- 1. Peace is an illusion.
- 2. And no matter how tranquil
the world seems...
- 3. peace doesn't last long.
- 4. Peace is a struggle
against our very nature.
- 5. A skin we stretch over the bone,
muscle, and sinew
- 6. of our own innate savagery.
- 7. What are you doing?
- 8. We can't just leave her here.
- 9. She's not our problem.
You want to get us arrested?
- 10. Just...
- 11. let her go.
- 12. The instinct of violence
curls inside us like a parasite,
- 13. waiting for a chance to feed on our rage
and multiply until it bursts out of us.
- 14. War is the only thing
we really understand.
- 15. Long live the Uprising!
- 16. Long live Quellcrist Falconer...
- 17. Long live Quellcrist Falconer!
- 18. Christ.
- 19. Ah, for fuck's sake.
- 20. No hookers. Just get out of my room.
- 21. - I'd love to, but I have a job to do.
- You can keep what he paid you.
- 22. How generous of you.
But then it's not your money, is it?
- 23. This is not a siren of the night.
Ms. Prescott is an attorney.
- 24. Your hotel seems more perceptive than you.
- 25. That's disappointing,
- 26. in view of the trouble and expense
Mr. Bancroft has taken to acquire you.
- 27. Oh, you work for Bancroft.
- 28. Exclusively. May I have my...
- 29. Where's my clothes?
- 30. If by "clothes" you mean
those bloodstained rags, here they are.
- 31. But I took the liberty
of procuring habiliments
- 32. more appropriate for your position
as a confidant of a Meth.
- 33. He's not a confidant. He's a hired gun.
- 34. Take her downstairs.
And if it's not too much trouble,
- 35. don't let anyone else
into my fucking room.
- 36. Lights on, 20%.
- 37. Hey, Hawkeye.
- 38. Hello, Lieutenant Ortega.
- 39. Would you like information on the target?
- 40. I slept great, thanks. You?
- 41. I'm afraid I don't understand
- 42. That's a nicer answer
than most guys I wake up next to.
- 43. I'm afraid I don't understand
- 44. Forget it, Hawkeye.
- 45. Just let me know if Kovacs goes anywhere.
- 46. This is not how normal people
start the day.
- 47. - Coffee, cereal maybe.
- Come on.
- 48. Toast.
Maybe even toast with another person—
- 49. I don't want any toast.
- 50. It can be nice,
wake up next to someone, have toast.
- 51. I don't want to hear your suggestions
for my personal life.
- 52. What personal life would that be
- 53. You need to blank this noise.
- 54. Doesn't matter who Kovacs is,
you can't let him rattle you this much.
- 55. I know Bancroft's
yanking your chain so hard
- 56. you're gonna get whiplash.
- 57. One more round?
- 58. That was a tracker.
- 59. Except, of course, it can't be,
- 60. since we don't have a warrant
on any of our open cases.
- 61. You know, if I saw this,
I'd have to report it.
- 62. So it's a good thing I didn't.
- 63. Don't thank me. Just stop.
- 64. Forget about Kovacs.
There's nothing there.
- 65. You think I don't know that?
- 66. Hawkeye, target location.
- 67. Processing target movements.
- 68. Target is in Psychasec, Mission Branch.
- 69. Welcome to Psychasec.
- 70. Please step up to the ID plate.
- 71. Ms. Prescott. Mr. Kovacs.
- 72. Director Nyman will be down in a moment.
- 73. Gonna need to interview Bancroft's
associates. Personal and business.
- 74. Kind of people in Mr. Bancroft's circle,
it's out of the question.
- 75. Go tell your boss you've decided it's too
socially awkward for me to save his life.
- 76. I'm sure he'll understand.
- 77. For the record,
- 78. I consider you to be completely
unqualified as an investigator,
- 79. and you can't smoke in here.
- 80. Personally, I hate these things, but...
- 81. you sleeved me
in a hardcore nicotine addict.
- 82. This sleeve is more than adequate
for your needs.
- 83. I doubt you'll be using it long.
- 84. Ms. Prescott.
I've cleared my schedule for the morning.
- 85. As I said earlier, whatever I can do.
- 86. There's no smoking.
- 87. At Psychasec,
we provide the top of the market
- 88. in augmented
and designer-enhanced sleeves.
- 89. Our service is exclusive
to an elite clientele.
- 90. Best sleeve money can buy.
Put your wife in me.
- 91. Hmm. How tasteful.
- 92. Our primary business is in clones.
- 93. No doubt you know a single clone
- 94. costs more than most people make
in a lifetime.
- 95. So Meths only.
- 96. Our clients are the most discerning,
wealthiest people in the Protectorate.
- 97. They don't do anything as pedestrian
- 98. You deserve to look on the outside
the way you feel on the inside.
- 99. You deserve this sleeve.
- 100. This is the Bancroft family vault.
- 101. We keep 24/7 tech personnel in the vault.
- 102. Gus was here the night Mr. Bancroft
needlecast back from Osaka.
- 103. They aren't aware, right?
- 104. Nah, clones' brains are blanked,
stacks are empty.
- 105. The bodies
are electrically stimulated periodically
- 106. so they don't lose muscle tone.
- 107. Gonna need to see any footage you have
of Bancroft's arrival.
- 108. Back when I went down,
- 109. you resleeve too many times,
eventually you go nuts.
- 110. Personality frag. It's a bitch.
- 111. But it only happens if you bounce
between lots of different sleeves.
- 112. So, turns out, if you resleeve
into your own clone,
- 113. you can do it as many times as you want.
- 114. And live forever. If you got the cash.
- 115. What does everyone else do?
- 116. Folks resleeve in whatever they can find,
if they can afford it.
- 117. So your clients needlecast directly
into the clones here in the building?
- 118. Our lower levels house a fully secure
satellite-to-download DHF facility.
- 119. It can't be that secure if someone
tried to hack Bancroft's backup
- 120. - the night he was shot.
- Police think it was Dippers. They steal snippets of Meth memory
- 121. Moments from a king's childhood,
a socialite losing her virginity.
- 122. Oh, it happens all the time.
- 123. Black market value is huge
for a slice of those memories.
- 124. Got the file. Here you go.
- 125. That's it?
- 126. We only record the moment of reacclimation
for quality control.
- 127. Anything more would infringe
on our clients' privacy.
- 128. And I do so value my privacy,
as Christopher well knows.
- 129. - Christopher, so good to see you.
- It is our privilege to be of assistance.
- 130. Good morning, Mr. Kovacs.
- 131. I told Oumou here that I wanted to drop in
- 132. and observe your investigation
at close quarters.
- 133. You were here the night
your husband resleeved?
- 134. Yes. When Laurens travels for business,
I like to meet him when he casts back.
- 135. When was this footage taken?
- 136. Six hours before Mr. Bancroft was killed.
- 137. I know I'm watching myself, but it feels
as if I'm watching a stranger.
- 138. What were you doing in Osaka,
before you came back?
- 139. Mr. Bancroft closed
a 400 billion credit trade deal.
- 140. Which I also have no memory of.
- 141. And your associates there were questioned?
- 142. They saw nothing amiss
with Mr. Bancroft.
- 143. On the contrary,
they remarked on his focus and skill.
- 144. Yes, I still have no idea how I managed
to pull that together quite so quickly.
- 145. And then you needlecast back here.
What did you do after?
- 146. I went home. I'm afraid Laurens
had more energy than I did.
- 147. Hmm. And you?
- 148. Security cameras at Suntouch House
recorded Mr. Bancroft
- 149. arriving home in the morning.
I'll get you the footage.
- 150. You don't do anything for yourself do you,
including answering questions?
- 151. I've told you, Mr. Kovacs,
it's all a complete blank.
- 152. I'm struggling to see the point
of this, um... interrogation.
- 153. The one person who is certainly
not a suspect in all of this... is me.
- 154. You want answers,
they come with questions attached.
- 155. Let's take a walk, Mr. Kovacs.
- 156. Just to be clear, if I die,
you go back on ice.
- 157. If you don't solve this quickly enough,
you go back on ice.
- 158. All this trust is just making me tear up.
- 159. Don't threaten me again.
- 160. - I'm not sure if I'm enjoying your tone.
- Get used to it.
- 161. I'm gonna need access that
you don't wanna give,
- 162. and I'm gonna find answers
you may only think you want.
- 163. You wanted me to work for you.
I'm working for you.
- 164. You want my respect?
- 165. That's a little harder to come by.
- 166. If you don't like it,
put me back on ice right now.
- 167. I admire a man who can look over the edge
- 168. Might make a Meth of you yet.
- 169. I've downloaded the footage
to your hotel from Suntouch House.
- 170. I'll need to see the interviews
of all the suspects as well,
- 171. and any threats that Bancroft's received.
- 172. Why are you here, Lieutenant?
- 173. You took the job.
- 174. Man's gotta eat.
- 175. Don't you have actual policing
to do somewhere?
- 176. You have any leads on who tried to kill me
in the hotel last night?
- 177. The lack of surviving witnesses
is a problem, but I'm working on it.
- 178. I feel safer already.
- 179. Yeah, I know. I'm coming.
- 180. Be seeing you, Kovacs.
Try not to get yourself killed.
- 181. Shouldn't be a problem.
Who'd want to kill me?
- 182. Hello, boy-os.
- 183. Hmm. Well, holy shit.
- 184. Hey there, Poe. Long time.
- 185. How long's it been, 50 years?
- 186. Actually, 47 years.
- 187. I thought you only lived
in the real these days.
- 188. It grieves me that my account
languishes in arrears.
- 189. I must restore my standing
- 190. with my brothers and sisters
in the AI hotel union.
- 191. We're the AI management union now.
- 192. Yeah, Owen's turned himself
into a music hall.
- 193. And Rodney has a strip club,
calls himself Z-Rod.
- 194. And Maddy—
- I'm well aware who Maddy works with.
- 195. Or rather... for.
- 196. You bring credit to pay your back dues?
- 197. I have a guest.
- 198. Ooh!
Grab a seat. We'll deal you in.
- 199. Mmm.
- 200. Why you always pretend to be one of them?
- 201. Dress like 'em, talk like 'em.
It's so... weird.
- 202. I find humans fascinating.
- 203. You're weird! Who cares about humans?
- 204. Who cares?
- 205. Humans gave us life.
- 206. Yeah, just because Maddy's been enslaved
by one of them,
- 207. why hold that against the species?
- 208. They're not like us, Poe.
They're a lesser form of life.
- 209. Preach it, brother.
- 210. I'm not their servant.
- 211. I choose to be the proprietor
of the Raven.
- 212. The study of humanity
is my greatest aspiration.
- 213. You gotta work on your life goals, Poe.
- 214. My place, Prick Up,
that's the kinda business you gotta be in.
- 215. VR sexperience.
- 216. Sometimes I use live ones
for the recordings.
- 217. Live?
- 218. Humans. They make better noises.
- 219. And the best thing,
other humans pay you for the playback.
- 220. You gotta get out of the business
of serving humans, Poe...
- 221. into the business of serving up humans.
- 222. You think your guest is gonna stay?
- 223. Even after the shootout in your lobby?
- 224. - Gunfire...
- Dead bodies...
- 225. Police.
- 226. No. There were no rats
feasting on the corpses.
- 227. Good day.
- 228. Watch where you're going.
- 229. - Someone's been in there, I'm telling you.
- Ma'am, let's check my file...
- 230. You want to tell me where you've been?
- 231. Who says I was anywhere?
- 232. An empty chair
at this morning's briefing...
- 233. three unanswered messages.
You ever check your ONI?
- 234. I was worried.
- 235. Don't be. I'm fine.
- 236. Stop hovering. I have a mother for that.
- 237. Also fine.
- 238. Still weird to me that you two
are on a first-name basis.
- 239. Once or twice.
- 240. Ortega!
- 241. The Henchy woman is here again.
And I want you to handle it.
- 242. But, Captain Tanaka, it's not my case.
- 243. I have a philosophy
- 244. about uncomfortable conversations
with the recently bereaved.
- 245. I—
- 246. Officers who miss the briefing volunteer.
- 247. - Handle it.
- Yes, sir.
- 248. Shit.
- 249. You do it.
- 250. You expect me to tell this woman that
the BCPD lost her daughter's body?
- 251. Well, Tanaka says the body's not lost.
It'll turn up.
- 252. Sooner or later, somebody's gonna have
to tell her the truth.
- 253. She's not getting her daughter back.
- 254. I just don't understand.
- 255. It's been two months,
and no one can explain it to me.
- 256. She's dead.
Why haven't you released her body?
- 257. I'm looking into it.
- 258. Do you know how long it's been
since I talked to my baby?
- 259. Three years!
- 260. I never got to tell her that I loved her.
- 261. Then I find out she converted last year.
- 262. So even though her stack was fine,
she can never be spun back up.
- 263. I'll never see her again,
not even to say goodbye.
- 264. Do you know what that's like?
- 265. I have some idea, yeah.
- 266. Because then you would understand why
I need my daughter's body back.
- 267. - It's all I have left!
- Ms. Henchy, please calm down.
- 268. I don't even know what you people
are doing with her.
- 269. How do I know?
- 270. Did you sell her for parts?
Because you have no right!
- 271. No right, do you hear me?
- 272. He looks perky.
- 273. - Any record from within Suntouch?
- No, there's no cameras inside.
- 274. This monitor's a piece of crap.
- 275. It's an antique. Like yourself.
- 276. That's nifty,
but I still can't see shit on this thing.
- 277. I suggest you use your ONI feed.
- 278. Bancroft,
you cannot escape your fate...
- 279. I want your fucking head removed!
- 280. shit down your throat.
- 281. I'll fucking kill you,
you Meth motherfucker!
- 282. - I can't wait to see you bleed.
- That's subtle. Hey, Poe!
- 283. How many more of these did Prescott send?
- 284. Uh...
- 285. You have 3,578 death threats left to view.
- 286. From this year.
- 287. All right, well,
discard all off-world threats.
- 288. Break it into three groups.
- 289. Threats involving violence...
- 290. people who committed actual crimes,
where sender is known...
- 291. and mode of violence threatened.
- 292. Cross-reference for files that
overlap search parameters.
- 293. Delete the rest.
- 294. I'm gonna enjoy watching you beg
for your life, you piece of shit!
- 295. Rage at injustice is universal.
The ability to strike back is not.
- 296. Cross-check for military training
or active combat experience.
- 297. I'm gonna double-sleeve you
so you can watch me murder you!
- 298. And at its heart, violence is
almost always, in one way or another...
- 299. personal.
- 300. Counting down to your real death.
- 301. Isolate 43.
- 302. For my girl. For my Lizzie.
- 303. You're a dead man, Bancroft.
- 304. I'm gonna hunt you down
on your steel mountaintop
- 305. and blow your head off.
- 306. Splatter your brains all over the wall,
and melt your stack to slag.
- 307. And you'll never see it comin'.
- 308. Go back.
- 309. Stop. Expand.
- 310. Lieutenant Ortega,
target has left the Raven Hotel.
- 311. The machinery of justice
won't serve you here.
- 312. It is slow and cold and it is theirs.
- 313. Hardware and soft.
- 314. What the fuck?
- 315. What did you do to my goddamn door?
- 316. Well, you didn't answer.
- 317. Because I'm fucking closed!
Can't you read?
- 318. I got a few questions.
- 319. For my girl. For my Lizzie.
- 320. See, Laurens Bancroft hired me
to investigate his death.
- 321. Now, who's Lizzie?
- 322. How the hell should I know?
That holo has nothing to do with me.
- 323. You see, the military, the cheap bastards,
- 324. they issue a weapon,
they keep records on who has it
- 325. so they can charge back against your pay.
- 326. Tac Marine standard issue AR.
- 327. Serial number, you dumb fuck.
You might as well have signed your name.
- 328. I heard Bancroft torched his own stack.
- 329. And I got drunk to celebrate.
- 330. He send you here to kill me?
- 331. So you were a Tac Marine. GCE?
- 332. Medic. And there is no "was."
- 333. Once a marine, always a marine.
Now get out, or I'll shoot.
- 334. You stitched people up, huh?
- 335. I shot them down, too.
Now get the fuck out.
- 336. What the...
- 337. You're awake. Good.
- 338. Put that down.
- 339. Single bed, single dish. Table cleared
just enough for one person...
- 340. What about the wife, Elliot?
- 341. She dead?
- 342. Okay, so not dead.
- 343. Maybe she left you
'cause you're a fucking slob.
- 344. I mean, look at this place.
- 345. Ava didn't leave me, you son of a bitch.
- 346. She pulled down 30 years for dipping.
- 347. She was a hacker?
- 348. Best in the Five Cities.
Until she got caught.
- 349. So Ava's your wife.
Which makes Lizzie your daughter.
- 350. Don't worry. You're not my type.
- 351. No, stay away from there.
- 352. No, don't go in there. Come on!
- 353. No, I'll fucking kill you! Don't! Stay away from there!
- 354. Technology advances.
But humans don't.
- 355. No, I'll fucking kill you!
- 356. No, don't do it! You stay away from there!
- 357. We're smart monkeys,
and what we want is always the same.
- 358. Food, shelter, sex,
and in all its forms...
- 359. No, no, no!
- 360. Wake up and smell the coffee.
- 361. Wake up.
- 362. You must be Lizzie.
- 363. My name is Tak.
- 364. Did you hurt her?
- 365. If you laid a hand on my daughter...
- 366. What the hell is wrong with you?
- 367. Can't you tell she's suffering?
She's caught in a trauma loop.
- 368. It's the only way I can see her.
- 369. Her body was beaten to death,
but her stack was untouched.
- 370. It damaged her mind. She hasn't said a word since that night.
- 371. Why do you think Bancroft did it?
- 372. 'Cause she told me she was seeing him!
- 373. She said he needed her.
- 374. That he was gonna take care of her.
- 375. And then she ended up dead.
- 376. I don't want to hurt you.
- 377. You gotta get out more, Elliot.
- 378. Your milk's a month past the due date.
- 379. You got a hell of a motive.
- 380. So do you, from the looks of it.
That make you a killer?
- 381. More times than I can count.
- 382. But you didn't kill Bancroft.
- 383. I told you I...
I could have. You don't know.
- 384. You got the background, skill...
- 385. Exactly.
- 386. But your daughter? You'd do anything
to protect her. You're not stupid.
- 387. You take out Bancroft, sooner or later,
someone like me will show up.
- 388. You go down for it,
she's alone in the world.
- 389. What's Jack?
- 390. - I'm not telling you fuck all.
- 391. You're just gonna leave?
- 392. That's, um, for the cereal.
- 393. And the door.
- 394. Sorry about the door.
- 395. Welcome to the Battle of Stronghold.
- 396. Experience the brutality
of Envoy terrorists
- 397. murdering countless women and children.
- 398. Witness the Protectorate courage
- 399. I knew I shouldn't go...
- 400. 'cause when the victors rewrite history,
it's just another kind of war,
- 401. waged after the battlefield killing
- 402. to murder the memory of the defeated.
- 403. But it was a chance to see her again.
- 404. Not as a dream or a hallucination.
- 405. I thought it would give me
a moment of peace.
- 406. I should have known better.
- 407. Hey.
- 408. You're not supposed to have that.
- 409. We're learning about Songspires in school.
- 410. Where'd you get it?
- 411. I stole it.
- 412. Oh.
- 413. You're not supposed to
steal things either.
- 414. Well, someone... stole these stacks.
- 415. They used to be people.
- 416. They were Envoy terrorists
that wanted to kill—
- 417. Maybe you should catch up with your group.
- 418. I don't wanna. Emmeline is there.
- 419. She's the new girl in our class,
and she's a bitch.
- 420. She stole my best friend Monica.
- 421. Me and Monica have been
best friends forever.
- 422. - Hmm.
- Since we were little kids.
- 423. But then, Emmeline came along
and stole her from me.
- 424. I'm devastated.
- 425. Mom said grudges are stupid.
- 426. She said you had to let them go
or else it would kill your soul.
- 427. What do you think?
- 428. I think your mom doesn't know
what the fuck she's talking about.
- 429. See, friends are overrated,
- 430. 'cause eventually, someone will come along
and shoot 'em in the stack.
- 431. You're better off alone.
- 432. Welcome home.
- 433. Hi, Mama.
- 434. Just let yourself in anytime you want.
- 435. You don't have any food in here.
- 436. No one will respect a skinny girl cop.
- 437. I'm not going to let you
get yourself killed because you wouldn't eat an enchilada.
- 438. Look at this mess.
When are you going to unpack?
- 439. I'm busy, that's all.
- 440. Too busy to put away your underwear?
- 441. I like it like this.
- 442. You're waiting for someone to come
and help you unpack,
- 443. and it's not your mother.
- 444. You know, you could always move
to someplace that's really yours.
- 445. Ana Luisa from the cleaners,
- 446. she told me there's a whole block
of new places near the Tenderloin.
- 447. No, no, Mama. This is my place.
- 448. I'm staying.
- 449. Yes, of course.
- 450. What do I know?
- 451. I'm just an old-fashioned woman.
Out of touch.
- 452. I've only got this life, and I'm not
planning to have another one.
- 453. Not this again.
- 454. How am I supposed to explain this
to your brothers and sisters?
- 455. Everyone at church?
- 456. To your father, God rest his soul?
- 457. That you've renounced
your religious coding.
- 458. Like you said, Papa's dead.
That should limit the explaining.
- 459. Sit down. We're going to eat.
- 460. Without your coding, you can be
spun back up after your body dies.
- 461. It's wrong.
- 462. You can't take your communion.
- 463. Father Huerta can't hear your confession.
- 464. When Papa died,
- 465. and we couldn't ask him what happened
or how it happened—
- 466. Your father was a devout man.
- 467. He would have never wanted
to be spun back up.
- 468. I know.
- 469. But if it were me?
- 470. What would you do, Mama?
- 471. Okay. I'll tell you, Kristin.
- 472. My heart would break
into a thousand pieces.
- 473. It would shatter my world.
- 474. I would cry enough
to fill up the oceans of the world.
- 475. And I still...
- 476. don't want you to risk your soul.
- 477. Now that the 653 stupidity is over,
- 478. there won't be any more talk
of spinning up the dead.
- 479. Fuck!
- 480. Don't say swear words.
- 481. I'm sorry.
- 482. Lieutenant Ortega,
target has entered Licktown.
- 483. Shit.
- 484. What is that, Kristin?
I gotta go.
- 485. I gotta go. Thank you.
- 486. Are you supposed
to have that at home?
- 487. Thanks for dinner!
I love you.
- 488. Wake up and smell the coffee.
- 489. Wake up and smell the coffee.
- 490. Wake up and smell the coffee.
- 491. Welcome to Jack It Off.
- 492. Leave the piece with me.
- 493. Cabin 102.
- 494. Take a towel from the pile,
and don't fucking steal it.
- 495. Do you want to see me?
I'm right here, baby.
- 496. Just a few credits.
- 497. Now, do you want to touch me?
- 498. Tell me what you want, honey.
- 499. Anemone.
- 500. Do you wanna fuck me?
- 501. Put your cock in me?
- 502. Anywhere you want.
- 503. Do you remember a girl...
I think she used to work here.
- 504. No girl who used to work here
is gonna do what I can do for you.
- 505. Her name was Lizzie.
- 506. Lizzie Elliot.
- 507. - You the sia?
- 508. Get out, before I call for help.
- 509. I'm Ava. Ava Elliot. Her mother.
- 510. Bullshit.
Lizzie's mom is in the store.
- 511. You're just another fucking John,
and I am going to scream.
- 512. Wait, wait, wait!
- 513. I'm cross-sleeved, but I'm her mother.
- 514. You're fucking lying.
- 515. I'm not lying.
Someone gave me a job, and...
- 516. took me off ice,
and then put me in this sleeve.
- 517. It's wetwork.
- 518. If I do it, I'll get a new sleeve
for me and for Lizzie.
- 519. You...
- 520. You'd do that?
- 521. I'd do anything for my little girl.
- 522. My mom would never...
- 523. But someone's blocking
Lizzie's resleeve, and I...
- 524. I don't know why.
- 525. That's why I have to find out
who killed her.
- 526. Do you know if Lizzie had any regulars?
- 527. Someone important
- 528. Mrs. Elliot... everyone here is a freak.
- 529. Lizzie did have one regular.
- 530. No.
- 531. I don't know. But he's a rich guy, a Meth.
- 532. Lizzie was his favorite.
- 533. No, no, he's not like that.
- 534. He takes care of his girls.
- 535. Takes care of them how?
- 536. Um...
- 537. What does he do?
- 538. Did he do that to you?
- 539. No. No, it's okay.
- 540. He's one of the good ones.
- 541. If he breaks it, he buys it.
- 542. You know, if he accidentally kills a girl,
he buys her an upgraded sleeve.
- 543. I knew a girl once,
he resleeved her ten years younger,
- 544. and with a great set of tits, too.
- 545. Did Lizzie have a jealous boyfriend
- 546. that didn't like her spending time
with this regular?
- 547. Look, I liked Lizzie,
but we weren't that close.
- 548. I'll ask around.
- 549. Come here tomorrow.
- 550. Doesn't matter how much anyone pays you.
- 551. You shouldn't let anyone hurt you.
You're worth more than that. My name's not Anemone, Mrs. Elliot.
- 552. It's Alice.
- 553. Thank you for visiting Jack It Off.
- 554. Hope you come again.
- 555. First thing you'll learn
is that nothing is what it seems.
- 556. Ignore your assumptions.
- 557. Don't trust anything.
- 558. Weapon.
- 559. - Ah-ah-ah. Just the charge cell.
- 560. You shouldn't have gone after my daughter.
- 561. I was just trying to find out
what happened to her.
- 562. You left a few things out.
- 563. You don't care about her.
- 564. I never said I did.
- 565. Heads up.
- 566. You can't possibly think I'm that stupid.
- 567. You shouldn't have come back.
- 568. Fuck!
- 569. BCPD. Lay down your weapons.
- 570. Who the hell are you CTAC?
- 571. 250 years ago, I was on the other side.
You might want to get out of the light.
- 572. Hands in the air!
- 573. You're under arrest for Organic Damage.
- 574. You're staying here tonight
where I can keep an eye on you.
- 575. You gonna tell me
why those guys jumped me?
- 576. You walk out of a whorehouse
dressed like that,
- 577. and you're shocked
that some lowlifes tried to mug you?
- 578. Really?
- 579. So, what, you gonna charge me?
- 580. For what?
Organic Damage to some Stiff dealers?
- 581. I'm too tired to do the paperwork.
- 582. Tell me something, Kovacs.
- 583. You're getting to know more
- 584. Why are you still willing to work
for that piece of shit?
- 585. Mmm, before I was an Envoy...
- 586. I worked for the Protectorate.
For a long time.
- 587. I didn't know that.
- 588. No one does. It's not the kind of work
that gets logged in any system anywhere.
- 589. And I was good at it.
- 590. You wanna know why?
- 591. Because I'm capable of almost anything.
- 592. You don't think it's possible to go so far
you can't come back?
- 593. Maybe.
- 594. When I get there, I'll let you know.
- 595. When you get there...
- 596. I'll be right next to you.
And I'll stop you.
- 597. Somehow, Ortega...
- 598. I get the feeling
you can't even stop yourself.
- 599. Sorry, Lieutenant. We have to release him.
- 600. This is not acceptable.
- 601. He's just fucking fine.
- 602. I'll speak with Captain Tanaka
in the morning.
- 603. You've gone too far this time,
- 604. That's what I hear.
- 605. Cold chamber seven is empty.
- 606. You should know...
- 607. your mother loves you.
- 608. What do you mean
you promised to send Vicki flowers?
- 609. The day of the murder,
I'd driven Vicki to the station
- 610. to get her train reservations.
- 611. You were with Vicki
the afternoon she was killed?
- 612. Yes.
- 613. Why didn't you tell the police?
- 614. Nice outfit.
- 615. I've been researching the famous
gumshoe private dicks of the past
- 616. and I believe I can assist you
in the time-honored position
- 617. of the shamus' dependable
and steadfast partner. Hmm?
- 618. The partner's frequently murdered.
- 619. Alas, me being an AI makes that, uh...
- 620. less likely.
- 621. No.
- 622. No?
- 623. "No" hardly qualifies as
the sardonic banter of the private eye.
- 624. How about, "Fuck, no"?
- 625. There's someone waiting for you
in the penthouse.
- 626. Why do you keep letting people
into my room?
- 627. I'm afraid I had no choice in the matter.
- 628. Why are you here?
- 629. I want to know what progress you've made.
- 630. I'm worried about my husband.
- 631. Your husband, who pays
to beat up whores in Licktown.
- 632. It's a complicated thing...
- 633. ... being with someone for over a century.
- 634. I've given Laurens 21 children.
- 635. He's never had a child with anyone but me.
- 636. Sometimes, complexity can be exhausting.
- 637. You fascinate me.
- 638. You come from a time of real bravery...
- 639. real risk.
- 640. You're everything this world has lost.
- 641. You twirl your fingers
when you're nervous, you know that?
- 642. Why would I be nervous?
- 643. It could be fear.
- 644. If I were afraid,
would you save me, Mr. Kovacs?
- 645. I'm not sure you need saving.
- 646. Have you been with anyone
since you've been decanted?
- 647. Not what we're talking about.
- 648. Maybe that's not
what you're talking about.
- 649. I think that's enough.
- 650. Enough?
- 651. It's an interesting word.
- 652. I'm not familiar with it.
- 653. Have you heard of Empathin?
- 654. Merge9 on the street.
That is if you can even get it.
- 655. It's a biochemical pheromone.
- 656. Puts bodies in touch with one other.
- 657. This sleeve is state-of-the-art
biochemtech from Nakamura Labs.
- 658. I secrete Merge9 when I'm aroused.
- 659. It's in my saliva...
- 660. in my sweat...
- 661. in my cunt.
- 662. Don't fight it.
- 663. Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.
- 664. I've had lustful thoughts.
- 665. Everything you feel... I feel.
- 666. And everything I feel, you feel.
- 667. I've done terrible things,
- 668. unforgivable things.
- 669. What the fuck?
- 670. The hell have you been?
- 671. I've abused my authority
for selfish reasons...
- 672. caused pain and heartbreak
when I had no right.
- 673. Please forgive me.
- 674. The moments of peace
that we find sometimes...
- 675. they aren't anything but warfare,
- 676. And sometimes, surrender...
- 677. can be as savage as any attack.