- 1. Belinda Carlisle there with one
of the biggest hits of 1987 so far.
- 2. Gotta love that track!
Coming up next in just a moment...
- 3. Could you please stop it?
I just wanna have some fun, okay?
- 4. Kelly, come on.
- 5. - Kelly.
- I'm still walking, Wes.
- 6. We've only got a couple of hours
so let's, uh... let's use it.
- 7. I am using it.
- 8. Hey.
- 9. You're good at this.
- 10. It's, uh... got different endings.
- 11. Depending on if you're in one
or two player.
- 12. Uh-huh?
- 13. - It was kinda the first game to do that.
- Damn it!
- 14. Do you wanna play Top Speed?
- 15. Oh, no.
- 16. Thank you.
I just wanna get my bearings a bit.
- 17. Uh... okay.
- 18. - See you around?
- 19. Go along with whatever I say.
- 20. - Sorry?
- Whatever I say, go along with it.
- 21. Okay, Wes, you're just pestering now.
- 22. - Do I have to red light you?
- Two hours 35.
- 23. - There's not much time left.
- 24. Look...
- 25. - Last week, we had the most amazing—
- Last week was last week.
- 26. I need to talk with my friend here, okay?
Haven't seen her in a while.
- 27. Wes, she's sick.
- 28. Like "six months to live" sick.
- 29. Five, actually.
- 30. I need to catch up with her.
- 31. Okay.
- 32. Okay.
- 33. - Hey, I'm sorry.
- That's okay.
- 34. See you around?
- 35. Sure.
- 36. Sorry for killing you.
- 37. The whole "six months to live" thing?
- 38. Sorry. Five.
- 39. Five was a nice touch.
- 40. - Kelly.
- 41. - Yurgie?
- 42. Like the dog breed?
- 43. Yeah.
- 44. He's not a bad guy. I feel kinda bad.
- 45. - Met him at the Quagmire so...
- What's the Quagmire?
- 46. If you don't already know
what the Quagmire is,
- 47. you probably don't wanna know.
- 48. No?
- 49. You want another one?
- 50. - Oh, no, I—
- Yeah, you do. Come on.
- 51. Do I have to tug your leash?
- 52. - Hey, Blondie.
- I'm Blondie?
- 53. You are. Jack and Coke times two.
- 54. - Oh, no. Mine was just a Coke.
- Times two.
- 55. - What are you doing?
- I'm... regarding you.
- 56. I feel like I'm being analysed.
- 57. - Why the glasses?
- 58. I like them. They totally work on you.
But do you need them?
- 59. - Yeah, the lenses don't do anything.
- Knew it!
- 60. I used to wear them in school.
- 61. So I guess now
they're just kind of a... comfort thing.
- 62. I figured they were
kind of a fashion statement.
- 63. - Really?
- But then the rest of your outfit is not.
- 64. Don't take that wrong.
It's refreshing. I mean, look around.
- 65. People try so hard to look
how they think they should look.
- 66. They probably saw it in some movie.
- 67. But I like these.
- 68. You're authentically you.
- 69. Thanks.
- 70. Cheers.
- 71. You never tasted it before?
- 72. No, I...
- 73. I just haven't had it in a while.
- 74. Do you live here?
- 75. - No. Oh, uh—
- 76. We'll go with tourist.
So you're new here?
- 77. - First night.
- First night? Wow, okay!
- 78. Oh, my God!
- 79. We have to dance to this.
- 80. - With each other?
- 81. - Oh, no. Dance floors aren't my thing.
- Oh, let's not limit ourselves.
- 82. - No, I can't.
- Yes, you can, come on.
- 83. - No, I'll look dumb—
- Just follow my lead!
- 84. Copy me.
- 85. You got it.
- 86. Hey!
- 87. - Why did you run away?
- Oh, sorry.
- 88. I... I said I'm not much of a dancer.
- 89. No shit.
- 90. Like a frightened horse
on a frozen lake back there.
- 91. I'm kidding. Half kidding.
- 92. Sorry I pushed you into it.
- 93. Saturday nights once a week.
It's like no time. I get impatient.
- 94. No, no, it's not that. It's...
- 95. - Everyone was looking.
- 96. Yeah. You know, two girls dancing.
- 97. Okay, one, folks are way less uptight
than they used to be.
- 98. And two, this is a party town.
No one's judging.
- 99. Face it. If they were staring,
it's because I am bodacious.
- 100. - You're stupid.
- Thank you!
- 101. - I've never been on a dance floor.
- 102. As in the whole time
you've been alive never?
- 103. Never.
- 104. What are you, like, Amish?
- 105. That's one sheltered existence
you got there.
- 106. Yeah, well.
- 107. As far as my family's concerned,
I can't do anything.
- 108. Well, no one knows
about even half the shit I get up to.
- 109. With your folks, though,
it's from a place of love, though, right?
- 110. - They worry.
- They don't worry.
- 111. Just the concept of me enjoying myself
would blow their minds.
- 112. What would you like to do?
That you've never done?
- 113. Oh...
- 114. So many things.
- 115. San Junipero is a party town.
- 116. All up for grabs.
- 117. Midnight's two hours away.
- 118. Oh, that's not long.
- 119. Why waste time sitting here?
- 120. I, um...
- 121. - Listen...
- It's okay.
- 122. - No, I mean...
- Really, it's okay.
- 123. No, I'm, uh...
I'm engaged. I have a fiancé.
- 124. - He's called Greg.
- And is Greg here?
- 125. - No, he's—
- 126. Yeah.
- 127. Oh.
- 128. Wanna go to bed with me?
- 129. We could be back at mine in like...
- 130. I never did anything like that.
- 131. All the more reason.
- 132. Oh, you're nice.
- 133. - I can't.
- 134. - I just... I can't.
- I get it.
- 135. - I have to go.
- In this?
- 136. It's been really great to meet you.
- 137. Likewise.
- 138. Okay.
- 139. Okay.
- 140. Okay.
- 141. Shit.
- 142. - What the hell, Wes?
- Look, I know I'm coming across—
- 143. - I'm red lighting you, for real. Okay?
- No, don't do that. Just...
- 144. - Then stop this.
- Can you hear me out? Please? Please.
- 145. How many girls do you think there are
in San Junipero?
- 146. Hundreds? Thousands?
- 147. I don't care.
- 148. I'm saying there's plenty
of other girls out there for you, Wes.
- 149. The locals? They're like dead people.
- 150. A little lively for dead people.
- 151. Look, I don't want some kind
of boring romance, okay?
- 152. Like, Jesus,
put us in a retirement home deal.
- 153. Well, if you're looking for someone
to fuck, there's options.
- 154. - Hang out at the Quagmire again.
- It's not just sex.
- 155. - It was just sex.
- No, we made a connection.
- 156. Wes, it was just sex.
- 157. - No—
- No roots.
- 158. We had fun.
- 159. I'm sorry.
- 160. Enjoy the town, for God's sake.
- 161. - Hey.
- 162. Waiting for someone?
- 163. Not really.
- 164. I'll get you a drink?
- 165. Uh, yeah, sure.
- 166. So, uh... yeah,
it was microsurgery, I guess.
- 167. You know, both my kneecaps
had kind of just worn down.
- 168. You know, I never got this song.
Kind of weird.
- 169. - Shall we dance?
- 170. I mean, I guess by the time
I'd put my mind to, like, computing.
- 171. You know, caught that first wave,
would have had a different story.
- 172. Gotta use the bathroom.
- 173. Okay.
- 174. - I don't know how to do this.
- Do what?
- 175. Just help me.
- 176. Can you just...
- 177. Just make this easy for me?
- 178. You wanna get in my car?
- 179. - How long have you been here?
- 180. - How long have you been here?
- In San Junipero?
- 181. Uh... Couple of months.
Plan is long enough to enjoy myself.
- 182. Guess I'm a tourist, like you.
- 183. Yeah.
- 184. Hey. You okay?
- 185. Yeah.
- 186. Stop!
- 187. Sorry, but...
- 188. Man, your face!
- 189. Wow.
- 190. - You like it?
- It's just so big.
- 191. Reminds me of where I grew up.
- 192. Miss your mom?
- 193. You have to show me.
- 194. - Okay.
- 195. You never slept with a woman before?
- 196. That's not a critique.
I mean, it was fucking awesome.
- 197. No, never with a woman.
- 198. Never with anyone.
- 199. Not anyone?
- 200. - What, in town or...?
- No. No one, nowhere.
- 201. - I guess you deflowered me.
- I deflowered you?
- 202. What is this? Merry England?
- 203. Shut up.
- 204. You've had relationships though.
- 205. Mnh-mnh.
- 206. Hello! You got a fiancé.
- 207. - It's complicated.
- Yeah, I'll say.
- 208. When did you know...
- 209. - that you liked women?
- I like men too.
- 210. Equal rights.
- 211. Okay.
- 212. But when did you know?
- 213. Do you always know?
- 214. I was married to a guy.
A long time, I was married.
- 215. I always knew.
- 216. I mean, I'd be attracted to other girls,
- 217. co-workers, friends,
some waitress that served me.
- 218. They were crushes.
God, they were crushes.
- 219. Never acted on any of it.
- 220. Never did anything.
- 221. I was in love with him.
- 222. I really was in love with him.
- 223. But he chose not to stick around.
- 224. So now it's me.
And I'm passing through.
- 225. And before I leave,
I'll have a good time.
- 226. I'm just gonna have a good time.
- 227. Time's nearly up.
- 228. Then let's lie here.
- 229. Excuse me?
- 230. Have you seen Kelly?
- 231. - What's that?
- 232. I haven't seen her all night.
- 233. You tried the Quagmire?
- 234. What is the Quagmire?
- 235. - Whoa! Hey!
- I'm sorry!
- 236. Yeah, I know you from somewhere.
- 237. Tucker's.
- 238. - Kelly's friend, huh?
- Do you know where to find her?
- 239. - How would I know that?
- You're her friend.
- 240. - Was a friend.
- Has she been here?
- 241. No.
- 242. You too, huh?
- 243. Well...
- 244. Hey. Try a different time.
- 245. Here in '80, the '90s, 2002 one time.
- 246. She's worth the shot, right?
- 247. Introducing the totally redesigned
- 248. All the luxury you expect is here.
- 249. But so is gas mileage...
- 250. No, no, no.
- 251. - Hey.
- 252. Golden age, right?
- 253. - Right.
- You playing or...
- 254. I'm sorry, I'm looking for someone.
- 255. Maybe... next time.
- 256. Kelly?
- 257. Yeah!
- 258. You're beautiful!
- 259. - Select a song!
- 260. Ladies' room.
- 261. Hey.
- 262. Hey. No, you—
- 263. Wait a minute.
- 264. Why are you here?
- 265. I was looking for you.
Where did you go?
- 266. I like a change of music.
- 267. How the hell is this your era?
- 268. - You hid from me.
- One, I did not.
- 269. Two, I owe you zero.
And three... see point two.
- 270. It's not about who owes who.
It's about manners.
- 271. You don't know who I am.
- 272. You don't know what this means.
- 273. This means fun.
- 274. Or it should. And this...
- 275. This is not fun, okay?
- 276. This is not fun.
- 277. So you don't feel bad?
- 278. Maybe you should feel bad.
Or at least feel something.
- 279. Have you seen a girl?
Mid-20s, brown hair, glasses?
- 280. Uh...
- 281. Oh, jeez.
- 282. Hey.
- 283. Please tell me
you got your pain slider set to zero.
- 284. Yeah, I think so.
- 285. - Okay, listen.
- How many of them are dead?
- 286. Like what percentage?
- 287. As in full-timers?
- 288. Eighty. Eighty-five.
- 289. I'm sorry.
- 290. - I'm not gonna jump.
- I know, and I'm sorry, whatever it's...
- 291. In the time I've been here,
I said I wouldn't...
- 292. I don't know, do feelings.
- 293. You freaked me out.
- 294. I don't want to like anyone.
- 295. So you've been just...
totally fucking inconvenient.
- 296. It's that...
- 297. I don't know how long there is.
- 298. And I can't. I wasn't prepared for you.
For wanting something—
- 299. Next week it is.
- 300. I'm getting married.
- 301. Next week?
- 302. To nice Greg?
- 303. - Sure you're going through with that?
- I have to.
- 304. - You have to?
- 305. He really is a good guy.
- 306. I mean, my family don't approve, but...
- 307. they can't stop us.
- 308. I know he pities me. That pisses me off.
- 309. But that's not fair 'cause he's...
- 310. You said you don't know
how much time there is.
- 311. What does that mean?
- 312. They tell me three months.
- 313. It's spread basically everywhere.
- 314. They said three months before
six months ago.
- 315. So, you know, what do they know?
- 316. Doesn't even taste of anything.
- 317. - But so you'll stay here after?
- 318. When I'm done, I am done.
- 319. But that's cra— I mean...
- 320. - Why?
- 321. That's...
- 322. My husband's name was Richard.
- 323. He died just two years ago.
- 324. So we had the opportunity
to stay in San Junipero.
- 325. Pass over.
- 326. Didn't take it.
- 327. - Didn't want to take it.
- Why wouldn't anyone take it?
- 328. He had his viewpoint.
- 329. There were things he believed
and things he didn't believe in,
- 330. and this place was one of them.
- 331. Wouldn't even visit. Take the trial run.
- 332. Shit.
- 333. I didn't know if I wanted to try it
but... I mean...
- 334. Jesus, without this place,
I never would've met someone like you.
- 335. - Yeah, you could have.
- No, I wouldn't.
- 336. - We could have met outside all this.
- 337. You... would not have got me at all.
- 338. At all.
- 339. If we really met, I mean...
- 340. If we really met, you wouldn't like me.
- 341. Try me.
- 342. Or you'd—
You wouldn't want to spend time with me.
- 343. - You'd come and then—
- Try me.
- 344. Why?
- 345. Why? What's the point?
- 346. What? Where are you? Houston?
- 347. Carson City, Nevada.
- 348. So come on.
- 349. I showed you mine.
- 350. Where are you?
- 351. - I can just look it up.
- Santa Rosa, California.
- 352. - That's no distance.
- I don't want you to—
- 353. - I don't want you to see me. I'm scared—
- And I'm dying.
- 354. Whatever you are can't scare me.
- 355. Let me come visit.
- 356. I want to say hi.
- 357. Here you go.
- 358. You okay?
- 359. Please check in at our self-service pods
- 360. using swipe cards provided.
- 361. - You must be Kelly.
- I guess I must.
- 362. - She's waiting for you.
- Thank you.
- 363. Please.
- 364. She won't be able
to physically respond in any way.
- 365. But she can hear you.
- 366. I'll give you some privacy.
- 367. Hello, stupid.
- 368. It's good to see you.
- 369. Uh... Hello. Excuse me. Is it... Kelly?
- 370. It is.
- 371. - I'm Greg.
- You're Greg?
- 372. Holy shit.
- 373. Yeah, I think it's great
that you came down here in person
- 374. before she passes over.
- 375. Even her folks
don't come visit no more so...
- 376. She's passing over?
- 377. - When?
- 378. - Let's go grab a coffee.
- 379. - She didn't tell you?
- No, she did not.
- 380. - Said she was just visiting.
- More like sampling the trial version.
- 381. I mean, I've only known her
the past three years.
- 382. We talk on the comm box.
- 383. She told you how she ended up
- 384. And how long she's been that way?
- 385. One night, she's 21,
comes out to her folks.
- 386. They're a little uptight about it,
you might say.
- 387. They told her they don't
want a gay daughter.
- 388. It's not natural and so forth.
- 389. They fight. She gets in her car.
Runs it off the road. Boom!
- 390. - When she was 21?
- More than 40 years back.
- 391. It's been her whole lifetime, basically.
- 392. So the whole San Junipero system
has been a big deal for her.
- 393. The biggest deal.
- 394. Of course now, until she passes over,
it goes permanent,
- 395. she's on a five-hour weekly limit.
- 396. I guess you're the same.
- 397. They ration it out.
They don't trust us with more.
- 398. They say you go crazy
if you have too much, you know?
- 399. You don't leave your seat.
You disassociate body from mind.
- 400. Like that doesn't happen
in every senior home already.
- 401. The system's there
for therapeutic reasons,
- 402. immersive nostalgia therapy.
- 403. Plunge you into a world of memories.
- 404. Helps with Alzheimer's,
that's what they say.
- 405. Small mercies.
- 406. So...
- 407. About this marriage...
- 408. The state's got a triple lockdown
on euthanasia cases.
- 409. You gotta have a sign-off from the doc,
the patient, a family member.
- 410. It's to stop folks from passing over just
because they prefer San Junipero flat out.
- 411. Anyhow, Yorkie's family,
- 412. they're big-time religious,
and they will not sign.
- 413. But a spouse can override them.
- 414. - Hence the wedding bells.
- You got it.
- 415. We got a pastor coming tomorrow a.m.,
- 416. and then she's scheduled to pass
- 417. "Scheduled to pass."
Let's just call it dying.
- 418. If you can call it dying.
- 419. Uploaded to the cloud, sounds like heaven.
- 420. I guess.
- 421. You gonna wear a suit?
- 422. The ceremony's on my coffee break.
- 423. I never married so I just figured,
you know, what's the harm?
- 424. You're a good man.
- 425. It's the least I could do, right?
- 426. Think you could hook us up
to the system now?
- 427. Just for a little while,
before she passes?
- 428. You can still see her afterwards.
I mean, then she's no limit.
- 429. She's full, fat, permanent San Juniperan.
- 430. I know, but can you?
- 431. Seriously, it is so tight here
that they monitor every—
- 432. I only want a moment.
- 433. Ma'am.
- 434. - You got five minutes
- Thank you.
- 435. Hey!
- 436. I've never been here
during the daylight.
- 437. It's warm.
- 438. Listen, I gotta be quick.
So I spoke to Greg.
- 439. Oh.
- 440. - You're passing over tomorrow?
- 441. Couple of hours after the wedding.
- 442. So I guess I am technically
honeymooning here forever.
- 443. I'm sorry I didn't tell you.
- 444. - I'm gonna say something crazy.
- 445. Wanna marry me instead?
- 446. It's just... Greg seems great, but...
- 447. Why not someone you've connected with?
- 448. Is that a yes?
- 449. to be your lawfully wedded wife,
- 450. to have and to hold,
in sickness and in health,
- 451. in good times and in woe,
for richer, for poorer...
- 452. Hold tight.
- 453. There you go.
- 454. Nearly there.
- 455. That's it.
- 456. Are you sure you're all right?
- 457. Hey!
- 458. You didn't dress up to see me?
- 459. Oh...
- 460. Come on!
- 461. Better?
- 462. Whoop!
- 463. Oh!
- 464. Oh! Whoo!
- 465. Looks so real.
- 466. It feels so real!
- 467. - What are you doing?
- Oh, I love it here!
- 468. I just love it.
- 469. - You've been here before.
- But now I live here!
- 470. Be with me.
- 471. - I'm with you now.
- That's not what I mean.
- 472. Pass over.
- 473. - When it's your time.
- 474. - Stay here with me.
- Can we just enjoy tonight?
- 475. It's almost midnight.
- 476. In ten minutes, you're out of here.
- 477. Then I gotta wait a week
to see you again.
- 478. - You know I'm just a visitor.
- What, a couple of months, then what?
- 479. - We're not discussing this.
- Then you're gone.
- 480. - Just gone. You could have forever.
- 481. - Who can even make sense of forever?
- However long you want then.
- 482. I mean, you can remove yourself
- 483. It's not a trap.
- 484. I mean, look at it! Jesus! Touch it!
- 485. - I'm going.
- Hey! Oh. Hey.
- 486. It's real.
- 487. This is real.
- 488. And this.
- 489. - Hmm?
- Come on.
- 490. You know that was just a gesture.
- 491. - You married me.
- To help you pass over.
- 492. - As a... kindness.
- It's not so kind to leave.
- 493. Okay, look, look, I'm sorry, I just...
- 494. I got this chance.
- 495. We got this chance.
I wanna share it with you.
- 496. I said I made my choice.
- 497. What is it? You feel bad
because your husband isn't here?
- 498. - Because that was his choice.
- 499. He chose not to stay here.
It's like he left you.
- 500. You know, he could have stayed,
but he chose to leave you.
- 501. - You don't know what you're saying.
- You should be mad at him.
- 502. - Not whipping yourself with guilt.
- Get off me.
- 503. You can't see it!
But what he did, it was selfish actually!
- 504. Forty-nine years...
- 505. I was with him for 49 years.
- 506. You can't begin to imagine.
- 507. You can't know...
- 508. the bond, the commitment, the boredom,
- 509. the yearning, the laughter,
the love of it.
- 510. The fucking love. You just cannot know!
- 511. Everything we sacrificed.
- 512. The years I gave him.
The years he gave me.
- 513. Did you think to ask?
- 514. Did it occur to you to ask?
- 515. We had a daughter.
- 516. Alison.
- 517. Always difficult, always beautiful.
- 518. Died at 39 years old, bless her heart.
- 519. And Richard and I,
we felt that heartbreak as one.
- 520. You think you're the only person
ever suffered, go fuck yourself.
- 521. - Well, I didn't know—
- Didn't think to.
- 522. You know, when he was dying,
Richard said to me
- 523. when they offered him this,
to pass over, pass through,
- 524. spend eternity in this fucking graveyard
you're so in love with,
- 525. he said, "How can I?
When she missed out, how can I?"
- 526. And so he went.
- 527. And I wish I could believe he's
with her now,
- 528. that they're together, but I don't.
- 529. I believe they're nowhere.
Just like you said.
- 530. Gone. No, I pitied you,
and that's the truth. I pitied you.
- 531. Now you give me some sales pitch
- 532. about how fucking peachy forever
- 533. I'm sorry.
- 534. You wanna spend forever
somewhere nothing matters?
- 535. End up like Wes?
- 536. All those lost fucks at the Quagmire
- 537. trying anything to feel something,
- 538. But I'm out. I'm gone.
- 539. Kelly, I'm sorry. Kelly!
- 540. Hey, Kelly.
- 541. - You all right?
- Yeah, I am fine.
- 542. - Well, okay then.
- 543. Kelly?
- 544. All things considered...
- 545. I guess I'm ready.
- 546. For what?
- 547. For the rest of it.
- 548. Ready?