- 51. What?
- 52. You'll have to wait until after I return.
- 53. You're going somewhere?
- 54. Yes. By the way,
have you seen the old master?
- 55. He hasn't been this way.
- 56. I see. Maybe he's on his farm.
- 57. Well, you'll do.
- 58. If you see him, give him this message.
- 59. Tell him I've gone to the palace
in Jelling to visit King Harald.
- 60. I'm sure I'll be back in time
for planting, though.
- 61. Make sure you till the soil by then.
- 62. Yes, sir.
- 63. Safe travels.
- 64. Oh, right.
- 65. How would you like to continue working
for me as my retainers once you're free?
- 66. I'd gladly welcome a couple of
hard workers like you.
- 67. Give it some thought.
- 68. Excuse me, Your Majesty.
- 69. Our ship will be arriving in Jelling shortly.
- 70. Please wake up, King Canute.
- 71. Your Majesty, what are you doing out here?
- 72. Our horses will be ready soon.
- 73. Please wait inside your cabin.
- 74. Here is fine.
- 75. I haven't been back home in a while.
- 76. I want to feel the breeze.
- 77. Your Majesty.
- 78. I am delighted to see you've
safely returned from England.
- 79. Thank you. Wulf, how is my brother doing?
- 80. My liege.
- 81. King Harald is not well.
- 82. His pain has worsened over the past month.
- 83. He's no longer capable of speaking.
- 84. I see. How much longer does he have?
- 85. According to those treating him,
these next few days will be critical.
- 86. Very well. Thank you for
watching over him in my place.
- 87. Yes, Your Majesty.
- 88. Ouch.
- 89. I won again.
- 90. That ball game they're playing...
- 91. Are you okay?
- 92. Again.
- 93. Don't hurt yourself.
- 94. My brother was quite good at it
when we were children.
- 95. Darn you.
- 96. He occasionally played with me.
- 97. Harald, hit it again.
- 98. Okay. Watch the ball closely, Canute.
- 99. Those within the palace
feuded amongst themselves
- 100. over which of us would succeed our father,
- 101. but my brother never paid
any heed to it himself.
- 102. Ready?
- 103. Here it comes.
- 104. Your Highness!
- 105. Ragnar...
- 106. I'm okay.
- 107. I don't believe it.
- 108. See? He's tougher than you think.
- 109. You're a little too overprotective,
you know. You should—
- 110. Impressive, Your Highness.
- 111. I knew you could do it.
- 112. Are you certain you're not hurt?
- 113. Yeah. Thanks, Ragnar.
- 114. But it's hard to move when
I'm wearing so many layers.
- 115. I'm hot, too. Can I take these off?
- 116. No.
- 117. A warrior must be properly equipped.
- 118. Are you listening, Your Highness?
- 119. Letting your guard down for even
a moment can prove fatal.
- 120. He was a strong, kind man.
- 121. Even I once...
- 122. My brother helped me often.
- 123. I must thank him.
- 124. Hup!
- 125. Play somewhere else, children.
- 126. Sorry.
- 127. Don't hit it so hard, Asta.
- 128. Hmph. You're just slow.
- 129. Unbelievable. Children are so carefree.
- 130. What did you say?
- 131. Now you're mad.
- 132. What is the matter, Your Majesty?
- 133. It's nothing.
- 134. Sweyn's sons inherited their own
respective territories from their father.
- 135. The older brother Harald inherited Denmark,
- 136. and the younger brother Canute
- 137. Their relationship was good.
- 138. During Canute's conquest of England,
- 139. his brother Harald directly supported him
by sending a fleets of ships.
- 140. However...
- 141. Shortly after Canute became
King of England, Harald fell ill.
- 142. Harald had no heirs.
- 143. Brother Canute!
- 144. You really did come to Jelling.
- 145. Address me as "Your Majesty," Estrid.
- 146. Your visit is so sudden. I was surprised.
- 147. It's good to see you again, King Harald.
- 148. Brother Harald,
Brother Canute has come to visit you.
- 149. Can you tell he's here?
- 150. It's fine. You don't have to wake him.
- 151. I'll be staying here a while.
- 152. I'll speak to His Majesty
when he's feeling better.
- 153. Canute...
- 154. King Harald, I am here.
- 155. Please rest.
- 156. You needn't worry about your kingdom.
- 157. I've been waiting for you.
- 158. Denmark...
- 159. Denmark is yours.
- 160. Don't be absurd, King Harald.
- 161. Get well soon so we can play ball again.
- 162. You've got some guts, Canute.
- 163. I'm impressed you can lie about that
like you don't know what's going on.
- 164. Brother?
- 165. You're visiting the man
you poisoned yourself?
- 166. What a farce. What will you
accomplish by doing that?
- 167. Harald was friendly to you.
- 168. Why did you need to kill him?
- 169. You could've ruled the world together.
- 170. You didn't do it for the sake of
peace and prosperity.
- 171. Ambition now rests within your heart.
- 172. The ambition to rule as
king of all the North Sea.
- 173. That is the curse. The crown's curse.
- 174. None can escape it.
- 175. By donning the two crowns
of Denmark and England,
- 176. you will suffer twice as much as I did.
- 177. Brother!
- 178. What's wrong? You suddenly went into a daze.
- 179. Have you fallen ill, too?
- 180. I'm fine. I just felt a little dizzy.
- 181. Prepare a bedchamber.
- 182. His Majesty is tired from
his long voyage at sea.
- 183. What is it?
- 184. Lady Estrid instructed me
to bring you something to drink.
- 185. Where did it come from?
- 186. What? Where is it from?
- 187. I don't need any. I'm not thirsty.
- 188. You fear being poisoned
because you poison others.
- 189. Isn't that right, Canute?
- 190. It was rather mischievous of you to appear
in the middle of the afternoon, King Sweyn.
- 191. If you can see me during the day,
then the curse must be growing stronger.
- 192. Is he talking to himself?
- 193. How long are you going to
keep standing there?
- 194. I need nothing from you. Leave.
- 195. Y-Yes, Your Majesty!
- 196. Uniting the nation is
essential to creating a utopia.
- 197. Two kings would eventually cause trouble.
- 198. King Harald's death is necessary.
- 199. I'm surprised.
- 200. You've come to think
like a real king, Canute.
- 201. What are you laughing about?
- 202. King Sweyn, I once hated you
and wished for your death.
- 203. But now?
- 204. You're the only one I can speak to frankly.
- 205. Let us be friends,
- 206. as befits two cursed men.
- 207. Brother, again!
- 208. Okay.
- 209. Here it comes, Canute.
- 210. Okay.
- 211. Harald.
- 212. We're holding a war council. Join us.
- 213. Yes, Father.
- 214. Sorry, Canute.
- 215. We'll continue another time.
- 216. Thank you, Brother.
- 217. Grow up strong, Canute.
- 218. Stronger than me and father.
- 219. Got it?
- 220. Yes.
- 221. Come, Your Highness.
I'll be your next opponent.
- 222. What? Can you even play, Ragnar?
- 223. How dare you.
- 224. I was once feared as Gullinbursti of the Lake,
and for seven consecutive years...
- 225. Is this all there is to it?
- 226. This is nothing.
- 227. "Kings and Swords."