- 1. I still don't totally understand
this Trolberg Winter Festival.
- 2. So we're going to the market
to sell broth for the Sparrow Scouts.
- 3. That's right.
- 4. Where there's a special tree.
- 5. The Sonstansil Tree.
- 6. It only blooms at night. It's very rare.
- 7. So when it does, we have a huge party.
- 8. You're going to love it, Hilda.
- 9. But the more important part
is the gift-sharing.
- 10. We get pretty good tips
selling the Sparrow Scout veggie broth,
- 11. so you can get
your mom something really cool.
- 12. Like a crossbow.
- 13. Maybe not that
but I would like find a nice gift for Mom.
- 14. I know I've been
trying her patience lately.
- 15. Is that part
of the Winter Festival as well?
- 16. Hmm. Not that I know of.
- 17. I'm certain
that house wasn't there yesterday.
- 18. - We should take a look.
- But the broth! And the tips!
- 19. Oh…
- 20. It sounds like a party.
- 21. One we're not invited to, Hilda.
- 22. If they didn't want us to come in,
they should have locked the door.
- 23. - Thirty-one, thirty-two, thirty-three…
- Thirty-one, thirty-two, thirty-three…
- 24. We've been made, lads. Scatter!
- 25. Don't worry, we mean you no harm.
- 26. We heard a party
- 27. and we wanted to ask you
if you were hungry.
- 28. We're selling broth.
- 29. We want to ask you something.
- 30. Are you naughty kids?
- 31. - No.
- 32. - I don't think so.
- Told you.
- 33. You shouldn't sneak up on people…
- 34. - Sorry, force of habit.
- 35. We've never noticed this house before.
- 36. Who are you guys?
- 37. I'm Kertasnikir but you can call me Kert.
- 38. These grumpy fellas and I
are the 13 Yule Lads.
- 39. But there's only seven of you.
- 40. We work in shifts.
- 41. What sort of work?
- 42. We find kids that are…
- 43. naughty.
- 44. What do you want with naughty kids?
- 45. What's with all the questions?
- 46. She's a naturally curious person.
- 47. To a fault…
- 48. It's fine, Pvorusleikir.
They're good kids, we can tell them.
- 49. Not until they're been triple-checked.
- 50. Have you ever thrown rocks
- 51. and/or heavy sticks
at your neighbor's window?
- 52. Or swiped a shilling
from your mom's purse?
- 53. Or you ever whisper "I hate you"
- 54. in the ear
of your grandma's tallest sheep?
- 55. That's oddly specific.
- 56. But no.
- 57. I don't think
we've done any of those things.
- 58. Okay, so here's the story…
- 59. But you did bring
a troll rock into the city, Hilda.
- 60. David, that was you.
- 61. Oh, yeah.
All worked out in the end though.
- 62. No harm done.
- 63. Anyway, we're in charge
of making sure kids get candy
- 64. on the morning
after the Sonstansil Tree blooms.
- 65. But there's not enough candy
for every child
- 66. so we skip the ones who are naughty.
- 67. Oh, thank goodness.
- 68. If you're good kids like you say,
- 69. then how about you prove it
by spotting the naughty kids for us?
- 70. I don't know.
- 71. I don't feel right
judging people like that.
- 72. Hilda?
- 73. I'm sorry, but we're going to be late.
- 74. We're on our way
to the Trolberg Winter Festival.
- 75. Would you like to come along?
- 76. Will there be naughty kids?
- 77. All the kids in Trolberg will be there
but I can't promise any are naughty.
- 78. But I can promise
there will be loads of amazing food!
- 79. Here we go.
- 80. Oops. Sorry boys, shift change.
- 81. - Sorry.
- 82. Why don't you get to rest like the others?
- 83. Oh, I was the first lad.
- 84. It's kind of like
being the oldest brother.
- 85. Got to look out for the young ones.
- 86. Hey!
- 87. Knock it off, lads, we've got work to do.
- 88. Split up and look
for any naughties, ne'er-do-wells,
- 89. and any no good nicks nicking knickknacks.
- 90. Wow. Beautiful. My mom would love this.
- 91. Oh, dear.
- 92. Tips, remember?
- 93. - Scram, you little rat!
- 94. Steer clear of that blue-haired girl,
she's a witch in sheep's clothing.
- 95. I'm not afraid of her.
- 96. - Aw!
- You ought to be!
- 97. We'll see who's afraid.
- 98. Ba-ba.
- 99. Roll up! Roll up!
- 100. Get your hot veggie broth here!
- 101. Hot broth! The secret ingredient is…
- 102. I was going to say love.
- 103. Oh, sorry.
- 104. - Hmm…
- 105. Look, Hilda!
- 106. There's plenty here
for your mom's present.
- 107. That's the power
of the Sparrow Scout vegetable broth.
- 108. Careful, Twig, it's still hot.
- 109. No luck with the naughties?
- 110. Not a one. They hide their tracks well.
We might have to do double shift, lads.
- 111. You're not going to finish this, are you?
- 112. Uh… No?
- 113. Just between you and me,
I think your candle's gone bad.
- 114. Hmm. Would you like to try
some vegetable broth instead?
- 115. I don't know.
- 116. I don't usually trust food
that isn't candle-based.
- 117. Just try it. It's on me.
- 118. Oh, my, my, my! That is delightful.
- 119. It's splendifurous,
- 120. What's in it?
- 121. - Love.
- No, no, seriously.
- 122. Chopped garlic, a pinch…
- 123. - David!
- 124. Secret recipe, eh? Fair enough.
- 125. We'll take 12 bowls, 6 to go.
- 126. Great. That'll be 22.50.
- 127. Oh, well, the thing about that is…
- 128. Uh, I also don't have anything
in my boots.
- 129. Or my hat.
- 130. The lining of my coat is devoid of cash.
- 131. - And what's this behind your ear?
- 132. Nothing.
- 133. Fine. We'll give it to you.
- 134. Oh, very kind of you.
Naughties, you are not.
- 135. But, Hilda!
- 136. We have all day tomorrow
to make more tips.
- 137. Careful, it's hot.
- 138. - Ow!
- 139. I landed it right in the bowl!
- 140. Get down! We're under attack!
- 141. If you want naughty, you've just got it.
- 142. Trevor's the worst.
- 143. Is that so?
- 144. Maybe not the worst,
but he does a lot of mean things.
- 145. - Oh, no!
- The broth!
- 146. Case in point.
- 147. He must get it from his mom.
- 148. She's Queen Naughty.
- 149. - Adults can be naughty?
- Why not?
- 150. - Sometimes.
- 151. This is the best news I've heard in years!
- 152. Well, he was a great help.
- 153. We've got to stand up to Trevor
or he'll never give us peace.
- 154. Stop it, Trevor!
- 155. Oh, we're the Sparrow Scouts.
- 156. Come buy our boring broth
made of dirty roots and mold.
- 157. Hey! Mushrooms are a fungus, not a mold!
- 158. - Ugh.
- 159. I've been hit!
- 160. Perhaps that was not the best plan.
- 161. Fire away!
- 162. Surprise!
- 163. Run for it!
- 164. Over here!
- 165. You naughty savages.
- 166. Looks like the naughty kids
get snowballs instead of candy.
- 167. Serves them right.
- 168. So much for getting Mom's present.
- 169. Hilda, can you please stop
leaving used tea bags on the counter?
- 170. They stain the tile.
- 171. Sorry, Mom. Won't happen again.
- 172. That's what you said last time.
- 173. She's right, you know.
- 174. What? That it stains the tile?
- 175. That you leave a mess.
- 176. Or messes. Plural.
- 177. You don't see me
leaving stuff laying around.
- 178. That's because you take everything.
- 179. At least no one has to clean up after him.
- 180. I get so tired of watching
your poor mom scrub the counters
- 181. that I have to take a nap.
- 182. Good night, Hilda.
- 183. Good night, Mom.
- 184. I'm sorry about
all the mess around the house.
- 185. I'll be better about
cleaning up after myself. Really.
- 186. That's good.
- 187. Because if you aren't, Gryla will get you.
- 188. Who?
- 189. I'm only joking.
- 190. It's an old winter tale about an ogre
who comes after naughty children
- 191. on the night
the Sonstansil Tree lights up.
- 192. Do you think I'm naughty?
- 193. Of course not, sweetheart.
- 194. You're a good girl.
- 195. Sure, you do the wrong thing sometimes,
but we all do.
- 196. That doesn't make us bad people.
- 197. It just makes us people.
- 198. Hmm. So tell me more
about this Gryla ogre.
- 199. She's an ogress of sorts.
- 200. No one knows exactly where she lives
- 201. and few have ever seen her face,
- 202. but legend says
she sniffs out naughty children
- 203. and she turns them into stew.
- 204. That's terrifying!
- 205. Tell me more.
- 206. It's late.
- 207. But I'll find my old book of winter tales
and show you tomorrow.
- 208. Get some sleep.
- 209. Trevor?
- 210. What have I told you about
screaming in the middle of the night?
- 211. Aha! See?
- 212. You left a tea bag on the counter too.
- 213. - That's a double standard.
- Hilda, me doing it once isn't the same
- 214. as you doing it dozens of times.
- 215. - Dozens?
- Hundreds, even.
- 216. According to my ledger.
- 217. Long night?
- 218. They're all long.
- 219. The other lads are still sleeping.
- 220. Bums, they are.
- 221. Hey. Trevor's mom's stall is closed.
- 222. Hmm… That's odd.
- 223. I guess that means Trevor won't be here
to pelt us with snowballs again.
- 224. Hey, our tips. Hilda!
- 225. There might be
enough in here for that gift.
- 226. Oh, you don't have to buy me anything.
- 227. It's for my mom.
- 228. I want to give her something nice
even though she irks me sometimes.
- 229. Like this morning…
- 230. Oh. She's naughty?
- 231. It more that she gets mad at me
- 232. for doing the same things
she does sometimes.
- 233. It's confusing, but it's not…
- 234. Greetings, my fellow Trolbergians.
- 235. According to our latest
- 236. we expect a full bloom
within the next 24 hours.
- 237. We'll see you all back here for the party.
- 238. - Hooray!
- 239. I'm so excited
to see all those flowers bloom.
- 240. There you go.
- 241. Hmm. Almost enough for that snow globe.
- 242. Where did Kert go off to?
- 243. - What's this?
- It's a present for Mom.
- 244. I was hoping
to have enough to get her the real thing
- 245. but, if not, this will have to do.
- 246. I'm sure she'll love it either way.
- 247. Hilda, darling,
I found that story about Gryla for you.
- 248. Be out in a minute, Mom!
- 249. Help me hide this.
- 250. Mom? Mom, is everything okay?
- 251. Mom?
- 252. Oh, no!
- 253. Mom?
- 254. She wouldn't just leave.
- 255. What is it, Twig?
- 256. Is that Kertasnikir?
- 257. "According to legend,
the Yule Lads work for the ogress Gryla.
- 258. All year long,
they work to prepare
- 259. for when she awakes
from her seasons-long slumber.
- 260. In order to satisfy her hunger,
and not become the meal themselves,
- 261. they wait until just before she wakes
- 262. to gather
the main ingredient for her grand feast.
- 263. Naughty children."
- 264. Kert was lying!
- 265. And now he's got my mom
and probably Trevor too.
- 266. Oh, no, no, this is all my fault.
- 267. You know these lads?
- 268. Yes. And I think I know
where we can find them.
- 269. Tontu, we need to hurry.
- 270. We'll get Frida and David on the way.
- 271. Oh, you promised we wouldn't use
the Nowhere Space for everyday travel.
- 272. Is it every day that my mom
would be captured by a bunch of hooligans
- 273. so she can be fed to an ogre?
- 274. It's not far from an average day.
- 275. Well, I'll, um… I'll stay here and,
you know, check for stray tea bags.
- 276. Let me go! Let me go!
- 277. Well done, lads. This should be enough.
- 278. We even made it with an hour to spare!
- 279. Not so fast, Kertasnikir.
- 280. Or should I call you "Candle-Snatcher"?
- 281. Me? A candle snatcher?
- 282. Why, that's just…
- 283. That's just… That…
- 284. Okay, fine. You got me.
- 285. I am, in fact, naughty.
- 286. You're not innocent either,
- 287. or Stekkjarsaur, the sheep-harasser.
- 288. The sheep started it!
- 289. Come on, lads, the gig's up.
- 290. Gryla caught me nicking candles
and said she was going to eat me for it.
- 291. "Bit harsh", I said.
- 292. She disagreed and told me
naughty lads belonged in a stew pot.
- 293. So I said, "I'll find you
two naughty lads if you spare me."
- 294. Then she tried
to cook-up me and Ketkrokur here
- 295. but we promised her
four lads if she spared us.
- 296. And so on, and so on,
but she never let anyone of us go.
- 297. Greedy one, that Gryla is.
- 298. She finally got wise
to the scheme and ate lads 14 through 21.
- 299. Been using us
as her eyes and ears ever since.
- 300. But let's get one thing straight,
- 301. we take no pride in our work.
- 302. We're bound to it,
cursed by our own naughtiness.
- 303. None of you are naughty.
- 304. You just did some naughty things
like stuffing my mother in a sack.
- 305. But you can make them right
and I've got an idea how.
- 306. The veggie broth?
- 307. You liked it well enough, right?
Why shouldn't Gryla?
- 308. We like you and we like your broth,
- 309. so we'll offer you a deal.
- 310. Everyone will be safely returned
to their homes if…
- 311. you show us how to make it.
- 312. No deal!
- 313. We are not revealing
the secret ingredient.
- 314. No, David, this situation is different.
- 315. How come it's okay now?
- 316. You got yourself a deal.
- 317. Ugh.
- 318. Everybody ready?
- 319. She's coming!
- 320. It worked!
- 321. Wow.
- 322. The tree! Look!
- 323. Oh, it's beautiful.
- 324. You didn't tell me that they glow.
- 325. They're beautiful.
- 326. Hilda? Hilda, where are you?
- 327. She's safe
at the bloom with David and Frida.
- 328. Hilda! Over here!
- 329. Mom!
- 330. I'm sorry, I don't have a…
- 331. Hilda. You forgot this.
- 332. I used my tips. You owe me so much candy.
- 333. Thank you.
- 334. Happy Sonstansil, Mom.
- 335. Oh, Hilda.
- 336. It's beautiful.