- 1. Okay, my people!
Rise and shine. Get up, Stripe.
- 2. Hey. You awake yet?
- 3. - Sure as shit ain't dreaming no more.
- 4. Something went down last night
in Her Falls,
- 5. a village about three miles east.
- 6. We've got reports of a food store
broken into, shit stolen.
- 7. Locals think it's roaches.
- 8. Roaches!
- 9. We head out in five minutes. Let's go!
- 10. Hey, so, it looks like you're getting
your first real-live roach hunt, huh?
- 11. Hey, new!
- 12. New!
- 13. It's Stripe.
- 14. Here's a little tip just in case
you get your first toe-to-toe
- 15. - with one of them roaches today.
- 16. When you see one right here,
- 17. try not to shit your pants.
It's only gonna piss them off.
- 18. - I'll try.
- Try to ignore Len.
- 19. His aim's so bad,
he's the only guy on Earth
- 20. who could shit his own pants and miss.
- 21. - Fuck you, farm girl.
- Farm girl?
- 22. Yeah. Hunting's in my blood.
- 23. Some of us are naturals.
- 24. Moving out!
- 25. Whoo! Yeah!
- 26. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Okay.
- 27. You can speak now.
- 28. - It must have been roaches.
- Roaches, you see them? You see?
- 29. I didn't see them.
- 30. I heard them.
All the mess. It must have been them.
- 31. Want a cookie?
- 32. - Here you go.
- They've been in the food.
- 33. We'll have to destroy
everything they left.
- 34. No one will eat it.
- 35. We can replace that, okay?
- 36. They destroyed the cooler.
Broke it and took the parts.
- 37. The cooler?
They stole parts from the cooler?
- 38. Which way did they go?
- 39. There were footprints
in the dirt leading that way.
- 40. Parn Heidekker.
- 41. Parn Heidekker.
- 42. Heidekker? Is that a name?
- 43. Stop them coming. Please, you must stop.
- 44. Okay.
- 45. I have child who is scared.
- 46. I will. I promise.
- 47. Stripe!
- 48. Okay. Our friend here thinks
that the roaches
- 49. went in the direction
of Parn Heidekker's place.
- 50. Local oddball, seems to be some kind
of religious freak.
- 51. Anderson, Hague, I want you
to stay here and help them torch the food,
- 52. keep them calm and reassured.
- 53. The rest of you,
we're gonna drop in on Heidekker.
- 54. Ask some questions,
sniff around the place.
- 55. If there's roaches,
we show we're ready for them. Let's go.
- 56. So Mr. Heidekker is not exactly
what you call a socialite or a mingler.
- 57. Seems like mental health issues.
- 58. He's got some interesting views
on roaches, by all accounts.
- 59. I'm putting his info
in your Mass system now.
- 60. Been complaints lodged against him
going months back.
- 61. Locals claim that he let roaches
cross his land, left food out for them.
- 62. Could be just shit talk
from the local villagers though so...
- 63. Yo, how many roaches
we got left out here?
- 64. A couple of thousand?
A couple of hundred, if that?
- 65. I mean, back home we had millions, man.
- 66. It only took two years
to get shit back on track.
- 67. Out here you got rustic fucks
throwing them scraps.
- 68. No wonder it's taken so long
to mop shit up.
- 69. But how can anyone be dumb enough
to help a fucking roach?
- 70. Hell, yeah.
- 71. Portals front and rear.
- 72. Windows blacked out.
- 73. Chimney smoke. Someone's home.
- 74. Lennard, you use the boomer.
- 75. Okay, Mass check. Everyone got the layout?
- 76. - Check.
- 77. Check.
- 78. Aikin, Valcon, Coach,
you check the outbuildings here.
- 79. Take them one at a time and slow.
- 80. Stripe, Raiman,
you come with me and Lennard.
- 81. We go in here.
- 82. Len and I will talk to Heidekker,
you check the rest of the house.
- 83. Okay.
- 84. Optimal outcome, no shots fired.
- 85. Except on a roach.
- 86. Except on a roach.
- 87. Morning, sir.
- 88. There's no need for this.
I speak your language.
- 89. Okay.
- 90. - What is it you want?
- Just to talk.
- 91. That's what we're doing.
- 92. Be a little more neighbourly
if we did it inside.
- 93. Check the upstairs rooms.
- 94. Relax. I'm not your enemy.
- 95. Where are they?
- 96. Where are who?
- 97. You know, we got a whole bunch
- 98. of frightened, angry people
in that village.
- 99. Roaches have been breaking
into the food stores, stealing supplies.
- 100. You know anything about that?
- 101. No.
- 102. See, it's not just what they stole.
- 103. All that food left is gonna be destroyed.
- 104. - No one's gonna eat it.
- 105. Makes life harder for everyone.
- 106. Cross on the wall there.
You got principles.
- 107. Think all life is sacred. And I get it.
- 108. I agree. All life is sacred so...
- 109. you even got to protect the roaches.
- 110. It's not their fault they're like that.
They didn't ask for this.
- 111. I get it. We get it.
- 112. Mm-hmm.
- 113. There's shit
in their blood that made them that way.
- 114. The sickness they're carrying.
- 115. That doesn't care about
the sanctity of life
- 116. or the pain
about who else is gonna suffer.
- 117. We don't stop the roaches,
in five, ten, 20 years from now,
- 118. you're still gonna get kids born that way,
and then they're gonna breed.
- 119. Bingo.
- 120. And so it goes on. That cycle of pain.
- 121. That sickness,
and it could have been avoided.
- 122. Fucking roach nest.
- 123. You check in there. I'll take the stairs.
- 124. Every roach you save today,
- 125. you condemn God knows how many people
to despair and misery tomorrow.
- 126. You can't still see them as human.
- 127. Understandable sentiment, granted,
but it's misguided.
- 128. We gotta take them out if humankind
is gonna carry on in this world.
- 129. That's just the hard truth.
- 130. Gotta make sacrifices.
- 131. What the fuck?
- 132. Help me out here!
- 133. Fuck!
- 134. Rai!
- 135. We gotta listen to Mr. Sunday School
all the way back to base?
- 136. You can cover your ears.
- 137. Yeah, or, uh...
I'll just hit permanent mute.
- 138. Lower your weapon.
- 139. Roach lover counts as a kill too, right?
- 140. He's a civ, right?
- 141. You shoot a civ, that's gonna stay
with you the rest of your life.
- 142. Yo, Stripe, why don't you, uh...
pull the stick out of your ass?
- 143. Because I'm fucking with him, not you.
- 144. I guess I had you both going, right?
- 145. All right!
- 146. Let's torch the place.
- 147. Hey, you okay, man?
- 148. Yeah.
- 149. - I heard you popped one in there.
- 150. Wait, two?
- 151. - I got another one, with my knife.
- With your knife? Holy shit!
- 152. - Pretty good, right?
- Yeah, you fucking Terminator.
- 153. Damn! First time out, he gets two.
- 154. You lucky motherfucker, man.
- 155. Sweet dreams for this asshole.
- 156. Gonna get a treat tonight.
- 157. Whoo-hoo! Whoo!
- 158. I love you.
- 159. Whoa! Miss Sharp Shooter.
- 160. Patronising fuck!
- 161. Ruthless! You're the Grim Reaper.
- 162. Yeah, well, no roach gets away next time.
- 163. Are you still sweating that?
- 164. Well, I grew up tracking deer.
You never give up.
- 165. I don't like it when they get away.
- 166. Nice.
- 167. Yeah,
if that fucker made it to the forest,
- 168. probably made it to the border,
gone for good.
- 169. Yeah. It's all right for you.
- 170. You popped two of 'em.
- 171. It's been a while for me.
- 172. You know, the gal is getting twitchy.
- 173. Come on, Rai.
- 174. You sleep good?
- 175. Yeah, I slept OK.
- 176. What, that's all you're gonna give me?
- 177. Okay? You know, if I got two in one go,
- 178. I would want to come for like an hour!
- 179. All right, shut up.
- 180. All right.
- 181. Ah! That's the way.
- 182. Hey, you okay, man?
- 183. Yeah, think I'm tired is all.
- 184. Uh-huh?
All right, so you did have a good night.
- 185. 39, 40, 41...
- 186. 42...
- 187. 43, 44, 45, 46,
- 188. 47, 48, 49,
- 189. 50, 51, 52,
- 190. 53, 54, 55,
- 191. 56, 57, 58, 59...
- 192. Strong and pure.
- 193. Strong and pure.
- 194. - Hey, Stripe, you okay?
- 195. I mean, I... don't know.
- 196. I feel a little off.
- 197. I mean, I ain't sick or nothing.
It's just, uh...
- 198. Report to the sick bay.
- 199. Running diagnostic.
- 200. What do you see?
- 201. A cube.
- 202. - Rotating?
- 203. - And now?
- A tree.
- 204. - Like an apple tree.
- Touch the apples for me.
- 205. Full marks.
- 206. - So you say you had like a headache?
- Yeah, but just quick.
- 207. Nothing big, just...
- 208. Well, everything looks okay.
- 209. No sign of any malfunction
or dropout with your Mass implant.
- 210. And physically,
you're in exemplary shape.
- 211. You've just seen combat,
you can expect some sort of side effect.
- 212. There was this, uh... this thing...
- 213. with a light on it at the farmhouse.
- 214. - Roach had it.
- A roach had it?
- 215. - Kind of like a flashlight.
- 216. Kinda.
- 217. I don't know.
- 218. Seriously, you're fine. Your Mass is fine.
Blood's fine. It's all fine.
- 219. Okay. Yeah.
- 220. Maybe you should speak to Arquette.
- 221. Who's Arquette?
- 222. So, you must be Koinanchey?
- 223. Koinange. Folks call me Stripe.
- 224. Why would they call you that?
- 225. Couldn't pronounce Koinange either,
- 226. - That's funny.
- Thank you.
- 227. At ease, son. Sit down.
- 228. So you recently logged your first kills?
- 229. - Two roaches?
- 230. First time out. It's impressive.
- 231. Yeah, I guess.
- 232. So what happened?
- 233. - What, with the kills?
- 234. Oh. I'm in this, uh... farmhouse.
- 235. There's this, like,
hidden room or something.
- 236. We go in and there they are.
- 237. First one, I just... It was automatic.
Just pop-pop, you know?
- 238. Right. Just like in training.
- 239. Yeah, just like that, yeah. Yeah.
- 240. - And the second?
- I mean, he was on the ground with me.
- 241. He?
- 242. It was a he.
- 243. Oh.
- 244. So, this was close quarters then?
- 245. Yeah, he's on top of me.
Struggling, I mean...
- 246. I couldn't reach my rifle
so I had to stick him.
- 247. Stick it. With my knife.
- 248. And how did that... feel?
- 249. - What, like...?
- 250. I didn't. I mean, it was quick.
It was self-protection.
- 251. I guess all I felt was, you know, relief.
- 252. - Just relief?
- 253. It's not unusual to experience
other feelings too.
- 254. A moment of euphoria even.
- 255. Yeah, I guess.
- 256. I don't know,
I thought maybe I'd feel...
- 257. I don't know.
- 258. - Something else?
- Yeah, like...
- 259. Regret. Something like that,
but that just wasn't there.
- 260. Hmm.
- 261. So you'd do it again?
- 262. Yeah, sure.
- 263. So... why are you here?
- 264. I don't know. I mean...
- 265. I had a few weird moments.
- 266. My Mass looked like it was glitching out.
- 267. But your implants,
I mean, they passed every diagnostic.
- 268. - There is nothing wrong with that?
- Yeah, they said it's fine.
- 269. I don't know, I think I just...
- 270. Felt like something was up with it.
- 271. - But there's not.
- 272. You did a big thing.
You should be proud of yourself.
- 273. Okay?
- 274. It'll pass.
- 275. Let's get you a good sleep tonight, huh?
- 276. A real good sleep.
- 277. Fuck me.
- 278. Way to go, fuck fingers.
- 279. It seems Heidekker didn't stay silent
too long once we got to work on him.
- 280. He's given up a location, someplace
the roaches have been scavenging.
- 281. Well, all right.
- 282. It's a housing project
that's been empty since the war.
- 283. It's not far from here.
- 284. So control wants us to do recon
before we go back to base.
- 285. Can we hurry it up here?
- 286. We ought to burn the whole forest down,
- 287. Give those roaches nowhere to run.
- 288. Okay, you see that?
- 289. Solar panel looks cleaner than the rest.
- 290. And there are some cables.
- 291. - There's got to be roaches leaching power.
- Why here?
- 292. Christ knows.
- 293. All right.
- 294. Better dial it in.
- 295. Control. This is Medina.
- 296. Positive ID. Signs of activity here
at the housing project location.
- 297. Sighted one solar panel, looks
recently wiped clean and some cabling.
- 298. Roger so far.
- 299. - You all right there?
- Smell the grass.
- 300. We can't usually smell nothing.
- 301. - You ever noticed that?
- No, I never noticed that.
- 302. Requesting course of action.
- 303. Didn't read. Please repeat.
- 304. Okay.
- 305. Control says we should fall back
and await comm—
- 306. Shit!
- 307. Medina.
- 308. Oh!
- 309. Medina.
- 310. Stripe, get back! She's dead. Come on!
- 311. Okay. Ready? Cover me.
- 312. Rai! Rai, come on.
- 313. Okay.
- 314. Oh, fucking roach got a rifle.
- 315. Fuck. Piece of shit.
- 316. Okay, Stripe.
- 317. Stripe, come on. Get it together, dude.
- 318. He fired six shots.
His rifle looks old, bolt action.
- 319. - Should take him ten seconds to reload.
- We go in?
- 320. We go in and take him out.
Are you with me?
- 321. - I'm with you.
- Let's go!
- 322. Follow me!
- 323. Ready? Okay, three, two, one. Cover me.
- 324. Come on, man! What the fuck?
- 325. What the fuck is this shit?
- 326. Let's go.
- 327. Stripe!
- 328. Whoa, whoa! It's okay. Hey. Hey.
- 329. Calm down. Calm down. Calm down.
- 330. It's okay. It's okay.
I'm not gonna hurt you.
- 331. I'm not gonna hurt you. Okay?
- 332. Go on, get out of here. Go on.
- 333. It's not safe. There's roaches here.
- 334. Go on. Get.
- 335. Come on!
- 336. - Rai, what did you do?
- Shut up! Come on!
- 337. What did you do, Rai?
- 338. Got ya.
- 339. Rai!
- 340. No!
- 341. - Run!
- What the fuck are you doing?
- 342. - You're killing them!
- They're roaches!
- 343. You're fucking killing them, Rai!
- 344. What the fuck's wrong with you, man?
You got some blown shit.
- 345. - Pull it together!
- 346. Are you all right?
- 347. You gotta get out of here. Come on.
- 348. Come on!
- 349. Fuck!
- 350. You better run.
- 351. Shh. Shh.
- 352. Here.
- 353. I'm all right.
- 354. You see me as I am.
- 355. Of course I see you.
- 356. You don't see roach?
- 357. You ain't a roach.
- 358. Roaches is all...
- 359. Fucked up?
- 360. Roaches don't speak.
- 361. You just can't hear us.
- 362. - What the fuck are you talking about?
- Your implants. Your army implants.
- 363. The Mass system?
- 364. They put it in your head to help you fight,
- 365. and when it works,
you see us as something other.
- 366. One of us, Luka,
was making a... a machine.
- 367. Light flashes.
Said it can interfere with the implant.
- 368. You're roaches?
- 369. But I've seen roaches.
- 370. I've seen them, they're fucking...
They're like, uh...
- 371. - Animals?
- No, they're monsters. I've seen them.
- 372. The implant made you see this.
- 373. Fuck. The villagers... Huh?
- 374. The locals, they... they ain't army.
They got no Mass in their heads.
- 375. They're scared of the roaches.
- 376. - They hate the fucking things.
- Everybody hates us.
- 377. Well, what the fuck do they see? Huh?
- 378. The fucking civs, when they look
at a roach, what do they see?
- 379. What you see now.
- 380. They hate all the same
because it's what they've been told.
- 381. Ten years ago, it began.
- 382. Post-war.
- 383. First, the screening programme,
the DNA checks,
- 384. then the register,
the emergency measures.
- 385. And soon everyone calls us creatures.
- 386. Every voice. The TV. The computer.
- 387. Say we have... we have sickness in us.
- 388. We have weakness. It's in our blood.
- 389. They say that our blood cannot go on.
- 390. That we cannot go on.
- 391. My name was Catarina.
- 392. He was Alec.
- 393. Now we're just roach.
- 394. But now...
- 395. Now you see me.
- 396. Now you see me.
- 397. Rai?
- 398. Rai, no!
- 399. Tell me I shouldn't kill you.
- 400. - None of it's true, Rai.
- What the fuck got you?
- 401. None of it's true.
- 402. Fuck you.
- 403. Get up. Back against the wall.
- 404. Get up!
- 405. You want me to come in there?
- 406. It's all right. I can just talk to him.
- 407. Thank you, Briley.
- 408. Stripe.
- 409. We owe you an apology.
We didn't spot the fault in your Mass.
- 410. I got you a coffee.
- 411. The device you found in the farmhouse,
you mentioned it to the doctor.
- 412. Is this the thing?
- 413. We found it on an old block
that you and Raiman were searching.
- 414. Looks like they reverse engineered it
from some of our drone parts and so on.
- 415. The light here transmits a code.
It's like a virus.
- 416. It burrows into your Mass,
trying to shut it down from within.
- 417. I tell you, those roaches
are getting more ingenious
- 418. than we give them credit for.
- 419. The whole thing is a lie.
- 420. I understand why you'd say that, yeah.
- 421. Roaches.
- 422. They look just like us.
- 423. Of course they do.
- 424. That's why they're so dangerous.
- 425. Humans.
You know, we give ourselves a bad rap,
- 426. but we're genuinely empathetic
as a species.
- 427. I mean, we don't actually really want
to kill each other.
- 428. Which is a good thing.
- 429. Until your future depends
on wiping out the enemy.
- 430. Come on, sit down.
- 431. I don't know how much history
you studied in school.
- 432. Many years ago,
I'm talking early 20th century,
- 433. most soldiers
didn't even fire their weapons.
- 434. Or if they did, they would just aim
over the heads of the enemies.
- 435. They did it on purpose.
- 436. British Army. World War I.
- 437. The brigadier,
he'd walk the line with a stick
- 438. and he'd whack his men
in order to get them to shoot.
- 439. Even in World War II, in a firefight,
- 440. only 15%, 20% of the men
would pull the trigger.
- 441. The fate of the world at stake
and only 15% of them fired.
- 442. Now what does that tell you?
- 443. It tells me that that war
would have been over a whole lot quicker
- 444. had the military got its shit together.
- 445. So we adapted.
- 446. Better training. Better conditioning.
- 447. Then comes the Vietnam War,
- 448. and the shooting percentage goes up to 85.
- 449. Lot of bullets flying.
The kills were still low.
- 450. Plus the guys who did get a kill,
- 451. well, most of them came back
all messed up in the head.
- 452. And that's pretty much how things stayed
until Mass came along.
- 453. You see, Mass...
Well, that's the ultimate military weapon.
- 454. It helps you with your intel.
- 455. Your targeting. Your comms.
- 456. It's a lot easier to pull the trigger
when you're aiming at the bogeyman, hmm?
- 457. It's not just your eyes, though.
Takes care of your other senses, too.
- 458. You don't hear the shrieks.
- 459. You don't smell the blood and the shit.
- 460. They're human beings.
- 461. Do you have any idea the amount of shit
that's in their DNA?
- 462. Higher rates of cancer.
- 463. Muscular dystrophy.
MS. SLS. Substandard IQ.
- 464. Criminal tendencies. Sexual deviances.
- 465. It's all there.
- 466. The screening shows it.
- 467. Is that what you want
for the next generation?
- 468. Don't feel bad about doing your job.
- 469. The villagers won't do it.
- 470. The folks back home won't do it.
- 471. They don't have Mass.
- 472. Mass lets you do it.
- 473. You.
- 474. You're protecting the bloodline.
- 475. And that, my friend, is an honour.
- 476. There's no honour here.
- 477. It's just killing.
- 478. - Lying and killing.
- No one lied to you.
- 479. You knew all of this. All along.
- 480. What are you talking about?
- 481. You agreed
to have your Mass implant put in.
- 482. Set up. Every soldier does.
- 483. We can't just embed it and feed you
a dream. Your mind would reject it.
- 484. You have to accept it. Willingly.
- 485. It's exactly what you did.
- 486. So you see the terms
and conditions there?
- 487. Yeah, that's like a whole essay, man.
- 488. What is that?
- 489. That's your consent video.
From when you signed up six months ago.
- 490. Basically, it says you agree
to Mass implant activation.
- 491. - I didn't do this.
- Yes, you did.
- 492. - Works kind of like hypnosis.
- Yeah, all right.
- 493. Part of what you're agreeing to
is not realising
- 494. you've been put in this state.
- 495. If you follow me.
You won't recall this conversation.
- 496. That's kind of funny, man.
- 497. Turn it off.
- 498. - So for you to register consent...
- Turn it off, man.
- 499. I'm gonna need your thumbprint there.
- 500. - Right here?
- Yes, please.
- 501. That's dope.
- 502. I didn't do that!
- 503. - I don't remember that!
- Just like the man said.
- 504. - I know you're upset.
- Fuck you!
- 505. - What's happening?
- We control what you see, Stripe.
- 506. - I can't see nothing.
- Because we control it.
- 507. Give me my fucking eyes back.
- 508. - Let me lay out your options.
- Give me my fucking eyes back, man!
- 509. Let me lay out your options!
- 510. Option one,
you agree to have your Mass reset.
- 511. All the recollections
of the past few days,
- 512. including this conversation, erased.
- 513. No way.
- 514. Option two's incarceration.
- 515. - I'd advise you to consider.
- Fuck you!
- 516. Mass is a friend.
- 517. Without it, you will remember
everything that you did.
- 518. I ain't having this Mass shit.
- 519. No more. No way.
- 520. Okay.
- 521. Well...
- 522. Maybe you should see
what life would be like without it.
- 523. What's happening?
- 524. Where am I?
- 525. Heidekker's ranch. Three days ago.
- 526. I have it all logged, Stripe.
We can feed you everything that you did.
- 527. Hey, no, no, no. No.
- 528. Please! Please don't shoot. Please!
Please! Please don't shoot.
- 529. - Please! Please!
- No! No!
- 530. No. Make it stop.
- 531. No! Please.
- 532. Make it stop!
- 533. Please!
- 534. No! No!
- 535. No!
- 536. Fuck off! Stop it!
- 537. No!
- 538. You'll see and smell and feel it all.
- 539. Is this what you want?
- 540. On a loop? In a cell all alone?
- 541. We can make that go away.
- 542. This conversation goes away too.
- 543. All of it.
- 544. But you gotta say the word.
- 545. Just say the word, Stripe.
- 546. And it all goes away.
- 547. Just say the word.