- 1. Sweetheart?
- 2. If you're gonna scratch your nose,
go back to the same pose afterward.
- 3. Why do I have to be here?
It's Ricky's birthday.
- 4. And he's your brother.
- 5. Okay, we all ready to go?
- 6. Lily, you're released.
- 7. Come on, buddy.
- 8. Not used to my grip yet.
- 9. Still getting accustomed to it.
- 10. Hey.
- 11. Hey.
- 12. So, um, Henry was wondering
how long till dinner.
- 13. Huh.
- 14. I guess I could start.
- 15. Is that all you do, Mr. Potts?
- 16. - Is that all I do?
- Oh, and what's this gadget?
- 17. That's not quite right yet, but eventually
I hope to transmit moving pictures
- 18. by wireless.
- 19. - Really?
- Yes, really.
- 20. - As Marconi—
- And this?
- 21. This, madam,
is a sweet-making machine.
- 22. - And is this one of the sweets?
- Yes, it is.
- 23. - Is that yours too?
- Uh, excuse me.
- 24. - Excuse me, sir.
- 25. Uh, I apologize for the intrusion,
but, uh, you're David Ross?
- 26. I believe I am.
- 27. - It's an honor to meet you, sir.
- Oh my God. Such an honor.
- 28. Thank you. You're too kind.
- 29. You are so real. Uh, it's incredible.
- 30. May I?
- 31. Oh my God.
- 32. It's amazing.
- 33. So, up there,
are you, like, sleeping right now?
- 34. It's a kind of sleep.
- 35. The human experience,
the survival of the human body, of life,
- 36. that's really central to the mission—
- 37. Anyway, we have to be—
- 38. - So great to meet you.
- So great.
- 39. I know they're excited, but sometimes
they are so goddamn rude.
- 40. Oh, but they don't realize, honey.
- 41. Our Lord, Heavenly Father,
bless us and these thy gifts
- 42. which we take from thy bountiful goodness
through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
- 43. Amen.
- 44. - Amen.
- 45. I know, but you guys have to wait.
- 46. Wait a second.
I said wait for ready, set, go!
- 47. Not too fast!
- 48. It's a clear win for Lily.
- 49. A clear win.
- 50. Mom, come on!
- 51. Coming.
- 52. Sleep well. I love you.
- 53. Sleep well.
- 54. Sorry, sweetheart. I gotta go.
- 55. Mm.
- 56. You staying up?
- 57. If I don't see you...
- 58. Sorry.
- 59. I have to go.
- 60. - Hey, Cliff.
- David, what's up?
- 61. Some sort of minor impact.
Probably just debris.
- 62. But... ... there is a crack
in the solar coating.
- 63. Let's get to it.
- 64. I didn't ask. How's the new home?
- 65. Oh, still settling in, but it's good.
- 66. - Way out of the city, which I like.
- Henry liking the country air?
- 67. He's a little quiet,
but he'll grow into it.
- 68. And Lana?
- 69. Cape Ann gonna be
cosmopolitan enough for her?
- 70. She's doing good.
- 71. Really?
- 72. I only met her the once,
but she struck me as quite the butterfly.
- 73. I think she likes it there.
- 74. When's our next physical?
- 75. Friday.
- 76. Okay. I'll see you Friday.
- 77. - Have a good week.
- You too.
- 78. Hey.
- 79. Still reading.
- 80. Really just looking at the words,
- 81. Mm.
- 82. Maybe we should have a little party.
- 83. A party?
- 84. - Who's gonna drive all the way out here?
- For the local folks.
- 85. Say hello.
- 86. Meet the neighbors.
- 87. Something small. In the garden.
- 88. I don't know.
- 89. Be good for Henry to meet some local kids.
- 90. We'll see.
- 91. Get out of my house.
- 92. Oh, we've met the machine man.
- 93. What a trip.
- 94. I'm Kappa.
- 95. This is Sigma, Theta, and that's Epsilon.
- 96. I don't give a shit.
- 97. You're in my house.
- 98. Indeed we are.
- 99. - Do you have a cock?
- Good question.
- 100. All of you leave right now.
- 101. Now!
- 102. - You're rude not to answer me.
- I'm telling you to get out of my house.
- 103. Gonna bash your friend Kappa's brains in
in your beautiful room here?
- 104. If I have to.
- 105. That might disrupt your frequency.
- 106. If you all leave right now,
nothing has to happen.
- 107. No stranger in the crowd could doubt
'twas Casey at the bat.
- 108. Get him.
- 109. Where even are you, man?
- 110. Get him in position. Come on.
- 111. Lay his arm out.
- 112. Let's see what's inside your hand, hmm?
- 113. No! No, no, no, no!
- 114. Yeah. Yep.
- 115. No! No, no, no, no, no!
- 116. That is a tough steak.
- 117. Freaky.
- 118. Oh, you don't even bleed right.
- 119. You are nothing natural, my friend.
- 120. Fuck.
- 121. Sigma, give me your hammer.
- 122. Theta, get his family.
- 123. No! No!
- 124. No!
- 125. Try to work out where you are.
- 126. Come on! Come on!
- 127. Please.
- 128. Please, not my children. Please!
- 129. Please. Please, not my children.
- 130. Then whose children are they, huh?
- 131. We just wanna find out
who else is a machine, Mr. Bunny.
- 132. No, no, no, no, no.
No, none of us... none of us are.
- 133. Uh, it's just... it's just him.
It's just David.
- 134. We're real.
- 135. We're real. I...
- 136. Blood. Real blood,
- 137. where I got cut.
- 138. Yeah, I... I don't doubt you're real.
- 139. Yeah.
- 140. - And your kids are real.
- 141. I'm sorry to report
that's immaterial, sugar.
- 142. Because the way the facts run,
- 143. none of what has occurred in your home,
with your full knowledge,
- 144. is right in nature.
- 145. A man sleeps in the sky
- 146. while his mechanical image
walks the earth.
- 147. And you...
- 148. share your bed with this abomination?
- 149. Hmm?
- 150. You know none of this is right.
- 151. How can it be?
- 152. Defying nature must have a cost,
- 153. or what will become of us all?
- 154. So, yes, you.
- 155. - And, yes, the children.
- 156. And the machine man will watch
- 157. with his heart screaming
a million miles above us.
- 158. Please, no.
- 159. Please! Please, no!
- 160. - Epsilon, you start.
- 161. No!
- 162. No!
- 163. Hello.
- 164. Uh, what?
- 165. Wait, wait, wait.
What the hell are you saying?
- 166. David?
- 167. David, it's me.
- 168. David.
- 169. Leave me alone.
- 170. I'm so sorry.
- 171. I said get out of here!
- 172. He told me to get out.
- 173. Spoke to Ground Control.
- 174. Holland says just leave him be.
He'll be in shock.
- 175. Sons of bitches that did this walked
into a station and gave themselves up.
- 176. Some sort of hippie cult.
- 177. Board says if we feel we need protection,
we can have it,
- 178. but we are a long way from California.
- 179. I keep thinking of them.
- 180. Jessica.
- 181. Those kids.
- 182. I can't even imagine.
- 183. Bastards even destroyed his replica.
- 184. Set it on fire.
- 185. That means the whole time
that I am down here, he's just
- 186. alone up there.
- 187. Two years down on the mission,
- 188. another four to go.
- 189. Can't they make him
another replica somehow?
- 190. They made these
while we were still back down here.
- 191. Now it's just not possible.
- 192. Even if they could,
- 193. what does he have left here?
- 194. Soil and nutrients stable.
- 195. CO light absorption functioning.
- 196. Purity at 93%.
- 197. "The Lord is my shepherd.
I shall not want."
- 198. "He maketh me to lie down
in green pastures."
- 199. "He leadeth me beside the still waters."
- 200. "He restoreth my soul."
- 201. "He leadeth me in the paths
of righteousness for his name's sake."
- 202. "Yea, though I walk through
the valley of the shadow of death,
- 203. I will fear no evil."
- 204. "For thou art with me."
- 205. "Thy rod and thy staff,
- 206. they comfort me."
- 207. - Paying attention?
- 208. All right.
- 209. There we go.
- 210. You're up.
- 211. Airlock issue. I gotta run.
- 212. Hey!
- 213. Hey!
- 214. Everything okay?
- 215. Sure.
- 216. Just looking things over.
- 217. You don't know
he was gonna throw himself out.
- 218. I don't know.
- 219. I mean, if he were to do something,
- 220. I'm still up there.
- 221. That's a two-man ship.
- 222. It relies on the both of us.
- 223. If there was, like,
a computer malfunction,
- 224. some sort of technical issue,
- 225. that is me dead too.
- 226. Don't say that.
- 227. We have to think about this.
- 228. The man is lost.
- 229. I can't reach him,
and I don't know what to do.
- 230. What if...
- 231. what if you let him use your link?
- 232. My link?
- 233. As in...
- 234. Say, just for an hour.
- 235. Time enough to let him walk in the woods,
- 236. feel... feel the breeze on his face.
- 237. I don't know.
It'd be strange for you and Henry.
- 238. Henry doesn't need to know.
- 239. David might not even want that.
- 240. Even asking could be a kindness.
- 241. Okay.
- 242. 0800 hours, commencing routine checks.
- 243. Distance to target, 4.7 AU.
- 244. Listen, David,
- 245. I was talking with Lana, and we both feel
that you could use a break.
- 246. How would you feel
- 247. about using my link?
- 248. Just for a little while.
- 249. Breathe some... ... air.
- 250. The house, it's a long way from anywhere.
It's real private.
- 251. There's a forest out back,
a couple streams for fishing.
- 252. It's a good place.
- 253. Would you...
- 254. would you like that?
- 255. I think I'd like that very much.
- 256. So...
- 257. I'll head to the link now.
- 258. How should I speak to him?
- 259. I mean, in manner?
- 260. Quiet?
- 261. Serious, or...
- 262. I don't know, regular?
Like it didn't happen?
- 263. I mean...
- 264. You know what I mean.
- 265. Well... ... he used to be talkative,
- 266. but right now, he's not easy to read.
- 267. Just let him take in the air.
- 268. You ready?
- 269. Hello.
- 270. Hi.
- 271. Cliff said it might take
a little getting used to.
- 272. Would you like to see the forest?
- 273. Yes.
- 274. Thank you.
- 275. Wow.
- 276. This is my favorite spot.
- 277. Mm.
- 278. The air is so clear.
- 279. I'd forgotten.
- 280. Hm.
- 281. Hey.
- 282. Hey.
- 283. He likes you.
- 284. What is it?
- 285. Uh...
- 286. Nothing.
- 287. Just...
- 288. You've quite the home.
- 289. Your place...
- 290. is beautiful.
- 291. Thank you.
- 292. Glad you enjoyed it.
- 293. Well, I best be, uh...
- 294. Of course.
- 295. I'll see you Friday.
- 296. See you then.
- 297. Hey.
- 298. You scared me.
- 299. Well, it feels like that really worked.
- 300. He seems a little
- 301. lighter now.
- 302. So,
- 303. how was it?
- 304. The poor man. He wept like a child.
- 305. In front of you?
- 306. Mm-hmm.
- 307. What did you do?
- 308. Not much. I...
- 309. He sat up by the old tree.
- 310. What... what could I even say?
- 311. Yeah.
- 312. Hey.
- 313. Let me show you something.
- 314. You did this from memory?
- 315. When something is vivid,
I just kind of see it.
- 316. Wait, this is quite something.
- 317. If I had this down there,
I would hang it on the wall.
- 318. You know...
- 319. if you guys could maybe
get me a canvas and some oils,
- 320. I could paint you something like this
for your home.
- 321. Like a thank-you gift.
- 322. Uh-huh.
- 323. I mean, obviously, you'd have
to let me use your replica again.
- 324. You might not want to do that.
- 325. Drawing helps.
- 326. I'd love to be able to paint again.
- 327. An oil painting.
I mean, how long would a painting take?
- 328. Well, a little while, obviously.
- 329. Okay.
- 330. Look, I understand.
- 331. I shouldn't ask. It's not fair.
- 332. I'm sorry.
- 333. Let me think it over.
- 334. Okay?
- 335. Okay.
- 336. Thank you.
- 337. Just an hour?
- 338. One hour.
- 339. Once a week, while I'm doing the physical.
- 340. I mean, it does make sense.
- 341. He can set up his things
up in the barn there.
- 342. He had a list of what he'd need,
canvas and fancy paints and whatnot.
- 343. Clearly, it has been on his mind.
- 344. What do you say?
- 345. Okay?
- 346. Everything you need?
Think we got your whole list.
- 347. Looks like it.
- 348. Thank you.
- 349. How you finding that? Valley of the Dolls?
- 350. Oh.
- 351. Can't say I'm crazy about it.
- 352. I mean, it's fun,
but my goodness, it's trashy.
- 353. A guilty pleasure.
- 354. The guiltiest.
- 355. Do you like sci-fi?
- 356. Can't say I've tried it.
There aren't many books in the house.
- 357. Cliff doesn't really read.
- 358. I'll think of a few recommendations
- 359. I'd like that.
- 360. Sir, may I leave the table?
- 361. Good boy.
- 362. Have you done much painting?
- 363. Not since kindergarten.
- 364. Here.
- 365. Um, I can't. I'd make a mess of it.
- 366. It's fine. You make a mess,
I can paint right over it.
- 367. Here you go.
- 368. Why don't you just try to add a little
to the tree there?
- 369. How... how do I...
- 370. Don't be afraid of it.
Just a... just a light... light stroke.
- 371. Okay, that's a blob.
- 372. It's fine.
Here, just move the brush through it.
- 373. Here.
- 374. Like...
- 375. this.
- 376. There we go.
- 377. Perfectly good leaf.
- 378. Mom!
- 379. - Better see what he wants.
- Of course.
- 380. His painting's looking good.
- 381. Everything okay?
- 382. Do you have any linseed oil? I've run out.
- 383. Linseed oil?
- 384. Yeah. It, uh, thins the paint
without mussing up the color.
- 385. Uh, Wesson oil any use to you?
- 386. Nah, that won't do it.
- 387. Is there a hardware store in town?
- 388. There's Mitchell's. They'll be open.
- 389. You think Cliff would mind
if we borrow his car?
- 390. Got it.
- 391. Great.
- 392. Hey, I wanna check
the bookstore out a moment.
- 393. You wanna come?
- 394. Sure.
- 395. He wears it out.
- 396. This is a good one.
- 397. I think you'll like it.
- 398. I'm sorry, I have to ask.
- 399. Are you Cliff Stanfield?
- 400. - Yes.
- I thought it was you.
- 401. Well, not you, but your, um...
- 402. What do you call it?
- 403. Replica.
- 404. The things they can do!
- 405. And you must be Mrs. Stanfield.
- 406. Yes.
- 407. Heard you both moved
into the old Watson place.
- 408. How you finding it?
- 409. Well, it's, uh...
- 410. - I mean, it's wonderful.
- Oh, so beautiful up that way.
- 411. Great place for a family.
- 412. Absolutely.
- 413. I was so sorry to hear about what happened
with your copilot, Mr. Ross.
- 414. His whole family...
- 415. Such a terrible thing.
- 416. Well...
- 417. Yes.
- 418. How is he doing?
- 419. He's holding up.
- 420. We really ought to be going.
- 421. Of course.
- 422. So nice to meet you.
- 423. Thanks.
- 424. You okay?
- 425. All yours.
- 426. Thank you.
- 427. See you Friday.
- 428. Hey.
- 429. Take a look.
- 430. Is... is that...
- 431. You added me?
- 432. You don't mind, do you?
- 433. No.
- 434. No, not at all. I'm flattered.
- 435. Lana!
- 436. It's okay.
- 437. I've given you the wrong idea.
- 438. He won't know.
- 439. Stop!
- 440. Hey.
- 441. You want this.
- 442. Get away from me.
- 443. You come here. You... you confuse me.
- 444. You pick out gifts. You mess with my head.
- 445. Work your way into my home
wearing my husband like a suit.
- 446. But this is not your home,
and you are not my husband.
- 447. That man is no match for you.
- 448. You are a guest in this house.
- 449. - And you want this.
- You don't know me.
- 450. I know the way you look at me.
- 451. At you?
- 452. Henry?
- 453. You should go.
- 454. Everything okay?
- 455. All fine.
- 456. David says
Henry wrecked his painting.
- 457. He hit him!
- 458. He gave him a little smack
upside the head.
- 459. Which, as far as Henry knows,
was from you.
- 460. Nothing I haven't done myself
a hundred times.
- 461. You know Henry can be a terror.
- 462. Remember when he burned a hole
in the car seat? I whaled on him plenty,
- 463. right here in this room.
- 464. The boy needs keeping in line.
- 465. Look.
- 466. - David wants to finish the painting.
- The goddamn painting.
- 467. I know.
- 468. Let's just let him finish the painting.
- 469. Okay? That will be one,
two more visits tops.
- 470. And then... I will come up with something.
- 471. An excuse.
- 472. Okay?
- 473. Okay.
- 474. - Lana, listen.
- Your things are set up in the barn.
- 475. - Lana, please.
- I'm taking Henry to the pool.
- 476. I got an alert.
- 477. What's up?
- 478. You gonna explain that?
- 479. It's ju— It's... it's a drawing.
- 480. Just a stupid—
- 481. Like a fantasy.
- 482. Maybe I will bust your jaw.
- 483. You want a busted jaw?
- 484. I'm sorry. It's not what—
- 485. My wife!
- 486. You fucking creep!
- 487. My wife. Mine!
- 488. It's pure fantasy. I got mixed up.
- 489. Oh, you got mixed up?
- 490. She's so beautiful. It's—
- 491. Jesus Christ.
- 492. Why can't you see?
- 493. I don't have anything.
- 494. I've got nothing at all.
- 495. You have no idea what it's like to be me.
- 496. Everything I had...
- 497. Gone. Just
- 498. destroyed.
- 499. You don't know.
- 500. You have got it all,
- 501. and you don't even care.
- 502. I care plenty.
- 503. Your wife is a lonely woman.
- 504. She's all alone there.
- 505. Unappreciated.
- 506. - Unsatisfied.
- You shut your mouth.
- 507. Untouched.
- 508. I will put you through this goddamn wall!
- 509. You don't know what you've got.
- 510. I know damn well.
- 511. Do you?
- 512. How much longer we gotta sit here?
- 513. Till your father's home.
- 514. - Henry, go inside.
- Yes, sir.
- 515. - Cliff, what's wrong?
- Tell me what's gone on.
- 516. You and him. What's gone on?
- 517. I don't know what you're talking about.
- 518. What did you do?
- 519. I told you, nothing.
- 520. Did you pose for him?
- 521. No, I did not pose for him.
- 522. Show him your body?
- 523. Of course not.
- 524. Did he touch you?
- 525. No.
- 526. Did you touch him?
- 527. - No.
- Take him to our bed?
- 528. Absolutely not.
- 529. Tell me what happened!
- 530. Nothing. I swear.
- 531. He drew you naked.
- 532. In his quarters. Up there, on board.
- 533. - I don't know what he drew.
- He draws from memory.
- 534. - From memory!
- He has seen nothing.
- 535. Give me the truth!
- 536. - I—
- Give me the truth!
- 537. I swear on my life, on Henry's life,
- 538. But he wanted it to.
- 539. Yes.
- 540. - And you still let him come down here.
- You knew I didn't want him here anymore.
- 541. You never said that.
- 542. I told you he hit our son,
and you did not listen to me.
- 543. You didn't listen!
- 544. He said that
- 545. I don't touch you.
- 546. How did he know that?
- 547. I would never say anything like that
- 548. So, then, how did he know?
- 549. I don't know.
- 550. He thinks that you're lonely.
- 551. All the time you're here, I'm lonely.
- 552. We came here for you!
- 553. You brought me here, put me in this house.
- 554. Now I just walk from room to room,
and you walk from room to room,
- 555. but you're a shadow,
and I am here. I am real!
- 556. So, no, he didn't touch me,
but I wished he did. I...
- 557. For, like, a... a moment...
- 558. for a moment,
it felt like my husband was back,
- 559. and he
- 560. saw that I'm real, and I want that. I...
- 561. And I wished he did too.
- 562. I'm sorry.
- 563. Hey.
- 564. Listen.
- 565. What?
- 566. I wanted to apologize.
- 567. I overstepped the mark, and I apologize.
- 568. Nothing happened with Lana.
- 569. I know.
- 570. She wasn't interested.
- 571. Listen.
- 572. I know you don't want me
using your link anymore. It's just...
- 573. I'd like to apologize to her in person.
- 574. I owe her an apology too.
- 575. Hey.
- 576. Could I at least say goodbye to her?
- 577. I just wanna say goodbye.
- 578. That's not gonna happen.
- 579. You know what she told me?
- 580. That your visits offend her.
- 581. That you offend her.
- 582. The thought of you returning
makes her vomit.
- 583. She says that you're a snake.
- 584. A conman.
- 585. The worst kind.
- 586. The arrogant kind.
- 587. She won't have you anywhere near her.
- 588. She is mine.
- 589. For all time, she is mine.
- 590. Every day,
- 591. every night,
- 592. in every way.
- 593. You will not see or speak to her
- 594. Who's a good boy?
- 595. Damn it. Some kind of emergency.
- 596. What is it?
- 597. Small impact a few minutes ago.
Coolant tubing took a hit.
- 598. It's leaking pretty bad.
- 599. Hey, I'm at coolant four.
- 600. No visible signs of damage.
- 601. David, you sure it was coolant four?
- 602. David?
- 603. David?
- 604. David!
- 605. David!
- 606. David!
- 607. Where the hell were you?
- 608. Bathroom.
- 609. The bathroom?
- 610. Coolant four was fine.
- 611. Goddamn system's
sending out false reports.
- 612. Gotta get on to McKenzie.
- 613. This is not acceptable.
- 614. Where's my tag?
- 615. My tag.
- 616. What did you do?
- 617. Come on.
- 618. Lana?
- 619. Lana?
- 620. No, no, no, no.
- 621. No.
- 622. Lana?
- 623. No!