- 1. Mike Painter, back on the show.
- 2. You lost a twin brother when you were 12?
- 3. In 1988, five kids went missing.
- 4. The Iron Hill murders.
- 5. The one they never found was Eddie.
- 6. You guys remember "Candle Cove?"
- 7. That show used to give
me the worst nightmares.
- 8. Katie just saw it.
- 9. - Katie!
- 10. The only time the show ever
aired was during the murders.
- 11. Now it shows back up again.
- 12. You were released from a
psych ward three days ago.
- 13. It did something to my brother.
- 14. It can make people do things.
- 15. Who made it up? You used to sit,
- 16. just watching the static.
- 17. I brought your daughter
back. Minus a couple teeth.
- 18. Mike, we're just getting started again.
- 19. The bodies of four
missing Iron Hill children
- 20. were found this afternoon.
- 21. Police are still searching
for a fifth child,
- 22. 12-year-old Eddie Painter.
- 23. Laughingstock,
that's one whale of a storm.
- 24. We better run and hide.
- 25. Oh, look.
- 26. It's Bravery Cave.
- 27. You have to go inside.
- 28. Your new friend is waiting for you.
- 29. Now it's time to come
and play a game with him.
- 30. But, uh...
- 31. I don't know how to play.
- 32. You've met him before.
- 33. But you don't remember.
- 34. Katie.
- 35. Katie.
- 36. Look under your bed, Katie.
- 37. We miss you.
- 38. Come back and visit us in the cave.
- 39. - Mom!
- 40. - Mom! Mom!
- 41. Dane?
- 42. Dane?
- 43. Oh, my God! Katie, what did you do?
- 44. - What did you do?
- Get away from him.
- 45. Get her away from him!
- 46. Mike?
- 47. Dane's in surgery.
- 48. She stabbed him in his sleep.
- 49. She had a hook.
- 50. Katie, she... Where did she get a hook?
- 51. She's here, but something's wrong.
- 52. She won't talk.
- 53. Look, I know you said that...
- 54. this show,
- 55. it can make people do things.
- 56. Will you please come back?
- 57. If you're connected to it at all, please.
- 58. Please.
- 59. That child wouldn't hurt anybody.
- 60. Unless someone or something made her.
- 61. It's starting again, isn't it?
- 62. I'm gonna try to stop it.
- 63. I'm gonna help you.
- 64. - Hey.
- 65. - Hey.
- I know you.
- 66. How's Dane?
- 67. He won't stop picking at his stitches.
- 68. Yeah. She's under observation
until the DA figures out
- 69. if he wants to charge her.
- 70. Gary, I asked Mike to come talk to her.
- 71. You don't think you
should have talked to me
- 72. before asking him back?
- 73. I don't think that was a good decision.
- 74. This is what he does.
- 75. Do you really think
that he just happened
- 76. to find her out there?
- 77. I think that something
is going on with her,
- 78. something that nobody here seems to be able
- 79. to wrap their head around.
- 80. So let's use the resource we have.
- 81. When I stopped at
the house, I got her bird.
- 82. What?
- 83. Sit down.
- 84. How are you holding up, having him home?
- 85. It's so strange.
- 86. I barely know him.
- 87. I just... Do you remember, back then,
- 88. a kids' show on TV called "Candle Cove?"
- 89. Something the boys used to watch?
- 90. I don't know.
- 91. Jacob watched all kinds of things.
- 92. It's been such a long time.
- 93. Look who's back in the middle of things.
- 94. - I just want to help.
- What's got into her?
- 95. What makes a nice kid like that
try and disembowel her brother?
- 96. Too much TV.
- 97. See you around.
- 98. I'm so sorry.
- 99. Thank you for coming.
- 100. Yeah, of course.
- 101. How are you holding up?
- 102. I'm not going to win Mother
of the Year anytime soon.
- 103. But you'll talk to me, after?
- 104. Yeah, of course. Absolutely.
- 105. Is that for her?
- 106. Patients in police
custody can't receive gifts.
- 107. Your husband's the sheriff.
- 108. Excuse me.
- 109. Do you know what kid drew this?
- 110. No. Why?
- 111. Never mind. Thanks.
- 112. She saw "Candle Cove?"
- 113. "Candle Cove," you're sure?
- 114. So it wasn't broadcast from here?
- 115. I wish.
- 116. I can't believe somebody saw it again.
- 117. Was this an old episode or something new?
- 118. Well, I have no idea. Who made it?
- 119. I couldn't find anything online.
- 120. Well, that's "Candle Cove."
- 121. How do I go to see it?
- 122. What?
- 123. Okay. Okay, sure.
- 124. You want to see something cool?
- 125. This is my favorite episode.
- 126. Laughingstock comes to Iron Hill.
- 127. Oh, my God. Let's go.
- 128. - What's it about?
- Action, adventure,
- 129. friends, enemies, all the good stuff.
- 130. What's a kids' show supposed to do?
- 131. Make you feel good, right?
- 132. Special hook.
- 133. Make you want to live in that world.
- 134. That's what "Candle Cove" is all about.
- 135. You made this.
- 136. Had you, didn't I?
- 137. It's fan-fic. It's a love letter.
- 138. You don't have the real show?
- 139. Nobody does.
- 140. It was unrecordable.
- 141. Something in the signal.
- 142. Just get this clear.
- 143. This isn't something you heard about?
- 144. You actually saw it in 1988?
- 145. We all did.
- 146. Funny thing, it never
aired on the same channel.
- 147. Come over one of the dead
channels at the end of the dial.
- 148. You had to find it.
- 149. Does that mean somebody must have...
- 150. Was it hacked into other channels?
- 151. Pirate signal for a pirate show.
- 152. Pretty clever, right?
- 153. Katie, does that bird have a name?
- 154. I have something else.
- 155. Katie, do you know what this is?
- 156. Did you draw this?
- 157. It looks like a pirate ship,
- 158. a tree,
- 159. a cloud,
- 160. and over here,
- 161. looks to me like a cave.
- 162. Do you think I'm right?
- 163. Katie,
- 164. I'm gonna ask you a
very important question.
- 165. You're not gonna get in trouble.
- 166. What happened when you saw "Candle Cove?"
- 167. How long is jail?
- 168. You're not going to jail, Katie.
- 169. You're in a hospital
because we want to help you.
- 170. And nobody blames you.
- 171. What you did
- 172. was not your fault.
- 173. I know it wasn't your fault.
- 174. Where were you all that time?
- 175. Don't you remember?
- 176. You've been there too.
- 177. Where? Where?
- 178. The cave where we went.
- 179. Who's we?
- 180. You and me?
- 181. Or you and someone else?
- 182. Was anyone else there?
- 183. The boy.
- 184. What boy?
- 185. He was underground for a long time,
- 186. but somebody took him to a cave.
- 187. And who put him there?
- 188. Katie?
- 189. You have to go inside.
- 190. Mike.
- 191. I think it's probably better
if you don't talk to her again
- 192. unless Jess or I are there, okay?
- 193. Gary, have there been any other
- 194. missing persons cases around here recently?
- 195. Other counties, maybe?
- 196. No. Why?
- 197. Mike? You okay?
- 198. Katie's gonna be fine.
- 199. Oh, hi there. I'm Officer Amy.
- 200. You're such a dork. Come in.
- 201. - So, somebody broke in?
- 202. I didn't notice 'till this morning.
- 203. The old keepsake box my
mom gave me for graduation?
- 204. It's gone.
- 205. Why steal just that?
- 206. - What else do you keep in it?
- Cheap stuff.
- 207. And Alex's baby teeth.
- 208. You keep his teeth?
- 209. Don't look at me like I'm strange.
- 210. It's part of him.
- 211. Yeah. His bones.
- 212. You ever think about that?
- 213. Every time you smile, you're,
like, showing off your skeleton.
- 214. Just wait. You'll understand.
- 215. - Hey, honey.
- Hi, Daddy.
- 216. How was your horseback riding lesson?
- 217. Good. I rode Gypsy. I gave her an apple.
- 218. Yeah? Did she have bad breath?
- 219. Uh-huh.
- 220. That's because horses
don't brush their teeth.
- 221. But little girls do, don't they?
- 222. Ha-ha. Hey, Dad?
- 223. Yeah?
- 224. What is it, Lily?
- 225. You have to go inside.
- 226. What?
- 227. I brushed my teeth after lunch.
- 228. Daddy, Aunt Carol's coming.
- 229. She's gonna babysit me this weekend.
- 230. Mom said I'm not supposed
to call you, so I got to go.
- 231. Love you, dad.
- 232. Yeah, I love you too.
- 233. I found that in the hospital.
- 234. I think Katie drew it.
- 235. You think she knows that place?
- 236. What do you mean?
- 237. Well, this is a railroad track.
- 238. Isn't that the cement plant
out by the old rail yard
- 239. where you two boys used
to play even though
- 240. I told you a thousand times?
- 241. Where are you going?
- 242. You think she went there?
- 243. I don't know. I think whoever
made "Candle Cove"
- 244. took her somewhere else
before the Crow's Nest.
- 245. And if she's saying she saw a boy,
- 246. maybe he's still there.
- 247. But shouldn't you call Gary?
- 248. No.
- 249. What boy?
- 250. I don't know.
- 251. Maybe she imagined this
boy, or made him up.
- 252. Well, what if she didn't,
- 253. and there is a child out there...
- 254. somewhere hidden?
- 255. Maybe he saw the show too.
- 256. I don't know how you do it.
- 257. I look around, I see him everywhere.
- 258. What good is a change of address
- 259. if it doesn't close the wound up?
- 260. Well, not if you keep pressing on it.
- 261. Did that work for you?
- 262. Leave home, and the wound just heals?
- 263. Leave home?
- 264. You sent me away.
- 265. It wasn't that simple.
- 266. That's a defensive phrase.
- 267. I tried to protect you.
- 268. I was so young.
- 269. We could've helped each other.
- 270. I buried an empty casket.
- 271. But I always thought that someday,
- 272. he might just knock on the door.
- 273. Why would somebody bring Katie here?
- 274. There's somebody there.
- 275. Let's call Gary.
- 276. No. I want to...
- 277. I want to talk to him.
- 278. Who?
- 279. Whoever that is.
- 280. No, just listen.
- 281. Just stay here, okay?
- 282. Here.
- 283. Oh, thanks.
- 284. I called Dale. He said
it will take a while
- 285. to confirm it really is Eddie Painter.
- 286. He will try to expedite the autopsy,
but no promises.
- 287. Yeah.
- 288. The way the body was
positioned and preserved,
- 289. it seems almost religious.
- 290. Maybe.
- 291. Yeah.
- 292. They're still here.
- 293. Hey, Mike?
- 294. Marla?
- 295. - Thank you.
- 296. Hey, listen, Marla.
- 297. There's absolutely no reason
for you to be here right now.
- 298. You don't need to see this.
- 299. I wouldn't be able to sleep.
- 300. There's a kind of roaring in my ears.
- 301. It's like the sound of...
- 302. rushing water out there somewhere.
- 303. That's your blood.
- 304. It doesn't stop, does it?
- 305. And you never saw me take snuff.
- 306. The reason being that in my snuff box,
- 307. I carry a piece of Parmesan cheese.
- 308. Eddie? How'd you hurt your hand?
- 309. I told you. I fell.
- 310. That's not what Gary's mother said.
- 311. You two have to look out for each other.
- 312. You know that, right?
- 313. Is something gonna happen?
- 314. I went to James's house
and I spoke to his mom
- 315. about what he did to you.
- 316. And she laughed.
- 317. We have to be there
for each other, okay?
- 318. I can't be there for
you all the time, okay?
- 319. And when I'm not...
- 320. Do you understand?
- 321. Good.
- 322. Why is it when bad things
happen, we always bring food?
- 323. Back then, after they found Jacob,
- 324. all my friends and neighbors
came with casseroles and pies.
- 325. You're gonna be all right.
- 326. We're survivors.
- 327. You still have a son.
- 328. And he needs you.
- 329. Like sons always do.
- 330. Come inside.
- 331. All your secrets will be safe in
- 332. I need to tell you something.
- 333. What is it?
- 334. When they searched the woods up there,
- 335. they never found anything.
- 336. Which is very strange.
- 337. Why is that?
- 338. You know, I've worked
with some mothers who,
- 339. for various reasons, are unable
to bond with their children.
- 340. Some love really is conditional.
- 341. Honey, that's true.
- 342. Do you love me?
- 343. Of course I do.
- 344. You're my son.
- 345. I did it.
- 346. Did what?
- 347. I killed him.
- 348. And I buried him in the woods.
- 349. But someone must have taken him away,
- 350. because when they looked
- 351. where I buried him,
there was nothing there...
- 352. - Stop.
- No. I have to tell you this.
- 353. No.
- 354. Don't say such things.
- 355. Just... just get out.
- 356. Get out.
- 357. I'm... I'm asking you.
- 358. Asking?
- 359. You didn't ask when I was 12, did you?
- 360. Wait. Wait. There's more.
- 361. Ahh! Ahh.
- 362. And as the full moon rose
over the school's towers
- 363. and battlements, Harry reflected
- 364. that he was a very lucky boy indeed.
- 365. Lucky to have such good, fine friends,
- 366. and a place where he belonged,
- 367. and the days ahead still
brimming with adventure.
- 368. Hey, you.
- 369. Still awake?
- 370. And as the full moon rose
- 371. over the school's towers and battlements,
- 372. Harry reflected that he was
a very lucky boy indeed.
- 373. Lucky to have such good, fine friends,
- 374. and a place where he belonged,
- 375. and the days ahead still
brimming with adventure.
- 376. What's going on?
- 377. Actually, Mike,
- 378. I need you to come down
to the station with me.
- 379. What for?
- 380. Answer some questions.
- 381. About?
- 382. About something that your mom told me.
- 383. Really.
- 384. Let's go.
- 385. Want me to get in the back?
- 386. Yeah, in the back.
- 387. Am I under arrest?
- 388. Do you want to be?
- 389. Oh, golly. I've never seen a storm
- 390. in all of Laughingstock quite like this.
- 391. We better batten down the...
- 392. Whoa, oh, gee, we're in for it now.
- 393. - We should abandon ship.
- 394. No, don't leave me.
- 395. Oh, look up ahead.
- 396. It's Bravery Cave.
- 397. We should go inside.
- 398. Ahh!
- 399. He wanted to be mayor.
- 400. What?
- 401. Eddie wanted to be mayor.
- 402. He said we could take turns,
- 403. and no one would know the difference.
- 404. You missed the turn.
- 405. Gary?
- 406. Where are you taking me?