- 1. Where is she?
- 2. We've never had to wait this long
for the librarian.
- 3. I know! She's usually right here.
- 4. Or she pops up from behind,
- 5. with a book on the Ahlberg Family
you didn't know existed.
- 6. - Oh.
- Maybe she's busy re-shelving.
- 7. Oh, look! Her cart.
- 8. She never lets it pile up like that.
- 9. Something weird
is definitely going on here.
- 10. Come on.
- 11. She must have dropped this.
- 12. But now where has she gone?
- 13. Hm.
- 14. Interesting.
- 15. The secret room has a secret room?
- 16. Apparently so.
- 17. These spell books are old.
- 18. Really old!
- 19. I kind of feel bad
that David is missing out on this.
- 20. You know he would have turned back
about five secret staircases ago.
- 21. Whoa!
- 22. Who are they?
- 23. Isn't it obvious? They're witches.
- 24. This must be The Witches' Tower!
- 25. So cool!
- 26. Legends and rumors always place it
out in the Huldrawood somewhere,
- 27. but nobody's ever been able to find it.
- 28. Because it was underneath
the library all along!
- 29. The Witches' Tower.
- 30. That means the Librarian must be a witch!
- 31. She's definitely a witch. Oh!
- 32. I assume your arrival indicates
that at long last,
- 33. you'll reshelve the missing book,
The Skeleton Whisperer by Petra Pakulski.
- 34. Almost.
- 35. I don't actually have the book yet.
- 36. You're running out of time, dear!
- 37. It's been 29 years, 364 days…
- 38. And 22 hours!
- 39. Unacceptable, a book checked out
for so long.
- 40. I know, but—
- 41. No buts.
- 42. But, really, shouldn't the borrower
- 43. Are you not the keeper of books?
- 44. I am. I am the keeper.
- 45. We'd hoped it wouldn't come to this,
but as you know,
- 46. in the case of a book overdue by 30 years,
- 47. responsibility passes
from the borrower to the keeper.
- 48. "Who for the crime of mislaying sensitive
and potentially dangerous magical texts—"
- 49. Yeah, yeah. Is to be cast immediately
into the Void of No Return.
- 50. Oh, come on.
- 51. We don't do that kind of thing anymore.
- 52. Lloyd.
- 53. We do do that kind of thing anymore.
- 54. And if the book's not returned
in the next two hours, then—
- 55. Two hours? I thought—
- 56. Time doesn't lie, dearie.
- 57. Clock's tick, tick, ticking.
- 58. I take it you actually know
who has the book.
- 59. Yes. Yes, look, I've got the, uh…
- 60. Well, I, I did have the card somewhere
but it doesn't, uh…
- 61. Pilkvist! It says M. Pilkvist.
- 62. Thanks.
- 63. Do you know these urchins?
- 64. Sort of.
- 65. This is highly irregular.
- 66. Nonwitches tainting our sacred halls!
- 67. Actually, I'm technically a witch.
- 68. I summoned two enchanted Tide Mice so…
- 69. And nearly stole two souls by accident.
I remember now.
- 70. One botched spell does not a witch make.
- 71. It takes years of study and practice.
- 72. And attention to detail
and fondness for research.
- 73. And as I recall, you couldn't figure out
how to fix your mistake.
- 74. Well, no. Frida figured that out but—
- 75. Enough of this!
- 76. Throw them all in the void
and be done with it!
- 77. Nobody is going in the void!
- 78. I am going to get that book back
and these two are going to help me. Right?
- 79. - Mm-hm.
- 80. Very well.
- 81. Two hours!
- 82. Good luck.
- 83. Thanks.
- 84. You'll need it where you're going.
- 85. You shouldn't have come here.
- 86. This was very stupid of you.
- 87. Hey, we found that card you dropped.
- 88. - We saved you.
- I didn't need that thing.
- 89. I've known full well who's got that book
for a long time.
- 90. Then why didn't you collect it?
- 91. Hilda, look.
- 92. They're all picture of witches
with their familiars.
- 93. You and Twig would fit in
pretty well up there, don't you think?
- 94. Hm.
- 95. Okay, we're here.
- 96. "Arch-Sorceress Matilda Pilqvist.
- 97. Enchanter of Livelihoods,
- 98. Grand Alchemist of the Dark Communion
- 99. First Bloodsister of the Order
of the Black Candle,
- 100. - tormentor of the—"
- Yeah, okay, we get it.
- 101. She's accomplished and scary.
- 102. Arch-Sorceress Pilqvist
isn't really one for visitors.
- 103. If you want to speak with her,
- 104. you have to get through this labyrinth
kind of a thing.
- 105. Cool!
- 106. A witch's maze.
- 107. Have you ever been through this labyrinth?
- 108. No.
- 109. Uh, do you know anyone
who's been through it before?
- 110. No.
- 111. Look at this place.
- 112. Huh.
- 113. We have to open this. Obviously.
- 114. Look out!
- 115. Thanks!
- 116. Step aside, ladies.
- 117. - I've got this.
- Where did you get that?
- 118. This should be entertaining.
- 119. Easy now…
- 120. That felt cool.
- 121. - Uh, Hilda?
- 122. I think the plant must have
the key to the door.
- 123. We just need to defeat it.
- 124. I don't think that…
- 125. Ah!
- 126. Hi-yah!
- 127. Oh!
- 128. Can I borrow this?
- 129. Hey, what are you doing?
- 130. Frida!
- 131. Come on!
- 132. How did you know how to do that?
- 133. I noticed a pattern of interlocking keys
engraved on the handle. Look.
- 134. I also noticed you weren't really
getting anywhere with the hacking.
- 135. Very well observed.
- 136. Now let's keep moving.
- 137. Maybe we leave this behind.
- 138. How did you know
that it wouldn't swallow us?
- 139. Well, for one thing, if it was carnivorous
it would have been eating the other fish.
- 140. Well, it got us safely across.
- 141. Thanks, Frida. Oh!
- 142. You are a witch, aren't you?
- 143. Couldn't you use magic once in a while
to help out?
- 144. - Hilda!
- 145. Being a witch
is a lot more about knowledge
- 146. and knowing the true shape of things
- 147. than it is about spells and powers.
- 148. Well, that's really useful.
- 149. We're here.
- 150. We are definitely about to be attacked
- 151. by some kind of living snowman
or ice monster.
- 152. Close enough. Any ideas, Frida?
- 153. Throw snowballs at him?
- 154. We don't have time for this.
- 155. You girls go ahead and get the book
while I hold him off.
- 156. On our own?
- 157. You'll be fine.
- 158. Will you?
- 159. Just meet me back here as soon as you can.
- 160. I'll handle this.
- 161. Huh?
- 162. This isn't expected.
- 163. We have visitors!
- 164. Are you Arch-Sorceress Matilda Pilqvist?
- 165. Oh, please, call me Tildy.
- 166. Would you like some tea?
- 167. We've got to find that book.
- 168. I'm not sure we have time for tea.
- 169. There's always time for tea!
- 170. Now, what are your names?
- 171. Hilda, and this is Frida.
- 172. Hilda?
- 173. Have we met before?
- 174. I, um, rang your doorbell once.
- 175. I remember your adorable pet.
- 176. Oh, he's more than a pet, dear.
- 177. He's my familiar.
- 178. Um, what are you…
- 179. I'm looking for my kettle.
- 180. I find it's always easier
to really see things
- 181. when you're looking down the sights
of your favorite crossbow.
- 182. If you're going to look for something,
- 183. is there any chance you could look
for a certain library book
- 184. that you borrowed exactly 29 years,
364 days, 23 hours, and 41 minutes ago?
- 185. Oh! Did those three fussbudgets
send you here to make me return a book?
- 186. Uh, we sort of volunteered, but yes.
- 187. We're here to get
The Skeleton Whisperer by Petra Pakulski.
- 188. I haven't seen that book in years.
- 189. But you tell them I'll find it
and return it when I'm good and ready.
- 190. I work on Tildy time.
- 191. But if we don't return it on their time,
- 192. they're going to banish the librarian
to the Void of No Return.
- 193. And us, possibly.
- 194. Where is this librarian you speak of?
- 195. She stayed behind to fight
your flame monster.
- 196. Flame monster?
- 197. You mean Eldrid?
- 198. Why is she fighting him?
- 199. Because he's the final guardian
of your maze, right?
- 200. He's not one of my monsters.
He's a landscaper!
- 201. He's doing some work on my ice garden.
- 202. Kaisa?
- 203. Tildy.
- 204. You know each other?
- 205. Know each other?
- 206. Kaisa was my student.
- 207. A very promising one at that.
- 208. Why wouldn't you come in
and say hello, dear?
- 209. I, uh…
- 210. I hate to spoil this reunion
but we're really running out of time here.
- 211. We need to find this book!
- 212. Uh, is there a finding spell we can use?
- 213. A brilliant idea.
- 214. Kaisa?
- 215. I think maybe you should do it.
- 216. The magic will be much more effective
if it comes from you.
- 217. It's your problem to solve after all.
- 218. I can't.
- 219. That's why I didn't come in.
- 220. Why I've been putting off
getting that book from you.
- 221. I didn't want you to know that I'm…
- 222. That I'm not the witch
you taught me to be.
- 223. That I'm just… Just a…
- 224. A librarian?
- 225. Mm.
- 226. Kaisa, dear.
- 227. Things never turn out
quite how you expect.
- 228. You're the keeper of the books.
- 229. And that's a wonderful surprise.
- 230. Tildy, is there any chance your familiar
might have the book?
- 231. Cornelius?
- 232. What's that in your mouth?
- 233. It's here!
- 234. The Skeleton Whisperer.
- 235. And we've got a minute to spare.
- 236. Then let's return that book.
- 237. - Good gracious!
- 238. We did it! We got the book.
- 239. I'm sorry.
- 240. It looks like you've missed the deadline
by 1 minute and 52 seconds.
- 241. - What?
- 242. Sorry, dear.
- 243. Time can get a bit messy
when you translocate like that.
- 244. Lloyd, open the void!
- 245. No!
- 246. Oh, come on, now.
- 247. Nobody's going to the Void of No Return
over a library book.
- 248. Aren't you a little bit impressed
- 249. that they managed to make it through
- 250. when so many seasoned witches have failed?
- 251. I admit it's a bit impressive.
- 252. They solved my puzzles,
met my monsters,
- 253. recovered your book,
- 254. and convinced me to return it.
- 255. If they're a couple of minutes late
after all of that, so what?
- 256. Uh, quick question. Are they in or out?
- 257. I shouldn't leave this open too long.
- 258. No! This doesn't change anything.
- 259. Abigail, come now.
- 260. There's no reason
to be stubborn about this.
- 261. This isn't about stubbornness
or being a stickler for the rules.
- 262. It's been too long.
- 263. Far too long.
- 264. There are dark forces beneath us
that must be kept at bay.
- 265. You all know this.
- 266. Uh, excuse me!
- 267. The void needs to be fed!
- 268. And it's very grouchy when it's hungry.
- 269. Use some magic to stop us falling!
- 270. I can't!
- 271. You're a witch!
There's got to be something you can do!
- 272. Please!
- 273. Okay, that's good.
- 274. But we're still falling.
- 275. There's a spell I can cast
but I don't remember the incantation.
- 276. I need a book.
- 277. - Oh!
- 278. You always find the right book for us
when we need it.
- 279. We can get one.
- 280. Uh, "astral visions"?
- 281. "Physiognomy, divination, fashion"?
- 282. "Blood and sacrifice, celestial medicine,
- 283. That one!
- 284. It's too far away!
- 285. Okay. Just tell me which book to get.
- 286. Uh, 759.94.
- 287. Ethereal Structures
and their Applications.
- 288. Perfect!
- 289. I see it!
- 290. Catch!
- 291. You did it!
- 292. I did, but I—
- 293. I can only hold it
while I'm doing the incantation!
- 294. We need another plan.
- 295. I think I've got one.
- 296. Come on!
- 297. She can't move!
- 298. Uh, all right stay with her.
- 299. I'll be right back.
- 300. Okay.
- 301. Kaisa!
- 302. Frida!
- 303. Catch!
- 304. Go crazy!
- 305. Ah!
- 306. Very clever.
- 307. Thanks.
- 308. So, do we need to find another spell book
to get us back up there?
- 309. Nope. I think I've got this one.
- 310. Everybody, stay still.
- 311. What a wonderful demonstration
- 312. You made it out.
- 313. Thank goodness!
- 314. Yep. And that thing down there
shouldn't go hungry for some time.
- 315. Assuming it likes vegetables.
- 316. All this aside,
- 317. there's still the trespassing misdemeanor
for the nonwitches to deal with.
- 318. Oh, you insufferable nitpickers.
- 319. I waive the charges.
- 320. Besides, surely you see that one of them
is a natural witch.
- 321. Or she will be one day, as long as
the three of you don't put her off.
- 322. So, what do you say, Frida?
- 323. What? Me?
- 324. But I don't do magic.
- 325. No, but you have what it takes to learn.
- 326. And you,
- 327. you've got the spirit to be
an invaluable familiar to Frida.
- 328. Hm. I can do that.
- 329. So cool! I'm going to learn magic!
- 330. But who's going to teach the girl?
- 331. I will.
- 332. Just what we need. A Tildy in training.
- 333. I heard that.
- 334. But first, tea and board games
back at my place.
- 335. Eldrid is burning for a rematch.